Search found more than 1305 matches

Return

Re: CDFC 2022

bulldogproud wrote:An excellent letter from Meggsy to club members today.

was it excellent because:

1. Spelling and punctuation?
2. Formatting?
3. on gold leaf parchment?
4. Written with a thumbnail dipped in oil of VR Commodore from the wreckers on Womma Rd??
by am Bays
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: St Kilda

North we’re the worst run club. Essendon no we’re the worst run club, St Kilda (leaning back dragging on a durrie looks around disdainfully) “hold my ******* beer…”
by am Bays
Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

The Porchetta rolls at the Marino Food and Meat stall in the Central Market.
by am Bays
Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2022/2023

Not an excuse but i reckon it would be much harder as a batter in the shield these days given every minute of every game is now streamed etc.

Years gone by a team may have only seen a certain batter 2 times in the shield and maybe 2 times in the one dayers at most. These days they have endless footage of every innings from shield cricket to t20 and even now would have district cricket footage in some states.

You're right it's not an excuse and the contra argument is that batsman should be watching vision of al the bowlers that is available for their strengths and weaknesses so they develop their batting plans
by am Bays
Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Reallocation of boundaries

We've been given the rough end of the pineapple sans lube

Red and black will be happy they've given the airport to us....

50 years of working and developing two - three generations of Hallet Cove kids from the 70s goneski. I expected some of the southern part of Hallett Cove to go along the Eastern side of Lonsdale Highway and potentially South of the Cove Road but all the way up to Perry Barr Drive and Majors Rd???

SANFL are basically saying dont do any hard work developing participation rates in your zone any more as we will use that to benefit the lazy clubs
by am Bays
Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you don't understand

Soccer
Never have, never will

One of the few sports where you can lose the game but still be bouncing around the house 12 hours later because of 'that moment'.

Aussie soccer fans wont forget Craig Goodwins goal in a very long time.

Same can be said about Tim Cahil's goal against the Netherland and his goal against Japan.
by am Bays
Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great Southern Football League

Poor Pongy 39 years since a flag 15 years since a GF appearance shame on them trying to compete.

Isnt this what the points process is for, giving the smaller clubs a chance to compete with the likes of Willunga
by am Bays
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Brad Gotch

Eagles Nest wrote:
Big Phil wrote:
wedgetail wrote:Heath Younie to coach Bays?????

That is what I have heard.

Only if the players endorse him

Good to see you posting for the first time since July, which is roughly when the Eagles season became Plucked

;)
by am Bays
Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The AFL dropping the round 1 fixture during the soccer.

Gold. :D

Can’t argue ever again that the AFL doesnt feel threatened by the world game.

You're kidding, right? :lol:

A League TV rights - 5 years, $200m, on Channel 10's second string channel average around 8000 per game

AFL TV rights - 7 years, $4.5bn, on Channel 7, Kayo and Fox average around 30,000 per game

*Edit

The AFL dropped it when they did knowing most Aussies give a shit about the round ball for 2 weeks every 4 years.

Like Melbourne Cup horse racing protesters, they disappear as soon as the race is over.

"In his head"
by am Bays
Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: retirements and upcoming signings

Booney wrote:
am Bays wrote:
schimma wrote:Who is the new coach at the Bay?

Rostoff is in the mix

Lokan going for a second interview today I believe.

Mate, that troll is a bad as Lokan's coaching!
by am Bays
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CDFC 2022

bulldogproud wrote:Not sure why Glenelg supporters are so keen to look at our own forum though... and to comment on it. You won't catch me commenting on a 'Glenelg 2022' forum or similar. Then again, I guess we have a few more 'wannabe' supporters in Tiger land ;)
by am Bays
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Season 2022/23

Does Michael Clarke get a cap for his Lara Bingle era and then the ‘ get ready for a broken arm’ phase.

Oh Please, FMD

Not so much that incident but that era where they really started to blur the lines a bit which in hindsight was the catalyst for the behavioural standards under Smith.

Many people in higher places have said that it was the end of the Clarke era where shit started to go wrong

Even if we dismiss that part the whole not singing the team song when you captain to run off to a party on a yacht has to be nomination worthy.

Disagree that sh!t has been happening since before test cricket even started - riots at MCC v NSW XVIII matches involving future prime minsiters.

This is not about the test team's behaviour its about our current era of hypocritical outrage thanks to social media where every arsehole (me included) has an opinion about something they have hal f the information on.

been following cricket seriously in this country since Session one of the 1st test in 1978-79 when we were 6 for 26 against the POMs

if I had a $$$ for every controversy I've seen:
underarms,
betting on test matches,
kicking players,
articles criticising Pakistan by vice captains in 1982,
merv Hughes telling Greenidge to "F*** Off"
threats to call off tours in 1984 over pay,
Dropping strides at committee rooms,
thumping players races in South Africa,
targeting South African tailenders who cant bat in Adelaide as they run to Square Leg - Hi Nantie)

Seriously there is nothing out of the ordinary in the last10 years they only thing that has changed is our "outrage" and certainly nothing worse than what happens in locl matches every weekend or in other sports - golf anyone?
by am Bays
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Don't disagree with any of that except for sport reflects society and that 'people' expect a higher standard these days. Once upon a time racist comments were tolerated....now we would never accept that. That is the same for kicking people etc.

Society might expect it but joe and jane blow average still exhibit the same behaviours but due to anonymity they arent held to account
by am Bays
Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

whufc wrote:Does Michael Clarke get a cap for his Lara Bingle era and then the ‘get ready for a broken arm’ phase.

Oh Please, FMD
by am Bays
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Time will tell you could have a few diamonds in the rough who will see it as an opportunity to shine and get drafted.

However its well known that the better quality recruits wait until after the draft as they still have that dream to get picked up
by am Bays
Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Starc also plays as his footmarks create rough for Lyon to bowl into.

When selecting it’s not just about 11 individuals but also the team. What’s the best combination tactically, technically mentally and physically.
by am Bays
Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BBL 22/23

Should’ve put them back in and gone for the outright!
by am Bays
Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Time to renegotiate the Stadium deal so more money goes back to the SANFL and footy in this state.
by am Bays
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Glenelg Footy Club releasing this shirt for sale just in time for Xmas
by am Bays
Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

This t-shirt selling out in 15 min bar for a few in size “S”

:shock:
by am Bays
Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BBL 22/23

MatteeG wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:3/3 for the Strikers and that is with Ben Manenti mixing cordial.

Looking good in these early stages

Glenelgesque, one might say...
by am Bays
Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hate to be chasing 250 on day 4 or 5 on this pitch especially after a couple of stinkers on it.

Bowling first is a nice thought but that’s all it should be, Bowling captains are a nice thought….
by am Bays
Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

According to Neil Manthorp there’s 5-6 players who could easily be in this side of available. They’ve got 50-60 players choosing to play overseas on lesser competitions which effects their 1st class cricket

We went four years without winning a test series in the 80s due to unavailability of the likes of Rackerman, Alderman, Hohns, Dyson and others.

Any time a team knows it’s playing without its best players it’s always up against it mentally
by am Bays
Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Is the 3pm tee time tomorrow for Concord or the NSW GC??
by am Bays
Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Elgar goneski

How is he a test cricketer let alone a captain?
His stats are average at best at this level.
I guess it explains why the team is so average

Elgar’s problem now is he is their # 1 batsman when he is more suited to being their 4-5th best someone the likes Du Plessies, De Villiers and De Cock etc can bat around.

He just has to occupy the crease and get to the other end do the guns can do there work a la Booney, Rodgers, Langer etc (no he’s not in their class)

He’s not equipped to be “the man”
by am Bays
Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The ol’ straight break!
by am Bays
Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I get what everyone is saying but surely they’re not that dumb to think the truth isn’t going to come out one day. You can’t delay the inevitable

Better to get it out sooner rather than later as yes it will be shit storm for a week but the reality is sandpapergate isn’t the biggest drama in Australian cricket history would barely make the top 10 (Bodyline WSC, 1970 Riots, ABCC v Melb CC, underarm etc)

Get it out there, the day will come when Warners tells all when his income streams dry up or others factors will mean either he or Candice will tell all.

Lance the boil now CA
by am Bays
Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Modernising Test Cricket

four ball overs so there can be more ads and more opportunities to change gloves and have unscheduled drinks.....
by am Bays
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide

Booney wrote:
DOC wrote:Rowe for mine.

That'd be very entertaining! :lol:
by am Bays
Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: North Melbourne

I sometimes think the role of dual captains is more for the off-field stuff, coterie groups and media to share the load so it isnt a burden on one player, particularly for a club like North which is on a five year development /improvement plan.
by am Bays
Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2023

Who is that?

When we were taken over by the Canadians in 2020 we became part of a global group, Miguel ( Mech Engineer ) is here for 6 months on a transfer program from Portugal. He supports Benfica and Port Adelaide. He was told. :D

Surely that's against the UN Treaty on Human Rights...

Poor Bastard
by am Bays
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2023 season

https://sanfl-content.imgix.net/content/uploads/2023/01/31113306/2023_Hostplus_SANFL_League_Fixture.pdf

Finals at Adelaide oval, you beauty.

I know there's no real move by the SANFL to change but the insane noise to cheapen the finals experience for the players and clubs by playing at local grounds does make me scratch my head.

GF weekend $618 return via sh!tstar, $1006 via QANTAS/Alliance may as well book now.
by am Bays
Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The health system in Australia.
I'm on the public system & I'm getting a defibrillator fitted by the end of February this year, worth approximately $80,000, for absolutely no cost whatsoever!

We'll get that back within 3 years with the taxes and medicare levy you pay!!

You're worth more to us alive.....
by am Bays
Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CDFC 2023

DOC wrote:Is there a bag limit?

Granty, cleaned out his bottom drawer on his last day…
by am Bays
Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Booney wrote:=P~

well done Boon, taking one for the team by doing the market research on this fine "vegan's nightmare" establishment

Added to the list of places to try
by am Bays
Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Married at first sight

Booney wrote:The randy old boiler. :lol:

Shes defiantly seen a cockatoo....
by am Bays
Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

At our cricket clubs 60 (+1) Anniversary (covid) dinner last night I was awarded life membership. Mrs Boon had arranged for Junior, his girl, Miss and her bloke, to be there to see it. I had no idea about either.

My best mate, same. Life membership. Kids there.

Brilliant night, girls did a ripping job. Very proud.

AS others have said, no one "flukes" a Life Membership. It comes on the back of sustained dedication to your club on and off the field.

=D> =D>
by am Bays
Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Collingwood

How's Collingwood's form in bringing out a Jack Ginnevan commemorative guernsey for this year,

A black guernsey with 3 white lines on it....
by am Bays
Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We’ve signed two more Ruckmen

Max Guehrer a former AIS Volleyballer who’s giving footy a crack, will be a work in progress

We’ve signed from Cairns via Darwin Brock Porter. Been playing with former Westies and Glenelg player Tommy Schott at PINTS.

Cole and McGree will be first choice but these two will add some Ruck depth.

Sandy welding his magic again
by am Bays
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian tour of India 2023

You couldnt script this
by am Bays
Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You'll get there, mate.
by am Bays
Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Brodie is a good get.

Good kid. Will provide a good option as a third defender but at the same time provide a bit of run off half back.
by am Bays
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2023

PAFC statement – Black-and-white heritage guernsey
Port Adelaide will wear its iconic black-and-white Prison Bar guernsey in the Round 3 Showdown against the Adelaide Crows.

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/1281323/pafc-statement-black-and-white-heritage-guernsey
100% chance that someone who wears the prison bars to the game will end up behind them that night 8)
by am Bays
Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Rate? I f*cking love it. Join us, you'll love it over here.

Nick Ryan

Why I’m bucking the trend on Daryl Braithwaite’s Horses

It’s hard to pin down the notion of nations, that intangible bond that links disparate people and tells them they’re countrymen. In some places it’s a bond forged by historical hardship, in others it’s adherence to a big political idea.

In Australia it’s an inexplicable fondness for cheesy soft rock.

And it’s got to stop.

Can we please, PLEASE, stop with all this Horses rubbish. It never was a good song and it’s certainly not improved by mass-scale choral conformity.

One voice belting out Horses is an abomination. Thousands belting it out is a crime against humanity.

Horses mania reached its apogee recently when Harry Styles decided to play the song as part of his Hormone Overload Australian tour.

You can just imagine the conversation with his minders when that decision was made.

“Hey Harry, sure, the stadium is full of teenage girls who adore you but if you sing this confected piece of crap written long before any of them were born, they’ll absolutely lose their minds.

“And if you wheel out the old bloke who originally sang it, a guy these girls’ grandmothers thought was a hunk of spunk, you’ll get blanket coverage in every newspaper in the country because the weird Australian obsession with this song has become a bit of a thing.”

Horses mania is the most significant outbreak of a peculiarly Australian need for collective connection through rubbish songs.

Like everyone in the pub dropping their daks when Eagle Rock comes on the jukebox, or mobs of boozed-up blokes belting out the lyrics to a song about a Vietnam veteran with PTSD and a penchant for Chinese prostitutes.

The desire for connection is fundamental. Our brains need it and our hearts want it. In Australia we use our tin ears to get it.

The great mystery is why this bobbing turd of a tune brings so many people together. Pedants love to point out Daryl Braithwaite’s recording of the song is actually a cover of Rikki Lee Jones’ original.

Now if we’d co-opted her best tune, Chuck E’s in Love, this might all be different. But instead we bellow Horses, a tune Jones co-wrote with Walter Becker. Becker was in Steely Dan and for those lucky enough to have no idea who they are, imagine cocaine transformed into soundwaves played through a 1970s hi-fi while you sit in a beanbag filled with pellets of self-loathing and regret. That’s Steely Dan.

Some call Becker a genius. I don’t, but he may have stumbled on a songwriting technique that taps directly into brains of drunken Australians and their need for repetition, affirmation and instruction.

From its halfway point Horses is nothing more than a chorus repeated five times. It doesn’t take a lot of mental capacity to remember that.

Especially when most of it consists of just shouting “Yeah, yeah”.

And then, when the drinking that led to the singing finally knocks you off your feet, the song directs your companions to “Lift you up”.

This is what some are calling our de-facto national anthem. But even that tedious dirge of an official anthem has to be better than this.

These Horses need to go to the knackery.

I don’t hear “all the people of the world” buying your argument so “that’s way it’s going to be, Little Booney….
by am Bays
Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Yank Bakery

You go away and you wonder if it’s nostalgia or just an over-reaction to how good it is due to being away for too long but then you go back

OMG their pastry and the subtle seasoning in their pies and pasties, **** Me get me back here!
by am Bays
Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R1 - Port Adelaide v Adelaide Saturday 3:10pm AO

Booney wrote:PUT ALL THE CHAT IN HERE

NO AFL IN THE SANFL....

;)
by am Bays
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 3 - 2023

Thursday night footy should be banned

Primarily for the sake of my tips :oops:
by am Bays
Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R2 Norwood v Sturt Thursday 7.40

gazzamagoo wrote:Where are the Kelly Brothers?

Richard ended up at the Bay.

Matthew F***ed his knee
by am Bays
Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ashes 2023

I reckon Hardie is a monty as cover for Green (instead of Neser)

Warner tours before Handscomb IMO.

Can throw a Blanket over Warner, Handscomb, Bancroft Renshaw and Harris for those last two batting spots
by am Bays
Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |