Search found 620 matches

Return

Re: Celebrity Casualties

RIP Ronnie Corbett.

I really enjoyed "The Two Ronnies" back in the 80s.

My god. How sad. I remember as a kid watching the Two Ronnies and Dave Allen on a Friday night on Channel two and if I got the adult humour, pi$$ing myself laughing. That would've been in the late 70's I reckon.

Great times, never to be seen/revisited again unfortunately. Some of the best memories of my childhood.

I was sad when Dave Allen died, very sad when Ronnie Barker died and now that Ronnie Corbett has died, it puts a full stop on my childhood recollection.

These guys taught me about humour and timing. Not that I'm good at it, I just appreciate it in everyday life moreso because of them.

Thanks guys, peace.
by gadj1976
Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 2 - discussion

hope we don't get flogged*

*(on repeat till Rd 23 2018)
by gadj1976
Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Geelong 2016

Loved mumford's tackle.

Could have done the "weak" thing and lined him up and sent him into next week, and got himself rubbed out in the process, but decided to tackle and made him earn it.

Team lifting stuff

What tackle? The hit on Duncan? Should have been a free kick. He jumped off the ground and collected him. If a ruckman is off the ground it's a fair bet some high contact was involved. We were outplayed and didn't deserve to win but we got bent over by the maggots big time in decisions that led directly to Giant goals.

regards,

REB

I think I speak for most when I say "BALLL, yes!"
by gadj1976
Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 3....and they start to appear.

Changing the rule from 10m to 15m is just nuts. And I really can't stand changing rules when it's subjective. When they changed the mark rule from 10m to 15m I said it was crazy because all you're doing is changing the subjectivity. It's still grey. NUTZ!
by gadj1976
Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Horse Racing Tips & Discussion

gadj1976 wrote:Syndicate bet is BR2 4 Elegant Composure.

BR 4 5 Another Whiskey

AR 6 10 Runway Star

AR 8 2 Don't Doubt Mumma

MR 4 8 Armada

MR 5 6 Telopea

Win
Win
Third
Win
Nothing
Fourth
by gadj1976
Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 5 & its ensuing palaver.

I picked Melbourne and there is lots ti like about them but toward the end of the game there were some things that concerned me about their mental state.

Jones mouthing off to Cotchin to me means they are getting ahead of themselves. Viney's reaction at the end of the game wasn't exactly what I expected. It's almost like they weren't expecting to win.

Good win but they will need to back it up next week. Back to back wins for the first time in 5 years is great but it should be the start, not the end.
by gadj1976
Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R6: Sturt v Port - Sunday 1 May @ Peter Motley Oval

Go Blues, great win. Who cares what they dished up, we won, easily and it's "Port". Enjoy the win lads.
by gadj1976
Sun May 01, 2016 9:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 6.... free kick to Hawthorn

Well finally forced myself into watching yesterday's game, the less said the better. Not many positives apart from the continued improvement of Hartley and Parish. Both sides going nowhere fast. This will be the start of a rough month or so where some real batterings will come. Need to keep playing the kids and hope Freo doesn't cost us Ainsworth[emoji1]

Disagree Jimbo, we're on the way. It's a long "way" but we're going forward quickly enough for it to be positive. For the first time in a long time, we are displaying some structure and a defence. We are burning the ball like no mans at the moment but that will come. Our inside 50 entries are appalling but that moreso reflects our non-forward line (or should I say our forward line that now play at other clubs?). Casboult is a huge concern. He clunks it like no mans but can't kick.

From where we've come from and people saying we wouldn't win a game, I'd say what we're doing is really good. You can see that Bolton has us playing a good game style that will win games of footy in the future. Yep, we mighn't be any good this year and maybe next but get games into the Curnow's, Weitering's, Plowman's etc and I can see a future for us.... FINALLY.
by gadj1976
Mon May 02, 2016 9:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 9 in all its folderol...

MW wrote:will anyone be watching AFL on Sunday either at the ground or on TV? the most uninspiring day of AFL ever.

GWS vs Bullies will be good to watch IMO.
by gadj1976
Wed May 18, 2016 7:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Carlton

Personally I still can't see Cas playing. Last week we had one tall forward in Jones and he wasn't our worst. So why would you drop Jones for Cas? Especially against Taylor Lonergan Henderson? I would not be surprised if both were late withdrawals.
by gadj1976
Sat May 28, 2016 11:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hawthorn 2016

HAWTHORN star Jarryd Roughead will undergo immunotherapy treatment over the next year to treat his cancer.

Roughead's melanoma, which first appeared on his lip last season and forced him to miss two games, has returned and spread internally.

Roughead has four small spots on his lung and a biopsy last week confirmed a diagnosis of melanoma.
The advantages of Roughead's treatment is he won't have to undergo chemotherapy and suffer those side effects.

The 29-year-old will start treatment next week, which will go of 12 months.

"When the news hit two weeks ago it was shock and I didn't really believe it," Roughead said.

"Now we've had the biopsy and seen the doctors it was 'Righto, let's get going'."

Roughead said he would remain around the football club and travel with his teammates this season as he undergoes his treatment.

"I'm not feeling down at the moment, because I know what I have to do. It's not like I'm going anywhere," Roughead said.
Roughead said he had heard rumours of his retirement, but said he hasn't given away his football career.
"I'm 29 and I've got two-and-a-half years on my deal," he sa

Best of luck to the big fella. I reckon everyone from every supporter base is in his corner.
by gadj1976
Tue May 31, 2016 10:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I happened to stumble across Chris McDermott's article in the paper where he rated all the teams. I don't know if I was reading it wrong or not, but I thought I saw him give Carlton a C and Melbourne a B-. If that is the case, I can't fathom what gear he's on.

For a team that was widely regarded as 'the worst list' and tipped to finish 18 and lose to Essendon, maybe twice, I think it's a fantastic effort in a VERY short time to turn around this group.

Well done Bolts, keep up the good work.
by gadj1976
Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: General tv discussion thread - good, bad, axings etc etc

JK wrote:OITNB lost me pretty early in season 2 - Does it get better?

Ditto JK. I didn't go back either.
by gadj1976
Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Perfervid scrutiny of Round 15

Carlton supporter... picked Worst Coast.....hate Essendon but by Christ the umpires are shockingly biased at home for Worst Coast. No wonder they struggle on the road.
by gadj1976
Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL teams to stay, clubs to receive $250k this year - Ol

If you blokes are so pi$$ed off about the SANFL and its future, close down this site, why bother posting your continual bile, walk away find something else in life to complain about. The comp is different, it is still a good comp with all our historic clubs competing, the players are committed young men playing to a great standard. Go and watch, support your club and maybe the future won't be a bleak as you're all hoping it should be.

Good post. People need to support their own clubs more than ever. Trashing the competition does nothing to help it prosper.

too bad the club delegates didnt think that way when they voted to introduce the reserves sides. that has done far more to trash the competition than any posts on here have ever done.

I dare say they were lured by money and removal of sanctions, (ie, to save their own club) rather than the good of the competition.
by gadj1976
Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Would any SANFL team consider 'John Butcher' next year?

as a runner, fitness coach, waterboy????
by gadj1976
Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL teams to stay, clubs to receive $250k this year - Ol

If you blokes are so pi$$ed off about the SANFL and its future, close down this site, why bother posting your continual bile, walk away find something else in life to complain about. The comp is different, it is still a good comp with all our historic clubs competing, the players are committed young men playing to a great standard. Go and watch, support your club and maybe the future won't be a bleak as you're all hoping it should be.

It will be even more different and even more diminished if the AFL get their way and put in a mid year draft. Where do you reckon the players are going to get drafted from?

In the situation of the draft occurring today, you'd have to think Sturt would be hit reasonably hard by other teams looking for players. It just means clubs get interfered with on a grander scale than they currently are.

I'm all for opportunity but it will have massive flow on effects if they bring it in.
by gadj1976
Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 19 with alacrity

First time in a very long time I managed 9 in my footy tips.
by gadj1976
Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well done 1AW and Jamo. They went through some really dark times at Princes Park but we're only better off for their tireless efforts.
by gadj1976
Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Volta vinte e um ( Round 21 )

My 7 yo son is leading our footy tips and hasn't got a tip wrong so far.
by gadj1976
Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 23 - The bitter end, for some.

The Eagles are peaking at just the right time of year

Indeed they are MT. They looked like a team that could go all the way however I still think their ruck will hurt them in the finals. Whether their midfield can counter that will be the big question mark.

As for the Crows, I haven't seen them play so badly for years - and still they got within 20 odd points, so all is not lost.
by gadj1976
Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

I walked into the work kitchen to hear two Collingwood supporters with no affilation to the SANFL clubs saying how vindicated they felt after Adelaide lost to Sturt because it proved that despite them having no injuries, they weren't good enough to beat an SANFL club outright. One said "hopefully it puts that conversation to bed".

I let them continue....

Then one said "we got flogged by the Bulldogs in the VFL, but that's more so because we rested Cox and a few others and sent a lad off for surgery because the season is over".

That's when I interjected.

In my eyes, both conversations contradict each other. Collingwood didn't have anything to play for, but the Bulldogs did. Adelaide didn't have anything to play for but the Bulldogs did. Yep, the Adelaide mob didn't send guys off for surgery but the results were the same.

Sturts only hope of beating Adelaide in my eyes, was for Adelaide to get beaten on the Saturday night.

Just my opinion of course!
by gadj1976
Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Cancer, **** you!! Lost A mate today Id been lucky to know for 27 years, diagnosed only about a month ago. A bloke that wouldn't have an enemy in the world, such a truly beautiful person. Life can be so cruel :(

Why don't we hear of rapists paedophiles or mass murderers getting cancer. If there is a god then these filthy pricks should be first to go.

Comisserations JK its truly dreadful news.
by gadj1976
Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 SANFL Grand Final - Sunday Sep 25 (Adelaide Oval)

Well its taken 41/42 years but I've finally seen my side win a GF in person. 2002 I was best man at my mates wedding. This year I got to go. And far out that was amazing.

I took my 7yo and he was rapt. He really got into it. I really hope that he engages with the SANFL now and continues on the tradition of us 70s and 80s kids who followed one team in the local comp and one in the VFL/national comp.

I also wonder if he realises how lucky he is. His second game of SANFL and he sees his team win a flag!

Go Blues. ******* fantastic!
by gadj1976
Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Brownlow Medal 2016

Marc Murphys fiance
by gadj1976
Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Footy 2016

I was in a meeting last night so couldn't post;

5 leg multi, all highest votegetters per team.

Parker (Syd) into Sloane (Adel) into Coniglio (GWS) into Rockliff (Bris) into Merrett (Ess) which got up.

I've had a few hopefuls on the weekend, all around WB getting up.

WB 20-29
WB 30-39
WB 15+
Boyd Norm Smith @ 21

I'll have a look at Sydney's odds tonight and put some more on re: margin/line and Norm Smith.

15+ paid 4 bucks.
20-29 paid 11 bucks

I got Johannisen in our sweep which collected me 43 bucks.

Nice day out.
by gadj1976
Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

LPH wrote:A good day for Punters means a shite day for me!
Only Seaburge gave me any joy today - had he got up, the $51 would've made everything 'rosy'...
Oh well, always next week :)

R u a bookie LPH?
by gadj1976
Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Celebrity Casualties

"Yoohoo I'm home."

"Hello Ted, how was your day?"

"Bloody shambles of course. Someone should blow <arbitrary noun> up!"

RIP Ross.

You mean 'Arbitrary nun'!

That just reminded me of my favorite scene. ...

Ted: Don't dad me boy I'm your father.

Craig: Yeh Yeh sure dad

Ted: When I was a boy...

Craig interupts : Oh hear we go...

Ted : Too right we go....When I was a boy we were so poor we had to walk 10 miles with a sheep in each pocket just to keep our hands warm.
by gadj1976
Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I was told by a mate that the owners have set Jameka for this and last week was a trial run.

I took it at 4 bucks on Betfair.
by gadj1976
Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

JK wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:I was told by a mate that the owners have set Jameka for this and last week was a trial run.

I took it at 4 bucks on Betfair.

Interesting to see Mick Dittman reckons it wont finish in the first 4 ... Think it's the one to beat on exposed Oz form

And I got on again at 4.40 thankyou very much.
by gadj1976
Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Point taken & fair enough, but to be fair:
Both Trifectas I put up, plus the Quaddie, plus Jameka & Scottish, plus First Seal.
The others I backed at the track in the Members & just saying what a good day I had there.
I also tipped you all Patition in the 1st Race (Hutchy tipped both it & Swampland on Get On, I took Swampland because the place dividend with Robbie Waterhouse on track was so much better).
Perhaps I got a little over excited about the day, but it cost us over a 'Monkey' to go this weekend, & I actually ended up in front overall, so I was a little happy with myself - but I'll keep it in mind

I was responding to the question about the rules, not having a go at you LPH.

Good work yesterday by the way, keep up the good work.
by gadj1976
Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 Silly Season, Trades and Rumours and utter BS

Tuohy + Carlton's 2017 second for Smedts and Geelong's 2017 first.

Geelong really all in now aren't they? Giving up a 1st rounder for Touhy.

Yep. About pick 15 at the end of the day. And Gibbs will be pick 13 and maybe an add on. Just goes to show you that its pointless comparing deals from trade to trade let alone year to year.
by gadj1976
Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fell Swoop just missed apparently - haven't seen the race, just got home.
Happy with the Place Bet on Tuesday but the $18 would've been nicer!

It's destined never to win a G1!

Seriously FS should've won. Rebel Dane got a rails run and took off, almost nabbed by FS. I think the official margin was a neck.
by gadj1976
Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Can't believe people are saying it's a failure we didn't get Gibbs. They wanted two bloody first rounders!!

The same people would be on here saying the crows got screwed if we paid that.
I cant believe its still being talked about just because its the crows. Any other clubs & its over with :roll:

I think it's more spoken about because of dicks the likes of McDermott, Jarman and Cornes.

Jarman says the crows get a pass mark for this trade period and port get a fail. Simply how?

Cornes gives the crows 4 for the period and Port 2. Again how?

I'm obviously a power man but the Crows lost a player and gained none. Yes, Port didn't gain or lose a player but have ended up with 4 picks in the top 31 in what's known as a very strong draft. Unless I've missed something.

Port wanted to trade, everyone knows that but couldn't get a suiter for Lobbe and Mainly Hartlett, Who knows this could be a wake up call for Gartlett but, No-one has any idea on the discussions that take place between clubs. So when idiots so 'oh they just sat there' etc etc please!

Reasons no 811, 812, 813 and 814 not to listen to these imbeciles.
by gadj1976
Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Who in their right mind of those contracted to Adelaide would leave for Carlton though?

Even if you are yet to debut for Adelaide, surely backing yourself in here is better than going to Carlton who, despite in roads, are a long, long way off doing anything meaningful.
I heard a stat on the radio not too long ago, I forget the exact detail, but the gist was that no club that's finished bottom in the past ten or twenty years or so has won the flag since. I think Brisbane was an exception, but they got preferential draft treatment etc.
That would mean, statistically, that no one at Carlton now will still be there when we win our next flag.

Hopefully not Trigg
by gadj1976
Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm seriously contemplating giving it all up.

Pretty much all of my analysis turns out incorrect. I just cannot read this at all and it's driving me nutz.
by gadj1976
Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer

I barrack for Carlton and even I can't wait till footy returns.
by gadj1976
Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Player movement 2017

I m not looking forward to watching Leinert line up against us next year.
I enjoyed watching his old man play for Sturt, and I have watched him develop with interest. Taking the next step and becoming an AFL player is something we have learned to live with, way back in the days when Motley, Viney, Russell and co were all being drafted.
It ******* well stinks that they should line up with another SANFL side because they have been chosen to take that next step.
How the hell are we supposed to react on the terraces where Leinert tears it up fo rthe Magpies at Unley? Can't hate the man, he's one of ours! The only reason he's at Port is to have a chance to play AFL. Do we give him a polite golf clap then? Do we treat the game as a meaningless exhibition whose only real purpose is to develop those reserves palyers out on the park?
******* Port and Crows are ******* stinkers for pushing this reserves agenda through.
Anyone who doesn't feel the same basically has no passion for the SANFL.

That's what the SANFL are trying to do - make them all meaningless exhibition games. Us supporters are being pushed into corners we shouldn't be by having these situations occur.
by gadj1976
Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Controversial Run Out

As I've said a million times since the third umpire came into play. The "benefit of the doubt" is gone. Otherwise, why refer it, unless you're looking for a reason to give him out?
by gadj1976
Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

First day of a week's holidays started yesterday.
Two vehicles packed with wife, kids, dog, bikes, scooters etc
Leave early so I can get there by 10am to watch my Steelers in the NFL playoffs.
Little miss 6 needs a toilet stop & the dog has the lead twisted numerous times around her hind leg, so we pull over on the Kulpara to Paskeville road. Wife gets back in her car - and nothing, it won't start. F*CK! So I put wife & kids in my van and send them on their way whilst I ring the RAA. Now it's just me and my Kelpie, Lenny - and 8 million flies and ants and the humidity and the warm wind. The RAA bloke has to come from Kadina, says he'll be half an hour or so. He arrives actually in less time than that, tries numerous things/tests, can't get it going. "Have to tow it to the Kadina dealership" he tells me. A rope tow, bloody hell! Never did that before, that's hairy at times doing 90 km p/hour with bugger all steering or brakes and only a car length between you.
Arrive at dealership, service manager informs me he can't get the car seen to until next Tues, they're flat out plus it's a short week. That's no good, we head home on Saturday. He was trying his best to work something out and told me to leave it with him. Now I needed a ride (and Lenny) to Pt Hughes where we're staying. (Wife couldn't come & get me as she only had the van which seats 3 and couldn't leave kids alone as they're only 6 & 4). So I have to wait for my RAA friend who is the other side of Wallaroo doing a job. Finally he picks me and my patient furry offsider up, but can't fit in what luggage we had in broken down car. Eventually arrive at holiday house, get straight in the van and drive back to Kadina to retrieve luggage.
3pm, almost 5 f#cking hours later and I can try to relax.
Oh , and the Steelers got knocked out and the dealership rang this morning saying they found time to look at our car and it's a fuel pump. Part sent from Adelaide tomorrow, fitted on Thursday - $980 thanks very much.
I may drink a little more than usual this week.

Spargo, you're a mate of HH3. Let me know if you're in need of accommodation that side of the Peninsula next time. We have a holiday house at North Beach (just north of Wallaroo) we can look after you.
by gadj1976
Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

First day of a week's holidays started yesterday.
Two vehicles packed with wife, kids, dog, bikes, scooters etc
Leave early so I can get there by 10am to watch my Steelers in the NFL playoffs.
Little miss 6 needs a toilet stop & the dog has the lead twisted numerous times around her hind leg, so we pull over on the Kulpara to Paskeville road. Wife gets back in her car - and nothing, it won't start. F*CK! So I put wife & kids in my van and send them on their way whilst I ring the RAA. Now it's just me and my Kelpie, Lenny - and 8 million flies and ants and the humidity and the warm wind. The RAA bloke has to come from Kadina, says he'll be half an hour or so. He arrives actually in less time than that, tries numerous things/tests, can't get it going. "Have to tow it to the Kadina dealership" he tells me. A rope tow, bloody hell! Never did that before, that's hairy at times doing 90 km p/hour with bugger all steering or brakes and only a car length between you.
Arrive at dealership, service manager informs me he can't get the car seen to until next Tues, they're flat out plus it's a short week. That's no good, we head home on Saturday. He was trying his best to work something out and told me to leave it with him. Now I needed a ride (and Lenny) to Pt Hughes where we're staying. (Wife couldn't come & get me as she only had the van which seats 3 and couldn't leave kids alone as they're only 6 & 4). So I have to wait for my RAA friend who is the other side of Wallaroo doing a job. Finally he picks me and my patient furry offsider up, but can't fit in what luggage we had in broken down car. Eventually arrive at holiday house, get straight in the van and drive back to Kadina to retrieve luggage.
3pm, almost 5 f#cking hours later and I can try to relax.
Oh , and the Steelers got knocked out and the dealership rang this morning saying they found time to look at our car and it's a fuel pump. Part sent from Adelaide tomorrow, fitted on Thursday - $980 thanks very much.
I may drink a little more than usual this week.

Spargo, you're a mate of HH3. Let me know if you're in need of accommodation that side of the Peninsula next time. We have a holiday house at North Beach (just north of Wallaroo) we can look after you.

gadj1976 Any chance I can use this holiday house at some point?

I'm a friend of Spargo s ;)

Friends of Spargo incur a 15% levy.
by gadj1976
Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

FINALLY.... picked a winner or two - and even better, at odds.

I'm back (temporarily!)

Tivaci and Mubakkir! Nice.
by gadj1976
Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: International Test Cricket

Not a Test match, but always pleasing to see the below.

T20I

India 6/202
Raina 63 (44)
Dhoni 56 (36)
Singh 27 (10)

England 127
Root 42 (37)
Morgan 40 (21)

However, F.O.W

3/119
4/119
5/119
6/123
7/127
8/127
9/127
10/127

8/8 in 19 balls. :lol:

Yawn. 20 20 giggle cricket. Who cares about this stuff?
by gadj1976
Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

gadj1976 wrote:I'm having great success tonight picking a winner... then laying it. I haven't lost money yet!

I'll see if I jinx myself, MR 8 1, layed at 12 bucks.

PHEW!
by gadj1976
Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Worst Club Song.

The Carlton , Port, Adelaide, Bulldogs, Brisbane, West Coast and Freo songs are all terrible.

The Geelong, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Essendon songs are ok.

I love St Kilda's song, we changed the words to to it to make it our unofficial cricket club song- When the Gulls (Seagulls) Go Marching In. It goes off when we're on the piss.

Really like North Melbourne's too and Richmond's is an obvious winner. Melbourne's and Sydney's are great too, all three of those staple songs for so many clubs so can't go wrong with them.

Pi%% off DK! Ours is awesome. You can console yourself by knowing you won't hear it very often at games' end. Sigh....
by gadj1976
Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 4

He third man up rule is a farce. Why was it even that big a deal in the first place?

Once again, the AFL make a rule without thinking through how the coaches and players will manipulate it. It's a complete joke, just like the 'not keeping the ball in' rule.

The competition is becoming an absolute joke.
by gadj1976
Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 5

As anyone who knows me well enough knows, I'm Carlton through and through. Tonight was tough. At work today, talking with Port faithful, I said "if we get within 8 goals, we've done well". They said "If we don't win by 10, we'll consider that a loss".

Given we had Polson playing his first game, Petrevski-Seton playing his fifth in a midfield with bigger AFL seasoned bodies like Wines, Boak, Broadbent, Polek etc, I thought we might be struggling getting our hands near it - Ryder back vs Phillips didn't help.

So 15 is about right'ish. We were horrible for most parts of the game. The second half of the first quarter, we stifled Port's run and it looked like we were working back into the game, however our finishing was shocking. The second quarter I thought we held our own but again our finishing was horrendous.

The third, we stopped running. Our tackling at that point was nigh on non existent and Port streamed through our defensive line at half forward/centre with ease, meaning our backs had no chance. For what its worth, i thought our best were our defence. Murphy and Gibbs weren't our worst, but definitely need help in there.

The last quarter was always going to be 'floodgates' at 20 paces. We kicked 4 after kicking only 2 for the first three quarters but leaked goals again. That's the highest score we've conceded this year but I fear it's not going to be our worst.

Port were good, but not great. To me, they lack that killer instinct. Really really good sides would've beaten us to a pulp tonight and Port didn't. 15 goals is a good win but it doesn't quite capture the gulf between the two sides for mine. To give you some idea - we had 7 teenagers, 10 blokes less than 12 games, 11 blokes 25 games or less.

Anyway, good night out had by all. I had a James Squire 6 pack that cost 60 bucks at the footy but I digress....

Going forward, our major concern in the next five years is that we have no mids other than Cripps. Curnow (Ed), Murph, Simmo and Gibbs will all be gone. Kruezer will be done and dusted in about 3 years time. Phillips isn't the answer... so who's next??? Some holes to fill but overall I'm still staying positive. I was there 3 years ago when we got done by 103 points and there was no bright light, no future. At least this time I can cling to something!
by gadj1976
Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 5

As anyone who knows me well enough knows, I'm Carlton through and through. Tonight was tough. At work today, talking with Port faithful, I said "if we get within 8 goals, we've done well". They said "If we don't win by 10, we'll consider that a loss".

Given we had Polson playing his first game, Petrevski-Seton playing his fifth in a midfield with bigger AFL seasoned bodies like Wines, Boak, Broadbent, Polek etc, I thought we might be struggling getting our hands near it - Ryder back vs Phillips didn't help.

So 15 is about right'ish. We were horrible for most parts of the game. The second half of the first quarter, we stifled Port's run and it looked like we were working back into the game, however our finishing was shocking. The second quarter I thought we held our own but again our finishing was horrendous.

The third, we stopped running. Our tackling at that point was nigh on non existent and Port streamed through our defensive line at half forward/centre with ease, meaning our backs had no chance. For what its worth, i thought our best were our defence. Murphy and Gibbs weren't our worst, but definitely need help in there.

The last quarter was always going to be 'floodgates' at 20 paces. We kicked 4 after kicking only 2 for the first three quarters but leaked goals again. That's the highest score we've conceded this year but I fear it's not going to be our worst.

Port were good, but not great. To me, they lack that killer instinct. Really really good sides would've beaten us to a pulp tonight and Port didn't. 15 goals is a good win but it doesn't quite capture the gulf between the two sides for mine. To give you some idea - we had 7 teenagers, 10 blokes less than 12 games, 11 blokes 25 games or less.

Anyway, good night out had by all. I had a James Squire 6 pack that cost 60 bucks at the footy but I digress....

Going forward, our major concern in the next five years is that we have no mids other than Cripps. Curnow (Ed), Murph, Simmo and Gibbs will all be gone. Kruezer will be done and dusted in about 3 years time. Phillips isn't the answer... so who's next??? Some holes to fill but overall I'm still staying positive. I was there 3 years ago when we got done by 103 points and there was no bright light, no future. At least this time I can cling to something!

I wish I could be as positive as you mate.
We just don't have enough top end talent and our leaders just aren't good enough.
We have plenty of first round picks playing but unfortunately for them they are playing as the number 1 forward or defender.
At any of the top teams they'd be the 3rd defender and have experienced guys around them to help out.
I feel for Weitering, Marchbank, Cripps and co. as they just don't have the leaders around them they require.

Not sure what the answer is as they tried recruiting mature recruits and got that horribly wrong as well.

Appointing Malthouse as coach was the worse thing they could have ever done but that's in the past now and time to move forward.

Absolutely Amber, we're in a hole BUT Marchbank, Weitering and Plowman will form the nucleus of our defence for 10 years. Not to say they'll be first, second and third pick each week but it's better than what we had.

Ditto for Silvagni and Curnow (Charlie). It's something to build around. We're in for a hell of a lot of pain still in the next two years but like I said, this time I can see the 'reset' is actually going to work. At season's end, I think we need to let Gibbs go to Adelaide and even see if Levi is worth anything on the open market. Ultimately, if Murphy wanted to go, I wouldn't be shutting that down in a hurry either. If we finish up with two first rounders going into next year, that will be a launching pad for 2020.

Under Malthouse we were getting mixed messages about a rebuild, not being in a rebuild, going 'undefeated' etc, etc.

I think we have to stay positive.... what's the alternative?? I refuse to look back at how I felt in the Malthouse days, despite my mates reminding me daily about Betts/Thomas trade period debacle.

BTW, Thomas now NEEDS to stay in the ressies. He isn't part of the future of the club, so has to stay behind and educate the young guys on how to get a cheap kick out wide and then not deliver it to team mates.
by gadj1976
Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Round 3

1.16 after quarter time. Who's their goalkicking coach, Travis Cloke?
by gadj1976
Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |