victor
Myponga sellicks
mt compass
by oldbomber
Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: River Murray Football League talk

If meningie dont get a few extra points plus a few other concessions from the league here and there due to their location and low population how on earth do you expect them to be competitive with the bridge teams (or dont you like a contest UTB?) who get first choice of all upcoming juniors, have access to more players by simply having 5+times the population base of meningie plus the advantage of being closer to adelaide for potential recruits?

an even competition is what everyone wants, fact is its going to take quite some time to get to with points systems, salary cap implementation etc on the agenda. have heard its only their 3rd flag since they have been in rmfl so its not as though they are a protected species by any means and looks like they have been down for quite a while previously so as a club they obviously had to work their backsides off to get the top, maybe everyone else is better off working harder to catch up to them rather than cry about it on here...
by oldbomber
Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Re: Points System Is Crucifying Country Footy

If small country clubs are happy to fundraise and pay out $ to keep their town alive or chase success good on them I say as football is so critically important in these communities.

Points system means well by rewarding loyalty but doesnt reward hard working clubs who achieve success, it penalizes them and has pushed player payments up so needs tweaking.

Salary cap is a joke and I hope struggling clubs in particular just do what they need to do to survive!

SANFL and SAAFL both have massive population bases to choose players from yet are a bunch of sooks. They have no idea what country clubs go through just to put their team on the park and hence keep their communitys alive each year and instead of changing the rules to suit them how about they use their energy fundraising or finding a way to keep their players.
For example 50bux a game for SANFL ressies and expected to train 4 or 5 times a week or 300-800 in some cases for twice a week trg out in country on apprentice wages is not a hard choice.

CFL makes all these rules and I for one wont mind one bit if country leagues tell them where to go. Long live country footy!
by oldbomber
Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Division 3 (C grade)

Really? Was at footy the other day and Milang have a great deck but would the lights be up to it? Hoping milang can cause what would be a huge upset and come home with the flag!
by oldbomber
Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Division 3 (C grade)

Its not like the hills footy league to make dodgy decisions...said no one ever.

Are these the same peanuts in charge of div 3 that sorted out relegation issues between div 1 and 2 so well oh hang on no they changed their minds about echunga coming up to div 1 initially then lost 60+k in court costs the following year because they cant even word their own documents correctly.

As stated earlier milang deck is in mint condition, if blackwoods isnt then move it...whats the drama? Im a fan of rotateing grand finals to all clubs so no issues with a home gf if a team is lucky enough to play in one or changing location if a club cant sort their oval out for a big game.

If it is the same people involved higher with hills fl that have backflipped and stuffed up on another decision then shame on them, again.
by oldbomber
Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Riverland Football Chatter

Moorook Gun Lenny Campbell & ex Tea Tree Gully Div 1 Player Ben Noske both to Ramco, Big INS!
Any news on O'Gorman?

Latest news, he still has no hair but has said he will lead Ramco to the flag. Do yourself a favour and lock it in

Does anyone give newbies sedan cambrai a chance in the independants comp. Should they be competitive or you think ramco are just gonna have to much for anyone? Whats peoples thoughts about them coming in particularly with regard to travel? Good or bad for the comp overall?
by oldbomber
Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Points System Is Crucifying Country Footy

Was in a meeting today with a number of country footy people. Some are playing by the CFL rules and a bucket load aren't, is what I learnt.
Some say they will stick to the rules, but it is already badly effecting their ability to recruit players and they blame the salary cap.
The other clubs, said they'll just do as they please and play by their own rules. It seems as if it's a 50/50 split as to who's doing what.

What do you think will happen next year and the year after, when these clubs who struggle to recruit and are playing by the rules finish last?

Got a fair idea after listening to people chattering today. Playing by the rules will only last a season or two judging by the mood of some people.
Clubs their members and supporters in parochial country towns won't let clubs sit at the bottom of the cellar for too long. The members and sponsors will only put up with finishing last for a few seasons, before they refuse to abide by ridiculous rules that are impossible to police.

There is no easy answer that will work for everyone. It would be nice if equalisation was simple but it isnt. I think the salary cap is irrelevant, it can not be policed and is a lame attempt at self preservation by the amateurs who cant keep up with the fund raising out in the country. The one thing for certain is that the big spending clubs who can raise the money will continue to raise it and spend it legally or pay under the table. This will happen and whether it be required just to put a team on the park each week or be successful and go after premierships its more about basic survival in the long run.

It is getting harder and harder to put a team on the park in country footy each week and therefore keep small towns alive. Only the strong will survive... possibly being those clubs with the most passion and ability to raise funds...these things are important for the future

We live in a ever changing landscape where rural populations are declining along with numbers at grass root level across the board going to other sports or not having time to play footy anymore etc. Unfortuneatly it appears there is a bidding war that has broken out between country and city/amateur football for the players available. I personally believe city/amateurs doesnt have the same level of community, passion, support and atmosphere in general that is evident out in the country with regard to footy and if they did they wouldnt be trying to implement bull#$%! rules and restrictions they would take country footy on head first and try and beat them fair and square in fundraising...but they cant as the pure fact is they dont have the same level of desire, passion and sense of community that sporting clubs posess out in the country.

Hopefully somehow these small rural towns and clubs keep fighting to survive. its such an australian thing to be having a kick out in the paddock in the middle of nowhere with your mates and I enjoy nothing more than driving down the rural highways on a saturday past a town with as little as a silo and a footy oval in it, pulling over to watch a game crack a tinnie and have a chat with the locals. Cant do that in the city! Its awesome to find hundreds of people enjoying a day out at our great game and whilst i wish them well ultimately i couldnt give two shits about city/amateur footy solely because of their attempt at self preservation to enforce rules on country clubs and leagues because they cant beat or compete with them fairly.

Despite the difficulties faced and tough times ahead I sincerely hope this great australian tradition of grass roots footy out in the country continues on for many many years to come and can only hope country clubs and leagues to do what they need to in order to survive regardless of whether thats playing by the rules or not....
by oldbomber
Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Points System Is Crucifying Country Footy

The name of this thread would be more accurate if it read...... the points system is crucifying clubs that have no idea when it comes to recruiting the right people and/or sustainably managing it's player payment system.

It could also be named. "The points and salary cap system, is currently crucifying country clubs so the SANFL Reserves are propped up and the SAAFL clubs who can't match the country clubs with recruiting, money, administration or volunteers, have devised a system where they think it will be tougher for country clubs to afford and attract city based players away from the city" No point in sugar coating the reasons

I don't disagree, but is it not a step in the right direction? Be interested to hear how you think they should approach and deal with the dilemma oyster if a salary cap and points system is not the answer? Yes, each strategy has their problems - but it is a complex issue.

SANFL clubs in particular need to lift their game if they think it is ok to expect young blokes on apprentice wages or studying to train 4-5 nights a week and play saturday for minimal $$$.

These guys go well out in the country for less of a commitment and get compensated better for their time plus help keep declining numbers up out in country footy. Country clubs are struggling to retain numbers and have identified an area where they can recruit players and these often small rural clubs are beating the SANFL at retaining young players because they can provide better overall opportunities and often more enjoyable conditions to play footy. If the SANFL reserve comp was so awesome to be part of why would players consider leaving? Its not.

To the people saying you should just invest and develop your juniors, thats great in theory but i cant name too many country clubs with small populations saying we have excess juniors to even consider this. Often kids leave the country when they turn 18 anyway as their just isnt the jobs to keep them all local.

Bottom line is country is struggling for numbers overall and if the people involved in these clubs to put it simply have more passion and are prepared to work harder to raise money through sponsorship and recruit players to keep their club going then that is no reason to change the rules because city folk and big bullies like the SANFL simply cant match their desire to be successful and keep their footy club and town alive.
by oldbomber
Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Saw another coward punch yesterday in an Independent game, the 2nd in less than a season. Both times, in true coward fashion, the offender bolted for the interchange to avoid retribution. This behaviour, combined with frequent cheap shots is a blight on the league. With the shortage of umpires resulting in inexperienced club volunteers putting their hands up, this behaviour becomes impossible to keep in check. I know some leagues now video all games. Is this something that needs to be considered?
A shame to hear that. Umpires cant see everything so yeah a lot of leagues do video every game for many reasons not limited to resolving scoring disputes to providing better player safety which im all for. Im also of the opinion now days these incidents can be a legal issue cowards punches should be treated the same weather its at a pub or on the footy field and its time these gutless scumbags were held accountable.

Perhaps even the club itself, i believe in the Saafl if a club has a player suspended all grades lose 2 premiership points...dont know the full ins and outs but i believe a salisbury club missed finals in a grade last year for b and c grade indiscretions. Whatever it takes to stamp it out im all for.
by oldbomber
Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A lot of sooking going on here about Waikerie. If they are winning flags using the least amount of points obviously they have a great club culture, tight playing group, have put the time into their juniors, kept locals onside and are riding the crest of the wave at the moment from their previous hard work.

As for salary cap slander i question how many clubs are actually playing by the rules...with 1 marquee player allowed at 1k per game and no other single player meant to get more than just 500. I would question any club with more than 1 big name recruit!

At the end of the day...Don't get bitter. Get better
by oldbomber
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kowree Naracoorte Football League

The article states the club did not sanction or fund the sign on fees yet they are in breach of the rules and going to wear the penalty for it.

Raises more questions than answers at this stage. Hopefully once it is sorted all is revealed so other clubs know what not to do...

Who paid this sign on? What was their position in the club? Could the club have done anything to stop this? How did they come unstuck?

im tipping quite a few clubs in kntfl are not doing everything 100% right when it comes to the new salary cap rules. You only have to look at the amount of quality players travelling several hours from adelaide to play country footy in knt...they are not doing it for small pocket change!

The Sanfl and amateurs are just trying to protect their declining brands and player numbers yet they cant match the fund raising and community spirit on show by these rural population disadvantaged towns.

Overall i dont think these salary cap rules are fair to small country clubs fighting for success and in some cases survival. How dare the scumbags in the Sanfl tell clubs what they can and cant spend their money on. Kyby won 5 games for the year and are simply doing what many other clubs are...unfortuneatly they are just the ones who got caught this time around.
by oldbomber
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sounds like BSR are in a fair bit of strife and future looking grim
Yep. Sounds like they are really struggling for numbers. Independant comp really needs to keep every team they can with just 14 rounds as it is draw is very fair playing each team twice. Hopefully they can rally put a team on the park and get competitive again soon

I know it is a rather touchy subject & don't want to upset anyone but at what point is it all to much for the Riverland to run both leagues?

Sounds like Loxton & Loxton North are struggling numbers wise, not just seniors but also juniors. Can Loxton keep feeding both RFL clubs plus Wunkar & Brownswell?

Every community deserves a football club but each year, it seems to get harder & harder......
Thats a fair question and one worth discussing. If loxtons 2 teams are struggling down the track they may have to merge meaning rfl back to 5 teams. This would be more sustainable hopefully.

Rifl just hangs on as long as it can after that as far as im concerned. Explore options such as 16 a side and comp just runs until you are down to 3, 4 or 5 clubs and they collectively pull pin much like they did in mid murray league st some point. Juniors are nearly done so maybe it will just be a senior comp similar to millewa football league in victoria. Sadly Rifl might really struggle in next 5-10 years to keep its head above water. Hope it finds a way as like you said rural communities need their footy and netball club to survive.
by oldbomber
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BL&G Football League

Pretty piss poor by Freeling really. To announce this after June 30 clearance cut off disadvantages their players preventing them playing elsewhere also after fixture was released. A deliberate and calculated move perhaps?

I agree with an earlier post as soon as they said they were not going to be competitive the rest of their statement just doesnt stack up at all. This so called extra work which is not really that bad as plenty of other clubs are making the effort yet they will do this extra work for juniors and womens comps so its a joke they wont put in the same effort for their senior footy sides.

Have they taking the easy option to throw in the towel for reasons not explained, clearly their statement contradicts itself at certain stages. Maybe their imports were not prepared to come for free i dont know but i think they could not have handled this worse at such late notice. They will miss out on opportunities to raise decent funds this year due to no player payments and think they may struggle next year for their poor, late and unprofessional decision making this year. Well done to all the other clubs with a can do attitude. Great for small communities to have local footy back!
by oldbomber
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great Southern Football League

I actually went and watched the W v Y game . WOW .. Yank were very very average . Willunga were very good. How much the one off sets the other is another argument. Yanks short 45 degree kicking game plan will never work , they don't have the skill and also it is so predictable you can read it from the sidelines. Thomas and Fittock out yesterday , not certain who the other 3 were Tiger . Also you would have to wonder why Yank would play a 38/9 year old bloke from KI ahead of some of the young local lads running around in the 2's. Tigers played with 15 of 15 points

Demons played with 4 of 9 points.

That’s a huge difference

Should be more than 15 pts as Tigers have been getting some favours from the league too. One ex strath player is meant to be worth points still however league ok'd to wipe him to zero because he lives locally is what i am hearing. An absolute joke if true. Plenty of gun footballers moved town with work and didnt get a free ride from the league.
by oldbomber
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The SANFL are aware of the situation but yet to intervene. Are they pretending they don’t know anything about it or just as weak as the GSFL Execs?[/quote]

Or maybe it's been looked into and they've ruled that it's ok. As ballbreaker said someone show some facts and not just salty keyboarders.[/quote]

The facts are;

Mount Compass have been allocated 11 points for 2021.

Round One: Mount Compass played with 13 points.
Round Two: Mount Compass played with 12 points.
Round Three: Mount Compass played with 11 points, however Tom Dix played as a zero point player (should be a three pointer).
Round Four: No issue.
Round Five: No issue.
Round Six: Mount Compass played with 11 points, however Sam Haniford played as a one point player (should be a two pointer).

These are FACTS.

Now, we want to see FACTS from the GSFL or SANFL that says they have either approved Mount Compass to breach the Player Points Allocation or are going to be sanctioning the Club. They are keeping opposition Clubs and members in the dark and bringing the League into disrepute.

For me, the PPA is black and white. You cannot change a players points value. The League can increase a Clubs points allocation, but when Mount Compass have been made six consecutive finals series, to increase their points allocation would ludicrous.

Haniford has played senior football for North Adelaide, Tom Dix won a Mail Medal in 2017 - we’re not talking about fringe A Graders here either.

So, tell everyone what the ruling is or that it is still being investigated.[/quote][/quote]

^^^Great post . Could not agree more. GSFL need to grow a pair of balls do their job and make a long over due statement on this serious issue that wont go away and if what they have done is not legal within the rules then appeals need to be lodged with CFL or Sanfl and Mt compass club need to be held accountable once and for all.

If the above facts are correct, It would appear they have breached rules and cheated in 4 of the first 6 games. If guilty they need to be severly punished, stripped of premiership points and fined. If that is incorrect then GSFL needs to put this one to bed well before the finals series. The other 9 clubs are doing the right thing and deserve an answer once and for all from these absolute muppets at gsfl who have let it go on for way too long.
by oldbomber
Sun May 16, 2021 10:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^^^I dont beleive its incompetence any more now the GSFL has made a statement. For me the fact they dont explain how a 3 pt player is a zero reeks of absolute corruption. It has been stated in numerous posts as per the rules clubs are responsible for player points allocations and leagues do not have authority to change a players points allocation. The fact this has happened shows a clear breach by the league who to me is ultimately responsible for this cluster f#@% 100%.
I am satisfied mt. Compass have no case to answer at this stage however i dont think their team is playing within the rules of the game and should be punished after the GSFL is and needs to be investigated by the SANFL or CFL whoever it is and over ruled as they are blatantly disreguarding black and white rules to give one club an unfair advantage. It is so black and white its not so much incompetence but it must be corruption. They GSFL had their chance to explain and didnt! Says it all for me
by oldbomber
Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Do not bother to read the rules, as it appears to me that the President is the sole interpreter of the rules.
Due to the GSFL copping it massively mainly on facebook at the moment with all this and to make this whole situation even more laughable a mate told me players have been warned to watch what they say online as the league is trying to rapidly implement a use of social media bylaw that would potentially have people who post innapropriate comments or ones that show the GSFL leaders true colours with facts sent straight to the tribuneral. Lol

Club delegates need to remind theGSFL they are supposed to represent all of the clubs and have a duty to do so fairly with respect to the rules set by the SANFL and CFL. They have not done this and now need to be held accountable as they think they are bullet proof and can just break the rules to suit one club whenever they feel like it. Its time for club heirachy to go over the head of GSFL and demand a thorough investigation by the SANFL that gets to the bottom of this situation once and for all where results are made public and those responsible within GSFL are releived of their duties due to what appears to be an abuse of power. As they chose not to explain the Dix situation in oarticular there is more than enough facts and evidence to make a few personnel changes and get this ladder corrected with premiership points deducted in time for finals to still give Mt Compass a chance to legitimately contend for the premiership this year.
by oldbomber
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: River Murray Football League talk

Channel 7 saying the RMFL have banned the bloke who recorded it from attending games.

That's pretty ******, in my opinion.

Especially considering they likely used that very footage to dole out the suspension to the Meningie bloke.

Not really, it stops unlicensed parasites trying to make money for free off the leagues.

I think you'll find a lot of leagues have something similar in place nowadays.

Very similar to the permits given by the AFL to be able to write anything about the AFL. It's all about protecting the brand.

Sounds like there was quite a bit of buildup to this incident that could all be looked into if they were interested in actually getting to the bottom of it. Potentially according to the video evidence more than one player could have been suspended too but anyway its been sorted and clubs have accepted outcome and both chose not to take it further for whatever reason.

This video being spread online embarassed the rmfl and basically forced them to act. It is not part of the game and RMFL had a chance to come down hard.

Overall incident has been somewhat poorly handled from the rmfl and laughable they try to discipline a supporter filming his brother despite him providing clear evidence of an offence that would only assist and add to their investigation.

Yes they outsource and film a lot of games these days but they dont get every incident on tape and if every day supporters can catch an incident ensure people are accountable for their actions we may limit these type of incidents moving forward which is preferable.

The fact the RMFL suspended the bloke who filmed an assault for longer than the bloke who committed the crime shows how low their iq is. Hope the bloke legally challenges this as if someone wanted to press assault charges this evidence would stand up and be admissable in a court of law.

Its hard for officials to get every incident right but they have clearly missed the mark with the supporter and according to some duration of suspension for the puncher. One can only hope next time the RMFL handles the situation much much better.
by oldbomber
Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |