Search found 90 matches

Return

Re: NBA

I'm still surprised the biggest front-runner in NBA history would take on a shambles of a team like the Knicks. That piece of crap James Dolan must have thrown a ton of cash at him.

If Phil Jackson stays true to form he'll walk away at the end of the season if the Knicks don't get the #1 pick. Then come straight back the next year if they do get the #1 pick lol
Phil has always said one day he would come home to the Knicks.
I admire him for doing so in our current state and I believe he has even underestimated the job ahead. I hope he is in for the long haul but reckon Dolan will piss him off that much that he will be gone sooner than later

If he does transform the Knicks into anything at all resembling a contender it will be easily the most impressive off-court feat he's ever been a part of. Far more difficult than sitting back and watching Jordan add championships to his resume.

I think all Knicks fans should send Dolan an e-mail congratulating him on the fine job he's done, he responds very well to that!

You guys do know he didn't take over the bulls when they were winning championships? He was also an assistant for a couple of years there. At the time, Jordan was ridiculed for not being able to win the big games. Jackson put together so much of that dynasty. When Jordan left, they STILL made the conference semis. He also didn't take over the Lakers in the middle of their championship run. That was another he was a big part of creating. Perhaps he didn't take over lottery calibre teams but he also didn't just "Sit back" and watch.
by Grahaml
Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pro Wrestling Talk

Putting it out there. Heyman will cost lesnar the title...
by woodublieve12
Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: West Coast Eagles Season 2015

Liam Duggan has been impressive in the WAFL so far this year.

I think he's set for an AFL debut very soon.
by westozfalcon
Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your top 5 cricket books

1. WG Grace - Simon Rae

This is a brilliant book about the Great Cricketer that I have read and reread on many occasions. This book does not diefy WG and presents a 'warts and all' look at perhaps the most controversial figure in Cricket history. When you read this book you will soon learn how WG Grace was perhaps the first sport 'superstar'. He was bigger than the game itself and his dominance over his peers almost rivals Bradman. Brilliantly written with some excellent cricket and non-cricket photographs and with a solid statistical summation as well.

2. Jack Fingelton: The man who stood up to Bradman - Geoff Growden

Growing up I thought of Jack Fingleton like many others did at the time, just one of many jealous peers of the incomporable Don who were making whine with sour grapes. However after reading this book it is clear there are not only two sides 'to the story' but there were also two sides to the Australian dressing room at the time in relation to religous divisions as in Catholics and Church of England. A massive bone of contention between Jack and Don over the many decades was the infamous press 'leak' at the Bodyline test in Adelaide. Both men (journalists) strenously denied that they were the source of the leak and it something that Fingleton never forgave Bradman for an vice versa. A fascinating read and a comprehensive inside look at the dressing room of a bygone era.

3. Calling all Cricketers - The NSWCA Coaching Manual.

I first read my Grandfather's copy of this book on school holidays. Why oh why didn't I pay attention! A very thorough book with step by step photos of where your body should be and how to perform the correct techniques of various skills of the game showing pictures of the star players of the day such as Keith Miller and Ray Lindwall and Lindsey Hassett. It also has what seems to be a quaint chapter today on crickett ettiquette which is worth the read alone. Not many manuals are good reading but this one is. As a junior coach I still refer to this volume today.

4. The Reasons Why - Bob SImpson

After Greg Chappell, Rod Marsh and Dennis Lillee quit, Australia were shit. Allan Border was the last one standing and a bit like Bomber at Geelong before the flags came, we had one man trying to do everything. Enter, and not for the first time when we were in trouble, RB Simpson. Bobby didn't don the whites like he did during the WSC days but his legacy was even more enduring this time around. He became out Cricket coach. Bob's methods soon gave us our swagger back and this book is an excellent depiction of the period from when Simpson first got the gig to the successfull Ashes tour of 1989 and the confrontational series against the West Indies in 1991. Allan Border has been rightly recognised for his efforts to bring Australia back to where they should be but Bob Simpson's role in our resurgence cannot be underestimated. One downside of this book is he is a bit on the defensive at times as you can see by the title.

5. Lambs to the Slaughter - Graham Yallop

Graham Yallop is perhaps one of the saddest cricketers in history. Not in the tragical Hughes or broken hero Larwood sense but here was a man with immense talent who was literally fed to the English Lion. Graham Yallop's 'Lambs' were slaughtered 5-1 by a full strength English team in 1978-79 as Australia went in without the gun WSC players. Even worse, Yallop did a 'Glen McGrath' and predicted a whitewash. With only five tests in three years prior to being made Captain Yallop was hopelessly out of his depth and this book is a cry of anguish from a very frustrated man who did not command the respect of his players. I recommend this one to any English Cricket fan who is still hurting from the whitewash last year.

6. Spun Out: The unauthorised (Warne) Biography - Paul Barry

Shane Warne is perhaps the finest cricket brain we have seen in the last three decades. The way he thinks about the game is almost clinical without sacrificing the love of the sport which he still clearly has. He also loves mobile phones, blondes and himself but I'm not sure about the order. Don't bother with the authorised biography of Warne, that will be just the Shane Warne show and you can get that by watching Test Cricket this summer. Barry's book has been described as 'a hatchet job' but I don't think this is entirely fair. Barry paints Warne as a flawed genius. He praises his achievements, his aura and his knowledge and love of the game but pulls no punches about Warne's indiscretions. A great read about a great cricketer who might be a shit bloke. Personally, I think he's a good bloke who shit in his nest.

7. Hitting accross the line - Viv Richards

Viv Richards was the most attacking batsmen I can remember from the West Indies and his personna was a macho tough exterior..not wearing a helmet facing Lillee and Thomson man what balls. However, this book is a bit defensive. Leave our team alone, you should have seen what we copped in Australia, what do you mean Grovel Tony? I don't think Viv needed to defend anyone, he should have stayed on the attack. However, his genuine love for the game and his nation come through. An honest book about an honest bloke who made genuine friendships with blokes in the other dressing room. Viv always gave his best no matter what cap he was wearing and his editors should have suggested that he omitted the 'leave our team alone' stuff out of this book. A very good read.

8. The Gloves of Irony - Rod Marsh

Loved Marshy growing up. Still miss seeing him behind the stumps today. There hasn't been a better keeper to the fast bowling for Australia that I can remember since. In his early days he was called 'Iron Gloves' which suggests he had a rocky start. Imagine keeping wicket to Thomson though. He didn't know where the balls were going so good luck to the batsman and wicketkeeper. This book is a one sitting job. Not all that many pages but the reason I like this one is it gives an insight to the 1981 Tour of England, one of the most gutwrenching losses that an Australian Test team has had in my forty years of watching the game. In at least two tests we had the Poms done and dusted. In this book Rod said 'Botham's 5/1 made me cry' . I made me realise as a teenager that the players feel the losses much tougher than the kids at home listening on the radio.

9. Beyond Ten Thousand - Allan Border

This is a good read from Pugsley and a top summation of the gutsiest player I have ever seen play for Australia. Yeah, Rick McCosker faced up to the Poms with a busted face and Bruce Laird, Steve Waugh and David Boon's courage was legendary but give me AB if I wanted someone to bat for my life. Unlike some cricketers, AB doesn't appear to have a big ego and he readily acknowledges others. Ten thousand runs was a massive achievement when Border first did it. This one tends to stick to 'just the facts' and isn't as well written as the other books in this list but it is a must for AB fans and for anyone who is old enough to remember Border's part in Australian Cricket History.

10. Boycott - The Autobiography

Boycott is an arsehole. Worse he is a boring arsehold. Worse again he's an boring English arsehole. But loathe him or hate him he was a massive obstacle for anyone playing England for many years. In an era when England weren't exactly rolling out class players (apologies to Underwood, Knott and Botham) Boycott was literally an immovable object. And man what an ego this bloke has. Read this and you can see that he came from a shit background and the reason he was like a rock is because he was one tough bastard who literally batted for his life. At times he shows real charm but resentment and ego and unintentional comedy are sometimes never far away. Worth a read.

regards,

REB
by Rik E Boy
Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sheffield Shield Season 2015/2016

Tasmania cut Jonathon Wells, Tim Van Der Gugten and and Michael Hill.
by heater31
Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Illicit drugs policy

The 'ice epidemic' is media sensationalism. Methamphetamine use in general hasn't actually increased.
by Q.
Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

orton the number one contender for wwe title

think this has been done to death over and over. was hoping ryback would get it but wasnt to be. here is another 3 more weeks of orton v authority and orton being attacked every show by them , and seth winning

You want Ryback as the number one contender??

Why.

i couldn't think of aything worse than seeing ryback back in the main event scene...

Orton vs Rollins will still be a great match atleast. Safe option to go down this path...
by woodublieve12
Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm surprised Lamb got the chop.

regards,

REB
by Rik E Boy
Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Surprised wells got sacked
by CoverKing
Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Carlton 2015

Attention employees. We have completed our evaluation of the plant. We proudly announce the elite players.

Judd, Chris.

Regards,

Hans
by Rik E Boy
Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 2 and all that it brings

Liked - Nat Fyfe
Disliked - Nat Fyfe

:(

regards,

REB
by Rik E Boy
Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Richie Benaud passes away

another stat that came from a cricinfo article i think

richie benaud had either played in or called almost a third or all test matches ever played.
by bennymacca
Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/tom-triffit-tasmania-tigers-sheffield-shield-deal/2015-04-14

Tasmania finalise their squad. With Riley Meredith and Tom Triffit sorting himself out after being asked to leave the WACA 18 months ago.
by heater31
Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 3

Like the way we went about our football on the weekend. Really worked hard to create inside. I think our plan to allow freo to get as much ball as possible worked well.

I also think our clearance work was pretty good. I think again giving Mundy, Fyfe and Hill huge amouts of space paid off in a big way.

We really did well. Im now looking more forward to the rest of the season and also slamimg mu head into a brick wall and perhaps getting hit by a car.
by stan
Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 5 stuff

Is anyone like me and actually enjoy Brian Taylor on the radio, why does he seem so different on TV?
by Wedgie
Sat May 02, 2015 8:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Awesome to see Sammy Zane on Raw. The whole segment was brilliant. Best thing I have seen since Mania. Mark out moment.
by wristwatcher
Tue May 05, 2015 11:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

loving this Lana thing they are doing

god dam she is fine 8)
by Bully
Wed May 06, 2015 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: top 5 underrated players

McGovern
Armitage
Yeo
Picken
M.Johnson
by Lightning McQueen
Tue May 19, 2015 4:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sheed out with a fractured hand. Maybe a 1-2 week injury they think.
Selwood and Barrass will travel.
I'd say Selwood will be sub, considering East Perth don't play this week, so they will need get him some game time.
by helicopterking
Thu May 21, 2015 4:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 8 - Predictions, live scores, results & post morte

That 30 seconds from Armfield sums him up. Total spud.
by carey
Fri May 22, 2015 9:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 8 - Predictions, live scores, results & post morte

daysofourlives wrote:Anyone know whats with the Orange on the Geelong socks?

For their "Just Think" program, against Drunken violence
by Jim05
Fri May 22, 2015 9:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Carlton 2015

posted elsewhere;

Hmm.

Ok, lets have a look at our list.

Laidler playing for Sydney - told by Mick to learn how to play HFF and delisted.
Waite playing for North - offered one year, played most of the previous year in the ressies.
Betts playing for Adel - says in the media during the week his role was diluted by the coach
Garlett playing for Melbourne - delisted
Robinson playing for Brisbane - delisted
Watson recruited as a CHB, being groomed as a CHF - looks like being delisted
Rowe recruited as a CHF/FF, playing CHB/FB
Yarran isn't a backman
Simpson isn't a backman
Cas can't kick

Won't play the kids, won't give them some game time...

We have no game plan!!!!! Zero. Nil. Nada. Move on.....

Again, we win contested stoppages, so it's not our MIDFIELD FFS!!!!! We have nothing to kick to.
by gadj1976
Fri May 22, 2015 11:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bully wrote:at least he is not injured everytime he basically sneezes like others....

no he just does all the injuring...

a crippled bryan is still more entertaining...
by woodublieve12
Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Geez go back to the 1st page of this thread, some great judges here :D
Should've had more faith in what a coach from the Al Clarkson Academy can do
by daysofourlives
Sun May 31, 2015 8:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Chris Judd Retires

Can't believe this has become a "my c*ck is bigger than yours" thread again. FFS... Grow up

Back on topic...

I must admit, as a Carlton supporter I'd forgotten how he used to split packs at the West Coast in the early 2000's till I saw the highlights packages this morning. He was an out and out freak. Inside ball winner and also able to use it extremely well. Unwavering ability to keep his feet under immense pressure and explode away from opposition tacklers. Fleet footwork and an amazing sense of balance.

As he said, to have two shoulder reconstructions by the age of 17 would normally spell an early end to a career, so my admiration for him grows when I see he managed 279 league games, not just as a 'decent player' but as an out and out star.

Unfortunately for Carlton, I think his best football was at West Coast but that doesn't dampen my enthusiasm of how much of a star he was. An out and out legend. Well done Juddy! And thanks.
by gadj1976
Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best player since 2000

marbles wrote:The argument is all over the media as to who is the best player since Carey

Judd, Voss, Ablett etc etc

My opinion - Paul Chapman (Geelong would have nothing without chappy) easily the most valuable player of the era IMO

Whats yours

Are you drunk?
by Lightning McQueen
Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Carlton 2015

Thomas out for remainder of season, going in for a ahoulder reco. That 750k a year not looking too wise ATM
by Jim05
Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Another little one...Round 12

That free against Rance for throwing it back to the umpire "with force" even though he caught it was beyond a joke

One of about 6 absolutely embarrassing decisions made tonight.
West Coast were very good tonight. Should have never won that match. 3 games in 13 days, against a team coming off a 13 day break.
All those haters of Nic Nat, go crawl under a rock. Previous seasons of scattered footy and injuries. Now, such an asset any team would want. Only Ruckman in the comp that can change the game in 1 quarter of footy.
by helicopterking
Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've seriously sold you blokes short. The West Coast Eagles are a good side make no doubt about it. Pre-Season I had you blokes 9th-10th your a shoe in for 4th. Such an even spread. Very strong book ends, Don't rely on anyone in particular in the midfield, dangerous forward line and Nic Nat finally living up to what everyone thought he would be. Gee he was super tonight.

Selwood looked terrible, let him go to Geelong Cripps looks a 10 year player let him take Selwoods spot.
by carey
Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Phil Walsh murdered

Mark Williams has had his own battles in recent times, but has also lost 2 massive allies in a short period in Walsh & Bailey, both critical in Port success.

He much be bewildered what life has thrown at him recently.
by Dutchy
Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I just had a thought.

If Sunday's game is, as I expect, canceled or postponed, I would like to see every person who was to attend the match still head to Adelaide Oval, still take their seat and reflect.
I actually bought my tix after hearing the news as I just wanted to be there if it went ahead to wear my Cats gear and cheer on the Crows. I know I put a lot of shit on the Crows but this is so much bigger than a game of footy.
My thoughts and love to all especially Crows fans as it must be bloody hard on them as its hit me like a brick to.the face.
by Wedgie
Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Suri wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned but what happens with the Brownlow votes for this round? Will votes from all games be excluded from this round to make the count fairer?

I heard this on radio and thought I'd bring it up.

Who really cares?
by Wedgie
Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Ashes

LBW shout given not out first ball after lunch, Aust. Review.
Plumber than Watson's, what a ******* joke

Thought it was leg side ish live and I thought decision was fair enough
But thats where the problem is, Watsons was clipping leg by 1mm but it stayed with the umps call. Id rather they get rid of the umps call crap, if its out its out, shouldnt revert back to umps call.
In that case both would of been out today
by Jim05
Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 15 and we're into the home stretch

Vickery 2 weeks for Jamieson not having any awareness, what a joke
by Jim05
Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

MJ_23 wrote:Its no surprises Neville looked better than Haddin with the gloves, there is a reason for that. He is better!

Balance gone and wouldn't be surprised if Lyth goes soon too. Both rubbish

Like Ballance, from an Australian point of view you want Lyth in the team lol.
by The Dark Knight
Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sweet 16

It was a close to cheating as you will see this year. The goal review that showed fingers bend back, then it went blurry and no one could see it anymore.
by helicopterking
Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Geelong 2015

Interesting point, one that was made on Fox the other night, some players should get the luxury to call it a day where some get told, Geelong have many in this category, you wouldn't want a mass exodus in the same year, they are going to have to push some out the door unfortunately.

Bartel
Kelly
Mackie
Enright
Stokes
Lonergan
Taylor
Stevie J
Rivers

Sorry, I'm not REB. That's true.... I am interested in a Cats fans take on it... some good players on that list. My guess is they put a line through say 3 or 4 of those blokes, and start bringing the kids through..... REB?
by Corona Man
Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 17 stuff

Jetta, lol, just lol.

"I don't like that you're booing my mate". Yeah, that'll help!
by Booney
Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The run home

Freo
Hawthorn
West Coast
Sydney
Richmond
Bulldogs
North
Giants
by Booney
Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah Mike Rotundos kids.

Strangely Brays real name is Windham as in Rotundos tag team partner in the American express. Barry Windham

They wrestled for the tag gold against Shiek and Volkoff at Wrestlemania 1
by wristwatcher
Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mike Sheahan's Teams of decades - 60's to 00's

No Cousins because of his off field issues. Yep :roll:

Difficulty with things like this - who does he replace? He was a gun no doubt, but the team is full of them.

Did more in the 2000's than Crawford, Ricciuto and Lappin IMO.

Im sure he did a lot more lol .. But fair point, those three were all great players too though. Think it just comes down to each individual selecting THEIR team,
by JK
Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Beat Hawthorn or GTFO Eagles. ;)

regards,

REB
by Rik E Boy
Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sydney Swans 2015

Poor article IMHO, someone telling Adam how he should act and feel. No one has that right.
The way hes been treated and the things he's been called wouldn't upset me either, but it doesn't give me the right to tell him how to feel and act.
by Wedgie
Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BOOOneys Round 18 preview

Cant listen to Bruce's sickening love in for the Tigers any longer

Premiership contenders now.....lol
Why not?
I realise it's Richmond, but they've knocked off the top side (should've twice) and beaten the flag favourites. Besides a poor outing against west coast, they've every right to consider themselves in the thick of it

Poor Outing? They weren't good enough.
WC v Hawks next week is massive
by helicopterking
Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

RIP "The Rowdy One". One of the greatest ever on the mic.
by wristwatcher
Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have not missed a Test match for Australia since I was probably 6. Going on 35 years.

Statistics may make this statement look silly but I don't remember an Australian 4,5 and 6 doing less in a game. 6 dismissals without any form of contribution and some muppet like shots and no wickets.

Shaun Marsh for Mitch would be my first change.
My other change would be Burns for Voges but as he is not there then it has to be and I can't believe I'm writing this...Shane :shock:
FFS get Clark back at 5 were he was the best in the world. He is a million miles away from that but surely it's worth a crack. If he is good enough he will get out of this slump next test.
The other change is I would drug Siddle and do a knee transplant on Rhino and get him back

Win or draw next test or the Ashes are England's and no test has looked like going the distance. Need a huge turn around next test or the unwashed masses are going to get rowdy.

West Indies v Australia Perth 1984-85. Bowled out for 76 in the first dig and under 200 I think in the second. That was facing Holding, Marshall, Walsh and Garner on the faster track in world cricket mind you.

regards,

REB
by Rik E Boy
Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm not liking this talk that the coach and selectors are unpopular with the players at the moment because they were pissed about Haddin being left out last test. He might be the greatest bloke or teammate in the world but he wasn't holding his own and hadn't for a long time.

Nevill's performance last match vindicated Boof's decision to leave Haddin out.
by Gozu
Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Agree with the decision to put Nevill in but no way he is a better keeper than Haddin. His lateral movement behind the stumps to the quicks is much slower and he doesn't get to balls that haddin would . Haddin is world class Nevill is serviceable. As you say though batting is a big thing now and we have enough blokes who can give it a wack..another grinder (as In Nevill) is v handy for team balance.

Haddin can't see the ball anymore. It's bloody obvious. That goes for his batting and his keeping. At his peak Haddin is better than Nevill but he's past his use by date.

regards,

REB
by Rik E Boy
Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 18 Bits

Brodlach wrote:All this Adam Goodes talk is booooring me ;)

Funny my 6 year old was watching the 2005 prelim final Syd vs Geelong and wondered why Goodes wasn't being boo'd. I thought about responding that "we obviously weren't racist back then" but didn't.
by gadj1976
Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sydney Swans 2015

Poor bloke, hope he can make a full recovery and return... Kid is a gun

by woodublieve12
Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |