Search found 16 matches

Return

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 6 - 2015

How f#cking embarrassing for this football club and its players.

Your club evidently offers no value to its players, so they are only there for the cash. No cash no players.

Your players have absolute pea hearts and will only play when the going is good and easy.

I suspect both.

And the decision to reunite this combination = genius. Just oozes sustainability.[/quote]

Jetters you are very quick to jump down brahma and other clubs that maybe got it wrong in the pasted. How about giving everyone your solutions to fixing the problem. Maybe we could just fold and everyone move to the "successful" clubs [/quote]

Isnt that what happend last year? You blokes practically folded and all the players went to a more successful club (Salisbury West/Eastern Park)
Agree completley with Jetters!
by Burras
Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 3 - 2015

I hold the view it's about the kids rather than the Clubs. It should be about creating the best environment for children to play football rather than creating some kind of socialized environment to ensure some kind of equal arrangement amongst clubs

Of course it's about the kids.

If a parent 'knows' that one club will certainly have a team(s), but they are unsure whether the club down the road will, they will choose the club that they know will have a team and a spot for their child.

This becomes a self fulfilling cycle. They go to the bigger club not because they run a better program, but because it's a safer option.

More competition will force clubs to run better programs because they know if they don't players/parents will speak with their feet and move. If there's no/few other options big clubs can run mediocre programs to little of their own detriment.

Balance between allowing good programs to prosper and competition which will demand quality.

Jetters you are way off the mark here mate..

Why should a club like GG, who have spent the last 20 year building a "family" culture have to give up future senior players of the club becasue other clubs who are more senior driven have no juniors and start to whinge when they find themselves slipping down the grades.
by Burras
Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 3 - 2015

I dont' know what all the squabble is about, in the end GG couldn't have finished any higher anyway I don't think. I can understand feeling hard done by at the time but in the end it made not a ounce of difference.

I'm not sure who's sillier, Mighty hounds or you GG lot for biting

Play on.

Couldn't have finished any higher and are happy with where we sit considering a new side in the division.

Not once have we felt sorry for ourselves or hard done by.. as Burra Boys stated we were unaware of the rules but acknowledged that we broke them and copped the penalty, definitely not something we mention around the club.
by Burras
Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grade Cricket

Then that upsets the community cricket clubs who won't be able to field sides.....

No one wins in any situation here...
ATCA? Surely the better juniors would play district cricket and the community clubs would be where the district clubs would canvas their talent from.

All up I think whites is a waste of time, I've not met many kids that have been content in just playing whites, they usually return to just playing for their local club after a few games if they don't look like being considered for the reds.

I think there's a place for U14 whites as you need to harvest talent at the young age... If you let a 11,12 year old develop bad habits at a community club then they'll be stuck with that.

16 whites on the other hand is a waste of time. Clubs are playing kids who they know aren't good enough for district (premier) cricket but they need them to fill a team and avoid a fine for forfeiting.

the link between community and premier clubs needs to be stronger so that premier clubs can cut these kids and if they develop at community level bring them back.... not enough emphasis on the whole 'elite' cricketers playing premier cricket anymore
by Burras
Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sheffield Shield Season 2015/2016

Think you'll find that experience had a lot to play in this match..

SA's average age was 25 , with Mark Cosgrove being our most capped international player in the side with 3 ODI's.
Victoria's average age was 28, with players like Rob Quiney, Matthew Wade, Cameron White and Dan Christian all having sustainable careers in International cricket.

To go from bottom to top and to do so with a young list of players majority from SA is a massive step forward for cricket in SA and should be applauded regardless of the result!
by Burras
Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 C9AFL Div 7

Lucky the league has you two to sort these things out............
I've made a typically rock solid suggestion.

If a club elects to drop divisions, A graders who leave may not be allowed to return for a determined period.

I'm going to have to agree with Jetters on this. Maybe the points system should come into play to stop players leaving a club when it's on the verge of folding to only come back and dominate in div.7
by Burras
Thu May 26, 2016 11:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 C9AFL Div 7

So a guy plays for 15 years at a club, leaves for a year because the team folds through no fault of his own - and he cant come back to the club to help it rebuild?

That's going to be a really successful strategy for helping those clubs get back on their feet [/sarcasm]

Are you guys actually thinking this through?

Maybe think of the blokes that put the club in that position by leaving at the drop of a hat for $$ and now are back to 'help the club rebuild' :roll:
by Burras
Thu May 26, 2016 11:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Clubs for 2017

im sure all the teams in div 6 will be rapt if WCFC lose the GF and they get to have their asses handed to them for another 18 rounds in 2017..this affects many clubs not just the losing finalists and its the same in div 5 and div 4..but hey..its all about the SFL clubs.. :roll:

They would probably feel the same as all the Div 7 clubs that are getting their asses handed to them by Salisbury West, the club who nominated not to go up a grade..........
by Burras
Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Junior Cricket Development

Looks like there are some pretty significant changes to junior cricket on the way.

http://community.cricket.com.au/clubs/junior-formats/format-summary

Have been told that it is been trialed in several associations across the eastern states this year and will likely be introduced here next year.

I don't mind some of the changes in the younger grades, but I can't agree with having Under 15's playing 9 a side cricket.
Good changes. Will make the games better.

Why would 9 a side be a negative? Just means more batting and bowling for each of them which at that age is what they need.

Cricket really missed the boat with this. Soccer has been doing small sided games for years. Better late than never.

I like the look of these new changes!
More opportunity to score runs and less players being "hidden" in the field given so many opportunities for all players to develop their skills.
by Burras
Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sorry but if a kid is playing 16 whites he's hardly going to be the next superstar, unless he's 13.

Tell Jason Gillespie that ;)
by Burras
Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer

After he debacle at hobart why do we prepare wickets that seam and obviuosly suit the oppostiion bolwers more. Whats wrong with a good old fashioned road like we used to produce. Home team home conditions. Whats next spinning wickets when we play India.

WACA test last year..

9/559
7/385
2/104

one of the most boring test matches I've watched... would rather see batsmen show their class on a wicket thats doing a little something over that test any day.
by Burras
Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ATCA

Anyone hearing murmurs about a rebel T20 league starting up playing in the South Parklands this summer?

Pulteney to completely withdraw from ATCA, and taking their 5 ovals with them.
Starting up an 8 team T20 comp to play Saturday afternoon's (2-5pm).
4 games all at Park 20. (5th oval for the School kids).
14 rounds (play each team twice).
Semis and GF.
Season done in 16 weeks compared to the Turf's 23.

Starting late October to give the footballers a bit of time off.
No play on Test match weekend, Australia day weekend and 3 full weeks off over the Xmas-New Years break.
Finishes early March before the bad weather sets in.

Test run this season, with a plan to expand to 16 teams next season with games at 12-3 and 3-6.

Will be interesting to see if it gets any traction.

Not really for me, I'm still keen to play as much as possible, however I know a number of people who would love to still have a hit on Saturday's and don't have to commit the full afternoon.

Don't think it's a rebel league, pretty sure Pulteney (with a few other interested clubs) have taken this proposal to ATCA.

From my understanding POS will still have a team in the ATCA comp but Limited Overs only.
by Burras
Fri May 18, 2018 1:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 7 - 2018

Good to see an SFL tradition has been continued on in the AdFL.

Been happening in SAAFL since I played
I just wish we had the facilities to do it (but the ACC don't like the plans for our gin palace)

Come to think of it, I think there was another club doing this(or maybe not now)

Walkies or Raggies maybe? haven't played them for years so not sure.

Unley offered it to us... was a nice touch
by Burras
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ASCA

Yep watching kids not being able to bowl the full distance was far more entertaining.... :roll:
Watching under 12's have to play with a plastic ball is great for their development too :roll:

Different conditions for different skill levels, shouldn't have to drag the better player back to cater for the newbies, they have association teams for under 11's, what rules will they play by now? If they're allowed to have such competitions.

I've coached at all levels for most seasons of the past 16 years, I think they have gone a bit extreme, that's why we have milo cricket and other programs as such, if they can't bowl the distance, yeah, shorten it to suit.

Think you'll find it's a 142g leather in U12's.

I just cant understand why we wouldn't want to see community cricketers play cricket in a format that helps them succeed. Give a kid a chance to hit a moving ball with less with less fielders so he gets value for his shot and watch him get better.

Too many people are happy to watch double bouncing no-balls and 1* retired after 20 odd ball IMO
by Burras
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Time for a best ground poll!

Will run a couple. Please post your 5-4-3-2-1 votes for main ovals and also 5-4-3-2-1 votes for second ovals.

You can factor in pitch, outfield, changerooms, clubrooms, viewing for spectators/players, surrounds... or whatever you value most highly.

5 votes (best ground)
4 votes
3 votes
2 votes
1 vote

Main ovals - Bice, Campbelltown, Glandore, Glenelg, Henley, Parkinson, Pertaringa, Port Reserve, Price Memorial, Prospect, Salisbury, University and Woodville

Second ovals - Adelaide High, Broadview, Bulkana, Camden, Colonel Waite, EP Nazar, Henley High, Paddocks, Park 23, St Clair, University #2, Unley and Windsor Gardens

Main -
5: Campbelltown
4: Glandore
3: University
2: Port Reserve
1: Pertaringa

Second -
5: Unley
4: Uni #2
3: Park 23
2: St Clair
1: Bulkana
by Burras
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |