Search found 115 matches

Return

Re: Trial Game Week 3 Discussions

Ridiculous commentary by the Sunday Mail. Were the Eagles even playing against the Crows Reserves? - they were certainly hardly mentioned...
FFS will you lot stop whining. You're sounding like a Pom on the weather. When the hell will you realise your SANFL side isn't worth a mention. If it wasn't for the Crows and the Power there wouldn't be an SANFL comp any more

You need to wake up and smell the humous, and accept the fact there are only 2 sides that matter in your puny comp, so just STFU and accept reality.

Bloody soft IMO

Go crows and power, teams for all South Australians
by johntheclaret
Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Licenses sold- anchors away.

Now the licences have been sold, I've devised a cunning plan to (a) generate much more media exposure, (b) get the crowds back, and (c) get rid of the 2 AFL reserves teams. How, you may ask?

My plan is to shift to a Summer Comp! Play at nights, provide Commercial TV with a replacement during the AFL off season and only compete against cricket (which has lost a lot of it's appeal in recent years) and the A League (room for both- different market)

Back to the glory days?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/blackadder/gallery/images/four3_640.jpg
by Booney
Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 SANFL GRAND FINAL NORWOOD V PA RESERVES

PhilH wrote:
Daniel Frangos on how the Power is affecting the SANFL GF on Sunday - http://footetimes.com/power-looms-large-over-sanfl-grand-final/

[/url]

Great article, well done
by Dutchy
Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 Retirements & 2015 Player Movement Discussions

Big Phil wrote:
westcoastpanther wrote:I'd be very concerned If I were a Dog

Why's that?

You might get fleas or heart worm and have a short life span.
by Wedgie
Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 Retirements & 2015 Player Movement Discussions

Wedgie wrote:
Big Phil wrote:
westcoastpanther wrote:I'd be very concerned If I were a Dog

Why's that?

You might get fleas or heart worm and have a short life span.

That's a fair tradeoff for being able to lick your own balls.
by Pseudo
Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 2 - North v Adelaide at Prospect Saturday 1.10

Green maggots came pretty naturally.
by Wedgie
Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Norwood VS Adelaide

Younie said Adelaide’s participation on Friday would not be his decision but suggested if the Crows were forced to play on Friday some, if not all, AFL players could be withdrawn. There is the possibility of a farcical situation where Adelaide could field 21 top-up players in a move which would hurt the competition’s integrity.

Geezus H Christ, thank god the Crows are looking out for integrity of the comp!

In other news, next week the North Grog Squad will be passing out flyers at all SANFL games about the importance of moderation of drinking.
by Wedgie
Sun May 03, 2015 11:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Player Movements - 2015 / 2016

You know whats more annoying than people not naming players in rumoured moves.. People harping on about it.. If he doesn't want to name them initially then so be it, especially if he controls the clubs social media, why would he step on his own toes by naming them on here before the club official announcement? And at least the fans know the club are actively working to recruit when he announces something is imminent..
by human_torpedo
Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Vale Don Eagle - CDFC

Vale Don Eagle -

The name Don Eagle will mean little to most SANFL fans, in fact it will probably mean little to large numbers of Central District supporters.
However, Eagle played a very important part in the club's history, kicking the Bulldogs' first two goals in the SANFL league competition - while still a teenager.
Recruited from United in the state's Mallee region, located between Swan Reach and Loxton, Don was a big, old-school bloke who enjoyed the country lifestyle.
He was recruited to the club by first coach Ken Eustice, but that Mallee connection was not enough to hold Eagle to the CDFC, a shoulder injury ending his time in the big league.
Don continued to play football in the Mallee, where he coached Wunkar to the 1974 premiership, and the Riverland, for Loxton (where he was a multi-premiership player), and was also a more-than-handy cricketer.
His sons Eric, for Loxton, and Mick, Loxton North, also played football. Mick played in several flags for Loxton North during its glory period of four-straight premierships between 1997-2000.
Eagle wasn't one for big noting himself and was reticent of the spotlight, but he did return to the CDFC during its 50th anniversary year to toss the coin prior to the match.
Eagle passed away on February 21 at Loxton.

RIP, Don.
by Dogwatcher
Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

That's not going to happen. If ever they were going to get any decent support it would have been while there was a novelty factor. Other than tge Walker game it hasn't happened- and won't. Maybe playing more country games would get a few more out to support them- but that doesn't really help the SANFL clubs
I agree 100% Hazydog. My post was intended to be a crack at the Crows. Looks like I'll need to turn up the sarcasm-o-meter. ;)
by Magellan
Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grand Finalists

I'll go out on a limb and say North won't be there.
by Wedgie
Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 Premiership Odds

Just making it a conversation,

It is possibly only time until the Power and Crows eventually win it,

Or is it made impossible for that to happen? If they were in the competition indefinitely, it would only be a matter of time 'til they won it. But they won't be, one way or t'other—within a couple of decades or so, either they will leave, or the competition will transmogrify into something not widely recognised as the SANFL any more.

It's far from impossible for one of the AFL clubs' reserves to win a SANFL flag. 18 months ago, one of them was only a kick away from doing it.

It's just that the odds are gamed by the fact that AFL reserves sides, playing against firsts teams of their opponents, will tend to underperform in finals compared with regular season. There are now enough AFL reserves teams that have played enough seasons in enough state leagues, that the records are there. There are other posts on the topic that I couldn't be bothered digging up now, but there are some striking examples in NSW alone both from the Swans reserves and in recent years the GWS reserves, where regularly repeated 100 point+ smashings of opponents in the H&A season segued into 'surprising' finals losses.

There are multiple reasons for this. A major one is what's technically known as 'giving a shit'. A second is that players' bodies wear down over the course of a year of AFL footy, increasing injuries and 'resting' for older AFL players at the tail end of the season, and the club is automatically taking the best and most in-form players out of the reserves to replace them. Third, very significant where it applies, is the fact that (in non-GFs) it's generally in the AFL club's interest for their state-league team to lose if their AFL side is out, so their young players commence their off-season break sooner (and so get back to pre-season training for the next year sooner, after their minimum break under the AFL players' award). Fourth are the state league finals qualification rules which have a slightly limiting effect on the reserves sides' September strength.

Adelaide reserves will no doubt hand out some more smashings in the H&A season. Unless the AFC has an exceptionally lucky run with injuries all year, I wouldn't get on them to win the flag, though.
by SimonH
Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Effectively saying there is a group of club directors who have met to discuss concerns. Whatever they feel the best course of action is will need to be ratified by the Commission. Interesting that Rooch discounts the Crows placing a team in the Amateur League due to lack of infrastructure. Would have been nice if some decision makers and the media had the common sense to realise that when they voted, rather than consider it as a genuine option up the Crows sleeve.

And the discussion has started that they, the commission, need to go. They came in for the AFL liscence which evolved to liscences, they have gone so why still have them. Its not like they do it for free.

8 team comp, 21 rounds final four. Any takers?
by DOC
Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The perfect standard for the 2 local AFL reserves sides is the SANFL. As you can see with a full list they are strong sides (almost unbeatable ie ravens at present) and a real test for the SANFL sides. But with a few injuries they are average sides (ie Power at the moment).
Joining the Amo's would be a joke standard wise and it wouldn't be viable to join the VFL $$$ wise.
We just have to put up with it as I think it is here to stay unless there is a national reserves comp set up with all AFL reserves.

you make the mistake of thinking that the sanfl should care about the best place for the afl reserves sides. the sanfl should only be concerned with what is best for the sanfl, and ive got news for you, it isnt having afl reserves sides in the competition...

memberships are down, crowds are down, it now costs the sanfl 1 million dollars a year to televise the two reserves sides more than the traditional clubs, instead of the few hundred thousand it cost to do it on the abc (and as already noted, channel 7 are pulling out anyway so there will soon be no coverage at all) reportedly sponsorship of traditional clubs is down, we now have more bye's per team than ever before, and less games per season (when one of the "advantages" of bringing in the reserves was to eliminate the bye...) media interest is down, when i lower myself to look a the tizer, the sanfl dont even normally get a whole page, and dont start me on moving the grand final, the sanfl used to get a whole week to themselves leading up to it, now its lost in the circus that is the afl....

the only winners i can see out of the arrangement, is the afl clubs, and that shouldnt be the sanfl's problem. cutting their own throat to help out the big brother? why would you?

meanwhile, i also agree that returning to the previous arrangement shouldnt be considered. it was a crap system, although it was better than the current schemozzle, surely we can do better with mark 3.
by tipper
Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

lol yep it was all the crows supporters fault!
And if a newer, stronger, entity were to treat the AFL and the Crows the same way you have treated this league, you would see things differently.
But history tells us that 85% of you would actually jump on board the new entity . That would happen after 90% of you oppose the formation new entity.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, you're either under the age of 35 or have a very bad memory. I just described SA football culture prior to and after the formation of the Crows in the early 90s.
by therisingblues
Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South V Sturt AO Saturday September 3 @ 3:10

The Mighty 'Thers by plenty on their march towards a flag!

Let's all hope for a South v Central Grand Final, no other clubs deserve to be there.
by Wedgie
Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Roy Laird bit fined by the SANFL. Out of tune wankers, they should be rewarding him for speaking the truth and trying to open their eyes to something that is wrong! Let's find out how much the fine was and start a crowd funding campaign for Roy.
by Wedgie
Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Roo;
"Just for the record, the Crows had 10 players 21 years old and younger "

Yes, one was Milera that played for Central last year. Central had 13 Players 23 or under.

". Eleven of them had no AFL experience at all.

Central 19 of them had no AFL experience at all

Six had played 20 AFL games or less and

Central two have played 12 afl games or less

only five had played an AFL game this year.

Only zero had played an AFL game this year.
None had played 200 plus AFL games.
None are fulltime footballers.
None get to train "here a lot" -Younie (Adelaide Oval)
All are full time workers outside of football.
None fall under a $10.6million salary cap or an extra $1m outside of the cap if veterans. They do come under a cap 26.5 times less.
by Dogs72
Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Week 2 Finals Live Scores @ Adelaide Oval

I wonder it Gotch still likes the idea of the reserves sides, bringing the best out of his players or whatever his justification was.
Bar Roy, they all say it's good.

But then if you want an AFL job later you probably have to, hence why the clubs voted them in, just paving a career path at the cost of the competition.

That's why Parko is cleared to take the money shot with gusto...
by csbowes
Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 SANFL Grand Final - Sunday Sep 25 (Adelaide Oval)

Well done Sturt for finishing off the Crows

Nothing worse than being in a GF when the opposing crowd are not really passionate about the result. Yes, Sturt supporters will probably outnumber the eagles supporters 3 to 1 next Sunday but at least those of us eagles supporters who are there will be true SANFL supporters and will be cheering loudly and booing bad decisions. Hopefully we will add to the atmosphere. Unlike the crows supporters, winning this grand final against sturt means a hell of a lot to us eagles supporters.
by Mr Fuller
Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I know from my time with an SANFL Club in recent years the players look forward to playing the Crows and Port because it gives them an opportunity to test themselves against AFL listed players.
And the first two weeks of the finals proved that a finals quality SANFL team when matched up against a fully-fledged squad of AFL standard players fails that test dismally. I'm sure the Centrals and in particular the South players love the concept right now.

You all just need to accept it wont change no matter how much you all cry on this thread!!
There's no mistaking the title of this thread. It's called the 'The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread'. Like most threads, it does what is says on the tin. You need to find the 'I love the reserves sides in the SANFL' thread, I'm sure it's one here somewhere. You're also free to start your own celebration of the the AFL reserves sides thread if you can't find it.

Perhaps we know that there's no chance in achieving the change we want. Perhaps that's not the point. Perhaps it's about simply venting our frustration, because for a lot of us the love for our club and the integrity of the comp stretches back decades, and we're entitled to be pissed off about change that (a) we weren't consulted on, and (b) is demonstrably ******* the comp.
by Magellan
Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My pleasure. The average IQ on this thread is pretty low, so perhaps not obvious to all...

What'll you all talk about next season when the Crows and Power 2nds fail to make the finals???

Well one of them has made it each year so far. They might both make it next year, who knows and not the main point. What some on here fail to comprehend, is this thread wasn't started after Port made the GF in 2014, or after the Crows made the finals this year. We've been talking about this, the worst decision in SANFL history, before they entered and very week since their entry.
by Dogs72
Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Player movement 2017

In respect of AFL teams drafting from the teams in their local comp couldn't a rule be introduced to make those players inelilible to play against their original team. They would probably be reluctant to play any way if they had any loyal feelings
by Reddeer
Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Redlegs redevelopment.

Good news, easily my fav away ground to visit. If they could redevelop their supporters things would be perfect! ;)

That's a bit rich coming from the grog squad. Not too many rocket scientists amongst that lot.
I'm glad you like the ground. Make sure you come into the club rooms and see what its like to win Premierships in this millennium
If I wanted to do that I'd head to Elizabeth - won more flags, and their club-rooms actually exist.
by Magellan
Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL starting women's league in 2017

Hazydog wrote: Come to think of it... what exactly is a blockbuster?

I dunno, but it's not this.

Wedgie wrote:2017 Statewide Super Women’s League Friday night season opener at Coopers Stadium on 17th February.
by Magellan
Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

MW wrote:Free entry for 4000 people, or paid entry for 1500-2000. Which would be more profitable to the hosting club?

With what is charged for food and drink, easily the 4000.
If they were smart theyd find somewhere in between free and whtever it is these days though.
by Wedgie
Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2017 Predictions for SANFL Premiers

Central
Sturt
Norwood
Eagles
South
West
North
Glenelg

Throw in the Power and Crows anywhere from 1 -10 depending on injuries to their league sides. Farce.
by Wedgie
Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

What cost for streaming??

Who knows, there might be a subscription fee. Like Jimmy notes, you can add on to a membership to get streaming through your club website.

Either way, which is bullshit, the days of the tranny on the rainwater tank as you potter around the backyard are gone and the SANFL is to blame.
by Booney
Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2017 SANFL Trial Games

I reckon so. To be honest I was impressed this time last year as well. Not sure how many were missing yesterday from the best 21 but the work rate, aggression and willingness to take the game on were positives for me. The young blond lad up forward (sorry name escapes me at the mo) , who was in the State squad last year is a keeper for sure.
Josh Scott is the one you're thinking of - I think you guys had a go at getting him out to Elizabeth not long ago.
Pretty sure we had at least 6 out yesterday that will line up in round 1.
by Spargo
Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Good news that people like JTC will be able to see every game.
by Wedgie
Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 1 2017

FOOT-e TIMES SANFL Stats Report for RD 1
2017 Rd 1.pdf
by PhilH
Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 1 2017

Wests side looks bigger ....
by DOC
Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm so shallow, 15 mins ago I was going to demand my money back, now the website is working I'm happy as a pig in shit.

I might still demand my money back for North being so shIt but I don't think that's the SANFLS fault :lol:
by Wedgie
Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

And meanwhile in the West... the discontent with their AFL player alignment arrangement continues to fester...

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/the-tuesday-wafl-is-the-alignment-model-destroying-the-dna-of-a-once-proud-wafl-club-ng-b88448580z

The old method of farming out players to varying WAFL clubs, (SANFL referenced as using the same method), is being warmly reminisced..
As an aside, the video links in that story are well worth a click. Vintage WAFL action.
by Pseudo
Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TV ADs by Port Power

To use your analogy, if you do get divorced does that mean you erase all the memories, milestones etc that you once shared?
no, but i would have thought that usually you dont get to continue "playing" with her anymore for free*.....
*is it ever really free??
Think this sums it up - the memories and milestones are yours to keep - no one can take that away from you. But your privileges and rights are instantly removed - and you must live by the new terms of the relationship.
Of course you can still try to seduce or take advantage of your former partner, but morally, to take advantage of someone less fortunate than yourself for your own personal gain is reprehensible I'm sure you will agree? ;)

I'm amazed you think the SANFL is less fortunate than us. 8)
by Booney
Wed May 03, 2017 1:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Would definitely weaken the Crows.
If Port were forced to make up the numbers with unproven top ups it would hurt them too. Just highlights the ridiculous situation of having three different sets of rules for who you can have out on the park.
If Port had the same rules as the Crows, Summerton wouldn't be playing for the Magpies at all.
by therisingblues
Mon May 22, 2017 4:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Round 6

I have to be fair - I've only seen two games so far. Timing of matches and family commitments have stopped me going more.

But on the weekend, I witnessed an enigmatic player who does the spectacular one minute, then the mind-numbingly dumb the next.
Took a hanger on Saturday at centre wing, then proceeds to play on with no clear intention and gets caught holding the ball.
Meanwhile his first goal, and ours, in the second quarter was bizarre to watch. Takes mark on boundary, sort of plays on but doesn't as he can't find a pass and then snaps a floaty snap-shot goal on his left.
He has no support, which hasn't helped. Connor McLean who I was hoping would come along this year hasn't been sighted.

the amazingly stupid is a direct result of his complete lack of confidence in his kicking. He looks to play on at every opportunity either to off load or to run into an open goal. Agreed his competiveness in getting the ball is great, its just what he then does with it which is a concern. Having said that - in a team that was dominating and playing with confidence, he might be a completely different proposition with his finishing.

He's your problem now. :lol:
by Booney
Tue May 23, 2017 12:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't think it's funny - more... inevitable. Unless a significant, strategic and practical restructure is undertaken. Also keep in mind I don't associate the death of the SANFL with the death of the clubs. So whilst it is true that I have no time, sympathy or reverence for the administrative wing of the SANFL - nor their cronies, nor their anti-Port militia in the media - I do however have all of that and more for you know, the actual clubs and the people (including the supporters) therein.

All perfectly fair and reasonable.

Having said that the delusions, hypocrisy, bias and grim grip on yesteryear by sad and bitter old men in this thread...? That I do find funny in a macabre kind of way.

The thought by most AFL supporters in this state with little to no interest in the SANFL, that the SANFL fans are all stuck in the competitions glory days is miles off the mark. We all understand we play 2nd fiddle (with daylight in between) to big brother, and that's fine, we just want our own competition to be fair and equitable, and thriving at a lower level, and dont see it as an unreasonable wish. We're happy to be the breeding ground for players talented enough to progress to AFL, although we don't want the competition to be exclusively for that purpose. We're happy to have those that fell out of the AFL because they generally help with the standard at our level. But the competition to the genuine SANFL fans requires a level playing field to be meaningful to supporters, many of whom have had multiple generations of their family involved with their club.

We don't expect our games on primetime TV, we don't expect multiple pages in the Advertiser, we don't expect the radio stations to discuss the competition for hours on end. We realise our place in the pecking order.

The problems we're faced with today aren't entirely due to the AFL clubs existence in the competition either - The biggest issue imho was/is the financial health of the clubs.

So whilst we love to reminisce about the glory years, we'd be more than happy if the comp resembled what it did 5 or 10 years ago (with or without local AFL listed players).

I don't believe there's a simple fix, just putting it out there that what we want, isn't what a lot of people make it out to be,
by JK
Mon May 29, 2017 7:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 13

OK, my tips for this week, FWIW:

WWT and Sturt on Sunday is a GF preview, hard to go past the Iggles at home but Sturt will give them a run for their money, especially with Aiden Riley back in. As a consequence the Iggles will gain a useless psychological advantage for the finals.

The POSAs should knock off the resurgent Westies, especially with the return of 'Crows ball magnet' Scott Thompson (if he's such a ball magnet, why isn't he still in their AFL side?).

The Bays to pip Soufs at their home ground in a tight encounter. The knives will come out and the Panthers move one step closer to apostasy for Buddha.

The Never Tear Us Aparts will probably do that to Centrals. Butcher to cop some mild abuse from a young teenager in an Port jumper...could be on or off the field, hard to tell at this stage.

Norwood can pick their own margin against North. If they're smart they'll wait until 'lemon time' to turn up at the ground and do enough to win by simply walking onto the oval and gently gesturing in the direction of the footy. Also, Leigh Ryswyk to enjoy his own personal mid-season break interstate, the club will advise when his testimonial slide-show evening will be held in due course.
by Magellan
Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

MW wrote:Definitely option A...
You can't tell me Port were happy to have their Power players scattered across the SANFL playing different game styles in different positions.

They were well on their way to getting most of them back to Alberton (which was an issue in its own right)
by JK
Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Central District coach Roy Laird to coach again in 2018

I personally think it is great news. Yes, this year may not have been a successful one for the club. However, in Roy's 14 years of coaching we have only missed the finals on one occasion. The current playing list is very young and, given the vast majority stay together next year, there should be successful times ahead.
This year's performance has really come down to three bad quarters of football:
Giving up a 40 point lead against Norwood
Giving up a 29 point lead against Glenelg
Giving up a 21 point lead against North.

Take those three shocking quarters away and we would be sitting safely in the five.

Cheers
by bulldogproud
Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 16

This weekend's tips:

Crows' Reserves should topple the Roosters at Prospect, but who knows? The Ravens train hard but play like they don't care, the Chooks play like they don't train but play like they care. Craig is a big in the North, but so are Seedsman and MIlera for the other team. Expect some internal tensions and Gore for the Ravens between Dear and Hunter. Lever should be playing in the pivot.

The Eagles will continue their inexorable march towards a grand final loss by accounting for the hapless Panthers. Moyle will do his utmost to cut off Wood's forward thrusts. If Heaslip, expect to see a Liddle Poole on the Fields.

Sturt to account for Bays, but I expect the home side to give a good account of themselves. Sellar will be fighting at the bottom of every pack, but come the last quarter he may be Schott. My mail is Veale will start wide on the wing, and Slimming will be watching him with envy.

Despite some big ins for the Bloods, the Power Reserves should prevail. Whilst Houston is off to the Power, Austin remains in the side which will keep those from Texas happy.

I think Norwood will comfortably defeat the Bulldogs at the Parade. The rumour is the form of M. Coles and J. Coles at reserves level is down down, and despite many selection committee votes for Pedro to step up to league level the coach would have Nunn of it, bless his Cotton socks.
by Magellan
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 18

You're welcome Doggies :D :D

Yay we get to hand the spoon over!
by Brodlach
Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 18

This is floating around on social media...

by Big Phil
Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Finals - Week 1

Not confident at all about tomorrow. Potentially the last game of SANFL I attend so a touch of sadness aswell

Finals are always 50/50 mate, I'm excited but certainly not overconfident. Why last game?
Since the AFL Reserves sides have entered I've become more and more disillusioned with the comp each year and several of our group have stopped attending completely. I still go most weeks but the enjoyment is dwindling and I've always said that the day a Reserves side wins the flag that will do it for me. Port look like making that a reality
by Jim05
Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Finals Week 3- Preliminary Final Week.

Would love to see Sturt get up over Port Power.

No chance, I think they'll beat Port Magpies though

:roll: Magpies, Power, call them what the **** you want, but they are still an AFL Reserves squad.

You could also say Magpies, Power, call them what the **** you want, but they are still Port Adelaide

The Cuckoo's would be more appropriate.

The parent cuckoo, by stealth, puts its bastard egg in another birds nest which is then conned into looking after the interloper.
The cuckoo chick is at least 3 times bigger than the sovereign chicks who, one by one are squeezed out leaving the cuckoo's chick as the biggest and strongest in the nest. Meanwhile the parent birds continue to nurture the cuckoo chick seemingly oblivious to the damage it's doing until it's too late and all the sovereign chicks are dead and the nest is abandoned.

Hang on a minute............
by johntheclaret
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Finals Week 3- Preliminary Final Week.

The way I see it is the Eagles form over the last six weeks was about how I expected them to be all year. Their first 4 months was definitely a case of over-achieving, and Gooden deserves credit for that.
Definitely not enough players who hurt oppositions on the scoreboard.... some great defenders and some mids who accumulate without having an effect on the game.

Sturt have proven to be more than a one-season wonder. Mattner is one of the very few coaches who are not obsessed with the all-out chip and possess style of game. Excellent mids, and a good spread of talls.

As for this week? The SANFL are damned whatever the result... if Port win there will be the uproar that there should be. If they lose, the question of integrity will be raised..... "Do AFL-based players care enough about a SANFL Premiership?"
by northerner
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2017 SANFL Grand Final

Jim05 wrote:Suck it you frauds!
Poetic justice that Scummerton finishes his Port days losing a GF by a point

and heads to Sturt i hear :D
by locky801
Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: INS and OUTS for 2018

Incredible.
Originally only Port were allowed a marquee. And if my understanding was correct, he was to be temporary.
Now both AFL clubs are to be allowed them on a permanent basis.
How is this happening at the same time Glenelg is being told their cap has been reduced owing to ongoing debt?
Surely in this situation the SANFL clubs should ALSO be allowed a marquee player, outside the current rules which apply to player recruitment, i.e. the cap?
I would suggest that the Crows and Power be made to pay for the 8 SANFL marquee players. Some clubs can only do so much with the existing cap while others are being told to tighten their belts, then the SANFL just gift the AFL reserves a ticket to go spend more money to compliment their million dollar lists? It is time the SANFL clubs were offered an equal concession.

The original rules were.
Both Port and Crows could have One leadership Player over the age of 28 that had previously played for the club. Ours was Ian Callinan and Ports was Henry Slattery. The rest of Crows top up players came from Amatuers and SANFL reserve players. The rest of Ports top up players came from players that were on the Magpies list at the time (This included Summerton) and players from Ports old zones. Technically Ports captain should have been Slattery lol.

And if memory serves, Summerton was placed on a longer term , back ended contract so that he could receive more than the nominated $200 per game or whatever it was that top ups were entitled to - and the SANFL immediately closed the loop on that happening down the track again.

In fairness to the SANFL, in making this decision they have obviously taken into account how the "Magpies" have struggled since they transitioned to an AFL reserves team.
STRUGGLED You're joking surely

Yes, that's exactly what he's doing.

Good pick up.
by Booney
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |