Search found 620 matches

Return

Re: Sanderson sacked

Wedgie wrote:Please don't post either obscure or obvious reference to illegal activities that are merely heard by rumour.
If its fact and proven in court or reported publicly then go for it.
Cheers.

Then delete EVERY post regarding Essendon since 2012.
by gadj1976
Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Coaches worth

The players don't get paid in preseason so neither should the coaches.

As for 20-30 hours a week I find that hard to believe. Here is what I see. 2 hours Tuesday night, 2 hours Thursday night, 4 hours Saturday and 2 hours selecting players. 10 hours. There might e a few coaches who tape games and watch them again. Another 2 hours for them. However you are not going over tapes from other teams, watching there practice or getting scout reports. 12 hours is about the
Most I can see. Would love to know where the other hours are spent?

I used to get to training at (leave home just after 5 and pick up the assistant coach) 5.30 and leave about 8, or 8.30 (get home at 8.15 - 8.45), Tuesday and Thursday. I used to travel to get there, another 15 mins each way. I used to plan the session on Tuesday and Thursday, another 15-30 mins per night. Then Saturday, try and take in as much as possible on a Saturday. For some, that would be 12.30 onward. For me, it was more, leave at 1 get wherever at 1.15 or 1.30, then stay through till presentation (6.30) and then chat with club officials, sponsors or players. So that makes it Tuesday 3 - 3.5, Thursday 3 - 3.5, Saturday anything from 5 to 8.

And really, that's fine. I didn't expect anything less. Conservatively that's about 12 hours in a week (or 16 depending on how conservative you are. But then there is all the other stuff;

Organising medical assessments
Discussing rehab options for injured players
Determining options for non financial players (can they be picked? how do we manage them?)
Discussing options with medical staff for injured players
Discussing game plans with assistant coaches
Ensuring players who weren't at training know about 'x, y and z' discussed at training
Travel for players to and from games
Board meetings
Meeting Sponsors
Speaking to juniors about 'coming up' grades
Watching junior games
Recruiting or feeling out players
Talking to potential sponsors
Talking to B graders about playing A grade

Saturday's for me used to start at 8am with players pulling out or notifying me that they were ok to play. From there, it was on!

The above list would happen 90% of the time with varying degrees of time taken for each category depending on what happened the previous week.

I've just been an assistant at a SAAFL club (for nix) and I would've put 10 hours a week in from January through till now. And I'm not the coach!

As players, you never see what goes on in a coaches world. I suggest you do that one day. It's enlightening!
by gadj1976
Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Coaches worth

Been hearing some amazing figures being bandied around for coaches in the SAAFL. Got me thinking about what a coach is worth. Lets not make this a I heard "X" gets paid $10000 a year and "Y" gets $7000 a year. More interested in what people think coaches should be paid in each division.

Heres my thoughts.

Div 1 - What ever you can get and the club can afford. Would think most coaches get $6K - $8K range or $333.33 a game to $444.44 ( all based on 18 games no finals). These guys are either proven or played a pretty high level and should have a sound knowledge of the game.

Div 2-3 - I think you would pay around the $4K to $5K range. Again $222.22 to $277.77 a game. You can take a punt on a few untried coaches at this level. Most coaches would have played SAAFL before and have a reasonable understanding of the game.

Div 4-5 - Should not be paying over $3K to the coach. $166.66 per game. Most made up of guys who played SAAFL at either the club they are coaching or a reasonable level. Get by a lot on reputation but are mostly untried when it comes to the coaching game. A lot of ex captains of clubs end up coaching at this level.

Div 6-7 - Should be paying $2K max. $111.11 a game. A lot of guys are doing it for the love of the game or the club at this level and deserve to be rewarded in some way. At this level you need someone who can recruit and get guys to your club. Not a lot of clubs in this grade have promising junior program ( I said not a lot but there are a few).

Overall these coaches probably spend 10 hours a week and should be rewarded but when you hear of Div 5 and 6 clubs being asked up to $10000 a year to coach them it makes you laugh.

Just my thoughts.

10 hours a week? I would think it could be up to 25 hours a week. I worked out that when I coached with phone calls, planning and time away from home I got about 20c an hour. And even then I think I wasnt able to dedicate enough time to it.
by gadj1976
Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tippett + Buddy = No flag

bennymacca wrote:if they win a single premiership in the next 8 years, would that be worth it? probably.

I'd be happy if my mob won 1 in 8 years. It won't happen of course but to see 1 in the next 8, I'd say any gamble that big would be worth it.
by gadj1976
Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sanderson sacked

God i hope its not Basset, we already have Lyon and Roos.
Give it one and a half seasons and the Crows will be borrowing the tarps.
Kicking 10 goals a game isnt what the fans want.

Bolton will be the coach IMO , I have heard the decision has already been made

The Adelaide media will eat him alive!
by gadj1976
Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vale Robbie Flower

Looking at the vision on youtube takes me back. I remember him running amok during the mid 80's on a wing for the Dees and wished we could have him in our side somehow. The overriding thing about him (for mine) was his balance. He just NEVER fell over!
by gadj1976
Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

The NRL coverage last night on Ch 9. As soon as the game finished, the Wide World of Sports logo comes on and an ad.
by gadj1976
Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Carlton 2014

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/09/hy9ymyty.jpg

Carlton are asking people to vote on what guernsey they should wear going forward.

It's a member vote. Overwhelmingly it's the one on the right that will win and is the one we used from the 1920's to 1990's
tackling all the big issues at Visy Park. :shock: :roll:
by gadj1976
Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Horse Racing Tips & Discussion

Sadly Savvy Smokin has been retired today, injured himself again and if he goes on it is unlikely to end well.

Best horse Ive ever owned from the early days when he couldn't win at Port Augusta to winning a $30k race at Swan Hill and winning over $100k. Had great fun with him.

That's terrible news Dutchy. Luckily you've got another one up and around.

Our filly is now doing trackwork with D Jolly and we're hoping it gets on the park shortly.
by gadj1976
Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

JK wrote:How awesome was the Manikato!!!

Amazing! I was on platelet and finished 2 lengths third last. Christ i hate moonee valley. In saying that I will be there tomorrow.
by gadj1976
Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 5AA Crows Show

Pipe someone in via Melbourne to co-host it with someone other than Rowey. That'd be a start.

Secondly, during AFL season, interview the coaches or key players of both teams from game of the week - a game NOT involving Port and the Crows. And they don't have to have a tenuous link to SA, South Australian clubs or rellies in SA. Stop the "we're the poor brother", "us vs Victoria" that the show was centred around during the Cornes era and make it a sports show we (non SA club supporters) can listen and relate to.
by gadj1976
Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NSW vs SA at SCG

Like NRL, Aussie Rules and NFL I reckon the helmet has brought in a false level of confidence. Back in the old days, blokes learnt to play the hook shot without helmets and HAD to be confident otherwise they'd get hurt (Hookes, McCosker). If they weren't confident they'd duck out the way. These days, with helmets I don't think you have to be very confident to have a go at one. I'm not for a second saying that helmets should be banned but players still need to realise they can get hurt.

To say the bouncer needs to be taken out the game is ridiculous. I think those people must've been watching "The Sanitisation of Cricket" (read as 20/20). It's a lethal weapon and should be respected as such.

Best wishes to Hughes I hope he can make a full recovery. Poor bastard.
by gadj1976
Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Test match attendance figures this series

6000 for the bangers test match is a great effort.
And we could extrapolate that out to any country town where three-quarters of the 500 people go and watch the local footy and netball.
Sometimes this whole Melbourne is the sporting capital rubbish sh!ts me, although I suppose it has to be because it's a sh!thole otherwise.

Really?

I absolutely LOVE Melbourne. Easy to get around, alive, buzzing the entire time. Sporting events you can't jump over. Great bars and cafe's, shopping, lifestyle. Why oh why did I move back?!?!?!!?
by gadj1976
Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Good Movies

Argo, really enjoyed it.
by gadj1976
Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Predictions - and discussion - in lead up to 2015 season

woodublieve12 wrote:i am looking forward to stay at home mums round, single dad round, mental health round and human apprecitation round

I think being a "married white male who doesn't receive government benefits" is a minority group these days. I want a round FFS!
by gadj1976
Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: World Cup 2015

whoever loses this will feel hard done by but really, SA were screwed over when the rain set in.
by gadj1976
Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Who said 43/43 over cricket was dead?
by gadj1976
Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Carlton 2015

Dear god....
by gadj1976
Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Vettori came across as a nice bloke & all, but he wasn't a star of the game. He may have been a star of NZ cricket, but not world cricket.
He was a good player in a crap team that had very little success against the big boys for a long, long period of time.
Their run to the World Cup final wasn't carried on his back.

*unlike*

Weird assessment of someone who played in a shizen side but carried the mob for the better part of a decade. As he got older, the standards around him rose until no, he didn't need to carry the side. He was a star in a quasi minnows nation until recently where they are becoming one of the powerhouses of international one day cricket and forging a reputation as a very good test playing nation.

Vettori may well have gotten too old for the team around him but his nations success is just around the corner.
by gadj1976
Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Cricket World Cup tournament team was selected by former England players Jonathan Agnew, Michael Vaughan and Vic Marks, and Australian commentator Jim Maxwell.
Vic Marks: There's a name I haven't heard of in a while, he looked about 48 when he was playing.
So 3 poms and Glenn's dad picked the side, that explains it then.

Good old Skiddy. Couldn't bowl bat or field. Good addition to the Pommy squad back in the day.
by gadj1976
Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Spargo wrote:Read my post again, (gadj & DK) because both your responses only back up what I first said.

Spargo, I should've said that IMO he was star on the international stage. That's the only thing I disagreed with.
by gadj1976
Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Vettori is only the 8th player in Test history to take more than 300 wickets and score more than 3000 runs.

In Test cricket he took 362 wickets and scored 4531 runs.
As I said earlier, his record speaks for itself. Statistically the best left arm spinner the game has seen.
Not many good left arm spinners to compare against.

Underwood (Engl) was the best leftie I'd seen before Vettori. Vettori trumped him.

Dilip Doshi and Bishan Bedi are the only two Indian spinners I can remember.

Tufnell....ordinary in comparison to Underwood and Vettori IMO.
by gadj1976
Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: FOOTY 2015

I've got 7.50 on all favourites at about 26 or 36 bucks, can't recall.
by gadj1976
Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

After about three years of frustration, our syndicate's 5th horse makes it's debut on Wed. If it makes it through to the starting 14 that is.

I'll keep you posted.
by gadj1976
Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Niccorossa has pulled up well post her run. Jolly was very happy, as was Gatt. Now targeting a 0-62 at Strath on the 29th of April.
by gadj1976
Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

The Dark Knight wrote:
The Ash Man wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Our Cricket boys going to Wallaroo for their Cricket Trip and being thrown out after only being there Friday night, weren't even there 24 hours. Gold. @bazza1

Where were they staying?

Cornucopia I think.

If you get kicked out of there, you must be trouble.
by gadj1976
Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A message from the stable;

We are pleased to inform you that Niccorossa has been nominated for:
Wednesday 29 April
Strathalbyn Race 4 - Sabois 3YO BM 62 Hcp(1100m)

We heard that Gatt was happy to stay aboard which is a promising sign.
by gadj1976
Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A message from the stable;

We are pleased to inform you that Niccorossa has been nominated for:
Wednesday 29 April
Strathalbyn Race 4 - Sabois 3YO BM 62 Hcp(1100m)

We heard that Gatt was happy to stay aboard which is a promising sign.

It's now Strath, race 3 no 2. Gatt stays on top carrying 59kgs and the hopes of me and my syndicates' 10% share. ;-)
by gadj1976
Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

HH3 wrote:I think he just means they wanna get him the win for his milestone. He just doesn't know how to articulate it properly, or has no understanding of what "sending him off" would mean to most people.

Don't clarify this HH3. I wanna believe in it goddamit!

;-)
by gadj1976
Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Please, a bit of peace and quiet while we take a moment to pray.
by gadj1976
Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Weeroona Pub, Wallaroo

Always great food there. I had marinated kangaroo, kids had salt and pepper squid. Missus had a schnitzel. Fantastic!!!! 9/10.
by gadj1976
Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So he owes me somewhere in the vacinity of 25k then? :-)
by gadj1976
Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Before we totally hang Malthouse. Take into consideration that so far Carlton have played Richmond, West Coast, Essendon and St.kilda. West Coast was away and Rich and Ess played finals last season. Sitting 1-3 is probably where you would think they would be at this stage.

This is my argument though. Our list is where it's at because of Malthouse. We wouldn't be in the position we are if it weren't for him.

Gone from our list since 2012;

Betts - Adelaide
Bootsma - delisted
Bower - delisted
Collins - delisted
Davies - delisted
Duigan - retired
Garlett - Melbourne
Hampson - Richmond
Joseph - delisted
Kerr - delisted
Lucas - delisted
Mitchell - delisted
McCarthy - delisted
McLean - delisted
McInnes - delisted
O'Keeffe - delisted
Robinson - Brisbane
Russell - Collingwood - delisted
Scotland - retired
Thornton - GWS - delisted
Waite - North Melbourne
Rookies;
only Casboult remains

So that's 21 players turned over and we've got worse. We have been in 2012, 2013 and 2014 drafts and not addressed our backline or forwardline deficiencies (in part caused by sending Waite, Garlett and Betts on their way).

The guys we've brought in, Daisy Thomas (which addressed a problem we didn't have). Jones (couldn't make the Bulldogs forward line) and Tutt (ditto).

Yes, our development has been ordinary but isn't that the coach's fault? It certainly seemed to be when everyone else was in charge.

Oh and that doesn't include Laidler who was told his style didn't fit our game. Suits Sydney ok!
by gadj1976
Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 5 stuff

carey wrote:I feel your pain mate. It can turn around quick I remember 5-6 years ago standing at footy park in the pissing rain in a crowd of about 12,000 watching us get belted by a average Bulldogs side.

Q. what changed?

(A. the coach)
by gadj1976
Fri May 01, 2015 10:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I read that Mick is coaching Cas on how to kick. I would've thought that he'd be worth getting a dedicated kicking coach in for. I also noted he hardly got a kick for the Nth Blues on the weekend too. Another one that could leave us if not treated well and coached accordingly.

Marbles, completely agree. Couldn't have said it any better myself.

casbult is the best pack mark in the league, when your coach barely gives you the time of day and chucks you in the ressies, casbult probably feels like he aint gonna get a a game for as long as malthouse in charge. the kids depressed

i cant believe the money travis cloke, and drew petrie would be on, theyd barely get 5 kicks between them. if they get a run, then casbult deserves a chance to shine

Same happened with Garlett. Ran around the magoos with no confidence and we trade him for a bag of cold pies. Player development at our club is horrendous.
by gadj1976
Mon May 04, 2015 1:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

JK wrote:28 years today since Mots' tragic accident

Yeh, sad day. I remember the date because it's my old man's birthday - but can't believe it's 28 years. I wonder how good a player he would've turned out to be had it not been for that accident.
by gadj1976
Fri May 08, 2015 10:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I was out and forgot about it, found out via email, video is up, good solid win, not sure about the quality of the opposition but was wide and was hardly touched in the straight...good signs!

http://www.theracessa.com.au/show_video.php?track=30272&date=2015-05-08&race=6&trial=yes

Nice Dutchy, you've got a winner on your hands there. Looks like it's got lots left in the tank. Congrats (on having a good horse!).
by gadj1976
Fri May 08, 2015 9:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: General tv discussion thread - good, bad, axings etc etc

I started watching Dexter from S1 E1 and am nearly finished S4. Extremely good show. I love it!
by gadj1976
Wed May 20, 2015 10:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I made a $250 bet with a Carlton supporter during the pre-season about the time Dick Shitehouse said "I can't see us losing a game" that Port would finish higher. At this stage I'm quietly confident :D

I think it will be locked away as a mathematical certainty by about Round 13 8)

Geelong by 5 goals
no disrespect to your mate, but that would have to one of the dumbest bets i have ever heard of...

I'm happy to say it. You're mate is either an idiot, or is Mick Malthouse.
by gadj1976
Fri May 22, 2015 11:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

posted elsewhere;

Hmm.

Ok, lets have a look at our list.

Laidler playing for Sydney - told by Mick to learn how to play HFF and delisted.
Waite playing for North - offered one year, played most of the previous year in the ressies.
Betts playing for Adel - says in the media during the week his role was diluted by the coach
Garlett playing for Melbourne - delisted
Robinson playing for Brisbane - delisted
Watson recruited as a CHB, being groomed as a CHF - looks like being delisted
Rowe recruited as a CHF/FF, playing CHB/FB
Yarran isn't a backman
Simpson isn't a backman
Cas can't kick

Won't play the kids, won't give them some game time...

We have no game plan!!!!! Zero. Nil. Nada. Move on.....

Again, we win contested stoppages, so it's not our MIDFIELD FFS!!!!! We have nothing to kick to.
by gadj1976
Fri May 22, 2015 11:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Dark Knight wrote:Image

Hey DK, congrats on 150 mate. Now bugger off ;-)
by gadj1976
Mon May 25, 2015 12:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Maybe. We can only speculate. Ratten had Carlton in pretty good shape as well.

From my observations, Mick is using outdated tactics. The new breed has him covered and he hasn't bothered to adapt.

Brock McLean was on SEN and he said the game style didn't suit the list. The Ratten game plan was to (in his words) to take the game on, take risks and run the ball quickly. It suited the list. He said when Mick came in, he changed the game plan to be like Collingwood's (something that I really didn't see us embracing) and it didn't suit our list.

My gripe with Malthouse was that he was brought in to sure up our defence, not to completely rebuild a list and throw a good gameplan out the window!

So now, I see it that our board has rectified a huge costly error from 3 years ago. Time to go forward. I know that will be more pain this year because we just don't have the cattle (thanks again Mick) but i want to see an updated game plan implemented and play guys in their correct positions.
by gadj1976
Wed May 27, 2015 9:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 9 dribble

Funny, for all the banter about Goodes I reckon the AFL and media outlets miss opportunities to display the decency/comraderie among players. What Garry Rohan did in stopping Buckley from getting up deserves applause.
by gadj1976
Sat May 30, 2015 7:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Chris Judd Retires

Can't believe this has become a "my c*ck is bigger than yours" thread again. FFS... Grow up

Back on topic...

I must admit, as a Carlton supporter I'd forgotten how he used to split packs at the West Coast in the early 2000's till I saw the highlights packages this morning. He was an out and out freak. Inside ball winner and also able to use it extremely well. Unwavering ability to keep his feet under immense pressure and explode away from opposition tacklers. Fleet footwork and an amazing sense of balance.

As he said, to have two shoulder reconstructions by the age of 17 would normally spell an early end to a career, so my admiration for him grows when I see he managed 279 league games, not just as a 'decent player' but as an out and out star.

Unfortunately for Carlton, I think his best football was at West Coast but that doesn't dampen my enthusiasm of how much of a star he was. An out and out legend. Well done Juddy! And thanks.
by gadj1976
Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Channel 9.

Paying money. Any money. A dollar, 2 dollars, let alone 45 THOUSAND dollars for that waste of space Belle Gibson.

**** OFF. She should never be allowed to explain her side of the story. There is no "her side of the story". She's a lying bitch and needs to be reviled by society forever.
by gadj1976
Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

WOO HOO! Stay away Mick you overrated heap of sh1t.
by gadj1976
Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hehe, look at all the Carlton supporters up and about :D

So you should be though, look a lot better than a month ago.

Still dont think your list in general is very average, but at least they seem to be playing with a bit of freedom

Dunno about "all" the Carlton supporters, but I'm so up and about I'm pogo sticking around the loungeroom on my old fella!

Seriously, why wouldn't we? Our list IS very average. We know that. We still don't have a crumbing forward, nor any key defenders other than a Norwood forward! Our ruckman was a Collingwood reject and our most highly paid player is sitting on the sideline. Our best player retired and our leading goalkicker is a bloke who can't kick!

Three weeks ago we couldn't tackle, our leaders were ridiculed and we couldn't hit the side of a barn. Barks at least has given us supporters some hope!
by gadj1976
Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |