Search found 23 matches

Return

Re: Glenelg Recruit Triple Magarey Medalist?

Big Phil wrote:
Wedgie wrote:LOL, I've changed the name of the thread...

Might have to change it, again, Wedgie...

West and Norwood saying they might be interesting in chatting to Jimmy...

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2345/

LOL, I might just change it to someone!
by Wedgie
Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Someone Recruits Triple Magarey Medalist?

Quite sad state of affairs.
Jimmy Allan is a North Adelaide player and always will be. Hope sanity prevails and he can finish his career at Prospect.
Surely we can not be talking mega bucks in what has been offered ?????
by SDK
Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Someone Recruits Triple Magarey Medalist?

Blind faith?
Who was the biggest critic of the club when they've erred in my opinion especially when they stuffed around ex players such as Hargs?
Who couldn't get a question answered at an AGM because the board and CEO were scared of what I would ask?
Who was screaming blue murder when our major sponsor got to send a letter around in a club envelope?
Who was one of the biggest critics of some if the happenings under Jarman?
Who was part of a group that took the club on when the club wanted to merger?
Who was one of the clubs biggest critics in the whole reserves debacle?
I could go on but you've gone from half truths to an insultive ignorant lie now.
Geezus, the club especially under the previous CEO would have loved it if I did have blind faith.
I won't insult you but you're definitely more conformist to your clubs decisions than I ever have been!
And wtf has a grand final when the best side in the comp beat the side that came 5th go to do with anything? Clutching at straws now.
;)
by Wedgie
Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 Tribunal News & Discussions

Elizabeth Oval, Round 14, Sat 19th July 2:10pm. Look forward to seeing holden78 with his number 14 Eagles guernsey standing on the members wing.

7 weeks, can't argue with that. Big loss to the Eagles given his role as a 2nd ruckman as well as forward this season.
by Aerie
Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 8 - North v Port @ Prospect Oval (Sat 24/5)

I don't think it matters what side we line up with. North aren't playing with any passion. We are undisciplined and our teamwork and skills have turned to shit.

This season is shot and hopes of another GF appearance have turned into fears of a Spoon.

I'm predicting that Port will steamroller North by more than 100 points on Sat. Hope I'm wrong but even if North win it would simply be papering over the cracks.
by johntheclaret
Fri May 23, 2014 6:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: are north imploding

LOL \:D/

4 posts in 5 months. You rely are bitter troll mate.
I popped over to your other site to see if I could find an "Are North imploding thread" but guess what.
:roll:
Maybe you should learn how to spell
Maybe I should turn off predictive text but it wouldn't alter anything. Can you please put up a link to your "Are North Imploding" thread on your preferred footy forum as I can't find it.
by johntheclaret
Wed May 13, 2015 5:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Live EPL Scores 2014/15

Leicester City 5 - 1 QPR. I am very very angry that despite Foxtel advertising even tonight on TV and on net that every EPL game shown Iive in full, 3 games were not shown tonight including Foxes game so no joy for me - have to watch replay 0730hrs today! The final round is the only 1 of season that has all 10 games on at same time so Foxtel thinking we will be lazy cheating greedy cvnts and cut 3 games with supposed small supporter bases and nil on the line re relegation etc. Regardless Foxtel, despite 3 calls to them tonight, claim a technical issue which is crap. If I breached a contract to them then they would take action for sure so why should they not be made to pay and compensate. I am going to annoy the shit out of them over this!

Not Happy! :-(
by on the rails
Mon May 25, 2015 3:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sack McGregor!

No rush. Wait for another two weeks - give the man a chance.
by Dogwatcher
Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R11: North v West - Saturday 27 June @ Prospect Oval

North continue to break records, any other team outscored another team by 39-0 in a quarter and lose by 76? :P
by Wedgie
Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R11: North v West - Saturday 27 June @ Prospect Oval

At least our league side is two spots higher on our ladder than the Powers league side is on theirs. :)
And last time we played Carlton we beat them! :P
by Wedgie
Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sydney Swans 2015

Poor article IMHO, someone telling Adam how he should act and feel. No one has that right.
The way hes been treated and the things he's been called wouldn't upset me either, but it doesn't give me the right to tell him how to feel and act.
by Wedgie
Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Alan Obst to Retire Tonight?

Douglas Mawson wrote:Serious question keyboard folk:

1. You have no talent, fitness, physique or idea; versus
2. You have talent, fitness, a physique like Alan's, but a body that just won't stay resilient.

What do you think would be more frustrating ?

Following North
by johntheclaret
Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: EPL Season 2015/2016

2 weeks OTR mIssed out by in the end after a 16 month battle with cancer. :(
Well done Foxes, he'd be so proud.
by Wedgie
Tue May 03, 2016 7:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: EPL Season 2015/2016

That's it - Leicester are champions!
Still unbelievable.
OTR would be proud.
by Spargo
Tue May 03, 2016 7:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vale Brian "the whale" Roberts

I'm only aware of his connection with Richmond during the early-mid 70s, was he initially recruited from the Panthers?

Brian Roberts 28/04/45 - 06/08/16

Roberts, a giant of a man, became affectionately known as "The Whale" during his playing days thanks to his enourmous 199cm, 120kg frame. He played an integral role in Australian Rules football in South Australia, Victoria and Western Australia and is the only player to have represented all three States.

Roberts emigrated from the UK, grew up in Millicent, and did not play football until the age of ten. In his late teens he was attracting interest from VFL clubs but new South Adelaide coach Neil Kerley, believed that he could be an asset to the team and travelled to Millicent in 1964 and persuaded Roberts to join the Club . At that stage Roberts was inexperienced and didn't have the timing and skills to play at SANFL League level.

199 cm ruckmen are common these days, but were few and far between in the 1960's. Kerley realized that Roberts could become a major influence in the SANFL.

He spent the 1964 SANFL season playing in the seconds (reserves) under coach Denis Parham, honing his craft as a ruckman. He became particularly friendly with 1964 Premiership players Dick Jackson, David Kantilla and Gerry O'Brien and attended the team's Grand final celebrations.

Peter Darley's absence with injury in 1965 gave Roberts his opportunity in the league side, rucking with Neil Kerley. At training Kerley, arguably one of the game's most skillful and effective ruckman for his height, would patiently instruct Roberts in the art of ruckwork.

As the 1965 season progressed Roberts was regularly in South's best players. His strengths were his tap ruck work and marking, but was not a super-accurate kick.

He was South's best player in its heartbreaking second semifinal loss to Port Adelaide in '65. Late in the final quarter he had the opportunity to kick a goal which would have put the game out of reach for Port Adelaide, but he was exhausted and "sprayed" the kick.

Port's controversial win with a goal after the final siren has passed into football folklore and still rankles with older South supporters. South went on to lose the preliminary final against an emerging Sturt team when really it should have gone straight into the Grand Final.

Peter Darley returned to the team in 1966, limiting Roberts' opportunities but he played well enough to be selected to represent SA at the Hobart Carnival.

Roberts who, like Peter Darley, enjoyed a drink and a good social life had played well during the year but was not at his best in South's elimination final loss to North Adelaide.

Kerley left to coach Glenelg in 1967 and Roberts accepted an offer to play with East Fremantle in the WAFL where he played for three years and in 1969 was selected in the WAFL State team.

The Whale in action for Richmond in the mid-70s

VFL Club Richmond had kept in touch with him over the years and eventually enticed him to Victoria where he played from 1971-1975, including the great Richmond teams under legendary coach Tom Hafey and was a Premiership player in 1973 and 1974. He also represented Victoria in interstate games during this period.

Roberts suffered a serious kidney injury after a clash with Carlton's John Nicholls and, in an infamous brawl against Essendon in 1974 at Windy Hill, was "king-hit" by Essendon's infamous Ron Andrews suffering a broken nose, broken jaw and cut eye. Andrews was suspended for six weeks even though at the tribunal Roberts pretended he didn't remember the incident. There were enough witnesses and video footage to ensure a significant penalty for Andrews.

By 1975 Roberts was out of favour at Richmond and transferred to South Melbourne (now the Sydney Swans) where after playing only 15 games in the season he was runner-up to Gary Dempsey for the Brownlow medal. In the same year he was also awarded the Australian Football Media Association Player of the Year award as a dual winner with Carlton's Alex Jesaulenko.

He quit football at the end of the season after a disagreement with South Melbourne coach Ian Stewart.
Roberts went on to become a well known publican in Melbourne including 16 years managing the Duke of Wellington Hotel in Flinders St, as well as doing football commentary and newspaper columns. He became a raconteur and all-round good bloke, and has entertained all at South Adelaide reunions with football anecdotes and "send-ups" of his team-mates
by blueandwhite
Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final teams.

Wedgie be having a huge birthday, might be some entertaining posts tonight
I'm happy but ******* exhausted. I gave up when the Eagles were more than 7 goals up.
In absolute shock.
I hugged strangers, I cried, I laughed, I jumped up and down, I cheered, I sang. I'm ******.
Got my cock out a few times today.
Best birthday ever.
by Wedgie
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Congratulations North Adelaide Premiers 2018

Got my new custom number plate protectors from Qld today. :D

FB_IMG_1541555152228.jpg
by Wedgie
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2019 2nd Semi Final - Glenelg v Powerserves

Would Glenelg be better off with a close loss with no injuries and a win next week so as to avoid another 13 days off?
Probably the age old question of minor premiers under the final 5 but the last time a minor premier won the 2nd semi and then the GF was 6 years ago!
Mind you those figures are a bit skewed because of 3 traditional Eagles chokes.
by Wedgie
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2020 2nd Semi Final

whybother wrote:I think that North should play the first 10 mins of the 4th quarter with only 17 men on the field: just to even up a certain past indiscretion.

Whilst closer to 5 mins I agree as long as we get 10k back and start next season with 4 points more than everyone else. :D
by Wedgie
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

Eagles by 38 now. Stick a fork in South's arse, they're cooked. They might want to sneak a 19th man on in the final term; give themselves a silly chance...
by Pseudo
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2020 SANFL Grand Final North v Eagles

Even though I predicted it, it doesn't make it any easier, well done and we'll deserved Eagles. I posted on here pre season Jade Sheedy was having a huge influence at Oval Ave and I expected good things. Eagles have been the best team all year and clearly were the best side today. Congratulations WWT, have a great night. Awesome effort in a difficult year.
by Wedgie
Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Pure Ladder 2022

Oh shit, I knew something was amiss...

Welcome to the eighth year of occupation.

Glenelg looking to go back-to-back after an undefeated 2021. The Bays currently on an 18 game winning streak having last lost in round 12 2020. The Roosters are Clear Minor Premiership Material (tm) with 2 big wins, including a solid away victory over last years' runner up.

Ladder to round 3:
.............P...W...D.....F......A......%
North........2...2...0....198....133....59.82
Sturt........3...2...0....247....194....56.01
Glenelg......2...2...0....159....136....53.90
Eagles.......3...2...0....212....219....49.19
South........2...1...0....152....165....47.95
Central......3...1...0....240....268....47.24
Norwood......2...0...0....142....159....47.18
West.........3...0...0....167....243....40.73
by Pseudo
Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |