Search found 187 matches

Return

Re: Eric 2014

From a former Eagles Member's perspective:

1. No members were given a vote - Slavin made the decision
2. When challenged (he actually sought me out before our 'Club Meeting') his response was "The Supporters will get used to it & in time, those who leave will all come back eventually" - I know one supporter at least who won't!
3. I have not renewed my Membership - my son too is sad that we will not be 'hanging out' with our mates in the Barry Jarman Stand - this saddens me greatly but that is the price you pay for principle
4. I said all along that if the Club had allowed the Members to vote & the decision turned out in favour of the Cows Ressies in the SANFL (as Slavin himself suggested was the overwhelming view of the WWTFC Board), then I would still be a paid up member because at least they would've had the respect to put it to the vote - they didn't, so I am not

In terms of who is to blame?
The 7 Clubs that voted Yes - no question, but...
They were not alone:
Port were very clever THIS TIME around - they allowed the Cows to be the 'fall guy', smart move after the issues of 1990.
The Media - particularly the Commercial Media, played a huge part in this. 5AA eventually refused to even allow callers on their Footy Shows who were not in favour & who had valid arguments against the move, to be heard. Channel 9 tried to 'go in the back door' & they got 'left' with the Ammos. Channel 7 get both the Cows & PAPs Reserves on 7mate, every week - not sure how much coverage the rest of the Clubs will get - time will tell but me thinks very little over time.

Personally, I think Olsen & the Cows,Rob Chapman & Steven Trigg are the MOST to blame for this - they 'drove' the agenda of a Reserves Team in the League Competition & as we know they have acted with such 'integrity' & 'aplomb' over the past decade with all things AFC, haven't they? :roll:

Clearly, having AFL Reserves Teams in any competition, SANFL or otherwise is a tremendous boost for the 2 Franchises themselves & good luck to them, they managed to get what that wanted - as have The West Coast Eagles & Freo Dockers over the border.

Unfortunately, I think the 7 SANFL Club Chiefs failed to recognise that prior to 2014, young kids could have 2 x Teams to support - an AFL & an SANFL Club. Now the chances are that many will only have 1 - an AFL Team & their Reserves side. This must surely impact on the local SANFL Clubs from a merchandising aspect if nothing else, let alone attendances, catering, etc.

The question of whether or not to 'keep up the fight'? - The battle was lost & the Corporate Giant won. I would contend that they were always going to.
Whether or not one renewed one's Club Membership in 2014 or not is immaterial, really.
What concerns me is that we seem to want to 'eat our own' as a result of what individual decision we each made - surely, that alone provides the AFL juggernaught with it's ultimate desire - "divide & conquer".

I've said it before, but the happiest person in Australia must surely be Ross Oakley.
The last 2 legitimate competitions outside of the VFL/AFL are now compromised & it is only a matter of time before they become AFLWA & AFLSA.

I hate to say this (because the wounds of 1990 did cut very deep) but perhaps Max & the SANFL made the wrong decision by 'inventing' the Adelaide Football Club. Had Port & Norwood been the 2 teams to join the expanded VFL competition, we may well still have an 8 team SANFL Competition - who knows?

What can not be questioned however, is that the SANFL will never be the same as of 2014.

Some would argue (many on here have, particularly those who support Port) that the competition was compromised as of 1991 - perhaps that's true but if we continue to argue among ourselves about who is right & who is wrong - that's somewhat pointless, isn't it?

AFC & PAP are in the competition & I would suggest here to stay - can't see anything changing on that front, sorry UKFan :(
Either one accepts it & continues to support one's Club - or you don't.
But because you choose to & I choose not to, doesn't make you (or I) "Holly than Thou".
Personally, I've chosen to support the competition (by going to various grounds & paying an Entry Fee) rather than supporting the Club that failed to allow me a say in their decision. Doesn't make me better than anyone, just my preference.

An Anti-Cows CS would be fun though, don't you think? :lol:

Sorry, Rant over :oops:
by LPH
Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South vs West Round 1

Hey Guys,

As promised (as a result of your Club's NO Vote) - just purchased my 3 Game Membership of SAFC for 2014 :D
Also signed up my Daughter for 'Cub' Membership.

Will be attending BOTH Cows Reserves games @ Noarlunga & hope to see Southee & the rest of you in the bar before these games :D - come & say Hi.
Go You Panthers ;)
by LPH
Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 3 Post Match - Eagles v Power

Biggest thing I took out of the day was the distinct lack of emotion of Paul Stewart when he finally managed to slot a goal today, a piss weak high five to a team mate like he was embarrassed to kick one against his former club :oops:

The Club that devloped him as a Junior into the AFL listed player he is, you mean... :roll:
by LPH
Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glenelg vs Crows Reserves - Post Game

Crowd number was very surprising - have to say that the atmosphere wasn't what you'd expect from a 9000+ crowd however.
(I know, I know, whinge, whinge, whinge) - but it's true.

I think it is fair to suggest that the large attendance was due to a number of factors & will be interesting to see the 'return' fixture crowd.
Walker coming back, ANZAC Day Public Holiday, No local AFL games, Night Game.
That said, it was 'pleasing' to see a bumper crowd but in terms of revenue; they didn't have to pay to get in do they?

If there was any doubt about the Cows Reserves Team being about 'development' - taking Walker off toward the end of the 3rd Quarter (I don't recall seeing him in the last) after he kicked his 3rd goal to get them within 3 pts was a significant pointer to the 'Integrity' question.

The point must also be made that the difference in 'top up' players between the Cows & PAPs Reserves is massive.
The Cows have Ammos who clearly have no idea & aren't up to the 'pace' of SANFL, whilst Port have tried & tested players such as Summerton & the like. What the Cows did show was their ability to move the ball out of defence (as a result of many players on the AFL list & their obvious advantage in speed & pace) was significantly better than Glenelg.

Had fun with what Snouts were there - one Cows supporter behind us was very vocal initially but surprisingly he didn't stay around long :roll:
Most Cows supporters appeared reluctant to get behind their team - despite the numbers.
A bit like what Wedgie said about the North game; they appeared somewhat embarrassed to be there.

Great to catch up with Steve & to talk footy with Shane, Dave, Darren & Gerry
Bays looked pretty good actually - they moved the ball well & obviously playing at home helped them.

Is the 'doomsday' idea dead?
I still think we need to wait until 1/2 way through the season to judge, but 9000+ people last night suggests perhaps @ this stage.
by LPH
Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows reserves supporters

Not sure how often one needs to say that one doesn't want EITHER of them in the competition :?
by LPH
Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South Adelaide - more adaptable to change than a virus

I reckon a Port Reserves v South Adelaide Grand Final would be fantastic. :D

South being most people's "2nd Team" (ala Woodville in '86) & one of the "No Voters" would draw many 'neutrals' to Adelaide Oval, wouldn't they?
PAP Reserves would also get plenty.

We could see 40K @ the GF again & standing room @ the footy on the Hill.
by LPH
Thu May 01, 2014 12:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R5 - Adelaide v Port Reserves Post Match

Love how it was promoted as a "Showdown" & that the "rivalry continues".
How can Port "have it both ways"? - This 'rivalry' against this opponent & the 'rivalry' against traditional rivals Norwood in the 1st week.
Are they the Magpies or the Power?
by LPH
Sun May 04, 2014 9:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 8 - South v Adelaide @ Hickinbotham (Sun 25/5)

Curtain Raiser is SFL U/21s v Kangroo Island U/21s.

Panthers to win.
LPH to be evicted.
by LPH
Tue May 20, 2014 2:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

If Port don't like the deal to play @ Adelaide Oval (which astounds me somewhat, considering THEY were the one's driving the whole thing, due to a supposed "poor Stadium deal at Footy Park"), why not get Koch to start developing Alberton?

Make it a Stadium like Geelong have.
Borrow some money from a BANK (like the rest of us have to do if we want to 'invest' in Home/Site improvements) & develop your OWN Stadium.
That way you can charge your supporters $2.50 for a Pie instead of the $5.50 @ AO.
Of course, that's going to make it difficult to REPAY your debt - unlike the debt that's been 'written off' for the 'Magpies' & the borrowings from the SANFL for the years of shite attendances @ AFL Games.

Sheesh... Port's constant moan about 'Stadium Deals' is becoming tiresome - it's always everybody else's fault but your own FFS!
You supposedly have 50,000 f**king members - how can you NOT be making money?
by LPH
Thu May 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Channel 7 announced by SANFL as preferred telecast partn

The comment was not directed @ him - there were many on here (& elsewhere) that had lots to say but weren't involved with Gary, Shane or Myself out there bringing attention to the issue.
by LPH
Wed May 28, 2014 10:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

(Apologies LPH, not having a dig mate. But I would be suprised if the Eagles weren't still in your heart). You might give up on your club, but you don't change aligiances to another club. If you do, then just maybe you weren't in love in the first place.

It's only my opinion but I would not be suprised if most others felt pretty much the same.

You are correct... of course I still watch/listen for & read about their performances.
I played @ WTFC - I will always be aligned with them.
My son is still a Member - he, more than anyone, has a go at me for removing my 'support'/membership.

As I say to him; "It is not that I don't want to be seen 'following' WWTFC.
What I disliked about the process was the vote without giving the Members a say."

Our 2 Clubs, more than anyone else, were affected more by the advent of AFL in SA - we merged.
Yes. Torrens had financial issues for most of the 1980's & yes, Woodville were an under performing Club, on field.

As a young bloke, I would ride my bike from West Lakes to Thebby (& back) for training every Sunday Morning.
The Club I loved, died - becoming another.
That 'other Club' continued to have factions - the 1993 Flag was good but really, it was a 'gift' because of the merger (player base, etc.) - WWTFC also played in all Grade Grand Finals, no doubt as a result of the 'strength' of player-pool.

During this time, the new entity sent letters to supporters - urging Membership Monies & Sponsorship.
This continues today.
People such as myself did 'put our hands in our pockets' - contributing to the financial success of the Club.
We did this gladly.

The 2006 Flag, I believe, ended the 'division' between WFC & WTFC supporters - that Flag was a tremendous feeling, for the whole Club.
I truly felt that the 'stigma' (internally at least) of the merger was now put to bed & the Club could move onward & upward as One.
The Club continued to seek financial support from its members & supporters - & I continued to do so.

2011 Flag was a little different - they came back from losing the Qualifying Final to Norwood, to winning the GF by 3 pts - Great Day for 'us'.

Of course I still have 'love' for that Club - I have 'history' with it.
But for them NOT to so much as ask for input from its members before making a decision as big as the decision for the 2 original Clubs to merge, is IMHO the height of arrogance & disrespect - particularly after seeking our financial support for so many years.
Remember, a lot of WTFC & WFC supporters 'walked away' in 1990 - those of us who stayed, I would contend, deserved better than to be told by Slaven & the Club "We are making the decision without you."

I have stated before; If the Club had put it to the vote (& naturally I would've voted "No") & the result was in favour (even 50.1% Yes), then I would've accepted the decision of the MEMBERS & although not happy, continued to financially support the Club & continue to attend games at Woodville Oval.
But they didn't have that respect - so they don't get my support.

I have chosen to give that financial support to SAFC - I enjoy going to the footy.
The 'passion' is not the same - but my daughter has always supported "Panthers", so that makes it easier.

So, JTC - Yes, you are right (to a degree).
I hope the above explains it somewhat :)
by LPH
Fri May 30, 2014 12:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 9 - Sturt v South Adelaide - POST MATCH

Interesting game of footy.
South are a VERY frustrating team to follow - quite frankly, I can't believe the supporters keep fronting up, week after week!
How do they do it?
I dropped my Boy off @ Woodville (as he continues to follow WWTFC - I am a traitor apparently) & went out to Unley.
One of the great things about being part of this Forum, is meeting fellow SANFL supporters from opposition Clubs - thanks to Andrew & Pino (Sturt supporters) for great conversation & Beers :D
South are a very difficult team to 'support' - the amount of times the forward 50 was vacant, was astounding!

Sturt played well - am impressed by them.
Tom Harms had great game in defence - but South's forward line is struggling big time.

I have to admit (& it has nothing to do with the performances) it is difficult to have the same 'passion' for another team.
I find myself 'barracking' for them but the emotion is not the same.
I think my interest in SANFL is slowly diminishing & that upsets me.

Morphettville may well get my 'full-time' patronage as of 2015, unfortunately :(
by LPH
Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: World Cup - Brazil 2014

Love it MagpiesPower :lol: :lol: :lol:

"And there's the Coked up tourists who probably won't remember that goal"

GOLD :lol:
by LPH
Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is the BEST World Cup I've seen - watched every one intently since Spain '82.
The rise of the 'minnows' is what's great about it.
The Africans & Asians are mixing it with the best from Sth America & Europe.
The story of the World Cup so far is Costa Rica - will top the most difficult Group, beating the Semi Finalists from 2010 & Winners from 2006.
Ghana were superb this morning v Germany.
Nigeria & Ivory Coast could well go through to 2nd Round.
Holland must get a point from Chile to avoid Brazil in next round too.
Loving this Tournament :D
by LPH
Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sturt taking the piss?

I don't see it as taking the piss @ all.
Just enhancing the traditional 'wharfie' roots of the 2 err 1 err 2 or is it 1 Club(s). 8)
Looks like a Buoy floating on water (the colour of the Port River after ICI have emptied there waste products) with a Magpie - seems OK to me. ;)

Perhaps they could adopt this logo next year, modified with a fist stabbing a lightning bolt through the heart of the Magpie?
by LPH
Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Well played North supporters

The facts are that they are NOT welcome in the competition.
I don't believe that personal attacks would be the order of the day, just the usual 'booing' & banter.

Sheesh, if they can't handle a few hundred North Groggies having a go, imagine them @ Docklands with Collingwood or Carlton Fans :lol:
Suck it up you over rated primadonnas!
by LPH
Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Rule Number 1: Never, ever, write off Zee Germans @ a Major Championship
by LPH
Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 12 - Sturt v Port - POST GAME Discussion

kickinit wrote:Didn't you know that it is all PAFC fault.

Finally... Clarity at long last 8)
by LPH
Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Well played North supporters

I can - they're broke & need all the support they can muster... calling Kim Russell 8)
by LPH
Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

ESPN 30 for 30 Series of Docos - "The Two Escobars"

Fantastic story - talks about how Pablo (the drug baron) controlled football in Colombia & how Andreas was 'clean cut' Captain of National Team.
Goes through the whole thing - do yourself a favour & watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOZvUrY9CfQ&list=PLLvjX3EbP-nOArJx55yPcctWD-9Jgrfj1
by LPH
Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 13 - South v Adelaide @ Hickinbotham Oval (Sat 12/

South were pathetic & inept all day.
Too many passengers & quite frankly they were never in the contest.
Very disappointing :(
by LPH
Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glenelg Senior Coach 2014

Any man who hits a woman is NOT a 'Man' but a coward, period!
by LPH
Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes, no doubt Port Adelaide people will be very happy with the whole scenario.
Why wouldn't they be?
They haven't lost anything - expect the $$$ that were used to keep the Magpies afloat this Century.
I am sure they are extremely happy - zero in 2013 to hero in 2014 :roll:
by LPH
Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'd like to acknowledge bennymacca's contribution to the 'push' toward 100 pages.
We stagnated for quite some time between 70 odd & the low '90s but now we are powering toward the 'ton'.
Bat soon to be raised :D
by LPH
Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Rezoning

"How's the hair? The hair OK? What about the sun tan?"
"Brown as a berry, Rich"
by LPH
Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 18 - South v Sturt @ Hickinbotham Oval (Sat 23/8)

3rd quarter was the difference.
Sturt looked good in 1st half - thought they kept South in the game in the 2nd term.

That said, South mucked around with the ball - kicking sideways & backwards, that was awful footy IMHO.
Then the change in the 3rd was completely different, started going direct & 'bugger me', kicked goals.
They will need to do that next week, if they hope to progress to the 1st Semi Final.

Go win though :D
by LPH
Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Elimination Final - South v Eagles @ AO (Sat N 30/8)

Go Panthers!!! 8)

Smash 'Slaven's Sell Outs' :evil:

Have you really changed your allegiance with such passion in that short a time frame?

It's a genuine question LPH.

Here's what I wrote in another thread - should answer your genuine question:

OK... having already contacted my friends (spent 12 seasons straight, attending with them), I will be attending & looking forward to their company.
Although, I will no doubt be copping a bit all evening.

I am pleased that I can see Luke Powell's last game - yes, I think South will win.
Both my kids will also be attending - Boy is still an Eagles supporter, Daughter a Panther 8)

To answer the question - yes, it will be an interesting 'internal struggle'.
That said, I will be supporting South - as I have all year.
Whilst Slaven (& his cronies) are still 'at the helm', I can not bring myself to support WWTFC - its simply a matter of principle.

2015? - At this stage it appears unlikely that I will continue to follow, support or contribute financially to the SANFL.
My interest in the SANFL is certainly diminishing quickly - which upsets me because it has been a significant part of my life for 40 odd years.

Some of my fondest memories are following my late Father around to suburban grounds when he was umpiring U19s, Reserves & League in the 70's & 80's. I saw Andrew Jarman as a 15 yr old dominate in a losing U17's Grand Final v Port @ Woodville Oval. I literally 'bumped' into Justin Madden's stomach (accidentally) in the 'tunnel' before a State of Origin game @ Footy Park - when the Teal Cup Team played Norwood U19s in the Curtain Raiser. I was in the Woodville Cheer Squad during the 1986 1st Semi Final v Port. I did the scoreboard @ Thebarton Oval for a 'Super Rules' season - remember 7 pts for a drop kick goal? I watched Norwood win 4 or 5 straight U17's Grand Finals in the early '80s - Stafford was coach, wasn't he JK? I didn't miss a Grand Final from '76 (when Dad put me over the fence on the outer wing, to sit on the concrete step) to North's Flag in 1987. Dad did the International Rules Game in '86, when I witnessed the parachutist hit the Concourse Roof in the driving rain & howling wind before the game. I remember lining up for a hotdog & chips @ the kiosk on the Western Wing (1979, I think?) when the Centrals & Port Cheer Squads 'clashed' when they were changing ends - a scared 8 yr old. Going to Norwood Oval mid-week to watch Ardath Cup & Escort Cup games - I recall that the Independent Schools would play the State High Schools as curtain raisers for a number of years. Unley Oval, in the 'bows' of the Grand Stand - there were stairs to the change rooms with pictures in frames on the walls of the 60's & 70's stars & Premiership photos. I worked the 'trades' one season @ Footy Park "Pies, Pasties, Chicko Rolls & Orange Juice". Kicked the Brown Plastic Footys out @ the 1st Semi Final, as part of the WTFC Special Squad. Played Mini League @ Footy Park twice, when they 'cut the ground' across widthwise. In recent times, sharing 'Boys Days @ the Footy' with my son & the Grand Finals & Premierships - wonderful. I could go on forever - perhaps I have too much already.

But these experiences are what the SANFL has been to me - sadly, that has gone with the addition of AFL Reserves.
This week end could be it - I can't make the following week, as will be in Melbourne for my son's Swimming.

So, to answer you question JTC & dedja - Yeah, it will be a difficult evening on Saturday Night.
Although, alcohol will no doubt ease the pain somewhat ;)
by LPH
Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They have a database of all Phone Numbers previously used to call in.
They know which callers, etc. - they screen who is allowed to talk & for how long.
by LPH
Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final - Port v South @ Adelaide Oval (Sun 14

Go Panthers - huge game for the Club.
"There Are No Limits"
Would love to see them in the GF - Integrity.

Gotch coach of the year?
by LPH
Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm not sure what is more overwhelming, your arrogance or your illiteracy? :?
by LPH
Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final - Port v South @ Adelaide Oval (Sun 14

Bad Luck SAFC ... a fine season, the Club's best (ironically) since the BIGGEST overhaul in SA Football - the advent of an AFL Team in 1991.

Personally, having supported this ORIGINAL SANFL (& SAFA) Football Club this year, I feel for the existing & long suffering supporters that have done so, long before I (& others) came to your Club. You should be very proud of your Club, its Players & its Coaching Staff.
To fall at the 'final hurdle', to a team full of Professionals is a bitter blow but you should be optimistic for 2015 & beyond.
Ultimately, (again, somewhat ironically) losing the 2 games to the 'other bunch of Professionals' probably cost you the Double Chance & quite possibly a shot @ the Flag next week.

You can stand tall, however, as your Club has been Principled, Valiant & more than Competitive throughout 2014.
by LPH
Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

BANG!!! Sanderson just got hit by the Karma Bus! :lol:
by LPH
Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

38k+ is a very good Crowd.
SANFL would be very happy with that, one would think?
by LPH
Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Auch De Leiber!!!

Unt Norvood v Pover Zeconds aus de Curtain Vaser!
by LPH
Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R u to b a member of ur favourite SANFL club in 2015?

No sure if I'll go to any games - interest has certainly waned significantly. :(

But I will renew my SAFC Membership - they deserve my financial support if not my verbal :)
by LPH
Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Gotta love how Bickley keeps referring to the AFL Clubs in the SANFL as "The State League Teams" :roll:

Just on that... What happened to McDermott?
I hadn't listened for ages & turned it on a couple of weeks ago & the 'bloke with the best head for radio' is gone!

I think many agree with Cornes' article but really, is anyone listening anymore?
The AFL & its AFL Clubs will get what they want - they have so far :evil:
by LPH
Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Club Finances

Port supporters questioning financial handouts & 'helping hands' given to other Clubs?
Interesting...
by LPH
Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glenelg Senior Coach 2014/15

The great thing about Social Media & Online Forums such as this, is (amongst all the trolling, payouts, wind ups, etc.) GEMS of knowledge are provided too. Having read much of the above, personally I think The Bays did the RIGHT thing by themselves in not suspending/sacking him until now. They certainly, if nothing else, saved themselves some dough. Whether or not they made the correct decision in appointing Stevens in the 1st place can be debated, but their actions in this particular instance have been prudent IMHO.

Now, back to 'Bay Bashing' you lot :lol: ;)

BTW, glad you changed your 'symbols' back dedja :D
by LPH
Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re:

How ironic that BOTH Bickley & Rowe were talking about 'Integrity' & 'Compromise' tonight?
Bickley: "What about the integrity of the competition if the Crows miss the finals on percentage because Carlton or Collingwood played Essendon in the first 6 weeks of the year & won be 25 goals?"
Rowe: "Taking top up players out of another competition is unfair"

WTF?
We were raising these very issues 12 months ago, but the responses were along the lines of; "evolve", "good for the competition", "everybody wins", "great deal", etc. ad nausium ... Pfft :roll:
by LPH
Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Club Memberships

Might make my way around to all grounds ( except Woodville & Alberton) @ least once this season - probably when each Club plays the Cows.
... thereby giving tacit support to the presence of interlopers in Our League.

Why not go and see two of the 8 dinkum teams each week?

Incidentally still not a member of any SANFL club myself.

The clubs need members so why not join up . Your club needs members more than most .Get behind your club if you care I say.
If you cared, why not list your club. Too embarrassed to say your an ex Woodville and/or West Torrens barracker ?

I haven't been an Eagles fan for over a year!
Haven't you been listening?

Embarrassed?
Absolutely! Embarrassed how a Club could 'roll over' so meekly but more importantly, embarrassed that they failed to allow their loyal paying members (of which I was one for 15 seasons!) to vote on the issue of AFL Reserves Teams.
Embarrassed, that I was taken for a ride, year after year, when letters were sent (post Merger) to "Help save the Club" ... "You are important to us" ... "Membership shows loyalty" ... blah, blah, blah

South got my money (as promised) last season, due to their loyalty to the SANFL Competition, but it wasn't the same supporting them - no passion, voice only. No connection with the Club, except that my daughter supports them.

Embarrassed?
That I have all but given up on a competition that I have supported for over 35 yrs, Absolutely!

Embarrassed?
That the pain of losing friends over my stance against the Club I have loved - perhaps.

Embarrassed that I don't show a 'logo' on an Avatar? Please.
by LPH
Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

LOL ... Damned if I do, Damned if I don't
by LPH
Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Reserve sides and those extra crowd predictions

Yep, the sanfl's prestige took a huge blow accepting those two bastard children. This site is dead now, interest at games is like amateur comp or worse at times.
2013 marked the beginning of the rot. With the power openly flaunting the rules, everyone who didn't have their head up their arse knew where things were headed and interest dropped significantly. 2014 was masked by the novelty of it all , but this year will reveal the future trend.

The supporters of the introduction of the 'Interlopers' always point to the Crowd Numbers & Averages for 2014, but they fail to acknowledge (& it was proven last night @ The Bay) was the 'novelty factor' & the 'Walker Game' & 'Clare Showdown' attendances 'fudging' the figures.
I went to the Cows v Bays game last year (in similar conditions & the same night, I might add) - what was the crowd this year? At best, 2500?
That's a drop of 7500 on last years Season Total, right there.

This is NOT whinging - this is FACT.
Port were very clever - they let Trigg & Chapman do the leg work by lying to the Directors & those fools in charge (Yes, YOU - Kurt, Chiggy, etc) bought it hook, line & sinker! Then had the audacity to expect paying members to accept YOUR decisions with ZERO consultation & continue to put their hands into their wallets - Pfft.

Now can we please merge this thread into the other one, so we can push on to Bradman & Taylor's 334?
by LPH
Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Alas, the damage is done me thinks :(

If that is true about Rowe - he's as big a hypocrite as his predecessor!
"This is good for football in SA"
"It must happen, the right thing to do"
"The competition will grow & become stronger"

Sound familiar Stephen?
Pfft...
by LPH
Tue May 12, 2015 8:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Jim05 wrote:I would pretty much guarantee a significant crowd increase next year if the two were booted out

What HE said!
by LPH
Wed May 13, 2015 7:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kudos to you bennymacca - takes a Man to admit he was wrong.

Some great points made by many, lately, on this thread.
To add my bit, in terms of Club income:
From my perspective, its not just the Membership Money they don't get from me or my son, now that we don't go to Woodville.
Food - from concession stand, Drink - Beer over the bar.

From other grounds; money through the TAB & over the Bar - at least $100 turnover through TABs (West, Port) - not to mention Local Pubs (Woodville, Holdfast, Cremorne, Pt Noarlunga, the one on corner of Regency & Prospect Rds - can't recall name), sure these aren't the Clubs but local economy & no doubt sponsors of the Clubs.

The reduced number of Members traveling throughout the Suburban Grounds & spending cash MUST have an impact, surely?

On the Eagles Members @ the meeting - I pointed that fact "... 60+ yr olds" out to Kurt before the meeting & he only shrugged.

To a man, the CEOs & Directors severely underestimated the anti-AFL sentiment, believing that we were 'loons' - they made a fatal mistake because they could well have signed off on their own mortality, by believing the lies. They were warned, but only saw the $50K. :(
by LPH
Tue May 19, 2015 7:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2015 Attendance Comparisons Thread

Getting close to that magical 1,000 or less fans at SANFL games as predicted by some on this site we are not very far behind the WAFL now.

Meanwhile crowds are up at grassroots footy, is there any need for the SANFL anymore?

Dutch, wash your mouth out!
Where else will the AFL Reserves play?
Ammos? :roll:
by LPH
Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Can't say they weren't given fair warning :(

"You'll be back" - how's that working for ya Kurt?

Sad days indeed :(
by LPH
Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This forum is just ridiculous. This pretty much sums up in SA..... Backwards.

In SA?

This AFL Ressies thing has had the same impact in Melbourne & in Perth mate.
Please, if you are going to make comment - at least make informed comment.
(Unless it is purely a troll).

The WAFL fans hate the fact EPFC has become West Coast's bitch & Peel ( who the hell were they anyway?) are Freo's feeder Team.
Having been to the VFL (standard is good BTW) the Crowds are less there than here & they've got more teams & more population.

The SANFL was a genuine alternative competition for FOOTY Fans, disillusioned with the 'Corporate Grab' that is AFL.
Unfortunately, the point of difference that existed pre-2014 has gone & with it the Crowds. :(
by LPH
Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |