Search found 135 matches

Return

Re: TDK's International Test Cricket Update's

whufc wrote:I'd have Tufnell in the likeable players......geez he was bang average but he had a fair dinkum crack and genuinely saw the funny side to his averageness.

Reminds me a lot of a cricketing James Blunt.

What about cook? Not great to watch but always seemed a solid bloke but I am English.
by batmanbegins
Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

3 hundreds in 3 tests for Daryll Mitchell, remarkable effort for a bloke that wouldn't have played if Nicholls was fit in the 1st test.
by batmanbegins
Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This in English team is incredibly imperfect but by God they have fully embraced the Stokes and Bax way of playing and honestly it's fun to watch. I'm happy they just have an identity now compared to just going around clueless as we have. There will be days we look stupid playing this way but hey we were shit trying to play conservative so I'm all for it.
by batmanbegins
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't think it's ridiculous to say we can beat you in england. The series was 2 all last time and we only had Jimmy for 4 overs the entire series. Our top 3 is a big issue obviously but I'd say you don't have a great opening pair in england and you will be very reliant on two guys as you were last time. Australia is favourites but we are certainly a chance in England due to conditions being more favourable for our bowlers.
by batmanbegins
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BDT - Meningie "In Principle" Merger for 2023

Hills Football League will be the next league to start going down this path. The difference between the div 1 sides and the div 2 sides is so massive and with so many div 2 sides struggling for numbers and overall competitiveness its only a matter of time.

Fair point on numbers. Don't think a grade in div 2 has been this even or competive or in many a year though.
by batmanbegins
Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

Hills started last week. Mylor had a rude awakening to A grade cricket with Healey going bonkers on them. Meadows smoked Bridgey and Uris beat in Scibs in a semi close one.

Aldgate appear to be the team to beat with Atkins, woolard and Clements back. Stirling will be up there again as will Mt lofty. Rest is a lottery with meadows losing a few but they still have the best player in the comp to win them plenty, Kangys appear to be in a but of strife with numbers, uris lack a bit of depth but have some quality, scibs are on the improve but just need a full side then you would say Bridgey and mylor will battle for the spoon. Should be a pretty good competition this year.
by batmanbegins
Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

4 rounds down in the Hills and it's looking about as even as it ever has. Weather obviously has ruined some games and some ovals certainly struggling to get up like stirling and aldgate.

Lofty are up and about with there big 3 in Healey, Neis-Beer and Carthew in fine form. Rohan is frankly incredible and is carrying a much weakened meadows side single handedly with bat and ball. Stirling keep winning although appear a bit weaker on paper then last year. Aldgate lost last week but Atkins has been a big in and when Clements come back I'd suggest them and Lofty are the top 2. Scibs have won 2 close ones but have a much tougher draw coming up which will see where they are at. Uris batting is quality with Wilson in fine form but lack of depth hurts them big time, kangys appear to have fallen away a little but Che and Knight will win them games. Mylor and Bridgey will make up the last 2 spots but they are more then competitive, mylors batting is just a big issue outside James and Bridgey probably a bit the same outside of Summerill and Hoyle. My prediction for final ladder:

Lofty
Aldgate
Stirling
Meadows
SCIBS
Uris
Kangy
Mylor
Bridgey
by batmanbegins
Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: T20, 2022 World Cup

Crazy to think 7 years ago we were a basket case In white ball cricket and now we are the T20 and 50 over champs. Incredible change led by Morgan and probably our greatest white ball player in Butler. Stokes is the man for an occasion but thought Rash changed the game with the Babar wicket and over
by batmanbegins
Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Stokes is letting himself down with the bat at the moment. I get the intent thing but whilst the rest are playing good cricket shots he's just outright slogging, did the same in the english summer but ine test against the saffers where he tonned up. He's much better then that.
by batmanbegins
Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I might be in the minority but that sort of score isn’t good viewing and isn’t good for cricket

I don't think you are.

Let's face it, there is only one result possible if the pitch stays this way. The game is already dominated by the bat and this does nothing to draw people to the game or back to the game.

Stokes said there would be no draws this series, he'd make sure of it. Fascinated how he can make that happen here without losing the game.
by batmanbegins
Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just one of the great test wins, no one had the right to win on that pitch. This england side led by stokes just has something about it and a bravery that should be commended. They are making test cricket extremely relevant and unlike the Aussies (yes that's a dig) they are capturing the imagination of the English people which it really needs at test level. 7 out of 8 tests since stokes took over we have won, just a remarkable turnaround from the previous 17 tests.
by batmanbegins
Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

DOC wrote:So you are saying the Aussies are not capturing the imagination of the English people.

Hard to argue.

:lol: well played
by batmanbegins
Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Got a real good one in Harry Brook. Looks a star of the future.
by batmanbegins
Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Honestly this is a remarkable turnaround from where we were 12 months ago in the ashes. 9 out 10 tests won, beating India, SA, Kiwis and now the Pakis is pretty good. No clue how it will fare against the Aussies but it will be darn entertaining and I'd say this is one of the most anticipated ashes since 2005.
by batmanbegins
Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian tour of India 2023

Hell of a catch by Rahul. Uzzie looked on to.

Aussies need minimum 300 here as this pitch isn't that bad at all.
by batmanbegins
Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Does Handscombe need to go up the order.

as much as i dont like him, he has done nothing wrong in either test, puts a high value on his wicket

Terrific player of spin. He will bat 5 next text, with green at 6. I'd personally open with head and drop warner but will they drop warner probably not.
by batmanbegins
Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

6 test wins on the trot and 10 out of 11 since stokes became captain. Remarkable turnaround in a year.

Stokes and Baz's ability to make the players believe and feel comfortable within themselves is second to none.
by batmanbegins
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No hatred from me. Absolutely admire his longevity and in particular his commitment to test cricket.

Maybe slightly unfairly i probably put him in a similar category to Warner. He's absolutely in the greats discussion but his away record averaging 30.45 per wicket with a strike rate of 64 probably has him a bit behind some of the other great bowlers we've seen. (eg McGrath was 22 home/21 away).

In saying that its probably the nature of being a genuine swing bowler in which you do need some favorable conditions. Could be the greatest genuine swing bowler ever. Depends on if you consider Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Richard Hadlee swing bowlers.

Bit unfair to say he's warner like. Jimmy had one of the great bowling series in India in 2012 for us to win there and was fantastic In 2010/11 here to for us to win. His average would be inflated due to how poor he was early in his career away from home. He's been our best bowler away from home for the last decade and I'd say his average if you just looked over that period away from home would be much better then 31.

Hes not in the McGrath class but he's still just had a wonderful career.
by batmanbegins
Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cracking game. Well done Kiwis.
by batmanbegins
Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Was in the car listening to SEN call (well Dwayne Russell) call the last few overs.... Bazzball didn't get them home afterall. O didn't think anyone enforced the follow on anymore!

I bet you stokes will do the exact same thing next time, he's cut from a different cloth and isn't scared of results not going his way.
by batmanbegins
Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Herculian effort by the veteran Neil Wagner
One of the greatest fast bowlers with an old ball Ive seen
Often finds a way to take wickets at a time when batsmen should be cashing in

Some may ridicule him and say he's a one trick "over the hill" pony but gee you cant doubt the effort the guy plays with and the passion he brings to the team. Hit back to have the last laugh after getting towelled up his previous 2 innings against England.
Great competitor that must be admired.

He got embarrassed by Brook this series but to come back like he did just shows the character of the man. He is just full of heart and got everything he could possibly could out of his career.

Also watching SA, how did Markram not come to Australia? Just criminal selection by SA.
by batmanbegins
Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

India are down hill skiers.

Probably a tad unfair considering they have won the last 2 series in Australia and the last test series here was pretty remarkable with there blokes out. I reckon they just expected to win once they won the toss but got the shock of there life. They have serious issues with there top to middle order though with no pant to save them.
by batmanbegins
Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Couple cracking finals in the HCA this weekend.

First Semi Lofty V Stirling. Arch rivals these two with a bit of dislike and animosity between the two just adds to this. Stirling had luck go there way last week to come from 4th to 2nd and get the double chance. Who will have the better duo out of Healey & Carthew V Gonzalez and Read probably decides the result but i reckon Stirling to steal this in a tight one.

Elimination Final -Meadows V Aldgate. You line these two up on paper and there is no argument Aldgate are much better but Meadows have Rohan and Haydn. If Rohan can carry this Meadows team to a flag its his greatest achievement. Aldgate with Atkins, Clements and Callaghan should dominate Meadows bowling but can they stop Rohan? Aldgate to win this comfortably.
by batmanbegins
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

For years I have always disliked the Australian side the most as an English supporter but always respected them outside of a few. India after this series and the last few years have just become my most disliked cricketing nation, they genuinely ruined what should have been one of the best series going around by producing 4 very average pitches. They did this against England after they beat them in the first test 2 years ago and have done so for to long now. India are a quality side that dont need to basically cheat to win. I hope Australia smash them in the WTC final.
by batmanbegins
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ashes 2023

Yep Archer ruled out as England name their squad for the test against Ireland.

Almost unbelievably Ben Foakes has been dropped and Zak Crawley retains his spot which has already come with backlash online. Foakes is f**king stiff and Crawley is the luckiest bloke in England, more lucky than David Warner.

Ollie Pope has been named Vice Captain.

Ben Stokes (c), James Anderson, Jonathan Bairstow, Stuart Broad, Harry Brook, Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Dan Lawrence, Jack Leach, Ollie Pope (vc), Matthew Potts, Ollie Robinson, Joe Root, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood.

Spewing about Archer was hoping we could rotate him and Wood, especially if we are going to produce flat wickets.

The Foakes dropping is ridiculous, he added a solid dimension to that middle to lower order plus hes the best glovemen in the world. Bairstow has to play honestly I'd rather he just open for Crawley. Crawley will get demolished this ashes.
by batmanbegins
Wed May 17, 2023 11:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2023 ICC World Test Championship Final

Not looking forward to listening to Nasser Hussain commentating the Ashes if last night was his standard!

Yet you walked past Langer and Hayden. :lol:

Langer was horrible

Much rather listen to Nasser then Langer and Hayden. Nasser at least doesn't dominate the mic and waffle on. Can't believe they think Langer on commentary is good.
by batmanbegins
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Starc will play due to point of difference if nothing else. Left arm, 150k, swinging new ball.. dangerous.
And the rough he creates for Lyon.

He hasnt created much rough this test because he's hardly bowled because hes bowling rubbish, going at 6s and doesnt look like taking a wicket. IMO the ashes will be lost before it gets started if we pick Starc in the first 2 tests before realising that hes no good, the selectors were happy to drop Head in India in a horses for course policy but the same isnt shown for bowlers from NSW in England. His bowling there is as bad as Warners batting.
We need to learn some lessons from this Final

Starc isn't really needed in england as pace isn't quite is relevant. If I were you I'd play Cummins, Boland and Hazlewood. With hazlewoods injury concerns you could probably play him 3 tests and starc the other 2. If it's a green seamer I personally would play Neser over starc. Either way it's a quality bowling line up and going to be fascinating watch us try to "bazball" it.
by batmanbegins
Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Anderson with a 1/100 ish may have him struggling to keep his place also.
They'll keep him in though hoping he'll find his rythym in the second test.
Bazball v ozball hasn't worked out for them this test so it'll be interesting to see if there's any change to their second innings batting strategy.

Wood comes in for Ali and dare I say it Woakes comes in for Jimmy to sure up the batting a bit also. If its a green seamer then keep Jimmy but I think Lords will be flat.

I disagree about bazball not working, sure there is a few average looking dismissals but we win this test with a better keeper. We can not beat you playing the same as you because your simply a better team. If you look at each teams 11 we might win 3 out of the 11 spots. There is a reason we won 1 out of 17 tests prior to stokes taking over playing the Australian style.

Also Robinson is the most dislikeable English player in a long time, I canr even stand him.
by batmanbegins
Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Was clearly out and just a stupid move by Jonny. Summed up his test really.

Stokes was incredible, it is kind of frustrating he only bats like this in the biggest moments because he is a better bat then his stats suggest.

We had everything go our way this test and still lost, not great signs unfortunately.
by batmanbegins
Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Commonsense would say that the Starc catch should be out and the Bairstow stumping should be not out. The letter of the law says otherwise and I understand the 3rd umpire has to go by it. It wouldn't take much to adjust the laws to say otherwise. Starc clearly caught it in every way and he didn't use the ground to assist him in taking the catch. What is the difference between taking the ball two hands and throwing it in the air and taking the ball with two hands and shifting it to his left as he braced himself to hit the ground. The ball at no stage spilled or bobbled. Bairstow had ducked under the bouncer, already in his crease, marked his crease and walked out to do some gardening and meet his partner mid-pitch. Granted, he did it in Fast Forward. For me, commonsense says he's shouldn't be out for that.

However, it is all about context. The fact that Starc's catch was disallowed the evening before on a technicality. The fact that Bairstow had tried to do exactly the same thing on day 3 to Labuschagne and had also tried to get Head out when he almost walked out of his crease and said to Head he would've claimed his wicket. The arrogance of the English with this Bazball cult. The situation of the game and the series.

Carey did nothing sneaky. He caught the ball and immediately threw it, Bairstow still in his crease. Bairstow's habit of walking off quickly without consideration of what was happening behind him and Carey's skill to hit the stumps gave the 3rd umpire no choice. If Cummins withdraws the appeal, what does that do for team morale and how does that make Carey feel. I am glad Cummins stuck to his guns and am comfortable with how the Australians handled it. Don't give them an inch. I think the English are hypocritical and the way the crowd at the ground and in the long room acted was moronic. The Spirit of Cricket is a thing, but England, Stokes and McCullum haven't displayed that and calling Australia out on it is pretty pathetic.

Can't wait for Headingley.

The perfect retort, send this to the MCC.

Kinda disagree with Marnus comparison as he was actually batting out of his crease, but either way the way we are acting is absolutely ridiculous. Was clearly out and JB just had a brain fart, stop crying and focus on winning the game playing smarter cricket.
by batmanbegins
Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well batted Mitch Marsh, seems like a cracking lad so was really to nice to see even as an opposing supporter.

My word though if we could stop talking dribble about how we want to play our cricket to entertain the people and just get the basic rights that would be delightful. You know what would entertain me you blokes holding onto a bloody catch, can't win matches dropping this many chances.
by batmanbegins
Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Armchair expert wrote:Wasnt a good idea letting the players select a friend not a coach.

You just won the WTC and are 2 1 up in the ashes in a place you haven't won in 20 years. Maybe a bit of an overreaction. Listening to Langer on commentary I can see why they got sick of him.
by batmanbegins
Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The big downside of our aggressive batting approach coming through now with the toll it takes on your bowlers to keep coming back so soon, especially with an old or injury prone attack. No doubt if Australia wins this then there long term approach has paid dividends and they can tell england to be quiet.

Just a massive day of cricket to come.
by batmanbegins
Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer 2023/24

Henry and Phillips have been awesome this series. Good to see NZ have some decent young bowlers also in Sears and O'Rourke coming through because southee is done and that Kuggelain fella is garbage.
by batmanbegins
Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Stokes form is a big concern. He's not justifying his spot at 6, however Bairstow also isn't at 5. Brook will come back in for the English summer obviously and I assume they will drop foakes and keep bairstow. However, the inconsistency of Jonny and Stokes with the bat has plauged this team for almost a decade now. The two openers continue to be positives, Pope still looks like a cat on a hot tin roof just stop trying to much for christ sake. We never had the spinners to compete in India anyway and no shame losing to a team that is almost unbeatable there.
by batmanbegins
Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |