Search found 275 matches

Return

Re: INS and OUTS for 2024

Centrals have signed Jake Gasper, a small forward from Port Melbourne.
by northerner
Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CDFC 2023

UK Fan wrote:Dogs have signed Jake Gasper a 23 y.o forward from Port Melbourne

He attended our B and F night.
The last recruit who attended a B and F before signing was Harry Grant. Hopefully he has similar success.
by northerner
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

And now we nab a strong ball winning mid ourselves.
Wilson Barry a 187cm 21yo mid from Brissies VFL side, also Qld state team.
by northerner
Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mens ICC Cricket World Cup, India 2023.

Selectors are surely not going to keep Stoinis ahead of Labuschagne in the semi final.
Marnus had more impact in the field than Stoinis as a bowler, and is obviously a better bat.
by northerner
Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Outstanding effort. Captaincy was spot on, great rotation of bowlers and field placements.
Warner was outstanding in leading the fielding performance.

Half the battle done. Curtailed a great batting line up. Now need to take on a great bowling group.
Definitely glad we have Smith and Labuschagne now.
by northerner
Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Geez our couriers are all on the quiet side today.
by northerner
Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

whufc wrote:The Mayor of Brinky is back at the dogs as the ruck coach.

Still state his ‘little bro’ Mongrel is the better footballer and still playing ;) :lol:

Club is committed to Ryan Pickering, and a couple of new tall lads to carry the ruck. Buckets will be an asset in this regard.
by northerner
Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dogs have officially announced their 8th recruit. 19yo 203cm Harry Howe. Seen as a longer term prospect as he learns his craft under tutelage of Buckets McKenzie
by northerner
Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer 2023/24

Righto he’s gone.
So who opens in Adelaide?
Surely not Green or even Smith as has been discussed recently.
Bancroft for me deserves another chance and ironic he replaces Warner.

I think the biggest issue here is that Green has to be selected. He is too good to not be in the XI and can't be left waiting for Marsh to be moved on as that might be a while!
So I think it boils down to him opening or for another to move up. I would opt for the latter and Smith indicating he will do it suggests the chat has been had.
by northerner
Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow... sweating a bit in the witness box here... guilty, for having an opinion.

Bit quick on the forward defensive stroke there mate - just asking why you've formed your view (in response to your post on an internet forum about it).

Uzzie has had several interviews expressing his views, and how he can circumnavigate the system to have his views made on the field.
He has also been robust in his feelings about pink ball tests.
This has coincided with his worst series since his return.

Gawd, I forgot the cardinal rules for this group:
Go hard and smash away at anything Smith, Labuschange and Warner do, but don't dare speak evil of Carey, Head or Uzzie.

I mean I'm way quicker to defend Smith and Warner than most on here. Definitely happy to criticise Uzzie where due as well. I just find it really hard to buy that doing a couple of interviews about international affairs would have an impact on Uzzie protecting his wicket when he arrives at the crease. As if, as the bowler's running in to bowl against him during a test match, he could be thinking of nothing so much as current political issues in the Middle East.

An average of 37 for the series is not a bad return by the way. (Did Trav express support for Uzzie? That may explain Trav's crap form??)

I would've thought that people would be a bit more circumspect with the whole 'not focusing on cricket' nonsense after the Captain Woke winning the World Cup episode, but alas.

I also spend far more time defending players, than not. And I certainly don't zero in on one individual and rip in to them for every foible just because their personality irks me.
And I am an Uzzie fan. However I thought the to-ing and fro-ing over how he was going to get his message across in the first Test was OTT. During a test, anything that is not focused on the job at hand is potentially detrimental.

His summation on the Pakistani lineup just now on Fox was outstanding.
by northerner
Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dogs have officially announced their 9th recruit, Kade Dittmar.
He is a 20yo 188cm mid/defender who has played 2 seasons of regular league with Esat Perth.

Potentially 7 out of 9 of the newbees could play league in round one.
The two new talls are the least likely, with both being brought in as longer term propositions whilst they develop (with Pickering) under Buckets' guidance.

Selectors will have a nice challenge in fitting the new lads into the 22, considering our strong finish. They also have Ethan East to add.

From our last named side, only 3 are forced outs (Dahms, Hoskin and Linke). The squeeze is on.
Reasonably happy with recruiting so far.
Still disappointing that we haven't picked up a good key forward or a ready to play league footy ruckman.

Yep on the ruckman, but they are not readily available (as Spargo said).
In terms of the key forward, I would suggest Hugo Munn might be that guy. A few times last year he had a blistering start to a game, and then got thrown into the ruck and momentum was lost. I reckon he will be FT up forward this year.
The other aspect is that the Club has made it clear they felt the forwards were good enough (Lange, Munn, Grace) but the delivery they got needed improvement. There has been a big emphasis on recruiting guys who can run clear and deliver better service to the lads up front. And with Barry as a damaging mid size fwd and Dudley working hard on his fitness, I am excited with what we might see up fwd this season.
by northerner
Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Perhaps if we had pride in our nation during the Aussie Day test, we might have showed some courage.

All the negativity around Smith and yet he is likely to carry his bat in just his second test as opener.
by northerner
Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Trav needs to calm down, we don't need to get rhe runs tonight.

take it as it comes. this is how he will survive. (more of a chance than blocking) break them and get that ball soft

Excellent post
Posted before he got out
He did hit a massive 6 off a hoik then a pull that sizzled to the boundary
He also cover drove a ball thru the covers ala so so Sobers, Lara, Pollock. Hookes, like
But when he gets out , oooooooooh why did he play that shot for

He has one style- ATTACK
7 test tons, and some of the best you could see in test cricket are forgotten when gets out

Fact is Head is our least productive bat over the summer.
In the past 16 innings, he has passed 50 once. Smith and Labuschagne have passed fifty 4 times in the same time. ATTACKING attitude isn't a excuse for lack of output. That's sounding like a Bazzball moral victory statement.
by northerner
Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

With the exception of Green, the whole batting group one thru 7 is in their worst batting form of their collective careers.
This loss proves the Windies loss was not just a one off blimp. Guys who are decent quicks at best are looking like world champions.

When so many are out of touch, it becomes a coaching issue, in particular the batting coach.
by northerner
Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Alex Carey seals his immediate future. 10 catches and a match winning knock.

Once again individual heroics and our bowlers cover over major cracks... Head, Khawaja and Smith are all needing to earn their spots moving forward and should not be considered guarantees to play next summers crucial series.
by northerner
Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rd 1 North v Central @ Prospect Oval Friday 29/3 1.40pm

North side looks strong.
I'm surprised Pearce is in, would even rather see Lange or Pres there. Hope this year he can work in with Grace and I'd be very happy to be proven wrong. I haven't seen the pre season game form, but to me Lange and Pres are potential match winners, hope they play.
Pearce showed enough in the last trial, and even brought in some defensive efforts to his performance. Deserved his chance, hope he takes it.
by northerner
Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rd 1 North v Central @ Prospect Oval Friday 29/3 1.40pm

North had 70 plus more possessions and 10 more clearances. Dogs much better ball use.
Jezza led the way down back, while Fish showed there is still fight in the Old Dog.
North tag teamed Grant and he had no effect, fortunately Liddy, Larkins and Barry (potential jet) all stepped up.
Lange and Gasper look likely and Pearces first 30 mins was very positive.
For North, Wigg won plenty of ball and Lockyer was one of several decent fwds that North have that appear awkward to match up on.
by northerner
Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rd 2 Dogs v Crows @ Elizabeth Sat 2:30

It seems the Dogs circa 2024 are stronger than last season. And clearly the recruits, particularly Barry and Gasper, have had a big impact.
What cannot be discounted is the huge steps taken by some of the pre-existing playing group. Liddy and Larkins in the midfield, Dudley, Grace and Pearce up front and Will Splann down back are all much improved on previous outings.
Been a long time since the Dogs had two fwds (Pearce and Grace) kicking 5 each.
by northerner
Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rd 2 Dogs v Crows @ Elizabeth Sat 2:30

StrayDog wrote:Almost full points over the five grades over the weekend, only pinching a draw in the Dewies. :)

Even better than that...
6 wins and a draw.
League, reserves (draw)
U14s, U16s, U18s
Womensn League, Womens Devt side
by northerner
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 4 Central v Eagles

Solid team effort from the Dogs with lots of decent cameos.
Once again more efficient moving the ball inside 50.
Lange kicked 5 making it 4 different fwds have grabbed a SANFL Handful in the last 3 games.
Loved the efforts of Grant, Liddy and Barry in the middle and Grace is in career best form.
Presbury was outstanding in the first quarter before missing all the second getting 6 stitches inside his mouth. Still had an impact in the second half, before missing his award at presentations as he had to head off to get the stitches redone.

Credit to the eagles who fought it right thru. At times it looked as if the Dogs would kick away for a bigger W. Rowe was easily BOG with 30 plus disposals and two goals whilst Neumann pulled in a MOTY contender in the last quarter.

Pearce with a broken collar bone against his old Club.
by northerner
Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CDFC 2024

Stat leaders After 4 rounds...

Disposals: Grant 96, McLennan 93
Marks: McLennan 28, Lange 22
Contested Marks: Munn 6, Lange 5
Tackles: Schiller 24, Dittmar 22
Clearances: Liddy 21, Schiller 20
Goals: Grace 13.6, Lange 11.3, Gasper 10.3
Ranking Points: McLennan 360, Grant 347, Schiller 341
by northerner
Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: West v Central R5

Jack Callinan,18yo son of Ian "Nutta" Callinan will make his debut on Saturday. A half fwd with dad's finesse (22 disposals at 95% last week), here's hoping his family get over from Tassie for the occasion.

His inclusion means either Gasper hasn't made it back or we have made a second change from last week.
by northerner
Thu May 02, 2024 7:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 6 Central v Sturt

Max Monaghan to debut for the Dogs. He becomes the 7th of our 8 off-season recruits to play league this season.
Gasper has passed a fitness test and will come back in.
Dudley is out with his ankle injury and there is one other big out.

Perfect day for a perfect test of where both sides are at the minute
by northerner
Sat May 11, 2024 12:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 6 Central v Sturt

Having no McCormick makes things tough BUT great to have Gasper back in.
first loss for the year I think, unfortunately.
Yep, need someone to do something around the ground even if they can't win the tap. Last goal to Sturt, no one even rucked and Snelling had a clear run at goal.
Clearly a communication breakdown. Munn and pickering swapping at the interchange, and back up Thomas at full fwd.

Sturt combined possession football with a thirst for applying pressure on the ball carriers. For 5 weeks we have made opponents pay for their turnovers. Sturt didn't give too many of these.
Presbury, Liddy and Dittmar were best for the good guys IMO.
Sturt had no real passengers, and Snelling (despite a tag) is clearly a step above any other mid in this league.
I know Sturt had guys missing also, but at this stage of our overall development and depth, our injuries probably hurt us more than Sturts.
Of the 8 outs, only Grant will return after the break.
In better news, a star Doggie looks likely to return home in the next couple of weeks.
by northerner
Sat May 11, 2024 6:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 7 Central v Norwood

Monty will play league IMO.
by northerner
Wed May 22, 2024 7:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |