Search found 14 matches

Return

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH) 2014/15.

40 over one dayers, 1pm until 6pm. God's gift to cricketers.

Short days, juniors don't run into senior start times, still time for good players to make a ton, get to bat/bowl every single week, no full days in the field, sensible over rate so don't finish at 7pm.

Oh, but the spinners won't bowl. Well bowl them then. Captains choose who bowls.

Oh, but the younger blokes won't get a bat. Well bat them then. Captains choose the batting order.

Oh, but you get more time to bat with two dayers. No you don't. Teams get 80 overs per fortnight to bat no matter if it's one or two dayers.

Oh, but it's not real cricket. Neither are two dayers. Real cricket is five days long, goes from 11 til 6 and still might end in a draw after all that time.

Oh, but we'll create a generation of sloggers. Better to create a generation that don't play at all?
by Tony Clifton
Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Central Division

First time poster but long time reader.No offense buy I think you guys are barking up the wrong when it comes to increasing the points per club,let me explain: If you have say 60 country clubs state wide(just a figure for the demonstration) & they all have say 13 points each this would possibly allow them all in theory to "recruit" between 3 & 4 quality players each.This means that the clubs are looking at recruiting somewhere between 180 & 240 players state wide.Now for arguments sake lets assume that there is a pool of180 talented players willing to be recruited at the right price,Now in this case demand (IE the clubs) outstrips Supply(the recruits) and the recruits can name their price.Now if you drop the points to 10 per club, and the clubs could only recruit 2 or possibly 3 players & the pool of recruits stays the same then supply will outstrip demand & the price per recruit will drop.
I don't agree that this will make the players worth more as I think clubs will be more cautious with their recruiting and will opt to recruit as many players as they can,which would mean going for 3 point players instead of 4 point players .If you still think I am talking crap(and you are entitled to your opinion) then the best example I can give of extra points driving up player payments is in my own league the Kowree-Naracoorte-Tatiara league. This season, 2014 the two clubs with biggest spend were the two who had the most points(16),these being Padthaway & Kaniva-Leeor.In fact it's common knowledge around the league that Padthaway spent somewhere between $250,000 & $300,000!!
The points system works but it needs to be tweaked.Chhers
by CouchExpert
Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH) 2014/15.

Good to see that we are getting a reasonably comprehensive coverage and updates for the A&EH on their website. Here is a link - http://aehca.sa.cricket.com.au/ - Good to see this level of coverage, as opposed to the tripe in the Courier!

Covering not only the A Grade, but all senior grades as well. I know that one of the A Grade umps did something last year, but it only covered A Grade. To be honest I don't think English was the guy's first language, it was awful to read!
by Stinga
Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Echunga won the flag in a nutshell because after round 4 they got Aish and another quality player who I cant remember his surname back. Take those 2 players out of the equation and NO flag - simple. We would then not be wasting our time having this dribble on here. The HFL is one of the strongest leagues in the state and a very high quality with or without Echunga. If you thing the HFL have not done their homework re any legal scenario then Echunga you are foolhardy. Your club helped make the rules now be big enough to admit your club has major flaws in many ways that cant be mentioned due to possible litigation and abide by the rules. Wether it is right or wrong is not the point here. The integrity of the rules and by laws is.

Yeah and if my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle... Ridiculous argument... They won it.
by woodublieve12
Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Been away for a while and just reading through about ten pages of comments, there seems to be a lot of people on here who think it is stupid to demote Echunga after the win but that "Rules are Rules".
I have to ask, how long ago were these rules written?
Because with the points system you would almost say it's lawfully wrong to allocate different recruiting points to each club in the Central Division and would be even worse to increase a clubs points allocation mid season.
Let's have some common sense here, surely the club coming up should have the most points? Basically the league have helped TV stay in Central Division by allocating them more points than Echunga? Surely there is a legal challenge right there???
How do you make your B grade side better? BY either recruiting better A graders or by recruiting better B graders. So giving TV more points allows them to have a stronger B grade side!
Look at the SAAFL, most B grade sides struggle the first year of promotion and I think it would be similar to the junior sides, you are going into a better league, of course it's going to be harder to win games.
Echunga did exactly what they should have done by playing players down in the B grade, it's within the rules, just not the spirit of the game which is the fault of the rules.
From a clubs point of view if you are coming up to the Central League and feel you may struggle to win in the A grade would you not be better off when you play the better A grade sides to simply play your A grade side in the B grade to ensure 5 points? Keep those juniors who would normally play senior football down in their respective junior sides to try and win points there? Don't allow kids who play for Sturt or whoever to play for their league club that week and play for Echunga to win?
People complain that their B grade got belted, how would the clubs feel if Echunga played their A grade side in B grade and vice versa?
This is what the rules may force clubs to do to stay in the Central League, which is a joke.
The rules need to be changed regardless.
by Panther32
Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

As an outsider, I really do think the HFL have set themselves up here. They promote clubs based solely on A-Grade performance, then relegate based on the success of the whole club. Until they work out which one they value more, and promote and relegate on the same criteria, then they'll continue have issues with this in the future.
by Pag
Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sydney Swans

I'm hoping there might be some fellow Swans members in the SA Footy community who might be able to help me out? My dad is a lifelong Swans supporter but his health has deteriorated quite rapidly in the last 12 months. I'd love to take him to the Grand Final (should the Swans knock over the Cats on Friday night) but I'm only entitled to register for one ticket. If there's anyone out there who'd be happy to provide their membership barcode number I'd be eternally grateful. Feel free to PM me if you're able to help out. Cheers
Would love to help mate, but unfortunately can't
by woodublieve12
Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

A&EHCA Mid Year Review
The 1st half of the season has certainly brought plenty of surprises with it which is great for the comp even tho the Premiership race may be already down to 4 teams tho L Creek currently 5th could still challenge if they get their act together on a more consistent basis but that's a BIG IF.

1/ Strath 30 pts Strath have been a BIG mover this season, currently sitting on top of the table. Having missed the finals the previous 2 seasons, they'd be desperate to return to Finals action and are on track to do so. Fielding much the same team as previous seasons, they've produced a lot more consistent effort so far and are certainly a genuine contender.
Highlight - Their 9 wicket demolition over fellow ladder leader Hahndorf
Lowlight - Nothing of note as their only 2 losses to Nairne & Woodside were narrow defeats

Rating - 9

2/ Hahndorf 30 Pts Hahndorf on returning to A Grade cricket last season with only 2 wins have taken the A Grade by storm this season on the back of some aggressive recruiting, namely the Tait brothers whose miserly bowling performances week in week out have been a key component of their success so far. With some added depth to their batting line up they are certainly a genuine chance of going from bottom to Top in i year.
Highlight - Becoming the Hunted rather than easybeats
Lowlight - Their 9 wicket loss to Strathalbyn certainly was a reality check for them along with another miserable batting performance in their last game against Woodside. Both losses to potential fellow finalists but they were hammerings

Rating - 8.5

3/ Nairne 28 Pts The Goliath of A&EHCA over the past 10 seasons (9 Flags) are certainly very vulnerable this season on the back of losing plenty of experienced players. Having said that they're still a handy team and have done well to be in the top group of contenders. Few tipsters would be picking them for the Flag but they have overcome the odds a few times in those 9 flags so would be dangerous to count them out.
Highlight - Their Incredible win over Woodside just 2 rounds ago. Defending 1 run with 3 balls to be bowled they took a team Hat Trick to deny Woodside the win
Lowlight - Their last Round loss to Strath. With top spot up for grabs, Nairne crumbled with the bat and suffered a comprehensive 9 wicket flogging to Strath.

Rating - 7.5

4/ Woodside 28 Pts A perennial finalist (never missed so far in their 8th season in A&EHCA) are on track again to have a crack for the flag. A shock loss to B/C and a choke against Nairne have cost them being clear leaders on Top
Highlight - Bouncing back from a shock loss against B/C when the next week they grinded out 133 against the Creeks on a touch pitch then embarrassed the Tigers, skittling them for 33
Lowlight - Their humiliating loss to new comers Bremer Callington at Woodside where they were hammered by 8 wickets.

Rating - 7

5/ Lang Creek 22 Pts The only team from outside the current 4 with a chance to make the Finals. A regular finalist in recent seasons, the Creeks are paying the price in not being able to field a consistent side which have cost them dearly on several occasions. Are certainly capable of challenging for the flag but need to make the Finals 1st which will be a challenge for them
Highlight - Their narrow 2 run win over Lobethal 2 rounds ago which has kept their season alive
Lowlight - There are 2 Major ones. Their loss to new comers Mt Barker after seemingly having the game wrapped up and then their embarrassing effort with the bat against Woodside in being bowled out for 33 :oops:

Rating - 5

6/ Bremer Callington 18 Pts - Have had a bit of a roller coaster return to A Grade but overall would have to be reasonably happy. Need to find some more consistent efforts with the bat to support their bowling which has been relatively impressive.
Highlight - Their 8 wicket DEMOLITION of Woodside was one of the biggest upsets in recent memory
Lowlight - After working hard to restrict L Creek to 203 on a road at the Creek last round, B/Cally capitulated for only 18 in less than 12 overs :shock: :oops:

Rating - 7.5

7/ Wistow 16 Pts Having been cellar dwellers in recent years , there have been signs of improvement in recent times. 4 wins so far have been a reasonable return and whilst they wont be a finals contender this year, they'd be desperate to cause and upset or 2 before seasons end to build on some momentum in coming years
Highlight - A very solid win over Lobethal earlier in the season who at the time would have been expected to be a major player come finals time
Lowlight - Nothing of note. Have been pretty competitive in all their losses.

Rating - 7

8/ Lobethal 4 Pts Without a shadow of doubt the biggest loser for the season so far as they have plummeted down the ratings. Being a semi finalist the last 2 seasons and with a young and improving list, they would have expected to be a major player this season but instead have had a season from hell so far and cant take a trick. Playing for pride the next few months
Highlight - Bowled Mt Barker out for 34 in their only win
Lowlight - Having their win against B/Cally taken away from them on an administration technicality :oops:

Rating - 2

9/ Mt Barker 4 Pts Was always going to be a tough gig for them coming back into A Grade. Have copped a few hammerings in amongst some competitive performances. will be interesting to see how they finish off the season.
Highlight - Their only win against the Creeks. Chasing 262 and being in trouble at 5/137, they took advantage of a depleted Creek bowling attack that day to cruise in for the victory by 4 wickets
Lowlight - There are 3 . Bowled out for 34 v Lobey. Conceded 4/356 against Hahndorf. And losing to B/Cally on the last ball of the match after Cally put on 48 for the last wicket to steal the win from the jaws of defeat

Rating - 4.5
by jackpot jim
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Why is a true cricket surface?

There is no possible way you could have turf pitches in the Adelaide Hills, you wouldn't play until December

I disagree with that, I appreciate whilst it gets pretty wet in the hills with decent covers, suitable drainage and enough helpers you could have turf pitches, it doesn’t stop there being turf pitches in the uk and Ireland. I think the main stumbling block is that cricket is often seen as a periphery sport by many and so getting the funding and the volunteers is very hard, whereas concrete decks are much less cost and labour intensive.
by Buffet bowler
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

2 Rounds to go in A&EHCA and the Premiership race is wide open with 5 genuine contenders with the current FORM side of the comp Lobethal unable to make the Finals despite winning their last 6 matches which have included wins over Hahndorf, Strath & Nairne.

A Grade Table

Woodside 48
Hahndorf 46
Strath 46
Nairne 40
L Creek 38

Lobethal 28
Brem/Call 26
Wistow 16
Mt Barker 4

Woodside or Hahndorf seem the most likely of the Top 3 to be Minor Premiers tho Strath are still a slight chance but unlikely.

The most interesting battle is between Nairne & L Creek for 4th spot. Nairne have not missed Finals since 2007/08 but are being put under huge pressure by the Creeks who have got their shit together the last 3 weeks with 3 fantastic wins in what have basically been all Elimination Finals. They started with an upset win over Hahndorf, followed by a courageous win over Wistow despite fielding a depleted team and then last Saturday narrowly won over Nairne who blew their chance to put a lock on 4th spot but have now left the door ajar
Simply put, the Creeks to get in need to win 1 game more than Nairne in last 2 rounds.
Both teams have tough games to finish off with
Nairne play Woodside and Hahndorf whilst Creeks host the in form Lobethal followed by a trip up the road to Strathalbyn.

Been a long while since the A Grade comp has been this competitive with very little between the top 6 teams and whilst the bottom 3 have struggled a bit, they all have had at least 1 upset win over a top 6 side.
Wistow beat Lobethal in round 6
Brem / Call thrashed Woodside in round 8 :shock:
Mt Barker chased down 261 against the Creeks in round 7 :shock: :shock:

If the forecast Temp for Adelaide stays at 40c for Saturday ALL Grades will be called off with the exception of the A Grade which will still go ahead albeit under the reduced 35 per side format instead of 45.
Promises to be a very intriguing last 4 weeks of the season
by jackpot jim
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great Southern Football League

The result of the Willunga - Victor game was always gonna have a huge bearing on their respective chances come finals and looking at the score the game certainly didnt disappoint with Victor over coming a 23 point quarter time deficit to be a comfortable 21 point leader at 3/4 time and looking good to wrap up the double chance whilst Willunga needed the win to set them up as Minor Premiers .
Willunga ultimately prevailed by the barest possible margin, 1 point
The result being now Willunga only need to defeat Strath to seal the Minor Premiership and a free pass into the 2nd Semi Final whilst Victor who were looking the goods to finish top only 2 weeks ago have faltered by losing to fellow finalists McLaren and Willunga and now face the in form Creeks who are on a 7 game winning streak in a match that will determine who finishes 3rd and the important double chance. The loser will be consigned to the cut throat Elim final against the dangerous McLaren, which is a very difficult, treacherous and almost certain route to NOT winning the Flag.
All the pressure will be on Victor as the Creeks have basically been out of Top 3 contention all season until now and should have their full compliment to select from next week for only the 2nd time this season. Gonna be a cracking game i'd expect
So Willunga will finish Top if they beat Strath , if not they will drop to 2nd as Mt Compass should account for Yankalilla comfortably so will finish 2nd or Top if Willunga falter
McLaren have basiaclly a trial game against E Bay as a win or lose wont change anything for them as they are consigned for the Elim Final
As mentioned the winner of Victor v Creek match will finish 3rd and the loser playing McLaren next week.
Creek will actually likely fall to 5th if they lose.
All in all it's an incredibly strong top 5 teams and an amazing finals series is ensured
by jackpot jim
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nice review of the match fod.
Victors inaccuracy certainly kept McLaren in it
Was a weird scoreline that had spectators confused in the latter stages of the match as to just what the margin was at the time with as the Creek scoreboard doesn't show the total points for each team, just goals and behinds.
There was the extraordinary possibility at one stage of a team kicking 3 more goals than their opponents and still losing which one would think may have never happened before ?
Was a great fightback from McLaren to come back from 7 goals down to get within a goal in the last quarter but the effort took its toll and Victor finished off the better.

Another 2 cracking finals coming up next weekend with both again probably being toss of the coin jobs.
Sat Sept 7th 2nd Semi Final
Willunga v Langhorne Creek at Myponga.
Its 1 win apiece this season with both losing on their home grounds.
Tip - Creeks are on a roll with 9 successive wins and theres no reason to tip against them here. Creek by 10 points

Sun Sept 8th 1st Semi Final
Mount Compass v Victor Harbor at Strathalbyn
Compass have had the wood on Victor this year winning both matches by about 4 & 12 goals so going on that alone the Bulldogs would be confident.
Tip - Mt Compass by 19 points
by jackpot jim
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

James Sellar taking over from Clint Godwin as Senior coach at Creek
by jackpot jim
Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Creeks over Willunga by 26 pts Creeks won by 30 points
Compass over Goolwa/PE by 21 points Compass won by 85 points
Yank over Bays by 19 points Yank won by 2 points
McLaren over Strath by 23 points McLaren won by 71 points
Myp/Sell over Victor by 23 points Myp/Sell won by 11 points

Tiger83 tipster of the week with 5/5 and a points differential of 106, fod 5/5 (135), jj 5/5 (145), grasshopper 3/5 :oops: ;)

Yesterdays results show whilst Strath are still a finals contender, they're not a premiership hope, being obliterated for the 2nd time in their last 3 matches.
Yank the big winners with their 2 point win over the Bays
Tho Creeks wasn't an upset over Willunga at all, it certainly was a gutsy win after losing Perrey, McGregor and Mitch Cleggett all to injuries before half time and having no bench for the rest of the game. Willunga jumped out of the blocks to kick 3 goals in the 1st 15 minutes but from then on only managed 1 more for the rest of the match mostly played in misty drizzle

Table
Creeks 10
McLaren 10
Compass 7
Yank 6
Strath 6
Bays 5
Willunga 4
Myp/Sell 2
Gool/PE 0
Victor 0

4 rounds to go with either Creeks and Mclaren to finish top whilst the other are top 3 certainties. The next 5 teams are all in a battle for spots 3 - 5
Its a lottery who they will be and will be determined on results of 50/50 games like yesterdays between Yank and E Bay. Mt Compass have the hardest run home, still having to play Creek and McLaren along with other contenders Strath and Yank. Straths % is utter shithouse due to their obliterations by Creeks and McLaren but still have to play Victor and Myp/Sell. Will need 6 wins to make it. Willunga have an easier draw but need to beat Yank this week otherwise they're in trouble. Yank and Bays still have their destiny in their own hands but as with the other contenders need to win the 50/50 games.
by jackpot jim
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |