Search found 513 matches

Return

Re: Future of the SANFL

another issue - if you have a full reserves comp, do you expand the lists? do you still have topup players? to me it would make more sense to extend lists to maybe 50-55, which then brings about more costs etc. possibly could be offset by increased broadcasting of those games. but i doubt it. 55 person lists (and that would be the minimum to almost-guarantee that 2 sides could be formed every week with only minimal & occasional top-ups) would be a very bad thing for the SANFL. Lists currently top out at 44 (plus international rookies, basketballers and weird stuff). Those extra 11 players, per club, i.e. 198 players extra on AFL lists would come from somewhere. No prizes for guessing where.

A better solution for the SANFL would be the for the AFL reserves comp to be established on similar list sizes to now, and continue to move top-ups in the direction that most AFL teams are going anyway, i.e. a testing ground for young players. Because it's not a massive priority for AFL clubs whether their reserves win ('winning culture' yadda yadda notwithstanding), and it's much more about identifying and developing talent, they will be much more interested in having a look at potential draftees (who are kids), rather than paying coin to have say Kieran McGuinness or Brett Eddy playing for their reserves side. One 'leadership player' is neither here nor there in the grand scheme. The greatest demand is for the U/18s, while the draft age remains as it is—and so the simplest model would be that each SA AFL club is allocated 4 U/18 SANFL clubs (there will only be 8 in total: Port Adelaide has, in a bargain it may come to sorely regret, signed away its U/18 zones forever from 2015 on), from whom it picks its weekly top-ups. Whenever not topping up an AFL reserves side, SA juniors continue as they were, i.e. they continue to 'belong' to their SANFL club unless and until being drafted. The rules of the AFL may need to be changed to accommodate this—otherwise, they could just go with the 'Rafferty's rules, gather left-over bits & pieces from country leagues, ammos etc' model, ditching the ill-conceived 'hey, SANFL clubs, can you loan us some spare over-18 players?' experiment that the Crows have tried in 2014.

Either way, the SANFL gets its soul back, the AFL clubs get their development league, and the SANFL's quality doesn't fall away dramatically either.
by SimonH
Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Reserves. The Pros and Cons:

I'd say no TV coverage at all ( the SANFL couldn't afford to pay someone to do it as they would get reduced revenue ) and reduced ( which is minimal now ) print media coverage. As a result, less sponsorship.

Less sponsorship, less monies in the clubs.....you do the maths.

The result would be catastrophic.
by Booney
Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

crows clearly not dominating as previously mentioned, got 4000 supporters to the game and Walker played most of the game what the whinging going to be about this week?

Crows supporters didn't buy enough pies and beer?
Crows supporters didn't make enough noise?
Crows weren't trying?
Crows player are overpaid for the performance they put in?

or will the minority of SANFL supporter still whinging about AFL sides in the comp just move on and get out any enjoy the rest of the season!
by Tassie Blues
Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Reserves. The Pros and Cons:

Sorry Booney, you were right as another thread turns to shit. Bet you weren't expecting it to be one of the Pro Ressie posters to bring it down though :evil: :roll:

Not just this thread Johnny, the whole SANFL forum has turned to shit. Every thread is filled with anti-Port anti-Adelaide sentiment, FFS, there's even a ladder that doesn't acknowledge the two sides existence! Talk about head-in-the sand denial. Quite laughable that people are that immature. :lol:

If all the people who simply threatened to walk away from the competition all together in among the heat of debate last year actually did, it wouldn't bother me one bit. Sure, long standing SANFL fans lost to the competition is not a good thing, but constant pissing and moaning about wanting the good 'ol days back simply won't bring them back.

And nothing, nothing ads more to a game review thread than asking "What scarves were people wearing?" :roll: :lol:
by Booney
Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Good article but unfortunately slightly out of context as the current Port Reserves setup wasn't announced at that point.
by dedja
Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 4 – Eagles v Sturt – Post game

zipzap wrote:Official crowd no.?

There were 3,898 at Envestra Park, Unely, this afternoon...
by Big Phil
Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pure SANFL ladder

should be called get a life ladder :roll:
by gossipgirl
Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well done for taking the game to the country. The kids would love to see this standard of football no matter what sides are playing. Great for football. If it benefits the local clubs great, if it benefits the SANFL great , if it benefits the AFL great. Football is the winner of this promotion
Time to get over it John
by Go Sharks
Thu May 01, 2014 4:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Its great for footy. People who cant see that are just looking for a bite.
by Go Sharks
Thu May 01, 2014 10:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This thread is sponsored by the Flat Earth Society of SA
by dedja
Sun May 04, 2014 11:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This thread is brilliant, you couldn't write satire as witty as this :)
by Leon_LeCornu
Sat May 03, 2014 5:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

When was the last time an SANFL team was not playing in a televised game, for this weekend only port power and crows supporters get to see their teams on TV. I would have happily watched a the south and eagles game on TV today, I will not be watching another game where the crows or power are playing.
FYI both team are SANFL team playing today's game
by Tassie Blues
Sun May 04, 2014 3:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R5 - Adelaide v Port Reserves Post Match

Channel 7 Media Release...

PORT and CROWS SET SANFL RATINGS RECORD

SANFL IGA LEAGUE telecast draws 63,000 viewers

Seven’s historic SANFL IGA League clash between the Adelaide Crows and Port Adelaide on Sunday drew the biggest audience for a home and away telecast since 2001.

The LIVE telecast (2.00 to 5.00pm) averaged 63,291 viewers on 7mate with a peak audience of 81,000 viewers.

The MAC Game of The Week partly clashed with the AFL match between Geelong and Richmond which averaged 56,712 viewers (2.30 to 5.30pm) on Seven.

The broadcast, with commentators John Casey, Mark Soderstrom and Tim Ginever and boundary reporter Tom Wilson, saw Port Adelaide claim top spot and Crows key forward Taylor Walker kick four goals before his expected return to the Crows’ AFL squad.

The previous highest rating SANFL home and away match since the start of the OzTAM people meter ratings system in 2001 was the Sturt v Woodville West Torrens match in 2005 (56,743 viewers).

Seven’s SANFL IGA League telecasts are averaging 47,841 viewers after five rounds – a jump of almost 28,000 viewers per match after five rounds (20,193) of the 2013 season on the ABC.

HIGHEST RATING SANFL TELECASTS SINCE 2001

Year Match Viewers
2014 Crows v Port 63,291
2005 Sturt v Eagles 56,743
2014 Norwood v Port 54,884
2003 Norwood v Sturt 54,641
2004 Sturt v Eagles 54,150

Seven’s SANFL IGA LEAGUE telecasts are supported by MAC, RAA, IGA and Bank SA.
by Big Phil
Mon May 05, 2014 4:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 6 - Port Magpies v Sturt @ Alberton (Sun 11/5)

CUTTERMAN wrote:Such is the sorry mess of the SANFL.
Non Power Magpie supporters have been truly been shafted by the promises from the One Club vote.
But what do you expect.

How about you have your say on the other whinge threads and leave this about the game.
by stan
Fri May 09, 2014 7:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 6 LIVE scores

lesthemechanic wrote:
whufc wrote:Power Reserves up by 10 goals at 3/4 time.

Wow , what a surprise. Glad I didn't go.
The SANFL is such an even competition now. Glad things changed for the better this season, decided for us by smarter people than you or I.
there is a whinge thread for people like you[LOUDLY CRYING FACE]
by Dols
Sun May 11, 2014 5:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

$14 is quite a lot to go to the SANFL. especially now that you can take a family of 4 to stand on the hill at adelaide oval for $50 (for the Crows Gold Coast game at least)

$10 seems to be about the price point imo.

100% agree

I think the SANFL needs to trial dropping the prices dramatically and seeing if the money is made up from the extra attendance spending money in the ground and using clubroom facilities
by whufc
Mon May 12, 2014 12:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This thread is a 41 page merry go round.
by Dols
Fri May 16, 2014 11:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: LIVE SCORES ROUND 7

You'd think it wouldn't be that hard to put up a 10 second advertisement for it on the scoreboard in all seriousness.
by RB
Sat May 17, 2014 12:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 7 - Glenelg v Central @ Gliderol inc Post Match

Lots of sooking on Bulldogs Banter, love the comments about the Bays being soft.

The Bays won because they were harder at the ball.

Great endeavour by both sides though, pity skills went out the window.

Gowans boys were well lubricated in the bar after the game.
by dedja
Sun May 18, 2014 12:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: LIVE Scores - Round 8

Heath and Renouf. The heart bleeds.
Come on North do the comp a favour and take out another few players. tosser. To wish injury to any player describes the type of person you must be.
Im sure most other SANFL followers feel the same.
If thats what it takes to bring these interlopers back to the field than im all for it, the league hasnt got the balls to do anything about it so its our only chance.
Think you should just speak for yourself on that one champ :roll:
by johntheclaret
Sat May 24, 2014 5:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 8 - South v Crows Reserves - Post match

Tend to agree with Fester on this one.

Some of the claims here are starting to get quite fanciful.

How long does the 'Crows can never beat Norwood' agreement last for?

Forever is a long time. Whilst Tripodi is still in business? Packard is still running his companies?

What happens when everyone complicit in this said 'agreement' are long gone, what happens then?

Perhaps the CIA did murder JFK after all, man never landed on the moon, and the US accidentally shot down MH370 and are covering it up?

Anyway, back to the thread.

Surprising result given recent form but then again with the Crows we always suspected that results will be very up and down.

South have been great so far but its a long season. Time will tell whether they have the stamina to last the distance. Slip up and there are a few side breathing down their neck to take their spot in the 5.
by dedja
Sun May 25, 2014 6:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So are the SANFL crowds up or down this year ???

Find out with the league figures compared with the last 3 years, plus rankings of home game, all game and away game average crowds club by club.

All in the FOOT-e TIMES SANFL CROWD WATCH.

http://footetimes.com/sanfl-crowd-watch-where-we-are-at/

BTW check out the difference between Norwood's home and away crowds so far this season.
by PhilH
Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

topsywaldron wrote:Love how you can use 44 games as evidence that everything's dandy Matt.

as opposed to you guys using the same 44 games to prove that everything has turned to shit, even when the evidence is that it hasnt?
by bennymacca
Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 9 - Port v Central (Alberton) - Sun 8/6

seemingly the game never happened 8)
by gossipgirl
Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 10 - Central v Adelaide @ Playford Alive (Sat 14/6

:roll:

Adelaide to keep the Doggies season going in the right direction. Adelaide by 33. That better?
by Booney
Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 10 - Glenelg v South - Post Game

rolfe hoping there isnt any footage of his hit on joseph 10 mtrs off the ball cos the prick will get a nice holiday if there is
by stampy
Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 10 - Port v Eagles- Post game

Sounded on the radio like the Eagles put up a bit of a contest.

So, is the Irishman getting deported? if there is any video then it will be withdrawn.

Video looks pretty damning. If he doesn't know how to play football then he can **** off till he knows how. He's already sooked off home once hasn't he?

If you call going home to say goodbye to his dying grandfather 'having a sook' I feel sorry for you
by RustyCage
Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 10 - Sturt v Norwood - Post Game

passionatelegsfan wrote:And people thought norwood were finished hahah
No-one from outside Norwood thought they were finished. The only negativity re Norwood came from their own supporters.
by RB
Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Live Scores Round 10

Full Time
Glenelg 7.9 (51)
South 14.12 (96)

Q4 30m
Port 18.16 (124)
Eagles 15.10 (100)

Mark Sodestrom with a fairly ordinary analogy on TV, comparing the goal umpire being knocked to the twin towers collapsing.
Not as bad as ginever mentioning alleway and Super in the same sentence. And Alleway got reported in last minute, will get games
by kneedeepinthehoopla
Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Steve Summerton pretty much said all of this during his rant late last season. The 'Magpies' are there for the Power, end of story.

Anyway, it's a minor issue to me in this whole debate.

When Summerton made those comments was when it was rumoured that Port would follow the crows plus get rid of the magpies altogether. Bit hard to use that as any evidence when it was related to a situation that never happened
by kickinit
Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"CHEATING" (Using capitals helps when getting your point across) would be playing outside of the rules governing the competition.
by Booney
Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You"re pretty much on the money JTC on the reason for starting this thread, but I also did it with my tongue firmly in my cheek.

Of course it's up to the individual on how they wish to react to the events from last year, and there has been a range of ways that people have, but it got to the point that every single thread was and is degenerating into the same thing.

So this if you like is the sticky to vent.

I personally wasn't happy that my club made the decision that it did, and worried that it was the beginning of the end. I also was pissed about the way the Crows conducted themselves through the process, especially the way Trigg was bullying clubs and the SANFL.

I know Nick Chigwidden reasonably well, and I know how much that man has dedicated his life to the Glenelg Football Club, firstly as a player, next as a very active Board member, and now as the President. He puts in a mountain of hours for little personal gain and to the detriment of his family and business interests.

If there is a person that bleeds more for the club then I'm yet to meet them. I also know the members of the Board, the CEO, players and their parents/families. Not all, but some really well. When I've discussed the AFL Reserves topic the reaction has generally been to support Chig's decision. I'm no orphan here, a lot of you are either well known within your club or know the key players well.

I also note that those within my club who seem to be most vocal did not seem to be active within the club as there was little mention of the topic at the AGM.

Now I may be mistaken. I could be talking to the wrong people, or could be underestimating the work that those opposing the AFL Reserves have been conducting.

What I do know is that my club is financially on its knees. I know that our new CEO is working his arse off to get the club back on track, and after reviewing the finances and seeing how he is approaching the task, I'm confident the job is in good hands.

I also know that protests which include not taking out memberships, not going to selected games or not continuing to be involved with the club will only hurt the club, and if enough do it, could ultimately contribute to bringing down the club.

Anyway, please vent away, enjoy the thread and go hard at what you believe in.

If you could also keep the other SANFL threads somewhat clean of this issue then it will be a win-win for all.

Cheers ...
by dedja
Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 11 - Norwood v Glenelg @ Coopers Stadium (Sat 21/6

Missed the corresponding game last year having my gall bladder out, would have gladly given up my spleen to miss today's effort.
by dedja
Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

One of the joys of not being a member is that I no longer have to suffer through "excuse emails" from the club.

Anyone suffering the illusion that all norwood supporters are high class should be forced to catch the H22 bus after the game. OH MY LORD...

However as I type this I am sitting on a footy express train surrounded by lesser life forms clad in uggs, coiffed in mullets and sporting teal clothing. I have just learned several new definitions of the word "feral".
by Pseudo
Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Knives being sharpened maybe.
You love it, don't ya? Wish I could be brave and not declare who I support, yet at the same time make imbecilic comments presumably for fun.
On the Tiges, I reckon we found a new rock bottom today. Worse than mid 90s rubbish. Really hope coaches and players are as embarrassed as me
by kneedeepinthehoopla
Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 11 - West v Port @ City Mazda Stadium (Sun 22/6)

topsywaldron wrote:
SANFLnut wrote:Rapt we won, feels very hollow though

Unlike beating a Port Adelaide team in years gone by?

Wonder why.

(PS It's because they're not actually Port for those with mental retardation)

What are you doing in here? Offering another truck load of chuckles I assume? :roll:
by Booney
Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Have to say it was a lonely place to be as a Glenelg supporter, lucky to have been 50 of us there.
:(
I was thinking exactly the same thing during the 1st quarter with only about 50 odd in black n gold. Not everyone wears
club colours, so maybe 100 or so Bay folk. Still very disappointing, you'd expect a crowd of at least 3 or 4 thousand at a Redlegs
Vs Tigers game. Congratulations to the Glenelg faithful who did go. You are what football is all about and when 'the wheel turns',
as it surely will, you will be the ones to enjoy the spoils all the more for your dedication. We know the feeling !

I'm pretty proud of the Norwood crew who congregate around the players race as the winners and losers trudge off too.
Except for one peanut who called an inoffensive jibe and was hushed, we just watched the Bay boys quietly leave. Everyone
knew Glenelg had been flogged and I was moved by the silent respect shown. Perhaps because we've ALL been there.
Or maybe because most of the good banter had been used up during the game. As it should be.

A couple of flags must be making me soft. I missed the perfect opportunity for a killer line whilst walking out to the Norwood
huddle at quarter time. We were just walking past the Bay huddle and being deafened by Nick Stevens who was ripping his
players 'a new one' and tearing them to shreads with a monumental tirade of insults and abuse. I swear, if he had stopped for
a breath, I was within micro-seconds of yelling out .............. "IT'S THE COACH'S FAULT !!!"
;)
Luv,
Sabre.
by SABRE
Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 11 - North v Adelaide Reserves @ Prospect

Crows won and cheated.

The umpires cheated.

Some blokes ex-wife cheated.

4,000 Crows supporters didn't turn up.
by maxyoz
Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sturt taking the piss?

I don't see it as taking the piss @ all.
Just enhancing the traditional 'wharfie' roots of the 2 err 1 err 2 or is it 1 Club(s). 8)
Looks like a Buoy floating on water (the colour of the Port River after ICI have emptied there waste products) with a Magpie - seems OK to me. ;)

Perhaps they could adopt this logo next year, modified with a fist stabbing a lightning bolt through the heart of the Magpie?

1 err 2 clubs, 2 err 1 club or just change clubs?

Bit rich......
by Booney
Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Well played North supporters

Some of the players, including some who've proudly represented Norwood over the years, copped some over the top abuse at the Parade apparently, which imho isn't acceptable. Onfield sure bag the opposition as you like about dropped marks, copping a bath from an opponent yada yada, usual footy banter, but personal abuse towards blokes who had no say in the change to the SANFL doesn't make a heap of sense to me.
by JK
Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

cracka wrote:Is it really the behaviour you want in front of families though.

Apparently.

So we have gone from not going to any games and have zero numbers to show our disgust, to going to every game in large numbers to show our disgust.
by maxyoz
Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Geeze some of you blokes can whinge

Crows and port must be doing something right ;)
by Kelso
Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

woodublieve12 wrote:From this day forward NO Crow supporter can give Adam Goodes grief for being a sook!!! BANNED!!! :)

You've only got to see the Anti AFL threads on here to see a bunch of sooks.
by Ron Burgundy
Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 12 - Sturt v Port @ Envestra Park (Sat 28/6)

Why are people talking as if it's Port responsibility to provide the crowd for an away game?
by Leon_LeCornu
Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 12 - Sturt v Port @ Envestra Park (Sat 28/6)

Leon_LeCornu wrote:Why are people talking as if it's Port responsibility to provide the crowd for an away game?

Because the Crows promised an extra 14,000 each week.

4,000 at crows games and 10,000 at Port games.
by maxyoz
Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Live Scores

Great old fashioned game of SANFL footy
by drifter
Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 12 - Sturt v Port - POST GAME Discussion

topsywaldron wrote:
pipers wrote:Who were Sturt's best?

Kirkwood and Beard?

Again?

The death of your football team not stopping you asking pointless questions then.

You know nobody cares about the Maggies anymore don't you?

You're right. That's why 3/4 of this forum is whinging about Port Adelaide on a weekly basis.
by Macca19
Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 12 - Sturt v Port - POST GAME Discussion

matt35 wrote:At Macca; Not worth responding to people like topsy who are on a sulk that's now reached nearly 12 months! Oh and I see the umpires are now in on the great AFL conspiracy! Who next?

No Umps in the SANFL
by maxyoz
Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

whufc wrote:
Jim05 wrote:When was the last time a top of the table team at end of the minor round would have an average home crowd of less than 3k.

Central Districts 2011
by Macca19
Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |