Search found 21 matches

Return

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 5 - 2015

Dent played AFL at Hawthorn, played in Sturts last premiership,coached Edwardstown to a Div 2 flag and more recently coached Happy Valley to a flag. Pretty fair credentials for a Div 5 club. Plus he is notorious for signing big names. Whoever beats CLG will be premiers. Good get for the lions. :)

you would think so yankman..they were close to going straight through div 5 this year and are the team to beat at this stage alongside elizabeth..not sure how robb stark sees them coming 8th..

CLG - finished 3rd, natural improvement sees them in the GF and early favorite
Elizabeth - finished 4th, good recruiting announced already and may become favorites after 9 rounds
CBCOC - strong B grade and good A grade squad, need to be a bit more consistent but can push for a top 2 spot with some recruits
Para Hills - appear to have gained some good players and had an awesome record at home in 2014, dark horse i reckon
Blackfriars - play a great style of football and have picked up 2 real good players with more to come perhaps?

Woodville South - maybe losing a few good ones to the country, could finish higher though under porters guidance
Rosewater - have better depth than previously in div 5 and with some pick ups could get a few places higher in their first year back
Greenacres - even with solid recruiting they have still lost some good ones as well, no depth in the B grade when injuries come
Adelaide Lutheran - relied on a few individuals to win some games last year..lacking class on the edges, somebody has to come 9th
Pulteney - seem to be on a spiral down but college clubs are known for changing things around very quickly

trust you to be the voice of reason Zed. as always some well thought out observations about the silly season so far. From what i've heardPultney may be slightly better than last year with some decent college kids coming up but you'd have to lock them in for bottom 2 at this stage unless something drastic changes
by BFG
Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 6 - 2015

Fantastic reading guys. My thoughts on the subject:

Brahma Lodge (the loyal club people and administrators) are victim of the one thing that is more dangerous than money in amateur clubs and that is poor recruiting. Paying 800 bucks for an Ex- SANFL gun might sound excessive but if this player ends up playing 150-200 games and being a club legend then you'd have to say that its been more than worthwhile. Good players are attracted to a good club culture and the club culture is fostered by recruiting quality people.

This year the lodge are in a no win position. They can either choose to try and build a team around its current crop with maybe a handful of previously untried recruits and likely be relegated to div 7 which can be tough to find your way out of and you also run the risk of losing more players and (worst case scenario) fold. This scenario preserves or at least doesn't diminish the reputation of the club around the league.

OR

They can welcome back past players looking to return for financial reasons or others. They have possibly another 3-4 years of success with that same group and in the meantime hope you can attract a younger generation that eventually replace them. This scenario ensures that BL remain one of the most despised clubs in the SAAFL.

To be completely honest if i was in this position and it was my club in this pickle, it would be very, very hard to take option 1. While I' sure many (including myself) would be angry if the Lodge get these players back and are head and shoulders above everyone else in div 6 next year. Making the decision to be terrible for 3- 4 years before improving over improving straight away would be one that few clubs around the league would make.
by BFG
Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm just upset that Mitchell Park haven't tried to poach me yet. I must have been to that oval 5 times for a kick in the last two weeks and not so much as an invitation to train. I have to say i'm quite hurt.

I know if it were CLG we would've already had you, both parents signed up as social members and any future kids already on the books.

On a more serious note, Rosewater have been busy and look to have a fair few ins, apart from Richards who was mentioned above, anyone have an idea about the quality of these nee recruits?
by BFG
Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

zedman wrote:booga should be in the C grade! thom and grover to lead the rucks in B grade.. :)

Sounds about right to me!
by BFG
Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

While you're on the topic of A grade selection, is Johnny O'leary a chance of playing 1's this year?

Hasnt been out to training to often old "Aussie John". Maybe now that hes an official citizen he sees no need to assimilate into australian society!

Too busy on the Irish Cricket Team bandwagon at the moment

haha, I hope they can win a few more games.

Hopefully Butters makes it out after gaelic season has finished, seems like a good lad to have at your club.

yeah absolute legend. Have fond memories of him slotting a goal from the boundary at Trinity OS in an A grade match in 2011 that sealed the game for us and got us out of relegation trouble. Think they were third at the time and we were 8th. Bus ride back was huge!
by BFG
Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 6 - 2015

lovetotalkfooty wrote:Why will no team come up from div 7 or down from div 5?

Kilburn to div 3, Salisbury to div 5, luthiers or woody south to div 6

Anyone?

Think Pultney might be the best bet for the drop down to div 6. From what I've heard I think they may be in for another long year.
by BFG
Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 4 - 2015

I hear talk of game plans and full presses etc. I haven't been involved with a senior team for awhile but have watched a bit of Div 4 down, I would of thought you keep it pretty simple. Win the footy, use it well, play in front, tackle hard, pressure, beat your opponent etc etc

Westminster's success over the last few years would owe something to them having a very solid game plan

High class coaching on both grand final days in the last two years played a big part in both their victories. Obviously the players have to execute but they had a plan, stuck to it and it paid massive dividends.
by BFG
Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 7 - 2015

My point is more from a perspective of the financial health of the league, wheras (like it or not) the general footy public has an idea in their head that playing C grade is far less serious and of a lesser standard than "A grade" clubs and therefore tend to attract a more casually minded footy player. Sort of, except I think the general footy public has an idea in their head that playing Division 7 is far less serious and of a lesser standard and therefore tends to attract a more casually minded footy player.

A grade sides have been playing C Grade sides for donkeys years. It's been fine, would've been fine and everyone would have had a great year, C Grade sides included. Instead, we solved a problem that doesn't exist and ****** up an entire year of football for 6 clubs.

In reality some C grade clubs are more than competitive in div 7 and while in an ideal world the 31st -40th best teams would play in div 4, 41st -50th would play in div 5, right down to div 7 the reality is that is never going to be the case. It could be, if the league stuck to their guns and promoted and relegated on stricter terms. Each year would have slight variances due to recruitment and expansion, but over time, we would get close.

It got close, actually, until we started letting clubs get away with not being promoted or requesting demotion "because we're a C grade and we like winning so D6 is too hard" and "we lost a heap of money, therefore players, we don't want a year of pain so let us slide". **** that, play where you belong based on your standard and the previous years results.

In my opinion, from purely an overall league health point of view, Div 7 should be made up of only A and B grade sides. More players playing football in the SAAFL the better for the league as a whole regardless of what division they are in. I dont understand. How does screwing up 7 clubs fixture result in more players? Don't buy into this argument that "C graders only want to play C Graders" as it is a complete myth. Most C graders don't even know what division they're playing in half the time, let alone what grade side they're playing in round 16.

One side clubs would be playing in the C grade competition which, hopefully over time with increased success would see them graduate back to two teams and return to div 7. Obviously this would never happen as it would leave div 7 with too few teams currently but for the long term success of the league and also the division 7 competition I believe that this is the right way forward. This I agree with. Wingfield sould absolutely be able to play C-whatever.

So that is where I "kinda agree" with marbles........ I think :D Thats alright, you're from CLG after all :P. Hope Coxy and Whyborn are training well.

I think it would result in more players over time. Winning a flag still entices lots of blokes to particular clubs and if you are in a division with fewer teams it would give you more of a chance of winning one. That might seem like a glass half full approach but I truly believe it would be the best for the long term health of some clubs that are currently struggling. Doesn't mean that we all have to have the same opinion, it would be a pretty boring forum if we did! Yeah coxy and scotty have been great additions, looking forward to seeing what Coxy can do come our first trial :D :D
by BFG
Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015: 7 Pure A-Grade Divisions

Bottom line is that people are your number 1 commodity and if you don't look after them, they will leave, some in search for coin, some for a more attractive culture.
If you enjoy where you are playing, you are less likely to leave, there's no point chasing cash only to go back to your original club on a Saturday night because that's where your mates are. Define an attractive culture? One persons attractive culture is another’s nightmare. Cultures are also dynamic. I’ve been at Mitchell Park and hated the culture one year, the next year it was great. Recruitment and playing stocks did not in any way correlate to my personal impressions of the culture either.

I don’t disagree that if your club is full of bell ends, eventually it wouldn’t result in a positive outcome, but its not as easy as just having the place full of good people. Otherwise Mitchell Park would be in D2 and CLG would be in C4…. :P

Agree with the culture point about it changing year to year. 2010 was particularly bad at CLG where we had 9 blokes max at training on a thursday night regularly and we still finished 4th. The year after we finished 7th or 8th and had one of the best years off the field ive ever had. While Morell has stated (tongue in cheek........ or not) about the people at CLG, he makes a valid point in that the people at the club and the people that come into the club can drastically effect not only the clubs culture but the club's peformance and reputation as a destination to play. I know we've worked exceedingly hard on the social side at our club to try and build a solid foundation of people that play in lower grades becausse those people that play in your B's and C's that enjoy their footy and enjoy the club atmosphere usually have a mate or knows someone that is handy that could play in your A's in the future. That player is more likely to come and play for you if they are hearing positive things about training, social functions etc.

In saying that location does also play a huge part, being in a 4km radius of MP, Mitcham, Kenilworth, Goodwood, Unley does not bode well for the overall health of ALL of those clubs in terms of player numbers. Being a club like Henley with limited competition around, you don't have to worry about culture AS much. still an issue but becuase of location, those clubs will always have numbers.
by BFG
Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

morell wrote:How did Coxy go in the trial @BFG / @scottroo

Scott Whyborn went alright for a young fella though. Probably hasnt got Coxy's natural ability but he worked hard and kicks long, can't ask for too much more than that from a younger bloke.
by BFG
Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great hit out with Peake yesterday at Mortlock played in good spirits on a friggen hot day. Both sides missing a few and we had a few go over and play for them late but some good signs for both clubs. Rigney has still got it and their ruckman is a massive unit, they had some quality mids also and some of their younger kids looked OK. We were just happy to get through the game without injuries and look forward to our Mitcham trial this week.
by BFG
Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

is this a trial game post clogging up the forum Footy Chick. Hope the same PM is sent to Zed. Would hate to think it was because i'm not one of your forum favorites. ;)

err..yeah she did send me one actually..hence i found the correct place to do it and deleted the ones that i could..but BFG was very quick replying on this particular forum and it couldnt be deleted..

http://safooty.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40302

thanks for caring though.. :)

sorry mate, being close to a laptop for 95% of your day allows me to be especially vigilant on the forum boards!

Anyone else weeing themselves a little bit in anticipation of the season starting in just over two weeks time? While im always cautious to look into any trial game results, I think this weekend you could get away with it. most sides will be playing very close to their round 1 lineups bar some availability issues. Very much looking forward to our trial against Mitcham on Saturday!
by BFG
Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Iron Fist wrote:if bament's body holds up he will be more than handy in div 5.
A smart footballer and has good skills. Handy thing is he can play either down back or forward.

Been a while since I've seen that avatar.

ive definitely missed them, ah i meant it.
by BFG
Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://talkingamateurs.com.au/documents/TheFootyBudgetEdition1.pdf

page 7

(westminster) were the underdogs going into the preliminary final against the highly fancied Colonel Light Gardens, and despite a three quarter time deficit , they rallied and won by 23-points

WOSFC led at 3/4 time by 7-8 goals approximately..

(clg) will only be challenged by Elizabeth and their round one opponent, CBC Old Collegians.

yet woodville south cats are one of the 3 featured premiership favorite club logos..

Expect Harry Arren’s boot to lead Colonel Light Gardens to the pointy end of the table with 2014’s Best and Fairest winner Ben Bamford’s Greenacres to be the big movers of the season.

harry arren??? wtf ..you gotta make sure that one sticks @BFG!
and bamford has left greenacres and is playing for broadview!

not hard to check a few facts out these days..good luck in the coming weeks writers.. :)

haha harry arren. If he actually read it he might care somewhat. I'll make sure the boys are aware of it though, highly humerous!
by BFG
Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CH9AFL DIvision 4 2016

CLG Red played a CLG white in an internal trial last night. In a close match CLG Red got over the line thanks to accurate goal kicking. CLG white said to be missing 5 or 6 of their best players plus had 7 only play the first half. CLG red a very good outfit, would think they would at least finish top three.

:P :P :P
by BFG
Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Donaldson and Wakelin were guns, but now they are old, haven't played for at least a season and were B graders in 2014. Maybe a little over the top here?

Blessing, Tasborski and Fisher though? Every D1 Club would love to have them!

Add Shattock to that list too I reckon.

Absolutely, gun.

At least the pressure is off now guys, we can all just enjoy our footy this year knowing that we're only playing for second place. I for one am grateful that my stress levels will be significantly lowered. Thanks WOSFC, you're allllriiiiight :D
by BFG
Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Round 2 is almost upon us and i'll try and kickstart some conversation by chucking out a few predictions.

EP v NH: EP are a massive unknown, multiple people have given positive reports but they face a confident NH team fresh off a cracking start to the year. I might end up with egg on my face here but I have to go with the team who has a result already on the board. NH by 24.

WOS v Pooraka: Pooraka pushed Hope Valley all the way last week and im expecting both of those teams to be mid table by seasons end. Westies just got done by the grand finalist from last year without 4 or 5 of their big name recruits so you'd expect them to account for Pooraka if they are to be a top 3 contender this year. Picking westies by 35.

HV v CLG: Valleys just getting over Pooraka and CLG beating edwardstown who many expect to be a contender this year should mean that CLG will get a win here but anything can happen come game day. Thinking it will be another close one for the lions but like last week may just get the choccies. 15 points to CLG.

Kenilworth v Salisbury: first home game for the Kookas and they will want to improve on their result last week, while I don't think the margin will be as high I'm expecting Salisbury to account for Kenilworth with little issue. Salisbury by 40.
by BFG
Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CH9AFL Division 6 2016

Computer Crashed wrote:
S Demon wrote:PAOC and Unley are C grade sides and they are knocking off A grade teams currently in Div 7

They are in Div 7 for a reason.
They are shit.

I think they prefer the term "rebuilding"
by BFG
Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CH9AFL Division 1 2016

South Australia National Football League (SANFL) Prince Alfred OC Jolly, Hayden Denied 2016-04-13 2016-04-13

Surprised Glenelg are being difficult. Most SANFL clubs are generally pretty happy to give a local interchange permit once even their contracted players have made it clear they want to play elsewhere. Never really seen the point in holding a bloke to a contract who doesn't want to be there.
Maybe he owes for socks and shorts :lol:

Just been informed he'll be good to go this week. Has been sorted with Glenelg today.
by BFG
Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have income insurance and it's looking like I'll get an 8 week payout for breaking my ankle.

On top of that, I didn't pay a cent to have an ankle reconstruction and arthroscopy thanks to having health insurance.

So yeah, I'm kinda thankful I have both of them.

Got a free shoulder reconstruction from private health insurance so i'll always be thankful for that. Had a very attractive nurse as well, no spongebath though :(
by BFG
Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 4 - 2018

Another massive week of games in what should be a very even div 4 comp this year. The big shocks last week were EP's bigger than expected win and also Gepps giving Mitcham a touch up. It makes for a very interesting R2 this week.

Edwardstown v CLG

This should be an absolute cracker. Towns got off to a solid start over what will be a finals contender in Glenunga and CLG had a good win at home over the demoted SMOSH. CLG finished far stronger than SMOSH last saturday and will need every bit of that fitness on the larger expanses a Edwardstown. I'm tipping my boys to get the choccies in a super tight one.

Pooraka v Glenunga

Two teams coming off round 1 losses to sides predicted by many to make finals. The key will obviously be stopping Mercer and I think Glenunga have the cattle through the middle to cut off the supply. Glenunga by under 4 goals.

Salisbury v Kilburn

Salibury will be very keen for Saturday to try to make amends for their R1 pasting at the hands of Kilburn. I think this game will be closer but Kilburn might be a bit too talented across the park. Think they'll get the job done by 7 goals.

SMOSH v Gepps

Was very impressed by SMOSH on the weekend and they probably just ran out of legs in the last 15-20 minutes. They're a youngish side and I reckon they will surprise a few good sides this year. They will need to stop the scoring power of Gepps though who would be ecstatic with their round one win over Mitcham. Think the rams will be too strong here and win by around 20 points.

Mitcham v Eastern Park

I had thought pre season that Mitcham would just about be a shoe in for finals which means either I was way off or Gepps are way better than I thought they would be. We should get an answer this weekend when Mitcham play EP in what I think could be the big blow out win. Eastern Park couldn't have been happier with their R1 and I suspect they'll continue that form and give Mitcham a bit of a hiding.
by BFG
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |