Search found 277 matches

Return

Re: AFL Preliminary Finals

Just hoping the ol' ticker makes it through next Saturday. Last night, I think my heart raced harder during that last quarter than Phar Lap did not long before our last premiership! ;)
by bulldogproud
Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: GRAND FINAL SYDNEY VS WESTERN BULLDOGS

Thanks, being a 'shortie' I will try to get there early. However, I am just stoked to score a ticket and see the boys in their first GF since '54. Feeling like '95 with CDFC.! Hoping for a different result though! ;)
If you have a seat you don't need to get there early mate, I was talking about the standing area.

Good point, I think I am finding it hard to realise it is likely to be a seat - thought I would be only a chance for Standing Room.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks, being a 'shortie' I will try to get there early. However, I am just stoked to score a ticket and see the boys in their first GF since '61. Feeling like '95 with CDFC.! Hoping for a different result though! ;)
by bulldogproud
Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hi guys, have decided to take the plunge and go along to the GF. However, if there is anyone who would be willing to swap a seated ticket for my standing room one, I am very happy to pay the difference plus a fair margin.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hi guys, have decided to take the plunge and go along to the GF. However, if there is anyone who would be willing to swap a seated ticket for my standing room one, I am very happy to pay the difference plus a fair margin. Hoping it is okay for me to say that on here!
Cheers

Hi mate,

Check out BigFooty via this link: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/grand-final-tickets-official-bulldogs-bigfooty-buy-swap-sell-thread-please-read-and-post-in-this.1146759/

There is an entire thread dedicated to buying/swapping or selling of GF tickets in the WB board.

Create an account (if you haven't got one already) and you might find someone in there willing to swap.

Great to hear you have made the decision to go. Having never been to a GF, I would give almost anything to be in your shoes this weekend, watching my team play off for the flag.

Enjoy, and good luck with the swap.

Valleys.
Thanks for that, and to all here for the help and advice you have given me, truly appreciated.
Cheers
Doggies Premiership at the 'G, here we come!!
by bulldogproud
Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

BoundaryRider84 wrote:Ali Aliir ruled out, fell heartbroken for the young man

Agreed, he was the one Swan I was hoping would play well. The mountains he has overcome to get this far, really feel for the young man.
by bulldogproud
Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hi guys, have decided to take the plunge and go along to the GF. However, if there is anyone who would be willing to swap a seated ticket for my standing room one, I am very happy to pay the difference plus a fair margin. Hoping it is okay for me to say that on here!
Cheers

Hi mate,

Check out BigFooty via this link: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/grand-final-tickets-official-bulldogs-bigfooty-buy-swap-sell-thread-please-read-and-post-in-this.1146759/

There is an entire thread dedicated to buying/swapping or selling of GF tickets in the WB board.

Create an account (if you haven't got one already) and you might find someone in there willing to swap.

Great to hear you have made the decision to go. Having never been to a GF, I would give almost anything to be in your shoes this weekend, watching my team play off for the flag.

Enjoy, and good luck with the swap.

Valleys.
Thanks for that, and to all here for the help and advice you have given me, truly appreciated.
Cheers
Doggies Premiership at the 'G, here we come!!

I've had limited interaction with you on here but that has made my day, I'm so happy for you to be able to go along, have a great weekend mate, enjoy the moment when you see your team running out on the ground and you get that chill up your spine thinking to yourself "How good is life".

Thanks so much for that, LM and Valleys. Will be a great day no matter what! Even if I was to get to the ground and give my ticket to one of the lifelong Doggie supporters who missed out in the ballot, the atmosphere of the day would be worth it!
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank those who encouraged me to go across to the GF. It was a truly amazing experience. They apparently have reduced the amount of people they allocate into each of the Standing Room areas, resulting in the view being fine. The camaraderie of the 'Sons of the West' I was with was wonderful. We became instant friends with one another. They would save your spot if you needed to go anywhere, allow you to part the 'Red White and Blue' sea to easily get back to your spot and, on the couple of occasions I stumbled, helped ensure I did not fall fully to the ground. Standing room actually ended up being really good as we were constantly hugging, high-fiving and 'praying' with one another for the miracle to occur. So much Bulldog love was present everywhere! A day I will never forget, one worth the 62 year wait! My only problem was getting the flu on my return to Adelaide, resulting in me being house-bound for a while. A very small price I will happily pay for being at the 'G on the day we finally captured the Holy Grail! Overall feeling: Nirvana!!
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Country Count

Old post, but starting to get excited about travelling again so ill revive it

Malaysia
Singapore
England x2
Scotland
France
Monaco
Spain
Italy
Vatican City
Switzerland
Germany x2
Czech Republic
Netherlands
Japan (in a couple of weeks)

Thought I was going ok but not after reading some of the other posts, i still have a fair way to go.

In terms of seeing more of australia - I figure i can do that when i am older. I am planning on buying a caravan and just travelling for a year or two when i retire :D

Have a great trip to Japan, Benny. Loved it there a few years back, but did not make it to Kyoto - still on bucket list.

For me, number of countries would be somewhere in the 30's I think - 12 cruises in the past four years have helped!! Third cruise to NZ coming up in January, then Alaska in July. Still want to see more of Europe and do a Russia river cruise.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grade Cricket

Port clean sweep Woodville with not 1 of the chasing teams avoiding the follow on totals.

Good thing that WDCC are safe with results like that

A possible case of Karma after Woodville 'massaged' the draw so that their bye would be a 1-day game in Round One rather than in Round Two as it would have been under original SACA programming?
by bulldogproud
Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Player movement 2017

Still being negotiated, but a chance Johnny Butcher may end up at the Ponderosa.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Class War - them versus us

Despite being an avid follower of politics, I rarely venture on to this board. But events over the past few years has seen a fundamental shift of the political landscape of this country. In the past it was 'Labor' verses 'Liberal' with both parties having identifiable strengths and weaknesses. If it's Blue then it's responsible economic management. If it was red it was for the working man. Simplistic perhaps but a core identifiable branding of our major political parties.

I would suggest that Black (i.e. Fascist) has become the new Blue. The LNP are coming after us make no mistake. They don't care if you vote Liberal, Labor, Green or if you are one of those Orange nutters. They want our money. They stand for nothing other than re-election and the feathering of the nests of the elite of this country. In the past swinging voters would have (reasonably accurately) said that they were 'as bad as each other'.

The Black party are following Neo-Liberal policies which are underpinned by the fraudulent economic theory of trickle down economics. They've been trying that shit in America since the Reagan era and this had led to an ever increasing gap between rich and poor. It' s coming soon to a city near you. In the past some rich people manufactured things. They employed people and those people purchased their product. When this is the economic model the rich are getting rich through the efforts of the people who work for them. For the middle class, they earnt wages and were thus participating in the economy. A mass participation in the economy generally leads to better infrastructure, health, education of the nation because more people are paying tax. Middle to lower class people spend their money.

Then the elite (the plutocracy) figured, 'how can we get richer?'. The result of this question was deregulated banking, downsizing, globalisation and privitisation. If you can make a bigger profit by investing off shore than employing people all of a sudden you don't need people to be working for you, the rich no longer have a stake in us working. For the workers what it comes down to is that due to globalisation and downsizing in particular, we are now working in competition with each other. We are no longer working for a greater good of the organisation, we are watching our own arse. Employers then started on the working conditions and aren't that keen on collective bargaining. All of a sudden the working man is afraid, in a precarious financial situation. The term for this the 'Precariat', or proletariat in a precarious position.

Fear is the key. Fear is the key that develops compassion fatigue. They aren't coming after me so it's ok. Fear is the key to how the elite can get people to vote against what is essentially in their best interests. REFUGEES REFUGEES MUSLIMS TERROR WAR!! If you don't want Refugees don't bomb their countries. Have a look at what we are up to overseas. Not only are we bombing Syria we also allies with genocidal states such as Indonesia as well as Saudi Arabia and the Criminal state of Israel. I always thought we were the good guys but these days I'm not so sure. So we pick up the paper and it's right wing nonsense. Rupert Murdoch handpicked our government and our 'leaders' have been slavishly adhering to his doctrine for many years. Why is this relevant to the class war? Because why else would Bogans vote for a party that attacks welfare and social services? What's in it for them...that's right we stopped the boats.

So keep watching as the Black party undermines the social welfare net while they provide corporate welfare. Keep watching while they divest in education...uneducated people can more easily be persuaded to vote against their own interests, provided Rupert points out their enemies for them. Keep watching as our human rights reputation is dissolved, they are tying to make refugees illegal now...if we are going to stand alone against something make it against Corporate Government and not against desperate people who are looking for a better life. Keep watching while the Black party destroys the environment because dirty fuel helped get them elected. Keep watching until every shit idea the United States has ever had comes to our shores...how soon before we have privitised prisons where criminals are suddenly in demand and can raise a profit?

The Black party won't stop until the middle class is destroyed, then they will come after the upper middle class. Eventually only the elite will remain and we will all be wondering what happened to the lucky country. We've let bigotry and racism blind us to the fact that the Black party have robbed us blind. Can anyone name a single positive thing that the Black party has done? The LNP are nothing but traitors to our country. Selling us out so the very few have feathered nests and we all get covered in bird shit. Democracy has been destroyed and been traded in for an Oligarchy. Theocracy has replaced good government. We have a government that consistently undermines and targets those most vulnerable, but it's ok because it's not us and we are the lesser nation because of it.

regards,

REB

Dear Reb,

I could not have said this better (or even a quarter as good!!). It was like you were reading my mind whilst you were writing this, and then improving on the quality of the material in it. Perhaps the only aspect I would challenge is 'theocracy has replaced good government'. However, given the way Bernardi, Christensen and others 'hijack' religion for their own propaganda, I am not sure I should really even challenge it.
Cheers and very well done, comrade!!

P.S. Have you ever thought of running for political office? You would have my vote if you did! A party formed by Gozu, Q, Bennymacca and you would be unreal! Although I disagree with some of their viewpoints, Psyber and Jimmy should also consider running.
by bulldogproud
Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: US

I'm thinking Trump will be fine as a President.. sometimes i think the media just love to beat up on people and paint a negative picture - i thought he would be a disaster at first, especially when you hear/see snippets of comments that the media chooses to play, but i sat and watched the debates in full yesterday and it's not that i like Trump so much as Hilary put me off.. reckon she's a fair snake in the grass..

Zartan, by chance would you happen to be a white anglo-saxon/European male, aged over 40, and not of a minority religion? In the debates, Trump did enough to infuriate anyone who belonged to any other group.

We have to be quick not to condemn US citizens too quickly though. Trump was voted for by less than 19% of the US population. Over 81% of Americans did not vote for him. This is why compulsory voting really needs to occur in all societies.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: US

Id still like him to go after the Clintons....

I don't think he would get far if he did. After all, searches of hundreds of thousands of emails have found absolutely nothing criminal about her behaviour. What she did was akin to one of us accessing our work emails through our personal computer or our phone. I am pretty sure most of us have done this at one stage or another.
Yes, in her position, it is rather careless and should not have been done... however, definitely not criminal.
If Hillary Clinton should be in jail for this, then so should every member of the LNP. It was revealed earlier this year that all parliamentary members of the LNP access their government records through their private servers.

Compare these actions against the fact that Trump has been the defendant in over 1 000 civil cases, many of which have been in relation to fraud, almost all of which he settled out of court.

Cheers
by bulldogproud
Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You b****** beauty!!!!!
Even sweeter than the Western Bulldogs flag!
Congrats to an amazing and wonderful bunch of guys!! From SuperCoach Mark Harrity to the littlest guy in the Under 13's, this club rocks!! To have SACA tell us where to go, to our first silverware in a decade, this is a sweet one. All the best to Dom Bess on his flight home to England: wins a flag and then has to be at the airport two hours later!!
Still possibly two more flags to come, but even if it is just this one we taste, I am a happy man!
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Interesting that 3 of the bottom 4 in the club championship are the ones being talked about merging etc.

Im sure it would have been difficult at those 3 clubs all year to keep players focused with this hanging over their heads. Players not knowing if this is their last season, last training night, or last game. Off field resources I am sure would also have been stretched to breaking point at those 3 clubs, as they focused all their energies on the presentations to the SACA and just keeping their clubs going into next season. Hardly a good environment to play cricket, I wouldn't have thought for any of those 3 clubs. Blame the cretins at the SACA for letting the name of the 3 clubs out mid season.

Oh, how the wheels have turned in 12 months!!! Well done to the mighty Eags on their second premiership in a week!! Well done to all the boys, from President Rocca and Chairman Jonesy right down through the club, for hanging in there when the easy thing to do would have been to leave a club that had had a potential 'death sentence' given to it. Success was never more deserved nor did it ever taste sweeter!!
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well, the 2016/17 Grade Cricket season has now ended.
In what could very well be described as the season in which the Eagles 'rose from the ashes like a phoenix', the season ended with West Torrens managing the very first threepeat or triple crown of 20/20, One Day and Two Day premierships.

In the two-day Grand Final, although Kensington fought the game out well, they were outplayed in all areas by the Eagles. West Torrens had five batsman make 22 or more (David Hookes and C.W. Walker winner Leigh Drennan 104, Bailey Capel 55, Kelvin Smith 45, Pat Fisher 28 and Ben Williams 22). in contrast, only Alex Ross (who made a magnificent 97not out in a lone-hand display) managed to make 20. The gallant Kensington bowlers were let down somewhat by their fielders, with 5 catches being dropped, most from top-order West Torrens batsmen. Having said that, Kensington's ground fielding was impressive, just that catches could not be held. Alternatively, West Torrens' catching was brilliant, with all chances being captured, including a number of brilliant catches in the slips cordon. West Torrens proved once again to have one of, if not the, best attacks in Grade Cricket with Trent Kelly 4/45, Ben Williams 3/33 and Braedon Renshaw 2/39 the chief wicket-takers. Braedon was extremely impressive early, capturing the two Kensington openers. The effort of Trent Kelly should certainly be applauded, nearly backing up his 5 wicket match-winning performance in the Grand Final exactly 10 years earlier. Although wicketless in the innings, Spencer Johnson and Logan Pastyn also bowled beautifully, whilst it was very fitting that Bradman medallist Daniel Drew took the final wicket, caught by Charlie Walker and David Hookes medallist Leigh Drennan.

In closing, perhaps a comment that could be made, following the SACA stance taken 18 months ago, could be:

'Sure, kick us out, SACA, but do you mind if we take all your silverware with us as we go out the door?'

Cheers
by bulldogproud
Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

any truth to the rumor that Miller is leaving Prospect for Glandore?

If happening, hope the Buffs have deep pockets, big asking price is what I am hearing :-k

Not just player movement either, expect a few coaching changes across the board!

On the subject of coaches, a bit of an obvious one here, but Mark Harrity has been re-contracted for 2017/18 by West Torrens.
He pretty much has the job for as long as he likes... brilliant coach and communicator who bleeds for the club and the boys.
by bulldogproud
Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bali/Phuket

Not actually Bali or Phuket, but a place potentially as good as either... am off to Boracay in the Philippines next Saturday. It is the home of White Beach, one of, if not the, world's best beaches (it has won the title a number of times). Those in the know say it is at least the equal of both Bali and Phuket.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your poison of choice?

if you dont mind me asking, what sort of health condition means you should drink more, and where can i get me one of those?

Diabetes - on becoming diabetic, I began drinking 'sugar-free' drinks like Pepsi Max, Coke Zero etc. My endoncrinologist said that he would prefer I drink low-carb beer and/or cider rather than those.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Would any SANFL team consider 'John Butcher' next year?

I am very happy we picked up Butch. He has proven to be an asset and, if our delivery to him had been better, would probably be averaging four goals a match. He competes extremely well and is well-liked by pretty much everyone at the club.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Central District coach Roy Laird to coach again in 2018

I personally think it is great news. Yes, this year may not have been a successful one for the club. However, in Roy's 14 years of coaching we have only missed the finals on one occasion. The current playing list is very young and, given the vast majority stay together next year, there should be successful times ahead.
This year's performance has really come down to three bad quarters of football:
Giving up a 40 point lead against Norwood
Giving up a 29 point lead against Glenelg
Giving up a 21 point lead against North.

Take those three shocking quarters away and we would be sitting safely in the five.

Cheers
by bulldogproud
Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Now it's going to be a postal vote that won't count.

Jimmy's right, the plebiscite was liberal policy at the last election, so fair enough that as the party in power they sought to implement it. The reason its not going ahead is the senate, and the reason that's a cluster **** is Turnbull made a miscalculation and called the election at the wrong time. With a majority in both houses, and bada-bing, you get your plebiscite (for better or worse).

The ridiculous thing, though, is that the plebiscite is TOTALLY meaningless. Politicians will still have to vote on it to make it law. Many have said they are going to disregard the results of the plebiscite when they do have this vote. Abbott will vote NO even if 99.9999999% vote Yes in the plebiscite. The same goes for many, many conservatives (Bernardi, Christensen and Abetz have all stated they are going to ignore the plebiscite when they vote). Thus, why waste $122 million on a plebiscite which is going to be disregarded????
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Central District coach Roy Laird to coach again in 2018

I don't think there are many coaches out there who can rival his record of having his team make the finals in 13 of his 14 seasons coaching. This is despite being at a club with limited junior ranks and less money spent on recruits than most clubs. He certainly gets the most out of his players.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2017 Predictions for SANFL Premiers

I still cant believe the $15 the bookies are offering for the Dogs, ive been back a couple times now for a piece of that.
Butcher and Glen are massive ins together with alot of youing players on the rise
Closer to the spoon than a Premiership. Everyone had the Dogs as making finals but things just havnt clicked and their season is over with 4 games to go.
For me they have been the most disappointing side in the comp this year

Hoping we can be disappointing to you for one more week ;) Not confident, but praying :D
by bulldogproud
Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2017 Predictions for SANFL Premiers

I still cant believe the $15 the bookies are offering for the Dogs, ive been back a couple times now for a piece of that.
Butcher and Glen are massive ins together with alot of youing players on the rise
Closer to the spoon than a Premiership. Everyone had the Dogs as making finals but things just havnt clicked and their season is over with 4 games to go.
For me they have been the most disappointing side in the comp this year

Sorry for being the most disappointing side in the comp and adding to that disappointing feeling for you ;)
by bulldogproud
Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Finals Week 1

Thank you, I think LK. At least the game wasn't close which I asked for and I did tip a Richmond win due to home ground advantage, I'm actually much better emotionally than I was 12 months ago.
I've had 3 family members and close friends die this week and didn't expect any less than Crows supporters kicking me despite me going to more games than they do at AO.
Prayers and thoughts are with you, Wedgie. So sorry to hear of those losses.
by bulldogproud
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Finals Week 2

If the Eagles had their current form earlier in the year, North would have avoided the spoon
by bulldogproud
Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Where/when did he say this?

Prior to the match, in a conversation with my brother-in-law, an ardent Power and Magpies supporter and member.
Overall, I believe you will find that the Power squad members regard themselves as Power players, not Magpie players. They would much rather be playing for the Power than the Magpies. In the same situation, wouldn't you?

The absolute absurdity of it is that Magpie players (players actually contracted by the Magpies) have to make way for Power squad members during the season. The Magpies CAPTAIN is NOT EVEN ALLOWED to play for the Magpies if there are 21 Power squad members available. Thus, all I am saying is that call it what it is: the Power Reserves team, not the Magpies. I am not saying at all that Power squad members should not be allowed to play. I am just saying, call it as it is.

Cheers
by bulldogproud
Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: INS and OUTS for 2018

This is a surprise:

Seven-time Bulldogs premiership coach Laird said he was hopeful Mahoney would add to Central District’s midfield depth this year.

The Bulldogs finished fourth last season after reaching a semi-final.

“I haven’t seen vision of Brody, but reports are around his ball-winning ability and he’s competitive and a good tackler,” Laird said.

Apparently, another recruit (unnamed but from Williamstown) had glowing things to say about Mahoney that piqued Roy's interest.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

its on his website that he wants to reduce maximum bets to $1 and $120 an hour.

Targeted gambling reform is required. We have the world’s highest per capita gambling losses and level of problem gambling. Our governments are totally out-of-touch with the overwhelming community desire to rein in the damage caused.

Examples of what needs to be done:

With pokies being the biggest cause of problem gambling, the immediate implementation of the Productivity Commission’s recommendation for $1 maximum bets per spin and $120 in hourly losses (compared to $10 per spin and $1200 an hour) is required
Challenge the major parties to conduct a referendum on implementing $1 maximum bet reforms.
Ensure the Productivity Commission regularly updates its gambling research
End micro-betting on sports events, which can lead to corruption and match fixing in sports
Remove ATMs from venues with poker machines
Reinstate ban on EFTPOS access in SA poker machine rooms
Overhaul outdated online gambling laws, to take into account the impact of emerging technologies
End sports betting ads during games
The Commonwealth needs to develop an approach to wean state governments off their $5billion a year of gambling taxes

Those measures will only do a little though to target the addicts though. They will sit at a machine for hour after hour after hour. Limiting losses to $120 an hour will still see them go through many hundreds of dollars a session.
Also, most addicts will play 50 lines on a 1 cent machine at a time (thus, already being below the $1 bet level).
Removing ATMs will just mean that the addict will drive his car from one pub to the next, visiting an ATM along the way. Similarly, the EFTPOS proposal won't do much at all to addicts either.
The best solution, one which Nick won't listen to as he doesn't want to see govt revenue from pokie machines drop by much is to get rid of the 'Free Games' Feature and limit the lines to a maximum of 5. This will have the most impact on those who play machines for hour after hour after hour. These are the ones with the mental health issues, the ones who really need the help.
Cheers,

Im not arguing that this method may also work - just with your original assertion that he never really wanted to ban or reduce pokies, which is clearly not true. Whether or not he agreed with your method for doing so is a different argument

Nick has said that his number one reason for going into politics was to assist 'problem gamblers'. Where I have a problem with Nick is that he has never ever suggested any policy that will really help these 'problem gamblers' or 'addicts' significantly.

The true 'problem gambler' is not a person who will bet $5 on one roll. Rather, they will play maximum lines on a lower-value machine (1c or 2c). Their goal for playing the machines is not so much to win money (as, deep down, addicts know that that is not going to happen), but to enjoy the 'psychological or sensory benefits' that come from the machine (the so-called bells and whistles). Will Nick's proposals have much impact on these? Let's have a look:

1. Reducing the amount that can be wagered on a single bet to $1. Impact: Nil
Pretty much all problem gamblers already wager under that amount. They will play the maximum amount of lines (commonly 50 on a lower value machine). This would equate to either 50c a wager or $1.00 a wager.

2. Removing ATMs from Pokie premises. Impact: At best, very limited.
A 'problem gambler' can walk into a pokie room with, say, $300 and still blow the lot without needing an ATM. This amount would give them quite a few hours play on low-value machines. The problem is that they will do this three or four times a week. Four times a week still equates to a loss of $62,400 a year!!
Also, if they want to lose more, they can easily go to an ATM outside the venue (pretty much one on every street corner nowadays).

3. Banning EFTPOS facilities: Same as (2), very limited impact.

4. Reducing the amount that can be lost per hour to $120. Impact: Marginal at best
Losing $120 an hour can still equate to the $300 a night very easily. Additionally, on the low-value machine, it is VERY hard to lose $120 an hour. Remember, this is LOSSES per hour, not wagers per hour.

5. Reducing the number of pokies per venue. Impact: Very little
Pokie machine venues are rarely completely full. Additionally, if one is, just travel 1km to the next venue. The size of reduction Nick is interested in would have very little impact.

Now, what does motivate 'problem gamblers'? It is a bit like 'Pavlov's Dog'. The constant reinforcement of what pokie machine players see as small 'wins' (which are actually still losses), accompanied by the music and images that tell them they are a winner act as 'stimuli' just like the bell that motivated Pavlov's dog. They will be motivated by these occurrences and their key aim is to spin up the 'free games' or 'feature'.

How do we reduce the 'Pavlov's Dog' effect? Reduce the stimuli.
Firstly, get rid of the major stimuli that keeps pokie players at the machine hour after hour: the 'free games' or 'feature'.
Secondly, greatly reduce the 'constant positive reinforcement stimuli' of the 'wins'. It goes without saying that if you reduce the number of lines from 50 down to 5 that the stimuli will only occur one-tenth as often. This lack of stimuli will 'bore' the players, taking their motivation away.

Nick has never really seemed to be interested in reducing the attraction for 'problem gamblers' and, yet, this was what he stated was his motivation for going into parliament. He, in fact, told me that my proposed measures would have 'TOO STRONG' an impact on problem gamblers and reduce hotel revenue and government taxation. He does not want to see this happen. Surely, though, this goes 100% against his stated reason for being in politics??? Is he really wanting to reduce 'problem gambling' or is he just using the issue to further his own cause?

I will let you be the judge of that.

Cheers
by bulldogproud
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Thanks for that, Bennymacca, Gozu et al. Am glad you were a winner, Bennymacca, although I have a feeling you are happier also when you are not playing. At least with online poker, you do have some degree of skill involved. Yes, I would definitely agree with my addiction to pokies as being part of escapism.
I have at least identified I have a problem, which is the first stage of kicking the addiction. Sadly, I still do play them a fair bit, except pretty much only when I am overtired (the worst time though, as it is when I mindlessly feed the machine too much!). I have probably lost over $100,000 over the twenty years or so the pokies have been available in Adelaide. The sheer magnitude of this has kicked in and sometimes prevents me from playing when I otherwise would have.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: INS and OUTS for 2018

Jim05 wrote:
southernbulldog wrote:Jim surely Norwood havent run out of brown paper bags

The club has never had any brown paper bags. If sponsors or wealthy members want to donate a gift however.........
[emoji3]

Last I heard, they were using white bags with 'Vili's' stamped on them.
by bulldogproud
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is this the worst ?

Have to take into account that the game is also against Sturt who, as a club, have a Royal English ancestry, Their ground is located around Cambridge and Oxford Terraces and their colours are based on the twin blues of these universities.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Wed May 16, 2018 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is this the worst ?

GMcG wrote:I suppose it's better than recruiting footy players with thuggish, drug-taking lifestyles, to attract a crowd. :D

Are you 'Josh'ing with us? :D
by bulldogproud
Wed May 16, 2018 2:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

The sporting weekend which I just had (the only way I can get through it is to laugh!):

My house at school, Campion, came fourth out of four, in House Performances
Both squash teams I looked after lost 4-0
Centrals were mercilessly squished
Western Bulldogs could not kick a goal after half-time
1st XV111 lost by 130 points
2nd XVIII lost by 60 points
Year 10’s lost by 157 points
My Badminton team lost 6-0
Liverpool lost the European League Final (thanks to two howlers)
Crows did a Centrals in Alice Springs
England were humbled by Pakistan (the seventh-ranked International side, whom even Ireland nearly beat!) On the upside 2 Australians won 2 of the 3 most prestigious motorsport events last night

Daniel Ricciardo - Monaco Grand Prix

Will Power - Indianapolis 500.

Thanks for rubbing it in - I am a Pom, so a Lewis Hamilton fan :(
by bulldogproud
Mon May 28, 2018 1:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Premiership 2018

Yep, looking like a Norwood versus Eagles GF for me, with Norwood winning.
Looking at their playing list, it is no surprise that Norwood are red-hot favourites. How they manage to have that much talent under the salary cap is phenomenal.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2018 Grand Final - Norwood v North Adelaide

New entertainer announced for the GF: Redgum will be singing I was only (the) 19th
by bulldogproud
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Jim05 wrote:Playing for the inaugural “Lack of Integrity Cup” with the BOG getting the prestigious “Joe Tripodi” medal.
:)

Vili's Pies will be given free of charge in special brown paper bags to all supporters - the ones that have also been being used for certain payments throughout the year.
by bulldogproud
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Worst. Grand. Final. Ever.

Can't even entertain the idea of supporting one of these sides on the day.

Go the umpires!

You've got to get on the Roosters here surely Boon. :lol:

regards,

REB

I respect Norwood, so they've got a small leg up there.

Sorry, I can't respect Norwood for two reasons:
1. They were the club that folded over, allowing the Ravens and Port Reserves in, thus killing off the integrity of the SANFL.
2. Their frequent breaching of salary cap regulations.

Whilst North did the wrong thing for 3 minutes and 39 seconds, Norwood have done it for years.

North for me in the GF!
by bulldogproud
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: INS and OUTS for 2019

Even during our glory years we never had more than 5 ex-AFL players in our squad; very different to the 14 Norwood miraculously fit under their (nonexistent) cap.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Central have signed former Glenelg and Adelaide University ruckman Damon Robinson, brother of one of my students.
Cheers.
by bulldogproud
Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

GMcG wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Doggies are being picked over

weird, finish bottom and still get raped.

Shows the calibre of some of our juniors (plus Darcy) coming through the system; positive signs for our future, considering the problems we had previously had in junior grades.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Central have signed former Glenelg and Adelaide University ruckman Damon Robinson, brother of one of my students.
Cheers.
Did he only play reserves?
Do any of the Glenelg supporters know much about him?

Aged 23, only reserves games so far but Damon was named on Glenelg's extended interchange late last season. Norwood were also having a look at him but he chose to come to the Ponderosa, for which i am glad.

Cheers
by bulldogproud
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

https://www.safc.com.au/blog/panthers-pounce-on-eagle-karpany

Hate seeing former players lining up against their original club when coming back from the AFL but that is the reality of the situation. With three ex-WWT players getting delisted from their AFL clubs in the same year it was always going to be difficult, if not impossible, to entice them all back to the club due to a lack of $$. Just bad timing.

Karpany will be a very good player for South so good luck to him.

Aside from West and Centrals (I think), it looks like the rest of the clubs have managed to sign an ex-AFL player who are all likely to make a reasonable impact next year. Its a good boost for the SANFL competition.

West did sign former Hawthorn player, Dallas Willsmore, 23 year old, 191 cm wingman/half back, played a few games for Hawthorn in 2017. Hopefully will make an impact on the competition

... and Central have signed Troy Menzel, so all clubs have a former AFL player newly signed for next season.
Cheers
P.S. More news to come from the Ponderosa.
by bulldogproud
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Club Financials

gazzamagoo wrote:
Brett wrote:Still need supporters and members as if you dont have those then you are gone. 3k members at an average say of $60 is 180k . I think most clubs would take that .

Centrals would be lucky to have 2,000 members.

We go for quality, not quantity :D
by bulldogproud
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2019 SANFL Season

gazzamagoo wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:With the contacts we now have at the Gold Coast, possibly one of their recent delistings: Clay Beames (but not that young) and Josh Jaska are possibilities.
Cheers

yes,
no & no.

Will have another stab at a former Gold Coast player then: Tim Sumner?

Cheers
by bulldogproud
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2019 SANFL Season

gazzamagoo wrote:BINGO.

I have to credit UKfan with having let me know, via another thread :D

Not sure what Timmy has been doing in the three years since he left the Suns, but welcome him with open arms to the Ponderosa and hope it feels like home to him for many seasons!

Cheers
by bulldogproud
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

At the end of the day he’s had discipline issues, behaviour issues & commitment issues at numerous clubs.
Leopards don’t change their spots.

A great coach can still get the best out of a player of this nature: some of Adam Goodes' early coaches said that he had all those issues, then along came Paul Roos.
Ben Cousins also gave a number of years of good service when with the right coach.
This could be the making of Roy as a truly great coach - if he isn't judged that already.

Cheers
by bulldogproud
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I am sure all these factors have been taken into account in his contract. I believe in redemption and am happy for Tim to receive this additional opportunity. If he stuffs up, he only has himself to blame. However, until then... thanks for choosing the Ponderosa, Timmy, and all the best at this great club!
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |