Search found 52 matches

Return

Re: Abbott Watch

Remind us how great the labor party was in their 6 years ??
Wayne swann was a much better treasurer for sure ;)
Interested to hear your response shoe boy ??

As prior to the election "what is so wrong with this great country"
The best country on the planet and the envy of many economy's
Low unemployment
Low inflation
Steady growth
Triple A rating
And a democracy that allows a circus like Abbott just for a laugh :D
by shoe boy
Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: (Miscellaneous debris)

Abbott v Keating in Question Time would be interesting viewing.

I would've also loved to have seen how Keating would have reacted to someone like Christopher Pyne.
by GWW
Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

I don't think the right term should be 'cracking down' on long term welfare recipients. A large amount of these people would love to receive work if there was any available to them. Many long term welfare recipients have either physical or mental health issues that make it hard for them to be employable. Rather than 'cracking down' on these, we need to assist them to overcome their problems and develop skills that can help them become suitable for the job market. Work for the dole can be fine if the work is tailored towards something that could increase further job prospects. I also like the idea that those who are mature (e.g. 55 and above) are able to do voluntary work rather than 'work for the dole' and receive benefits.
Cheers

i was drawing a distinction between dole recipients and disability pension recipients, which i think are two very different things, but are often lumped into the same basket. and i wholeheartedly agree with you, the goal should be to get everyone back into meaningful work. often people would love to work for the same money as they get on the dole.

i think my original statement was clouded by the report that i read recently about people being on the dole for 20 years, which is quite obviously not right.
by bennymacca
Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

that is ridiculous. makes me angry.

we, as a nation, elected these people to represent us, so we have a right to this information, and a right to ask questions of the minister in charge.

it seems to be extremely blatant, in that they arent actually stopping any boats, they are just trying to bury it in the news cycle so that it is not a major topic anymore. out of sight out of mind. that is absolutely disgraceful.
by bennymacca
Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What sort of country are we becoming!
Now Morrison with General at war Abbot will no longer have weekly (last one was Dec 20) updates of "stop the boats" he will now send statements to the press!!! :-Q
by shoe boy
Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Navy intercepts seventh boat of asylum-seekers in two mo

Have to agree with you there, that is pretty silly.

But the death of someone who is supposedly coming here to seek safety is a tragedy
by bennymacca
Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Survey results confirming what most already knew *grins*

You obviously didn't read the first post. It got sidetracked but still interesting. So please gtfo
by bennymacca
Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cruises

Has anyone gone through Carnival Cruises before? If so, what are they like?

I'm just looking into surprising the wife for her 30th, and she's always wanted to go on a cruise.
by Failed Creation
Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My girlfriend and I are most likely going to going on a cruise in October through Carnival, a ten night cruise through the Pacific Islands. We've got all the information for the holiday, price of the cruise, flights to Sydney etc. all written down and semi-organised and will book it in the coming months. Should be a great getaway after footy season and before the Christmas/New Years break.
by The Dark Knight
Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your 2014 predictions

kickinit wrote:
dedja wrote:
kickinit wrote:what will you say if we belt glenelg next week? be back to saying we are too strong?

IF that happens, then you've beaten the bottom side from last year ... big faarking deal.

and what happens if we keep doing it week after week.

How 'bout you win ONE first.
by The Sleeping Giant
Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Grahaml wrote:and unless you're a died in the wool Labor barracker you'd understand that.

well you obviously havent read anything i have written in this thread, because i am equally pissed off with labor's policy on this issue, and they are as bad as one another.
by bennymacca
Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There is a march in the city this Sunday for those who feel strongly about this issue.
by Brock Landers
Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 2 - Central v Norwood Post Game

Good triumphs over evil!!!
by UK Fan
Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rounds 2 - Sturt v Adelaide Post Game

Kind of on topic and kind of off topic.

But word around Elizabeth Oval today from supporters and was even told by a current dogs league player is that Ian Callinan has told the Crows he wont be playing against Centrals this year.

Not sure how true that is but It did come from some normally reliable sources.

How long has he been a Crows player Hammy?

2-3 years I think?

Either way much like the Rooster supporters and Johnston I wont be holding grudge against him if he does play.

on topic the SANFL needs a strong Sturt so im glad to see them make a positive start to the year.

it out of order, considering the Crows have paid him a decent wage for a few years. Maybe he should play like Lewie did against North. 0.3 for the day ;)
by johntheclaret
Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R5 - West v Central Post Match

Couldn't get anyone to come with me to this one - they're all glad they stayed home, or whatever it else is they were doing, I'm sure.

Things I learnt:
We won't play finals.
Westies goals are effing massive.
Westies have the hottest drink runner in the league.
The deck in front of the past players' bar is the best place to view the game with a beer in hand in the SANFL, sorry Coopers Hill.
No matter how old they are, former players are just as big a bunch a kids around their team-mates as they ever were.
Ken Eustice has suffered nothing, in the eyes of his former team-mates, for all of his trials and tribulations over the past 20 years - they still revere and love him as much as they ever have.
The Gowans boys can charm anyone (I should've already known this).

After watching the Dogs' reserves squander a lead and then scramble a draw, I was hoping for a positive contest from our boys in the seniors.
It was a must-win game in the context of the season.
The opening two minutes showed promise, in that we were moving forward and sending the ball into attack - what looked like promise,though, was a portent for the remainder of the game, the scene was set.
We delivered poorly to our forwards and with poor delivery comes predictability. This continued throughout the game.
We don't have the big bodies up forward to just bang the ball into contests and Retzlaff really needs to become more imposing if that is to happen.
Once the Bloods hit the scoreboard, their confidence rose and we started chasing guernseys.
They kicked goals with just about every opportunity they had, whereas we were wasteful moving forward, not only missing targets over distance but also in close.
For the second straight week, we saw comical mishandling of the ball in the forward line, resulting in a missed opportunity to score - second quarter, Retzlaff to a running Bulldog. Instead of landing in space and allowing the ball to run forward and the player to run into an open goal, the ball was kicked high and arced to the side of our player who was quickly over run.
We produce plenty of forward entries but our delivery lets us down time and time again. With our talent pool of the moment, we need to kick all of our 'sodas' and we miss far too many of them.
Wasteful use of possession and allowing Westies to break tackles, or run past, with ease were major concerns.
How we controlled much of the second half but scored so little is an indictment.
Westies were good and co-ordinated, but we gave them so much latitude that they looked a premiership contender, not the previously winless side they were.
Surpisingly, we were considered a chance, given our flood of forward entries in the third, to sneak past Westies in the final term and there was a feeling among the Centrals supporters that anything was possible. However, the Bloods withstood the torrent and went on to bang five goals, while we recorded our second goalless term for the game.

Had a very brief chat with James Gowans during the last term.
He reckons he could still outplay half the side that was out there. You'd expect him to say nothing less, given the personality of the boy, but...he may just be right.
Thommo was gutsy and battled hard, Barmby is a rare shining light for us this season and Glenn had his moments. Hard to mention many others.
Second efforts ordinary, gut running lacking and football nouse not evident. Some of the young fellows are plain lazy and play bruise-free footy - but, are all of the senior players setting the right example for them?

I don't like to post negatively about the lads and have not had much reason too for quite a few years, but yesterday was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a CDFC outfit. It was back to the footy the club played in my childhood, the style that left us in the wilderness for so many years.
If I didn't have such a strong supporter code, I'd have done a 'Crowparture' and packed up and left at half-time. I stuck it out to the bitter end.
It's a long way back for us from here and while I'm not writing the season off totally, I would hope our recruiters are already working hard for next season and those in charge of player development are working on getting that take-no-prisoners work ethic and culture back to what it was in the not-so-distant past.

And...another thing:

Seriously, leave the female umpire alone. Some of the verbal directed at her from supporters of all sides, including my own, during the games in which I've seen her officiate are just terrible.
It was hilarious yesterday hearing an older Westies supporter having a go at her when his side was already six goals up.
Give her a break, folks. I reckon she's actually not doing a bad job.
by Dogwatcher
Mon May 05, 2014 2:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

End of the 1st Qtr

With a shortened season, we are now a quarter of the way through.

Port Reserves looking like they might run away with it due to their unrealistic advantage. They are a able to draw on their AFL stars whilst topping up with experience, hardened SANFL players. People may well talk about how the Reserve Clubs will be affected as injuries mount to their respective AFL sides but in Port's case it seems they have this covered by the level of SANFL players retained on their list. This year might be a learning curve for the SANFL committee who, hopefully, will address the balance next year. Forecast finish 1st

Adelaide Crows Reserves are pretty much where most people expected them to be. Whilst they can be competitive as the win two week's ago proved, they won't dominate the league in the same way that Port will do this year. They also have the disadvantage of the quality of stock available when injuries mount in their AFL side. You would expect Adelaide to finish in the bottom 3 which will be perfectly acceptable for a development squad. Forecast finish 9th

Of the two "no voters" South is doing rather well and outperformed most peoples expectations including I suspect, many South supporters.
Eddy for the Panthers has been a revelation this year and his goals have been instrumental in their success. The whole club seems to have lifted and got behind a relatively unknown and unproven coach. Free flowing and the ability to kick goals in abundance should see South there or there abouts come season end. Their big problem, just like every other club in the league, will be how they fair when the injuries pile up. This week saw them lose 3 to injury. Having to play with a depleted bench for more than half a game is tough for any team. The fact that South came back to snatch the lead again before succumbing to a couple of late goals show the determination they this year, when in the same circumstances in previous years would have seen them roll over and lose by a much bigger margin. Forecast finish 4th

Centrals haven't recovered from the loss of the Gowan twins along with some other inspirational players and their new recruits don't appear to have the same drive and determine as the old guard which has turned attention onto their coach Roy Laird. Laird has been a fantastic coach for Centrals making him one of the most successful coaches in SANFL history and the dominance of the Centals side through the noughties was record breaking. To sustain that level of dominance year after year is impossible. Ask Man Utd. Centrals had a group of players that stood out from the rest, not just a couple of great players like most clubs have but a team of great players. There was always going to be a time when these great players retired or moved on and Centrals were never going to be able to replace them. It's a rebuilding time for the Dogs which might take a few years and maybe a new Coach, but to panic now and remove mid season would be a mistake. Forecast finish 8th

Woodville West Torrens hVe been there or thereabouts for a few years now, often the bridesmaid and it looks like they will miss out again this year. Wundke, Ainger and Grocke provide a potent forward line up as proved this week with 8 goal between them and at full strength the Eagles will be difficult to beat. They have a settled squad and have made some good acquisitions this year to strengthen that squad. It's hard to see anyone other than Port from denying then top spot . Forecast finish 2nd

Premiers Norwood are proving disappointing this year and whilst Redleg fans might point to the fact they suffered heavy losses of stock during the closed season, I might be fair to say that the new recruits don't understand or aren't skilled enough to execute the Norwood gameplan. Couple this to a very inexperienced coach who is trying to carry on the same strategy that worked so well for two seasons under Bassett and you seem to end up with a mix that is no longer stopping sides from scoring and not scoring big themselves. It is possible that playing a gameplan and coaching a gameplan are not necessarily complimentary. Forecast finish 5th

Sturt are another that has surprised many so far. They were expected to struggle more this year than last after losing so many back to their club in the Crows. They did however recruit very well, particularly from Port Adelaide and are playing some very attractive footy. Hard at the ball and the man, they are also very quick at moving the ball forward. When they have the ball they create spare men to give it to and when they don't have the ball they are very aggressive at closing the opposition down and winning it back. A traditional SANFL approach that has somewhat been lost over the years, and importantly, they play and look like a team. Forecast finish 3rd

Glenelg were a bit of an enigma. Made some big signings and looked like they meant business. After last season they had to do something about strengthening the squad but to many Bays fans the problems at the club ran deeper than the lack of skill on the oval. Apart from one upset, there doesn't appear to be enough changes in the mentality st the club for them to pull away from the foot of the table. With the likes of big Clint Alleway they have the capacity to kick a big score but many would also question whether players like Alleway, in the twilight of their career have the stamina and the desire to perform at SANFL level. The other problem for Glenelg is that their Spoon rivals in both South and Sturt have significantly improved this year. Forecast finish 10th

Westies started the season with confidence. They had a new coach and looked like they were building on what they had achieved over the last two seasons. Injuries have hurt them and it is hard to see where they will be come the final day. What does seem to be disappointing, not only to most watchers from other clubs but to a growing number of their own fans, is that the gamplan seems be to be the same flooding defensive approach. Still came back this week and kicked a hatful of goals and maybe with a few others coming in West may develop a more attacking style. Four straight loses at the beginning of a 20 game season might have left them with a gap to far to have an impact on the finals this year. Forecast finish 7th

North just beggar to deceive. One week irrepressible, the next week a basket case. Personally I am not convinced about the coach yet. He was from Port yet Strurt seem to get the best named recruits. We have been flattered by the scoreboard more than once this year Sturt being the latest and we don't fight enough we we are in possession. Injuries are racking up forcing North to play inexperienced youngsters which have made an impact on the performances but the big worry is the reaction from the experienced players out there. Our skill levels, which have been a bit up and down fro years, seemed to have dropped as does our kicking and decision making. still in the five just, but North Re likely to be one of a bunch who will fight it out for 5th place. Forecast finish 6th

One thing has stood out as a big positive this year in that all 8 SANFL clubs are competing on a level playing field without the advantage or disadvantage of the influence AFL listed players had in previous years. Unfortunately there seems to be far more negatives with the current situation which will need to be addressed for next season if the SANFL are to have any chAnce of surviving.
by johntheclaret
Sun May 04, 2014 9:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: End of the 1st Qtr

Loved the comment that the 8 genuine clubs are on an even playing field. If the Commission had got Port's entry conditions correct (ie. the same as Crows) then this could have been a real positive for SANFL. To allow Port to retain so many league players and then recruit other highly experienced players by fudging the rules is such a shame and demonstrates weak leadership.
by SANFLnut
Sun May 04, 2014 9:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Brad Symes Announces Retirement

Unfortunately for Symes this wasn't the first head knock. Maybe that needs to be taken into account as well. Yes the game has changed but was it that bad ? Least he didn't cop gutless ones from behind or in packs .Ironic.

Up there as one of the snidest post I have read on a footy forum. Please explain the Irony in Symes announcement. The interview that you quote is more a testament to his character than a defence of that ^.
by wild dog
Wed May 07, 2014 11:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

what do you call a collective of knobs? a pack? a herd? a gaggle? a ministry?
by Roxy the Rat Girl
Thu May 22, 2014 8:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I am against people like this who take advantage of the vulnerable by spreading blatant lies . The AMA sent out their advice to their members on 15th May and made it very clear that they don't have to charge it. I received a notice from the Norwood Medical Centre on 15th May saying they wont be charging it.

This doctor is either very badly read or making a blatantly incorrect and misleading claim for political purposes whilst making out to be benevolent.
Well, benevolent to the point where it hits his own pocket that is..........[/quote]

So I take it Jimmy the nationals/liberals are really pissing you off!!!!
by shoe boy
Fri May 30, 2014 2:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Did anyone notice the growth figures today.

Budget emergency my a@#e.

If the government put more time into fair budget policy, than they do with scaremongering tactics and telling anyone who will listen that we are in dire financial strife, Australia would be far better off.
by tigerpie
Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Live scores

GOOOAAAALLLLL!!!!! to west
by bulldog2004
Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 SANFL GRAND FINAL NORWOOD V PA RESERVES

We exist to give our AFL-listed players a run.
by Mic
Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

One week now until my missus and I go on our holiday :D This week can't go quickly enough!!

Have a wonderful cruise, Dark Knight - I know you will *smiles*

My next one is just a little one: Pacific Islands, including Fiji, on Celebrity Century on November 19.

Cheers
Thanks mate, had a c##t of a day at work today so I want this holiday more than anything at the moment!

Getting away from the stress of work will make sure it is a great trip then. Relax, unwind and forget about that horrid four letter word for a while *grins*
Definitely will mate, three working days left for me now and four for the missus. Get me out of here!
by The Dark Knight
Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 Matador BBQ's One-Day Cup

Footy Smart wrote:
Nick Winter, from the ACT. Left arm medium/quick. Ripper lad, was contracted by SACA at the start of last season and been playing at TTG. Before being contacted he had a couple solid years performances in the futures league competition.

He's been left out in the cold until now.
by Lightning McQueen
Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grade Cricket

Location, location, location. Sandwiched between St Michael's and Henley High together with excellent relationship with Yorke Peninsula country zone and of course some excellent people involved with the junior set up gives a formula for success. A long way from the old days at Kings Reserve, thankfully.
by Aerie
Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Qld v SA

Trav out for run a ball 28 - 6/104 all out caught behind the wicket

Now Ludeman out caught in slips also, 7/110.

That is 5 catches to Forrest in slips, would that be some sort of record?

One of Berry's worse decisions was getting rid of Georgey, had a great year and was always going to do well against us today.

Would have enjoyed getting his good mate Kelvin out too!
by Eagles2014
Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Qld v SA

Good to see Benton do well. Hasn't dominated Grade cricket for as long as Sayers did, but has been very strong for a few years. Funny how good form at that level can still transform to good form at First Class level. Perhaps something in that. Real Performance perhaps greater than "High Performance"?

Also great to see Georgie doing well. He deserves every success that comes his way having gone over to QLD without a contract because he wanted badly to play first class cricket and was given a verbal opportunity by QLD. He is a smart bloke who could have easily made more money going on with his engineering, but loves the game. A pity he didn't make the move a couple of years earlier, but better late than never. Has always done it the hard way coming through the lower grades through to a baggy green.
by Aerie
Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tony Clifton wrote:Carl Tight Jeans the key tomorrow I reckon. Needs to get 4-5.

Tight Jeans struggled..... 1 fa and 11 no balls......lucky it wasn't a 1 dayer :shock:

TTG well deserved. Chased down 400 in the minor round then chased in the GF.
by heater31
Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well what a weekend. Finally after losing last year’s grandfinal the boys got to experience the ultimate. Losing last year probably made this years win so much better. As many of our blokes have said, they would hand back all the short form flags for this one.
Firstly a fantastic effort by Woodville who played the game to very end and could have easily batted for 2 days. Adam Sommerfields 15over spell with the old ball changed the game and Wints came back with the second new ball and cleaned the tail up.
Their innings was a great contest of good solid batting and disciplined bowling. We thought that if we could get them 5-6 down we could run through their tail. Then for us to grab 40 runs before the end of the days play was also crucial.
Our batting inning was the perfect chase really apart from losing Cuconits and Trav in quick time, and a couple wickets at the end with 4runs to get. The partnerships of Evans and Cuconits, Evans and Tim Davey, Borgas and Weavs getting the job done.
Great reward for the players who have stayed loyal to TTG and played through many a bad time. All apart from 3 played Juniors at the club, Sommers obviously from Mt Gambier but played for at TTG for numerous years, Wints via the ACT and Izzy Borgas from Northerns.
On a little end note, it was great to see back at the club the A grade boys got the U16white lads who also won the flag up to sing the club song with them. The look on the young lads face after was priceless.
by Footy Smart
Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you don't understand

Essendon. ASADA. AFL. And I know I'm not alone.
by Booney
Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Richie Benaud passes away

At 84 it was a good knock from Richie. Surely his narration of The life of Phil Hughes takes on more signicance now as it was probably his final cricketing act?
by heater31
Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Central v Norwood at Playford 2.10

I thought it was a real promising performance from the Dogs, who were beaten by a battle-hardened unit.
Both teams played a similar style, which reminded me of the club's duels from the past decade.
As Cennals pointed out there were plenty of basic skill errors from the Dogs which put players up the field under pressure.
I reckon some of the guys should put the low grass-skimming pass away, as there were a number of those that went astray - again, when not under pressure. Keep it simple.
I thought Thommo was pretty good for us, despite thoughts from some he didn't play that well. Retzlaff always looked promising up forward, but was undone on occasions by poor delivery.
The Schillers were excellent, as was Hosko. The Red Ranger up back did a top job, as well. Rarely beaten.
Baulderstone's dominance reflected one of the big concerns for me during the pre-season, our ruck stocks. Mabon has a bit of work to do.
Ultimately, the experience of Norwood saw it keep us at arm's length and every time the pressure was on, their efforts went back up just a notch higher than ours. The 12-point margin was more reflective of the game than the 24-point margin that the result slipped out to in the last 90 seconds - but even that reflected the quality of Norwood, in that they kept going until the game's end.
A good win to the Legs and plenty to like for us.

PS: No longer are the umpire's White Maggots, but Green Tree Frogs.
by Dogwatcher
Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

I wasnt aware that apparently Labor had an election promise of 100k new jobs by next year. I would say they would be in the negative at the moment as currently they are reducing the public service numbers.
by stan
Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I keep hearing West Torrens name mentioned in merger talks? anyone heard similar? I couldnt imagine Rumbles being happy with possibly merging

West Torrens position has been documented via their newsletters published on their website throughout the season, and this from Presidents Report in Annual Report released on Monday:

"Merger talks with any other Club have ceased for the present but the door has been left open in case new offers are put forward.

Our Board has submitted that it:
• is in a stable financial position
• has agreements in place to protect its future at the Henley & Grange Memorial Oval for both the oval and clubrooms
• is in a favourable position due to junior development programs
• has these programs and as a consequence is now experiencing players developed through them progressing to A Grade level
• has sufficient players to fill and be competitive in each grade, senior and junior, each round
• is in a sound position with Women’s A and B grade teams – both also competitive
• has an excellent junior program the envy of most other SACA clubs
• has an excellent zone program the envy of most other SACA clubs
• is in a position to independently manage its future
• does not have any need to merge in the near future
• merging at the present time is not an option the B of M would promote to WTDCC members

The essential needs of any elite Club are
– talent I.D. followed by recruitment and development of the recruits
- income to exceed expenditure (business management)
- volunteers and/or remunerated workers
- obtaining and upkeeping suitable facilities

West Torrens D.C.C. currently has these in position. However we must be ever vigilant to maintain and improve this position."

Well thats that then :oops: :D

WT for me are a stable club and as pointed out meet all the essential needs for an elite club.

I would suggest that not all cubs can match the following (and im not just reffering to Uni):
*is in a stable financial position
*is in a favourable position due to junior development programs
*has these programs and as a consequence is now experiencing players developed through them progressing to A Grade level
*has sufficient players to fill and be competitive in each grade, senior and junior, each round

But they have a coach that has made a lot of enemies within SACA and Premier Cricket. They do not have a club!

Wow, Bulls Forever, you really do hate West Torrens!! God knows what "they do not have a club" even means!!

As for our coach, he is just a very passionate club person. He would do anything to make WT successful. His record as a junior coach is second to none, and his first year as Senior coach was brilliant, taking the A's from 12th to 4th and not far off a GF berth, with a young team we thought needed a few years to develop. Also finished high up in Club Championships.

He does speak his mind to SACA about numerous issues, and although I don't always agree with his views, the majority of the time he is pretty spot on. His desire is for WT to continue to be a powerhouse club in the competition so it is near on impossible for SACA to force a merger involving WT. We are one of only a few clubs that have teams in all comps run by SACA including Women and have one of the best and most successful junior program's of the last ten years, as shown by our A Grade team currently with 7 players Under 21. The future looks very promising.

Hopefully Bulls Forever this makes sense and you can have a bit more un biased view of WT in the future!
by Eagles2014
Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Spot on, WT have the best junior set up and program I've seen, along with a Womens set up that is phenominal. Rumbles isn't a SACA arse licker, never has been, never will be. Can't say the same about some other clubs tho.
by helicopterking
Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Ashes

From an old pommy mate :

The antipodean quipsters are alive and well.

Q. What’s the difference between the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Aussie cricket team
A. Not everyone has walked over the harbour bridge

Q. What’s the difference between Cinderella and an Australian cricketer
A. Cinderella knew when to leave the ball

Q. What do you call a world class Australian cricketer
A. Retired.

Q. What do you get if you cross the Australian cricket team with an Oxo cube?
A. Laughing stock.

Q. What’s the difference between Michael Clarke and a funeral director?
A. A funeral director doesn’t keep losing the ashes.

Q. What’s the difference between an Aussie batsman and a formula one car?
A. Nothing. If you blink you’ll miss them both.

Q. What do Aussie batsmen and drug addicts have in common?
A. Both spend most of their time wondering where their next score will come from.

Q. What did the spectator miss when he went to the toilet?
A. The entire Australian innings.

Q. What do you call a cricket field full of Australians ?
A. A vacant lot.

Q. What is the main function of the Australian coach?
A. To transport the team from the hotel to the ground.

Q. Who spends the most time on the crease?
A. The woman who irons the Australian team’s cricket whites.

Q. Why don’t Aussie fielders need travel injections?
A. Because they never catch anything.

Q. What is the most proficient footwork displayed by Australian batsmen?
A. The walk back to the pavilion.

Q. What is the definition of optimism?
A. An Aussie batsman putting on sunscreen before going out to bat.

Q. What’s the Australian version of LBW?
A. Lost, Beaten, Walloped.

Q. Who has the easiest job in the Australian squad?
A. The guy who removes the red ball marks from the bats.

Q. What do you call an Australian who can handle a bat….
A. A vet

Q. Why are Australian cricketers cleverer than Houdini?
A. Because they can get out without even trying.

Q. What’s the difference between Michael Clarke and a phoenix?
A. At the end of the ashes, the phoenix still has a future.

A bloke walks into a brothel and says: “I’m a bit kinky, how much for total humiliation?”
The madam replies £60.
“Wow, what do I get for that,” he says.
She says: “A baggy green cap and an Australia shirt.

The Australian bobsleigh team have asked the Aussie cricketers for a meeting. They want to know how they went downhill so fast.
by Booney
Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Elim. Final - Norwood v Central @ Adelaide Oval (Sun 6/9

Lairds last game ? Will the dogs hang on or realise he may not be the future with the game now ?

May not be the future of the game? He's dragged this average side into one that is very competitive and mentored them into the finals. He's showed faith in some young talent and they're rewarding him with this late season surge. A few recruits next year (KPPs and midfielders) and we've got the makings of a good side again - we'll lose Milera to the AFL, Presbury a very long shot. Trust in Roy.

And...Roy's been sighted at BL&G games in recent weeks and been to Melbourne to watch footy over there. He's not doing that if he's not coaching next year.
by Dogwatcher
Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1st Semi Final - Power Reserves v Centrals

Interesting to note, rumour coming out of Elizabeth last night, Central was prepared to boycott Sunday's match if Gray was allowed to play.

=))

"We might have done something if something that didn't happen, did happen!"

So if a guy who played 10 SANFL games was permitted to play your club would have forfeited 12 months work. :roll: :lol: Now I am all for rumour and innuendo on this site, the forum is built on it but let's draw the line at cosmic fantasy :lol:

OK can I try one....Early last year Boon came over my house to buy some drills. If our Mrs didn't have us on a time line we were going to clear the State of Bikies and use the drills to shut their club rooms and then enter and win Australia's next top models. I get it now, this is fun ;)

Yeah someone mentions its a rumour and you guys get all uppity. Think skinned even to the suggestion of a principled stance. Central Districts Football Club is the only club which is publically standing up and saying this current situation is not acceptable. It would not surprise me in the least if heated discussions were taking place over any bending of the rules for Port Power. Boycott, yeah a bit over the top, but who could blame them.
by wild dog
Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

post ? Not sure

I can see the arguement some people bring to the table over the one off 12,000 that the government is allowing , yet thousands australians are homeless on the streets. Why allow this amount in 700 million to be spent, when we could be better suited spending that 700 million on housing the homeless and helping the out of work and struggling families of Australians citizens
Yet i can also see the arguement that we should be helping these refugees .

Its a hard one to choose

Perhaps instead of spending 55 million to send four refugees to Cambodia, he could have spent it on homeless people?

The two topics have nothing to do with each other. There's no reason a government can't act on both at once.
by Q.
Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1st Semi Final - Power Reserves v Centrals

First time in my life I've liked Centrals
by Jimmy_041
Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Very unfortunate for WT but me thinks their previous commentary in their annual reports (available online) about SACA may have come back to bite them.

That's a fair call Hound, the Club has certainly had to speak to our President about his editorials, as they would no doubt upset thin skinned people at the SACA. As he produces our Magazine and Annual report, and prints it, etc, we don't get to see it till it is all printed. Have cringed once or twice reading some things he has written!
Surely that's nothing to do with it? Everyone slags off SACA and the Redbacks!

It would be a shame if West Torrens were one of the clubs to go. They are everything a grade club should be. They are the benchmark in many ways given that they've been successful with a pretty small junior zone and a small country zone. Plus girls teams up and running. Other clubs should be looking at how West Torrens run things and follow suit - not shut them down!

If the end result is Port & Woodville merging and West Torrens getting a larger zone then that would be a better result. Nothing against Port and Woodville but I just think West Torrens is one club that functions really well from top to bottom.
by Tony Clifton
Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

Being awarded Rookie of the Year for the Port Spartans tonight.

by HH3
Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This has obviously been brewing for years. The use/development of those vacant fields went out to tender 5+ years ago. Sporting bodies had to put forward proposals for how they would be utilised.

How does a "vote of no confidence" get implemented? Grade cricket (and any cricket supporter in SA) can't sit idly by and allow this to happen.
by Tony Clifton
Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A-League season 2015-16

So the A-League and the J-League (Japan) have a referee exchange program, where a couple of our referees go up there are do a match and a couple of theirs come down here.

Tonight Adelaide are playing the Wanderers in one of the biggest matches of the season in Round 24 (out of 27) - the winner will go top.

For some reason, the FFA decided to allocate a Japanese ref to this match, of all matches.

Ten minutes in, Kamau is through on goal with all the defenders a mile away. Reddy (WSW's GK) comes off his line and takes Kamau out, who tried in vain to jump over Reddy. It was a clear goal-scoring opportunity and the clearest foul you'll ever see, but the ref books Kamau for a dive.

Clearest send-off you'll see. Speechless.

Agree completely. A definite red card situation, as the vast majority of the experts seem to agree upon. Even the Sydney papers call it 'the worst yellow-card ever'! Kamau made contact with the ball and was left with two choices: either to try to jump over and out of the way of Liam Reddy (an instinctual action, which he ended up doing) or to run straight into Liam Reddy, resulting in possible injury to both.

He didn't jump out the way

He dove horizontally and upper body first into the ground

Strangest way I have ever seen someone try to avoid a tackle
Watch it at normal speed, and tell me where you would have jumped if the son of a second-rower was coming at you recklessly like that.
by RB
Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Rambled a bit but got the point across eventually.

Describing Uni as "a parasite" was a nice touch!

Typical Politician Chest beating for 10 minutes when 5 would have sufficed.......

Could have used the Parasite description for 2 of those 3 clubs involved in this....

Also implies that the West Beach Development was being done by the Cricket Club which it is not. The Adelaide University Sports Association are doing it.

Woodville got cold feet because they thought the statement that SACA would back a Woodville/West Torrens merger was a blank cheque???

You'd have to be either naive or stupid to not see what is happening, and I'm not discounting that you could be both heater.

Adelaide University are building 4 ovals at West Beach, plus training facilities, to use for a junior University cricket set up (and soccer). Whether that be in SACA or another competition, the fact is the pathways would be through to a SACA club. This clearly steps on the toes of West Torrens.

You also have Bernhardt wanting to get rid of metro junior zones.

You have a SACA board wanting to get rid of West Torrens.

It doesn't make sense to merge West Torrens and Port. Where ever you base it, the closest club for the "away" club would be Woodville. Base it at Port and current WT kids would be closer to Woodville or Glenelg. Base it at Henley and Port kids would be closer to Woodville.

You won't get a strong club from a WT/Port merger. It would certainly be weaker than WT currently is.

Woodville have every right not to merge. They are financial and well set up, albeit with a weak junior set up and lack of depth. Their 1st Grade team is the bench mark for the competition over the last decade.

The cornerstone of any potential West Torrens/Woodville merger would be juniors and women at Henley. Two of the strongest sporting high schools in the state are a 5 minute walk away. It is the perfect location. This, plus financial incentives would have been attractive to some from the Woodville club. Stable off-season income via football and a very well set up corporate program by Woodville would have been attractive to people from West Torrens.

Provided members of both clubs were supportive of this, it would certainly lead to a stronger club than what is present.

This is why it was discussed and put on the table. SACA had indicated much higher funding than what was finally put on the table. Wasting everyone's time.

Relatively, West Torrens is a far stronger club than Prospect, University, Adelaide and East Torrens just to name a few. None of these clubs have been put through the ringer like WT, Port and Woodville have.

This process has pissed off a lot of people. There will be consequences.
by Aerie
Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Paul Caica is the Patron of the WTDCC. The cricket club is in his electorate. A lot of people involved with the cricket club are his constituents, why wouldn't he want to represent them to the best of his ability. A fantastic local member who does not have to resort to Xenaphon like stunts to get elected. The misinformation and misrepresentation being perpetrated by the SACA is scandalous and should be exposed.
by ferret
Mon May 16, 2016 11:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Player movement 2017

In fairness to Ben Nason, you have to give him some credits for the amount of perseverance he has to play league SANFL football.

Not many blokes left like him, to be honest less than a handful.
by whufc
Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |