Search found more than 1881 matches

Return

Re: AFL 2024

Not that it matters but fantasy footy is destroyed with 9 rounds involving byes
by whufc
Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mens ICC Cricket World Cup, India 2023.

Congratulations to Australia. Will go down is arguably their greatest World Cup win given it was on the subcontinent, beating India in the final and coming from 0-2.

Australia's fielding in the second half of the tournament was incredible and exactly why its such an important part of the game.

Got their batting order balance right, Smith and Labuschagne showing their value in the two finals when Australia needed someone to dig in a bit. Complimented the Warners, Marsh, Head and Maxwell beautifully.

India will be shattered.

Not even top two IMO

1987 is the best for the reason you listed above beat india in india (with Sunil, Shastri Shrikkanth, Dev etc), Pakistan in Pakistan (Imran, Javid, SAlim malik Qadir) and then touched up a very good English team that smoked us in the B&H WSC six months earlier. We revolutionised how one day cricket was played up until then.

Next best is 2007, great team that smoked everyone. Sri Lanka, South Africa, No one came close was just an amazing perforamce.

This team is good but is arguably ranks along side the 1999 win where we started slow and then had to perform very well at the back end to win it.

Not saying this side was the best side we had just as a victory it has to be up there.

2007 did smoke everyone but so it should have..... i would say that is probably the best world cup team but not necessarily the best world cup win. The nature in which we won it has it highly rated for sure but that side should have won the world cup.

1999 started slow when they really shouldn't have with the side they had so i have that a bit below this side. They did come from some crazy positions but that was because they were underperforming for large parts of the tournament especially given that squad. Beat Pakistan in the final who werent a world beating side just an inform side during that tournament.

2015 home world cup has to be up there given the pressure and the fact when we hosted in the 90's we failed miserably.

This team though was given no chance, many including people on here (i didn't go this far but didn't rate the sidely highly) were calling them the worst world cup side we have had. Started poorly on conditions Australia has rarely performed, very minor margin for error and they go on a big streak under all them conditions to win.

Keep in mind they beat an undefeated side on their home soil to win as well makes it extremely special and definitely makes it higher than 1999 and even potentially higher than the 1987 win. Keeping in mind 1987 was almost like a home final for the aussies with the 100,000 Indians cheering the underdogs against the old emporers.
by whufc
Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer 2023/24

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/australia-news-green-harris-renshaw-bancroft-named-in-pm-s-xi-to-face-pakistan-1409889

Prime Minister's XI squad to play Pakistan in Canberra on December 6th-
Nathan McSweeney (c), Cameron Bancroft, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Nathan McAndrew, Todd Murphy, Michael Neser, Jimmy Peirson, Matthew Renshaw, Mark Steketee, Beau Webster

Marcus Harris would have to be the Prime Minister 11/Australia A games record holder hey. ;) :lol:
by whufc
Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2024

The AFLW is classic example that people don't go to watch the standard otherwise Div1 ammo football would get bigger crowds than the AFLW.

Look overseas to the english football / college gridiron football greater standard does not always reflect attendances if you have another selling point or historical relevance. Look at cricket often BBL games can get bigger attendances than an Aussie t20.

Marketing, marketing, marketing, affordability is the only way to attract new generations of supporters. The standard is never going to be that of the AFL so they cant try and attract fans based on the standard.

Standard will only be a deciding factor for the casual, the SANFL wont survive of casuals. The SANFL needs to somehow attract the next bunch of die hards which looks pretty hard at the moment unless your family is ingrained into SANFL football.

First step is they need to go super hard at getting into the schools as much as possible. My 12 year old daughter goes to a northern suburbs school and she has seen Port Power players attend more than the one time in 7 years of school she has seen Centrals. Naturally she takes more an interest in the Power and the players that she has met and seen. If it wasn't for me she would have a clue who Centrals are and lets be real why would she..... how would she know unless a parent takes her.

She has parent monitered social media, she watches netflix, disney etc so would never see a channel 7 game or the news with highlights is on, none of us buy the advertiser so she isnt seeing the articles there. There aren't posters around Elizabeth with Centrals on them really. She asks which team it is whenever we drive past the ground but thats about it. They simply don't exist in her world.
by whufc
Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2023/2024

Bit unfair on Nielson, his no world beater but his a pretty serviceable back up to an international keeper. Averaging close to 30, reasonable enough with the gloves.
by whufc
Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Getting rid of the AFL reserves teams will be a good start.
Another problem is traditional SANFL fans are getting old and dying, not sure what we can do about that. Cheaper anti-aging drugs? :lol:

Whilst I'm not a fan of the AFL Reserves teams in the comp, I don't think getting rid of the Reserves teams will help crowd numbers increase.
But increasing the Salary Cap will help keep some talent in the competition as the players won't be as tempted at 25+ years of age to go to country and amateur clubs for large $$$ packages. Keeping talent in the comp will help keep crowd numbers up because who wants to watch an average brand of footy?
The competition won't survive if the mass exodus of talented players continue.
I'm also not sure why SANFL clubs continue to announce 18-year-old unknown players from interstate unless they are the next Harley Reid, this surely can't continue, it's embarrassing.
The SANFL could also spend some money in marketing the competition, and putting on some new positions in marketing.

A few suggestions, would like to hear other views?

Not sure people go to the SANFL because of the standard of football. Every season there is going to be a couple of crap teams who play average standard of football and there will be a few good teams that will have crowds interested because of their success. Unless all the coaches get together and all commit to playing a full-on attacking brand of football i can't see the standard determine crowds a whole lot. As an over 35er you either support an SANFL club or you don't and as a kid/teenager your not choosing to go to a game based on the standard its because of the marketing etc.

SANFL is in a very tough spot in the market place. Kind of in no mans land. Don't have the marketing power and presence the AFL have and never will have. Also trying to maintain the semi professional standard clubs are running on a streamline budget and having to put prices to a level that are well above the pub test of value.
by whufc
Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2024 Adelaide Footy League - Division 6

Drove past Salisbury training last night. Lucky to have 20 blokes and most looked about 15 years old. Long year ahead.
It's **** November..

We started last night, but it's optional sessions pre-xmas once a week. We certainly aren't phased if we get 2, 20 or 200 out - really up to the players who are keen.

Seasons are so long as it is, yet every year feels like clubs want to make them even longer just to keep up / match everyone else.

Pre-xmas is largely a waste of time IMO... most blokes in this level are only gonna go on a 2 week bender over xmas / NYE anyway.

Agreed 100%. Flaggies have won 7 of the last 8 flags n the SFL, if you have a look at their session numbers at the moment they'd barely have more than a dozen.

if this was March, then Salisbury would be up the proverbial without a paddle

we are the same. Won 6 out of the last 7 years (playing in 7 straight GF's).

We don't start pre season until mid/late January once everyone has had a mini break after harvest. Even then we will probably train with 10-15 people up until Feb. Whilst teams like North Clare, South Clare will get 40 a session right now and then nothing coming June.

100% of our pre season is done with the balls as including warm up / down laps. On average we can normally smash 7-8 kms in 60 minutes to the dot with nothing but ball work working on ball movement, structures, decision making, competitve work etc.

For us our 'fit blokes' are generally training 4-5 nights a week anyway on their own personal fitness goals. We had 4 blokes go and run the Sydney marathon 7 days after winning the premiership this year and not finishing drinking until Wednesday ;) :lol:
by whufc
Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CDFC 2023

Excited to see Jack come across but a tad nervous for the young lad.

Whilst Purple Warrior put it extremely brash at the end of the day Jack is a very young lad, only slightly built and hasn’t played much senior football. It’s not unreasonable to think he will have periods in the ressies

Just hope the fan base are reasonable and remember Nutter came over in his is mid 20’s, with vfl credentials and was coming into his peak.

This is also the first son of the dynasty generation to come through (Thommos brother has played obviously) so that will add to supporter expectation.

Wishing him all the best.
by whufc
Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Obviously won't be completely smooth sailing but cancers out = fantastic opportunity for the SANFL.
They now have a fantastic marketing opportunity.

What changes are you making, just some suggestions not all logistically do-able:

-8 teams, top 4, 3 week finals series, I'm keeping finals at AO. Probably going with 21 game season playing each team 3 times....probably have preferred less games however.

-Grand Final to move back to the October long weekend Sunday. Could even be a Saturday hey??

-Lower the entrance price. I understand this has a flow on effect with memberships prices etc but i think it has to happen.

-Me personally i am opening the season with a gather round style day at AO. Free entry for all, carnival atmosphere, lots and lots for the kids to do, including meet and greet with players etc. Make it as interactive as possible. Surely if we can have a kick to kick on AO after a game we could get permission to let supporters onto AO for the quarter time huddles etc. Clubs to have membership marquees on the day etc.

-Every club must play one home game in their country zone.

-Could there be the potential to have u/16's , u/18's, reserves, league play at the same ground on the same day. More chance these families, players, friends etc will come and then stay on to watch other games. Yes the ovals will get smashed on the day but they will also get weekends with no footy on them.

-Crazier idea but could the SANFL offer a bonus premiership point for teams who score over 100pts in a game. Incentivize attacking football, keep games interesting to the final siren. If you are playing. Would also push the clubs to make sure their grounds don't end up as bog heaps.

-Another crazy idea and somewhat stolen from the AFL/NFL, but would you have a mid-season trade period. That way you might stop fringe reserve blokes who leave in June to country teams as they could get another SANFL crack. Would get some media exposure as well you would imagine.

Anyway just thoughts as i sit in a lecture style zoom meeting. :lol:
by whufc
Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CDFC 2023

Excellent news i hope our supporters dont put to much expectation on Jack and just let him play .

100%

Thats my only hope people remember what stages both are in their careers and be understanding Jack may need a couple of years.

Watching a bit of the u/18 carnival, mainly interested in a BSR lad who was playing i caught a bit of Jack. He has bucket loads of talent but he is very light. Could be wrong but i also don't think he has played much senior football so stepping up to the physical nature of the SANFL may take some adjustment.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him spend some time throughout the year in the ressies and that's absolutely fine.

Wishing the lad the best of luck, im sure many a Central supporters can remember Jack on the northern hill at elizabeth oval kicking the ball throughout games. Time has gone so fast.
by whufc
Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sportsbet offered $5.50 for 2 of Warner, Labuschagne, Smith, Babar to hit 100 in the first innings this test.

Just hope one of Labuschange and Smith get a bat. :lol:
by whufc
Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Warner is a great know doubt.

What has him slightly behind some of the greats for me is his away average of 32.50 which barely has you in the team.
by whufc
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I didn't see much yesterday but how much time lost due to batsmen taking a drinks break/changing gloves??

That's the first thing, I'd be outlawing. Change them at official breaks not between overs.

Yep batsmen are just as responsible as bowlers for modern day slow over rates.
by whufc
Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Surely no supporters actually like Warner.

I get you can forgive his behavior/personality because of his talent but no one actually likes him right???? No one is putting their hand up to have a beer with him at your local hey? He definitely wouldn't shout that's for sure.
by whufc
Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Perth crowds
Day 1 a pathetic 16k turned up and all we hear is that it’s a working day, not school holidays blah, blah, blah
Day 2 another pathetic 17k crowd and all we hear is it’s Friday and they will pour through the gates on Saturday
Day 3 is smaller crowd of 16k despite being on a Saturday. Now the excuses are it’s too hot, Pakistan are batting too slow, Langer isn’t coaching, Bancroft isn’t playing blah, blah, blah
Day 4 and absolutely woeful crowd of 9k show up and cue more excuses

If SACA don’t grow a pair and demand better from CA they all need to step down. Absolutely sick and tired of CA pandering to the ingrates of WA and it’s always Adelaide that gets screwed

I still can't fathom why we start tests on a Thursday. That's a crowd killer to start with. By the time the weekend arrives, the test is often near decided. Why would you stump up money for the Sunday of a test in Australia these days?

100% agree and cant fathom why....

You would have to think with the years on years of data CA would have from attendances to tv ratings etc there must be a reason they haven't permanently moved tests to a Friday start. Just can't figure out what that would be.
by whufc
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Perth crowds
Day 1 a pathetic 16k turned up and all we hear is that it’s a working day, not school holidays blah, blah, blah
Day 2 another pathetic 17k crowd and all we hear is it’s Friday and they will pour through the gates on Saturday
Day 3 is smaller crowd of 16k despite being on a Saturday. Now the excuses are it’s too hot, Pakistan are batting too slow, Langer isn’t coaching, Bancroft isn’t playing blah, blah, blah
Day 4 and absolutely woeful crowd of 9k show up and cue more excuses

If SACA don’t grow a pair and demand better from CA they all need to step down. Absolutely sick and tired of CA pandering to the ingrates of WA and it’s always Adelaide that gets screwed

I still can't fathom why we start tests on a Thursday. That's a crowd killer to start with. By the time the weekend arrives, the test is often near decided. Why would you stump up money for the Sunday of a test in Australia these days?

100% agree and cant fathom why....

You would have to think with the years on years of data CA would have from attendances to tv ratings etc there must be a reason they haven't permanently moved tests to a Friday start. Just can't figure out what that would be.

Move day 1 to Saturday when a majority of people can attend.

Personally i would think day 1 crowds are the best regardless of what day they are on, so have them on a Friday where you get a sell out.

Then day 2 / 3 on the weekend when ticket sales will be great due to being the weekend.
by whufc
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Amber’s all time Xl
Hayden
Greenidge
Lara
Tendulkar
Ponting
Kallis
Gilchrist
Warne
Ambrose
McGrath
Younis

My opinion only
Your team is better than MAxwelLs

Everyone is saying Kallis is better than Stokes , I agree
Stokes is not even the best allrounder for his country in the 50 years
Ian Beefy Chappelli Hater Terrence Botham I think is better than Stokes
Stokes slightly better batsman, but nowhere near Botham as a bowler

You could make a case his not even their best all rounder in the last 15 years.
by whufc
Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Brodlach wrote:David Warners backpack containing his baggy green caps had gone missing, the drama continues

FWIW I actually don’t mind him.

I cant stand him but he doesnt deserve that. Hopefully gets them back so he can enjoy his last test and then ride off into th sunset.......until he's on our airways yuck.
by whufc
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ill enjoy watching Jamals' last test innings before he goes and joins the T20 tours around the world.
by whufc
Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TDK's International Test Cricket Update's

The future of test cricket on display in SA with 2 day tests

Obviously not great for the game but it was fun to watch for the two days.

I want to see the opposite to T20, i want to see a format of the game where they play on absolute landmines and we watch batsmen jump around and struggle, a format where 100 in total wins you the game as the bowlers dominate. Now that would be entertainment. :lol:
by whufc
Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don’t get the love for Green.
Sure he’s gonna be a good player but why shouldn’t he be made to wait like good players in the past.

I’m bringing in Bancroft to open and making Green score runs at State level first.

He's 24, can bat at 5 ( averaging 33 ) bowl at 140k's ( averaging 35 ) and might be the best gully fielder we've ever had, that's what.

He's actually a sign the Australian selectors have an eye for the future, hard to believe I know!

With our 3 quicks, Lyon and now Marsh we don’t really need an extra bowler do we?
If he comes in I think he has to be able to justify playing as just a batter and his average so far doesn’t justify that.

Agree about his fielding though as he’s as good as I’ve ever seen in that area.

Not now we don't, in the next 18 months however......which is why i think they will go with Green.

Green would get to start with a soft series against the WI and hopefully find some test form back. He has a solid technique, seems to have no blatantly obvious weaknesses and IF he can find his confidence has the ability to bat a few levels. He hasn't done it at test level yet but has played some pretty fast scoring knocks in the shield and one day competitions.

Worst case scenario if he opens is that he doesn't find the form with the bat but potentially bowls really well and still remains the allrounder replacement for when Marsh finishes up which would have to be in the next 24 months.

The funny part about Green is its not completely out of the question that he might end up making it as a test cricket who bats well and bowls a little but also might turn out that he becomes a gun bowler who bats at 8. Could end up being the reverse to Steve Smith.
by whufc
Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cricket Commentators

Imo Kerry jokes arent overly funny and always outdated. His play by play commentary is average.

His knowledge of the game and his research on players leading up to the tour is the best in the game. He clearly watches as much cricket as possible and is a cricket tragic, often can correctly refer to dismissals in a previous tour between non Australian teams etc. No one in the commentary team knows the overseas players as well him. Same goes of his knowledge of how blokes have performed in the shield.
by whufc
Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BBL 23/24

I don't follow T20 much - what is the best comp after the IPL? Depends on who you listen too/what articles you read, there's the CPL (Caribbean), PSL (Pakistan), T20 Blast (England), SA20 (South Africa), LPL (Sri Lanka) and the ILT20 (UAE) to compare to the BBL.

Australia’s depth in the competition would have to be better than all those comps above. England would be the closest but given there is about 18 teams there has to be some real spuds getting some games.
by whufc
Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bailey has just confirmed Smith is opening

The more I’ve thought about it the more I can see the move working (unless age has caught up with Smith)

In recent times the two areas I feel his been failing is his patience (as evidenced in the dismissal at cover against Pakistan) and the short ball.

By opening his less likely to get peppered with the short ball early with bowlers not willing to waste the new ball. At his absolute best Smith is patient and makes bowlers bowl to his areas. Absolutely no excuses for him at the top of the order, if he can get back to his patient best no reason he can’t make opening a success.
I thought his best was when he was flamboyant, I think he struggles to find the right ball to hit when he bats with patience.

Maybe… I just think when he has the bowlers bowling to the areas he wants is when his at his best. Short ball and leg side field has seemed to trouble him and same as when they go real wide outside off. Once he gets them bowling a stumps or two outside off - middle stump is when he starts toying with them, whipping balls through leg occasionally then on other occasions using his wrists/hands to find gaps in the offside

It’s all just opinion I suppose and we will see in the coming weeks how he starts albeit against weaker opposition
by whufc
Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bailey has just confirmed Smith is opening

The more I’ve thought about it the more I can see the move working (unless age has caught up with Smith)

In recent times the two areas I feel his been failing is his patience (as evidenced in the dismissal at cover against Pakistan) and the short ball.

By opening his less likely to get peppered with the short ball early with bowlers not willing to waste the new ball. At his absolute best Smith is patient and makes bowlers bowl to his areas. Absolutely no excuses for him at the top of the order, if he can get back to his patient best no reason he can’t make opening a success.
by whufc
Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Bedge wrote:Why didn't Head move up to #4 when Smith opened?

Enough common sense around here....back to the amatuer league threads for you. ;) :lol:
by whufc
Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Brodlach wrote:Still made everyone pay to get in today at full price

As silly as the decision is they didnt make anyone do anything did they????
by whufc
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Still made everyone pay to get in today at full price

As silly as the decision is they didnt make anyone do anything did they????

I would have said "Thanks, but no thanks", and made my way to the nearest pub

100%

TBH i would never haven't went into the city, there was no indication they were offering the day for free.
by whufc
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

mal wrote:After today only 3 more days of this Test series left ?

Probably the most underwhelming summer of test cricket we have ever had.

If it wasn't for a couple of young tourists having a bright start to their careers it would be an even more dire summer.
by whufc
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PDCA

A One Tree Hill bloke took a double hat-trick on the eeekdn

14 year old for Atco took a hat-trick on his debut A Grade Div 1 game….not a bad effort.
by whufc
Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

CA will drop all references to Australia Day during the Gabba Test.
What a fn joke that they try and tell us we cant have any pride in our own country anymore.
Will they drop Australia from their name?

We must be a fair laughing stock to the rest of the world, the debate is annual, the result is that it hasn’t changed, how the hell do we have a public holiday but are encouraged not to celebrate it, someone need to make a decision and nip this in the bud forever.

Agree. I'm happy for a change of date/name etc but the current situation as it stands is an absolute joke. nor here nor there.
by whufc
Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Interesting drinks being run out for everyone at end of over

Umpires stepped in and wouldnt let the Windies batsman have a drink or wipedown however Australians allowed :shock:

Yep because captain Pat whinged about it. Test cricket umpires are so weak these days.

Notice he was enjoying a drink and a cold towel though :evil:

Clearly his complaint to the umpires was all tactics and it worked so good luck to him.

Issue are the umpires who are that daft and gutless to stand up to the big name players and tell them to pull their heads in.
by whufc
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Still stand by Root being Englands best spinner.
by whufc
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes yes yes!!!!!

Gave em sum licks man!!!!
by whufc
Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Aussies would be hurting but you could see in their handshakes the sincere congrats to Shamar….was genuinely classy.
by whufc
Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Come on Windies!!!! 1 to get!!
Nah F*** that, I’m still spewing after the 1993 Adelaide oval test match and the pantsing we got in the 80s

Watching with my West Indian grandad (Jamaican born in Kingston) maybe the last ever windies Australia test we watch together due to his age so this an epic finish.
by whufc
Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Put (too) many South Australians in there and you get redbackesque performances ;) :lol:
by whufc
Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tom Moody 6ft 6 and was moderately succesful
Peter Fulton 198cm average 25 at test, wouldnt really call him successful but
Jason Holder 201cm went ok.
Ravi Shastri was 191cm
Chris Gayle 188cm

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/australia/cricket-2020-tallest-test-batsmen-of-alltime-cameron-green-tom-moody-australia-peter-fulton-new-zealand/news-story/965a98665b876be96fb16a64d971e4b4
by whufc
Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How good is Ravi.

His World Cup was amazing and now a test 100.
by whufc
Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think the umpire has probably got it wrong...

I guess it comes down to what defines an appeal.

Came across a bit premeditated from the umpire, almost like he was looking for that and somewhat new the aussie players had been somewhat not showing the umpires enough respect during their appeals.
No way, I'm with the umpire on this one.. not hard to show a modicum of interest in the appeal - instead of just expecting the umpire to go upstairs - reeks of arrogance and laziness by the Aussies.

Lesson learned for them.

Won the game, get over it.

Yeah i dont disagree the players should show more respect to the umpire and i agree this has probably all come about due to the levels of arrogance shown by most players from most countries.

What i mean in regards to the umpire got it wrong is that like mentioned you have until the next ball is bowled until an appeal needs to be made. Amongst the bickering between the players and umpire you can here either Mitch Marsh or Josh Hazelwood on numerous occasions say 'well howz that then'. At that point letter of the law the umpire should have went upstairs i think.
by whufc
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaza FC - Salary Cap Breaches

I think the general consensus is that yes Gaza f***ed up but for an entire club to have to fold due to the behavior of 3-4-5 people is probably a tad harsh, especially given the climate where volunteers are so hard to come by its not like members of clubs can often be very selective when electing a new committee.
You're kidding yourself.

The penalty cant be disproportionate because you have the warm and fuzzys about the club. what you're effectively saying is "Hey the more you cheat, the more you get off".

Reality is they systematically broke the rules over a prolonged period of time - not just one or two years. Clubs like Willaston and Jervois copped their whack for their breaches and no one batted an eye lid, saw it as fair.. why coz it wasn't threatening to close the doors like Gaza? Also two clubs that fully complied with the SANFL.

Willaston :A summary of the penalties is as follows
$8,000 fine ($2k suspended)
Loss of 6 premiership points - 2 for 2018 and 4 for 2019.
Loss of three points under the Approved Player Points System (APPS) in both season 2019 and 2020
Two officials banned from holding position for 12 month.

Jervois: A summary of the penalties is as follows:
$26,500 fine ($9,500 of which is suspended)
Limited to a total of four points allocated under the Approved Player Points System (APPS) in both season 2024 and 2025
Loss of 8 premiership points in 2023 and 2024 (four points per year).

Not saying they shouldn't be punished. Just saying i dont think any club should receive a death sentence

Do you think members would have know it was going on. I'm the b grade coach at our club and honestly i wouldn't/dont have a single clue what any player is on. I dont need to know, i dont want to know, it wouldn't help my coaching performance knowing and its not a subject that gets spoken about by players etc.
by whufc
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Booney wrote:Yeah, merger, yeah. :roll:

two different entities that are now one club........thats a merger right. ;) :lol:
by whufc
Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Got to be up there as one of the worst batting line ups for a supposed no.1 Test team.

When this team starts failing, which it will, it will be a hard thud.

That’s what happens when the chairman of selectors admits to only looking one or two Tests ahead. :roll:

Will still win easily but that just extends the fallacy for longer.

Australia are number 1 test side because the bowling is so bloody good only one batsmen an innings has to make a score for them to be in the game.
by whufc
Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just saw a couple more replays….thats as bad as it gets in football in the 2020’s.
by whufc
Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

MW wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:Webster gets 7 weeks

Saints play North in R8

you have to think this played a part... typical AFL

Will add spice to the game but you wouldn't think Webster will be playing after a 7 week lay off.
by whufc
Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Concussion

Yep, agree 100%, know that from personal experience! if anything should be made mandatory, it should be mouthguards
I cant work out for the life of me why people don't wear a mouthguard anyway! Surely if there is one thing you don't want knocked out, it's your teeth.

Never wore one in a game of either aussie rules or union. I tried them in training but could never get use to trying to breath with them........even when i had dentist fitted ones.

Always felt gassed or like i was going to 'gag' hahaha or some shit....felt like a sitting duck if i couldnt run well.
by whufc
Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ATCA

I don't think Frogbox is allowed as evidence in ATCA

i hope thats not the case.....

I know that some games have frogbox others dont etc but at the end of the day if the evidence exists it should be used regardless of the source.

Watch the league cry around September next year that they dont have enough umpires to cover all grades.

Horrible decision.
by whufc
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2024 Adelaide Footy League - Division 7

Do players actively shop themselves? I assumed it was the other way, not that I've been involved with clubs for a long while.

Mate of mine, his lad will get half a dozen messages each off season from various clubs. I assumed this was the norm!

Some do.

some of the stories and the message threads between player and club make you pull your hair out though.

Maybe it's just the boys I know, then. Youngest couple of lads get offers from previous coaches, etc, while their elder brother gets chased pretty hard by clubs, they use an "in" to try to get him across, like a former team mate or friend, or sometimes it's a cold call.

When i got the b grade gig up here i received 10 messages in the first week from blokes who were willing to play for me....'always finished with XXXX club are offering me XXXX amount so thats kind of what im looking for'

In saying that its not always the case...... we had a great experience last year with Daniel Soppitt from Fitzroy. I've known him for a fair few years and he was looking to have a one year country experience before he retired. Never once asked for money, trained once a week with our city guys and was great around the club. There are still some great people/players around the traps.
by whufc
Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PDCA

the joker wrote:Heated out in finals is the worst.

Washed out is even worse. You have to sit around and see the smiles on the oppositions face.
by whufc
Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What is the game situation we are making that decision on?

The best batters throughout history have always been able to bat at different paces. Even Warner and Gilchrist knew how to bat situations despite the fact they always looked to play on the positive side.

Head has more opposition attention on him then ever before. The fact he is going hard every single time regardless of situation the bowlers aren’t having to ball to him anymore, captains can set pre planned fields from ball one and stick

I dont think Trav should be dropped but I’m not sure having one plan only is the best option long term either. Just like Bazball it can be real successful for periods but without a plan b it looks unsustainable long term.

I guess to answer you question….Head caught teams off guard with his ball one attack so when he comes out to bat next he is going to have the advantage of NZ setting defensive fields with blokes spread on the boundary. Now that he is out of form I would like to see him use that to his advantage and work into the innings by manipulating the spread field. Give the NZ captain a different look to think about. Maybe try and force him to bring some fielder closers to bat. Maybe make the bowlers find a straighter line to him.

Just like he had nothing to lose with his brazen attack, he has nothing to lose for an innings or two reigning it in a tad whilst still being positive

Forget all of that if he comes in at 3/250 haha
by whufc
Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |