Search found 3 matches

Return

Re: Round 7 - Port Magpies v South @ Alberton inc Post Matc

Was disappointed that South did not get near it against Port yesterday, perhaps if Port had a group of injuries as the Crows have it might have been a more even contest, yet with the bulk of the team being professional AFL players and the rest being the SANFL Magpies players that the club wanted to keep at the end of 2013 its not real surprise that at the sheer strength that they are they are going to belt the living suitcase out of anyone who plays them.

There is no point casting blame or vitriol on the PAFC though, the SANFL presidents that voted yes were well aware that this is how there team would look and that they would likely dominate the SANFL competition, Port are only playing within the parameters the SANFL set for them. My only real hope is that when Port win the SANFL Grand Final that it be over a side that voted them into the competition and not over a side that did not.

Could be interesting to see what happens when Port play a side at the bottom of the SANFL ladder, one would think that a 100pt plus thrashing would be a strong possibility, if that does happen, hopefully they too are a side that voted them in to the competition also.
by Sojourner
Sun May 18, 2014 11:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Israel/Hamas Conflict

Interesting article on the current state of affairs in the Middle East. I read it carefully but am still none the wiser.

Reminds me a little of Europe in the late 1800s, hopefully it doesn't end up the same way (or are we already on that path?)

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/04/-sp-middle-east-politics-2014-egypt-syria-palestine-iraq-gaza

It is a good article although its gets pretty heavy, but that also is the nature of the conflict.

If we exclude Israel to just focus on the Arabs, the picture could be like this,

Arabs are split into two main groups of islam - Sunni and Shiite.

There are minority Arabs - Coptic Christians and others.

Then there are ethnic groups that are stateless, Druze and the Kurds along with President Assads Alawite group who are based in Syria.

Often the minority Sunni or Shiite Group control the majority of the other group/s in a country because of class structure.

Sunni and Shiites fought initially over control of Mecca, Located in Saudi Arabia. Mecca is central to the belief of both groups and the group that controls it has less numbers than those that dont, yet they generally have better weapons hence why Iran is not permitted nuclear weapons. Not because of fears for world safety, but for the fact that they might take control of Mecca.

Clear as mud?
by Sojourner
Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Elimination Final - South v Eagles @ AO (Sat N 30/8)

Reflecting on some of the comments here re the Eagles, I would wonder how many times in the last 15 years that they have missed the SANFL finals? I would suspect not very often if not at all! They have been a very strong club over a long period of time not unlike Central District who have also seen success over a similar time span.

WWT still managed to make the finals once again this season and there is no real suggestion that they will not be there next season.

I can understand the frustrations of West Torrens people about the club losing traditional areas to West Adelaide. Yet I put it to you that the SANFL worked hard to ensure that the areas around the SANFL clubs home grounds would be retained. History shows that WWT chose Woodville over Thebarton and moved the club in that direction, along those lines giving WWT traditional Port Adelaide territory makes more sense than allocating it to West Adelaide who have no connection there whereas Woodville very much does.

As for Godden, not many clubs would sack a coach that took their league side into the finals, I suspect that he would be given another season based on this year's performance.

My concern for WWT is not unlike some of the other SANFL clubs and that is the state of the books and how they stand in relation to the promises made to them by the AFC and PAFC in terms of increased income streams? Sacking coaches, getting the best players out of the VFL and so forth comes back to that issue. I hope that WWT have been able to break even this season, I recall that plans to renovate the club and expand the training facilities have been put on hold due to financial issues. It is my observation that this problem if it is a problem is the one that has the potential to do the club real damage as opposed to recruiting and coaching staff.
by Sojourner
Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |