Search found 154 matches

Return

Insignificant stat

Did anyone else notice that Warren Partland stated in his article in the Sunday Mail that 1991 was the first Grand Final for 42 years that hadn't featured Port, Norwood, Sturt or Glenelg. What a pathetic stat when you consider that 2000 was the first year ever (102 years) that hadn't featured any of Port, Norwood, Sturt or North . Surely that is much more significant and worthy or being put into an article.

Do the Sunday Mail journalists ever do any research or are they so limited in their resources that they no longer have researchers?
by robranisgod
Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: GONG or Wronggggggg

The only problem with Matty Wade is his wicked keeping. Dreadful.

It is beyond comprehension how Hartley isn't around the place. He is clearly the best gloveman in the country, Haddin included. They say his batting isn't good enough but he has averaged more than the wonder boy Marsh in each of the last three seasons.
by robranisgod
Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 4 - Central v South @ Playford Alive Oval (Sat 26/4)

when was the last time the Panthers started 3-0????

1991 we finished minor premiers and were knocked out in straight sets.
Despite what has been stated on the Recovery Session, South could not have been 3-0 in 1991 because they definitely lost the first game of the year to eventual premier, North, at Prospect.
by robranisgod
Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: History of ANZAC Day Grand Final replay

So Friday was North's first win in an Anzac Day rematch in 53 years. And I was at both games. That is a long time between victories.
by robranisgod
Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 5 - South v Eagles @ Hickinbotham (Sun 4/5)

I'll take a great bit of pride out of the weekends game if we can take the W away from Noarlunga. Awful lot of haters of Ainger, Boyd and Wundke out there. But the question has to be asked - why did they leave. Look after your own backyard and maybe your players will want to stay and play for your club. Don't blame the Eagles because they wanted to leave.

I think you will find it is "how they left the club" that has pi$$ed off South supporters (and trust me ...we have a right to be pi$$ed!) :evil:

In the case of Wundke, didn't he leave the club for exactly the same reason that he came to the club?
by robranisgod
Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL State Squad possibles

How about this side then?:

F: Coad Wundke Silverlock
HF: Phillips Eddy Cross
C: Jarrad Schmidt Beech
HB: Thomas Miles McGuiness
B: Bode Stephens Caire
RU: Kurtze Tambling Summerton

Int: Brooksby Liddle Kirkwood Powell
Unlucky: Boyd, Ainger, Raymond, B.Kane
Powell can play back, Brooksby forward/ruck, Liddle & Kirkwood & Cross can all play on ball, Phillips & Silverlock can play wing

I've tried to incorporate the suggestions made throughout the thread - any objections or suggested improvements?

Have Caire and Silverlock been playing well enough this year to warrant a spot? Isn't Beech a forward player rather than a midfielder?

Tambling is a very good player but not sure he gets enough of the ball to be a starting midfielder.

From a North viewpoint there is one glaring omission and that is Matthew Campbell. He has been outstanding in the games that he has played for North this year and North missed him dreadfully last Saturday when he was out with a foot injury. I think that his use of the ball is second to none and he still breaks lines with his run.
by robranisgod
Tue May 06, 2014 10:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: North's players from Spell_check's list

Can add Nick Dinham to the list.
by robranisgod
Sun May 18, 2014 6:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: North's players from Spell_check's list

Can now add Michael Virgin to the list.
by robranisgod
Wed May 28, 2014 3:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Club Finances

I thought he played a whole bunch in the ruck whilst at north. Happy to stand corrected.

Started down back early 2012 I think but then went forward and stayed there IIRC .. RIG will know

You are right JK. He was named at Centre Half Back in his first two games for North. He struggled, went forward and stayed there for the rest of his time at North and also the Crows.

Last year at Glenelg James Craig went down with an injury late in the first quarter. North didn't have a back up ruckman so they virtually conceded the tap to Lachlan Button who had over 70 tap outs. Johnston and Tom Langford were the nominal ruckmen who didn't get a tap between them but Johnston in particular got a lot of the ball as a virtual ruck rover changing up forward.

The next week North brought Shahinger in to do the rucking whilst Craig was out injured.
by robranisgod
Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 Tribunal News & Discussions

The Cantona incident reminds me of the headline of one of the British tabloids at the time : "Sh*t hits fan". The only problem was that I thought that Cantona kicked rather than hit the fan.
by robranisgod
Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R15 North v Norwood @ Prospect Saturday

Crowd 3,059
Terrible crowd given that two years ago in a televised match on a Saturday North vs Norwood drew a crowd of 4,134 which was the biggest Saturday afternoon crowd of the 2012 season. Even last year North vs Norwood drew a bigger crowd than yesterday and last year's game as well as being televised also clashed with a Crows Football Park game.
by robranisgod
Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Rezoning

One of the final nails in West Torrens Football Clubs coffin was taking most of their traditional area away from them and giving them the Tea Tree Gully area. Sure they got Bruce Lindsay from there, but so many top footballers from that area went to closer clubs. I know for a fact that the Jarman brothers were tied to Torrens as was North premiership player, Roger Carlaw. Port premiership player Ben Harris was also tied to Torrens and I have heard of a number of other Norwood, North, Port and Central players who were tied to Torrens but preferred to play closer to home. Johnny Graham went onto the radio pleading for the league to do something in that regard, but they had the rule in place that juniors could change clubs for $2000. Wealthy clubs like Norwood had a field day and my own club didn't do too badly either.
With these new boundaries, I can see something similar happening.
by robranisgod
Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: East Perth Eagles also come second to the LPR of the WAF

The last 23,000 crowd for a VFL GF was 1989 (23,272) Coburg v Williamstown.
Crowd today of 23,816 was biggest since 1978 - 30,569 for Prahran v Preston
Hate to be pedantic, but Coburg vs Williamstown wasn't the VFL final, it was the VFA final. The VFL Grand Final was Hawthorn vs Geelong and the VFL Reserves was Fitzroy vs Geelong
by robranisgod
Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 1945-1990

I agree that Ebert would not have won the three flags.

After the game where Port beat Norwood, North, seemingly as always won at Alberton. North were reigning premiers but their title defence spluttered for the first half of the season other than the Alberton win.

Then also as so often happened at that time as well North beat Norwood at the Parade and then fronted Port at Footy Park. Such was the tightness of the competition that the winner went to second on the table and the loser dropped out of the five. North led comfortably all day and late in the last quarter were still 20 odd points in front. Cahill apparently at this stage said to his assistant, Brian Fairlough, that they were about to drop out of the five. But importantly Cahill didn't panic, kept his structure, including Phillips and Leslie in defence and Port won by less than a goal. They went on to win the flag and the reigning premier remained sixth for the rest of the season.

As we walked disappointedly from Footy Park my family and friends all agreed that if Ebert was coach he would have panicked (as most of us would have) and put Phillips and/or Leslie up forward and North would have won comfortably.

Sure Ebert was building the team but he could never beat Norwood and rarely beat North whilst he was coach. Cahill changed all that quickly.
by robranisgod
Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Norwood & the salary cap

mickey wrote:Eagles aren't fish.....

The Eagle Ray is sort of.
by robranisgod
Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

"we(Port Adelaide) got 40000 to the GF last year"
Yeah, Port drew 40,000 Norwood fans to the GF. :roll:

A few more than Centrals, West and North did anyway

Yes, only a few more than Norwood and North drew at the unfashionable Footy Park. North vs Norwood 36,685. Port vs Norwood at Adelaide Oval 38,644. Not a huge difference especially considering the relative merits of the two differing venues.
by robranisgod
Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Aus v Ind Test Series

Agreed. India's best bat as well.

Yep, I'm a fan too, just what India need is someone with the confidence and arrogance to take the game on.

I disagree. Until they stop preparing disgusting pitches they will get flogged when ever they tour to England, Australia and South Africa which surprise in 100 plus years of Cricket consistently are the best performing sides in the history of the game and would not have the resources India can afford.

so we are allowed to produce fast bouncy pitches (at at least some of our grounds) but they are not allowed to produce big turners?

basically what you are arguing for is for pitches all around the world to be the same as in australia. the fact that you have to play on different surfaces and it is very hard to win away from home is part of the charm of test cricket imo.

now getting belted 4-0 or 3-0 doesn't make for great viewing, but they are hardly the first or last international cricket team to do that.

i mean we couldn't even beat pakistan. maybe we are fast track bullies? :D

Big difference between the sub-continent and overseas is that that the majority of cricket grounds around the world have grass on the deck and they don't have dozens of people ripping grass and roots of pitches for days leading up to test matches and just turn them in to rolled mud. I don't mind preparing pitches to suit however I just can't respect venues that doctor pitches to that degree and that's while they will get flogged for years to come when they travel.
According to Ian Chappell, who I respect greatly, India have never doctored pitches. It is just a fact of life and their climate that they produce turners.

Also according to Chappell you are not a test cricketer unless you can perform on the turning pitches of India. In 1969-70 he had a great battle with Prasanna in particular and the other Indian spinners.

The country Chappell suggests doctors pitches is South Africa. Once again in 1969-70 for one test they produced a green top. Bill Lawry won the toss and sent South Africa in to bat. After the toss and before the game started the South African curator came out and mowed the pitch leaving it bereft of any grass.
by robranisgod
Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Club Finances

Hearing that the premiers have had to cut staff from their senior coaching group in order to cut expenditure. Geez if the 3 x premiers are going rough financially the whole comp might be in trouble.
Far from going rough financially.
Reckon we are in a pretty good position, you can always make cuts though, perhaps the club though some money was been wasted .
I wish my mob would waste some money and win one premiership let alone three.
by robranisgod
Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Godden Steps Down as State Coach / Cornes Appointed

Don't have anything against the appointment due to his SOO record as long as he goes to every game possible before the State Game.

On a side note, has he ever coached an SANFL rep side (i.e. as opposed to a SOO side)? My recollection is that he hasn't.
He certainly coached the state side as distinct from the State of Origin side in Perth in 1987. South Australia won easily.
by robranisgod
Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 1 - Norwood v Sturt @ Coopers Stadium (Thur N 2/4)

On the game, interested in the opinion of those there, was Allan's game as amazing as his stats or were a lot of them ineffectual?
Looks damn good on paper.

37 disposals
18 kicks
6 marks
6 tackles
6 clearances
6 Inside 50s
0 score
Imo, his role has changed dramatically since leaving North. I felt he was more of an outside player at prospect, however, he is often at the bottom of the pack and getting the hard ball.

Warren Partland has a lot to answer for. He repeatedly peddled the myth that Jimmy was an outside player. Jimmy always won his fair share of hard ball. I saw all of his games at North and quite a few at Norwood and his style hasn't changed at all. The only thing that has changed over the years is that his delivery improved markedly around 2009
by robranisgod
Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 4 - Norwood v Port @ Adelaide Oval (Fri N 24/4)

Only really since 2001 that the previous years' grand finalists have played ANZAC Day every year

2000 - Norwood v Sturt
1997 - Port v Norwood
1996 - Port v West & North v WWT
1994 - Port v WWT & South v Sturt
1993 - Port v Sturt & South v North
1992 - North had the bye

Edit: 2004 no games on ANZAC Day, but Power v Western Bulldogs
The Anzac Day Grand Final rematch was a tradition for a long time in the twentieth century.

My records only go back to the year of my birth, 1954, but in 1954, 1956 and then every year from 1958 until 1985 inclusive the Grand Final rematch was played on Anzac Day or on April 26th if Anzac Day fell on a Sunday. Occasionally, especially if Anzac Day fell on a Saturday other games would be played as well, but the two Grand Finalists always met on that day.

After North played Glenelg in the Grand Final in 1985, the powers that be decided to program a "blockbuster" on Anzac Day rather than the two Grand Finalists, thus from 1985 until 1997 we rarely if ever got the two Grand Finalists doing battle on Anzac Day. Since then I think they have every year other than the year 2000. Even in 2004 Central and West, the two previous year's Grand Finallists played on the holiday Monday fro Anzac Day, so the tradition continued.
by robranisgod
Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yep, sadly remember that 88' 2nd Semi. Port had an outstanding team, whereas ours was very hot and cold and it didn't help that we lost our regular CHB in Craig Kelly via a terribly undisciplined cheap shot on Robert Handley the week before. The game was played in beautiful conditions, but that Port defence just seemed impassable in 88' and 89'. Actually thought the Bays did well in the GF to get as close as they did.
The Port Half Back line in 1988 of Abernethy, Greg Phillips and Martin Leslie is the best SANFL half back line that I have ever seen in my 50 odd years of watching the SANFL. It was impassable and at the same time attacking.
I would have loved to see the Port defence come up against the West forward line of 1983 (the best attack that I have ever seen).
Remember in 1990 Port had a number of injuries and still won the flag.
by robranisgod
Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why Woodville in 1964

As I am going to watch Modbury play Gaza this weekend in the semis, I was wondering why in 1964, Woodville entered the competition when I thought it seems to make more sense for a team in the north east suburbs.

Was that considered at the time? Would a Modbury team have been more successful than Woodville?

I remember growing up in Holden Hill and playing for Torrens in the mini league which seemed strange to represent a team on the other side of town.

There were a number of reasons given. Woodville was the biggest local council. Woodville had a district cricket side and there was always the rumour that it was to weaken Port.

Remember the other alternative was to keep an 8 team comp, but to replace South Adelaide with Central District. This was defeated by the casting vote of the league president.

Modbury and Tea Tree Gully were still country towns in 1964 but prominent North Adelaide and national football administrator Jack Forrester was a strong proponent of either North moving out that way or another team being placed in that area.

North were probably screwed by Woodville and Central's introduction as much as Torrens. North lost Kilburn to Woodville and area like Pooraka and Para Hills to Central initially and then Port. By the 1970s North had half the population in their area as all of the other clubs.
by robranisgod
Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: McGregor sacked!

Can't be true...........he has no close links to North ?

Might be 150,000 reasons why it might tough.

It's true...

http://safooty.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40884

Does he have to have close links to North?

He played a reserves match for North when he was dropped from the Power. The North hierarchy will claim that as having a close link.
by robranisgod
Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Grand Final - Eagles v West - Sun 27/9/15

25635. No, the stadium is not half full.

Still nearly as many as the WAFL Grand Final crowd (13,094) and the VFL Grand Final crowd (12,900) put together.

Given that it was played between two of the three clubs with the smallest supporter bases (south being the other), I think that the league would be quite pleased with the crowd.

There were enough there to give it an atmosphere.
by robranisgod
Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I will qualify Adam Richardson's 100 goals by saying that yes he did kick 84 in the 2001 minor round, but according to West Adelaide he hit the ton in the finals.

Same with Roger Luders back in 1983. He kicked 94 through the season and hit the 100 in the finals. Davies, Roberts and Dietrich all kicked their ton in the minor round. But, neither Sturt (Davies), Norwood (Roberts) or North (Dietrich) had another player kick over 50 for the season. After the 1983 GF, West had Luders with 105, Lindner with 77 and Mike Smith with 69.
Dietrich actually didn't kick his 100th goal until late in the first quarter of the elimination final. In 1984 he kicked his 100th goal late in the last quarter of the last minor round match. North, of course, didn't make the finals in 1984.

West in 1983 had the most potent forward line I have ever seen. In addition to the three players who kicked over 50 goals there was also Geoff Morris and Peter Meuret doing untold damage up forward. And of course you had Bernie Conlen and Leon Grosser changing in the forward pocket. What a nightmare for opposition defenders.

Normally premiership sides are built around outstanding defences and brilliant midfields. West were, of course, more than useful in those areas, but it was clearly their forwards who did most of the damage. North were a young, up and coming side in those days and managed to kick 18 goals against West at Prospect. Unfortunately West kicked 30 goals that day. Unbelievable.
by robranisgod
Sat May 16, 2015 12:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Grand Final - Eagles v West - Sun 27/9/15

While you are all at it, why not chuck Simsy`s effort in there. :oops: Anyhow back to the topic. Well done Westies on beating the Salary Cheats. :D

I was about 50 metres back towards the southern goals when Sims hit Matthew Simpson. Have to say that when Sims swung his arm the ball was about a metre or more in front of Simpson. No way was he trying to get the ball.

I've heard stories that in the first quarter of the game, Simpson was giving Darel Hart the shits by constantly niggling him. Hart, sick of it allegedly said that if someone didn't get Simpson off his back he'd end up thumping him. Steve Sims stepped up and did just that. It arguably won them the game though because from that point on Westies forgot about playing footy and just wanted to beat the crap out of Sims.

Steve Sims may have finished that GF looking like he'd gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson, but he had the last laugh didn't he. He had a premiership medal.
North were well in control of the game when Sims hit Simpson. Hart had already scored 4 goals on him. If you watch the replay the commentators are very critical of West's discipline from the start of that game. To say they only started fighting from the Sims incident is not correct.

These comments are in no way to defend what Sims did but it is interesting to note Mark Naley's comment at the time that he had wished that he had done the previous week what Sims did in the Grand Final.

Anyway congratulations to Westies on this year's win.
by robranisgod
Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Number of teams winning the flag in a 10 year period

What is Port's longest premiership drought? I'm tipping pre-war. Since then 1966-76 and 2000-15. Either way not long enough. Is the current 'drought' the record for Port (in b4 'No longer the Magpies comments).

regards,

REB
This is Port's longest drought, having not won a flag since 1999.

The previous longest time between flags was 12 years, 1965-77 and I think between 1939 and 1951.

This is also North's biggest drought quite easily. No flag since 1991. Previous longest was 1931-1949 but even then there were the 1943 and 1944 flags with Norwood-North. The other biggest drought for North was 1972-1987.

South of course haven't had a flag since 1964. They had previous droughts from 1899-1935 and 1938-1964.
by robranisgod
Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SA v WA Shield

Did it take Darren Lehmann a couple of seasons to make his first ton?

Darren Lehmann played one game in 1987-88, the full season in 1988-89 and then made his first century against Victoria in Melbourne in December 1989 whilst still a teenager. He went on to make four centuries that season including a double century.
by robranisgod
Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australia v Windies - Test series

WA is the new NSW , surprised they haven't picked Beer out of obscurity over Lyon.

I have always thought of WA as having had a dream run with test selections for 40 years now. W. Edwards, Valetta, Zoehrer, Hogan, Nicholson, Chris Matthews, Jo Angel and perhaps Brendan Julian and Tom Moody were lucky to play as much test cricket as they did. Even Graeme Wood seemed to be selected a lot more times than he deserved. Now we have the Marsh brothers and Coulter-Nile getting tests.

On the other hand I can't think of too many NSW players who haven't deserved selection.
by robranisgod
Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your top 5 cricket books

The best cricket book I have ever read was "Ten for Sixty Six and All that" by Arthur Mailey.

The piece on Mailey bowling to Trumper in a grade game in Sydney is one of the best chapters of any book I have ever read, sport or otherwise.

Mailey took 10 for 66 for Australia against Gloucestershire in 1921. He jokingly said that he could have taken 10 for 36 but it wouldn't have made nearly as good a title for a book.

I am a huge fan of Gideon Haigh but I was very disappointed in "Cricket War" given the rave reviews that it has got over the years from every respected critic. I know that history is written by the victors but Haigh has many factual inaccuracies and he doesn't give any regard to the fact that the young cricketers who went to WSC by and large failed to impact test cricket after the truce, yet the ACB side produced players of the ilk of Border and Hughes as well as very serviceable test cricketers like Wood, Yallop, Hogg, Dymock and Higgs.

Your last point is a good one rig, given the general impression, both from the book and other sources was that the ACB was on it's knees.
Can you enlighten us as to some of the errors in the book? Not doubting you, just that I was young when I read it and it was seminal to me at the time.

Sorry I haven't responded earlier, but I wanted to read the book again before airing my problems with it.

I think the main problem with the book is that given that Haigh turned 50 a couple of days ago he was only 12-13 years of age when World Series Cricket took place and thus didn't have an "adult" view of what happened at the time.

I think the book should have had at least a chapter on why the WSC selectors made so many mistakes with the choosing of the players. Rob Langer, Martin Kent, Trevor Chappell, Ray Bright and Dennis Yagmich for starters weren't a patch on Border, Hughes etc. Also the fact that there were no India players in World Series Cricket certainly rated some consideration.

Haigh's mocking of Phil Ridings was just downright wrong. He makes fun of the fact that Ridings said that the 1978-79 series was much closer than the 5-1 scoreline indicated. Australia certainly should have won the 4th test in Sydney and probably the 5th test in Adelaide. England benefited from some of the worst umpiring I have ever seen in Sydney. One umpire even apologised to Yallop at the end of the third day when he gave Randall not out before he had scored. Randall went on to score 150. Given that Australia led after the first inning by 116, I doubt that England would have recovered from 2 wickets for 0 in the second innings. England went on to win by 95 runs when Australia had to bat on a badly deteriorating wicket. In Adelaide, Australia had England 6 for 132 with all recognised batsmen out in the second innings after leading by a few runs on the first innings. Australia's lack of strong leadership let England slip out of that noose.

There is no mention in the book of how Sydney-Melbourne centric WSC became in the second year. Adelaide would have been bypassed completely if it hadn't been for Des Corcoran pleading Adelaide's case, thus we got one exhibition WSC one day match.

Haigh concentrates on the poor traditional crowds at Melbourne and Sydney but again fails to even consider that Adelaide drew good crowds to the test match despite being a dead rubber, similar in size to the 1970-71 England tour. Sure Adelaide's crowds fell away compared to 1974-75, but 1974-75 saw record crowds with Thomson and Lillee at the peak.

I am not denying that WSC was wonderful for cricketers and that telecasting of cricket improved markedly, I just thought that Haigh took a very blinkered view in his book. I repeat there should have been criticisms of WSC where they were warranted.
by robranisgod
Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Aston Villa demise

Villa have always reminded me as a bigger, more supported version of the old VFL Fitzroy. Until the 1940s, Fitzroy were the most successful VFL club up to that stage, who by the 1960s couldn't win a game, up until the 1950s Villa were the most successful English Football team, who by 1970 had plummeted to the third division.
Does anyone else remember the old corny, schoolboy joke of the late 1960s when Tommy Docherty managed them. The joke went "What do you get when you cross Tommy Docherty with an ice cream". Answer "Aston Vanilla - everyone licks them!". I did say it was corny.
They then had a resurgence but generally have only flirted with success in the decades since.
Given their huge supporter base they should be doing better, but I guess that goes for many of the clubs based around Birmingham
by robranisgod
Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: where are they now? Ex-SANFL players

Cheers mate, thats a great read. What a fascinating bloke. I'd always thought he was a defender, but I must admit whilst I certainly remember him, the finer details Im not sure of. Always struck me as one of those types that wasn't a matchwinner, but never played a bad game.
I never saw him play as a centreman in the late 70s and early 80s (cue robranisgod or leaping lindner), only as a half back.

You're right in that he probably never won a game off his own boot, but read the play spectacularly well and was a 'good driver in heavy traffic'. He was one of those players who always seemed to have a bit more time and his composure in defence was a key ingredient in North's mid-80s resurgence and attacking game style.

1983 was the only year he consistently played centre for North. He started as a half back before becoming a full back in1979. He made his name by keeping Stephen Copping kickless in a game at the Bay. He was of course too small to last at full back for long and reverted to being a half back in the early 1980s. Even though North were ordinary in his early years, they had centremen of the ilk of Barry Stringer, Greg McAdam and Bill Lokan to choose from so it was only when Stringer retired and Lokan went to Fitzroy that Riley went to the centre. The weekend that Riley played for Footscray in 1984, North moved a little known junior, Andrew Jarman to the centre and the rest as they say is history.
In North's Grand Final loss to the Bays in 1985, RIley was clearly North's best player and played a fine game in the 1987 Grand Final.
Barrie Robran rates him in the top 10 players he played with or against. I will find Robran's list it makes interesting reading.
by robranisgod
Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: where are they now? Ex-SANFL players

That's an interesting call, given that he (Robran) played against many champions in State games v Victoria.

Sorry. I am sure he meant in the SANFL.

I am still trying to find the article but I think that Ebert, Marker, Day, Don Lindner, Bagshaw, Davies, Cahill and Head were in the list. I would expect Blight and Cornes to be in there as well. So maybe it was a top 12. I remember the player I thought was a glaring omission was Greg Phillips, but Barrie said that he hardly played against him if at all.

These lists are, of course subjective but when they come from an AFL legend they are very interesting.
by robranisgod
Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Full 2016 SANFL Draw

Bobo Olsen was the most corrupt premier this state has seen, now he might be the most corrupt administrator we have ever had.
by robranisgod
Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why did Michael Nunan leave Sturt?

Reckon Robranisgod could shed some more light on the Nunan question

As far as I can ascertain it was politically motivated. Early in the season, Nunan went on an overseas government funded trip with his ministerial boss. Remember this was the time when most states including ours were setting up sporting academies and Nunan was at the forefront of ours.

When he got back mid season, Jack Oatey is alleged to have said that Nunan would probably spend the rest of the year in the reserves.

One important point to make is that Nunan was of the left politically whereas the vast majority of Sturt were of the right.

Anyway Nunan was either sacked or quit depending on who you talk to.

When Norwood won the Grand Final by a point, Nunan declared that he wished they could have won the game by 1/2 a point just to increase the anguish at Sturt.

Later in life Nunan certainly reconciled with Oatey, but interestingly he wasn't named as rover in a team selected by Oatey as the best players he coached at Sturt.
by robranisgod
Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sheffield Shield Season 2015/2016

Maxwell has plenty of critics, but the guy still averages over 40. Did a "top 10" of the guys I felt were in and around the mark for a call up as batsmen. Only Chris Lynn had a better first class average and I definitely feel like Maxwell's best is well in front of him. Seems to be scratching away today and batting a bit more normally. If he just plays the ball on its merits instead of trying to read the bowler I can see him being well and truly test class. Definitely would prefer him in whites to S. Marsh.
Maxwell averages 40 hiding himself in the middle order at Shield level, would average under 10 if he batted in the top 3. Shaun Marsh has at least proven himself as a top order batter at Shield level
Marsh averages 39 at first class level and for most of his career he has batted in the middle order.

Very lucky to have played as much test cricket as he has.
by robranisgod
Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The good and the bad

Yep I missed the Eve part too .. Norwood and Port still pull* a reliably decent crowd, so the timeslot might be better filled with two other teams? 3rd v 4th from the previous season maybe? Again then, a significant timeslot gets shared around

In 1965, 66, 67, 68 and 1970, 3rd and 4th from the previous season did play at Adelaide Oval on the June long weekend holiday. I don't know about before that time and I don't think it happened afterwards. I was in my formative years so growing up I thought it was a tradition similar to the Anzac Day previous season's premiers vs runners up.

I am all for this sort of tradition, rather than the AFL idea of certain clubs getting those holiday fixtures. I thought it disgraceful in the mid 80s when the SANFL stopped rostering the previous year's grand finalists on Anzac Day.
by robranisgod
Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R5: West v Eagles - Monday 25 April @ Adelaide Oval

I can't remember the attendances on ANZAC day for the past few years, but should make interesting reading, in particular Central v Norwood a few years back and Norwood v Port, not so long ago.

The following are the Anzac Day crowds for the years 2011-2015

2011 Central District vs Norwood - Adelaide Oval 6,358
2012 Woodville West Torrens vs Central District - Woodville Oval 4,054
2013 Norwood vs West Adelaide - Norwood Oval 6,038
2014 Norwood vs North Adelaide - Adelaide Oval 10,014
2015 Port Adelaide vs Norwood - Adelaide Oval 5,526

NB The Port vs Norwood game was played at 7:10 p.m. on Friday, April 24th

I don't have the crowd for this year, but I believe that the two Grand Finalists have earned the right to play at Adelaide Oval on Anzac Day.

One of the biggest mistakes I think the league made was when they took that right away from the two Grand Finalists in 1986 and played Port and Norwood instead. It took about 8 or 9 years to get the tradition back. How can clubs with lesser supporter bases develop support if they aren't given the premium dates if they have earned them.
by robranisgod
Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R7: North v Adelaide - Sunday 8 May @ Prospect Oval

Can't we just focus on North losing? I like it when that happens.

I've said it before. You must be M Rucci. Scarred for life by 1971 and 1972.

And don't come this caper that you are not old enough. You have to be to be that bitter about North.

Surely any sane Port supporter would prefer them to a manufactured team like the Crows.

Born in '75 mate. Just enjoy a good North loss. :lol:

Nup. Born 1963. I looked your age up on the Internet, Michelangelo.
by robranisgod
Sun May 08, 2016 10:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R11 - Glenelg v North @ Glenelg

Panther Pack wrote:Alleway to say a big hello to his former club, kick a bag and lead the tigers to a win I reckon.

Still never understood why the roosters didnt get Alleway back!!!

That was simply coach McGregor's decision. Seemed strange then. Still seems strange.
by robranisgod
Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

And in 2013 the SANFL did everything they possibly could to bring crowds down that year. An example that comes to mind is that the biggest Saturday crowd in 2012 was North vs Norwood at Prospect. Over 4,000 people attended a televised game.

So what did the league do in 2013? They scheduled North vs Norwood at Prospect as the televised game again but played it in direct competition with the Crows playing at Footy Park! They then had the audacity to claim that interest in the competition was waning and needed the AFL reserves to boost interest. The year was riddled with such programming.
by robranisgod
Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R16 - Port v WWT Eagles @ Alberton

Actually, I wonder what the all time best overweight side would look like? And what criteria would we use to choose it? E.g. Rick Davies was slim as a younger fella, but put the kilos on toward the end of his career. Would he be deserving of a Guernsey in the all time greatest fat blokes team?
Old Grenville would be a shoe in at full forward. Never seen so many kilos get so high off the ground. I think we'd stick Craig Balme at full back, he was well padded from memory
Back in the day Dennis Sachse was a big fella (from what I'm told and the pics I've seen), would be up for a spot.

Damien Cupido is a more recent candidate.

Probably this post should be in the History section but a few observations.

Big Dennis actually wasn't that big in the stomach area. He was huge in the backside and thighs and would certainly make an overweight side. He was a magnificent mark. Garry Jones from Central was a bit similar.

From the 1960s two Magarey Medallists in a row, Ron Kneebone and Bubbles Obst were shall we say "barrel chested". They were both very strong men and great footballers but would not pass today's skin fold tests. In the mid 1960s Dick Jackson from South and Reggie Beaufoy from Port had a few great clashes which unkind supporters used to refer to as the "battle of the elephants". They both could really play and both sadly left us whilst still quite young.

Peter Darley certainly carried weight later in his career as did the "pocket battleship", Barrie Barbary.

I think "Blossom" Blagrove from Port's golden era in the 1950s was another player who would have been in strife with skin folds but I only have very vague memories of him. I hope that I am not being libellous towards him.

Wilbur Wilson would never have passed a skin fold test either and Kerry "Bomber" Hamilton was inclined to easily put on weight.

Later in their careers the Jarman brothers certainly carried weight. It didn't affect their performance too much.
by robranisgod
Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I was able to read the article and then vote by simply googling "Let Grudges Go" and then accessing the article that way.
by robranisgod
Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Finals - Week 3 LIVE Scores

I haven't followed him that closey in the last year or so- Jay Shannon 26 touches today obviously played well, I see that he has played 9 reserves games this season. Why wasn't he a regular in the league side this season? Coming back from injury? Not playing that well/out of form?
Got suspended for a week and didn't get his spot back in the league side. Given he played most of the season back in the 2's he must have been close to being dropped anyway.
Ahk cheers Heater. That's disappointing especially after he made such a great transition to North from Port a few years back.

He missed much of 2015 with a leg injury and he never seemed 100% fit when he was playing seniors earlier this year. His kicking in particular seemed not up to standard. Also Jordie McKenzie and Tom Schwarz have come into the side and play a similar role to Jay. Having said that if he can regain full fitness he still certainly has something to offer North.
by robranisgod
Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Player movement 2017

Only 6 South Aussies selected.
Congratulations to them all.
Is that record low?
I think in the 2001 draft only 2 SA players were drafted. It was the year that Mark Jamar was expected to be drafted and only ended up being rookie listed. The two players drafted I think both came from the Eagles.
Yes both from the Eagles. Jarrad Wright to the Brisbane Lions at pick 35 and Brian Lake to the Western Bulldogs at pick 71. I've never heard of the first bloke but Lake had a great career.
I think Jared Poulton fro the magpies was there as well.
I should have worded my response more carefully, In 2001 there were only 2 players drafted from the SANFL. Jared Poulton had been on Port's AFL list since 1999, He was delisted by them in 2001 and then immediately drafted again.
by robranisgod
Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

At least the ABC have covered all of the finals. That puts them in front of 5AA and MMM.

What a shame they are not covering it on TV as well.
by robranisgod
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Interesting that the free kick rule in place for out of bounds against last team kicking - refer video 2.45 min.

That free was from a kick in from the full back after a point had been scored. It has always been a free to the opposition in that circumstance if the ball goes out of bounds without it being touched.
by robranisgod
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vale.Ray Hank and John Mehaffey

Ray Hank was a very good player in his own right. As well as playing 169 games for Torrens he represented South Australia on 5 occasions. He kicked the vital final goal for West Torrens when they won their fourth and last Premiership by defeating Port Adelaide by 7 points in 1953.

John Mehaffey was a fine player for Torrens who played 89 league games and 4 state games.

He was also a good enough tennis player to play in four Australian Championships, the forerunner of the Australian Open. His best result was to finish in the Round of 16 in 1950 when he was defeated by Mervyn Rose. In other years he lost to Frank Sedgman and John Bromwich in the Round of 32 . Tennis fans would know the standard of player he played against.

John Mehaffey was also state table tennis champion. For many years he ran a Sports store in the city and also was a football commentator on the ABC.
by robranisgod
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: women wearing the baggy green

Is this a serious thread or is stamps trolling?

The play test cricket for Australia, of course they can wear it.

deffo serious question, there has only been 400 odd men to wear it since 1877 and i thought the women should forge their own identity, going by the poll i am in the minority ;)
I am not sure if your 400 men wearing the baggy green is correct. Did Australian players wear it from 1877 onwards? I thought it only came into fashion about the turn of the 20th century.

The other fact that most younger people don't realise is that every player who toured for Australia wore a baggy green cap. Players as recent as Wayne Holdsworth who went on an Ashes tour but never played a test wore a baggy green cap. Even more surprising to younger people is that the Australian second team that used to tour New Zealand whilst the test side was in South Africa used to wear baggy greens. K.G. Cunningham, as an example, definitely had a baggy green for his tour of New Zealand in 1967 as did Allan Frost from Kensington. KG often used to mention on his radio show that he had one.

I guess what I am saying is that it has not always been as sacrosanct as it is now.
by robranisgod
Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |