Search found 519 matches

Return

Re: SAAFL FINALS WEEK 1 (FINAL)

North Haven did well to get a 9 C Grade 6 D Grade player in.

Aside from that aberration all other players seem to be 50/50 higher lower grades along with a few blokes who on the face of it don't need a permit.
I was a bit shocked to see that actually but he's played the last 6 games in the D grade.

Thanks for posting the permits list Beefy, I was looking for it but couldn't find it.
Good luck to them, I'd be scratching my head if I was one of the Clubs with a rejected permit though because usually the played last 6 dosn't overcome the 50/50 rule (as far as I'm aware in any event)
I thought the same thing, the 50/50 games played rule usually overrules every another scenario, obviously not on this occasion.

We were trying to work it out at training Tuesday night for our B grade this week with regards to the A grade having the week off and which guys who have played both grades are available this week . The only guy who I thought could possibly get a permit got one anyway, the other few possibles I ruled out because they're played more A grade.

It's just funny how the league work it sometimes.

I think with that one they should go back to the old system (or possibly the system which has only existed in my head).

You submit an A Grade Team Sheet this week. You're only allowed to change your team sheet for next week with a doctor's certificate that a player is unavailable for an illness/injury sustained that week (and obviously they can't play lower).

Again open to manipulation, but seems fairest.
by jo172
Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

wonder_kid wrote:Even the 2 Westminster boys that got rejected were 12 A grade 4 B grade lol what were they thinking lol

Don't get what you don't ask for I guess! (And hey, worked out for one club!)
by jo172
Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Also feel a bit for PAOC. The Clubs competing in Div 1 and 2 along with 8/8R/C2-C4 are put in a difficult position potentially landing some blokes in no man's land for this/next week.
by jo172
Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

PAOC had a fair crack though.
Didn't they just, must've been way off.
They mustn't have read the permit guidelines very well then - a lot of those blokes played mostly D2R and some didn't even play in the D8 side! :shock: :roll:

Bit tough considering it's round 18 in D2R though.

If they're not in the best 42 this week and can't play in D8, C2 or 8R it seems a bit tough on the blokes involved given they wouldn't need a clearance next week.

It's a tough situation as obviously if you don't make them require clearances you leave yourself wide open to the potential for manipulation.
by jo172
Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: C1 - season 2015

marbles wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:New lows - so now you're saying a C1 side can beat a D1R side? :roll: :lol:

well our B-Grade beat Portland Div1R by 200 points last week

im sure the calibre of Goodwoods CGrade could take Portlands Div1R side

For what it's worth he's right. Portland's reserve side is very average
by jo172
Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL FINALS WEEK 2 (DRAFT)

C3 are playing at Park 9 (PAC) because PAC will be at Thebby cos they can't have home finals. (sponsored by Jimmy_041)

So C1 is at University Oval?

DOH, now I'm getting confused.

C1 is playing at park 9

C3 is playing at the main oval in the 10.15am game

D1 is playing at the main oval

D7 are playing at Park 10.

I think we've got it covered 8)

Thank Heavens the Crows are playing on Sunday. Sounds like parking will be enough of a nightmare as it is!
by jo172
Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL FINALS WEEK 2 (DRAFT)

I always like the surrealness of having two completely unaligned reserves sides playing against one another in an oval on the over side of town. Before our Preliminary Final at Seaton a few years back (what a day!) Pembroke OS and Athelstone were playing. I enjoyed the strangeness, impracticability and ability to say G'Day to some people from different clubs.
by jo172
Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 7 - 2015

Oh the banter this week is going to be GOLD!
Thread ban for HDFC posters ;)

As if, there's no stopping the mighty Raiders machine. I did find it bemusing yesterday in the reserves that Houghton being the highest ranked team wore their brown shorts, as they should, but Adelaide Uni wore their black shorts, must have assumed it was just another home game. Arrogance at its best . :D

Never attribute malice to something that can be adequately explained by incompetence ;)
by jo172
Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Clubs in strife

12 months after both clubs are on their knees both Kilburn and Mitchell Park make Grand Finals.

Very impressive all things considered.
by jo172
Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bigshow82 wrote:How does both Houghton and Mitchell Park feel about the fact only the winner on Saturday will be promoted next season?

Given the current chasm between 6 and 7 I suspect may even a tiny bit relieved (unofficially) ;)
by jo172
Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Also, for what it's worth morell is right in the sense there are players in Div 7 capable of playing in the higher/highest grades. If Josh Davis was still out at PNU he definitely would have played (if not the whole season at least some games) in a finals bound Div 1 side.

Nick Read from St Pauls played Div 1 in 2013 and is only 22/23. Of course he's still up to that standard.
by jo172
Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It was ridiculous, but entertaining at times..

My original point stands, no matter how much Morell mumbo jumbo you put on it, Having a superior incentives scheme is not paying players, especially when you lumped Lockleys in with CLG and Rosewater who would be operating on a near div 1 type budget..

What if I give out $100 for 21st best player :lol:

There is a point where there is no distinction between "incentives" and payments. Whether Lockleys' meets it I'm not sure.
by jo172
Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: lower grade association medals

Split Divisions up and do full counts on a night.. make clubs purchase a table of say 10, include a drinks package if possible.

Clubs could fill a table of 10 easy enough - coach, footy director, top vote getters..

Create Powerpoints that go through each round to speed things up a bit, should take around 30-45min per div to knock it off, could get through 2xdivs in an evening..

So essentially the Div 1/Div 2 medal count then?

Pay for it in installments as part of your calls throughout the year and boom, there it is.
by jo172
Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 3 - 2015

Seriously, when's the last time Athelstone won a final?
by jo172
Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 4 - 2015

Salisbury would be one of the last clubs in the league to take the soft option due to financial issues. Not many if any brown envelopes up there.

Secondly, with regard to clubs making decisions to reject the opportunity to be promoted (whoever it may be), as long as clubs, the body who are the league continue to make decisions not in the best interests of the League we're going to keep having issues. It's akin to the inmates running the asylum.
by jo172
Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 6 - 2015

sending smiffies and TOS up to Mitcham borders on cruel

I reckon you might be getting a phone call tomorrow.

Kenilworth already probably has D5 which leaves us but I'd say a couple other league grounds would be getting phone calls first.

Golden grove have a gated ground.

And there goes my big day out at Henley ...

It's ok, you can hang with me! :D

We'll put you to work and it'll be just like old times ;)
by jo172
Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 8 - 2015

Shaping up to be a quality finals series in 8 and 8R. Rare for C/D grade comp to be so even between first and fifth and I dare say every finalist will consider themselves a chance.

In the C Grade I suspect Tea Tree Gully's more experienced players will prove the difference in finals. Having said that on a warm day on a big oval (Kilburm, St Mary's, Salisbury, Thebarton) on Grand Final day both PAOC and Unley will relish the conditions.

In the D's the comp is arguably even wider with the top 5 all having a very unbalanced record against one another. To take the weak bet it will depend who is able to get all their players on the park and firing at the right time. I suspect SMOSH has a slight edge in this area but that's a blind stab. Ditto my oval/Grand Final thoughts except I think in this grade it will suit Old Ignatians more than anything

If only there was a way to monetarise my ability to pick C Grade football results :lol:

Should be a bloody good standard C Grade Grand Final as both teams play very attractive, skillful styles of football.
by jo172
Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

morell wrote:PNU is a great spot for a GF.

I'll be there Satdee with a cutla MPFC peeps. Come and say hello.

Thank God, we'll need the extra volunteers :lol:
by jo172
Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In other news...it looks like Angle Vale has been accepted to the APFL

Hopefully in the long term this leads to an exit from NEMJFA too. Bloody ridiculous distance to travel for young kids games in a City/Suburban comp
Nope, that will never happen, they have too many grades in the NEMJFA, although not ideal, the NEMJFA really needed to zone when they accepted the CDJFL.
Could've played north ve south association matches and had a game the week after all of the Grand Finals with the winners of each division playing off for a "Champion's Cup", well that's my two bobs worth anyway as the merge affected me as a coach and an umpire.

Agree, I've been part of Angle Vale v PNU matches that have been played at 6:30 on a Friday Night.

Any coach/parent who is involved with the away team and works full time has not a hope in hell of getting there for report time. I would have thought some common sense could be used.
by jo172
Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: GRAND FINAL VENUES (and other D1/D2 finals)

So PAOC are in a GF four out of five teams now and waiting on the A grade. Very impressive season, good chance to win both GFs this weekend and you would think that the week off in D2r and C2 will have them favs for next week! Seriously, how many kids went to this school that can actually play footy! Surely they are not really all old scholars?

Pretty sure their first 18's have either won or at least made the final of the state school's knockout championships for around 7-8 years straight now. Combine that with the Old Collegians snaring a lion's share of the blokes who went to the School and you're going to get a pretty successful period.
by jo172
Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: GRAND FINAL VENUES (and other D1/D2 finals)

hill wrote:Are the tickets transferable ??---I need to go to a game at 10am and then another game at another ground

In previous years you've been able to ask for a pass out that works at all venues for the day
by jo172
Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Young coaches.

*Bump* - interesting discussion from back in the day.. curious to know peoples views on this now? Have they changed at all - and if so which way?

Interesting that D6R GF will be contested by two young coaches as well, and appears to be more younger people putting their hand up to take on coaching roles this year.

I got side tracked by reading the TTG mud flinging :lol:
by jo172
Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Absolutely it is. The SAAFL aren't a charity, they need money to run like any other organisation.

And more to the point if they stop charging money to get into Grand Finals they'll just find the money some other way, most likely by raising calls.

Much easier on the clubs to charge spectators entry to a Grand Final.
by jo172
Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 2 - 2015

This hole being what exactly?

Ben Hook asked him how he came to play at Unley, he responded that his boss is high up there and looked after him at work if he came out to play at Unley.

The implication naturally being that in his regular employment there are inducements (financial or otherwise) to play at Unley (this may be absolutely incorrect).

If, hypothetically that is correct, and obviously is within the Salary Cap rules you've got the potential for the widening of the gap between the "haves" and "have nots"
by jo172
Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 2 - 2015

He was already employed by the boss, so just part of an existing employee/employer relationship to have discussions about all manner of work related stuff. Anyway, he's a grass roots boy who loves our "country club" kind of community. And we love him too :)

Good on him/Unley for it too. Only singled him out because of the speech last night. This practice would be happening everywhere and with the salary cap will become more widespread. Just highlights what (in my view) is a potentially unfair aspect of the salary cap, as some clubs (let's say Uni/SPOC/PAOC etc.) are (probably) in a better position to offer these salary cap exempt benefits than others (i.e Smithfield, Mitchell Park, West Croydon).

Seems a bit counter-intuitive to the "level playing field" theory.
by jo172
Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hi all, we'll do our best to send official correspondence through the right channels during the week. But in the mean time i'd just like to say all four clubs were exemplary guests at the PNU footy club today and were very well represented by their coaches, players, members and supporters. I did every job there was today and apart from a very very tiny minority everyone was a pleasure to deal with and I'm beyond impressed with the professionalism and people involved with all four clubs
by jo172
Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Will do.

Cheers for the hospitality on the day, very well organised and great set up you have. We were all quite jealous

All good fun.

My highlight of the day was Lockleys supporters hanging around for our score updates from Henley managing to shake off their disappointment to enjoy the schadenfreude of the straight sets exit of their local rival.
by jo172
Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 5 - 2015

This is an interesting hypothetical as it plays into the concept of worth.

On the face of it, I would think that playing 21 footballers at any level in the C9AFL is not "worth" it let alone at Division 5 level.

However, worth is really only relative to the resources you have to expend. If you can expend that much and it doesn't put you in a perilous financial position then all power to you.
by jo172
Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 1 - 2015

Footy Chick wrote:TTG are depleted. PNU are pretty much having a GF spot handed to them

lel
by jo172
Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Promotion, Relegation and the SFL

Footy Chick wrote:Well they do say only a fool represents himself :lol:

*Any lawyer who represents themselves has an idiot for a client ;)
by jo172
Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Will post some more sober reflected thoughts late. While I remember it I just wanted to mention TTG played with 4 points yesterday. To make a Div 1 prognostic final relying that predominantly on home grown and long term players is something every club in the League should aspire to
by jo172
Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Jimmy_041 wrote:A very prognostic comment in my view

For whatever reason I was not at my best this morning. I can't think why. I suspect you can relate
by jo172
Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Don't support either of the teams that played yesterday. The umpiring of this game was a disgrace especially from the blonde haired dude. He was so one sided against TTG that it became a joke. The 25 in the 3rd was awful and came about because of no voice used by this umpire. Cost TTG the game in my opinion, played a hand in the first two goals straight after half time. Gave Jolly his first for the day in the 3rd with a ridiculous push , later in the quarter allowed the same to go in noticed.
Bordering on cheating

Bulldog - you are a serial umpire basher - always have been.

25 in the third quarter came about because the player had been told to return the ball - pretended to not know who it should go to - then "looped" the ball back to the player - the rule has been "you must return the ball directly (as you would your own team) - call it pedantic - but that IS the ruling!

First two goals after half time - and Jolly's free (I agree it could have been doubtful) - the other umpire was in control of the play at that end.

The game was won and lost in the first 15 minutes of the third term - PNU played attacking footy and TTG did not respond soon enough. TTG were very brave to fight back.

Stop umpire bashing because they don't bother responding to your comments..

It was also very consistent with one they paid against PNU in the second quarter. Almost a mirror image.
by jo172
Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

For what its worth....the two umpires that did the TTG/Payneham game have just been appointed to the G/F: go to http://www.saafl.asn.au
Well hopefully they let the game flow and do what good umpires do - go unnoticed.

To quote Happy Gilmore "Green jacket, gold jacket, who gives a shit!"... Whilst I will cry BAAAALLLLL like a sheep, complain that Jolls never gets a fair go and even let out a how did he miss that, what game is he watching... I wont be worrying about umpiring, they might be good, they might be bad, they may even cost us the game with a questionable decision but at the end of the day there just two blokes trying to do a job under a truckload of pressure.

You're spot on, I hope they go un-noticed but at the end of the day - "It is what it is", I wish them all the best for the day and hope they have a good game.

Agreed. However they are paid and if the mistakes are continual should be held accountable just as any other person in a paid position is!

Don't see any of the paid players (or coaches) being held accountable for their mistakes on here. Let alone in a public, abusive and unconstructive manner.
by jo172
Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Old Scholars and the Points System

Regarding the original point, wouldn't it have just been easier to confirm that the player wasn't in the SFL game and thereby shouldn't have been on the team sheet?

No idea how the League verifies school games, particularly when it's an "older" returned scholar.

My biggest qualm with the Old Scholars as zero points system is that SMOSH, Unley and SHOC get to effectively "double dip" by being aligned to a school and running their own junior programs.

We've given passing thought to changing our name to Payneham Norwood Union Marryatville Morialta to jig the same system.
by jo172
Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL $$$$$

All there in the Annual Report.

And to their credit, calls are getting lower and when clubs are struggling every assistance is being afforded to them.

From my understanding the league has long term strategies for the use of all, but particularly cash assets to guarantee it's strength for the next century.
by jo172
Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 4 - 2015

Mr Beefy wrote:Wouldn't be the first to sign at 2 clubs

Nothing like collecting those two sets of sign on fees

(which I'm sure no one anywhere in the League is paying in what would be a gross and egregious breach of the salary cap)
by jo172
Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 gradings

God I'm over clubs telling the league "what we wanna do". Top 60 A Grade sides should be playing in the top 6 divisions.
by jo172
Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Club Best and Fairests

More to the point, if you're ever in a situation where you feel the need to do this to a bloke rig the count.

I'd be putting a lot on Rory Laird to somehow pip Dangerfield on Saturday night!
by jo172
Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://www.glenelgfc.com.au/component/content/article/985-player-signing-luke-harder

Good on him, can never begrudge someone having a go at the next level
by jo172
Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Div 8 is pure C&D comp... Unley unlikely to seek promotion as we want to play our C's and D's amonst other similar clubs for a whole heap of valid reasons.

I think there's a reasonable chance that D8 will not exist or will be in a radically different form next year. I would be very unsurprised if the top 6-7 teams in Div 8 in 2015 aren't in D7 with Flinders Uni etc in 2016. If Unley wants to play against clubs in a similar position's C Grade I dare say they'll (i.e TTG, PAOC, Old Iggies, PNU) be more than likely to be in D7
by jo172
Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Unfair Bans

Disappointed, I was hoping to see some 10 game life ban whinging
by jo172
Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Rule 37.5

Over the last lustrum we seem to have an annual argument regarding clubs exercising their right under rule 37.5 and refuse their right of promotion after making a Grand Final. We have seen the flow on effects from club's doing this causing chaos on the rest of the League.

My question is, with Salisbury's decision (which I agree with Shrek, it's piss weak) should the Clubs consider amending Rule 37.5 to the effect that A Grade Grand Finalists cannot refuse promotion (I can understand that there may be some cause for leeway where a C Grade wins A7)

I personally can't see what negative effect an amendment of this type would have.

Thoughts?
by jo172
Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SA v WA Shield

Bloody hell I'm getting nervous for Head. How would he be feeling!?
by jo172
Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What I would give for the City of Norwood, Payneham and St Peters to be even mildly supportive of Australian Rules Football
by jo172
Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CH9AFL Division 1 2016

So the coach retires quoting "busy at work".
Leaves the door open beautifully to take on an assistant coach role, which will pay surprisingly similarly to the previous head coach role.
New playing coach announced.
Playing coach salary is not included in the salary cap.
Assistant coach spends surprisingly high amount of time coaching while playing coach is playing.

But then again, college sides don't pay players , so I guess we can rule that conspiracy theory out.

Perhaps the other college sides but I've spoken with a PAOC player and he was quite open about how much they pay players.

Fairly sure that (at least of the upper grade colleges) SHOC are the last where it's still frowned upon (or at least not owned up to).

SPOC, Scotch, PAOC, Old Igs, ROCS, Pembroke have been out in the open for years.
by jo172
Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CH9AFL Division 2 2016

Wristy that doesn't mean the players aren't college poofs.

Sass Modbury is a shit hole, shit heap deck, wet stinky changerooms. Should ask for $3mil to knock the dung heap down and start again.

Ease up Shrek, not all our players went to a private college ;)

Would have thought you'd have sympathy for residential college poofs Shrek?
by jo172
Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CH9AFL DIvision 4 2016

[quBrahma didn't struggle was poor management of funds that caused their downfall & sa.

I love you minion master but crap that spews out of your mouth at times astounds me. Brahma refused to match country payments, that's why their players left. Don't confuse them with Westies and Kilburn.

It is all essentially the same thing though.

Once you're retaining loyalty solely for $$$ it's a live by the sword, die by the sword game as Brahma learned.
by jo172
Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |