by Douglas Mawson
Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Whicker Retires

topsywaldron wrote:Olsen.

John sadly, not Mike.

That brings back some fond memories.

For my part I would prefer to sit awhile and enjoy the thought that Whicker is retiring....and later I'll get agitated about the replacement when, no doubt, he is picked from those already within "SANFL House".
by Douglas Mawson
Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Live scores

That was fun! After a scare in the third term. I'll be there next week on the Go Panthers bandwagon!!
by Douglas Mawson
Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final - Port v South @ Adelaide Oval (Sun 14

And the old line........

Q: What's the difference between a woolies trolley and an SANFL League Director?

A: You can fit more food and booze in a League Director.
by Douglas Mawson
Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 SANFL GRAND FINAL NORWOOD V PA RESERVES

Nah, let them bring their scarves which they've been told are original and unique and terribly clever....and don't brand them as mindless sheep that swallow the slops that drip out of Alberton at all. Let them think that their PortOneClubAcademyReservesMagPower spin doctors and lazy hypocrites never just copied an idea from Liverpool FC. Let them come in their confused branding of white, silver, teal and black lightning strikes and homo erotic fists and piping shrikes and let them be TORN APART as they were last week.

This GF is shite for the SANFL comp for so many obvious reasons, but at least as a Nwd, SANFL (and hence South) supporter I get to see my mob TEAR THEM APART twice in a fortnight.

Bring it! Go Legs!

And to the mindless brainwashed sheep, when you say "Pahr Pahr"', you do realize what you actually sound like?7
by Douglas Mawson
Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"How cute. Such a lovely post. :lol:

So just confirming :

Can I or can I not wear my scarfe? ( Most sports around the world have similar items, not unique to Port Adelaide, we are aware of that )

I may wear my Penrith Panthers hat, please confirm this is acceptable attire, I would hate to be turned away at the gate if dressed in a manner deemed unacceptable by you and your MONSFAW kindred.

Thanks mate. :lol:"

I know you did actually get my point Booney and you're just being impish. :lol:

That said, you can turn up in any combination of the confused branding your club puts out (you've got quite a few options), but your team still doesn't belong. It aint the Magpies anymore, its an AFL Reserves side....and that's a shame. And its a shame for supporters of SANFL clubs who want to watch their team contest finals against the Magpies.
by Douglas Mawson
Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Two days have passed and still feeling that buzz from when the siren sounded. Really proud of what that playing group has done this year and particularly the way they willed themselves through the final series.

A scattered bunch of ten unrelated thoughts:

1. Sturt could easily have won the qualifying final, and deserved to, and theirs and Nwd's finals campaigns would have been very very different. That day was an example of the Nwd structures and discipline overcoming a side that had far more of the football.

2. The third quarter by Port in the Second Semi was the standout quarter of the finals series - better than South's start in the Prelim and better than Nwd's start on the weekend. It was an eye-opener as to what the Magpies might do regularly next year.

3. Adelaide Oval had a saving role to play for the SANFL in crowd numbers for the finals series.

4. The start of the GF was notable in that one club's supporters so significantly out-numbered the other's - but that gradually reached a bit more parity as the Port supporters got there during the game.

5. The Magpies cheersquad has lost none of its passion and venom - they were as large in number, voice and agro as in pre-AFL days.

6. As I've posted before I'd prefer to see my mob contest finals against the Magpies, rather than somebody's AFL seconds team, BUT given the quality of the game on the weekend, and given that the seconds team looked like Magpies, and given that Nwd played with so much guts and determination to hang on, today I'll take that and revel in the GF win.

7. Later, hopefully much much later, my usual angry dark thoughts about this bastardised, conflicted and compromised competition (and my club's duplicity in the yes vote) will no doubt take over.

8. For now, congrats Nwd players- outstanding effort by Dugga and the boys.

9. Still surprised the siren in the last quarter went off so early.

10. It's generally harder to be an SANFL supporter thesedays. So much of what used to be just a simple passionate and parochial adventure each weekend where the only conspiracy theories revolved around umpiring :-) has been replaced by politics, conflicted agendas and spin. Such a shame.
by Douglas Mawson
Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

Cute.

Population of Kansas: 3
by Douglas Mawson
Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow! That's ruthless Cage.

Cold.
by Douglas Mawson
Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R u to b a member of ur favourite SANFL club in 2015?

Yep. Will renew my membership again...on the basis that my support for my club's players overcomes my frustrations with my club's administration and it's particular role in the yes vote.

And at this stage I expect I will renew my Panthers membership from last year.
by Douglas Mawson
Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Norwood VS Adelaide

I understand why self interest prevailed at the time but this is why I HATE dealing with the fact that my club voted "yes ". And in such a deceitful manner. So..........Norwood, you've voted for an opponent which does not bring an extra 400 supporters to games (let alone 4000), does not "play to the line", and throws it's petticoat over its head if the "State League" side is called the SANFL. And because this bunch of inbred boys club b-graders have no regard for the competition in which they field their confused mixed up,topped up bunch of reserves they have the temerity to dictate when these no contests are to take place, including in front of some people who pay money.Integrity? I used to think Pseudo was a crackpot Don Quixote who simply tilted at windmills...I'm a slow learner, but I get it now.
by Douglas Mawson
Mon May 04, 2015 12:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

The other thing that is offensive and patronising about the "move on" sentiment is the implicit argument that without the AFL reserves teams in the SANFL the competition would now decline further from its current state – and possibly even fail, so supporters should be "grateful for what they've got". On any view, the undeniable evidence of the falling crowds, is that despite Parkinson's galling and irresponsible spin, fan engagement in the competition has deteriorated. It's easy to say that the current decline is due only to the AFL teams' involvement when in fact a number of the clubs have been struggling financially for many years. That said, there are two identifiable features of the current competition for which the AFL clubs' presence is responsible and they are (i) the complete erosion of the integrity of the competition, and (ii) there are no "saviour" teams which have beneficially added to our league.

The news of this month brings into focus the real problem which confronts the SANFL:

Does it continue to pretend to accept the case sold by the two AFL clubs and allow their toxic inclusion in a compromised, unfair and uneven league in the hope that the AFL might one day genuinely spend some of its $2.5 billion on its "feeder" leagues with junior football programs?

Or does it accept that at least in the short term (and that may be the only term that is left for many of the disgruntled SANFL fans) the AFL's attention is absorbed by only growing the sport at the elite level and any AFL spend on "feeder" leagues or junior football will be confined to Auskick and disproportionate expenditure at the sub-elite level in New South Wales and Queensland?

And if the answer to the first question is "yes" then what a naiive and risk-laden business proposition. And if the answer to the second question is "yes" then what is the point of having both a ruined competition from an integrity point of view and no significant extra financial resourcing?

It's getting harder and harder to remain passionate about the SANFL, and my team's fortunes, for positive reasons - the reasons I grew up with when barracking for Norwood spoke to my soul. A lot of my "passion" these days seems to be borne of frustration.
by Douglas Mawson
Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The SANFL is saved! We have a new logo

Love it! The SANFL is finally implementing the action plans that fell out of that Strategic Planning weekend away. For me it exudes honesty, good faith, diligence, consistency and integrity. Good job. That's the logo sorted - now onto all that other easier stuff...
by Douglas Mawson
Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R14 - Norwood v South @ Coopers

Well that was the toughest game to watch this year since the debacle at Elizabeth. I thought that with the return of so many players over the last two weeks and the real endeavour shown for three quarters in each of the games against Sturt and Centrals recently that this horrible season might be beginning to turn around. Even that newfound endeavour dropped away today – particularly after halftime. There are many players down on confidence and form (Persinos and Georgiou stood out yesterday – but previously that has included Donahue and Forster) and our skills by hand and foot as a group have really fallen away. The structure that previously brought us so much success (and which is now attracting so much criticism from Norwood fans who think Dugga hasn't moved on) relied heavily on precision of ball movement by hand and foot. We are miles away from that precision at the moment.

South play very honest and accountable football and yesterday was probably a case of putting the "all played well" board up. They also have some really big bodied players with good skills and who took contested marks at critical times – particularly in the last quarter when South's big men stood out as wrestling the game away from Norwood. I like their style of footy.

For Norwood the positives included the good games by Panos and Cachia and the highlight of the past month has been the form of Chippendale. Without him we are probably letting another four goals in each game at the moment. His courage in his overhead marking is a feature. The negatives were exactly what the detractors have been complaining about all year – the only times we could be trusted to hit a target were when switching the play from one side of the ground to the other 70 m out from our goal with South letting us do that at will whilst they set up defensively in the 70 m in front of the Norwood players. Too often the choice was made to kick backwards to an unmarked player or sideways 15m to a marked player – but never 45m forwards to a marked player.

There are many many rules in SANFL football these days – particularly as we continue to yield to new rules set up at the behest of the AFL – but I'm yet to read about one which prohibits kicking the ball forward to a contest. I'm not convinced that Dugga specifically coaches the players to avoid doing that – but at the moment they lack the confidence to do so. I don't agree that " SACK BENNY" would achieve a thing at the moment.

We have some good forwards in form in the Reserves at the moment. It would be nice to see a big bodied "stay at home" forward playing behind Lewy just to try to straighten us up a bit. With the season well and truly over now there is an opportunity to have a look at some of these blokes playing at League level.

Time to hang tough now for the Norwood supporters who are known for being pretty fickle in times like these. The wheels on the bandwagon almost seized under the pressure towards the end of the 2010 - 2014 run. Now is the time to continue to "support" the coach and the players rather than only "spectate" upon them when you think they are going to win. Less than 2000 supporters turning up to a home game at the Parade is not good enough even in the current climate of declining SANFL crowds.
by Douglas Mawson
Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R21 - Port v Norwood @ Alberton

Missed Jim05's "support" but plenty to take from our second half today. First quarter and first half was right up there with our worst stuff that we've so often found in the last 12 months. Second half was so much better. Harry Viney had a standout 3rd term and the whole team got it together in the last. Jane Mitchell got a million useless possessions for The HomoErotic Fist One Club and Butcher was BOG (extraordinary!!). The last quarter was the most pleasurable I've watched this year. They talk about the
"gene pool" - it's a gene puddle at Alberton and even then most of them have never left the shallow bit.
by Douglas Mawson
Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

I am going to do this in a non-defamatory way but, Mods, feel free to kill it if you think it warranted:

I am genuinely interested in how John Olsen will reflect upon his time in public life when it ends. It is true to say that the privatisation of ETSA, the selling off of part of the SA water supply to United Water/Veolia, the inducements allegedly made to Motorola, and his resignation as Premier are some of the most heavily commentated issues in the recent history of this State. Decisions made on his watch by the League regarding allowing AFL clubs access to the SANFL competition on terms that have nothing to do with "competition" now rival some of the all time most commentated issues which have confronted the SANFL (and there have been plenty over the journey).

It will be an odd legacy to say the least. The scribes regularly say that service in public life should never be prioritised by a quest for popularity but by honesty, integrity, consistency etc.

I reakon* Olsen won't say he strove for popularity so he will probably give himself a tick for that. But how will he judge his outcomes on other criteria?

I should have thought that being Prez at a time when disenchantment with the integrity of the comp, falling crowd support, falling revenue, falling profile, loss of status nationwide, and the general negativity which the SANFL continuously now attracts as a sport, would be the last thing I would want on my watch. Certainly none of this is popular - so what other criteria could it possibly tick?

It will genuinely be interesting to catch up with him in say 10 years time when this current situation will most definitely have resolved itself (one way or another) and do the introspection dance.
by Douglas Mawson
Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ben Warren and Norwood part company!

Straightened us up beautifully in front of goals under Bass when every goal was a premium.

Two Premierships. In the best players in both. Kicked nearly half our score in 2013.

Coach of my equal favourite Premiership in 2014.

I understand why he's been moved on but he'll be remembered by me as one of the gems!

Cheers Ben
by Douglas Mawson
Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No Talent Flogs

Scott of the Antarctic
by Douglas Mawson
Fri May 03, 2019 4:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R13 Norwood v Sturt Friday 7.40

Sheesh it’s cold….and I say that with some experience.
by Douglas Mawson
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 finals series

Woeful performance
Will be out in straight sets if we produce this trash next week
Absolutely clueless forward entries, hopefully Rawlings tears the paint off the walls
I know you are our "yardstick" Jim and Lord knows there are far too many happy clappers in the Nwd story year on year - but I really think this one was a different finals game for us:

1. Cottonball is genuinely gone (except when Vardenega brings back echoes of it),
2. The contested ball is so much more akin to what's final-necessary; and
3. There is a willingness to try to hit up a tall up front.

The forward entries are wanting for a lack of skill not endeavour and the kids are coming on so much quicker under Twig.

We'll beat South.

We'll go again against the Eagles probably and quite frankly - bring it! The longer this year goes on the better.
by Douglas Mawson
Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R13 Norwood v North

It was cold. Nwd's game plan has gelled the last 2 weeks. Big couple of weeks coming up. South away followed by the Ravens. It was a high standard game today with lots of free flowing footy and some high marks. But some pretty dodgy umpiring which both sides were on the wrong side of at times. I fear Jack Heard may be destined for the AFL - apparently some interest from Richmond.

North supporters always travel well to the Parade and to be honest the Nwd supporters let the crowd size down today.

It was cold. Quite cold. I should know.
by Douglas Mawson
Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Current state of Supercars

It's become a NASCAR freight-train where some of the corners are right turns.
by Douglas Mawson
Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

No, the beat-up about the homeless folk is disgusting, No issues at all. We have a resident in our street (not homeless obviously) who entices gronks but that's CBD living. It's not Kansas.

When I retire I plan to volunteer at Hutt St Centre. Pat Moran is already retired - I expect to see him there.
by Douglas Mawson
Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |