Search found more than 1112 matches

Return

Re: Brad Gotch Departs Panthers

A lot can change in 6 weeks...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/local-footy-sa/sanfl/south-adelaide/sanfl-bradley-gotch-to-stay-with-south-adelaide-as-coach/news-story/9b7d6916ba3764d5dfa36576f28c7764

“I’m contracted at South for next season and I’m sitting at my desk right now looking at my player list,” Gotch said. “I’m also working on what areas we need to work on, and I’ve interviewed the local boys for recruiting purposes.

“ I’m happy as Larry at South, there are no dramas there. No one has approached me in Melbourne to coach.”
I wonder which 'Larry' he was referring to? It seems Gotch may have morphed into this Larry, at least in the eyes of some Southies...

I0kfe5tkdD4
by Magellan
Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Save the Tigers

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:& the win was more than 85/6 combined.

I wish that were the case SY, but IIRC the margin in 1985 was 57 points, and 1986 was 48 points. :-B
by Magellan
Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Surely, from a purely SANFL point of view, having less players drafted is a good thing?
by Magellan
Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Was there for lunch today
Trio of dips for entree
Yiros plate
Lamb skewers
Paley and a coke with voucher down to $50ish

8.5/10

Absolutely devine.

Either the proprietor is a former Geelong coach, or you should've come out with a house and land package. ;)
by Magellan
Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You know you're nearing 40 in Adelaide, when you remembe

Does anyone remember the Big Ticket nightclub in Hindley street?
I was in Hindley street Friday night after the cricket and I remembered the good times there!
If you couldn't handle the long line up that winded its way down those stairs you could always pop across the road to a classy establishment known as the Royal Admiral. I don't know if my mind's playing tricks, or it was something a friend told me ;) , but I'm sure it had chicks dancing in cages above the bar.
by Magellan
Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you sad.

75 people perished in a plane crash in Medellin, Columbia last night. The plane was carrying members of the Brazilian Chapecoense de Brasil soccer club. Three players survived, along with three others.

Not only is it of course tragic that there has been another air disaster, but the additional tragedy is that it's ripped the heart out of a sporting team.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/plane-crash-carrying-brazilian-soccer-players-in-colombia-20161129-gt04ot.html
by Magellan
Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Vale Bill Barrot.

I know Barrot made his bones playing for Richmond, but he was also playing-coach of West Torrens in 1973 and for part of 1974. He passed away yesterday, aged 72.

Here's his famous 90 metre goal from 1973, at 3':40":

Qp6kwVu5H-I

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmond-tigers-dual-premiership-hero-billy-barrot-dies-20161129-gt062e.html
by Magellan
Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I agree with Dutchy. The more you mess with it, the more the integrity of the comp is damaged.
Either something has integrity, or it doesn't. The SANFL sold its integrity for the metaphorical equivalent of a turd covered in glitter with a note attached saying 'by the way, this is not a turd'.

Whilst I agree with capping, it won't restore integrity until the reserves side are removed. We're still shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic.
by Magellan
Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL starting women's league in 2017

Pseudo wrote:The Tigresses, the Hens, the Red Pantyhose and ... no, I won't say it.....

The Black and Red Menstrual Show?
by Magellan
Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lightning McQueen wrote:
shoe boy wrote:That Pauline Hanson breathes the same oxygen that I do .

Queensland air is different to ours.

The chemical symbol for oxygen in Queensland is XXXX.
by Magellan
Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

Booney wrote:Das is nicht so gut!

Jack wrote:Wenn Sie für eine Pisse sprengen
Sie hängen für, was scheint, eine Ewigkeit zu sein
Sie kommen endlich zu einem Urinal oder Toilette oder wo auch immer, und Sie pissen
Eines der angenehmen Erfahrungen des Lebens, manchmal so gut wie Sex

Edited for cultural appropriateness.
by Magellan
Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Celebrity Casualties

Andrew Sachs, the man who played Manuel in "Fawlty Towers", has passed away following a four year battle with dementia, aged 86.

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/andrew-sachs-dead-actor-who-played-manuel-in-fawlty-towers-dies-at-86-20161201-gt2ei1.html

Here's arguably his greatest exchange with Basil:

s6EaoPMANQM
by Magellan
Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2017 AFL Season

Maybe doing some burnouts and driving like a flog?
Would think the police would do blood tests and perhaps he has nothing in his system
Yeah, the burnout-hoon theory is possible, although I would've thought the witnesses mentioned in the news story would've said something to that effect?

Presuming he wasn't questioned and tested last night (no mention of it in the story), if he was intoxicated at the time, a blood test taken today is not going to prove he was over the limit at 7pm last night.
by Magellan
Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL 360 - (and other Foxtel footy programs)

The Footy Show jumped the shark yonks ago, so replacing Brayshaw with Hutchy is simply shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic. That said, Brayshaw was such a crap host, tried so hard to be part of the team but never really was a part of it.
by Magellan
Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL 360 - (and other Foxtel footy programs)

MatteeG wrote:BT would be better if he called the game like he does on radio

I'd be happier if Brother BT took a vow of silence.
by Magellan
Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I presume Aidyn Johnson was penalised by the leadership group because (a) he could've done something to stopped Impey from getting in the car and didn't (on the presumption Impey appeared to have been drinking to an extent that would've impaired his driving, putting aside DUI levels), or (b) should've done something once the incident had occurred more than he did.

if it's the latter, then fair enough, on the basis he did something wrong. So what did Johnson do once the prang(s) happened? This hasn't been explained from what I have read. I can only guess that he must've scarpered as well. If so, I guess he might be up for a charge of fleeing the scene too?

If it's the former, then what about the others who let Impey get in the car, like Monfries or other Port players who were in attendance? If he did appear drunk such that getting behind the wheel was a bad idea, then a spindly 19 year old kid with no games under his belt is not the guy who should be penalised. He's hardly going to tell an experienced player and team-mate like Impey to whom he may well look up to not get in the car.
by Magellan
Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great news for Roughie and all those close to him, and very good news for the Hawks for 2017 because his on-field presence is a key ingredient in their recipe for finals success.
by Magellan
Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wedgie sounds like he's funemployed.
by Magellan
Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I need to know....

Anyone else teetering on the edge of a colossal close-to-the-end-of-the-year blow up?

People are boiling my piss in an instant today. Clueless customers asking the stupidest ******* questions all ******* day, I tell you....I ******* tell you!

How long 'til I'm on ******* holidays then?

https://66.media.tumblr.com/129ccdb8ebfb9e4d15b450d6e4d7718b/tumblr_np192v5jAf1srm6rfo1_r1_500.gif
by Magellan
Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2017

therisingblues wrote:
Magellan wrote:Can't wait to see who wins the 2017 MacGarey Medal!

They'll need to build a bigger restaurant to host that event.

Dunno, I reckon they'll just ask the winner to drive through and pick it up on the way.
by Magellan
Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Peter Dutton calls for pro-Christmas uprising against 'political correctness gone mad'

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/peter-dutton-calls-for-prochristmas-uprising-against-political-correctness-gone-mad-20161214-gtbj63.html

Because there's just not enough Christmas stuff happening in Australia at the moment, in case you haven't turned on a television or walked into a shop since about October.

Probably something to do with Labor doing away with Christmas
Ah, no...a school in Kedron had a Christmas event and no carols were sung. Batten down the hatches everyone, it's time to go to the mattresses! Political correctness gone mad! In one school!

If this kind of thing really makes his blood boil (as he claims), then I advise everyone to write him a Christmas card with all references to Christmas crossed out and 'happy holidays' or a non-Christian religious event written over it, so that way his head might actually explode and we can be done with him for good.
by Magellan
Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Cory Bernardi to form his own breakaway conservative party?

At least this way we'll get to find out how many people comprise the downtrodden majority silenced by the left wing apparatus of the 'elite media', progressive values, and all the other stuff that's holding us back from reliving the fifites.

I suspect it's not as many as young Cory thinks. But it could definitely split the One Nation vote if it goes ahead.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/do-turnbull-a-favour-windsor-urges-bernardi-to-defect-and-says-malcolm-turnbull-should-piss-or-get-off-the-potty-20161221-gtg617.html
by Magellan
Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

17 is only 1 less than an on-field playing side.
http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/shared/characters/kids/token-black.png?height=165

ylH43Tcaj60

tWqKiqTfXuA

Why even bother?
The SANFL can't say they haven't turned their mind to the concerns raised by the clubs, and it can keep it's perceived real bosses happy. Pissing off the Crows and Power means the toys will be chucked out the SANFL cot faster than you can say 'four thousand per game'.

It represents a win-win outcome for SANFL middle management looking to keep their jobs and/or itching to get a better one with the AFL by scratching its soft, white, purulent underbelly.
by Magellan
Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glenelg Oval Overhaul

Word is the Bay redevelopment has been renamed "Kokomo" because they want to get there fast and then they'll take it slow.
by Magellan
Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

Spending the last 8 days holidaying in Hanoi and Guangzhou.
by Magellan
Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Richard cheese

Hilarious stuff. Great album titles, I think "Aperitif for Destruction" is my favourite.
by Magellan
Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Pseudo wrote:
Magellan wrote:Image

Forty years hence, this is still the best reason to invest in a decent HiFi system.

True. Turn it up loud enough, and you can almost hear the clinking of the ice in Richard Burton's scotch glass.
by Magellan
Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

A real-life Fawlty Towers story!

IN AN exchange that sounds like a scene from Fawlty Towers, a Bendigo man says a publican removed $5 worth of his meal in order to settle a price dispute.

When Matt Ingram queried a price discrepancy on a plate of pasta at the Golden Square Hotel in Bendigo, publican Ashley McKenzie didn’t refund the difference or throw in a free drink or garlic bread.

Instead, he allegedly snatched the final mouthfuls of the meal from Ingram’s plate to even up the ledger, leaving his customer flummoxed — and quite hungry — and sparking a social media backlash.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/restaurants-bars/pub-owner-removes-part-of-patrons-meal-after-he-complains-about-price/news-story/ef67383694dd04ee4844a0baec626506
by Magellan
Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Made the move to Melbourne.

Glad to hear you've found gainful employment CM. Melbourne's great place to live, I've always thought it was like a bigger version of Adelaide.

Good luck buying a property for a reasonable price! Not a cheap place to buy anything that's close to anywhere decent.
Yep I agree with you Magellan. With work being on the Northen side of town, prices this way are a little more reasonable. Still I estimate 20% higher than home. Give or take. So if your not fussed about being close to the CBD it's doable. Brand new townhouse 3 bed, 2 bath, 2 car out here probably $400 k.

The area I am living in, it's a 5 min walk to a train station and 40 min ride to the G. I can handle that!
Sounds pretty reasonable. As for the inner suburbs, forget it. Great places to live, but impossible to buy into.

Hopefully you're also only a fixie ride away from a local organo-vegan food truck that sells wheatgerm stuffed-crust pastry burgers made out of Guatemalan goat's cheese from a guy in a beard, cardigan and trucker cap. ;)
by Magellan
Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No one is putting an oppinion out on James Hird.

Plenty of views on Hird expressed in the AFL section.

Also, if you knew your post was in the wrong thread before you hit 'submit', why didn't you put it in the right thread instead of apologising for something you could've fixed?
by Magellan
Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: US

So can someone tell me why many think Hillary and Bill are so evil? I don't follow the US election and just looking for clarity.
Career politicians who have collaborated in the last 25 years or so to dominate their side of politics and wield power in the White House for furthering their own interests. Think of something like Mr and Mrs Underwood in "House of Cards".* I think the Yanks like to refer to them and the organization that they've created around themselves as "Clinton Inc".

*Not necessarily my view.
by Magellan
Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

He's lots of things.

I'm waiting/hoping for life forms from another planet to come down and wave their arms/appendages around "Nope, nope, that's enough. We've been watching you lot **** this place up for long enough, but this, this, this was the last straw. We're back in charge now"
Reckon it might be too late for that. I think they'll whizz by us and instead visit next door where they can chat sensibly to Matt Damon and Kevin Sheedy's martians.
by Magellan
Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is my favourite forum and note that no one has posted for a while where previously was new posts daily so i thought i would just post anyway.

I love sanfl and hate afl footy -- love all football player of any grade
Keep the homefires burning, oldfella.

Patience, grasshopper - there'll be plenty of teeth-gnashing to come once the season proper kicks off.
by Magellan
Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is my favourite forum and note that no one has posted for a while where previously was new posts daily so i thought i would just post anyway.

I love sanfl and hate afl footy -- love all football player of any grade
Completely agree Oldfella.
I think that the existence of the AFL reserves in our competition has killed off the passion for the majority of those that used to post throughout the summer. I now find that ironically, when posters talk about this thing that has largely killed off discussion on this forum, there are people who will post basically to yell them to shut up and move on! So you have to be careful not to disturb the silence at times.
Definitely some truth in that. Mind you, at least from my club's point of view, there's not much going on to discuss during this off-season. Which is only marginally more quiet that during any of the last few on-seasons. :?

That said, I understand North have re-recruited into the fold former benefactor, businessman and philanthropist Rob Gerard as a sponsor. The cogs are spinning pretty fast down at Prospect. Hopefully he can bankroll some more recruiting before off-season's end ( :lol: ), or lend his likeness to the creation of an exclusive Rob Gerard poker machine that pays out only if you do its bidding.
by Magellan
Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I reckon both AFL teams should make the SANFL finals this year.
Doesn't leave much room for the real league clubs,Norwood could be the trend setters of this group.
The roosters,tigers and bloods will probably struggle to avoid the spoon given their recent 2016 form.
Not if they are riddled with injuries which I hope will happen just to make things fair
Careful now...too many injuries and the dreaded permit system might suddenly rear its ugly head.
by Magellan
Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Redlegs redevelopment.

Good news, easily my fav away ground to visit. If they could redevelop their supporters things would be perfect! ;)

That's a bit rich coming from the grog squad. Not too many rocket scientists amongst that lot.
I'm glad you like the ground. Make sure you come into the club rooms and see what its like to win Premierships in this millennium
If I wanted to do that I'd head to Elizabeth - won more flags, and their club-rooms actually exist.
by Magellan
Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Crows 2017

bennymacca wrote:They did have James Squire Porter too though for when it got really cold. But I wish they would just put bottles of golden ale in there too

True, not a bad drop. Not as good as Coopers Stout at Footy Park, though! :drinkers:
by Magellan
Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hazydog wrote: Come to think of it... what exactly is a blockbuster?

I dunno, but it's not this.

Wedgie wrote:2017 Statewide Super Women’s League Friday night season opener at Coopers Stadium on 17th February.
by Magellan
Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:How can the women possibly have double-headers....yet the men can't.....

Seems very difficult to achieve, at least from what I've seen on the internet.
by Magellan
Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Should Australia Day date be changed?

My preference would be to move it to ANZAC day, which is often sighted as the "birth" of our nation and the first time we came out from behind the shadows of Britain.
Weren't we sent to off to fight at the request of the Poms, all part of Churchill's plan?

Anyhoo, I must beg to differ. ANZAC Day commemorates the sacrifice of those people who served across multiple conflicts. I don't see a focus on Gallipoli as any reason for national celebration, let alone acknowledging a coming of age. The ANZACs were sent to be slaughtered.
by Magellan
Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Don't really care too much, because I'm not sure what in particular we ought to be 'celebrating', apart from a day off work. ;) I look at Australia as a place with a relatively short past that is characterised by its share of good and bad history. Also, I'm not really one for jingoism, patriotism and running around with flags, particularly one with another country's flag on it.

However, I do think the type of civil society we've developed deserves recognition, although I can't help but feel this is starting to fray at the ends and we're seeing this with the current trends in ours and other nation's politics.

That said, happy for it to be moved to a date. Not sure which date would be appropriate, though. Plenty of stakeholders to consult with!
by Magellan
Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The voters in the Rustbelt states that looked to Trump to bring back their jobs etc will ultimately be the ones who judge whether he 'made America great again.' Trump certainly has his work cut out for him on at least that front, given that protectionism policies doesn't work.
by Magellan
Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: General tv discussion thread - good, bad, axings etc etc

For someone who has very little time for the monarchy and the fluffy nonsense and fuss that goes with it, I've really enjoyed watching "The Crown." Great performances, a good dose of family drama (not too melodramatic), and an interesting look into recent history from a different perspective - for example, the family tensions that arose during and after the abdication of King Edward. I presume, as with all historical recreations, that some license has been taken.

And John Lithgow's performance of Winston Churchill is very, very impressive indeed. Worth tuning in for (for want of a better word in the streaming age) just to see that.
by Magellan
Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Australia will become a Republic one of these days, then we can celebrate "Australia Day" on that date, for that reason :D

These are my thoughts as well, sooner the better too.

Once its done (breaking away from monarchy), would like to see something like a 4 day weekend in June, taking over existing Queens Birthday - the Friday could be "Recognition Day" or perhaps "Mabo Day", and the Monday could be "Australian Sovereignity Day".
Agreed. Once we cast of the shackles of the monarchy we can genuinely celebrate Australia as a truly sovereign and unique nation, comprised of indigenous origins, Anglo foundations, and European and Asian (and now African ) influences, complete with our own head of state.
by Magellan
Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Player movement 2017

oldfella wrote:be warned westies will be back in the 8 this year and we will be hunting the eagles in the grand final

My team's looking to break into the top 8 as well. ;)
by Magellan
Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"Dear Paul what I meant to say was the AFL sides are the lifeblood of a vibrant SANFL and we're too scared to upset them in case they call us names and stuff. You can see how difficult footy administration these days can be. Put you down for 4 memberships then? OK. Love Nick."
by Magellan
Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

2016 financials.

Just received North's financials by email (in fact, mine was addressed to '[Firstname]'). :roll:

Not sure if other clubs have posted their results from last year (apologies if missed), so thought I'd dedicate a new thread to it.

Profit of $375,420, an increase from $322,547 last year. Debt down to $2.10 million, down from $2.58 million last year.

Another pokie premiership for the Chooks, the dynasty continues.
by Magellan
Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How is it that something like discussing a date being changed, or Mundine saying he wont stand for the anthem can create such venomous attacks/discussion/hatred.. but yet things like legalising marijuana, increased interest rates, higher cost of living expenses, statewide power outages, murders, pedophile attacks etc etc all just go past everyone without a second look and very little discussing/interest?!

Honestly, the media has so much to answer for, i really feel like they're trying to build this hatred and divide in this country.. they know removing a snippet of conversation from a controversial person, then manipulate it as a "breaking headline" and plaster it all over the place.

Seems to me they only ever publish articles that they know are going to cause friction - articles about outspoken athletes, misbehaviour from athletes, articles about minority groups and articles about religions such as Muslim.

What ever happened to just reporting the news? Like actual proper news?
Depends where you get your 'news' from, of course.
by Magellan
Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

MatteeG wrote:
Magellan wrote: Or "wardrobe malfunction".

Useless without pics...

by Magellan
Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |