Search found 34 matches

Return

Re: Crows 2014

Port are only a suburb. Crows are the team for all south Australians. No big deal I would have thought
by Stumps
Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows Disgrace

From Indaily today- very well written and a sentiment I agree with
Dear Port fans: you just don’t get it David Washington | 6 February 2014 Victorian and South Australian players before the 1988 state of origin match.
Comment |

Dear Port Adelaide fans: I’m terribly sorry you feel so “disappointed” about the Crows wearing a replica of the old South Australian state guernsey in one game this year.

Would you like me to pour you a cup of tea? Or maybe massage your shoulders?

Settle in, because I’m going to tell you a story.

Once upon a time, in an Adelaide far, far away, the city was divided into football tribes. Some of them were very old, like your mob, which joined the competition that came to be known as the SANFL in 1877. My mob Norwood, relative latecomers, joined the competition in 1878.

Some of the teams had extraordinary periods of dominance – Norwood in the first years of the comp and again in the 1920s; Port in the 1950s and the 1980s; Sturt ruled the late 1960s with a sublime run of five flags. Even West Adelaide had their time in the sun, during the first decade of the 20th century.

Some clubs enjoyed very little success. South Adelaide, one of the early powerhouses of the competition, captured its last premiership in 1964. Yet, you could argue that its long-suffering fans are the most loyal in the whole competition. To front up week after week in the face of such a drought of success? That’s passion.

Every year, the best players from the competition would be selected to play against some of the other states, wearing the state colours. The game that really counted was against Victoria. On rare occasions, we won, sparking wild celebrations.

In the early 1990s, your club was clearly the most successful in terms of Premierships won. But in a competition of such long history and passion, did this mean your club was of greater intrinsic value than any other? No. All of the teams had history, pride and passion worth preserving and celebrating. Well – that’s what most of us believed.

Your club’s custodians disagreed. They believed that Port was indeed greater than the whole, and decided to make a run for the big league – the infant AFL, which was, at the time, nothing more than a slightly expanded version of the VFL.

The rest of the SANFL clubs and fans were blindsided, so a hasty compromise was put together. The Adelaide Crows, wearing the state colours, would join the AFL – it would be “the team for all South Australians”. It was, at the time, a team put together with a few outsiders, but mostly star SANFL players – including from Port.

See what I”m getting at?

The SANFL competition was immediately affected. After decades of our best players streaming across the border chasing money and glory in the VFL, the presence of a local team laid further waste to the talent in the local competition. More than 100 years of history mattered little in the face of this new world of glitz and glamour.

A few years later, you joined the AFL – in doing so, you became the only existing club from a competition outside the VFL to be allowed in. It was a gift that no other SANFL fan will experience, at least in the foreseeable future.

I cannot even begin to imagine the joy of seeing Norwood players run on to the MCG in an AFL final – or even a home and away game.

Understand? No?

Back to the story.

The fabric of the SANFL competition was again stretched thin. After some early success, your SANFL club – the Magpies – started to fray and falter, which was bittersweet to those of us who remembered the fierce battles of the past.

The SANFL was altered forever. No matter how much we told ourselves that it was “real” footy, old-fashioned suburban footy, it became a shadow of its former great self.

The days of standing room only crowds at tiny suburban grounds were over.

We would never again see some of the country’s best players slip on our club’s jumper while in their prime.

Premierships, while moments of undoubted joy, had lost a few degrees of sweetness.

Can you comprehend any of the sense of loss that the rest of us might feel?

Can you understand that, while many of us support the Crows in the AFL, our SANFL history is still vitally important to us? That we feel it slipping away as the new generations of football supporters only have eyes for the AFL? That we can see a day coming when the proud history of a club like Norwood will only be remembered by sad old timers (that would be us), regaling young bucks with stories while they try to disguise a yawn?

Can you grasp – in any way – that the proud history of the SANFL is something we want to celebrate, that we have a right to celebrate, through the achievements of the Adelaide Football Club?

No-one watching the Crows step out on to Adelaide Oval wearing a replica state jumper will equate these modern day players with the representative champions of the past. No-one believes that they have “won” a position in a state side.

It’s a nod – and a slight one at that – to what little living heritage remains for the legions of fans who grew up supporting SANFL clubs other than Port Adelaide, and who have followed an AFL club that was started by the SANFL and, in its early years, attempted to represent us all.

The links are tenuous, yes, I agree – nothing like your ability to barrack for the same Port Adelaide that was formed back in 1870, a fact you celebrate on the back of your AFL jumper. That’s a feeling that the rest of us will likely never know.

So will you give us this one nod to our past? Will you put yourselves in our shoes for a moment?

No. I see you’re still disappointed.

You don’t know the meaning of the word.
by Stumps
Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

From Indaily today- very well written and a sentiment I agree with

Dear Port fans: you just don’t get it David Washington | 6 February 2014 Victorian and South Australian players before the 1988 state of origin match.
Comment |

Dear Port Adelaide fans: I’m terribly sorry you feel so “disappointed” about the Crows wearing a replica of the old South Australian state guernsey in one game this year.

Would you like me to pour you a cup of tea? Or maybe massage your shoulders?

Settle in, because I’m going to tell you a story.

Once upon a time, in an Adelaide far, far away, the city was divided into football tribes. Some of them were very old, like your mob, which joined the competition that came to be known as the SANFL in 1877. My mob Norwood, relative latecomers, joined the competition in 1878.

Some of the teams had extraordinary periods of dominance – Norwood in the first years of the comp and again in the 1920s; Port in the 1950s and the 1980s; Sturt ruled the late 1960s with a sublime run of five flags. Even West Adelaide had their time in the sun, during the first decade of the 20th century.

Some clubs enjoyed very little success. South Adelaide, one of the early powerhouses of the competition, captured its last premiership in 1964. Yet, you could argue that its long-suffering fans are the most loyal in the whole competition. To front up week after week in the face of such a drought of success? That’s passion.

Every year, the best players from the competition would be selected to play against some of the other states, wearing the state colours. The game that really counted was against Victoria. On rare occasions, we won, sparking wild celebrations.

In the early 1990s, your club was clearly the most successful in terms of Premierships won. But in a competition of such long history and passion, did this mean your club was of greater intrinsic value than any other? No. All of the teams had history, pride and passion worth preserving and celebrating. Well – that’s what most of us believed.

Your club’s custodians disagreed. They believed that Port was indeed greater than the whole, and decided to make a run for the big league – the infant AFL, which was, at the time, nothing more than a slightly expanded version of the VFL.

The rest of the SANFL clubs and fans were blindsided, so a hasty compromise was put together. The Adelaide Crows, wearing the state colours, would join the AFL – it would be “the team for all South Australians”. It was, at the time, a team put together with a few outsiders, but mostly star SANFL players – including from Port.

See what I”m getting at?

The SANFL competition was immediately affected. After decades of our best players streaming across the border chasing money and glory in the VFL, the presence of a local team laid further waste to the talent in the local competition. More than 100 years of history mattered little in the face of this new world of glitz and glamour.

A few years later, you joined the AFL – in doing so, you became the only existing club from a competition outside the VFL to be allowed in. It was a gift that no other SANFL fan will experience, at least in the foreseeable future.

I cannot even begin to imagine the joy of seeing Norwood players run on to the MCG in an AFL final – or even a home and away game.

Understand? No?

Back to the story.

The fabric of the SANFL competition was again stretched thin. After some early success, your SANFL club – the Magpies – started to fray and falter, which was bittersweet to those of us who remembered the fierce battles of the past.

The SANFL was altered forever. No matter how much we told ourselves that it was “real” footy, old-fashioned suburban footy, it became a shadow of its former great self.

The days of standing room only crowds at tiny suburban grounds were over.

We would never again see some of the country’s best players slip on our club’s jumper while in their prime.

Premierships, while moments of undoubted joy, had lost a few degrees of sweetness.

Can you comprehend any of the sense of loss that the rest of us might feel?

Can you understand that, while many of us support the Crows in the AFL, our SANFL history is still vitally important to us? That we feel it slipping away as the new generations of football supporters only have eyes for the AFL? That we can see a day coming when the proud history of a club like Norwood will only be remembered by sad old timers (that would be us), regaling young bucks with stories while they try to disguise a yawn?

Can you grasp – in any way – that the proud history of the SANFL is something we want to celebrate, that we have a right to celebrate, through the achievements of the Adelaide Football Club?

No-one watching the Crows step out on to Adelaide Oval wearing a replica state jumper will equate these modern day players with the representative champions of the past. No-one believes that they have “won” a position in a state side.

It’s a nod – and a slight one at that – to what little living heritage remains for the legions of fans who grew up supporting SANFL clubs other than Port Adelaide, and who have followed an AFL club that was started by the SANFL and, in its early years, attempted to represent us all.

The links are tenuous, yes, I agree – nothing like your ability to barrack for the same Port Adelaide that was formed back in 1870, a fact you celebrate on the back of your AFL jumper. That’s a feeling that the rest of us will likely never know.

So will you give us this one nod to our past? Will you put yourselves in our shoes for a moment?

No. I see you’re still disappointed.

You don’t know the meaning of the word.
by Stumps
Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Of course Betts was better in the second half, the Crows were winning easily.
Massive front runner, struggles to get a kick when the game is in the balance

Be interested if you can name a small forward/forward pocket who plays well when the side is struggling. Toughest position on the ground when the team is playing poorly
by Stumps
Fri May 23, 2014 4:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 4th Umpire making calls?

Should be the same as hockey/soccer
Make a signal to signify a free but only blow the whistle if no advantage essentially
by Stumps
Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to Gamble/How not to Gamble

the other thing that annoys me about a trifecta is when people say I nearly won a massive divi on the trifecta/ quaddy/whatever, what they dont tell you is the 1 horse they chose different to the result was actually the favourite meaning if it had run a place/won the trifecta div sould have been sweetFA.
by Stumps
Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dangerfield Ouch

He either has a very low tolerance to pain & discomfort or he's a hypochondriac who loves the attention. Tough? Not even in the same galax y as Joel Selwood. :oops:

Sanderson has been really heavily involved with both Selwood and Dangerfield, and said on Monday night that Dangerfield is the most courageous player he has ever seen or coached. It seems an interesting call really, hard to compare to previous generations (some there harder than a cats head) but I'm sure he has a pretty good idea of who belongs in what footy galaxy with these two.

Dangerfield will continue to get banged up until he learns an outside game. He spends more time inside than Selwood who has the ability to be a receiver also. Dangerfield needs to be a better disposal he is going to do that. Does he overplay the knocks? Hard to know, but I'd rather him busting his nut to win the ball and be a little over the top sore, than have him sit back and be second to the pill.
\

Surely they are both equally tough. Why does someone have to be the best all the time. Never seen either of them flinch, not back into a pack, not get the hard ball.
Both guns,both as hard as anyone who has played or will play the game
by Stumps
Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Taity's back!!!!

Keep it on the topic thanks
by Stumps
Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mike Sheehans Top 50 for 2014

Gary Ablett is the best player in the comp at the moment even with his shoulder in a sling
by Stumps
Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australia v Saffers - One day Series

Wade is batting well tonight. If he could keep I'd be tempted to even call him an allrounder
by Stumps
Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

Yeah I agree, I was going to say his family. Could have easily made it a closed shop but they allowed the world to pay their own respects in a service that lost not of its intimacy, country feel, or class as a result.
by Stumps
Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Aus v Ind Test Series

free to air live every day
by Stumps
Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Agree re excelsior..decent pub that one..mixed grill the go
by Stumps
Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Best pub in Adelaide
1. Wheaty
2 daylight

Sounds a great day JK
by Stumps
Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Another burger place opening up in the west soon Booney on port road hindmarsh- the people who own nordburger and its gonna be licenced!
by Stumps
Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ATCA 2014/15.

dont kick stumps. its not nice
by Stumps
Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

decent food there..you will like it[/quote]

Is it pricey mate?[/quote]

Dont remember it being too bad at all, depends on what u get I suppose Ie..Dips and meatballs pretty economical whereas the seafood adds up.
by Stumps
Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Godden Steps Down as State Coach

Good appointment, get off this whole glenelg thing, I am sure he is neutral.. he loves the state, as he said this morning it is football and you dont have to be a rocket scientist to work out stoppage structures for state footy.
I am really happy with Cornesy getting the gig.. hope the team do well
by Stumps
Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Worst Movies

Monument men
Big names shocking movie
by Stumps
Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I need to know....

RustyCage wrote:Does anyone recognize this guy in the grey tshirt? I swear I've seen him on TV or in a band or something, he just seems very familiar to me.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425692176.126912.jpg

is it just me or does it look like mark knopfler
by Stumps
Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Chuck Sacked

heater31 wrote:Adam Gilchrist, Pat Howard and David Parkin to be the selection panel for the new coach :shock:

whats wrong with that?. At least the same people that have made the same crap decisions for x amount of years wont be involved
by Stumps
Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Frank Worral and Ashes Tours

one can catch the other cant probably the selectors thinking
by Stumps
Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Horse Racing Tips & Discussion

Yes. The Monday meeting is now on wed and the wed meet at Warwick farm cancelled
by Stumps
Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Frank Worral and Ashes Tours

bennymacca wrote:
UK Fan wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Well I've spoken to saca members who weren't aware, so cool story.

Sure you have mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LEt me guess you arent a SACA member ???

You been whacked around the head a few times?

please answer the question
by Stumps
Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Ashes

Agree with the decision to put Nevill in but no way he is a better keeper than Haddin. His lateral movement behind the stumps to the quicks is much slower and he doesn't get to balls that haddin would . Haddin is world class Nevill is serviceable. As you say though batting is a big thing now and we have enough blokes who can give it a wack..another grinder (as In Nevill) is v handy for team balance.
by Stumps
Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

oysters in renmark..gutsy
by Stumps
Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SA v WA Shield

5 fa now.

Just watched the dismissals and the Chad was rolling out some pretty handy nuts with nice shape. I'm calling it now, it's a big call but f@ck it I like to be controversial. Sayers is actually a better bowler than Worrall.

That's a massive call.

i reckon dean sayers is a better bowler than worrall and hes well over 60 now
by Stumps
Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Old Adelaide nightclubs

not exactly a night club but the old east end exchange with barby going in the beer garden??
Used to go very well

As did the royal in my underage days
by Stumps
Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australia v Windies - Test series

While I don't think a NCN is the right person the more I think about it the theory is right

Would u really want an attack with say Hazelwood, Siddle and Sayers. That is 3 bowlers almost identical and in the case of Siddle and Sayers they try and do the exact same think at high 120's early 130's

The attack definately did need some variation but NCN without playibg shield says some horrible messages

exactly the same pace except one is a more traditional round arm swing bowler and one is a high arm seam bowler. pretty different bowlers IMO
by Stumps
Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grade Cricket

Adelaide cc have the city's coat of arms on their crest and have the cities mayor as their patron. They are without doubt the most important club in the comp for this fact alone.
laughable being brought up by people who are seeing the small picture only
by Stumps
Mon May 09, 2016 12:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: North Melbourne 2016

Jase wrote:Im confused... all those Scott brothers look the same to me...

Don's the tall one
by Stumps
Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bands coming to Adelaide

Dutchy wrote:Going to Fowlers this Sat night for Superjesus, anyone know what time the headline act usually comes on there?

follow superjesus and fowlers on twitter, most bands/venues usually release set times on the day
by Stumps
Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Horse Racing Tips & Discussion

gutsy gutsy win by zed em in the brierly.
by Stumps
Tue May 02, 2017 3:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Netflix

New Ozark season out on the 31/8
by Stumps
Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |