Search found 5 matches

Return

Re: Round 17, Woodville West Torrens v Adelaide reserves

Yes agree . This is a fair it of spin . How many paid to get in ? Kids are free anyway. The Eagles use it to spruik attendance numbers . Good to get kids involved but where is the incentive for the Adults to stay . What has been done to keep the Parents stay ? Would love to hear that. It false numbers .
I would like to hear what your club has done to encourage people to go to a Crows game?

Sure there are many kids there but they are with adults who will spend money on food and drink.

It's also about building relationships with the community and the various organisations who had stalls there had planty of people visiting when I was there. Rather than take the narrow view of 'inflating crowd numbers', why not take the wider view of the Eagles actually doing something to promote their club. It's not actually about the Crows, it's using the absence of a reserve game to have masses of kids playing footy in a carnival with a community atmosphere. If the Eagles can also make some $ out of it, well and good.
by wedgetail
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: EAGLES 2020 PREMIERS

But, they've survived and prospered

That's the whole problem, West Torrens didn't survive the introduction of Woodville and the advent of the AFL. I went to Thebarton Oval the other week and was reminded of the terrific matches played there in the past. I personally think the new Eagles lost a huge chunk of the old West Torrens supporter base. Maybe they may have kept a few more if Thebarton had been used as their base but what would that have left Woodville with?
The loss of West Torrens was one of worst outcomes for football in this state.
Ronnie I have been a member since the merger. Personally I was for it. Previous to that I was an WT club member for about 15 years. I had seen mismanagement at its best. Does anyone remember Gordon Pickard coming in to offer help when we almost closed. It was embarrassing how some treated him. Year after year of no finals even though we had great playing lists. Since the merger there has been hardly a year when we have failed. I recall we still had reasonable crowds in the 90's. A game against North that attracted about 8k crowd at Woodville. My belief is the AFC has mainly been our downfall. We lost supporters and administrators. We were on a knife edge with supporters choosing the Crows. The local area was mainly older residents and this was a big factor as well. I actually live in the TT Gully area so I only attend matches. In my WT days we had a crew of about 10 that attended but since then we are down to about 3. Age and moving out of the club area has caught up to all. Centrals for example had a large ever growing area with many companies there. Unfortunately the closure of Holden's and supporting companies will hit them hard. West Adelaide has a similar problem to us. Were both landlocked residents wise. Someone earlier mentioned us having PA area to get supporters. Good luck to that.
by goddy11
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 SANFL Grand Final WWT Eagles v Glenelg Sunday 3pm

A brilliant 4-quarter performance by the Eagles.

I thought if the Eagles could match the bay midfield, their potency forward could provide enough to win the game. To have all of Dan and Troy Menzel and Stengle with goals in the first quarter was a great sign. Never under-estimate the work Angus Poole and Jack Firns do up forward though. Firns role didn’t just nullify Curran - he provided a genuine contest at CHF and often came out on top, every single time. His finals series was outstanding and he must be one of Sheedy’s favourite players. I thought he was next best to Jack Hayes. If that was Poole’s last game, I am very sorry to see him go. He was one of the few who always had what it takes for finals football. His courage and pressure is immense. His standards always high, he has been a wonderful player for the Eagles who I’d hope could be talked in to going around again.

The defence was impenetrable. A legacy of the set up left from the Godden era, Luke Thompson, Pat Giuffreda and Sam Rowland are often the last line and often come up with the ball. Every bit as brilliant at their defensive craft as the Menzel’s and Stengle are up forward. Luke Beecken was this years young gun who played with an inflated confidence Sheedy seems to be able to give. Jungfer and his kamikaze style and good use of the ball is a gem. Lehmann and Cameron made sure the ball was brought to ground and playing the extra tall in defence proved a good decision. On a different day, Cameron could be just as useful up forward.

Games are won in the midfield and the big triple premiership ruckman was influential in giving his midfielders first use of the ball. Tsitas, Lonergan and Sinor provide the much needed grunt a premiership winning midfield needs. Knowing Glenelg have the same caliber of players makes this win even sweeter. Knight has been brilliant and a great replacement for Foote. Mutch became better as the season progressed and had a great Grand Final and Finals series - always handy to be competent on both feet. Toumpas, I believe, is three Premiership wins from three Grand Finals and has been one of the leading possession getters on the wing in all three games. Pudney and Comma forced their way in to the league side through performance after just missing out this year. Comma looms as the new Gus Poole if Poole does retire. He is fearless.

Then there is Jack Hayes. The best player in the SANFL. The Jack Oatey medalist playing with a fracture in his leg. He leads from the front and is a force no other side has. Ruck, Ruck Rover, Centre Half Forward, he has all those old positions covered. He deserves a chance at the highest level.

The lead in the first quarter was handy. The 2nd was an arm wrestle - Glenelg did well to hold the Eagles for the first 15 minutes, the Eagles did equally well to hold Glenelg before half time. The half time wait was full of expectation of a Glenelg come back - but the Eagles through the dominant Redden, hit the scoreboard early and the tackling and smothers of Sinor in that 3rd quarter were proof Eagles weren’t letting Glenelg back in the game. The 4th quarter was pure bliss.

Back to back for the first time. The merged club now has 5 premierships and a Magarey Medallist. 1993, 2006, 2011, 2020 and 2021 sit forever alongside the flags of 1924, 1933, 1945 and 1953 at Oval Avenue. The stairway of legends continues to grow.
by Aerie
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Season 2022 Player Movements

Hayes should've gone in the regular draft. Bus as I've said before, all AFL clubs have a bias or blind spot when it comes to mature agers like Hayes. Instead, a speculative pick on some kid is deemed somehow the more sensible use. Hayes is speculative too to some degree but is proven at a senior level. no way known given professional training he wouldn't be better than a number already on AFL lists.
by Ronnie
Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Season 2022 Player Movements

I understand that GC were tossing up between Tsitas and Freeman. I also read somewhere that Freeman got injured in a recent trial match. Not sure how serious but with his injury history they perhaps didn't want to risk him if he was ever there preferred choice.

Congratulations Tsitas. Quite an amazing story when you think about the circumstances that led to this. Had Covid never occurred then Tsitas may never have left the VFL to come across to SA. He would never have had the opportunity to put his name forward in two premiership winning teams nor won a Magarey. Because he took a punt it has led to this great opportunity.

While disappointing to WWT, overall this "sells" the SANFL to other hopefuls as the best 2nd tier comp and should mean that while we lose a couple every year, we then pick up 15-20 from across the border hoping to do the same which can only help the comp IMO.
by Dutchy
Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |