Search found 26 matches

Return

Re: 2023 Adelaide Footy League - Division 4

Coaching is an extremely tough gig and it’s very easy to point fingers.

Mitcham had poor numbers throughout preseason from my understanding which is a poor reflection on the playing group

From my minimal engagement with JC he seems to be a guy that puts his heart and soul into a job. Perhaps the playing group need to repay the faith and put half as much effort in as he has?
by scottroo
Wed May 24, 2023 4:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2023 Adelaide Footy League - Division 7

Seems to be worth every cent
by Brodlach
Thu May 25, 2023 9:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Brodlach wrote:Seems to be worth every cent

He gets F@(k all.

Lives directly across the oval, his old man is heavily involved in the club and has family members there.
by carey
Fri May 26, 2023 7:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2023 Adelaide footy League - Division 6

What’s the reason they have crashed so quickly?
Lack of Juniors feeding into the senior ranks for a number of years, aging area, a lot of new to Australia Families moving into the area are not Aussie Rules playing families.
What a soft, pathetic cop out for an excuse... didn't stop them winning back to back D7 A grade flags only a couple of years ago and peacocking around like kings of the world.

Truth is the players they had the last few years are the problem - loved life when going was good and bullying weak opposition, but as soon as life looks tough and they have to actually work for something they go running. Pea hearted downhill skiers.

I disagree with LM - I mean I hate seeing clubs struggle, and I feel for some of the loyal Brahma faithful, but the comp is actually probably better off without them - less dilution of players, less headaches, stronger local clubs, more accountability for glory hunters.

Honestly, Salisbury West going under is all that has saved them.. and Westies were a better organised / operating unit.
by The Bedge
Sun May 28, 2023 7:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Geoff Heard OAM

Huge congratulations to Geoff Heard on being awarded an AOM in Kings honors list yesterday

Heardy is a long standing Scotch man as well as a Life member of the League for his tireless work of rules & regs and more recently Historian of the League

Well done Geoff
by Executive Member
Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2023 Adelaide Footy League - Division 5

The Big Shrek wrote:Blackfriars.

No hot water. No shelter. No toilet paper. Steak sandwich with the lot $9 for something the size of a McDonalds cheeseburger.

Do better.

0/10.

Average club, average ground
by Bluedemon
Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grade Cricket

Agree with the points about getting rid of the D Grade altogether however then doesn’t the C grade face pretty much the same issue. Players who play D grade wouldn’t hang around and then the C grade faces the same problems.

If they wanted to really get serious then could they not have a similar setup to the SANFL? 1st and 2nd Grade then various underage teams which don’t necessarily have to be the same as SANFL. Players not selected in the 1st and 2nd grade could then play Turf Cricket for clubs that their district club potentially have ties with?

Clubs would need less ovals meaning less costs and then potentially put more money into community cricket making that better as well? Could be a stretch getting turf clubs to agree.
by Port Pirie Power
Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2023 Adelaide Footy League - Division 5

The reason we have chosen to move this player on is that this is not his first offence this year for damage to another clubs coaches box and interacting with spectators when he shouldn’t be. As much as you call BS this is true and we as a club don’t have the best record for yellow and red cards of late and we are trying really hard to minimise these situations. And if that means sacking a player then yeah that’s what we will do and continue to do after multiple warnings.
by one day I will
Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Reality is, not much anyone can do about it - and I'm sure all clubs at some points of the season or over the years have tried to manipulate selections to assist qualifying blokes.

Good luck to Para Hills if this is the path they choose - personally I'd be pissed if a player who hadn't played a game for the club walked into a finals side - especially the A grade. Still the player in question is a good player, and could make a difference in the big games, so guess as a club you weigh up the cost of winning over culture.
by The Bedge
Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2023 Adelaide footy League - Division 6

Good for the coaches though - don't have to worry about rotations. :lol:
by The Bedge
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They wouldnt do any homework, they would just use stats from playhq.

It's a quick easy click bait piece for the media knowing 1000's will click looking for their name or their friends name. It's not meant to be a serious indepth analaysis of a low division football league.
by whufc
Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

whufc wrote:They wouldnt do any homework, they would just use stats from playhq.

It's a quick easy click bait piece for the media knowing 1000's will click looking for their name or their friends name. It's not meant to be a serious indepth analaysis of a low division football league.

Correct.
by The Bedge
Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They wouldnt do any homework, they would just use stats from playhq.

Correct.
Not that I am saying this list is a "serious in-depth analysis" but If they just used stats from playhq then there would be Hackham, Mawson Lakes and Brahma blokes at the pointy end.
But I reckon No 32 should be a lot higher up, and there are much better players than the No1 going around.
by Mr Beefy
Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tend to think there's a huge difference to between circumstances of a club who accepts that they are in the need of cultural evolution, but also know that this doesn't happen overnight as opposed to those who regard perceptions of a need for cultural change as overblown or a conspiracy.

Realistically, a club who accepts there's something they need to work on will in turn work on it leading to change. It's the sticking the head in the sand approach that is more troublesome.
by jo172
Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grade Cricket

Northern Jets have pulled out their women's 1st Grade team from the competition. Scorpions going well but it leaves things a bit fragile at grassroots level if clubs are going to keep falling over.

Seems strange that we are happy to run 4 grades in the men's competition, yet in Women's first grade one of the clubs in the biggest growth areas in the state pulls out of the competition.

Something seriously wrong with the thinking about the way we can progress cricket in this state.

Why don't we change tack, let's forget about an eight team competition and change the culture of the Redbacks, more importantly the old boys club that still permeates selection of teams and squads in this state.

Will we win a shield in the 21st century?

I have no idea what point you are making here. Whilst the Redbacks set up is dysfunctional this issue relates to the culture of a "premier" cricket club, who withdraws their first grade team from the competition 2 days before the season starts. Pathetic.

Will Darcie Brown be playing second grade when available?

The standard of premier cricket has dropped to it's lowest standard ever in my view - SD would struggle against ATCA sides. Many sides are now just replicating what they see at state level with interstate/overseas recruits. When the money runs out, and it always does, there is nothing left other than a poor performing club with poor culture = shit standard of cricket.
by Gosaints
Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2024 Adelaide Footy League -Division 2

Everyone playing for second
Goody saints won't lose a game.

Don’t underestimate Rocs.
They will recruit well (a couple of Jonas boys, plus others), and will not lose much.

Them & Goodies top 2 for sure.

Hard to think these 2 were the best div 1 sides in 2020….

There is a reason why D1 is easily the best grass roots competition in SA and that’s because of the depth of standard. Other comps go on about the best sides in their leagues, if you go past the top 2-3 the sides when comparing then D1 is streets ahead at both league and reserves level compared to any other league in SA. You can fall off pretty quickly as we all know.
by LaughingKookaburra
Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2024 Adelaide Footy League - Division 6

Don’t sleep on Salisbury, going to be near impossible to stop with their recruiting drive and their home ground advantage.. Sean Hee, Brad Prior and James Gameau the first 3 of many signings!

The demons will be okay

Elizabeth will still suck

Salisbury losing Mitchell slater to Golden Grove will be a big loss for them.
Slater to Golden Grove confirmed
Barmby must be a quality human. Poaching players from his home club who battled to field a side 12 months ago. Also going after other Salisbury players. Not sure div 1 success will be built off div 6 players until there next ex afl recruit arrives.
by Purple Warrior
Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2024 Adelaide Footy League - Division 7

Your value is what someone else is willing to pay so goodluck to them if they can get it.
Problem is someone, somewhere IS willing to pay it.. and these mongers ply their trade jumping from club to club with nothing but their own self interests at hand.. especially in the lower grades.

Chuck in some photo shaking hands with a coach or president looking all staunch like the savior, and have everyone kiss their arse for 10min only further adds to the inflation of ego and vindication.

I'd be a massive advocate for sliding/scaled salary cap from D1 to D7, and further more scaled max player payment for the division.

Sadly it's as much about protecting the club against themselves as it is about the integrity of the competition.
by The Bedge
Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2024 Adelaide Footy League - Division 7

Both to be honest. Some players know they have worth - or at least discover it when a club contacts and then seem to test the waters around the place.. but clubs are straight onto potential recruits.

Our players this year, I was looking forward to a break at the end of footy season - less than a week after the GF players getting texts from other clubs about next year, so had no choice but to get back to work and lock them away.

Yeah, my mate did say that a few clubs had been messaging his lad straight after the H&A season, and a few more since then, and a couple wanting to "catch up"

Social media makes it a hell of a lot worse as well with players feels a great sense of worth if they see themselves on a post saying they're the big club recruit. It puts alot of pressure on the volunteers responsible for keeping players at their own club.

Perhaps a transfer fee could also be a part of a cost paid to clubs who lose a player. If club X has to stump up $500 to sign a player from club Y you wouldn't have as many moving or clubs be willing to raid others.
by SecretInformant
Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2024 Adelaide Footy League -Division 2

Now that we have come out the other side of Covid (I think) the return of the mass player movements to country leagues is back on and seemingly bigger than ever. Here's the big catch with what a city-based country player can earn. A player in 2024 can be paid 85c per KM for every KM over 100KM in the round trip for a game (up from 75c).

And to keep it simple the distance is calculated on the location of the home ground. Using Wallaroo as an example. That is a round trip of 322KM from Adelaide. So a player can be paid 222 @ 0.85 = $188 for travel that doesn't get counted in the Cap. So when you hear of a player getting $500 per game then it might only be $300 per game for salary cap purposes and the other $200 being the legal travel payment.

This to me is the biggest issue with the salary cap rules for us city clubs losing players to the country. And I don't think many city slicker footy people are aware of the generosity of the travel allowance - well you are now if you are reading this. This also means that a player could just be receiving a tidy amount for travel without getting paid a cent to actually pay. The whole travel thing is even more curious when you consider that most city based players car pool or even get mini bussed to games.

Again using Wallaroo as an example. If they have 10 players travelling from the city, that's $1880 per week in addition to the $3275 per week Salary Cap they can quite lawfully pay. It is true that a city club that apply travel allowance to a country based person to play in the city but that's pretty rare.

This puts into some perspective that many country clubs accused of paying overs are probably quite legal due to the benefits of the travel allowance. I know it's designed to help keep country clubs and leagues going and my appreciation of the importance of footy to country towns has changed from a "stuff em" attitude some years back, but I think this is a significant free kick to leagues beyond the closer country areas.
by Down the Hill
Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't know if you genuinely believe the tripe you put on here, or are just the ultimate troll.

Eastern Park - I can't recall them ever being in D6 to be honest. Not in the last 15yrs anyway.
Salisbury have dropped the past couple years but regularly around the D4-D5 mark.
Fitzroy have been in D6 for a while, and have a pretty healthy junior program.
Elizabeth had a good year in D6, and a bad year in D5, but have been around the D5-D6 mark for a while.

None of these sides have "tried the easy way and came crashing down". You also have no actual support to say they were paying stupid amounts for average players.

Clubs will fit where they may - not everyone can be a D1 - D2 club.
by The Bedge
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sadly it reconfirms there simply is too many teams in the northern burbs. Could be wrong but it feels there is always one of the clubs who just cant fill a side. Was Smithfield, now Elizabeth. EP appeared to really struggle with the b grade last year, that wont be a problem this year.
No, sadly it just reaffirms that the merry go round of players are to the detriment of the clubs. They pick and choose where they play, when they play based on how that side is looking. When the going is good, they're all keen, when it looks like there is work to be done they drive 5min down the road to the next hot club.

Wasn't long ago Smithfield went from D7 to D4 and were flying... Elizabeth won the flag onto 3 years ago from memory.. Eastern Park almost made the D5 Grand Final a few years back. Brahma Lodge won a stack of flags in D7 and last year could barely field a one team, now they're all back.

Every club has a core group of committed players and hard working volunteers - but are let down by players who choose to take the easy path on the hunt for premiership success.

Using too many clubs is a cop out and shit excuse - don't hear clubs south of the CBD saying the same - Mitchell Park, Kenilworth, Flinders Uni, Marion, SHOC would all be within a stones throw of each other.. or to the West - Portland, Pt Districts, Henley, Seaton, Rosewater, North Haven etc.
by The Bedge
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Can't be good for Elizabeth. Looking for a coach this close to the season. What's going on out there?
I can't tell you for certain what's happening, I think at this point blokes are just leaving to avoid a sinking ship.
That is just making it worse.

We have a core group of players that just want the club to stay alive, we may unfortunately be down to 1 team for this year, but thats better than folding.
by HBF39
Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Average looking sling tackle 2nd quarter EP v Lutheran. Could be a holiday then the follow up by a different player of push on Lutheran water runner. Lutheran water runner definitely first to make contact so be interesting to see if league take any action. I'm sure if Lutheran bloke had concussion from tackle that they will send in a medical report like they usually do to make it seem worse. 31.20 mark on dartfish.
Not sure there is much in it (sling tackle), but geez old mate from EP (is that nugget?) clearly seeing if the player is ok and has one bloke get in his face then the water boy push him, could've got out of control if the player was and aggressive person.. rule #1 for a water boy, don't go touching oppo players.

Sling tackle definitely didn’t look bad but probably has a case to answer for if they are trying to stamp it out of the game, he’s the smallest bloke in the field as well and only real young so he’s been pretty stressed since.. Yeah the water boy gave nugget a decent shove, video doesn’t do it justice at all but the umpire only pinged us and seen both incidents just thinks there was “nothing in it” when the water boy put his hands on one of our players! Dont expect much else from the umpires in this grade to be fair
by #bleedredandblue
Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

100 goals is impossible whuffer - would literally need to be kicking a goal like every 45 seconds for 4 quarters.

How Fitzroy got 80+ is still beyond belief. Quarters are 20min (plus time on).. must’ve been some fast clearance + goal work.
Maybe Fitzroy supplied their time keeper. Same bloke who let an A grade game run longer to ensure a draw last season.
by Purple Warrior
Mon May 06, 2024 8:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah and you made yourself sound stupid! Elizabeth do suck, all their players suck, some good people at the club but doesn’t change the fact they suck! You tried returning fire but have absolutely no idea what your talking about you big dork, I was just spitting facts at your stupid comment :) :) :)

I sound stupid because I didn't care to find out about your mediocre Amateur league 'career'.
Sit down before you hurt yourself mate.[/quote]

bleedredandblue would be the first player picked in my team. I’ve been on the other side of the fence and he’s the hardest player to get a match up on.
Wish I was that ‘mediocre’ :D
by Yank Man
Thu May 16, 2024 8:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |