Search found 1 match

Return

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

I think a lot of clubs will strongly consider Strath's proposal, especially clubs that don't currently field an A grade but aspire to. And players that have had a gut full of all the gaps in the season because of two day byes, and Sunday matches are likely to favour this too.

It is disappointing that nearly half the clubs in AEHCA don't currently field an A grade, and after the experience Mt Barker and Bremer/Callington had when they came up a few years ago it is not likely any A2 clubs would want to put their hand up to play A's under the current format and risk getting smashed outright. Currently, the bottom teams in the A grade are not overly competitive either and the top couple of teams are far stronger than every other team in the association. A one day comp will even this up IMO.

The amount of overs in the proposal is bound to be a hot topic. If a match makes it to 100 overs, it sure will be a long day, however if the umpires are vigilant in ensuring that bowling teams are not dawdling and the association puts sufficient rules in place for umpires to keep the game moving matches shouldn't finish much past 6.30 which would be ok if this is the exception not the norm. 18-20 overs per hour is definitely achievable, teams in A2's regularly do this. Time will tell i spose, but anything less than 50 overs per team is not sufficient in my opinion and i wouldn't imagine games would go past 90 overs much.

In terms of the other possible changes, i like the idea of rewarding the top two teams with a double chance in finals, as a one day cricket is more unpredictable and there is more likely the chance of an upset.

The 15m circle, or as mentioned above im sure was supposed to be a 30 yard circle should be simplified. Having 2 fielders outside the circle in first 15 is not at all relevant at all as clubs would never have more than 2 fielders in the outfield early in the game anyway and i agree Jackpot, it was more introduced for tv ratings and making games more exciting. But i think that having no more than 5 fielders out at any stages is a must to stop negative captaincy and teams bowling second 'killing' games off by putting all their fielders back when they get a big score. Maybe this should just be simplified to just not having more than 5 fielders outside the circle any time rather than messing around with 'powerplay' type rules.

For this reason, I think leg side wides should be put in the rules too. A grade bowlers will have the skill to bowl negatively down leg if games get tight and there needs to be a way to stop this and a universal leg side wide rule would stop this. There has been complaints that some teams do this in A2's and dont want games decided with those sorts of tactics.

The reality is though, the above points are quite minor in the scheme of things.... the main point is do people want to play exclusively one day cricket? My feeling is that two day cricket is not as appealing as it used to be and it is quite unbelievable that a two day games these days allow for nearly a third of the players to be replaced from one Saturday to the next.... and it is unreal how many teams have to do these changes from week to week. That is a big sign that two day cricket does not suit modern lifestyles. Also, the draw at the moment is a joke with all the byes and Sunday games, and there is too much dead cricket these days, including in the one day games played.

I like the proposal and definitely think it is worth a crack. If it isn't popular, there is no reason this cant be reviewed and changed in future seasons.
by Luigianna
Fri May 13, 2016 10:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |