Search found 166 matches

Return

Re: Reserves - PAFC accepts invite from SA Football Commissi

I may have missed it earlier but why arnt the Power paying 50K to each SANFL club to enter a team in the SANFL?

The Corporation are paying a License Fee to join the competition. Port Adelaide are already part of that competition and are handing back a substantial junior development fee, which is more than enough.

It seems to me that alot of confusion would be cleared up if the SANFL exercised its right to expel the Magpies from the SANFL and invited the Power to join.
Could also then charge them 400k each year for the honour.
by daysofourlives
Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Footy Chick wrote:Ive noticed that there are a helluva lot more magpies around this year.

Not more, theyve just lost their home and their identity so they're angry and on the move.
by Wedgie
Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rumours and Player Movement Discussions for 2014

Beenreal, how many magpie players do you expect to stick around and play for the power reserves next year? Wll be intesting to see how many do decide to stick around.

BW, I remain confident the opportunity to access the best training, rehab, welfare facilities in the competition, plus the prestige of winning a Premiership for Port Adelaide will be more than enough incentive for the PAFC's playing stocks to be more than adequately serviced.

I also think many will be surprised at both the numbers and the quality of those doing the upcoming pre-season under Darren Burgess.

Not every footballer plays simply for the money.
Bahaha! There is no longer any prestige in winning a premiership for Port Adelaide Power Magpies or whatever you call yourselves these days. There isn't even any prestige in beating you guys anymore. Your team is just a development squad. You are a nothing club now.
by cennals05
Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glenelg Senior Coach 2014

I just rang them and they wouldn't tell me! :(
by Wedgie
Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

People that complain about halloween but don't complain about other holidays or traditions from overseas like Christmas or Easter.
by Wedgie
Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Channel 7 announced by SANFL as preferred telecast partn

wall to wall Crows and Port matches coming to a 7-Mate near you ... yawn
by dedja
Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

Your assuming a SANFL club has pockets as deep as the Crows. Not as deep as the Crows (who, let's face it, are no threat to win a SANFL flag any time soon unless they significantly re-game the system). But deeper than other SANFL clubs. Deep enough for the salary cap to be an impediment in the real game: getting an advantage over other clubs who might be in a position to win the flag.

There would be no point in having a salary cap, unless some clubs were willing and able to spend more than it, if not prevented from doing so.

I dont think the Crows or Power will be that far away, all dependant on injuries.
What we need to consider is the standard of the curent SANFL teams will IMO drop considerably. Just the removal of AFL listed players from each team will do that. Also the possibility and we have seen some retirements already of the 26-32 yr olds who dont want to be part of a development league.
The comp wont need rules like only one player over 28 for Crows and Power, It will be the norm for all clubs and they will be lucky to have one player over 28. There won't need to be a salary cap either when SAAFL and country clubs have a bigger budget than the league clubs.
Hope Im wrong but give it 5 years

Don't even think of lumping the PAFC in with that mercenary abomination known as the Camry Number 2s. While they continue with this pathetic policy of rotating "top up" players through their system on 4-6 week contracts, they'll never be known as anything but a practice side.

Unlike Port Adelaide who are continuing the process of contracting their squads (Juniors, Reserves & League) for a tilt at the Premiership over the entire season.

PAFC- Doing everything better than everyone else for 143 years only continuing with reserves and juniors for 12 months mate
by the joker
Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pro Wrestling Talk

Don't know how you can't appreciate his work. I understand you don't like the bloke, but that doesn't mean his work isn't entertaining. His work during the mid 2000's was good and hence he got rewarded with a few main event opportunities. Not one of the greatest of all time, but it will definitely be my honour and privilege to see him in action in a couple weeks.[/quote]

Did you get ringside tickets as they include a meet and greet with him. This was previously about an hour long and included a questions from the crowd, photos and discussion time in previous shows with international stars.
by wristwatcher
Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

So its the Cocks v Cockheads in Round 1
by Jim05
Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: North Recruit Triple Magarey Medalist!

Mic wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Looks like I might have prematurely exploded with this one. Whispers out of Prospect is Jimmy's asking for more than North are willing to pay.

Again?

Appatantley there's nasal sprays around that will help me.
by Wedgie
Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Norwood Recruit Triple Magarey Medalist James Allan

Norwood proved you can cheat and still win as long as you're willing to sell out the league for your own personal gain.

This has been the problem with the clubs for a while, self interest over what is best for the league.

This is why the Crows and Power will always get what they want in the new practice league.

Maybe the Crows will beat Norwood in the GF after parking the karma bus.
by csbowes
Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ashes 3rd Test Perth Discussion

Amazing what happens when rain doesn't "save" a team from defeat, when DRS doesn't influence the outcome, when pitches aren't ridiculously doctored.
Amazing what happens when a coach is appointed who is a man's man. Who understands our culture, who can sort out the shit in our dressing room. A coach who's been there and freely encourages a frothy after a win. A coach who pisses off the silly rotation system.

We have an opener in Warner who can put a bowling attack on the back foot within minutes. We have a skipper who's tactics are brilliant and is a world class batsmen. Haddin is in career best form after overcoming personal adversity. We have a group of bowlers who complement each other. Harris is all class, Siddle is all guts, Lyon gets better and better and then there's Mitch. We haven't had a quick put fear in batsmen since Thommo. His head is clearly in a better space.

When we took the final wicket I was stopped at traffic lights. The bloke in the car next to me yelled "you beauty", the two young tradies opposite me were high fiving - it's a great day to be an Aussie. One could be excused if one indulged in an extra tinnie or three tonight.

The arrogance is back, so is the swagger and the chirp. But most importantly, for the Australian cricket team and the Australian cricket public - the good times are back.
by Spargo
Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

pure 2014 draw

The full 2014 SANFL draw, for purists:

Round 1
Fri April 4
Glenelg v Sturt Glenelg 7:20
Sat Apr 5
Eagles v Central Woodville 2:10
South v West Noarlunga 7:10
Bye North, Norwood

Round 2
Fri Apr 11
West v Eagles Richmond 7:20
Sat Apr 12
Central v Norwood Elizabeth 12:10
North v South Prospect 2:10
Bye Sturt, Glenelg

Round 3
Thu Apr 17
West v North Richmond 7:20
Norwood v Sturt Norwood 7:40
Fri Apr 18
South v Glenelg Noarlunga 5:00
Bye Central, Eagles

Round 4
Fri Apr 25
Norwood v North TBC 3:20
Sat Apr 26
Central v South Elizabeth 2:10
Sun Apr 27
Sturt v Eagles Unley 2:10
Bye: Glenelg, West

Round 5
Fri May 2
Glenelg v Norwood Glenelg 7:20
Sat May 3
North v Sturt Prospect 2:10
West v Central Richmond 6:30
Sun May 4
South v Eagles Noarlunga 2:10

Round 6
Sat May 10
Central v North Elizabeth 2:10
Eagles v Glenelg Woodville 2:10
South v Norwood Noarlunga 7:10
Bye: West, Sturt

Round 7
Sat May 17
Eagles v North Woodville 2:10
Glenelg v Central Glenelg 2:10
Sun May 18
Sturt v West Unley 2:10
Bye: Norwood, South

Round 8
Fri May 23
Norwood v Eagles Norwood 7:40
Sat May 24
Central v Sturt Elizabeth 2:10
West v Glenelg Richmond 2:10
Bye: South, North

State fixture
Sat May 31
SANFL v VFL

Round 9
Fri Jun 6
West v Norwood Richmond 7:20
Sat Jun 7
Sturt v South Unley 2:10
Mon Jun 9
Glenelg v North Glenelg 2:10
Bye Eagles, Central

Round 10
Sun Jun 15
Glenelg v South Glenelg 2:10
Sturt v Norwood Unley 2:10
North v West North 2:10
Bye Central, Eagles

Round 11
Sat Jun 21
South v Central Noarlunga 2:10
Norwood v Glenelg Norwood 2:10
Sun Jun 22
Eagles v Sturt Woodville 2:10
Bye: North, West

Round 12 - split round
Fri Jun 27
Norwood v Central Norwood 7:40
Sat Jul 5
South v North Noarlunga 7:20
Sun Jul 6
Glenelg v Eagles Glenelg 2:10
Bye West, Sturt

Round 13
Sat Jul 12
Central v West Elizabeth 2:10
Eagles v Norwood Woodville 2:10
Sturt v Glenelg Unley 2:10
Bye South, North

Round 14 - split round
Fri Jul 18
Norwood v South Norwood 7:40
Sat Jul 19
West v Sturt Richmond 2:10
Central v Eagles Elizabeth 2:10
Sat Jul 26
North v Glenelg Prospect 2:10

Round 15
Sat Aug 2
Glenelg v West Glenelg 6:30
Sun Aug 3
North v Norwood Prospect 1:10
Sturt v Central Unley 2:10
Bye: Eagles, South

Round 16
Sat Aug 9
Eagles v South Woodville 2:10
Norwood v West Norwood 2:10
Sturt v North Unley 2:10
Bye: Glenelg, Central

Round 17
(weekend of Sat Aug 16)
West v South Richmond
Central v Glenelg Elizabeth
North v Eagles Prospect
Bye: Sturt, Norwood

Round 18
(weekend of Sat Aug 23)
North v Central Prospect
Eagles v West Woodville
South v Sturt Noarlunga
Bye: Norwood, Glenelg

Finals draw TBA, pending allocation of finals byes.
by Pseudo
Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Draw

Highlights of the draw for me include:

Sat. 26/4:
Central District v South Adelaide
Sat. 21/6:
South Adelaide v Central District
by RB
Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ashes 4th test Boxing Day - Melbourne Discussion

To think 90, 831 people were there to see it too...
by Failed Creation
Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL MEMBERSHIPS SEASON 2014

North voting yes didn't go over well with me, but the lies coming from the club in recent times is enough.

I don't have much faith in the people running the SANFL, and certainly not at North.
by The Sleeping Giant
Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

The $100,000 catch being caught.

by The Sleeping Giant
Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Magpies Are Now The AFL Power Reserves

I think the Power is making a mistake by badging its reserves team as the Magpies. The whole problem with identity (in my opinion) stemmed from moving away from the Magpies creed and starting up the new Power ethos and hoping everyone would forget they hated the Magpies and suddenly become Power fans overnight. As we know, this didn't happen, they simply alienated some of the Magpie community and lost out

Then the club tried to bring the Magpie creed back in, all that "One Club" crap, while at the same slowly strangling the Magpie club to death, taking them out of the SANFL board, making them a subsidiary, treating them like a retarded cousin. Now they have well and truly knifed the Magpie club, but are trying to say all is alive and well at Magpie land in some sort of "Weekend at Bernie's" nightmare charade.

The PAFC should just put the Magpie name to rest, honour its history and be the Power in both the AFL and SANFL. It keeps marketing and colours consistent and ends the which club is which and who's on first and all that crap we've been hearing for years.

I hate seeing the Magpies dead, but they are, so stop stuffing about and just promote the Power like you want to...
by csbowes
Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pro Wrestling Talk

Yep 9 when one of the worst lines ever commentated was uttered " Do you smell that, is that chloroform?" :oops: I guess Bobby the Brain or Gorilla Monsoon had been smothered with chloroform. :roll:
by wristwatcher
Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows Disgrace

Gotta love G McIntosh's quote about the Crows: "That's what happens when people in bullshit castles make bullshit decisions".
You Macca are a deadset LEGEND!
by Wedgie
Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows Disgrace

Macca19 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:What a completely irrelevant piece of prose.

This. I dont think ive ever read such a pile of wank in my life.

Come on Macca, surely you must have read The Creed (tm) once or twice? :lol:
by Pseudo
Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Celebrity Casualties

RIP Harold Ramis.

Leaves behind an amazing film and comedy legacy.

Groundhog Day is word perfect screenwriting.

Flawless.
"No we are not homosexual but we are "willing to learn"", "C'mon, rhythm! Hut, 2, 3, 4. Black guys help the white guys..." "I think this building should be condemned. There's serious metal fatigue in all the load-bearing members, the wiring is substandard, it's completely inadequate for our power needs, and the neighborhood is like a demilitarized zone."

Caddy shack, Stripes, Ghostbiusters, Groundhog Day, Brilliant

"Son of bitch! Shit!"
by Failed Creation
Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 SANFL Catch Cry

Could have saved them some money and time.

The competition formerly known as.
by Booney
Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

Why is that?
by dedja
Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1197am RPH Adelaide's Thursday Night SANFL Show

Did you ask Younie how their A grade side went tonight? :D
by Wedgie
Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Trial Game Week 3 Discussions

FULL TIME @ PLAYFORD ALIVE OVAL

LEAGUE - Final Scores

Port - 14.11 = 95

Central - 4.6 = 30

Port Power Reserves win by 65 points

GOALS:

Port - B.Renouf, A.Young, R.Buggermann 2, J.Johansen, B.Ah Chee, B.Haren, S.Summerton, S.Gray, B.Newton, K.Amon , C.Hitchcock 1

Central - L.Habel 2, J.Gilbee, B.Retzlaff 1

Might have thought you of all people might be above that NIMBY cr@p PH. Guess you're in with the sheep.
Im prepared to call you Port Magpies if you are prepared to play within our salary cap, until then you ARE Port Power Reserves
by Jim05
Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Eric 2014

Well, as promised I am now officially a member of the South Adelaide Football Club. Explained to the football club admin why I was doing it, and she was very grateful for the support. My three game pass will be going to a fellow South member to take friends along.

Go Panthers
by The Sleeping Giant
Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Footy SA - New Channel 9 TV Show on SA Football

Is there a fair few people that are frustrated by the fact that everything the SANFL now does and everything that is spoken of the SANFL in the media etc comes from an AFL perspective.

I truly believe that the SANFL competition has missed a trick and in less than 10 years will be no more than an under 23 feeder comp for the AFL.

Imho the SANFL should have been looking to set itself up as the alternative to the AFL rather than AFL's puppet reserve league. We were never going to compete against the AFL but I do believe there was enough support out there for the SANFL to flourish in its own right much like the Triple J's, Fresh FM of this world do against the commercial radio stations.
by whufc
Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 1 - North v Adelaide @ Prospect (Sun 6/4)

There will be games down stairs between the NAFC board/Vice Presidents and the AFC hierarchy ;)
by Ian
Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

There were no games under 2k until Round 5 last year:
by spell_check
Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 2 - Port Reserves v Glenelg Post Match

kickinit wrote:so the only teams to play in the SANFL since 1991 have been the crows and power?

Pleeeaaaasssse.... someone make him stop!
by Scrapboy
Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Reserves. The Pros and Cons:

In all fairness, playing for the Crows reserves instead of North has had a huge impact on Lewis Johnstone's game.
:roll:
by Wedgie
Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Regarding the 'SANFL Showdown' yesterday, the SANFL used to be something footy people could watch that didn't involve the AFL.

There are nine AFL matches every week, with a TV channel 24/7 devoted to the AFL, and pages in the paper everyday on the AFL. Few would argue that there is an AFL saturation.

I've never been completely interested in the AFL, but at least until this season it was discreet enough not to pitch its talons into the SANFL. Until this season.

An attraction for many people to the SANFL was the fact that it wasn't the AFL - it was a point of difference.

The invasion of the AFL into the SANFL thus eliminates the point of difference. As if there wasn't enough AFL on the screen already, you can now sit down, turn on the TV to see the SANFL and end up with the Crows and the Power. Really it beggars belief that it can permeate that far.

It really is amazing how much AFL people want to see, and that they can't realize that some people liked the SANFL because it didn't involve it. It's hard to put into words how baffling it is that the people who are meant to be the custodians of the South Australian game actually thought that it was a good idea to extend the AFL saturation even further and get rid of this point of difference.

I simply can't fathom the joy certain Crows and Power fans have at seeing reserves teams in the SANFL.

Watching part of the match yesterday, I thought, if the 40,000 pieces of silver a year keep the league going, then great, but really, what is the point? What is the point of the SANFL continuing if the match of the round is Crows v Power? Why not just can it and show re-runs of the real Showdown if people love the AFL teams that much.

In brief, if the SANFL is now all about AFL team v AFL team, what is the &%$#ing point?

Vent over. Cheers,

RB.
by RB
Mon May 05, 2014 11:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There is so much done to equalise sporting competitions throughout the world (drug testing, salary cap, drafts, handicaps) and what has happened to the SANFL is going the polar opposite to this. No matter which way you look at it, the introduction of two AFL Reserves teams is not fair.

There are positives and negatives and those who see a fair, even competition, as the number one consideration are rightly bemused by what has happened.

From an AFL viewpoint, the consideration of an even, fair competition is outweighed by the need for developing players and for them, currently at least, the best option is to do this in their own backyard both in terms of value for money and strength of competition. They will tell themselves that there is increased exposure to the SANFL. Dittmar said it's been great, then when asked if he'd been to an SANFL game this season, said "no, but have enjoyed watching some games on tv, especially the Clare game".

I am not convinced that the increased exposure to the SANFL via commercial TV is even close to benefiting my club enough to outweigh the negatives that come with the new format. There is no more coverage of my SANFL club than there was before. In fact, I would say there is less. I guess we'd have to wait to see the finances from this years Annual Reports to really know.

There are other ways, including having a weekly SANFL game at Adelaide Oval, that would give the competition prestige and generate interest. The use of social media and the web is more important than paying $1,000,000 to have the game shown on Ch7 - which is essentially the only benefit the AFL clubs have bought (via sponsorship) to the competition.

The Eagles vs Sturt game at Unley Oval, with a crowd of 4000, which was directly up against both Crows and Power games on the same day told me that there is enough interest in the SANFL for it to be viable without the "assistance" of AFL clubs.

What is desperately needed is the SANFL administration to apply the spirit in which 5RPH and LifeFM have to the competition to generate interest and use the capital they should have to make it high quality for the current HD generation.

I think the SANFL would be best to cut ties with Port and the Crows at the end of the season. If Port Magpies win the SANFL premiership this year, it will be an absolute disgrace.

There are other ways to keep relevance for a younger generation of footballers and an alignment between the AFL and SANFL and that is to supply Port and Crows with top up players via Under 20's to use in whatever competition they could go to (preferably AFL Reserves or at least VFL). I believe this could apply nationally with alignment of elite Under 18 sides to all AFL and State League clubs, but that is another matter. Keep Junior Football, Development/Reserves Football and State League Football - which can all still be feeders to the AFL - separate.

For now, I reckon the SANFL bite the bullet and go it alone. The mainstream media, who all seem to be official ambassadors for the Crows (http://www.afc.com.au/the-club/information/ambassadors), will give the SANFL hell, but I'm not convinced it is the mainstream media who will ensure the SANFL survives and prospers anyway.

The SANFL will never be the number one show in town, but it has a niche, and I'd love to see the SANFL and its clubs make every post a winner NOW, while there is still strong enough links to SANFL clubs for the majority of families in South Australia.
by Aerie
Tue May 13, 2014 3:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 7 - Port Magpies v South @ Alberton Oval (Sat 17/5

Another good "on track" Magpies game preview/review thread!

I never expected anything less though.
by Booney
Wed May 14, 2014 10:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 7 - Port Magpies v South @ Alberton inc Post Matc

Although Port Power Reserves totally ran over South in the second half, South supporters should not give up hope of a premiership this season. If Port adopt the same policy as in previous seasons re not allowing players to play in SANFL finals, then it will be a vastly different Port side that runs out onto the field in September. Will be interesting to see if that happens or if they allow all players to play this year. Of course, this may be slightly tempered if Port Power's season goes longer than their Reserves. Pity the SANFL changed our season to finish before that of the AwFuL this year.
Cheers

In regards to this matter, all players have to be seen by a SANFL doctor. So if they aren't playing because of injury then you can blame the SANFL doc.
by kickinit
Mon May 19, 2014 8:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/norwood-to-lead-review-of-afl-reserves-in-sanfl/story-fnig5e6k-1226937921651

The irony. My favourite bit was the part about not destroying the Sanfl.

Well derrrrr to Norwood , North and the other retarded clubs that let this year happen by not getting everything set in stone before voting for it. Wankers.
by Wedgie
Sat May 31, 2014 12:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Well played North supporters

Which official said they cant stay around for drinks? First I've heard of it.
Tex's biggest issue (even though he wasn't there) was a Crows member throwing his Crows membership at the Crows players.
Perhaps its wanker crows that need to learn how to behave?
Problem would be easily solved by kicking them out of our comp.
For over 20 years Crows wankers have told me to go back to Victoria and not made me felt welcome.
As far as I'm concerned they can **** off of from Prospect and go back to their shed.
No Crows person is welcome at Prospect. Everyone else from every other club in the world is extremely welcome though.
Can dish it out but can't take it. Wankers.
by Wedgie
Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I mean seriously, how dare the media cater for the majority of South Australian Football fans who happen to support Adelaide or Port Adelaide, what a crazy idea that is!

Any chance the "majority of SA Football fans" could turn up to support their team? That's what they all wanted remember?

While I expected things to pan out the way they have, if these glorified trial games were at least giving the SANFL good 4k average crowds (as promised) with good atmosphere, providing non SANFL people a good day out and reasons to return as well as making $ to the established clubs, then I could be turned to support, in a small way, the new era of SANFL.

However this has not happened, the product is worse, the crowds are worse, the clubs cannot be financially better off (reporting time at the end of the year will be very interesting) and the league has lost a lot of core fans who have now found something else to do on the weekends.

The clubs/administrators thought they spent some time on this in 2013, I imagine this years off season will be worse, trying to unravel the mistakes, if it is retrievable.
by Dutchy
Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Well played North supporters

Well said Mickan and West Adelaide! More proof that the sook threads on here represent a parallel universe.

Obviously we are in the minority - but put yourself in the shoes of a supporter who sees their SANFL team the same way an AFL supporter sees their AFL team.

Now imagine that next season the AFL are bringing in two new teams to "lift the standard of the competition and create more interest".

One team will be known as Victoria and wear the traditional Big V - playing out of the MCG. What a great history they have.

The other team will be known as the Allies and will only play away games. They are the team for all Australians.

These two teams get to pick 24 players each, alternatively in a draft so it is fair for both of them, from any of the AFL teams at the end of season 2014, in preparation for 2015.

Obviously there will be injuries, so they will need some top up players.

The Big V will choose their 15 players, but will only be able to pay them $5,000 per game. Except for one player over 28 who they can pay as much as they like.

The Allies will get given the worst rookies in the land from AFL clubs to do with as they please. They will also only be able to be paid $5,000 per game, except for one player over 28 who they can pay as much as they like.

Would AFL supporters have a problem with that?

Now going back to being an SANFL supporter who sees their SANFL team the same way an AFL supporter sees their AFL team. We have been able to put up with plenty of changes to the competition over the last 24 years - including a drop in general public interest and coverage. We have seen AFL listed players play most of the season for our team and then pull out of finals because the "season is too long" - whether they were original home grown or otherwise. We have seen our best players get drafted to the AFL at the end of a season, never to see them again. All of that was accepted as we knew the SANFL had a place and could not compete with the attraction of the AFL.

The changes in 2014 to the SANFL are the straw that has broken the camels back.

I want to watch my Eagles every weekend because it is something I have done since my Dad took me to games in a pusher. However, I don't want to watch an unfair competition. The SANFL is clearly an unfair competition. If that is the way they want to go, for the "good of football" overall, then expect friends and family in the crowd but don't expect supporters who are there because they have that connection that a person has with their sporting team, because that connection will be cut off knowing what they are watching isn't true or genuine.

Unless the Crows or Power Reserves have added an enormous amount to the bottom line of SANFL clubs and the SANFL through them competing, business wise, the SANFL needs to cut them immediately if they want to be an entity. Otherwise the whole competition is purely a pathway at the expense of about 40 fringe AFL players and their two AFL clubs. There are still ways the SANFL can be a pathway and still be a genuine, successful competition.

That is why those players were abused, Taylor Walker. It was nothing personal. When people can see and feel something that they hold dear to them being taken away unjustly they will react in different ways. It might not be right, but you can understand. The administration of the SANFL and its clubs need to smarten up quick smart, because once it is completely broken, it is completely broken. That could well be Grand Final Day this season and it may already be too late.
by Aerie
Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Port Adelaide butchering a legendary Australian song so they can be just like Liverpool supporters.

Is nothing sacred?
by Footy Chick
Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Suggestions for a new song for Port

Just change the lyrics to the INXS classic:

"We'll never tear up our tarps."
by Dogwatcher
Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Even the betting agencies see thru the truth of Port Adelaide. RIP Magpies
by Dutchy
Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 14 - Port v Adelaide @ Alberton Oval (Sat 26/7)

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-07-17/port-adelaide-to-wear-heritage-guernsey

Port Adelaide commemorating their 1914 Premiership & Champions of Australia team by having their Reserves wear a replica guernsey for this game.
Nice of them commemorating the history of a now defunct club. Their small way of saying sorry?
by Wedgie
Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 Tribunal News & Discussions

The issue is a player struck a spectator . I was threatened by a customer once , if I struck him or even attempted to I would have lost my job. It won't be the last time a player gets abused ...............

Spot on. Thank God the supporter (despite probably asking for it anywhere else in society) didn't fall back and do a Hookesey.

Exactly what I was thinking, if he stumbled back on the cement terracing.

As the victim of a player hearing something different to what I said I'll take his word for it, even if he did Hartlett has to realise he might not have said what he thought he heard. No place for that in the game.

Also noticable that noone in the media picked up he was a Crows supporter too. That's Crows supporters who have thrown members tickets at players this year, have elbowed an elderly spectator in the head and now taunted a player into getting struck. One common denominator on incidents this year.
by Wedgie
Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |