Search found 146 matches

Return

Re: Abbott Watch

Nothing has happened yet to base a judgement on as the Liberals are still trying to decipher the confusion in the mess left behind and work out what they have to do. Only prejudicial presumption rules here at present.

As I've said before, though I am a Liberal Party member, I'm not a big Abbott fan either.
But I'll wait and see before I start pushing for his replacement.,

He did do a good job sorting out the mess his (Liberal) predecessor had made of the Health portfolio, when he took it over in 2003.

- Signing/Threating to sign the TPP 'agreement' before the Sentate sees it. Phillip Morris is planning to sue us to get their prett pictures back on their deadly product. Expect more of this shit if this agreement gets signed
- Gonski backflip when Pyne hasn't even read the report
- Threating to cut the funding of the ABC because it dares to bad mouth the government
- Offending China
- Offending Indonesia
- Offending East Timor
- Deleting articles from the Tony Abbott website that contradict his current position on various matters
- Censorship being raised to an artform - authorising the Militar to say **** all on Soveriegn Borders
- High court challeges to prevent homosexual marriages
- Establishing a debt-ceiling at a time when he was supposed to be reigning in debt responsibly
- Introduction of new powers to prevent protestors in Tasmania from entering a 'worksite'
- Dredging the great barrier reef marine park
- Raiding Women's superannuation
- Reneging on a payrise for Child Care Workers while at the same time handing out the usual Tax cut to the Rich
- Repealing Anti-Vilification legislation
- Closing down GrainCorp negotiation in a so called 'open for business' government, now he has to play tough on Holden and QANTAS.
- Despite the meltdown in Japan, thinking of creating a Nuclear Power plant in FNQ
- Attempting to change the rules on how the Governor General is selected because of Quentin Bryce's dissent

This is a corporate dictatorship, paid for by Murdoch and Reinhardt. These clowns have no idea that they were voted in TO REPRESENT US, not sell us as products to multinationals. Abbot doesn't give a shit because like George W Bush, he's been bought and paid for and they are now coming to collect.

It will take us decades to recover from this government.

regards,

REB
by Rik E Boy
Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

Asked my missus to marry me last night....and she said yes
by HH3
Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

People that leave trolleys in car park spaces should be shot.
by Squids
Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows 2014

It's more than a little funny that their season is over before their reserves even take the field.
by smac
Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 3 Post Match - Central v Adelaide

I suppose I have nothing of any value to add to this thread except to say that in 40+ years as a Centrals supporter I have never been as pi55ed off after a loss as I am now. Including Grand Finals.
Outclassed in the game no arguing.
WTF are they doing here?
Special shoutout to all those who wore both Centrals gear and Franchise stuff at the same time. You are beneath contempt.
by Kahuna
Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows reserves supporters

bennymacca wrote:

to be honest though, the more people whinge like little girls on this forum, the more i am finding myself barracking for the crows to do well.

GO STATE TEAM CROWS! :D

You make me sick.
Get the Centrals logo off your profile.
by Kahuna
Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows reserves supporters

bennymacca wrote:Who made you judge and jury.

In short go fk yourself.

You've obviously only started barracking for Centrals since 2000.

There's no way a die-hard, true & loyal Doggies supporters would think twice about which scarfe to adorn.
by dogbreath
Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

One of the very few times in my life i was barracking for centrals and they let me down. I am depressed about what the sanfl has become now. It is ajoke and people that supportthe crows and power reserves are not real south australians.can somebody give me one good reason to keep following it?
by passionatelegsfan
Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

One of the very few times in my life i was barracking for centrals and they let me down. I am depressed about what the sanfl has become now. It is ajoke and people that supportthe crows and power reserves are not real south australians.can somebody give me one good reason to keep following it?

I'm not south Australian because I follow a team that has been apart of this competition since day 1? Seriously my 10 year old niece doesn't even cry this much. You don't need a good reason to keep following, you need to walk away so the rest opus don't have to keep listening to you cry about it.
It's the first year of two full time professional teams playing in our league.
Watching yesterday's game I still can't understand how they're allowed to play in our league. The licenses are sold, we don't need them, though they may need us.

So how long do you think the SANFl would survive without AO? I'd give 3 years max. Face it the only thing that has kept the SANFL alive is the AFL.
SANFL are part owners of AO and allways will be, if you dont like it play at Alberton.
If it wasnt for the SANFL you wouldnt even still be in the AFL
by Jim05
Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 5 already and what goes with it

Should get life for wearing that jumper and 3 weeks on top for the bump...
by carey
Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

People ragging on Elizabeth because the Royals are going there. I ******* HATE people that think they're above other people, and I'd rather spend time with Elizabethans than arrogant dickheads. Just because people don't have as much money as some, doesn't make them bad people.

If the shoe was on the other foot, and they were going up to Burnside Village to have coffee with the "better" people of Adelaide, you wouldn't hear one complaint from Elizabeth, and people would happily make the trek to go see them if thats what they wanted to do.

Makes me angry!
by HH3
Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Damn it! I want the SANFL to be like it was in the good 'ol days. Now we've got "Showdowns" in Clare and a commercial network broadcasting games to a wider TV audience all the while 10,000 are going to Glenelg on a Friday night.

I liked it better when the Bays lost in front of 2800 people.
I'd rather 6,000 go to the Bay to watch a competition with an even playing field and integrity. Crowd numbers aren't the "be all". If this was the sole measuring stick, a lot of competitions wouldn't exist.
by sjt
Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pure SANFL ladder

All you Port and Crows boys and girls, instead of whinging and whining, how about just don't read the thread. You know it's about. I have no interest in the AFL. Do you see me in that forum making flaming posts?

You whine on about how every thread is hijacked by the anti afl mob but most of the crap that starts drags a topic down is posted by one of your lot.
by johntheclaret
Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL in the SANFL discussion/debate

Lol Rnd 5 Port v Adel thread

Greatest forward line to play in the SANFL ever. And I think one of them named has been playing for Richmond

I can see it is going to be hard work for you Dutchy :D
by johntheclaret
Fri May 02, 2014 4:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 5 - Adelaide v Port Magpies @ Clare Oval (Sun 4/5)

heater31 wrote:Any chance gentlemen of discussing this weeks match?

Match implies a competitive fixture.

Now if you'd said 'this week's trial game' you'd be on the money.

Like anyone cares who wins this absolute effing travesty.
by topsywaldron
Fri May 02, 2014 2:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well here I am at lameroo. Top of the table clash (who would ever have thought I could say that abkut peake??) $5 to get in, including car park, $7 for a rum can, $3 for a glass of port!! And two teams fighting hard for a win under the same rules...plus the president of peake isnt a ****.

ill watch a great game, spend less cash and get more hammered than if I was at prospect. Bohdan, once the people you have driven away fill their weekends with other things, and the novelty of reserves sides wares off, all you have tok look forward to will be an empty stand and a few geriatric haply clappers to blow smoke up your arse.

Enjoy
Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
by tipper
Sat May 03, 2014 4:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

End of the 1st Qtr

With a shortened season, we are now a quarter of the way through.

Port Reserves looking like they might run away with it due to their unrealistic advantage. They are a able to draw on their AFL stars whilst topping up with experience, hardened SANFL players. People may well talk about how the Reserve Clubs will be affected as injuries mount to their respective AFL sides but in Port's case it seems they have this covered by the level of SANFL players retained on their list. This year might be a learning curve for the SANFL committee who, hopefully, will address the balance next year. Forecast finish 1st

Adelaide Crows Reserves are pretty much where most people expected them to be. Whilst they can be competitive as the win two week's ago proved, they won't dominate the league in the same way that Port will do this year. They also have the disadvantage of the quality of stock available when injuries mount in their AFL side. You would expect Adelaide to finish in the bottom 3 which will be perfectly acceptable for a development squad. Forecast finish 9th

Of the two "no voters" South is doing rather well and outperformed most peoples expectations including I suspect, many South supporters.
Eddy for the Panthers has been a revelation this year and his goals have been instrumental in their success. The whole club seems to have lifted and got behind a relatively unknown and unproven coach. Free flowing and the ability to kick goals in abundance should see South there or there abouts come season end. Their big problem, just like every other club in the league, will be how they fair when the injuries pile up. This week saw them lose 3 to injury. Having to play with a depleted bench for more than half a game is tough for any team. The fact that South came back to snatch the lead again before succumbing to a couple of late goals show the determination they this year, when in the same circumstances in previous years would have seen them roll over and lose by a much bigger margin. Forecast finish 4th

Centrals haven't recovered from the loss of the Gowan twins along with some other inspirational players and their new recruits don't appear to have the same drive and determine as the old guard which has turned attention onto their coach Roy Laird. Laird has been a fantastic coach for Centrals making him one of the most successful coaches in SANFL history and the dominance of the Centals side through the noughties was record breaking. To sustain that level of dominance year after year is impossible. Ask Man Utd. Centrals had a group of players that stood out from the rest, not just a couple of great players like most clubs have but a team of great players. There was always going to be a time when these great players retired or moved on and Centrals were never going to be able to replace them. It's a rebuilding time for the Dogs which might take a few years and maybe a new Coach, but to panic now and remove mid season would be a mistake. Forecast finish 8th

Woodville West Torrens hVe been there or thereabouts for a few years now, often the bridesmaid and it looks like they will miss out again this year. Wundke, Ainger and Grocke provide a potent forward line up as proved this week with 8 goal between them and at full strength the Eagles will be difficult to beat. They have a settled squad and have made some good acquisitions this year to strengthen that squad. It's hard to see anyone other than Port from denying then top spot . Forecast finish 2nd

Premiers Norwood are proving disappointing this year and whilst Redleg fans might point to the fact they suffered heavy losses of stock during the closed season, I might be fair to say that the new recruits don't understand or aren't skilled enough to execute the Norwood gameplan. Couple this to a very inexperienced coach who is trying to carry on the same strategy that worked so well for two seasons under Bassett and you seem to end up with a mix that is no longer stopping sides from scoring and not scoring big themselves. It is possible that playing a gameplan and coaching a gameplan are not necessarily complimentary. Forecast finish 5th

Sturt are another that has surprised many so far. They were expected to struggle more this year than last after losing so many back to their club in the Crows. They did however recruit very well, particularly from Port Adelaide and are playing some very attractive footy. Hard at the ball and the man, they are also very quick at moving the ball forward. When they have the ball they create spare men to give it to and when they don't have the ball they are very aggressive at closing the opposition down and winning it back. A traditional SANFL approach that has somewhat been lost over the years, and importantly, they play and look like a team. Forecast finish 3rd

Glenelg were a bit of an enigma. Made some big signings and looked like they meant business. After last season they had to do something about strengthening the squad but to many Bays fans the problems at the club ran deeper than the lack of skill on the oval. Apart from one upset, there doesn't appear to be enough changes in the mentality st the club for them to pull away from the foot of the table. With the likes of big Clint Alleway they have the capacity to kick a big score but many would also question whether players like Alleway, in the twilight of their career have the stamina and the desire to perform at SANFL level. The other problem for Glenelg is that their Spoon rivals in both South and Sturt have significantly improved this year. Forecast finish 10th

Westies started the season with confidence. They had a new coach and looked like they were building on what they had achieved over the last two seasons. Injuries have hurt them and it is hard to see where they will be come the final day. What does seem to be disappointing, not only to most watchers from other clubs but to a growing number of their own fans, is that the gamplan seems be to be the same flooding defensive approach. Still came back this week and kicked a hatful of goals and maybe with a few others coming in West may develop a more attacking style. Four straight loses at the beginning of a 20 game season might have left them with a gap to far to have an impact on the finals this year. Forecast finish 7th

North just beggar to deceive. One week irrepressible, the next week a basket case. Personally I am not convinced about the coach yet. He was from Port yet Strurt seem to get the best named recruits. We have been flattered by the scoreboard more than once this year Sturt being the latest and we don't fight enough we we are in possession. Injuries are racking up forcing North to play inexperienced youngsters which have made an impact on the performances but the big worry is the reaction from the experienced players out there. Our skill levels, which have been a bit up and down fro years, seemed to have dropped as does our kicking and decision making. still in the five just, but North Re likely to be one of a bunch who will fight it out for 5th place. Forecast finish 6th

One thing has stood out as a big positive this year in that all 8 SANFL clubs are competing on a level playing field without the advantage or disadvantage of the influence AFL listed players had in previous years. Unfortunately there seems to be far more negatives with the current situation which will need to be addressed for next season if the SANFL are to have any chAnce of surviving.
by johntheclaret
Sun May 04, 2014 9:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: End of the 1st Qtr

Loved the comment that the 8 genuine clubs are on an even playing field. If the Commission had got Port's entry conditions correct (ie. the same as Crows) then this could have been a real positive for SANFL. To allow Port to retain so many league players and then recruit other highly experienced players by fudging the rules is such a shame and demonstrates weak leadership.
by SANFLnut
Sun May 04, 2014 9:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

Melbourne beating Adelaide.
by carey
Sat May 03, 2014 10:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R5 - West v Central Post Match

Jeez, must be horrific, all that success in a decade and no flag in 3 years.

How do you cope?

Maybe follow South for 50 years to get some perspective.

Never has one's name been so apt.
by dedja
Mon May 05, 2014 8:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Regarding the 'SANFL Showdown' yesterday, the SANFL used to be something footy people could watch that didn't involve the AFL.

There are nine AFL matches every week, with a TV channel 24/7 devoted to the AFL, and pages in the paper everyday on the AFL. Few would argue that there is an AFL saturation.

I've never been completely interested in the AFL, but at least until this season it was discreet enough not to pitch its talons into the SANFL. Until this season.

An attraction for many people to the SANFL was the fact that it wasn't the AFL - it was a point of difference.

The invasion of the AFL into the SANFL thus eliminates the point of difference. As if there wasn't enough AFL on the screen already, you can now sit down, turn on the TV to see the SANFL and end up with the Crows and the Power. Really it beggars belief that it can permeate that far.

It really is amazing how much AFL people want to see, and that they can't realize that some people liked the SANFL because it didn't involve it. It's hard to put into words how baffling it is that the people who are meant to be the custodians of the South Australian game actually thought that it was a good idea to extend the AFL saturation even further and get rid of this point of difference.

I simply can't fathom the joy certain Crows and Power fans have at seeing reserves teams in the SANFL.

Watching part of the match yesterday, I thought, if the 40,000 pieces of silver a year keep the league going, then great, but really, what is the point? What is the point of the SANFL continuing if the match of the round is Crows v Power? Why not just can it and show re-runs of the real Showdown if people love the AFL teams that much.

In brief, if the SANFL is now all about AFL team v AFL team, what is the &%$#ing point?

Vent over. Cheers,

RB.
by RB
Mon May 05, 2014 11:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 6 LIVE scores

Dols wrote:]there is a whinge thread for people like you[LOUDLY CRYING FACE]

There is a comp for you, it's called the AFL. (Insert retardation emoticon)
by topsywaldron
Sun May 11, 2014 6:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

matt35 wrote:Talk of panic is nonsense!

Disregarding facts is nonsense.

Membership is down at the majority of the eight SANFL clubs, that's the ultimate determinant of the health of the comp.

You just pop your commemorative Tex Walker mullet wig back on and leave the discussion to the grown ups.
by topsywaldron
Sun May 11, 2014 11:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The last caller Aaron from Coromandel Valley also mentioned safooty.net. He called us all a bunch of NIMBY's. Well Aaron stop coming to the site if you don't like it.

lol. its a forum. The whole point of a forum is for discussion. not as an echo chamber for your own narrow views.

people like you ARE NIMBYs.

Plenty of others seem capable of rational thought though. On both sides of the argument.

Bennymacca and the other pro-reservists gets to determine the parameters of the debate Cennals, haven't you figured that out yet?

If they don't like your point = whinger and NIMBY. If they do = they kindly grant you the status of rational but incorrect. Again, their support of the concept has absolute NOTHING to do with their AFL allegiances, its a completely selfless and progressive viewpoint.

Watch their progressive stance vanish if for example Westies alligned with Essendon and became their reserves.................
by UK Fan
Mon May 12, 2014 5:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 7 - Port Magpies v South @ Alberton Oval (Sat 17/5

For a club who rightly voted against this fiasco i would like to see South rest the majority of our best players and play a number of reserves players to get experience against an AFL side and by doing so voice their displeasure against this uneven playing field. Sadly they won't and we'll all see the result of a game between full-time professional footballers against part-time semi professional footballers that will further embarrass the SANFL in allowing this disaster to take place.
by darley16
Tue May 13, 2014 10:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 7 - Port Magpies v South @ Alberton Oval (Sat 17/5

At last count South have 2 players injured gone for the year, and another 5 injured who would be walk up starts if fit. Also 3-4 others who are injured who would be handy replacements. South do not have the rehab facilities or expert sports med budget of an AFL club either.
At last count Port will have 15 AFL listed, fulltime professional players playing on Saturday, who train or play 7 days a week. I saw a couple of South players digging a trench yesterday..before racing off to do a 2 hr hour training session last night, others are studying or working fulltime.They werent busy doing skills work running around witches hats, doing rehab or weights or honing their understanding of the game plan.

This years SANFL season is absolutely ludicrous. It is a grossly uneven competition. The clubs that voted for this diabolical shambles should hang their collective heads in shame. The SANFL commission is a disgrace for even contemplating this debacle.....

Having said that... I think South will take it right up to Port.
For those who havent twigged yet, this South Adelaide team ,its vastly different to the inept whipping boys of the past...
by blueandwhite
Tue May 13, 2014 11:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 7 - Port Magpies v South @ Alberton inc Post Matc

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/17/erugu6az.jpg
Think you should hang to these yourself til you get your hand off it... should have recorded it and embarrassed the tossers on here, but was too busy watching great hard running footy.
If you're happy with success coming the way it is this year then you really need them
by Scrapboy
Sun May 18, 2014 2:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 7 - Port Magpies v South @ Alberton inc Post Matc

Dols wrote:Image

Yeah tissues, your mob have been about as good us us, now through great recruiting and good management you turned it all around....oh hang on that's not quite right is it, enjoy your fabricated success
by westcoastpanther
Sun May 18, 2014 1:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 7 - Glenelg v Central @ Gliderol inc Post Match

Apachebulldog wrote:As i have said previously if you are without two to four experienced players due to injury the team is stuffed especially if its a a new young side and i guess the Bays are in the same predicament.

Spot on.
by Spargo
Sun May 18, 2014 11:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You do have to laugh, just two left clicks of your mouse and you can enter the AFL thread where you will get hundreds of examples of crows and power fans whinging about Victorian teams not having to travel, COLA, soft/hard draws, amount of draft picks given to GWS and GC, father son rules, which team the local media favour and yet when SANFL whinge about a genuine concern they turn a blind eye.
by whufc
Sun May 18, 2014 3:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: LIVE SCORES ROUND 7

Roy Laird...OUT!!!
You have no idea, Apostle !!!
What do you suggest then? Just keep wallowing in shit performances???
Well, apart from making knee-jerk, reactionary comments, perhaps make a decent suggestion yourself, other than just a throw away line of 'Laird Out'...

Doggies fans have had it too good for a long time now and do not handle coming back to the pack too well. Be grateful for what the club has done in the last decade and appreciate that all good runs come to an end and rebuilding is a process that will eventually have to be faced...

Who would you bring in? Regardless of how the rest of the season pans out, Laird will see out 2014, IMO. Whether he is there in 2015 remains to be seen...
by Big Phil
Sat May 17, 2014 7:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tells a story if Nason is still getting a game ...
by dedja
Sun May 18, 2014 8:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If I think he's a dud then I'll say so, couldn't handle niggling from a kid who has only played 4 games.

That wasn't niggle, mate, that was just stupid tactics from Stevens. Made to look like a little silly as well when Nason came off and faked running into him and shirked away in fear.

Why waste a kids talent of doing that off the ball rubbish on a player you don't see worthy of playing League football?
by Big Phil
Sun May 18, 2014 9:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great article from Warren Partland in today's paper...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/quit-the-charade-magpies-are-dead-writes-warren-partland/story-fnii05e5-1226922482960

Quit the charade, Magpies are dead...

THE Port Adelaide Magpies are in name only and are not the true Magpies.

Port Adelaide and the SANFL can voice their disapproval as much as they want but the charade is already over after just eight rounds.

They ceased to be the Magpies when they were given a licence to include Eagles, Roosters, Bulldogs and Tigers in the side.

Paul Stewart is a Woodville-West Torrens product, last year Cameron Hitchcock was in the Glenelg jumper and Sam Colquhoun learned his football at Central District. State league clubs are now playing against players they developed who signed with the Power for the AFL.

The Power, just like the Crows, wanted teams in the state league so they could keep their players together. Any club with a second side calls it their reserves under the same label.

The Crows didn’t come up with the Galahs or Pigeons for their second side. They stuck with the Crows and while they prefer the team be tagged its state league side, it is still acknowledged as their reserves.

So why is the Power reserves called the Magpies, especially when products of other state league programs are involved? And don’t they want to be known as the one club?

The difference between the Crows and Power reserves is the more favourable conditions offered to Port Adelaide, which was allowed to retain key personnel from last year’s Magpies outfit.

Next year, Port Adelaide will lose its zones and under age teams. However, the damage is already being done on the evidence of the past six weeks.

The Power reserves have won their past six games by a combined 423 points at an average of more than 70. Their past two wins were by 50 and 60 points against Sturt and South Adelaide respectively. Those two teams sat second on the ladder underneath the Power reserves going into those battles.

The Power reserves have also beaten the Eagles by 58 points. It is the Eagles’ only loss.

When the Crows were given the green light to field a team in the state league and Port Adelaide was allowed to keep its reserves at Alberton and not spread throughout the competition, there were plenty of nerves of an AFL team domination.

Already clubs are relying on Power injuries to bring it back to the pack.

No doubt if the Power reserves win the grand final the club will claim it as an extension of the Magpies’ proud history. Yeah, right.
by Big Phil
Mon May 19, 2014 12:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I fully understand what was posted. As you said the big hint in the first sentence. Did you notice that the last 3 words? IN SOUTH AUSTRALIA. Meaning they are the governing body for all competitions in South Australia. The AFL is a Australia wide competition. Just so you understand.

ACT and NSW governing body is AFL NSW/ACT
NT governing body is AFL NT
Queensland Governing body is AFL Queensland
SA governing body South Australian Football Commission
Tasmania governing body is AFL Victoria
Victoria governing body is AFL Victoria
WA governing body is WA football commission

The SANFL only have a say on the leagues that based in SA, anything outside of this is out of their control e.g. the AFL. The AFL is the governing body for Australia Football and that is why all of the governing body listed above follow the laws of the game, which are set out by the governing body the AFL. I just wish that you could have used the phrase 'governing body' more often in that post. If all 'governing bodies', including the SA Football Commission, just blindly follow the chief 'governing body', the AFL, on the laws of the game, then good luck to your SANFL team in running out with 22 men and complaining about how short your 50 metre penalties are, next weekend.
by SimonH
Tue May 20, 2014 12:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Interesting that despite Port's relative "Success" in the past 18 months they are yet to turn things around financially, where do they stand now (and the future) the SANFL are no longer bank rolling them? Here is a link, even though the 2013 Annual Report doesn't seem to be (easily found) on the PAFC website. Loss of $1.69 million, following on from a loss of $2.1 million in the 2012 Annual Report. That 2012 result was with a special grant from the SANFL of $2 million though, so it was a real trading loss of $4.1 million. (The club has a 'book' asset valuation of $5 million calculated by deducting assets from $17 million, liabilities of $12 million, but that's only 'book value' as a going concern, i.e. if you were to shut the place up and flog its assets on the market, you'd never get near $17 million.)

Financially, the dream is that Port Adelaide FC improves from being a basketcase, to a mere mediocrity (i.e. break-even or smallish losses). Or to put it another way: if it were a for-profit business on the stock exchange, its shares would be trading at about 1 cent and it could be bought for near enough to nothing by anyone willing to take on its debt. (See: the horribly starry-eyed North Melbourne FC stock market float, from the pre-Wall Street days when capitalism was going to save the world.) And yes, there are at least 6 to 8 current AFL clubs (and no doubt at least 4 or 5 SANFL clubs) you could also say that about.

Like most footy clubs forever, Port runs on commitment, belief, momentum and hope. Of course there have been a lot of wonderful things written about Adelaide Oval, and the 2014 Annual Report result should be a lot better than those that preceded it, but I doubt whether the location a club plays home games at, can change the fundamentals of its business.

The most hilarious thing about the 'Crows reserves in the SANFL' argument (among many hilarious things), was the claim, 'without the $50k per club per year fee and all of the lovely extra attention from letting the Crows play, about 5 clubs will pack up and close and the SANFL comp will be basically destroyed anyway, because look at the terrible balance-sheets these clubs have ! Newsflash: many or most footy clubs have always had balance-sheets that terrible. Ironically, the AFL was born because too many VFL clubs had sent themselves broke offering silly deals to poach stars (and just administering their business badly) by the mid-1980s, and they felt they desperately needed a cash injection to stay afloat. As the South Australians wouldn't play ball, the cashed-up West Aussies looked like an easy mark...
by SimonH
Tue May 20, 2014 5:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is you interest so far in the SANFL competition in

So 62% have lost interest in the League, only 11% have more interest because of the AFL teams, not exactly what was sold to us at the club meetings to explain the yes decision or what is being sold to us in the media.

With clubs already struggling how can they sustain in this new environment where people are losing/lost interest?
But putting my statistician's hat on and playing the devil's advocate, how biased a sample are we?
Crowds don't seem to be down by as much as our little poll would suggest...

Biased? I think our members are a good cross section of SANFL support, Im not sure where else you might get a more accurate sample of people who are "core" SANFL supporters than here.

He doesn't meant biased in a derogatory sense. But the fact that you say there are mostly "core" supporters on here proves your point.

Support is not just about the core supporters but how it appeals to the whole cross section of people.

And given crowds aren't down (yet at least) maybe there is at least some other part of the spectrum of supporters that like the change.

Novelty and curiosity have certainly piqued the interest of some. Of course you have to be careful not to alienate the long term supporters which is what this change may have done.

But I still think most of these supporters will return in the long term.

I would describe myself as a former diehard but now somewhat casual and also conflicted centrals fan and my interest is probably higher than the last couple of years but still not as high as the rest of this century.

Core supporters are the ones that have followed their clubs and the league thru think and thin over many years, putting $ through the club via membership, merchandise, food, drink etc...Essentially the lifeblood of a footy club...

Those that may have a higher interest in the league now because of the AFL teams may watch on TV or go to the odd game (which AFC members get in for free) aren't the lifeblood of footy clubs.

Core support has dropped no doubt, and this poll proves it. Many clubs didn't even allow their core members to have any input into the decision, mine was just happy with the $50k from the Crows.

Once you have lost these supporters they will never return, a long term habit of going to the footy has been broken by a non genuine competition and failed administration.
by Dutchy
Wed May 21, 2014 4:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is you interest so far in the SANFL competition in

I took the decision to sign up as a member and continue with my sponsorship, but I won't be going to any games this year ;)

I would say my interest has definitely waned this year. North are playing Port this week end, traditionally my favourite game of the season. But this year I won't be bothering to get up for it. a) because they aren't the real Port anymore and b) because it isn't a fair contest and I have no desire to listen to North getting pummeled by a team with such an unfair advantage.

It is hard though as I really do care about North and the SANFL. So far this season I have sort of blocked out the fact that the ressies are in, in the hope that things might just work out. But as the rounds roll on it is getting harder to maintain whatever interest I have left. Port destroying everyone in sight is just accelerating that loss of interest. It's not sour grapes, it's just unfair.

The sad fact is that the damage has already been done and many stay away fans will be lost to the SANFL forever. Personally, if they get this mess sorted out, my interest and passion for North and the SANFL would soon be fully restored.

If they don't sort this mess out soon, the I doubt I will continue as a member and sponsor in the future.
by johntheclaret
Fri May 23, 2014 5:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Worst AFL media person..

Mr "over analysis" Brereton, thinks he knows everything about the game and just shows what a self loving flog that he is
by stampy
Thu May 29, 2014 1:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

But these cookies define your identity crisis perfectly.
by smac
Thu May 29, 2014 10:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Essendon 2014

It's clear ASADA are sympathetic to the players, unfortunately regardless of them not knowing what was happening to them in terms of what was injected or ingested, it is ultimately the player (athlete) who must take the ultimate responsibility.

Image if this happened in cycling, and the cyclist claimed the same defence? I doubt many would be sympathetic.

It's a harsh world of compliance unfortunately, but I do really feel for the players and the Essendon Board and Hird should hang their heads in shame for putting the players last, both at the time of offending and now for trying to run away from the truth.
by dedja
Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 12 - Glenelg v Eagles @ Gliderol (Sun 6/7)

Booney wrote:
Seriously, can anyone see this lot ever dragging themselves off the canvas?

If they prove incapable of it by themselves then they could always host reserves for an AFL club to drag them up off the canvas, like that other mob did...
by Pseudo
Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Well played North supporters

or any mention of the adelaide oval stadium deal. how much do they go on about not liking that??

in the words of tex walker. your club voted to accept the stadium deal. about time you got over it.....
by tipper
Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I mean seriously, how dare the media cater for the majority of South Australian Football fans who happen to support Adelaide or Port Adelaide, what a crazy idea that is!

Any chance the "majority of SA Football fans" could turn up to support their team? That's what they all wanted remember?

While I expected things to pan out the way they have, if these glorified trial games were at least giving the SANFL good 4k average crowds (as promised) with good atmosphere, providing non SANFL people a good day out and reasons to return as well as making $ to the established clubs, then I could be turned to support, in a small way, the new era of SANFL.

However this has not happened, the product is worse, the crowds are worse, the clubs cannot be financially better off (reporting time at the end of the year will be very interesting) and the league has lost a lot of core fans who have now found something else to do on the weekends.

The clubs/administrators thought they spent some time on this in 2013, I imagine this years off season will be worse, trying to unravel the mistakes, if it is retrievable.
by Dutchy
Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I did start writing this in the Sturt vs Port thread, but quickly realised it was a big whinge...

Another game decided by the ridiculous advantages Port have been given with the top ups. How can Nathan Krakouer be allowed to play as a top up. Age 26, 2 AFL clubs, not a Port junior.

Sturt did well. I was hoping for a win for them. Unfortunately it is looking more and more likely that the Power Reserves will be one of the Grand Finalists this year. You could have hid the mess under the carpet, for this season at least, if Port and Adelaide were mid-table or below, but season 2014 (and beyond if they don't change it) will have a massive asterisk next to it as a wasted season because winning or losing against the AFL clubs means absolutely nothing.

This is worse than Lance Armstrong and the drugs in Le Tour de France. At least the majority of riders were on the same thing back then. This SANFL season has been recommended and ratified by the SANFL Commission and its League Directors.

I will admit I was very wrong in giving this a go and LPH, Centurion, smac, whufc and co were spot on from the start. It doesn't feel right going to the football any more.

I don't care about Channel 7. I don't care about high priced recruits. I don't care about being the 2nd best competition. I don't care about the full time staff behind the scenes. I care about a level playing field and my team competing in a competition with integrity. There is simply no integrity while AFL Reserves teams are competing in the SANFL.

I think it was premature writing the SANFL off as what it was and extremely incompetent by those who made the decision to ignore/dismiss the guiding principles when coming to the decision to allow the change.
by Aerie
Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

I got offered members tickets today but refused to go. 1 I didn't want to listen to a stupid crow over the loud speaker and 2 I didn't want to listen to stupid crow supporters yell out ball whenever a player is touched.

but if you are a true supporter then you would support your club not matter who they where playing.

So now we know you're not a true supporter.

Support is one thing, attending/not attending the game for various reasons is another.

I think he's referring to people not attending SANFL games where the Crows side is involved, or indeed not following the side at all anymore, or indeed changing the club you support.

Good selective editing though, must have taken you a while? :lol:

Absolute muppet this bloke, not going because there will be opposition fans there, weak as piss. If you were so confident in your side you would have went and enjoyed the win, telling them how clueless they really are all day. Not a supporters asshole....
by westcoastpanther
Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glenelg Senior Coach 2014

I didn't say he's guilty but there are 30 charges and if he's found guilty he needs to go. I'm a white ribbon ambassador and take domestic violence very seriously. It's not a joking matter and more men need to get on board. 11 times I collected my sister from hospital over the years so you can shove your hard on comment up your arse.
by luketorrens
Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 14 - Central v Eagles @ Playford Alive (Sat 19/7)

Actually I thought the crowd figure looked reasonable this week. There was a good contingent of eagles supporters considering their supporter base, and I for one thank them for making the trip out. One group who wear yellow and are far from it. Too many opposition supporters fail to make the trip on the bogus and frankly, cowardly belief they are going to be confronted by some someone of a lower social class than themselves.

In terms of crowds this year, I thought the Crows game was sub 1000. The West game did eventually build after the poor weather at the start of the game, but 1700?

In my opinion Centrals until 2008 had a supporting home crowd of 3000. Opposition supporters fluctuated but hardly would exceed the 1000 mark. Since then its been a gradual decline due to the economic issues, however this year has seen a dramatic downturn, mostly on the terrace side and the northern hill. Further economic downturn, changing employment conditions, Crows entry and dual allegiance, the comp becoming a reserves, poor form, bandwagoners,.....

The northern suburbs has changed drastically over the years, from blue collar paradise, to social welfare housing to low cost housing and living. Centrals needs to reconnect with the community; how is the question.
by wild dog
Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 Tribunal News & Discussions

I don't disagree with Hartlett's penalty but in a peverse way it might encourage more of the dregs to front up (from behind a fence) and let loose at an opposition player. It would be a badge of honour to some of the cretins to think that they had a hand in a key opposition player missing important matches, for some, probably the highlight of their tiny lives. The fan involved has to face some consequences of his actions. What is going to happen to Grant??

Nothing needs to happen to Grant, Hartlett should be a professional and ignore it, not sure how Grant is getting any blame for this?

I don't disagree he should ignore. But it is very unusual for a player to snap like this in our game. For it to be the same bloke, means it should be looked into. There are levels of behaviour that should be expected of both players and spectators.
by Dogwatcher
Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |