Ramblers
Meningie/Tailem

Have mypo changed comps?
by biffboy
Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Central Division

Motlops Daniel and Marlon at Ironbank this year :)

Thought Ironbank wern't spending any $ this year?

Maybe 1200+ each per game plus a sign on isn't big money at the Thunderers?
According to these boys they only have to train once a week as well so it's a bloody good wicket they're on! Well done to Ironbank, going where at least one other hills club refused to go...

Classic Champ... didn't you have a go at getting Motlop, Pickett and finally secured Ware? Good players and Ware managed a premiership before he ca$hed out and ran. :oops:
by WingerFC
Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes - it does everyone's head in as HFL is not SAAFL and has nowhere near the number of sides participating.

Too many problems with it IMO.

Get rid of it - see who wants to play in what division - then set it in place for 3 years.

Once the senior footy is organised and settled - then base the juniors around it.

In that case Legs man it should be 3 divisions not 2
by Tanka
Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think you are all forgetting there is a more than fair possibility that the entire structure of the League will change once the review is completed. The current state of Country Division is not sustainable and must be fixed, and I am confident a solution will be put forward for all clubs to consider and vote on to ensure the future of our competition as a whole.

Surely a strong Division 1 and Division 2 is the key and this is achievable if clubs look at the big picture and not just their situation.
by RAMS
Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I really think all the talk of relegation is moot as there will be a change to the structure of the comp. Which one though?

12 team comp is the death knell for Country
Leaving as is creates major opposition for the team being relegated and doesn't fix Div 2.
2 x 8 team comps - have to field all teams on a Saturday makes most sense. With automatic relegation/promotion.
As the 2nd Div teams field all sides, it will be a good even comp that clubs will not be against going down too.

Divs might start off like this -
Div 1 - Lobethal, Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Ironbank, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Blackwood
Div 2 - TV, Echunga, Lofty, Meadows, Nairne, Kangarilla, Kersbrook, Birdwood/Gumeracha
by Mop Up
Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The points system is silly. How a side like Uraidla can win the flag and then go out a recruit Tim Delvins and Luke Ivens just makes the whole thing pointless.
Should be:
1st = 7
2nd=8
3rd = 9
4th = 9
5th = 10
6th = 10
7th = 11
8th = 11
9th = 12
10th = 12

This would also help the SANFL's issue with losing all there players. If SANFL players are worth 4 points it makes it harder to just pillage league sides when your sitting 8th after round 11.
Example - If Aish wants to leave Echunga next year it should cost another club 4 points for him as he played SANFL in 2014

Point system works fine. Uraidla have managed to get those two players this season as they have managed to keep their previous recruits for a minimum of 5 years (some 10+ years). Other clubs should be looking to do the same and recruit quality clubmen and not just blokes looking for the best cash they can find.
by Peakedinhighschool
Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I really think all the talk of relegation is moot as there will be a change to the structure of the comp. Which one though?

12 team comp is the death knell for Country
Leaving as is creates major opposition for the team being relegated and doesn't fix Div 2.
2 x 8 team comps - have to field all teams on a Saturday makes most sense. With automatic relegation/promotion.
As the 2nd Div teams field all sides, it will be a good even comp that clubs will not be against going down too.

Divs might start off like this -
Div 1 - Lobethal, Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Ironbank, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Blackwood
Div 2 - TV, Echunga, Lofty, Meadows, Nairne, Kangarilla, Kersbrook, Birdwood/Gumeracha

Congrats "mop up", someone looking at the big picture. This is definitely the best option for all club. Add a division 3 for clubs that can't field all required teams, have additional juniors and for the c grade and you cater for everyone.
by RAMS
Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"But hey...who would have thought...the club has the lowest $$$ spend on players in the league has had a long period of poor results. Surely even you can see the direct correlation?"

Surely you are having a lend here Elmer....
I know for a fact in 2011-12-13 you blokes were spending plenty.
Luke McLean, Matt Fosdike, Brad Devries, Ben Eckermann, Stuart Bown...... Could keep going mate. Those 5 alone were on 700+ and that's straight from their own mouths.

Rob Prime has done a great job with the club and it is in the right direction, especially with some senior colts success.
by chopper7
Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Come on you guys agree with has been this relegation crap is really boring. He is right there will be 11 teams in central next year so lets stop all this tripe and talk finals footy. Can Echunga beat Lobey now the fine weather is back. Uris surely are 6-7 goals better. than both of those teams. They are so good and well coached

No way will there be an 11 team Central Division next season. That will only further damage the Country Division.

Learn from the SFL. You guys are in a similar situation as we were in the late 90s. DO NOT let Division 2 fail, the focus needs to be on making the second division stronger. We allowed the second division to dwindle away, but that was fine because the Division 1 clubs were ok - it ended up becoming our problem.

This is what we need to all be listening to!! Not a short term quick fix plan for the betterment of one division at the loss of the other.
by Tanka
Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The article in the Budget should immediately preclude the author from any decision making with respect to relegation - full stop!
Echunga gained another 10 points yesterday so is now well off the bottom of the points table.
Common sense must now prevail and possible sanctions put in place to ensure this type of fiasco can not rear it's ugly head again.
Surely this is an opportunity for the truly responsible members of the HFL board to come to the fore and show some real direction for both Central and Country divisions.
They have the chance to make intelligent change moving forward - so let's hope they grasp it and not blow it - again!
As a member of the local footy community I was embarrassed to see the comments made in the Budget as I would hope the HFL is also.
The game yesterday was an absolute ripper and something the HFL should be proud of - not embarrassed by.

Legs Man

Your posts over the past 2-3 months have clearly showed your unbridled passion for your club - well done. Sometimes they have made me smile and sometimes they have me shaking my head. But, I'm worried that your fixation on the HFL Board and promotion/relegation issue has become so consuming that it's now overriding the enjoyment you should be feeling over the achievement of your A grade team.

My advice is to just enjoy the week and support your boys.

Then, once it's over, let the relegation issue play itself out after Clubs receive the findings of the HFL Review Panel. You may have nothing to worry about. To keep sniping at the HFL Board, the Final Siren editor, or to cling to the forlorn hope that finals matches count in the points race just has you coming across as a little bit manic.

The efforts of the Echunga A grade team has been tremendous and have taken everyone by surprise. Good luck in the Grand Final, I'd love to see you beat the cabbage-cutters.
by Elmer J Thudpucker
Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: River Murray Football League talk

Fidgey the greatest of them all run out of ammo for bagging opposition players midway through the year ... Too many soft players against a team full of desperate and hard "locals" haha

I thought Grasshopper would have claimed his reward but he must still be partying pretty hard!

I thought I'd better get a couple of hours sleep before I posted haha. Yes what an amazing win it was Saturday and to be able to bury them in the end was ever so pleasing. Yes the roosters have some good blokes in there team, but there coaching panel is a joke. And as many others on here have said before. Does any substance ever come out of fidges mouth? Or is it just bagging and abuse to opposition players. He clearly had one game plan though as Fentons head was nearly removed several times throughout the day, but no one even did that properly, he still amassed 44 possies and winning the way we did, when there's a coach carrying on the way he does. Gee it's sweet. And our boys thrive on it, if he couldn't pick that up.

This premiership is so significant to so many people, and something the whole club has been hungry for, for a long time now. No doubt recruiting the right players in this year has been a massive part of this. But a team full of best mates on and off the field goes a bloody long way.

I thought Jervois hosted the GF very well. Huge crowd, good food, cold beer and we had a massive support base present.

Meningie Bears Premiers 2014
by grasshopper22
Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Legs Man wrote:Would be a pretty hollow victory not playing against the best in the competition for Central clubs.

Lofty could argue that also this year, they took their medicine as a club in 2014 and will no doubt be stronger going back up in 2015, maybe Echunga should do the same?
by Dutchy
Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think the points are a bit unfair on Tailem & Jervois this year, I reckon Tailem should have a couple more & Jervois maybe +1, I would almost go as far as to say we should have only 6 & Imps 7 but don't tell anyone I said that

Also Grassy, to say you have all these loyal recruits is surely a joke! You have had more players thru that club over the last 4 years than I have had home cooked meals. Just cos you have had a couple in the last a few seasons & now these 3 coming back does not mean you have a great culture. Sure its improving, but when the cash dries up then see how many of them hang around for some petrol money and a few beer vouchers.

And yes, Fidge is a loud mouth which he needs to curb but his assistant isn't a whole lot better BUT the bloke can coach. Remember that most people predicted we would finish outside the top 3 with the players we lost from last year & we made it to the final hurdle. Sure we got pumped, but it was by a team that was as good as any that I have watched in years

Obviously not including the players that came through in the motlop experiment, only 1 still remaining who came with Moore anyway and that was stone. He will now be staying for his 3rd season, along with Brunoli, Arbon, Benbow, Rossi. These blokes could have quiet easily left when the times where tough but no they stuck it out and worked harder, and have now been rewarded after 5 yrs for that loyalty.

Keep chewing on them sour grapes and looking for excuses Biff. Heard your presentation night was full of surprises, firstly Liam winning and secondly your coach and others still bagging opposition teams, oh hang on that's not surprising at all is it.
by grasshopper22
Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Legs - I'm guessing the Clubs voted against the motion in the best interest of the League. It would've clearly advantaged the powerhouse Junior Clubs such as Hahndorf and Blackwood who year in year out could notch up an 4-8 extra wins from their U15's and U17's finals campaigns. Similarly it can reward teams like yourself who came from the Elimination Final giving you the opportunity for 4 extra wins. Your motion would've suited you this year, but think about the future. Take this for an example - Say Echunga and TV are 9th and 10th respectively on the P&R ladder with only 2pts separating you at the end of the minor round, let's say Echunga finish top in the A Grade and go onto win the flag again (gaining 2 finals wins). Torrens Valley come from 5th and make the grand final, therefore notching up 3 finals wins along the way and overtake you, would that mean Echunga takes the League to court again?

I agree it's a sad set of circumstances and I believe you have a place in Central but not this way. I also believe Bridgey have earned a right to compete in Central.
by Yellow & Black
Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey Cracka - whose side are you on - I thought you were the voice of reason?

Surely, you of all people understand the importance and ramifications surrounding this situation.

We don't want a league that is viewed as psychotic.
I'm on Echungas side when it comes to who deserves to be in Central div. I just know that there are non forum users out there, some who actually had a say in deciding Echungas fate, that have said to me you've done more harm than good. HFL board members do read this forum as well.

It is truly unfortunate if the decisions made by others is influenced by my opinion and comments as I have tried to maintain an even minded - albeit passionate view on happenings surrounding the Echunga football club.

When commenting on HFL governance of the competition I have conveyed what I deem as an uneven playing field presented to Echunga due to actions undertaken by the league with respect to points allocation to TV.

The stripping of a much deserved final from Echunga given to Mt Barker with no apparent argument to back up this decision only compounded and reinforced the view I have.

I am fully aware that my opinion may not align with that held by other parties but this should not be an excuse to make what I view as bad decisions.

Surely the decision makers from all parties are grown ups that have a mind of their own and can formulate their own opinion and judgement?

My comments on occasion can certainly be viewed in a varied manner depending which side of the fence you sit and how you see the future of the competition.

I just ask that everyone involved takes a deep breath and thinks hard about what is occurring :

The side that has just won the top tier Central division premiership is being relegated back to the lower Country division .

Once again you keep beating the same drum. You are not judged by your A grade side, it is your performance as a CLUB that determines your fate. And your performance as a CLUB was the worst overall. I'll say it again, I like this rule because an overpaid A grade side (even a premiership one) can be relegated as a CLUB if the effort hasn't been put into developing those that currently play for the love of the game. The HFL has got this right, now go back to Country, develop your juniors and build the foundations that will make you a strong CLUB.
by rock
Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Country Division

A lot of negative talk on the HFL Central forum in relation to the HFL Country competition and how bad it would be to have to compete in it . The standard may not be as good as Central ( for a variety of reasons ) but the competition is no less competitive or important to the clubs and towns involved. Try telling the James's at Kersbrook, the Jaensch's at Nairne, the Dawes's at Meadows or the Schutz's at Birdwood that their clubs are second rate and their tradition and achievements in the past don't stand for as much as they would if they were in Central.
A get a little tired hearing how good everything is in Central. Kangarilla's, Nairne's, Maccesfield's and Kersbrook's facilities would match anything in the Central Division and the others are no worse than Mt Barkers, Torrens Valleys, Bridgewaters or Ironbanks. I'm confident that Fielke and James's coaching CV's stand up against 90% of the Central Division coaches and I can see no reason why players in the Country Division would not adapt very quickly to Central and be more than useful contributors to most teams.
No matter what happens with the HFL the Country Division will again have great games, a close contest for the whole year and heaps of interest in it. The Nairne v Meadows Anzac Day Game is a great day, the Kersbrook / Birdwood / Gumeracha rivalries goes back years and is always competitive and the fight for finals was intense last year coming down to the last round or two to decide the double chance and fifth spot.
I hope whilst all this talk is going on about Central and what needs to be done to be fair to all Central Division clubs doesn't result in the welfare of the Country Division Clubs and the importance of the Country Division competition being ignored and not respected.
by scratcher
Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Country Division serves its purpose as a great competition for the smaller populated towns in the Hills.
I don't know why people are so keen to suggest killing off teams and making super mergers in the so called interest of the competition.
A lot of locals want to play for their local town, it is part of their local identity and history. So what if a clubs A grade has a few lean years , most do. It doesn't mean we should panic and complain they are bringing the competition down to an alarming level.

Look at Kangarilla premiers 2006 , struggling now but who knows maybe premiers again in 5 years.
Nairne 40 goal thrashings in central, rebuilt over time in country, now want to go back to central.
Ten or so years ago I saw Ironbank in country smash Birdwood by over 40 goals , then a few years back the chooks beat Blackwood at Blackwood in central.

I don't believe it goes in cycles, but clubs do have lean years. With time they can rebuild.

I say "NO" to the Birdgum Valley football club.
by The Panther
Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Legs Man my old mate, you have got to stop.

Please do the users of this forum and the members of the mighty Echunga FC a favour by not posting anymore dribble.

Give yourself another self-imposed ban but make it permanent this time please.

Your posts are toxic and are fast making us a very unpopular club.
by PussInBoots
Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There is no way that a league director would sanction me to even stand for election.

The implementation of a business savvy CEO is the best option moving forward which then takes the onus away from the directors and a lot of criticism is deflected.
There could be savings made by simply having a centrally located office for the CEO and 2 other employees with the HFL meetings being held on a rotational basis at HFL clubs.
This would mean that a headquarters as such is not required and the expense that goes with it.
This also gets the board closer to each club and provides a greater alliance and understanding between all parties.
No remuneration is paid to directors as this is a voluntary position e.g no payments for ground inspections, running the footy budget etc etc,

Our competition now generates the income to be run as a business and should be treated this way which would also mean the constitution would become part of the business structure and be formalised in an equitable and legal sense.

My opinion is that 11 apps points should be allocated to all clubs allowing more quality players into hills footy and therefore spreading the remuneration while also diminishing the mercenary footballer's bargaining power.
Each club is then given the same opportunity - with no permits allowed - and there is no argument that anyone is favoured .

While this appears fair in principle, its not what the APPS is designed for in country footy, there are too many other factors that make it an uneven playing field as it stands, where the points system is in principle designed to even out the competition "make it fair"...

Withouth being too technical about it, the population, demographic, socio-economic factors that play a major part in participation numbers (and therefore by weight of numbers that equates to playing depth) already makes every club different (or uneven for this argument). What the points system is designed to do is try and even out those differences by allowing players from outside the league population to join a particular club to give it a better chance of competing with other clubs.

Given that intention, the only way to apply points to clubs is based on performance. And heres the example:

Club A wins premiership and based on past 3 years performance is allowed 6 point to retain exisitng recruits or replace one that leave. This mark sets the current benchmark for the rest of the competiton.
Club D runs fourth this year and accounting for previous 3 years performance and is allocated 10 points. This indicates (based on performances not opinions) that Club D requires the use of 4 extra points (to be used as they see fit) to take them to a level that should be equal in relative terms to Club A.
Club H finishes eighth and allowing for previous 3 years results is allocated 15 points. This indicates (based on performances not opinions) that Club H requires the use of 9 extra points (to be used as they see fit) to take them to a level that should be equal in relative terms to Club A.

Every club is assessed without prejudice based purely on past performace to indicate what allowance of outside support is required to make them competitive with the competition benchmark.

If every player/import was of the same ability then this would be a pretty accurate formulae to determine points allocation (and is still the best way).
Where clubs get it wrong, is how THEY decide to use their points allocation.

Dont get confused with the ammo's where they give everyone 15 points and let promotion and relegation create the so called even divisions, they prom/releg is hugley relevant over the number of divisions they have, the relegation / promtion issue here is minimal at best as its not even a given to happen every year.

people use the APPS as an excuse as a limitation, but forget thats exactly what its designed to do in country footy, giving everyone 15 points will only see an EPL like results, where the bigs clubs with big populations, good juniors and plenty of $$$ win it every year and everyone else battle just to make the finals!
by RooShootOhh
Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think in the past they have not had the 2 full senior teams either & players have had to play 2 games most weekends & getting flogged in the process. I do feel for them being a small community & somewhat isolated. It's not the HFL's fault the Mid Murray comp folded. In the past the HFL has been bagged for not doing anything about Callington, so I ask, what should they have done then (hindsight is a wonderful thing) & what should be done now with Sedan/Cambrai.
by cracka
Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm not the one implying the S/C B-Graders don't deserve to play football.

I see the the mock outrage, misinterpretation and drama queen tendencies are persisting......

As mentioned before, if Sedan have 40 senior players (which you're seemingly implying they do, but we all know they don't), they can nominate 2 teams in the Div 3 comp and they can all play every weekend, but not at the expense of the other 8 Div 2 clubs who want a meaningful competition across all grades.

Based on your principle whereby having two senior teams (and no juniors) means you can play Div 2, then the Callington issues didn't need addressing either as they could field 2 teams.
by Elmer J Thudpucker
Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Country footy is about giving towns and local communities the right and enjoyment to play footy for their local towns

No-one's arguing with your comment above, and we have a perfect example in the young men of the township of Milang who play in the HFL Div 3 and enjoy their footy, which is what the young men of Sedan can also do if they choose.
by Elmer J Thudpucker
Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Noted re Gumeracha, hopefully just a 'one off'. So if Hahndorf hadnt have helped Kangarilla would they be able to fill a side in Senior Colts? I didnt realise/appreciate just how strong Hahndorf is with their numbers of players in junior ranks. If they didnt help and Kangarilla didnt have enough to fill a team in Senior Colts that then would have created a another hole in this comp. Has adjusting the age groups been considered /analysed to see if this helps (eg U14, U16 and U18 Or U12, U14 and U16?) with numbers of eligible kids?
I've suggested at HFL meetings that div 2 ages be U13, U15 & U18. Changing the age GAP to 3 years from junior colts to senior colts has been talked about but there are some opposed to that saying it's too big a gap. The review from last year suggested div 2 be U12, U14.5 & U17.5 but I think junior colts is the critical age group to be the same in both divs. If div 2 senior colts, which is the biggest problem in div 2, is half a year older than div 1 it might help div 2 clubs get players who are not quite ready for senior footy (A, B or C grade).
by cracka
Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Last sunday Mt barker had some big boys running around showing a bit of aggression. I reckon blocky might have them fired up, after the disappointment of going out in straight sets. Have heard skinner went down with the ACL not good, he gave us a bit of trouble with his pace and agility. Scrap the points system it reaards mediocrity. If its meant to even out then why have Uraidla played in the last six grand finals, why haven't T/V, Ironbank or bridgy finished in the top 3 in the last 6 or 7 years. ?

Yeah wouldn't surprise me if he does, I think we forget just how good they were for the previous three years when they barely lost any games (unfortunately just two GF's) and with no injuries this year they will be very hard to beat especially with Obushak returning and some handy pick ups.

Horrid news regarding Skinner, top footballer and wish him all the best in his recovery.

I agree the points should be scrapped but I think what Uraidla have done so well is keep their recruits for many years which has given them the ability to add players over the years as their older imports become one pointers. Compare that to Ironbank for example, we have recruited a lot of players for a year or two which really doesnt help the club in the long term and your basically just getting 3 or 4 new players each year which replace the ones you have lost from the previous year. Tv are similar having had a lot of one and done players but they have been a little smarter getting young players like Giadresco to hang around for a while. Bridgy after years of wasting money had finally recruited some good people that had been hanging around for a few years in Curkpatrick, barber and fosdike and they appear to moving in the right direction. Basically the key is holding onto your recruits for a long period, although im sure the success at Uraidla has made it easier for them to stay.

Clubs that have stable squads are always going to have more success, clubs like Uraidla and Mt Barker don't have mass exodus like some of the other clubs in this league. You have a side that's a gelled unit vs sides that swap and change 6 to 7 players a year it makes a big difference. I think many clubs are starting to see this and being much smarter with their recruiting. For me the point system works if clubs are smart in the way they use it.
by magpiemaster
Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Meadows have dropped their Under 13's and Maccy have pulled their Under 17's and joined up with Kangarilla making it a 6 team U/17 comp.

I can see why Echunga did what they did to stay out of this comp.

...and you can see why most other Div 2 clubs fought so hard to have Sedan Cambrai not allowed to remain in given they had no junior teams at all, only to have their wishes overturned by the HFL to appease the leftover Hahndorf junior colts.
by Elmer J Thudpucker
Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I really think its time to get serious about the junior teams and not just talk about, like we have been for the last five years and nothing changes. I think we need to go back to concentrating on fielding two junior teams on a Saturday for both divisions. With junior colts and senior colts as the number 1 priority, fill those teams first at least most if not all of the clubs would be able to fill those grades, 4 games together as a club on Saturday is better than everyone scattered everywhere. u/15s go back to u/14 1/2 and leave the 17/s as are. If you have enough kids for a 13/s you nominate a team and you all play each other as in one division lets face it there may be 14 teams at most, because I believe some div 1 clubs are struggling to fill a side as is. If the bigger clubs have two teams they can even them out to be about the same in ability. You can still play these games before junior colts if both clubs that play each other have mini colts or they can play Friday nights as what has been happening in Div 2 from time to time. Furthermore if you have enough numbers to warrant we could re-introduce the u12 grades as discussed early last year by the board. I know their will be knockers which is fine but I cant think of any other solution, capping I believe wont work fact is the parents are the ones driving the kids and for what ever reason don't like to travel to far. All I know is it isn't getting better the way it is and clubs are losing their way trying to fill the three junior grades when there isn't enough kids to go around. I think if the pressure was off to fill a mini colts team most clubs would have two really healthy colts teams. Please don't get on here saying "clubs need to work harder to get kids" I think most clubs are working pretty hard to get kids and then trying to retain their own.
by choppy
Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I am glad they are known as the Bears as they have stuff all to do with Meningie, absolute joke , not much fun winning a gf, struggling for money , no locals , no future, this is going to be a memorable couple of seasons for the bears. Shame on the president of the league and life member of Meningie , (sorry bears)!!!!!! to allow such an exploitation of points and the system. The coach must also enjoy doing nothing , embarrassing for all involved.

Your a dead set flog used to be! Your one of these people that all you do is criticise, you probably bring your own esky into the footy, sit by yourself and yell at your own players when things don't go right and give all the advise in the world to clubs(including your own) behind your alias. Yet I bet you have never actually been a committee member or anything similar.
by grasshopper22
Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Division 1 (Central)

Best tread carefully Legs ol matey. These who is who games are what can turn this forum to B... S... at times. Just keep up the on point comments and constructive chatter.

I reckon Jesse should be focused on playing. Not just because it's great to have him back at the Dee's. He is around 25. Far to young to be giving up playing to coach, can spend a lot longer coaching at a high level then you can play.
by youngpace
Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Agree whole heartedly YP !
The issues have certainly now been highlighted and need addressing.
It can only be done though if the clubs get together and sort this out WITHOUT any direction or recommendation by the HFL or CFL thus allowing an outcome that can't be questioned and works for all the clubs involved.
Does the possibility of becoming an independent league/ competition come into consideration allowing this process to occur?
The onus of responsibility also becomes that of the participating clubs which makes sense as they are the competition.
Happy to have a mediating hierarchy still - but the decision making capacity needs to be abolished fully via our constitution.
Unless this occurs it won't happen as history is telling us.
Let the clubs provide our future path and competition makeup.
I'm not sure if I agree with all of this. The problem we have had for years is that the clubs generally only want what is best for them in the present. And if this continues, then you will never have the correct decisions being made for what is best for the league in the future .
I believe the decision needs to be taken out of the clubs hands and into an dependant body whose aim is to make decisions in the best interest of the whole league.
I understand that this will be difficult but the review that was done in Aug 2014 by the four independent guys came up with very similar things I have said.

In response to youngpace, when will be the right time to remove all the gaps in the colts draws (remove all the clubs without 4 teams) to try and regain the quality of div 2? Do we wait until they end up like Callington or Sed/Camb?
Maccy haven't had Sen Colts since 2010 and have only had 1 out of 3 colts teams in the last 2 seasons.
Gum aren't as bad and would expect them to bounce back and have fielded 2/3 colts teams in the last 3 seasons.
Sed/Camb have never fielded sen colts and last fielded jun colts in 2011.
Unfortunately I can't see this improving for Maccy or Sed/Camb in the near future unless something drastic is changed to the Div 2 age groups like U18's and U14's.

This also has great merit. I have said before on here "the league is semi pro and thus needs professional direction and management" In other words it needs someone running the show, making the hard calls like you say. A paid staff who have the business and social qualifications for it.
I am definitely of the belief that due to clubs personal interests and motives decisions have been made outside of the best interest of footy in the past.
Strewth! I didn't realize that about Maccy. I have a soft spot for them, as I recall some real tough years in juniors at Echunga numbers wise and now look at where we are (noted we are still having to work hard on junior participation). I am also repeating myself when I say the long term fix to the balance of the league starts with balancing the junior comp out.
by youngpace
Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If you haven't read Gimp's post please read and if you don't agree keep reading it until you do!

The Div 1 / Div 2 structure should pit clubs of similar strength against one another yet many of you only care about senior football which would be at the expense of competitive junior football. Generally big towns = Div 1, small towns = Div 2 simple! Also move any clubs not filling juniors into a C Grade comp. Why fight so hard to change to league so you can play in a comp that you can't ever seriously compete in across all grades.

I would add to Gimps post that it is not only the AFL/SANFL that could do more. Each club can just about always do more to get into schools in the surrounding area. Schools can be 15km away, but if you are prepared to put the work in, the kids will come. You just need to find some parents willing to help (that's the hard part).
by Amateur Footy
Thu May 21, 2015 3:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Their - possession, belonging to

There - location

They're - they are
by Armytank
Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Hills Football League - the gift that keeps on giving for SA Footy regulars.
by Down the Hill
Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Division 3 (C grade)

Congratulations to Jake Moisey from the Milang Panthers. 2015 Div 3 Medallist. Very well deserved!
by Hear the roar
Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No sour grapes.
They got one back on us after the pastings we gave them
The last two years.
When was their last premiership ?
Yep, until last Saturday we were the only club not to have beaten Echunga since they returned to div 1.
Our last premiership was in 94.
Just out of curiosity when was Echungas last non tax payer funded div 1 flag. :D
by cracka
Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^ Are you boys from the board? About time stuff like this was exposed instead of being swept under the carpet. Who knows it might give the HFL the shake up it deserves. Don't blame IBCGFC for the inadequacies of the league.
by rock
Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes there is a story in the courier as i have just read it. Really not explaining things but McNabb says he was always going to step down at the end of the season, he is also displeased with things that are written about him on the forum and is potentially seeking legal advice.

Being not happy about something being written on a forum and something on a forum being libellous are two different things :oops:
by Esteban Vihaio
Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

maybe the same board members who gave birdwood in div2 the grand final WTF
What's wrong with Birdwood getting the GF? It's not like it's the first time we've hosted one.

Grand Finals should be played on the best ovals and the velodrome at Birdwood is far from the best.

It's not the best but it's also far from the best. GF should be shared around... It's a huge money spinner and all clubs with decent enough facilities should have a shot at it.
by 19thman
Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Division 2 (Country)

This is not about which is the best venue between birdwood and Kersbrook to hold the grand final it's about what a disgrace the Hfl board is. The problem is that different board members promise different things to different people. It's a disgrace that someone can promise birdwood the final and then a different board member is still promising Kersbrook that if you don't make the grand final it's yours which was put in place before the finals. I do feel for birdwood as they had the preliminary final taken away from them too which should of never happened if the ovals are on a rotation during the finals and the grand final isn't included in the rotation. Hopefully this is the last straw and some decent people put there hand up to go on the board.
by Kick'n Back
Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Despite the controversies late in the season, Hills League Board have done a great job running the comp. Only have to see the professionalism of the finals series in both divisions to see that.
Trouble with running a league though, is that there are extremely passionate people from extremely passionate clubs that magnify every little miss step made. The finals permit saga is a good example of this. A small governance slip up caused a major issue, and resignations and so on. Steady thoughtful people are required on the board. Club "Barrackers" would not be a good thing. The question would be weather the clubs would pursue individual club interest - or overall league health interest.
This is surely a p1ss take!!
These "small governance slip-ups" are consistently happening by the same few and doesn't look like improving any time soon.

No doubt club personnel pursue club interest which is not always for the betterment of the league - but this is what they are elected to do by their club members.
The HFL board members are elected to do what is best for the league in total - not any individual club - which is what seems to happen at times.
Put your hand up then if you're not happy with how its run.
Cracka, are you happy with how the league is run?

With the extra points and permits handed Onkas way, what would he have to complain about? No wonder he's happy
by TheBull
Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Appropriate guernsey.
by jo172
Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Salary Cap Investigations

The SAAFL quite happy to have all the young blokes from the country who move to the city for education/work come into their clubs but the minute they want to go the other way they throw a tanty and want to ban them and the CFL will allow it, the sooner this dictatorship that only benefits the SAAFL and SANFL is wound up the better off the rest of the state will be
As someone said earlier far more players transferring into the SAAFL than out so whats the issue??
Maybe if you got more than Mum and Dad along to watch the amateur hour you wouldnt be so jealous of what the country clubs are offering. Why dont you start charging a gate fee and you to might be able to afford the big dollars the country clubs can
by daysofourlives
Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Salary Cap Investigations

When that fisherman spending 200k on his boat results in the guy in his tinny not being able to enjoy his weekend with the reels, then it would be apt. That's what everyone misses. Amateur football is a network. We're all interconnected. You cannot have some clubs paying huge money and not have it affect other clubs that can't.

Your right, the 200k a year fisherman doesn't stop the bloke in his tinny.

However, equally, inflating the price of a marlin doesn't stop you standing on the jetty and catching a squid or two.
To say D1 or country clubs inflating the price of the top end players prevents D7 mitchell park from enjoying their weekend is a load of trollop! You're never going to catch a marlin so don't stop those than can and want to catch one from doing so!

As for protecting the clubs from harming themselves, that's just modern society isn't it. Previously we allowed the stupid to remove themselves from the gene pool, now we put a fence around the pool and have a WHS form for everyone to fill out.
by Trader
Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ironbank to Div 2 No teams going up so a couple of byes now for both divisions

I think this is a great development for Div 2.
- It will add another quality club that has all 5 teams playing on the one day.
- It adds another team that will be strong (meaning we won't have a team that wins 6 out of 18 games making the finals like Meadows this year),
- it will mean a 16 game season where all teams play each other twice (no unfair advantage by playing the bottom teams three times),

Great outcome all round.
by Elmer J Thudpucker
Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Organising Premiership Port/Wine

We get our bulk Port for our Keg on the bar from Horndale Winery at Happy Valley. They do printed Bottles. Good stuff too.
by Courtney Fish
Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How do you apply for more points? Asking for a mate.
by Spearhead
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |