Search found more than 1967 matches

Return

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

I've asked this before and pretty sure I didn't get a response but I think a true reflection on the state of the league would be membership figures 2014 v 2013. Anyone have them?

Im not sure that the types of memberships are the same though. For instance I think this year a few clubs have introduced 3 game memberships which adds to a clubs' tally but doesn't introduce any/much new income (none if those supporters would have paid to attend those games anyway).

I try not to get drawn into this argument these days because it seems pointless, with each person arguing in favour of their allegiance, but I will say that I fear for the future of the comp still and imho 1 season is probably too short a timeframe to make definitive assessments. Although club financials at seasons end could make interesting reading.
by JK
Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

Heading up the the Gold Coast tonight...

Jase Jnr is competing at the SchoolAerobics national finals in Hip Hop. His team, Mayhem, is representing our school and South Australia...

His crew performs Sunday arvo and we're staying up in the GC for a couple of days extra...

The only thing I don't rate, is the flying part... not a big fan of flying ...

Good luck mate. my niece is up there too with her Activ8 group
by JK
Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: (Fantasy) Hogg EPL 2014/15

OK, haven't played for several years, might aswell remind myself why I don't lol .. IN!!
by JK
Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL 2014

bennymacca wrote:
JK wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:freo into $1.72 with roughy out for the week

My bet of buddy to win the Coleman @ $9 is looking good

Ive got him at $17, but I don't think he'll get there .. Reckon Schultz is due for a bag sooner rather than later

Showoff

I know right
by JK
Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Robin Williams - your favourite memories/movies

Enjoyed his performances in plenty of stuff, probably the Fisher King the most. A great loss. Always struck me as one of those "fine line between Genius and Insanity" types.
by JK
Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Essendon 2014

Now Hird turns on the hand that feeds him.

You would have to think it's only a matter of time before Hird is sacked by Essendon.

Little should do the honourable thing and resign considering his actions, together with the Board, have cost the club millions.

The decision to give Hird a 2 year contract extension and to continue to pay him $1M pa when Essendon were dealt with sanctions last year was the height of stupidity.

Clearly Hird is all about Hird, and will endeavour to take everyone down with him.

I feel for genuine Essendon supporters.
How do you figure that?
Having listened to the majority of todays proceedings it seems he is going to take a few down with him and hopefully expose the AFL as the crooks they are. I sense that he knows he wont be back next year and now he can finally have his say in court he will let rip.
Jim, the AFL didn't inject the players, the club did under Hirds management.
THE END!
And as ive said a million times, as long as the drugs were not banned I couldnt care if the players received 100 injections per day. As yet there is still no substantial evidence that any illegal drugs were given, my opinion will change if new evidence arises

No substantial evidence that what the players were given was legal either, because the club either doesn't know or is unwilling to share what was in the jabs. The onus is on the club to prove themselves innocent rather than have to be proven guilty, and rightly so.
by JK
Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Essendon 2014

RustyCage wrote:I don't care what the afl did leak or say to people or what Andy D did or didn't know, they aren't the ones who did the wrong thing.

Well they are, they're just not the only ones
by JK
Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Retirements - 2014

Lewis Roberts Thompson has announced his retirement. Champion.. One of my faves. His performances in the 2 winning gf's were excellent and was a bit stiff not to win the norm smith in 2005... Very reliable. Gun

Nick Fosdike was stiff too. Great call about LRT, always admire the players that get by predominately through honesty and sheer will.
by JK
Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glenelg Senior Coach 2014

Refreshing to see an organisation take this path instead of being shit scared of the perception.

Let's be honest though, they've got very little to lose.
You reckon? If he's found guilty, the clean up will be a big task.

Not really, all SA media outlets would have a template for a "Glenelg sacks coach" story. :lol:

https://drawception.com/pub/panels/2012/4-20/5aXpg294Bf-2.png
by JK
Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I wish we had someone at our club like that, that didn't bend over for the AFL clubs.

His name is Pseudo
by JK
Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: EPL Season 2014/2015

I'll go:

Chelsea
Man City
Arsenal
Man U
Everton
Liverpool
Tottenham

Yes I'm pessimistic and hope I'm wrong!!
by JK
Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What a crock of $hit.
Yet previously KY has stated that 'we don't want any advantages that other clubs don't have as that would only take away from our achievements'
And now he's happy to drum up the hoards with their glorious achievements done against all the odds.
What a fu€kwit.

Smart governance though, most Port fans will lap up success at any level and believe every word they're told by KT and DK. They won't believe or acknowledge any advantages they've had if they're successful.
by JK
Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 Recruits- Hits,Misses and undecided

based on potential, and the fact that he hasnt really recovered from his ACL yet, i think he will be 600k+ to sign.

wouldnt say he has 100% proved himself yet, but he is only 24, and his upside is as good as any young key forward in the comp (besides probably cameron)

doubts about his knee would stop the really high offers, but besides cameron he would be the best U24 key forward going around. daniher looks right up there too.

it probably helps a lot that he was a crows fan as a kid.

Fair assessment on every front I reckon mate, although you wouldnt be surprised if a St Kilda, Bulldogs, Melbourne or Brisbane made an over the top offer. (but I'd think it unlikely a country boy like Tex would move if he get a close enough offer from the AFC).
by JK
Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't think there were any Crows supporters to be bagged on Saturday lol .. I counted 3 - A bloke with his lad and 2 ladies ordering Champagne on the Hill (first time I've seen that in about 15 years of watching footy from up there) who's entire conversation was spent trying to work out which quarter it was :lol:

TBH Ive heard the odd story of some abuse that sounds OTT, but I personally haven't seen any supporters abused .. No doubt some lines have been crossed, but I think some Crows supporters are overreacting because they've become used to (or dont know any different) going to the footy and having %90 of the supporters there.
by JK
Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

Well those 'bandwagoners' must have dropped off because there were about 3 Crows supporters at the last match at the Bay.

And the Parade last Saturday. In fact I think from the expected 8,000 at Norwood's 2 games v the Crows, we came up around 2,000+ short (I haven't verified those figures, Im waiting on a response from Mr Burtenshaw)
by JK
Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: League Cup

Lol anyone read about the Man U supporting chick that used a £2.50 free bet to back Man U to win 4-0 but accidentally put it on MK 4-0 for a collect of £1,250
by JK
Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

One of the blokes on Fox Footy was bang on right about Pittard last night.

I know he is much maligned among many Port supporters, but imho it's because he has the most difficult role, the one that involves the most risk .. He has the responsibility for taking the risk kicks, that can make or break a play for Port.

In a team with plenty of stars it's often easy to make him the fall guy, but when he's on he creates so much .. When he's off, the turnovers can come out, but thats the style of play his coach wants.

Reckon he is undervalued by many.
by JK
Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Unfortunately I can see some sad times ahead for the SANFL, Gilligan again stated yesterday that he is keen to look at a midseason draft by 2016, the AFL clubs could possibly raid the state leagues for talent and we have the scenerio where a team near the top of the SANFL ladder midseason suddenly loses players to the AFL, what a joke.
Even worse would be if the Crows or Port pick them up and we have a situation where the player plays against his old club in the same season

Don't be selfish. If this gets more players into the afl, the ultimate goal of almost every young player playing in the sanfl, this is pretty obviously a good thing for those players. Clubs cannot be selfish and they need to realise that they are not the final desired destination for most players

This isn't the 80s anymore where they were just poaching players. The sanfl is a stepping stone, whether you like it or not.

Selfish? Are you all there?

You're happy to put a handful of players ahead of an entire competition, and you refer to other people as being selfish?

As Jim said, of course any league outside of the AFL is a stepping stone, and at Norwood we have long promoted our players having careers at the highest level they can get to, as I would imagine most SANFL clubs do. But mid-season player losses has the capacity to remove the only remaining skerrick of integrity remaining in the competition. All so that the AFL can keep their player list costs down.
by JK
Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Financial Status Of SANFL Clubs 2014.

Geez this discussion has run further than I expected. In recent years (and I would guess forever) Norwood has transferred funds between different entities to deceive/confuse everyday supporters to doctor a perception among them. IMHO all clubs would do it, but there's no way I could say for certain because I have NFI what other clubs do.

Mate I have no idea if you are taking the piss or being serious. But you have posted a lot of sensible posts on here and seem to be a good bloke. If you are serious why would you support a club that would behave in such a corrupt fashion?

You don't chose who ya love mate. I've had plenty of issues with the way our club has been run over the years, and spoken up on all of them. But at the end of the day they're still the club I've been following since I was 6 years old. Far from perfect, but mine.
by JK
Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Qualifying Final - Norwood v Sturt @ AO (Sat T 30/8)

One for the ages that game, not. Sturt found the vacant spaces and looked to dominate centre clearances, but Norwood were saved by their rock solid defence and perhaps slightly better ball use at crucial times. That said, both teams had their chances to win it imho. Couldn't fault the committment or effort from both sets of players today.
by JK
Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Finals - week #1

Port being clever here. They've effectively modelled a big game that will now resemble Magpies v Bays and we all know how they end up
by JK
Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 Rising Star - Lewis Taylor Brisbane Lions

Luke McDonald was robbed. Kept his spot all year and played well in a team that made finals, while the other 6 of the top 7 played for dud teams where of course they would stand out.

The other 6 might have played better with better players around them?

No disrespect to the kids, but I don't think this award means that much, certainly won't dictate the status or $ contracts they reach by the end of their careers.
by JK
Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1st Semi Final - Sturt v South @ Adelaide Oval (Sat 6/9)

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:overtime wouldn't work well for channel 7

SANFL will probably change the rule to whichever side wins the next hit out, wins the game ;)
by JK
Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Caught about 20 minutes of AA tonight and they interviewed Tommy Jonas. Conversation went something like:

Rowe: "Big weekend for you, you smashed Richmond, Norwood beat Port and ROCS beat (someone can't remember who)"

TJ: "yeah although would have been better if the Maggie's had got up"

(Then went on to talk about how awesome it was to wear the prison bar guernsey)

Understand he is a Port man now, but nearly threw up listening to it.
by JK
Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: End of Season Delistings

Mitch Clarke reportedly met with Mitch Clarke today, trade involving Stanton going the other way. Clarke's partner is studying in Melbourne and he is looking at moving over there.
Saints are also in the mix

He met with himself??

Guess he only had to buy one coffee ;)
Lol, sorry met with Hird

When he left he'd added 2" to his biceps, dropped %3 body fat and ran home in a PB time
by JK
Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Meanwhile in the VFL, AFL listed player qualification rules are being ignored to allow Ben McEvoy to play for Box Hill in the prim final against Williamstown.
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-08/mcevoys-vfl-selection-saga.mobileapp

Meanwhile in WA East Perth waltz straight into the GF.
The disdain that state leagues are being treated with by the AFL and it's franchises is disgraceful.

Patrick Smith and Kevin Bartlett brought this up on SEN this morning, and I thought "oh here we go", they'll defend the decision as Rowe and McDermott would. To my surprise, thankfully they both condemned it as outrageous and being a no-brainer that if a player hasn't qualified then it's bad luck! They weren't happy with the prospect of decisions like this cheapening the value of another competition.
by JK
Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Williamstown have appealed the decision, but the VFL have knocked it back so McKevoy is free the play for Box Hill despite not having qualified. Disgrace.
by JK
Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great interview on SEN just now with the President of Williamstown. I'll see if they put up the audio.
Basically said that the decision was done behind closed doors between Hawthorn, Box Hill, VFL and AFL Victoria with no consultation with Williamstown.
He also said that during the season all VFL club Presidents, bar Bendigo, met and agreed that all rules surrounding AFL players' eligibility for VFL finals would be strictly adhered to.

And thats how footy is run these days across the board. Its ******!!
by JK
Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Booney wrote:
JK wrote:
Booney wrote:So, in essence, the SANFL is giving the AFC ( at an estimate ) $2m per year of free rent.

I look forward to the constant references to these monies.

Might have been a $ component in the sale of license? (Can you ring Leigh and check for me, thanks mate ;) )

:)]

Is that a Tredders emoticon?
by JK
Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Finals - week # 2.

Ollie Wines, what a ripper young player
by JK
Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Finals - week # 2.

Wingard take a bow, awesome!!
by JK
Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

Poem I read today:

Roses are Red,
Violets are glorious,
Don't ever sneak up,
on Oscar Pistorious.
by JK
Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best Dog Rolls in Adelaide???

Mate that sounds like a seriously traumatic experience .. No place for kennels like that in society!!
by JK
Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Finals - week # 3.

:(

Well played Hawthorn- didnt take our opportunities when presented to us. Particularly that 1st quarter.

Seriously proud of my club though. What an amazing turnaround from basket case to a kick away from a grand final.

A lot of work ahead to take those 2 extra steps. Cant wait for trade period and the eagerly awaited round 1 clash.

Onto cricket- carn the aussies haha!

As for next week- heart says Hawthorn for the wife, head says Sydney. Promises to be a cracker. At least we can all say that the best 2 teams will clash on the final saturday in september. The final 8 system has again proven that the top 4 is the ticket to the GF. Something we need to ensure we achieve in 2015 to give us the best possible chance.

Well said Valleys and bad luck tonight. Showed you were more than capable of creating the opportunities, just didn't capitalize on enough of them. You are rightfully very proud of your team/club.

As for next week, the Hawks didn't show enough tonight to suggest they would beat the Swans next week. They looked slow and old, but perhaps a little bit calmer and more efficient, an advantage you wouldn't think they'd have against the Swans. That said, I think the Hawks would know now they won't get away with that again so should produce close to their best, meaning they'd be a chance next week.

Port missing the top 4 when they probably shouldn't have, imho, was always going to hurt them. I think the whole football world knows their best is good enough to beat anyone.
by JK
Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 SANFL GRAND FINAL NORWOOD V PA RESERVES

For all the reserves debate, it certainly felt like a Norwood v Port Grand Final to me yesterday. Two proud clubs that desperately wanted to win and gave their all. Thought we were gone at halftime and would be overrun by Port's superior fitness, but we've developed such a strong bond and belief among the players in recent years, that they can will themselves to the line. Port were super brave (as were we), and I feel for their players especially a class act like Summerton who was clearly gutted.
Thought Ports defence played really well given the number of times we kept getting it inside 50 (particularly in the last), and their transition play was lethal. Thankfully for us our back half is so strong and were able to keep their forwards mostly quiet. Seen some epic finals and grand finals between these two clubs, glad yesterday it was our turn to be on the right end because it could easily have been the other way around.
by JK
Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 AFL Grand Final - Hawthorn v Sydney

A bit off topic, but loving all the interviews/segments Ive heard with Johnno Brown this week, what a champion bloke
by JK
Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sanderson sacked

How many big name senior coaches are there, and that are available?
Eade?

I don't rate him a big name coach, never have
Sheedy?

Past it. I don't get this whole "need an experienced coach" thing .. Sure. If you can get a coach with successful experience (Clarkson, Longmire, Roos) all clubs would, but you also want a coach up with modern processes and practices. No point getting an old previously successful coach or a modern unsuccessful coach (imho).
by JK
Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: General tv discussion thread - good, bad, axings etc etc

Can't believe Ray Donovan has only 3 ep's left already!!

Like all good series, time flies once they get back into action.
by JK
Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: End of season movements. FA, trades, bullshit etc.

Brodlach wrote:
dedja wrote:Christensen? ... personal reasons?

He said something like it is not the club but the actual town of Geelong that he is having problems with.

Having trouble keeping the Pee-Pee in the Tee-Pee?
by JK
Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 Media Poll CLOSES 9PM TONIGHT vote safooty.net

Wedgie wrote:A big thank you to everyone that voted for us, safooty won the SANFL Media Poll Fans Favourite News Website award. :)

:partyman: :partyman: :partyman: :partyman:
by JK
Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Horse Racing Tips & Discussion

stampy wrote:francesca cumani what a stunner!

Eyes off my missus mate
by JK
Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Brendan McCartney quits as Bulldogs coach

I get where you're coming from mate, but I wouldn't have thought the culture at Port and The Bulldogs were comparable.

McCartneys lack of playing at the highest level is irrelevant imho as it was also the case when the club appointed him. The Dogs have a good contingent of quality young cattle and I think they had an opportunity to set a message of what their club is all about (or aspire for it to be) to these youngsters, but instead chose a path that better suited the older blokes, all of whom have had their chances to take the club somewhere but are never going to.

For me this isn't so much about whoever was sitting in the coaches chair .. McCartney might not have been the long term saviour, but I would have stuck by him here to send the right message. If he wasn't deemed good enough in a year or twos time then he could be set free on the clubs terms, not those of disgruntled players.
by JK
Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Norwood & the salary cap

stan wrote:Had a shit coffee with an un named board member from an un named team in which he told me he is the batman.

If he's one of ours he would be breaking the salary cape
by JK
Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I need to know....

I'm after one...count it...ONE timber slat for a queen size bed.

I thought people might be getting rid of shiteloads of them on Gumtree. Not a single one.

Don't really want to go to Bunnings to have one cut up either.

any ideas?

So, how did you break the slat?

;))

*Raises hand*

Broke two, doing exactly that. Couldn't wait to tell my mates. :D

( Insert picture of Rocky at the top of the stairs here )

Imagine how many you might have broken if you weren't on your own :shock:
by JK
Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: End of season movements. FA, trades, bullshit etc.

valleys07 wrote:I'm not confident in securing Ryder anymore.

I think we should turn all our attention to getting Gorringe across the line before the day is out.

You'll get Ryder I reckon mate
by JK
Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Norwood & the salary cap

smac wrote:Alex Georgiou is Tripodi constructions' new head of using the internet, apparently.

Well that's gotta leave the Dees in a hole
by JK
Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How awesome was the Manikato!!!
by JK
Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's not often you say this but, wow, how awesome is Adelaide!!
by JK
Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NAFC major sponsor

stan wrote:
DOC wrote:Do you mean Fairmont Homes?

I think Fairmont Homes are doing better than moat builders at the moment. I would be surprised if they were in trouble.

You'd hope so, I'm not sure moats are in vogue these days
by JK
Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Why should we cater for them?
We are the Premiers, should be looking after our fans first and foremost
So you'd rather have say 6k at a 3pm game at your club's home ground than say 10k at a 2pm game for the sake of looking after your own? I hope you're not on the NFC board.
Yep, sick of being dictated to by the AFL and the two Reserve sides. Its bad enough our season was shortened and the GF moved dates. Its about time the SANFL stopped bowing down to them and make their own decisions. Play the game at the regular timeslot. As for the crowd, It wouldnt bother me if Crows or Port fans never attended SANFL games, personally I dont want them there
Sounds like something Hitler said about 75 years ago

Yep, even in Germany they hate Port and Crow fans
by JK
Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |