Search found 38 matches

Return

Re: SA 2019 Draft Watch

So I’ve been thinking a lot about this. Does the fact that Michael Knoll was not drafted by any AFL club in the off season mean that South Adelaide’s recruiting department is better than all of the AFL? A cash strapped SANFL club had a better eye for talent than the 18 “loaded with money and resources” teams. Makes you wonder who the real professionals are...

Feel free to tell me I’m wrong because I might still just be a bit bitter about this :D
by PanthersFan
Tue May 28, 2019 9:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South V Glenelg

Jim05 wrote:I was following on and off whilst watching our game and it sounded like a belter.
I have the digital pass for Norwood, does that allow me to watch replays of other games? Wouldn’t mind having a look at it

I joined through South but I can watch all games so I’m sure you should be able to.
by PanthersFan
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: West v South Sun 1410

Joel Cross offered a reprimand and fine for striking. What an absolute joke! The bloke gets beaten up every week and gets nothing, he’s just such a champion and plays well regardless of what thuggery comes his way!
by PanthersFan
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South V Port

Coffin nailed shut. Feels like a real waste of a season. That was tough for you guys today, like a few weeks ago with us you got them when they were loaded up. They won't be as strong as that soon.

True, we didn't have much luck with the "AFL Reserves Lottery" this time around, and losing to the professionals sh*ts me no end. But we've been on the slide for a couple of months now, and just 1 win from the 8 games v STU/PA/NWD/WWT suggests we're not a finals calibre side in 2019.
If only we had 2 quality big ruck/forwards. Oh wait............ Seriously, we have been terrible up forward since Knoll was stolen because Overall keeps getting double, triple teamed. McLean and Knoll would have been huge difference makers and I can't get over it. What started as a promising season turned to crap due to circumstances out of our control and I hate that.
by PanthersFan
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 18 - South Adelaide v Crowserves

Nick Liddle has announced he will retire at the end of the season which of course will be after we win the premiership :D
Congratulations Lids, an absolute star player and SAFC legend!
by PanthersFan
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 18 - South Adelaide v Crowserves

So the crows ended up sneaking in a few AFL players that weren’t named on Thursday. Anyway, good hard game and nice to send off Crabb and Lids with a win. My friend from Memphis, Tennessee came along to his first game of Australian football and he enjoyed it, he even bought a Panthers cap so I have successfully brainwashed another poor soul. He couldn’t figure out how one team has full time professionals and the other doesn’t but I just said we don’t understand it either.

As is often the theme at South Adelaide, there’s always next year. Hopefully a lot of our young players stay on, they seem to have a talented bunch. Throw in some good recruits (but not too good right?) and no reason we can’t challenge next year. Lids looked like he could play another 5 years, he was brilliant today. I sure hope Crossy stays on. Go Panthers!!
by PanthersFan
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

South Adelaide Knuckey Cup

Joel Cross won his 4th Knuckey Cup last night.
Joe Haines was runner up, Alex Cailotto Best Club Man, Hayden Sampson most improved, Reece Milsom best first year player.
I did not attend the night so if there are any results I missed please add them.
To anyone who did attend, were there any announcements made regarding who's staying or going for next year? I haven't seen an official announcement regarding Joel Cross yet...
by PanthersFan
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2020 Player movement

It's great to have signed Rose and Brooksby (although I haven't seen anything official from SAFC regarding the latter) but I am a bit concerned signing them before the drafts. Have they agreed to not nominate for the drafts? I would hate to go through the same scenario as last off season and of course mid-season.

Any word on Matt Rose and Malcolm Karpany?

Matt Rose and Malcolm Karpany will be there in 2020.
Great news! I also just saw the SAFC post on facebook announcing Joe Haines, Matt Rose, Ben Heaslip and Tyson Brown have all signed for 2020 :D
by PanthersFan
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

South Adelaide welcomes former Port Adelaide player Matthew Broadbent to Noarlunga for 2020.
The Henley Sharks/Woodville West-Torrens junior was taken at pick 38 of the 2008 AFL Draft by the Power.
After spending 11-seasons at Alberton, the midfield utility now finds a home with the Panthers after 171 games at the highest level.
"We welcome Brogsy to the club and we're really happy to have him on board for an exciting 2020" Said Senior Coach Jarrad Wright.
"He's been around footy and the AFL system for a long time, and the wealth of experience he brings to the club will be really useful in helping with some of our younger players."
"We'll expect him to bring his hard-nosed style to our new look midfield while also helping to cover down back"
"Matt will add a layer of calmness in the heat of battle which is a developing area for our team"
"His decision making and skills by hand and foot is something that our offensive transitions will benefit from."
"It was a pretty tough decision for me, but an important one and one I'm really excited about" said Broadbent
"There were a number of factors [to come South Adelaide] but the chance to work with Jarrad Wright, who I've got a good relationship with and as well as the exciting list helped me make the decision"
When talking about what would be his role, Broadbent said that "I might play a bit more midfield than I have".
"We've got pre-season to look forward to, to get fit and get ready and obviously want to get some good momentum leading into the season."
"Really excited to get stuck into it."
Having a break out season for the Power in 2012, Broadbent played 19 AFL games to earn a consistent spot in the side where he also finished equal second in the John Cahill Medal.
2014 saw Broadbent bring up his 100th AFL game against Carlton in round 22.
At that point he was a key part of the Port Adelaide back six.
The 2016 season was one of great consistency for Broadbent as he finished sixth in the Cahill medal after playing a large part of the year in defence.
In the 10 AFL matches played in 2019, Broadbent averaged 20 disposals a game, which was above his career average.
The South Adelaide Football Club welcomes Matthew, and partner Rachelle to the Family for 2020.
by PanthersFan
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wasn’t sure where to post this and I know it has nothing to do with this forum, but I hope everybody is safe and going well on this horrible hot and windy day.
by PanthersFan
Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

A few thoughts on the curtain raiser topic...

1. I feel I should be entitled to enter on my SAFC membership which includes away games. I normally attend the South vs crows and port games because it brings out extra competitiveness in me and I enjoy that.
2. A run on Adelaide Oval is never a bad thing for the team. Practice for finals (hopefully).
3. It does however stink of AFL interference. Is this happening before or after the mid season draft? If it’s before it would be easy scouting for AFL teams. If it’s after, no big deal.
4. I don’t think the location should impact the result. The crows will either have a stacked team impossible to beat anywhere or a team full of top ups which should be easy money for South. Although on occasion the crows do have an evenly balanced team but I don’t think this happens too often for some reason.
5. I sure hope this was an offer tabled to South and that we were free to accept or decline the invitation and conditions.
by PanthersFan
Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I understand South supporters frustration and think all these "drafts" are wrong. But to cancel memberships and stop attending doesn't help your club. Some South supporters are starting to sound like Westies ones. The world is against you . No it's not.
SANFL clubs need all the support they can get , especially South. The issue is bigger than club level. Clubs need members and the members need to stand up and make a difference. Make your club force the SANFL to take action . Its the SANFL and the clubs that is getting it wrong . The SANFL do not seem to realise they hold the aces here . Stop bowing to the AFL. Say no . Its a small percent that play AFL as it is. So force the hand of this monster. If a players signs a contract for a season make it binding . Full stop. If the AFL says no then dont sign the player and he will languish in a lower comp and that wont work for the AFL clubs. Im all for being the best you can but dont screw the clubs that provide that vehicle.
Well we were one of two clubs to vote against allowing AFL teams in to the SANFL... South have already stood up for principles and where has it got us? Every time we get close, something seems to happen. Me personally, I am keeping my membership and will be there to support the club because it is not the club's fault. It's not time to quit. I just wonder how the players are feeling.
by PanthersFan
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vale: Mark Naley

Such sad news. What an absolute legend. RIP Mark.
by PanthersFan
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 10 South v Centrals Saturday 1410

ok, compromised massively then. And I don't give a fat rat's clacker if we DO finish bottom, I've seen us win 9 flags, that's pretty good I reckon.
I'd rather win the spoon in this COMPROMISED season than any other!
Fair enough.

Still interested to know why you think it's compromised or lacks integrity (probably a better way to describe possible criticisms) because I can't see how the structure of this season disadvantages any of the eight teams.*

* Not trying to be a smart-arse, just interested in a genuine SANFL discussion with an informed observer.
IMO it's the least compromised season since 2014, possibly since 1990. No influence from AFL clubs and players. Level playing field for all teams.
Whichever team wins the premiership will be very worthy premiers.
by PanthersFan
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 13 South v Norwood Saturday 1410

gazzamagoo wrote:I think South will lose their last 2 & be replaced by Norwood in the 4.

The old reverse psychology trick!
by PanthersFan
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 13 South v Norwood Saturday 1410

Great game to watch for us South supporters.
For once, we don't rely on the last round result to see if we play finals footy. South looked very slick on the weekend except for the poor goal kicking.

Thought Norwood came out an played good direct footy....Dom Barry kicking the first goal. After first quarter, Norwood constantly kicked short across goals (even in the last quarter when down by 60 plus points). South's pressure just killed them. Hard tackling and direct footy.

Paul Hunter - outstanding killing Baulderstone in the ruck. He's a class act.
Joel Cross - doing what he does well. Gets better with age.
Broadbent - reliable and dependable. Seems to very much enjoy being a leader and loves his Panthers.
Joey Haines - defended and intercepted so well.
Malcolm Karpany - from being injured in round 1 and coming back into the side. He looks silky smooth and classy.
Nick Schwarz - hard at it in the middle and we are a better side with him in it.

Really enjoying the way the team is playing and there is very much a good feeling in the playing group this year.

Long way to go yet...... ;)
Great write up southee, agree with everything you said and the players you mentioned you’re spot on at what they bring. Love what Malcolm does, really hope he can play to the last game (whenever that may be). Luke Bogle had a great game back in the league side too and he adds another mid/forward option to the rotation. This South team is different than what we’ve seen in a long time, hopefully they can keep up their effort and intensity.
by PanthersFan
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

Eagles and finals are most seasons where as South are not quite as regular.

Thinking only Joel Cross has played in a preliminary final before and the Eagles still have a number from 2018.

A game apiece during the minor round.

South appear set for a selection headache with Tyson Brown fit but do you drop anybody from that team?

Forecast is great and I already can't wait.

Might not need to drop anyone, has Overall been sighted for the high hit in the first quarter??? From the stands it looked late and very high so wouldn’t be surprised if he got a week off
SANFL released the match review findings on their website and nothing about Overall.

But but but, what about Partington? :lol:
I think they figured he has enough weeks off now :D
by PanthersFan
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: reserves

Aerie wrote:When the Reserves concept was originally voted on (with no member input), the vote was 6-2, with only South and Central voting against. What would the vote be if it could be done again now, for next season?

If only all the other clubs voted no... why didn’t they????
by PanthersFan
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2021 SEASON

DOC wrote:I quite agree.

Matthew Rose will be South's captain this year.

The year the club is celebrating 145 years :D
by PanthersFan
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 Trial Games

pretty disappointing result at Noarlunga for South fans.
Centrals were very fast and hard at it, they will be a lot better than most think this year. I didnt have a program but No.11 for Centrals was pretty impressive, almost as impressive as his mullet.
South "managed" Horne, Heaslip, McGree and Broadbent. I thought youngsters, Sampson and Freitag were pretty good and new chum Skinner showed a bit as well.

Coupla different people I've spoken to, both with plenty of experience and longtime SANFL ties, spoke very highly of the Dogs after both the Norwood and South games. Said they're fast, committed, fit and willing and will catch a few teams out this season.
I think we'll go better than last year BUT we're still a small side, still need a big CHB & another quality ruckman.
Just take one of our ruckmen, apparently we have plenty to go around :shock:
by PanthersFan
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R1 Glenelg v West 4.10 PM

Great to see my nephew named in the U18s for Westies! Just call me BloodsFan :D
by PanthersFan
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R3 South v Port Saturday 2.10PM

What a great last quarter! Fantastic team effort by South today!
SA 12.9 81 PA 10.12 72
by PanthersFan
Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2021 SEASON

am Bays wrote:Embrace the the fact that this is the year

I always live in hope that every year is the year but there will always be an underlying sense of pessimism.
No Grand Final appearances since I've been alive will do that.
But I love my Panthers nonetheless.
by PanthersFan
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R14 WWT v West Saturday 1410

Super proud of my nephew, up from the U18s playing his first reserves game for Westies. Go the bloods!
by PanthersFan
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R15 West v Port Sunday 1310

I am now WestiesFan! Absolutely stoked that Harry gets to make his debut at 17. He can’t even get drafted this year!! Hope West get the win and Harry has a decent game first up. Go the Bloods!!!
by PanthersFan
Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R15 West v Port Sunday 1310

I am now WestiesFan! Absolutely stoked that Harry gets to make his debut at 17. He can’t even get drafted this year!! Hope West get the win and Harry has a decent game first up. Go the Bloods!!!

Great debut by Harry Lemmey yesterday, lead well, took some strong marks and kicked 1.1.

I would say he has a bright future, will be at Westies for next year and most likely selected in next years AFL draft.
I went to the game and was with the Harry Cheer Squad at the southern end of the stand. We were all very excited and thought he played well. Had Clurey and Goldsack on him at different times so he certainly had to earn it. A shame about the result though.
by PanthersFan
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R17 Norwood v West Friday 7.40

Norwood got 69 twice last night… Lucky
by PanthersFan
Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R18 West v Glenelg Friday 7.40

am Bays wrote:C’mon you Panthers get behind the team that always been the team for the Southern ‘burbs

So who did the southerners support from 1876 to 1921? :D

Also my nephew is playing for West, young fella wearing number 64. Have a look out for him and be nice!!!
by PanthersFan
Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R18 West v Glenelg Friday 7.40

Bays fans, you need to stop being bad winners. Some very ordinary comments and behaviour tonight. Certainly not saying it’s everyone, but there were a lot.
Are you talking about at the game?
Yes
Anecdotal reports are that it was the Westies fans getting turfed, maybe typo here PF?
I can only comment on what I see and hear. Like I said before, I'm not saying it's every Glenelg fan, but there were five or six blokes last night sitting around us who were constantly abusing West players and the umpires. I get as fans we are always going to disagree with some umpiring decisions, but when it's EVERY SINGLE DECISION that goes against your team you don't need to keep yelling about it until the next one. This happened all the way to the end of the game when Glenelg had it well wrapped up and when they weren't abusing the umpires they were abusing the West players. I just don't get the mentality, especially when you've got the minor premiership sewn up, the game sewn up and the actual premiership more than likely sewn up. Just enjoy your team's winning season in historic fashion, then you might have some opposition supporters actually want to congratulate you. (Sorry about the long post, and when I say "you" I don't mean you personally).
by PanthersFan
Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R19 South v West Sat 2.10

Crossy’s retirement announcement may just be a stroke of genius. I had already put a line through South’s season but if the team can’t lift for Joel Freaking Cross then I don’t know what they’d ever lift for. Panthers to win this week by 4 or 5 goals and then, screw it, you all know I’m crazy anyway, on to premiership glory to farewell a legend of not only South Adelaide, but the SANFL. Go the mighty Panthers and go Crossy!
by PanthersFan
Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 finals series

Must be going well if they can give free tickets away.

It’s to do with being a paid up member if you’ve attended all games or you have the home match ticket and attended all home games .
It’s also called rewarding fans who go every week :) I’m guessing the AFL seconds teams don’t do this seeing you follow one you’d know .
No offence
I like the idea of the incentive to go to all games and get free finals tickets, but what about people like me who pay for a home game membership but can’t go to every home game because of shift work commitments? I pay the same amount (to support my club) knowing I can’t go to every game. But it is what it is, heck I’m just happy I can go and watch my team in the finals (which is much more rare for a South fan).
by PanthersFan
Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 finals series

Are we going to have individual game posts this week? I’m happy to do them if Doc doesn’t want to or unless everyone is happy to keep using this thread.
by PanthersFan
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary final Glenelg v South

am Bays wrote:I’m sure we all appreciate a club that had 17 wins during the season standing up in a Preliminary final it was expected to win, on Adelaide Oval

If that what makes you feel good champ, sure.
by PanthersFan
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R7 Glenelg v South

You want to talk footy?

I’ll gladly wait for your explanation on why from half way through the third quarter we could score seven of the last eight goals and at the same time almost have 50% more tackles than you blokes (when I got onto SANFL now it was 47-52 your way but ended up 60 all) despite having more of the footy.

My comment on South stands.

Don’t bring up up injuries and inexperience because pressure isn’t a skill it’s a want.

And like I’ve posted on here on average once a fortnight since October last year, our inability to match the Eagles in that department last year in the GF cost us.
Glenelg clearly played better in the last quarter when it was there to be won. Full credit to them. But I will argue that yes, experience does play a factor in that. South are not up to standard at the moment and injuries are a part of that. But in my opinion South have been under performing all season and Jarrad Wright needs to get things turned around quickly otherwise he doesn’t deserve to be coach next season.
Glenelg won a game they were expected to win and I honestly thank you for your break down of the last quarter and even having stats to back it up. That’s some real football talk I can enjoy.
by PanthersFan
Tue May 24, 2022 9:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R13 Central v South

Wow, just wow. What a choke. Season over. Wright should be sacked.
by PanthersFan
Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2022 League Grand Final - North v Norwood (Sun 18/9 @ 3p

NW Premierships I have seen
1975 v GL
1978 V ST
1982 V GL
1984 V PA
1997 V PA
2012 V WA
2013 V NA
2014 V PA
2022 V NA

The 2022 , in my opinion, was the least skilled team of those flag teams
However, in my opinion , they are the most courageous team of the lot.
They gave up leads in all 4 finals this year and prevailed 3 times.
Are we playing that game? Ok my turn!
South Adelaide premierships I’ve seen:

(Searches memory…)

Nope! Unless we can count the ones we dream about :D

But seriously congratulations to Norwood and all the Legs fans on here. That was a cracking grand final. Enjoy!!
by PanthersFan
Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: retirements and upcoming signings

Sam Skinner back to South Adelaide? That’s what I got from the Facebook reel the club just posted.
by PanthersFan
Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |