Search found 131 matches

Return

Re: Where to for Glenelg

the bays and south to merge?????
will lose one member I know of at least!
whilst south arent travelling all that flash financially Im pretty sure it would never happen... perhaps it would if they played at hickinbotham oval wore blueandwhite and were called the south adelaide panthers it may have a slight chance... :D
by blueandwhite
Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trial games

Full Time
South 14 6 90
Sturt 6 10 46

:twisted: :twisted:
by blueandwhite
Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your Round 1 Side

Delete your post Doc ? lol. Worry about your own club is probably the best advice we can give you. Must be a lonely place down there when week in week out most opposition supporters out number the home team. Mind you you never who is keeping out of the elements in their cars.

You're a flog mate must be lonely having no mates!

South Adelaide, counting memberships with both thumbs since 1964.

yep- youre right..!! buggar all members....
but still surviving affter 140 yrs without 15miliion dollar gifts from the sanfl.
by blueandwhite
Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 2- South v Eagles (Noarlunga, Sunday)

A great win for the club today..
After conceding the first 4 goals of the game to the Eagles, 2-3 from very dubious free kicks at point blank range, South controlled the rest of the game from the 20 minute mark of the first quarter . It was South 3.4 - WWT 5.1 at quarter time. After that time and a severe bake from Coach Gotch the Panthers kicked 11.8 to WWT 2.1 for the rest of the game, to run out comfortable winners by 43 pts.
Souths best were Liddell, Daniel and Haren but it was really a great all round team effort and a great result after such an ordinary start. I also though Bass was exceptional at the stoppages; and Cross was good despite being thrown to the ground off the ball at many stoppages.
For the Eagles Boyd was his busy self as usual particularly in the first half until Seccull put the clamps on him. Ainger and Wundke were soundly beaten despite Wundke managing the first 3 goals of the game. Wundke left the game after his troublesome groin flared up again. I wonder if its the same recurring injury he had when he left South a few years ago????? Redden is not fit and his knee problems are far from over Id suggest.

Bring on the bloods..Go Yeohs..!! :)
by blueandwhite
Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R3: South v West - Sunday 10 April @ Hickinbotham Oval

Cambridge Clarrie wrote:
Wolf Pack wrote:Why would we be up and about?
We have lost all three games by 10 goals plus!!!!!!

Didn't think the premiership shine would wear off that quickly... ;)

Most of us southies WISH we could have the shine wear off a Premiership !! :shock:
by blueandwhite
Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R6: South v Adelaide - Sunday 1st May @ Hickinbotham Ov

To be perfectly honest I didn't think the banter & comments on the weekend was any worse than if South was playing the bays, north or any other sanfl club.

The only difference might be that there weren't many crows supporters there to give it back ;)

yes, every time the crows scored a goal it was a bit like a golf clap wasnt it..? :shock:
by blueandwhite
Tue May 03, 2016 6:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South Adelaide Old Nickname

Does anyone know South Adelaide's old nickname I think it is something like Yeeeeooo (not sure on spelling)

What is the history behind it and why isn't it used anymore?

Dont hold me to this...but...

When the South Adelaide Football club came into being in 1876 (oldest existing club in the SANFL) South was very much a city based club. The River Torrens in those days was very much a source of water for the colony at the time. Souths' proximity to the Torrens saw them often referred to as
"Ye old Freshwaters"- which over time of course became "YE - OH's." Its fair to say that times have changed in 140 years and now the closest part of our zone is almost 28km from the river Torrens. We are the only sanfl club to have none of its original zone however we are the only club to still wear its original colours.
It still is used at games by shall we say ..by some of our older members. :)
by blueandwhite
Wed May 04, 2016 11:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South Adelaide v Norwood at the BOT Saturday

Incredulous that there was only one report from this game... :shock:
by blueandwhite
Tue May 10, 2016 10:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Heirachy

Prior to the advent of the 2 AFL licenses the sanfl was run by the league delegates-ie reps from each member club. When the licenses were introduced the sanfl introduced the sanfl commission, whose sole role was governance and the maintaining of the licenses.
Now the sanfl has divested itself of the afl licenses shouldnt the Commission also be disbanded and leave the running of the sanfl to the League delegates??? It seems to the casual observer that the Commission now runs the show and the League delegates have very little imput into the running of the league.
by blueandwhite
Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Magarey Medal

From south Cross of course but i think Brede Secull will get plenty of votes.
by blueandwhite
Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Magarey Medal

I would think Brede Seccul should be the shortest priced South Player on that list.

Ive requested a price for him...4 of the last 6 weeks BOG and TIB 9 times this season

..Brede may fall into the Nick Liddle category there.......... I recall Nicks first year in the sanfl when he was a highly fancied chance,
.....but his heart sank in the last home and away game when the field umpire called him to "get back a metre on the mark Number ..9." .... :roll: :roll:
by blueandwhite
Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vale Brian "the whale" Roberts

I'm only aware of his connection with Richmond during the early-mid 70s, was he initially recruited from the Panthers?

Brian Roberts 28/04/45 - 06/08/16

Roberts, a giant of a man, became affectionately known as "The Whale" during his playing days thanks to his enourmous 199cm, 120kg frame. He played an integral role in Australian Rules football in South Australia, Victoria and Western Australia and is the only player to have represented all three States.

Roberts emigrated from the UK, grew up in Millicent, and did not play football until the age of ten. In his late teens he was attracting interest from VFL clubs but new South Adelaide coach Neil Kerley, believed that he could be an asset to the team and travelled to Millicent in 1964 and persuaded Roberts to join the Club . At that stage Roberts was inexperienced and didn't have the timing and skills to play at SANFL League level.

199 cm ruckmen are common these days, but were few and far between in the 1960's. Kerley realized that Roberts could become a major influence in the SANFL.

He spent the 1964 SANFL season playing in the seconds (reserves) under coach Denis Parham, honing his craft as a ruckman. He became particularly friendly with 1964 Premiership players Dick Jackson, David Kantilla and Gerry O'Brien and attended the team's Grand final celebrations.

Peter Darley's absence with injury in 1965 gave Roberts his opportunity in the league side, rucking with Neil Kerley. At training Kerley, arguably one of the game's most skillful and effective ruckman for his height, would patiently instruct Roberts in the art of ruckwork.

As the 1965 season progressed Roberts was regularly in South's best players. His strengths were his tap ruck work and marking, but was not a super-accurate kick.

He was South's best player in its heartbreaking second semifinal loss to Port Adelaide in '65. Late in the final quarter he had the opportunity to kick a goal which would have put the game out of reach for Port Adelaide, but he was exhausted and "sprayed" the kick.

Port's controversial win with a goal after the final siren has passed into football folklore and still rankles with older South supporters. South went on to lose the preliminary final against an emerging Sturt team when really it should have gone straight into the Grand Final.

Peter Darley returned to the team in 1966, limiting Roberts' opportunities but he played well enough to be selected to represent SA at the Hobart Carnival.

Roberts who, like Peter Darley, enjoyed a drink and a good social life had played well during the year but was not at his best in South's elimination final loss to North Adelaide.

Kerley left to coach Glenelg in 1967 and Roberts accepted an offer to play with East Fremantle in the WAFL where he played for three years and in 1969 was selected in the WAFL State team.

The Whale in action for Richmond in the mid-70s

VFL Club Richmond had kept in touch with him over the years and eventually enticed him to Victoria where he played from 1971-1975, including the great Richmond teams under legendary coach Tom Hafey and was a Premiership player in 1973 and 1974. He also represented Victoria in interstate games during this period.

Roberts suffered a serious kidney injury after a clash with Carlton's John Nicholls and, in an infamous brawl against Essendon in 1974 at Windy Hill, was "king-hit" by Essendon's infamous Ron Andrews suffering a broken nose, broken jaw and cut eye. Andrews was suspended for six weeks even though at the tribunal Roberts pretended he didn't remember the incident. There were enough witnesses and video footage to ensure a significant penalty for Andrews.

By 1975 Roberts was out of favour at Richmond and transferred to South Melbourne (now the Sydney Swans) where after playing only 15 games in the season he was runner-up to Gary Dempsey for the Brownlow medal. In the same year he was also awarded the Australian Football Media Association Player of the Year award as a dual winner with Carlton's Alex Jesaulenko.

He quit football at the end of the season after a disagreement with South Melbourne coach Ian Stewart.
Roberts went on to become a well known publican in Melbourne including 16 years managing the Duke of Wellington Hotel in Flinders St, as well as doing football commentary and newspaper columns. He became a raconteur and all-round good bloke, and has entertained all at South Adelaide reunions with football anecdotes and "send-ups" of his team-mates
by blueandwhite
Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Vale Brian "the whale" Roberts

Vale Brian "the Whale" Roberts,

South Adelaide is mourning the loss of former star Brian Roberts, who passed away on Saturday aged 70.

Brian was a popular figure around the club and a character that transcended the game everywhere he play.

He will be missed.

Vale The Whale.
by blueandwhite
Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 Premiership Standard

I'd plonk money on South* for 2016 - they are the closest to premiership standard using that criteria than anyone else

*And you are looking good if you got better odds on them before

Im on at $7, but spewing I missed the $11 the week earlier

...well...at the start of the year they were 25/1...and I had a bit of that.. :D
by blueandwhite
Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No umps show at West v South Reserves

fair dinkum....Olsen couldnt organize a root in a brothel!!
by blueandwhite
Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Centrals V Adelaide Saturday September 3 12:10

1. The crows decided to select CEY to play v West Coast last friday night.
When they did so, unless they were dumb,stupid or ignorant- or all of those , they would have known at the time that the standing [u]rules [/u] of the SANFL meant that he would be ineligible to play this week against Centrals.

2. The crows then lodged an appeal to the SANFL appeals committee for him to play. The appeal for whatever reason was upheld.

The sanfl are gutless spineless and just bloody weak for allowing this. But really what more can we expect from this lot.
by blueandwhite
Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South V Sturt AO Saturday September 3 @ 3:10

South with a few injury concerns...Sturt with a couple to come back in..Osborn & Riley.
South returning to the ground that was its home ground for almost 80 years..

Im tipping the Panthers to keep the momentum and get across the line by 22 pts.
by blueandwhite
Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South v Adelaide AO Sunday 12:10

You'd think a reasonable amount hinges on the availability of Brown, Smith, Cheney, Seedsman and Lowden.

If all come up the Ravens could field a 20 AFL listed squad, if all four/five miss it could be one of the weaker sides they put up over the course of the year
Guess South won't have a clue if they are against it or not until they exchange the team sheets....

thats right!! and even then you dont know!!!!! there were apparently 23 on Sturts team sheet last week!!!!
by blueandwhite
Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South v Adelaide AO Sunday 12:10

Part of the job description in being a Panther supporter is..

"Become used to having your heart ripped from your chest, thrown on the ground and stomped on.."

Over the years most of us have almost become immune to this.

Today however the deed was executed professionally.
by blueandwhite
Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 SANFL Grand Final - Sunday Sep 25 (Adelaide Oval)

Panther Pack wrote:Ainger has been quite vocal over the years about leaving South cause he couldn't see any success at the Panthers.

Guess he didn't get what he was after, two Grand Finals for Zero Premierships!

heard that Aingers'farewell is to be held at the Marion Hotel....... :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
by blueandwhite
Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Player movement 2017

Im a rusted on Southie...Brad Gotch is by far the best coach that the club has had in my almost 60 yrs of following the club.
I am bitterly disappointed that he is leaving at this time, during his tenure our club has become a force to be reckoned with , a true competitor and no longer an easy beat. During his time our long suffering supporters have thought, at long last we are a chance to win that elusive flag in all 3 three years of his time, particularly in 2014 and the year just finished. Injury , inexperience and perhaps 1-2 players were the difference.
The man himself... well.. where do I begin..?...Im priveleged to say I know him reasonably well, he's a wonderful human being.
Heres an example of how he engages even the most humble of supporters who attend every week rain hail or shine... We played at Elizabeth , I think it was 2015, Im standing with a few mates on the terraces watching the last qtr of the reserves game.
All of a sudden someone bumps into me and says Gday, its Gotchy. I say gday and we exchange pleasantries... he asks who are these guys you are with, and I introduce them to him, all southies. We talk about the game about to commence in 20 minutes and he then proceeds to give us a run through the game plan with me and my mates; who are absolutely standing there open mouthed as the coach tells them that so and so is doing this, so and so will be doing this and this one will be +1 in defence, etc etc etc... He says goodbye and goes down and gives his final address to the playing group.
We won. After the game my buddies and I visit the rooms and Gotchy marches up to us, gives us hi 5's and says, now how do you think the game plan worked guys?? We say it worked pretty darn well!!! As we walk out to the carpark my mates are shaking their heads...and say things like.."how f----n good was that!", " Who wouldnt want to play for him..?"
A great man, a great coach and clearly a great communicator. Personally I wish him all the very best in his future endeavors , and hope he does well. I know his reasons for returning to Melbourne, and while a position with and AFL club is great, its far from being the main reason I assure you.
Best of luck Brad.
by blueandwhite
Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TV ADs by Port Power

The Port Adelaide FC in the sanfl, that began in 1876 or whenever it was, ceased to exist when it merged with an AFL franchise 6-7 years ago. That Afl franchise has since played a reserves team by license in the SANFL. Since then the PAFC has not had a delegate on the SANFL, and has no voting rights either. ...and unlike the Crows pays no fee to play.
The fact that the PAFCs reserves side is called the Magpies and wears the prison bars is purely a marketing ploy from the franchise marketing department to attract a few waivering supporters from its time in the SANFL.
by blueandwhite
Thu May 04, 2017 1:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 18

Great win by the Panthers down at Hickinbotham Oval...sadly ..all to no avail.. Came from 14 pts down at 3/4 time to get the Chocolates against the breeze. Best for South were Cross, Liddle and Haines.
Well done to the South players and officials and supporters who applauded retiring Crow Scott Thompson from the field.
I have to say what a lame effort ,with perhaps only 100 of the 60,000 members of the AFC bothering to show up to farewell one of their clubs greats.
by blueandwhite
Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: INS and OUTS for 2018

The Woodville West Torrens Football Club would like to advise members, corporate partners and supporters that with much disappointment, Jarred Allmond has decided to quit the club 6 weeks after committing and signing a contract in early October to play on next season.
Jarred was very much a required player and his decision to quit had nothing to do with the culture of our club or his value as a player, simply a more lucrative offer. Jarred has now signed with North Adelaide Football Club after negotiating a transfer fee.
After more than 10 years of investing time and development into Jarred both on and off field as a person and a footballer, the WWTFC is disappointed with this decision. We now move forward as a Club and continue to strive for success in 2018 with a fully committed and united playing group.

If thats the case it says something about his character and you are better off without him.
South have been in the same boat more than once over the last few years..........................
by blueandwhite
Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Keegan Brooksby returning from the Gold Coast, a welcome inclusion for the Panthers. Some good news for a change.
by blueandwhite
Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

South have signed Anthony Beimans -exPAFC
by blueandwhite
Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South Adelaide Old Nickname

After a recent discussion on this topic with a former South Adelaide historian, some new information has come to hand!- that has blown my other theory out of the water!
If we go back to the very early days of SA footy .. when South Adelaide made the journey to Port Adelaide.. it was quite a logistical task! It was also a dangerous journey as apparently after defeating Port in one game the South players were pelted by rocks from the unruly Port supporters....thankfully times have changed.. :roll:
In the late 1870s there of course were no automobiles, no bitumen roads and only a dirt road between the city where South were located and Ethelton? where I believe Ports home ground was located at the time. The transport of the day was basically a horse and cart!. all the players would congregate at a pre arranged time and place and travel together in an open horse and cart set up.
The journey to Ethelton would involve spelling and feeding the horses at a point somewhere halfway between the city and Ethelton. It was arranged that they would be spelled and fed at a Stable and livery store near Woodville. It also happened that the Livery store was very adjacent to the Woodville Hotel,on Port Rd.- which still stands today.. this was of course a satisfactory arrangement for the players on the return journey.The stables in question were on Treventon St almost behind the Woodville Hotel...the proprietor of these stables was a Mr. Yeo. When approaching the stables.. the players aboard the horse drawn cart would yell his name....."Yeee-oh!" ..and that is how the name became folk law at South Adelaide.
by blueandwhite
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Bignell at it again

Quality work. Steven Marshall was seen at The Fringe last night singing along to Kylie Minogue songs, I'm guessing 'I should be so lucky' will be his walk on song if he gets up Saturday night.
He was with Rachel Sanderson too. Are they ahhh ... together?

I wouldnt have thought so...!
by blueandwhite
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vale Freddie Bills

Lucky enough to have seen him play. He was WestTorrens hard man.. back when every side had one.........tough..?....he was harder than a cats' head.
Vale Freddie.
by blueandwhite
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R2 Norwood V South Sunday 1410

cennals05 wrote:Did Norwood have any white lines left on the oval after Glenn played today?

ouch! :)
by blueandwhite
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Favourite current SANFL commentators

Casey has been using this one for 20 years....."..goes to work.."- "and gets the job done..!"- If he says that one more time I'll throw a brick through the tv...get some new material!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
by blueandwhite
Mon May 07, 2018 12:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South v Porth Sat 1310

A good win by the Panthers.. Brooksby and Liddle a class above anyone else on the ground , thats why South won. As soon as I can find a market I'll be backing Liddle for the medal hes having a great year.. A good crowd and thanks to the Port people for showing up in good numbers to support their team, which is more than can be said for their afl rivals.
South introducing some good local talent this year; Fitt is a player , fast, tough and a good kick, kicked 4 but perhaps could have been 6. Another 17 yo debutant - Coleman (still at High school and now a team mate of his teacher!-Tarik Redigolo) and another 18 yo in Krueger, plus 3 in the state under 18 side in Perth. Souths heavy investment in its juniors in the last few years is beginning to bear fruit. Tougher games to come though.. 8)
by blueandwhite
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South v Adelaide Sunday 1410

A great win. Off hand I cant recall South ever winning by a margin like todays. Crows had 11 AFL listed players, nice to play them for a change when they havent got 18+! South went in with a depleted lineup and played 2 debutants in Elms and Helyar...both young fellas from the local zone, both played quite well.
South have quite a few injuries at moment, but the young fellas who are getting an opportunity are certainly stepping up to the plate and having a crack.
Go Panthers.
by blueandwhite
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Highest margin over opponent in one quarter

This one doesnt quite make the grade Spelly but is interesting in that it was a Grand Final

1938 SANFL Grand Final

South Adelaide Port Adelaide
23.14 (152) 15.16 (106)
1 2 3 4
STH 6.3 (39) 9.5 (59) 21.9 (135) 23.14 (152)
PTA 4.3 (27) 9.5 (59) 11.8 (74) 15.16 (106)

Date Saturday, 1 October (2:10 pm)
Stadium Adelaide Oval
Attendance 33,364
by blueandwhite
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final

North have been found guilty of breaking the rules, they have been smashed over the knuckles with a wet lettuce.
So, this week if North are struggling against Norwood, they'll just run another player or two onto the ground during the game- if they get caught just another slap on the wrist,...
Yet another mind boggling decision from the sanfl...almost as puzzling as suspending 50k from the salary caps of 2 sanfl clubs who are doing it tough financially.
by blueandwhite
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: INS and OUTS for 2019

I'm so happy to lose 4 of our best and most promising players to the wonderful AFL. What an honour for the club. Looking forward to the Rookie Draft where we maybe able to provide a few more players. :) ;)

Yep fantastic isnt it... and the best is yet to come- the rookie daft- where the sa based afl clubs can cherry pick oppostion sanfl players to bolster their own sanfl teams -and deplete their opposition at the same time.
by blueandwhite
Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New naming rights sponsor for Elizabeth Oval

Basically most sanfl clubs are up against it financially- with a couple of pretty obvious exceptions. Any opportunity to generate some income would of course be welcome...Oval naming rites being one of them - as long as it helps pay the bills...
by blueandwhite
Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: End of season Retirements and move ons

There is no doubt that Abe can play the game but simply wants everything on his own terms. Disruptive influence on others that has hurt the club brand. So congrats to Jarrad for cleaning house. South Adelaide has been starved of success for too long but this removal demonstrates the integrity of the club and its management The club is bigger than the individual and this proves it.

Yes there certainly is a NDP policy in vogue at South. We got rid of another one this time last year too.
Abe was a very good player ,but had issues on the ground and certainly off it, but on his day...a matchwinner.
by blueandwhite
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

southee wrote:Abe Davis now a double blue

..At last some good news for Panther fans! :D
by blueandwhite
Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tiger83 wrote:
blueandwhite wrote:Nick Liddle has signed with Yankalilla I believe.

Source???

.. an exceptionally good one. 8)
by blueandwhite
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South Adelaide Knuckey Cup

JK wrote:Where did Davis finish?

Scooter Davis finished in the top ten I'm pretty sure ,cant recall exactly..
by blueandwhite
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2020 Player movement

It appears that the Dogs may be close to nabbing a son of an AFL legend from Wagga, a quick mid who has played ressies at Sydney.

I hope he plays more than 1 season with us.

Also hope he is good enough to be one of our best players but not good enough to be stolen by the Offal (AFL) or worse Norwood.
I can hear them opening the safe at Norwood as we type. No salary cap and can speak , lure players from all the other clubs whether contracted or not..

Whinging this far out from the season, gotta be a record even for you. Remember the days when you guys just got shit done rather than boo-hooing in the corner :lol:

Not sure the money would be coming from the club safe!!!!!!!!!!
I think its an absolute bloody joke what Norwood have been getting away with for years....and there arent too many outside of Norwood who would disagree.
by blueandwhite
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow theres a blast from ancient history!! 13 years ago!!!!!!!!! - if you read that , you would have also read that South were the recipients of a large fine for that breach of the salary cap in that instance.
We did'nt squirm our way out of suspension or the fine by doing a sweet heart deal with sanfl to change our vote on allowing Afl teams to join the sanfl in exchange for exoneration.
by blueandwhite
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The club did release the confirmation regarding Keegan Brooksby return in an email to Kingstonian Members last week therefore my rejoicing, however i do agree you would think the club would be broadcasting this more broadly.
Maybe they're waiting to announce another signing as well??

You maybe on the money there...
by blueandwhite
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Ash Man wrote:Richard Douglas confirmed at Norwood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes , he should fit nicely into the spot vacated by Cody Szust who I see has nominated for the draft... 8)
by blueandwhite
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think McMahon at Sturt played in a premiership.
Also Dougy was delisted. I think he's still available to be picked up as delisted FA. Unless he has officially retired.

Im talking about retired AFL players like Douglas, 200 games plus, yes I know he would've gone on had he been offered the chance, Basically guys who's bodies didn't allow them to continue at the highest level after a long career. McMahon doesn't fit that.
I see some had to go all the way back to Andrew Jarman in 1997, 22 years ago.
Maybe Porplyzia in West's premiership season

My point is I wouldn't be expecting too much out of Douglas. He would be playing for all the wrong reasons, namely money.
Say what you like about country leagues but the money is still better in the SANFL for the top paid players.

Yeah agree with your sentiment as a rule and it worries me a bit. I think Max payment for any SANFL player is $20k, finding them a job is usually the bigger lure. Norwood had Eagleton about 8 years ago which didn’t work out as hoped.

"I think Max payment for any SANFL player is $20k,.."......that is funny! :D :D :D
by blueandwhite
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Clubs

I'm confused why Port would want a zone. Their recruitment comes via the draft.

Correct - a nationwide recruitment zone......and a multi million dollar salary cap to go with it.

In 2010 the SANFL Port magpies merged with an AFL franchise-Port Power.
Prior to that the SANFL -holding the AFL license of the Power "helped it out" financially as it was very close to bankrupt on several occasions. In fact the SANFL borrowed money at commercial rates to keep them solvent. The total amounts of these handouts I was told was over 20 mill.
The Power and the magpies merged. The Powers reserve side was named the Magpies for marketing reasons of course, and was granted a license to play in the SANFL. The Port Adelaide Football club is not a member club of the SANFL and hasnt been since 2010. It does not have a delegate on the SANFL and hasnt since 2010. The Power moved to Adelaide Oval but in the week leading up to their first home game were found to be short of $$ and again asked for 1 mill from the SANFL , even though the SANFL had sold the license. The SANFL obliged of course.
The SANFL owe Port Adelaide nothing.
by blueandwhite
Mon May 04, 2020 3:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1921 - 1963

1938 Grand Final.

Port v South
With the scores locked together at Half time, it was thought the second half would see a tight arm wrestle between 2 very determined teams. This wasnt to be the case. To the surprise of almost all of the 33,000 in attendance the 3rd quarter saw "the City team" (South Adelaide) score a mind boggling 12 goals 4 behinds to Ports 2.3, - certainly no flooding in those days!!
- so for all intents and purposes the game and the Premiership belonged to South at 3/4 time.
The final scores being..
South 23.14
Port 15.16.
Best player on the ground was Laurie Cahill the South and State wingman who later went on to coach South and West he also won a Bay Sheffield.(since then 2 other South players have won the prestigious footrace- Alf Skuse and Darren Kappler). Laurie Cahills' brother Vin. also played a few games for South .Vins' son John also played football at Junior level for South, winning the McCallum Medal, before joining Port Adelaide.
Others to play well for South were Laurie Rusby-5 goals, Max Murdy, Don Pryor, Jack Cockburn (1935 Magarey Medallist) and the Dawes brothers.
Ports best were Hollingworth, Bob Quinn, Hender & Reval.
The late 30's were a successful period for South, a club that has continually struggled in the SANFL since its glory days of the 1890s.
1934.-8th
1935 -Premiers
1936 -4th
1937 -2nd
1938 -Premiers
1939 -3rd
1940 -2nd
1941 -5th.

From the Premiership elation of 1938 it would be a 26 year long wait for more Premiership glory in 1964. :roll:
by blueandwhite
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Eagles players

South have 2 players from Williamstown VFL who have served their time in quarantine here in SA, and are commencing training this week. Whether or not they play or not this week, who knows. Both are clinging to their AFL dream...... hoping to gain attention in a league that is still in operation.
Both are playing for zero dollars as per the salary cap.
Personally I think its a bit rich for some of the more financial clubs to whinge about the opposition recruiting too many top level recruits......
by blueandwhite
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |