Search found 38 matches

Return

Re: Rnd 4 - Glenelg v Adelaide @ Gilderol (Fri N 25/4)

Looking forward to getting along to my first Glenelg game for the season! Weather looks good and as mentioned, should be a very healthy crowd!

As for the game itself, sadly I expect the Crows to win by plenty. What I hope to see is a Glenelg team heading in the right direction. There were some ok patches last week, but that needs to be built on. By the way, there'll be no multi scarving from this Crows AFL supporter, in the SANFL I am very much Glenelg first.
by matt35
Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glenelg vs Crows Reserves - Post Game

In spite of the fact that the Crows got the first 2 goals, it was clear from the opening bounce that Glenelg had come to play. The pressure that Glenelg were able to apply on the Crows, and to maintain that intensity through the game, was fantastic. With some key players now back in the side, we really do look different prospect! Big game next week against Norwood!

All round a great night at the Football. A great crowd and atmosphere. Loved it! Go Tigers!
by matt35
Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Channel 7 announced by SANFL as preferred telecast partn

With some of the ratings discussion that has been taking place in the Crows Magpies post game thread, thought I would make a couple of comments in here.

I have no doubt that Seven would be extremely happy with the audiences they are getting for their SANFL coverage. Naturally they would have been stepping cautiously in to this, after all, the SANFL has not been on commercial television since 1992, and had been attracting small audiences on the ABC. I would think the ratings so far would be well above their expectations!

My hope is that if this can continue, that down the track this may actually mean some revenue pumped back in to the SANFL and the clubs. A win-win if this does occur!
by matt35
Tue May 06, 2014 8:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Channel 7 announced by SANFL as preferred telecast partn

I would imagine it had everything to do with the ABC's preferred time for games. Their one and only window for state Football nationally is Saturday afternoons, and there was no flexibility at all with this.

As for the inevitable dig re Crows and Port, (*yawn*) I struggle to see how Centrals v Norwood, Centrals v South, Glenelg v South or this week Eagles v Glenelg relates to Adelaide or Port Adelaide. Some people on here will grasp at anything for a no AFL in the SANFL whinge, even where an argument does not exist!
by matt35
Tue May 06, 2014 11:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Live scores

Last year's crowd between Port Adelaide and Centrals at Alberton was 3,304, the year before the two sides attracted a crowd of 2,603. So I would hardly call a crowd of 3,048 "embarrassing", especially given that games involving Centrals are getting lower crowds, much more likely due to the poor onfield performance of Centrals than the no AFL obsession from some here. They are, after all, second to bottom! I know when we played Centrals a couple of weeks ago, there were significantly less travelling supporters than we've seen in previous years at Glenelg.

I should also ad that the previous two years, the Power played away on the weekends of the Port Centrals games at Alberton, and it goes without saying that that will inevitably have some impact on a Magpies crowd.

On the game itself, certainly a good effort from Centrals after quarter time. Will be interesting to see if they can take some momentum from their performance in that last three quarters in to next week and beyond.
by matt35
Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 10 - Port v Eagles- Post game

No, there was a Port Adelaide Football club playing as the Magpies, just as there is in 2014. *yawns*
by matt35
Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 13 - Sturt v Glenelg @ Envestra Park (Sat 12/7)

Congratulations to all broadcasters for not showing this match. This massacre will not be fit for a kid friendly time slot.

We did have a crack yesterday but I think Sturt at Unley is a different proposition totally. Sturt by 15 goals sadly.
by matt35
Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Average and median crowd figures to Round 8

I think what has happened, is that a number of people on here had already decided they didn't like the changes to the competition before the year even started. Now that the sky has not fallen in and the competition has not shrivelled up and died, some of these people, instead of choosing to move on, have dug in and are making arguments to back their case which just do not stack up in the face of evidence. That's why we've recently seen some resort to conspiracy theories, including deliberate inflation of crowds, and even that some on here defending the new set up are SANFL commissioners or have other vested interests in doing so.

I for one am glad we still have a healthy SANFL competition with a bright future.

@PhilH; nice work on the SANFL show on 5aa last night, and loved your comment re feeling like you should be coming home after a full round of Footy to watch Seven's Big League, I thought the exact same thing.
by matt35
Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 14 - Port v Adelaide @ Alberton Oval (Sat 26/7)

So uninterested, in fact, that I make that the 4th largest crowd this season. Not to mention that the Clare game was by far the highest rating SANFL game this year, followed by Norwood v Port in round one. Keep on telling yourselves it's not working if it makes you feel better, though.
by matt35
Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You're spot on Benny, absolutely laughable! Many on here were waiting for this game to flop, and now that it hasn't they're thrashing around for an argument! 6k at an SANFL game, by any measure, is a good crowd.

@Smac with respect, your argument isn't really relevant. Why would your club celebrate the crowd between Port and the Crows any more than, say, Glenelg would've celebrated the Anzac Day crowd between Norwood and North?
by matt35
Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SANFL scheduling is imho a separate argument, and you'll get no argument from me that at times this year it's been an absolute joke. Having a split round over the last two weeks has been ridiculous and a lost opportunity. Think that had more to do with the farce of a comp called the Foxtel Cup in this case than anything else though. Kill off that rubbish already!
by matt35
Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

There's a lot to chuckle about in this thread. But the thing that makes me, and apparently others, laugh the hardest, is people trying to tell a club, it's members and supporters, who they are, what their history is, how future premierships will be counted etc. Do any of you stop and think 1-how ridiculous that is and more importantly 2-how futile it is?

I certainly hope the Magpies do not win the premiership. But if they do, let me give you a bit of a tip that might help some of you to realise the futility of your comments. 1-People won't be chanting Power and 2-it won't be the Power song that plays over the PA system. Oh, and another hint, they'll be counting it as their 37th SANFL premiership, they won't be saying, oh but some people on an internet forum say we're not the same club any more!
by matt35
Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Oh Benny, stop hitting these poor people with facts, you're getting in the way of a more than 12 month sook! Oh, and if we want to talk about pies and pasties, yet somehow try to pretend the 9k who attended the Glenelg Crows game is somehow irrelevant, how many pies and pasties do we think were sold at that game?

Certainly in terms of crowds and interest in the competition, the no AFL in the SANFL argument has collapsed completely.
by matt35
Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

The replies to my comment re Saturday afternoon Footy are proof that most on here are stuck in an era that has long gone. Explain to me why there has been a move to night Football? Explain why crowds on Sunday afternoons and decent Friday nights tend to be larger than those on a Saturday afternoon? The facts are that Saturdays aren't what they used to be, with people having many more commitments etc. Not to mention, as stated above, amos/country Football etc.
by matt35
Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 18 - Glenelg v Port Magpies @ Gliderol (Sat 23/8)

As someone who is blind I am very appreciative of the inground coverage when there is no radio coverage. So is my girlfriend, it means she doesn't have to play commentator! :)
by matt35
Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No finals no Magarey is equally a pipedream other than on here. Yes there'll be a review as there was always going to be. Some changes around top up players will be about as far as that goes I'd imagine. The rest I think isn't much more than people on here trying to justify a year of whinging. For all the doom and gloom it's been a good year for the competition.
by matt35
Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2nd Semi Final - Port v Norwood @ Adelaide Oval (Sat 6/9

Still can't find this Power Reserves team! Can find the Magpies and the Power though. Keep kidding yourselves but the stats won't back you up either! Port just won their 44th minor premiership by the way!

Holding back of AFL players is nothing new either in spite of the way some are carrying on.
by matt35
Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 5 - Live Scores and waffle

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am guessing the minimum standards being discussed would only take in to account the ability for the players to play safely, and not so much the experience for spectators. I would tend to go with less night games myself, and definitely agree playing them after Mid May is just a bad idea. Not that tonight was by any means a bad night, even at Noarlunga which is traditionally cold and windy!

Went down tonight, needless to say it was pretty ugly and angry going out of the ground with people demanding refunds and being told no. Felt for the people on the gate who were clearly only the messengers, but they were giving people very vague answers as to how they would be compensated. Free entry tomorrow but of course for various reasons many people were stating they would be unable to make it.
by matt35
Sat May 02, 2015 10:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 10 - Eagles v Adelaide @ M T Hyunda Oval (Sat 20/6)

Hah funny you should mention that. I knew the siren had just gone in Melbourne, and heard a random cheer and asked my partner if I had missed something. She assured me I hadn't, so I quickly realised what the cheer had been for.
by matt35
Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Grand Final - Eagles v West - Sun 27/9/15

Great! Now another team that has won a premiership since Glenelg! :(

No seriously, congratulations to West Adelaide. I did not believe the Eagles could be beaten this year, but it was clear from the start that West were on and the Eagles very much on the back foot. Very happy for Mark Mickan to get a flag after having Glenelg around the mark without the ultimate prize for a few years. Great for the West supporters; the 32 year drought is over.
by matt35
Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R6: North v Glenelg - Sunday 1 May @ Prospect Oval

Think we took a fairly sizeable step backwards today. Said to my partner ten minutes in that we hadn't come to play, and what followed was an uncompetitive unacceptable first half. North were hard at it, applied pressure whenever we had the ball and we were at the complete opposite end of the scale when it came to intensity. 33 inside 50s to 12 at half time really did say it all about North's total dominance. Second half a little better, but really disappointed with what we served up today. North have come a long way in a hurry under Josh Carr, and I think North supporters have plenty to look forward to as they will continue to improve.
by matt35
Sun May 01, 2016 11:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R15 - Adelaide v Sturt @ Thebby

Perhaps not, but that's still a crowd of over 3 thousand without Sturt having the cost of putting on a home game as they were covered by Adelaide, while Sturt got the gate.
by matt35
Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

A fair bit of rewriting of history going on around here imho!

To suggest that by 1990 everything was all roses with the SANFL just isn't how it was. The trend of players leaving was accelerating fast, and would only have continued as in spite of the best efforts of the player retention scheme, we simply were not able to compete with the money available in the AFL. We had at least four clubs that I can think of in serious financial trouble; how exactly does anyone think that situation would have been corrected? More mergers? By 1990 as I remember it the prevailing mood was, albeit I'll grant reluctantly, an acceptance that we would eventually enter a team in to the AFL, but that we were holding out for better terms to do so. That Port's bid sped this process up and weakened our bargaining position is beyond doubt. But I strongly suspect that if it had not been Port, it may well have been another club. To think that we could have just pushed on alone indefinitely as we were, bleeding players and money, is pure dreaming.

As for support, I do not think frankly that anyone here should feel they have to justify how they support the comp or the clubs in it to anyone. I have continued to support Glenelg post 1991 and continue to do so. I support Glenelg against all teams, including against the Crows SANFL team. However, when games do not clash I will often go and watch the Crows game as well as Glenelg's. I will be there Saturday, hoping the Crows get the win over the Dogs.
by matt35
Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2017 Predictions for SANFL Premiers

Sturt
Adelaide
Eagles
Norwood
Port
South
Centrals
North
Glenelg
West.
by matt35
Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Just recently it was announced that community radio station Radio Adelaide would be covering, wait for it, Friday night AFL! The purpose of community radio is to fill voids not filled by mainstream media. Given that in Adelaide we can choose from three different radio coverages of Friday night AFL, plus the television, I struggle to see how this can be justified. Now it appears we will have no station covering the SANFL, this is where they should be going.
by matt35
Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

This may well be the end of me attending games if it is true. Being completely blind I rely on having a radio commentary of the game to allow me to get full enjoyment, to barrack like everyone else etc. Streaming the commentary is useless for me when I am at a game, because the nature of streaming means that the commentary is a good several seconds behind the actual play. I have tried it, it is hopeless.
Is there some sort of reading app that gives a computer voice to blog messages and the like?
Very sorry to hear that you will be affected so directly by the loss of radio broadcasting, if indeed, we do end up losing it.

Life won't be doing any games, TRB.

I use an app called JAWS. Basically it will read any text on the screen and convert it to speech. It also says each letter as I type it in. My iPhone has a similar app, called Voiceover. which allows me full access to the internet via my phone. All this has really only happened in the last 20 years.
by matt35
Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Round 5

Went to Woodville today. Just wanted to congratulate the Eagles on launching "Eagles Radio", a first apparently today. It is an inground game commentary. For someone such as myself having a radio commentary to listen to at the game makes it so much more enjoyable. excellent initiative and I hope it continues and that the idea catches on with other clubs.

On the game itself, the Eagles were never really seriously threatened. They kicked 4-8 with the wind in the first quarter and should have been further in front. Adelaide had a decent enough second quarter, reducing the margin to 11 points. The second half was all Eagles. Four from four for them now, and a big test for Glenelg next week.

Don't have a crowd figure but I'd say around 1200-1300.

How was the call? Pickles is a very funny man, im sure he'd rather be doing it at Dogs games though
Yeah really good call with plenty of humour and banter thrown in. Really enjoyed it.
by matt35
Sat May 06, 2017 9:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Falling Attendances

Eagles certainly won't end up bottom when it comes to crowds. They are still to play Norwood, Port and Sturt at home plus their annual carnival game against Adelaide. So their average will rise a fair bit in the second half of the season I'd imagine. Also some rather interesting scheduling for a couple of their home games. Their game against Adelaide was head to head with a Crows AFL away game, and their game against Glenelg on the afternoon leading to an AO Crows home game.
by matt35
Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NEW SANFL WIN/LOSS STATS

Bottom line is that the stupidity never should've actually got as far as getting in to the budget. Ridiculous and pathetic. The Port Adelaide Football club has had an uninterrupted presence in the competition and the budget's statistics is no place to push an agenda of not being happy with the current structure/set up.
by matt35
Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 17

Really, really insipid from us yesterday. To serve that absolute garbage up, with so much to play for, is totally unacceptable. That first quarter was just sickeningly bad. Credit to North, who were able to find steadying goals whenever challenged. The idea of us playing finals after that is laughable, but it may well not happen now anyway, as an Adelaide side with a number of players back pushes for 5th. No confidence we'll beat West next week; we've been horrible at Richmond in recent years.
by matt35
Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BBL 2017/2018

Head and Carey available for the final! http://www.adelaidestrikers.com.au/news ... 2018-02-03
by matt35
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glenelg v North Mon 1410

Apparently that automatic siren caused issues during the reserves game as well? If there been a drinking game for every time Peter Walsh mentioned "sirengate" on the commentary during the second half there'd be one hell of a hang over today!
by matt35
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide V Port in Port Pirie

Port to get the win here. Adelaide due for a loss, may have a couple out and Port look very strong.
by matt35
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Finals

He stated he will retire at the end of the year; I took that to mean he will play SANFL finals. He went in to this season knowing he'd mostly be an SANFL player so would be rather strange to not play out the season.
by matt35
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: RD10...GL V ST...2:10PM GLENELG OVAL...MONDAY 13/6

Easily our best performance this season. As mentioned Sturt's task was made more difficult by the loss of their ruckman in the first minute, I hope that isn't as serious as feared. What I liked though is we were ruthless and did not drop off at any stage.
by matt35
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 18 Centrals vsC#%*s. 5:00 Saturday

Ordinary ravens side

I will point out, as I do every week when someone says this, that three AFL listed players will come in to this side, which will mean 16 listed players will be playing. This week it will be three from Crouch, Himmelberg, Davis and Rowe, so the side that will actually play will be far from ordinary.
by matt35
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2023 Preliminary Final - Sturt v Crowserves

Strachan, Wright and McPherson all named as inclusions. Wright a definite coming back from suspension. If Strachan plays, I think Adelaide have Sturt covered.
by matt35
Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |