Search found 12 matches

Return

Re: Adelaide Plains Football League

I've heard of a few names from newly promoted division 1 sides Port Districts and Portland linked to Virginia. Anyone else heard anything about this?
by Greggy Gregginson
Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Eyre Peninsula (or Western zone) seems to me like the only area where association and zone football would be universally aspired to.. Because of its small population and remoteness in comparison to most other country areas in the state, there would be a pride that only this can create. Even though association and zone footy in all areas should be seen as a privelege and honour, it's pretty hard to say for instance that two people from Jamestown and Gumeracha respectively playing for central zone with each other would have the same pride in their jumper and area as two people from Streaky Bay and Cleve playing for the EYre Peninsula
by Greggy Gregginson
Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Would be interesting to know everyone's opinions on premiership/league medal etc. favourites at this stage of the season?

Two Wells premiership favourites for mine, although Mallala look to be coming home strong. Hamley will get found out come finals time and Virginia to round out the four could still have an impact

Allmond, Seccafien, Stribling, Montgomerie to compete for the league medal, but wouldn't discount 2013 joint winner Heath Pym who after a slowish start to the season looks to be coming home with a wet sail

Lachy Michael will wrap up best under 21 by a country mile, easily the best under 21 player in the comp and could also feature prominently in the league medal too
by Greggy Gregginson
Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I heard Solly and Hood re-signed before seasons end? I don't think United would be overly concerned if the others left, although they are handy A graders
by Greggy Gregginson
Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not sure if it has been posted on here.
But I just saw these 2 links on the SANFL thread.
Hamley losing 4 of their best players
Stribling, Duncan and Thach to Kaniva-Leeor FC

http://www.mailtimes.com.au/story/2728635/kaniva-leeor-signs-former-afl-listed-toby-stribling-three-others/

Dowdell to Eastlake FC
http://m.canberratimes.com.au/sport/act-sport/eastlake-sign-former--crows-rookie--ben-dowdell-20141129-11wopz.html

Those 3 + that Seb that are going to kaniva, there weekly payments would be $4,000 a week on just those 4 players! :shock: hardly worth it in my opinion.

You don't have a good word to say about many players do ya snags. Arguably 2 of the top 4 players in APFL last season to a (without seeing any football) lesser comp, that is a great get for kaniva.
I don't think he's being that harsh.. IMO no single player is worth over $1000 a game in country football (maybe in a very extreme case) Gilhaus would be the only one worth 1K a game because he's a quality ruckman which are extremely hard to come by. Of the other 3, Stribling would be the only one you could debate would be worth 1K a game but finding good midfielders is not that hard in comparison to every other position.. All are quality players but personally I wouldn't be paying $1000 a game for them.. Just my opinion
by Greggy Gregginson
Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

100% agree. Absolutely a money issue. Well done Newton & 2014 Hamley committee! Hope it was all worth it at the expense of your club & possibly the league. With all that money, you could've recruited a dozen 21 yo players at around $250 each & created an awesome club environment for them to stay. (God knows the league looked after you with enough points over the years) You may not have won a flag straight away but at least you would be competitive. #bloodonyourhands
Equal shame on the premiership locals whom are leaving. You just gotta ride out tough times. Two Wells had plenty of tough years but at least they always had a good club environment. Same as with United & Eagles currently.
2 things, $250 for 21 year olds is what is driving the money situation out of control, not many if any kids deserve that sort of money...
Secondly, I think you will find the committee went down that path you suggested (without the money u suggested), have a look at these names:
Zanandrea
Bradtke
Oxenham J
Oxenham R
Burchell
Pinch
Parsons

To go with locals
Appleton returning
Darwin R
Ireland returning
Power returning
Frencken returning
Even would and Schahinger aren't that old
All these lads are 19-23 yrs of age, most played regular A's last year (11 of them named in sporting pulse for the GF), to go along with another 5 or 6 Gawler lads in the 2's....

As for environment, story is Newton put on a free BBQ every thurs during preseason, hosted club functions on his property, and from all reports all the players hung around after games....

But let's just focus on the recruitment of 3 blokes, makes a better story hey....
Can't see how Woofa has blamed it on the recruitment of 3 blokes anywhere Roo.. I also don't agree with your statement about not many 21 year olds deserving even $250 a game. I would say guys like Lachy Michael, Greenshields, Appelby, Rowe, Birchmore, Beard, Wise and Slattery (maybe a couple more around the league) would be worth that if they went away from their home clubs to play.

I understand Hamley Bridge struggle for locals, but you can't say that if as many of the players from last years side were not paid as much as they were, that Hamley would be in the same predicament they are now.

I believe that if an A grade side finishes top of the ladder and the B Grade doesn't make finals (or at least challenge) too much money has been spent on not enough players. Look at the predicament in the Hills league this year with Echunga winning the A grade, while their B grade was winless. Obviously too much money was spent on not enough players, or they would have a lot more depth, resulting in better B grade performances (ala Hamley Bridge)

After all, football CLUB's are CLUB's not TEAM's
(This is just my opinion on the situation, not an attack personally or at the Hamley Bridge Football Club who I hope can find a way to remain a successful club)
by Greggy Gregginson
Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Matthew Krieg named as United Coach 2016. Apparantly Crewdson only found out he wasnt coaching last night. Pretty unproffessional if you ask me

Piss poor if true - there must be an explanation.

Interesting if true but hearing previous United coach was told he had the job only for the club to do a back flip while he was away. Rumours are the Football Director and some players have walked as a consequence

I would be surprised if the football director had walked.
I'm not 100% sure who it is but I'm pretty sure everyone high up is well entrenched within the Long Plains/Dublin community

My opinion is Crewy is pretty unlucky but with a guy as good as Greig coming in, the club had to make the decision it thought was the best.
You can't let relationships get in the way of decisions such as this

I notice you're staying as far away from this as possible MC haha
by Greggy Gregginson
Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Jimmy_041 wrote:He'll be at Long Plains (straight from the Horses mouth)

Pun intended?
by Greggy Gregginson
Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Simon Feast playing B grade tomorrow for Two Wells! has he played at all the last couple of years? Are they just struggling to fill 2 sides atm?

Are you saying you wouldn't have a 200-game league player in your B grade side?
I'd have him in the A's at the drop of a hat, let alone the B's
Bloody oath I would!! That's not what im saying :roll: I don't think hes played a game for a couple of years now so why is he playing B grade with only 2 games to go??

Oh haha sorry.. Well after having a quick look at the reserves ladder, Two Wells are two games out of the 4 and HWE are likely to sew up fourth spot against Angle Vale this weekend. With Wells A grade side a look for fourth spot with two games to play before finals, it wouldn't be worth putting him in the A grade without being available for finals and I'd suggest he just hasn't been available for the past couple of seasons due to his assistant coaching role at Norwood
Correction - if Balaklava can beat Virginia this week in the reserves, it'll be a play off for fourth spot in the last game of the season
by Greggy Gregginson
Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Witnessed an extremely well structured long plains on saturday in both senior grades against two wells kreigs message is obviously getting through
lets hope for their sake his job is secure and the committee doesn't invade his territory
Going on what I've heard from people involved with United, albeit not committee members as far as I'm aware, I don't think the club will be getting rid of him anytime soon. Obviously a very well credentialed coach and has bought players with him.
Hopefully with both United and Hummocks on the improve, the league will no longer be just a top 4 league as it has been in recent years
by Greggy Gregginson
Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hopefully Balaklava genuinely attempt to resolve some of the key issues that have led to some of its members and players wanting to throw the toys out of the cot and play somewhere else. It is likley that some of the issues that Balaklava have raised align with those of other clubs around the competition - fingers crossed they show some leadership and attempt to work with the board and clubs to resolve them. As it currently stands, from my perspective, they look like a bunch of sooks and are happy to throw away decades of history as one of the premier clubs in the Adelaide Plains because they are not getting their own way. It would be a shame for the long-time servants of their club, and of course the APFL. Time will tell!

I would contend that it's the league's problem to deal with club issues, such as those which Balaklava are allegedly wanting to leave for.
Any football club's focus should be on bettering their own club, not the league that they play in; the by-product of this would be that the league would benefit from having a strong club/clubs.

Given the board's seeming ineptness over many years, if I was on a club committee I wouldn't be in a hurry to try and fix the issues that the league is currently faced with at the detriment of making my own club better. I would also suggest that the history of a league is of little relevance to a club in comparison to the history of their own club.

Not all the issues that the league faces are able to be controlled by the clubs/league (i.e. player numbers), but behavioural or cultural issues which pertain to a club should be addressed by the league and the club themselves.

Each to their own though - I think it's clear through my response that I side with the footy club over most of the reasons that were floated as why they wanted to play footy in a different competition.
by Greggy Gregginson
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hopefully Balaklava genuinely attempt to resolve some of the key issues that have led to some of its members and players wanting to throw the toys out of the cot and play somewhere else. It is likley that some of the issues that Balaklava have raised align with those of other clubs around the competition - fingers crossed they show some leadership and attempt to work with the board and clubs to resolve them. As it currently stands, from my perspective, they look like a bunch of sooks and are happy to throw away decades of history as one of the premier clubs in the Adelaide Plains because they are not getting their own way. It would be a shame for the long-time servants of their club, and of course the APFL. Time will tell!

I would contend that it's the league's problem to deal with club issues, such as those which Balaklava are allegedly wanting to leave for.
Any football club's focus should be on bettering their own club, not the league that they play in; the by-product of this would be that the league would benefit from having a strong club/clubs.

Given the board's seeming ineptness over many years, if I was on a club committee I wouldn't be in a hurry to try and fix the issues that the league is currently faced with at the detriment of making my own club better. I would also suggest that the history of a league is of little relevance to a club in comparison to the history of their own club.

Not all the issues that the league faces are able to be controlled by the clubs/league (i.e. player numbers), but behavioural or cultural issues which pertain to a club should be addressed by the league and the club themselves.

Each to their own though - I think it's clear through my response that I side with the footy club over most of the reasons that were floated as why they wanted to play footy in a different competition.

And that pretty much sums up Balaklava in a nutshell :roll: I'm interested in your view of how fixing issues at league level will be at the detriment of making your club better?

Why would any other league want to take on a club that deals with issues in such a way. What happens if they don't get their own way in the next league?

I agree that not all issues at league level can be controlled by clubs, but many can if they are raised and attempts are made to work through these rather than scampering away because its seemingly all too hard.

Fixing issues at a league level is clearly not a detriment to any football club.
However, football club people having to spend their time working on fixing the issues of another club can be.
One club can’t control what another club is doing, outside of their delegates bringing their concerns to the league.

With this being said, the issues that were raised for Balak wanting to leave have been going on for years and all clubs not involved in creating these issues seem to have tried to take action. Unfortunately, for whatever reasons you want to attribute them to, there’s issues continue to persist.

I’m not involved in the club but as with anything in any part of life, at some point you cut your losses and move on.
Now that the league and the clubs know how seriously Balaklava Football Club are, it’ll be a big year (or a few) where changes need to be made or they’ll be back applying to move in another 10 months time.

The other way to look at this is that the APFL traditionally is a country competition.
With the expansion of the northern suburbs, Virginia, Angle Vale and now Two Wells are basically an extension of metro Adelaide.
With continued expansion, it makes sense for the country towns to look elsewhere to play given that in 10 years time, the population of those 3 areas may well make the league in its current state unviable for them all.
by Greggy Gregginson
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |