Search found 21 matches

Return

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

It could also depend on the cardinal direction of the BOS oval. :D 26 / 208 = North South Oval.

Therefore BOS win. :D

Is it measured from Geodetic North, Magnetic North or Grid North? Since we're using Google maps and their projection is based off Spherical Mercator, Grid North should suffice.

If this posts gets 5 likes I will regale everyone with a riveting tale behind Google's web mapping projection and how they told some Geodetic propellerheads to get stuffed... :D
by morell
Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Player records

if HQ was to allow YOU into their records room, then they would have to let 99 other historians in with the same ideas into their records as well

that would be difficult to monitor, and HQ would riskthe loss of records due historians pocketing a few little goodies here n there on their way out, and jeopardize the data itself

youll get nothin from HQ champ

You're full o crap.

Can I actually go in and count my own games do you know? I'm moving in to 350 games over three clubs and am keen to know when this actually would be - purely for personal interest - my rough calls has me at 346ish but I'll drink a couple more beers in my shed if I knew the actual game I got there on
by TEX07
Mon May 04, 2015 10:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Player records

Went on saafl site for the first time in ages and looks like they have uploaded every game played for each club from 2005 - 2011. Dont know if going back any further but good to see something.
by beef
Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9AFL Division 7 - 2017

Anyone that thinks the Para Hills connection didn't make a significant impact on Mitchell Park last year are kidding themselves..

But, that still doesn't and won't affect the 2017 gradings.. I see Morell's point, and it is a valid one. But at the end of the day, although statistics will suggest otherwise, Morgan is a girls name
by human_torpedo
Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 7 - 2018

Anyway, this recent conversation has hit on a theme and a post I’ve been thinking about for a while. It's a long one, but I don't care.

What happened to our culture of truly local, representative, grass roots, amateur football? I feel like its snuck up on us, this new toxicity of player payments, mass recruitment, coaching roundabouts and ruthless playing groups. When I first started playing I was in awe of Trevor Bennetts, Joe Leck, Bernie Kusterman, Phil Pike and Ian Colquhoun - all Mitchell Park legends who had been there for many years, including through the juniors. Seriously tough men, fiercely loyal types who other than earning a BoG would have never even dreamt of taking payment for playing. For them the Club was an entity to be respected, it came first and the privilege of playing senior football, even at a lower level, was seen as exactly that – a privilege. Wal and Joe in particular taught me a lot, and for that, a young introverted nerd more used to bricking threes and talking trash than shanking drop punts, their introduction to the inner sanctum of a football club shaped many of my ideals – inside of that world and out.

One would get the feeling the Club was an escape for those guys, a place to talk about tits and cars, to confess their woes and maybe even look for support, to relax and unwind with no social pressure or pretentiousness. The Front Bar at Mitchell Park certainly provided all of that, but even then, there was still a Club first attitude, they’d wash the dishes, help the canteen staff, fill water bottles, sell raffle tickets, help out with admin – whatever it was, they would always do whatever they could to help out the Football Club. As they knew that The Club provided them with so muc more. And that is precisely the right word. *Club*. To use an Americanism - a fraternity.

I fell in love with it. Mitchell Park soon turned into my happy place too. My Church. I would go there all the time, often by myself just to walk around and clear my head sometimes to celebrate or commiserate or simply to catch up. It was so incredibly important to me as a young fella to have a place to garner an instant feel of comradery and acceptance. In that regard it was so different to basketball and rugby, my childhood sports, where it was more like a high society bitch fest than sporting coterie. It didn’t matter if you were a bogan or a hipster – acceptance was for all, provided you put the Club first. Cross that Club, and sure enough street justice was known to have been handed out on occasion. In a really strange way it was like a fully legal, crime free (sort of) drug free (sort of) motor cycle gang.

Now? In its 50th Anniversary year, it is very close to death. Down from a full suite of junior teams to one and a half. From having powerful senior sides across 3 grades in the strong SAFA to lucky to be filling one in Division 7. Yeah, we’ve pulled some strings every now and then and won a flag or two along the way, but none of the above is true of the Club anymore. There are a few hanging on, but we all know of the likely impending doom that awaits.

I really like what Down the Hill wrote. It is rather sad how clubs are forced to survive these days when they were originally established to provide a recreational outlet with organised competition for their local communities. It’s a precise observation and one that rings painfully true. We’re structured from the bottom to the top that way. Despite the cries of the ignorant, there really isn’t much we can do. Smart people all sitting around the table all trying their hardest for hours on end – but constantly hitting road blocks. Be it business wise with limited options for revenue thanks to outdated management models, be it due the shifting populations and demands, be it the club reputation that despite all contrary evidence, still hangs like bad smell. We’re check mated.

Perhaps one of the most galling things, however, is this latest offseason where last year’s promising group of players, coaches and administrators have abandoned us like rats down a sewerage crusted outlet pipe. I recall the season Luke McDonnell wanted to try playing for Happy Valley. He was physically emotional and struggled to confront the playing group. We understood and wished him all the best. He returned two years later and won a GF. These days? One of our better players who smashed our highest paid player record last year by a long way – took us for every last cent and then still asked for more when the Club was on the skins of its arse. Another player, who I love dearly, left because he felt he deserved to be playing A’s but got dropped a couple of times - the Club owed him, apparently. A young star and Premiership player, son of a gun and much loved member of our club off to a nearby rival, I assume because it looked like it might be a struggle with us. Our coach who promised cultural change and 3 years of effort left half way through his contract for promises and thin air after realising that it wasn’t going to be easy and instant success might not be on the cards. Our President, who made awful decision after awful decision, also left, without so much as even having the guts to rock up to our AGM to hand over the keys. Countless more who for a bit more petrol money have decided to knife the institution that would provide them with much more valuable things than cash, should they merely give it the chance. Then we have clubs like Adelaide Lutheran, smelling a fresh carcass like a circling vulture, messaging players on Social Media from our list in an attempt to poach them.

Poisonous stuff, that’s for sure. As most on here would know I am hyper analytical. I have a yearning to understand why. Are we at fault? Sometimes, but I don’t think that’s the answer. To me we’re experiencing the consequences of a far more macro movement. One of individualism, narcissism and a generation of people that put image first. For a Club like ours that is about the group, humility and substance, this is decidedly out of step. Examples of this can be found all over the place – the best players in Sporting Pulse? Caused huge issues amongst our playing group. Complaints about not making it or being 4th instead of 2nd, absolutely ridiculous stuff, I tried to explain, but it was important to them. Payments? Heck, even average footballers deserve it as they are putting their body on the line, so the club ought to look after them. Forget earning it through awards. They were entitled to it for merely rocking up. Doing a chore for the club? No chance, they do enough of that at home, football is a place to escape nagging, god damnit! But easily the biggest indicator is what happens when it looks like we might not win much. It is unbelievable how quickly people pike out. The modern amateur footballer is a jellyfish, if it’s not going to be “fun” and by fun, of course we mean winning, then they want no part of it. Countless players have said exactly that. They haven’t left, per se, they just don’t want to play because it will be too hard.

So at 35 with dodgy knees, crippled hands and countless surgeries on other broken bones, I came to the realisation at full forward on Saturday that I’m now out of touch with the modern game. It’s no longer about the Club or the comradery, it’s about the person looking back from the mirror. I hope we hold on, but we’re on the precipice.

Are we good? Are we any bloody good? Well, we sure used to be.
by morell
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South v Adelaide Sunday 1410

DOC wrote:Who is it Dutchy?

Not sure, think I saw Reynella 13's are playing, we played before them last year, was good to experience the oval a few weeks before the GF
by Dutchy
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 14 - Can't we all play together?

Started watching Hawks Gold Coast game but Dunstalls negative 'what he should've done' commentary drove me mad so I

took radio outside to do gardening & listen to the game & Daisy everywhere is on FFS - I cant win so going back inside to watch SANFL!
by Yangebup
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Question everything.

Agreed.

I would have thought though that on what is largely a scientific issue, the best means by which to reach an understanding of reality would be to consider the consensus amongst virologists, epidemiologists etc.

And that those who lack scientific credentials would attract the most scrutiny.

By all means read 'alternative' websites and non-'mainstream' media'. Some conspiracy theories have turned out to be more or less correct. Skepticism is healthy.

But where somebody makes a claim that the vast majority of experts on a matter are wrong, the first thing I would 'question' is whether there is any evidence for such a claim.

The question is: have any of the websites you've browsed provided any evidence that this is all a hoax?

The other thing about conspiracy theories: the more people and organisations said to be involved, the harder it would be to pull it off and thus the more implausible.

The Moon Landing hoax theory is a great example. It's often noted that given the sheer number of scientists, technicians, officials, clerks, servicemen, broadcasters, politicians, and different agencies across the world that would have to be complicit in such a conspiracy, with absolutely no leaks, it was actually easier to get to the moon than it would have been to stage it in a studio.

With the coronavirus, a staggeringly enormous number of officials, doctors, nurses, politicians, journalists, public servants, you name it would have to be involved. With not one single leak to reveal what's going on.

I mean how many people do you think are involved with this?

Yes, questioning everything is the way to go.

How do we question everything? We start by looking at the evidence.

Ah but with Corona its easy, its all about stats and fear. There is plenty of doctors and nurses out there that have said the amount of deaths is no where near what the media is projecting. Death certificates have been changed to reflect Covid19 as the cause of death. These claims are dismissed by the general population as not coming from MSM and therefore are not true.
If this site is an example of the rest of the population then 95% swallows what is fed to them by MSM. Anything contrary to popular belief is dismissed by the average joe blo on behalf of the so called experts and the "cover up" is done for them.
Now i dont profess to know why and who benefits from this. Safe to say there is some individuals are governments getting rich real quick and lots of countries being brought to their knees. Money is the root of all evil. Governments want control.
I dont think for a minute our government has been complicit in it nor most of the governments in the world. Some may take advantage of it though.

I think in general we have been far too conservative in our approach to getting back our lives. We live on an island, if we had of shut the international flights earlier we potentially couldve escaped unscathed.

On a side note im told it is unconstitutional to make anyone have a vaccine. Im no antivaxer, ive had the flu shot once and never had flu related illnesses as bad as i did that year. I will not be having it again nor any carona flu shot.

I do not know the answers that's why I question things.

We have been told by the scientists over the years that INFLUENZA/VIRUSES are always mutating.

Some articles I have seen states that it is has mutated a least three times already as mentioned by another poster on here .

Possibly next year we will be battling another mutated form of this virus.

So this holy grail CORONA VACCINE if it ever does get manufactured and tested will it work next year or does the battle start all over again ????????
by Apachebulldog
Sun May 17, 2020 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Apachebulldog wrote:Which means 97% fully recover

Or have on going respiratory issues, post viral fatigue, pulmonary issues. Not much.
by Booney
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 Adel Footy League - Division 7

The morphie parks new rooms have 2 big rooms but you can partition into 4 if required. Suspect that's we'll do as well if the need arises.
This statement not quite accurate.
We have 4 full size change rooms each with 4 showers and 3 toilets. Two of the four also have two ice baths.
Changerooms 1 and 2 can be combined by opening a roller door, as can 3 and 4.
The whole build was done as unisex.
Fair to say 1 change room and amenities is bigger than our old change room set up combined.
Very happy with the current set up - got great bang for the buck.

Hoping all the clubs end up with builds like ours.
Except hopefully all the other clubs have enough money leftover for a home interchange bench..
by S Demon
Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Daily Golf - Where you are playing and how you go

Played at TTG today...

Started on the back 9, struggled at the start but had a solid end to the 9.

Started the front 9 with a bang, Par, Par, Birdie and finished off with 37 points.

Was freaking brutal out there...

The Birdie on the 3rd was a beautiful 5 iron to about half a foot.

Apart from the heat, was a good day

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230113/c266a2c62074b7eb297ae5c61763f798.jpg
by Jase
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Golf in general

Was in there for the hole in one, atmosphere was amazing.

Whole setup of the event was brilliant, course looked incredible and shows SA can put on events when we want to.

Only way LIV survives is if they go to high level golf starved countries like aus, Japan, south Korea to get that atmosphere. Playing in the US in front of 20 people won't get them anywhere.

South Africa and New Zealand must also be on the radar.
Have a Southern hemisphere/Asian loop

I watched 1st 3 groups and then fried myself out by the 18th green
by mighty_tiger_79
Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2023

MW wrote:Club has admitted fault, AFL clearly think they are at fault as does the wider football community... hold up must be the negotiation of the penalty and/or the fall guy. Davies or the doctor?

Is the outcome of this, what is also holding up the release of the Review?
by mots02
Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

38 points at Glenelg Friday.

Actually played well in pretty tough conditions.

Won closet to pin on 14, but more importantly left blind drunk from the windmill hotel.

Only just now feeling normal again.
by carey
Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ASCA

Again, they should have grown a pair and made Morphies or Havens come up. To let Sutton Derby in is a joke. I hope the Exec did their due diligence. In addition to this, they should stipulate that premiership points will be docked from WYC’s Sec 3 side if they name any of their Sec 1 players from last year who are “not playing anymore”.
WYC should have been told to stay in section 1. If they had a bad season, then they are relegated. If the story is true about recruiting players from Fitzroy, then they really haven't lost much at all. If they lost a whole team, then how have they managed to still nominate 3 teams?

The placement of some teams in section's is absolutely ridiculous, and there will be some humongous thrashing this season, which will lead to forfeited games or teams pulling out.
by Moe
Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I visited Billabong Oval today as I was in the area. There’s parking a 100m walk away and toilets at the ground too. It’s quite picturesque. The ground is a bit weirdly shaped and the pitch isnt exactly in good nick but I have no issues playing there. However the fact that they just let a successful club like WYC go down two sections and put a completely unknown team in based on exaggerated truths, is a shambles.
by storyoftheyear
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sutton and wyc put in section 3 is pretty embarrassing for the comp
by woodublieve12
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Played against Flagstaff yesterday, they were saying they only have sixteen players. They have now pulled there B grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the clarification. I actually heard the same today from a board meeting of the association.

Now that's sorted, I'll concentrate on the WYC bashing.

It won't be long until I'm banned from their fb page, but they are certainly taking the p!55 with the association.

I am barracking for any other team in section 3.

This is a bigger farce than putting SD in section 1.

I used to respect this club.

Joke
by Moe
Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Booney wrote:Image

Are tank drivers permitted to wear jeans, sneakers and a guernsey?
by mots02
Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Barnbougle, what an incredible place, if you ever have a chance just go, just taking away the golf for a bit and you feel like you are miles away from the real world, which we all need at times.

We lobbed Tuesday arvo and headed out to play Bougle Run, the 14 hole short course, got the the first to find 20 guys from Sydney crowded around the small 1st tee waiting to go after us. I was rushed and proceeded to chunk the tee shot 20m :oops: had a horrid 1st and 2nd hole but then hit my tee shot to 4 inches on the 3rd for a tap in birdie to settle the nerves, ended up 13 over for 28 points with 3 triples on the card, but 2 birdies - this is the story of the place, you can score if you keep straight, or end up with a big number of you don't, there isn't much inbetween. Bougle is great fun, most holes are 80-100m but very demanding.

Wednesday we hit Barnbougle Dunes, which I had played before, started par, bogey, par and then decided to try and drive the green on the 4th, nearly made it but still fell short, then stuffed my wedges up and walked off with a 9. From there the front 9 went all down hill, with the only highlight hitting the green on the signature 7th and making par, out for 58 and 12 points. Things didnt get any better on the 10th and walked off with a 9, but then I found some form with only one more scrub for the day. Highlight was again trying to drive the green on 12 and landing 1 metre off, got up and down for a birdie. 47 & 16 points gave me 28 points for the day, 5 behind the lead.

Thursday we tee'd off at Lost Farm at 8am, ready for 34 holes of golf in front of us. Lost farm is a little less challenging that the Dunes, flatter and much bigger fairways, best comparison is Lady Bay here in SA. I had a great day with the driver, hitting 12 of 14 fairways (other 2 were lost balls) with the irons and putting very consistent. Front 9 of 44 and 21 points followed by 58 and 18 points (11 holes) on the back, take away the 2 extra holes I had 93 off the stick for 36 points. Rapt that I played well and ended up winning the 8 man comp by 1 point to take the cash.

We had an hour break and then went and played ambrose on Bougle Run to finish the trip, which our team won. Quick change and then beers, bets, footy at the Sports Bar finished off an awesome trip. 66 holes in total is just over 2 days, special place.

14 balls lost for the trip, you go off the fairway and 1st cut of rough, ball is lost 90% of the time. One of the blokes on our trip lost his first ball on the 66th hole, hit it perfectly at the flagstick but took too much club and into the maram, fair effort though!
by Dutchy
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Went out to play a quick 9 today as I wasn't happy how I hit them yesterday.

Course was bloody busy! I Get to the first tee 3 blokes waiting for a forth to pay, Hey Dutch you can go through if you like? No idea who it was, it turns out I use to play footy with him I reluctantly accept to go as I hadn’t had a swing in the practice net before going off which I like doing, any way I get up on the tee only to see the green keeper up next to the green I’m thinking F**k me what’s going on.

Anyway with a fair few eyes on me, 5iron pin 165m meters bounced 6ft short, then a second bounce bang hits the pin and drops my second ever hole in hole!

Swaggered off the tee like Mick Jagger just giving out high 5’s

Get up to the green and the super says ‘Nice ball’ No shit mate it’s in the hole! Lol :D
by carey
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |