Search found 39 matches

Return

Re: SAFooty V2

Shouldn't the new logo have been the old one bent over with Andy D pumping it from behind?
by dedja
Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide cracks Lonely Planet's Top 10 list

I tend to find the people who moan the most about living here do very little in the way of getting out and looking around.

Experience Fringe shows you wouldn't normally go to see. The Fringe (and other) festivals gives us our international reputation for "arts" (Trust me, I'm not "arty" at all)

Experience a little restaurant on Rundle St, off Rundle St! Dont go to the same pub for a schnitty every meal you go out for.

Take a drive in the Barossa, the hills, the Vales.....

The list is so bloody long of things to do, IF you are prepared to get out there and do them. We might complain about how expensive things are, but book a room in central Sydney or Perth, a high end room at a quality hotel. Then do the same in Adelaide.

Catch a cab from the airport to that hotel.

Drive for an hour from the CBD and enjoy the Adelaide Hills, or drive for an hour from Sydney CBD and be on the fringe of the bloody CBD!!

Lonely Planet has 450 staff on the books, over 200 authors and has printed over 100 million books, but someone in Adelaide thinks they've got it wrong about how good this place is.

Dont let the door hit you......
by Booney
Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Riverland Football Chatter

RFL AGM coming up soon FLM, maybe you could put your hand up to run the chook raffle
by DARK KNIGHT
Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BEST JOKES - Warning: Site Rules Still Apply

Following India announcing it intends to send a rocket to mars, NASA has said they feared for the safety of the 500 astronauts who will be sitting on the roof of the craft during take-off.
by valleys07
Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Geordie always has and will continue to 'chase the coin', suggesting otherwise is being fanciful.
by Lakesider
Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ten axes Before The Game

What took them so long?
by dedja
Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ten axes Before The Game

i certainly see were you all are coming from... But i'll stick to my guns.

I find after doing selection on a thursday night, especially after the real difficult ones, it's great to come home and not really have to think a great deal and have a few chuckles....

and i actually like sam, gaz and JB... Yep... i'm not even trolling... :D
by woodublieve12
Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Unfortunately you think a merger would be a takeover but that's not how I would see it. It would have to be 50/50 and if the RFL was the league of choice, then BSR would be in a good position. Southern Saints are going well. Robby are well represented in that club and it's great to see their juniors doing well, both underage and the ones that have progressed to A grade. (Now there's two clubs that used to detest each other!) You have to be proactive with juniors these days as there are so many competing interests. Alot of the time travel is a convenient excuse so offer a solution so it can't be used.
I reckon Mid Murray United has a good ring about it. Imagine a full compliment of senior football and netball teams, good opportunities to recruit, plenty of kids around the club playing footy and netball and packed clubrooms after a game. Oh, and the footy at a better standard is actually fast, clean and more challenging/fun to play without having to worry about getting sniped behind play. Doesn't sound too bad at all.
You seem to think its so easy! For this to happen sedan would have to give up their home ground as the RFL would never travel to Sedan! They would also give up their club colors something they fought very hard to keep - can't see them being too happy with either of these options, what would they gain?
I think your underestimating the work that has been put in by our club to support juniors- people like Reidy and Webby have done everything on their power to keep the kids interested- for a number of reasons the numbers remain poor- a merge I can assure you wouldn't help with this.
Yes of course a bigger stronger club would be good but I'm not convinced a merge would create this- more work needs to be done to ensure the current Indy comp is at a good standard. With a bit of effort and all clubs working together it isn't impossible- just look at the 2013 Indy grand final I think most that saw it would agree it was a great display of country footy!
by BOM
Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Predictions for 2014

Flip side - he may also thrive in a forward line with Walker, Podsiadly, Jenkins.
EVERY team has their squibs that don't go in as hard as others, but if they're kicking goals most supporters will overlook this.
Don't get me wrong, I hate the crows more than anyone but getting Betts may well fill a void they have and be a great get.
North went after him pretty hard also and were disappointed to miss out.
by Spargo
Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's not an ordinary look for the league. It's sad for the league and the farming community that their football club no longer has the numbers to survive.
I had some good contests with East Murray blokes in the past and while they played it tough, they were good blokes - most of those fellas are still around the area and would be heartbroken.

It's possible, that eventually, with the Riverland's population drift, the Indies will disappear. Why anyone would take any glee from the death of football clubs is beyond me. Once the Indies are gone, the next focus for concern will be the Riverland B grade sides...
by Dogwatcher
Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Best of luck to Ben Williams who plays his 100th game for Loxton North this weekend.
A huge effort for a bloke for whom there were concerns he may never walk again, let alone play footy.
by Dogwatcher
Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Riverland Football Chatter

I think you're preaching to the choir here BOM.
Don't think anyone will disagree with you.

What's the go after this weekend's game? Are you blokes heading back to Swan Reach hotel for a beer? Or staying at clubrooms?

Will be at the Clubrooms mate bar and meals available if the boys are keen. We have our past players day on so there should be a few around.
by BOM
Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A man is fed up with his wife and decides to kill her off and claim life insurance on her death.
He hires a hitman, Ardi, but only has $1 to pay Ardi until the insurance claim settles.
Ardi agrees to the deal and follows the man's wife to Woolies. While she is doing her shopping, Ardi chokes the woman to death.
He thinks he's gotten away with it but turns around to notice the security guard in the store has seen the whole thing.
Ardi then chokes the security guard to death but police arrive and arrest him.
The headline in the paper the next day read: "Ardi chokes two for a dollar at Woolworths"
by OnSong
Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

An 89 year old woman was arrested for shoplifting.

When she went before the judge in Cincinatti, he asked her “what did you steal?” She replied “A can of peaches.”

The judge asked her why she had stolen the can of peaches and she replied that she was hungry. The judge then asked how many peaches were in the can. She replied 6.

The judge announced “I will give you 6 days in jail.”

Before the Judge could actually pronounce the punishment, the woman’s husband spoke up and asked the judge if he could say something on his wife’s behalf. The judge asked “what is it?”

The husband replied “she also stole a can of peas.”
by valleys07
Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not to put the 3 lads from BSR that are leaving down, but they are in for a heck of a shock at Tanunda.
A REAL pre-season, REAL training sessions, REAL commitment level.
Players that are recently ex-SANFL, not ex-their 45th birthday.
I think all 3 will be handy B-graders or maybe fringe A-graders on a flank, pocket or wing at best.
But they wont be Big fish anymore, they will be down the tadpole scale end.
If BSR have the numbers, and the prospective coach joins, there will be 7-8 handy footballers to replace them,
Plus whispers BSR's 'aged' recruit from last year may continue on after all.
Would be right in the mix If all that happens.....
...If......

To be fair to the lads I don't think they're in for a shock at all I know all 3 are fully aware of the huge step up to the Barossa- this is the reason they are going, to have a crack and challenge themselves while they're still young and capable to have a go. Loosing the big fish tag won't bother them at all.
As for the commitment involved I think that will be the easiest thing out of the challenge for these lads to handle. All 3 of them thrive on the hard work- Paynee and Troy have both experienced the work required at other clubs and Samsons transformation over the last few years confirms his up to the physical challenge.
Agree will be interesting to see how these lads fit in especially at Tanunda which from reports will be a strong unit. I could see Paynee playing most of the season in the A's Troy the same if his knee is rite - which it wasn't last year but Sambo I think would struggle for an AGrade spot at all but a very handy b grader.
Overall I think it's a credit to them for giving it a go even if it is leaving BSR in a hard spot. Would be easy for them to hang around being the big fish in a small pond maybe win a couple medals - takes more to challenge your self and have a go!
by BOM
Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Game Are You Playing Now?

I played Fifa 15 for the first time since getting Far Cry last night.

I've done two seasons with Adelaide United. Won the A-League in my first season and lost the GF in second season.

In the offseason thought id try applying for jobs in other countries. Crystal Palace were relegated to the Championship, so I thought id apply for that vacant job and they pretty much told me to go **** myself, so I settled for Portuguese side Belenenses.

Currently 0-3-0 after 3 games.

Goals for - 2

Goals against - 2

Struggling up forward, but solid down back, even though my scouts said i should concentrate on getting a better CB.

Anyway, thats my story. You're welcome.
by HH3
Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your last meal

Mila Kunis 8)
by woodublieve12
Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NAB Challenge 2015 - discussion

Good to see Matt Campbell raising the bar in shit commentating for 2015.
by Spargo
Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nick Hankin's leaving the Dees will be offset a little bit by the signing of Adam and Ben Grose from the Roo's

good story in the pioneer about the gro$e move to berri.
my guess is berri offered to pay them more than barmera
wonder how the local berri boys feel about that??

A lot more, had a bit of a chuckle when Lefty said young Adam needed a fresh start,also Berri have supposedly signed Brodie Fridd from Barmera on some good money, good luck to him if true. If I was one of the local Berri lads I would not be happy[/quote]

New less is more strategy at BM, less money less peanuts. It will pay dividends
by WellPlayed#9
Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dogwatcher wrote:Any truth big Pumpa's been talking to some Riverland clubs?

Plural? Really?
by OnSong
Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

interestedobserver wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Really? How did North not finish bottom?

North spooners 2009, fifth 2010

Interesting observation
by OnSong
Fri May 13, 2016 4:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 10 and a sesquipedalian word from Spargo.

bennymacca wrote:Reckon there is a few tough ones this week.

How the hell do you tip crows gws?

By picking GWS.
by Gozu
Wed May 25, 2016 1:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Womens Teams Announced

Total waste of time and money.

Funds would be fair better used saving grassroots clubs and grassroots competitions, where plenty of Comps are currently on there knees.
Whilst I agree with the sentiment of this comment, too many grassroots clubs would spend money on buying a premiership rather than using it for its intention
by Brodlach
Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Womens Teams Announced

Understand what you're saying Carey, but frankly the AFL doesn't care about grass roots footy expect for implementing Auskick clinics.

The AFL is a business, it's aim is to make money - grass roots won't make money for it, but investing in untapped markets and demopgraphics will.

Womens footy will open the door to a new range of sponsors, supporters, members etc etc.. Like it or not it's here to stay.
by The Bedge
Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (TV Spoilers, NO BOOK SPOILER

By the time she gets there, she'll be fighting white walkers
by Q.
Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

As far as battle scenes go, I reckon it outdoes Saving Private Ryan for reality..

Thought there were quite a few plot holes really.

Somehow jon snow doesn't get 400 arrows in him when there are 100 archers shooting at only him - when Ramsay can hit rickon from longer away?

Then he kills like 100 people by himself

Then Sansa suddenly arrives with a whole army even though the travel time would have been days. So they would have been pretty close when Jon and Sansa had their argument - she either knew and didn't tell him, or they failed to either send Ravens or runners forward of the army to tell them they were coming.

Also, when both sides met each other, as if neither of them planned some sort of ambush. 5 archers hiding as Ramsay rides off and shoot him in the back.

Loved the cinematography but the plot was pretty average

Still an awesome episode though

PS the greyjoys have the fastest ships in history :)

Thanks buzzkillington
by woodublieve12
Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

As far as battle scenes go, I reckon it outdoes Saving Private Ryan for reality..

Thought there were quite a few plot holes really.

Somehow jon snow doesn't get 400 arrows in him when there are 100 archers shooting at only him - when Ramsay can hit rickon from longer away?

Then he kills like 100 people by himself

Then Sansa suddenly arrives with a whole army even though the travel time would have been days. So they would have been pretty close when Jon and Sansa had their argument - she either knew and didn't tell him, or they failed to either send Ravens or runners forward of the army to tell them they were coming.

Also, when both sides met each other, as if neither of them planned some sort of ambush. 5 archers hiding as Ramsay rides off and shoot him in the back.

Loved the cinematography but the plot was pretty average

Still an awesome episode though

PS the greyjoys have the fastest ships in history :)

I get your point, but there have to be plot holes in any battle scene in any movie/tv show - otherwise, how do the main protagonists survive to continue the story arc? It's the action and the reality of the battle around the characters that is important - can you believe what's happening around them? I sure as shit did.
In terms of cinematography, I reckon it was a step up from SPR. 15 or so years on, technological improvements allowed the producers to up the ante.
The way the horses, in the midst of battle, just appeared from nowhere to run through soldiers. The way a man just appears to come from nowhere to kill someone who's attention is elsewhere, probably just focused on survival. The way two men were fighting for their lives, only for a third to all of a sudden fatally end the fight. The noise, the groans, the injuries.
The best part, for mine, though, was Jon Snow gradually getting buried and trampled, fighting for breath, almost suffocating from the lack of air, which was rapidly becoming more fetid. That scene was claustrophobic, just as I imagine it would be in RL. Tormund's hand-to-hand battle and its ending also put the icing on the cake, so to speak. Those two moments really felt like the horrors that I'd read about on the Western Front (and heard in Dan Carlin's Hardcore History series about WWI) - I'd never seen anything on screen quite as vivid and 'realistic'.
The one question I'd have is, are there any battles in history where the bodies are recorded as being piled up in that way, forming a 'natural' wall?
by Dogwatcher
Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Brisbane 2016

Nonsense. Lethal's not the problem.

The problem is an inability to retain quality players over the past six years, not helped by the removal of the salary cap allowance.
Obviously it all starts at home though and getting things right at a basic level at the club, which the Lions have failed to do for some time now.
But the tide has started to turn, with nearly every player on the list signed for 2018 and beyond.

Getting a new facility at the airport would help too as the Gabba is run down and nowhere near AFL standard anymore.

Not sure about Leppa.
I genuinely feel for the guy, because he tore the list down and this was his first year in charge with the list he wanted.
Injuries didn't help, but blowouts like the past two weeks certainly bring his coaching ability into question.
Why not stop the bleeding with extra players in defence? 100+ point routs are no good for anyone's confidence.

If they go down the path of getting a new coach, any thoughts on who?
Obviously Ratten's name has been mentioned, but Bomber Thompson is the one I'd be after.
Has experience at rebuilding a list and also has a bit of stature, which is important in the fickle Qld market.
I see Sumich has just signed at West Coast, but if they were to nab him it wouldn't be the first time the Lions stole an assistant from the Eagles like that (2009 Voss).

Of course it's nonsense, it's UK Fan.

regards,

REB
by Rik E Boy
Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Phantom Brownlow

Shueys and Sloane's stats over the last 3 seasons are very,very similar.
Sloane,like Shuey have been much improved players in the last 12 months.
Shuey ain't close to Sloane.
One's hard at it, the other is well... let's just say IMO isn't.

Forget Shuey if you're looking for marshmallow midfielders, his mate Gaff is the business.

In 14 matches this year the midfielder has laid 15 tackles, in his 124 games he's laid 224 tackles.

To put this in perspective, Andrew Swallow has laid 113 tackles in 14 games this year.

That's because he is second to the ball so often.

regards,

REB
by Rik E Boy
Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Phantom Brownlow

I've yet to come across someone winning one of these awards without having a great year. Sure, some have been average in previous or subsequent years, but that's completely irrelevant.

Woewoedin obviously didn't have the standout career many expected but I think you'll find he had an excellent year when he won it.
by Grahaml
Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Leppa is a seriously galant and impressive deflector

Enourmous ability to present himself in the highest regard it is super to watch him speak

Pity he is a ranga. Rangas shouldnt coach :D

http://www.boylesfootballphotos.net.au/linked_images/cards/1950_kornies/tckor003-009_smith.jpg

Dear Marbles.

Pleased to meet you. They named a medal after me and I coached a flag or two.

regards,

Norm.
by Rik E Boy
Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Finals Week 1

Im thinking the premier this year will be who wins the battle of the bridge
by LMA
Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "Fixing" the AFL

leave the game alone ffs
by MW
Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: GRAND FINAL SYDNEY VS WESTERN BULLDOGS

Belted the Eagles on the road, touched up the Hawks at the G, stitched up the Giants on the road.
If the Dogs are in touch at halftime, reckon they win.
by Spargo
Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: GRAND FINAL SYDNEY VS WESTERN BULLDOGS

FWIW

Following on from my stunning Prelim tipping 0/2, thought I would get in early with the kiss of death.

Sydney win for me. They will be remembered as the pricks who shot Bambi!

Interested to see which old club legends get selected to present the cup should their team triumph. For the Doggies, has to be Dougie Hawkins. For Sydney, not so sure - Andy Demetriou perhaps - ;)

I'd like to see Eddie present the cup to Sydney.....
Adam Goodes :D
If we knock of the dogs we will already be hated, adding Goodes to it will almost send the place into the riot :lol:
by woodublieve12
Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Took the trip to Noarlunga today, thought the Lions were quiet good on field and much better than last year. Will win more games this year than last.

The players after the game were fantastic, spent a good half an hour with the few Lions supporters there, nothing was too much trouble. Signatures, pictures and conversation. Only player not interested was Ryan Bastinac who just ran straight into the change rooms. My sons face was beaming!
by Brodlach
Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well done to Browns well going back to back in the independants today. Were cleaner with the ball under pressure and were comfortable winners over a lacklustre fumbly paringa side that never really got going.

Colts was an upset with Wunkar knocking over heavy favourites paringa who were undefeated all year i believe. Great shootout with several lead changes throughout the day but some how the wunkar boys who were half the size on average of their opponents just won more of the contested footy when it mattered most.

Great game to watch but begs the question what does the future hold for the colts in independants? If only half the teams are fielding a side what did these kids do every second week this year? If its not sustainable is it time to scrap independant juniors and just carry on with a senior competition? I know the millewa football league near mildura has been doing this for years and are going along surviving ok for now albeit i think they now only have 6 teams now..
Went over today to watch the daughters fella play and watched the young fellas play beforehand. Bloody loved the atmosphere and emotion of both teams. I've been of the view for a while that the independents need to merge with RFL but after last few weeks of watching the games, i hope they keep their own identity in the independents. The closeness of community is like nothing else in independents. Was great to see it and as an ex cobby boy i hope they stick around because they all need to be around to keep the league up and running.
by Bum Crack
Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If your hungry for some action, there is 2 trial games & the 9-a-side comp on tomorrow around the region.

Independants 9-A-Side @ Lyrup
BMFC v Red Cliff
Renmark v Tanunda

Should be a great day for it!!
by SuperFrank
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |