Search found 269 matches

Return

Re: 2020 SANFL Grand Final North v Eagles

The result this weekend is all about the Eagles having the right mental approach. They are the better team on paper BUT they need to be prepared to take the risks... North did that so well 2 yrs ago. If the Eags play to not lose then they will in fact lose.
Fortunately I think Sheedy is working towards rectifying this mindset, but its ingrained in the Club.

A key player to me is one who ironically has a name nore synonymous with North..Vonbertouch. Great overhead, hard to match up. However he iften doesn't come ready to play (like last week). If he fires then the Hayes boys are even more dangerous.
by northerner
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: JEFF ANDREWS GONE!

The club's stand on this issue is simple,
We're a different club at Centrals,
it's a different environment than the other clubs & we need to stick to what's best for us,
don't appoint from outside the club because they wouldn't understand how we operate & our culture,
it didn't work with Cowboy,
it didn't work with Kerley,
it didn't really work with Clarko,
success came from the hard work of people like Alan Stewart, Kris Grant, Bill Cochrane & Roy Laird & all the die-hard volunteers who bleed for the club,,
You couldn't get a better Red, White & Blue pedigree than Paul Thomas,
his old man is a legend of the club, as is Paul too & now we have a female Thommo running around,
Port stuck with this principle for years & look where that got them in the SANFL,
we've copied them before & it worked,
time to get back to basics, back to our roots & start to rebuild the winning culture.
At least we'll now have the 100% support of all the players.

See if Granty/the board came out and said that and admitted he made a mistake in hiring an outsider I think the club would have handled it very well.

The running from media, that blatant disregard he/they held the members and fans in when literally the whole state knew what he/they had planned was very poor in my opinion.

To me the fact that they couldn't even come out and be proud of the moves they have made screams that they are not even confident in the recent decisions they have made.

In the 70-90's you could get away with stuff like that, we wouldn't have even known the coach had been sacked lol, this is 2020 and people live in a fast food society, we hear everything right now, news moves right now, people/fans have more power/knowledge/facts/stats than ever before.
Point is that Gazza can say things that might not be wise for Kris and the Board to say...

In a non destructive parting of ways, what did the opposing parties not want from the divide?
The Club didnt want to be left with a significant payout.
The Coach didn't want his reputation sullied.

Okay... so, hypothetically of course, lets agree to make sure each partys worse fear is not realised. A trade off, which enables both parties to move forward with less damage than what may have been the case.

Sometimes its far more prudent to not divulge info...and conversely not seek it...
by northerner
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Is the clubs culture safe??

I don’t mind the Thommo appointment but does have a tad of the clubs reputation through the 80’s early 90’s of being a job for the boys and being a ‘what is your last name’ club. Wasn’t until Alan Stewart come from outside the club and shook the place from the ground up things changed.

Will the 2000’s culture work in the twenty twenty’s, times change cultures change

I hope Thommo is the man but it’s not 100% cert.

Our culture is about players being decent people also...
Thommo knows that culture, has the passion and also picked up knowledge in his roles of the last 4 years.

I have sent you a pm...
by northerner
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Personally as a paid up member and financial contributor, I don't want Kris and the board to spend too much time worrying about the message this appointment process sends to CDFC supporters. We currently have an SANFL administration where the message is effectively that the SANFL league is no longer their main priority. The SANFL exists to support what the AFL wants. If you want to attack a message that affects SANFL supporters, attack that.

We are talking about a club ran on a shoestring who do not have teams of PR executives; from my personal observations we struggle to afford a proper marketing team (come back Kym Jarman please.) There is no network of chums from Saint Knobs or Princes Polishers et al who can knock out a spin team after hours in the Adelaide Club. For the 2000 CDFC members or so, probably a couple of hundred visit the club each week. They can just knock on Kris Grants office door and have a discussion. For me without any knowledge of the process and as an outside spectator, the process was carried out with little fuss and remarkable speed. As to whether Paul was the main contender, so what. They carried out due diligence, held appropriate interviews and made a decision. It happens in the public service every week and in the private sector main contenders are targeted. To think that a public statement would read that they sacked Andrews because a better guy was available on our door step, which could then possibly invoke a clause where Andrews could demand compensation, is naïve to the extreme.

At some point the club must have told Andrews the 'real' reason whether that was in person/via phone/via email so if a public statement is telling the truth then the club should have nothing to worry about in the case of compensation unless Andrews has a genuine case for it, which he would have regardless of what the statement said. I also believe come the AGM the club should be open about the financial position the sacking has put the club in, I hope as others have mentioned that we are actually better of financially for this. Especially given they were begging for money to survive only 12 months ago.

The club are yet to even say that he was sacked due to 'on-field results'

misconduct is a term I've heard

Everyone is hearing something different, that's a pretty nasty rumour if its not true which is why I 100% believe the club need to be honest and truthful and try and end any hear say which was inevitable with the way they handled it.

You are not taking in the hinted message mate.

Suffice to say the Club is not losing money, plus the PT appointment of Thommo means tbey will actually be ahead financially.
Plus the CULTURE of the Club is in safe hands.
by northerner
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 Player movements

News from Dogs B AND F (won by James Boyd).

Outs... Jenner, Goodrem, Stephenson and Milne. Very unlikely Butcher remains.
In... Harry Grant from GWS Academy.
by northerner
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer 2020/21

A very strong squad. 15 of that squad would be up to the task.
I continue to have doubts on Neser and believe Burns was awarded a spot out of a sense of loyalty (Marcus Harris is more deserving on form.)

Of the potential debutants, Pucovski has to start. Swepson and Abbott are having break out years, and Green is just plain ridiculously talented, but will probably have to wait til January for his debut.

Good times ahead.
by northerner
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Gotta love this time of year. Great to hear of all the players who don't want to play for Centrals anymore. Worst thing is if it is on here 99% of the time it is true.

Grrrrrr! Really not looking forward to next season.

Return of Crows and Power Reserves and no players left at Centrals. :twisted:

Cheer up, Groucho, we just recruited the Wendland triplets today. :)
the what?
Also, one of the Neagles has returned.
Wendlands are signed up by the female Doggies.

Jaxon AND Matt Neagle both will return for next season.
The Kelly boys will stay.
Thomas Graham stay (big potential).
So thats a pretty decent DAD line up...

Sam Hanna not returning.
by northerner
Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CDFC 2021

If they do go as supporters we have every right to be spewing .If they are only interested in money then all the talk about loving the club is rubbish and if they want to be money hungry then we will lose them.Secondly where are the Eagles getting all this money from, with allegedly a lower salary cap

In this case, it may be West who are making the play on Dan (in particular).

We talk about it just being "only the money", but in the case of Daniel, like Gibbs, he is fresh out of the AFL system and it isnt easy to find a job without any experience in any trade or profession.
Maybe we dont have to feel sorry for their plight, but its a reality that to suddenly find yourself at 30yo and unemployed with no likely prospects, its no wonder they are looking to get the best deal they can.
And often it isnt the money, but the role they want (as with Gibbs and the Development Role he has taken).

Rest assured though, the Dogs WANT Dan to play and are working very hard to make things fit.
by northerner
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Under the recently departed Doggies coach, I believe the brothers were well positioned to take off-field roles that are currently filled. This at the discretion of an individual not the Club.
So its fair to say those lads were particularly disappointed to see their coach go.
One of them spoke very highly of the departed coach at the Presentation.

Several players at the same evening, did not speak highly of the coach; one publicly said he was very close to leaving mid-season; another pointedly said that the 3 games we won were due to Thommo's nous as mids coach.

The Club had a situation where they had a polarising coach. As a result of their decision to replace him, they have lost two brothers. If they had stayed the course, they would have lost many more players than just two.

AS whufc says; not a great situation at CDFC at present, but a better place than 6 months ago.
Thommo will unite the lads, and we will be competitive. After all, the Club finished strongly last year without either brother playing.
by northerner
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

sacking a coach with two years to run on his contract when the club was crying poor at the start of the year to supporters and sponsors for assistance is a disgrace!

They got Andrews there to clean up the mess - when he started showing them the issues the boys club didn’t like it. Kris Grant is the biggest issue at that club and now he has gone and got another lap dog in Paul Thomas who will do what he’s told to coach....

Kris Grant needs to get out the front bar, stop punting and f*ck off into the sunset. As for some of them assistant coaches let’s be honest they are half the issue also....

With all due respect they got Jeff to coach... not to turf out everybody within the Clubs heairachy including legends such as Platts. He became a threat to those who gave him his opportunity.
by northerner
Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

arvoteapig wrote:I am hearing rumours that Matt Knight is taking on a paid fitness coaching role at the eagles.

Wow... might need to start on his own fitness first!
by northerner
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Menzels were undercut by the dogs and if they were after money could have played country football. It doesn't take much to see they were disenchanted after Andrews got the ass. I wish Sturt was in a position to have offered them something.
Andrews had primed them for roles within the club that were (A) already currently filled and (B) not his responsibility to offer.
Hence their disenchantment with Andrews being dismissed.
We lost two because coach was sacked. Would have lost many more if coach remained.
by northerner
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We would definitely want to snag a few because elite talent is the issue not depth

THIS.... has been our issue for 5 seasons.
by northerner
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nathan Lyon is the most ordinary average player to have played 100 Tests. Seriously... he has a consistent stock ball, and then...?

So many times we fail to bowl teams out in 4th innings on 5th days. When spinners should be licking their lips, Lyon has nothing to offer.

100 tests and 400 wkts at 31 ave. That pans out to an average of 2 for 62 per innings. Not gunna win many matches with that.
by northerner
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yep, aussies are used to being bullies not only at home but the GABBA.
Not discounting India's ridiculously good batting in last 2 x 4th innings in tests, perhaps the 36 in Adelaide was the worst thing for Australia and the bowling unit?
Captaincy was boring and defensive.
Why was Paine being defensive when a draw wasn't going to suffice today?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
A draw would have seen us remain #1 on the Championship rankings.
The loss has seen us slip behind India and NZ.
by northerner
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Menzels Butcher Muzza Durdin Mckenzie Goody Toner would walk into our current league side imho

Hopefully the club can gain 2-3 more signatures before the season starts.
Have only lost 4 who played in our last game... a win against the Eagles.

Out...Muzza, goodie, alfie and toner
In... grace (tfl leading goalkicker) grant (afl academy plater who is leading allcomers on the track), neagle (best is yet to be shown) and lange (potential gun)

Still doesn't include guys like Dew, Gillard, East, Grubb, Robinson, Dahms, Haydon, Patterson, Shaw, Cannizzaro, Hill, Brown, Burton and two big smokies... Tom Graham and Iles from Mick McGuane tutelage.
by northerner
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2021 SEASON

TDJ44 wrote:
southernbulldog wrote:Surprised we are $13 thought we would be a lot longer than that. I think West will better than the odds showing

Should be $31

Hopefully you two saw the performance v South.
Thommo has got the lads fast and fit and a few lads will step up and surprise.
by northerner
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just keeping you guys honest.
Doggie fans on this site have a tendency to post far more negatives on bad days than positives on good..

How do you rate Grace, Grant (neither played yesterday), Graham and Iles (he wore the long sleeves)?

Barreau, Olsson and Jackson Kelly set for huge seasons. All fit Thommos pace orientated emphasis.
by northerner
Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R1 Centrals v North Friday 2.10 PM

JK wrote:
UK Fan wrote:
Kahuna wrote:Lots of talk at the ground that James Boyd has retired and Connor McLean has left the club. Can anyone confirm?

True

As fantastic as his SANFL career has been - And it has been - I don’t think it’s a bad loss with what I’d imagine your current plan is.

Wasnt happy with a different role.
by northerner
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R1 Centrals v North Friday 2.10 PM

Running around racking up 35 possessions a game with little impact isnt what Thommo wants i believe .He wants a team the play for each other and all on the same page and he got that yesterday, no individuals just a team orientated mindset .

Wasn't a team player at the Eagles that's why they let him go. Eagles refreshed with juniors, bought in players from lesser competitions, a more attacking style of game and bingo a premiership without Boyd.

Fresh players, a new coach, renewed enthusiasm can do wonders.

I think there still could be a place for Boyd in most footy teams based on ability but character issues just seem to follow him left right and centre.

I believe he was one who ended refusing to play under billion times premiership coach Laird. He was then one of the very vocal people who wanted Andrew’s gone, and now supposedly this. It’s pretty obvious where the issue actually lies.

To be fair it was Roy who gave Boydie the DCM.
And that was based on he being unable to follow team instructions.
This time around he was told he would be playing less time on the ball (where we have oodles of options) and it was hoped he would mentor some of the youngsters.
Neither of these roles agreed with where Boydie saw his role and he made that known.
Subsequently placed in the ressies... and that was that.
by northerner
Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R2 Port v Centrals Saturday 1410

Think theres a strong case to bring in Ben Kelly for this game. An extra tall in defence is clearly needed. North took many contested grabs up forward and Sturt did likewise in the last trial.
Nice to see Ben (and Jackson's) dad Paul in the Changerooms after the game.
by northerner
Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

southernbulldog wrote:Dogs64 i was wondering the same thing re Barreau & Gillard .

Both with work commitments.
by northerner
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fair to say the Dogs won the first half on our terms...run and pace.
In the second half Port exploited our weakness and bombed to contests rather than chip away. The Dogs have a glut of runners but few who can compete in the air, and we were also smashed in the ruck.
And the bravado that the youngsters had shown over the first 6 quarters of the season was replaced by the uncertainty and doubt that is also a characteristic of younger players.
Gillard and Barreau will return this week, and Ben Kelly is a strong defender who can be called up, but there isnt a lot we can do to combat the height issue, and with just 6 players from Saturday who have more than 50 games of league experience to their name, we are going to have some lows amongst the highs this season.

Our defence was very good. Presbury was our best for the second week running, and Habel, Fort, Montgomerie and Weaver all did very well under constant pressure.
Aiden Grace has elite field kicking skills as well as accuracy for goal. When we can get the ball in his hands we are looking good.
by northerner
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R3 Centrals v Glenelg Saturday 2.10PM

bulldogproud wrote:Great to see Connor named in the Ressies. Welcome back, son!

And Nick Lange and Jaxon Neagle make their first appearances for the season, after both over-coming foot issues.

All three players have league experience and all add a bit more height around the ground.
by northerner
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R8 South v Centrals Saturday 1410

Best 4 players on the ground were all playing for South (Broadbent Gibbs Cross and Haine) yet the Dogs were well in the contest for 90 mins.
Lads like Pisani East Lange Dew and Matt Neagle are becoming good consistent league players. Just lacking the class of a Broadbent.
Also continue to be exposed in the aerial contests.

Quick shout out to the umps... hardly noticed and definitely allowed the game to be played. Well done. If I wasn't so lazy I would name them...
by northerner
Sat May 29, 2021 10:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R8 South v Centrals Saturday 1410

Didn’t get to see it but it sounds like a pretty good effort against a really good side

Hopefully that continued effort will see a few W’s before the season is out.

BTW FYI Jaxon Neagle has been hampered with a foot injury and managed just 2 or 3 in the ressies.
Matt Neagle is def a better player than 2019 and is providing excellent rebound with his efficient ball use.
by northerner
Sun May 30, 2021 10:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R9 Centrals v Eagles Saturday 1410

Dogs battled hard (again). Just lacked the class of guys like Stengle Knight and McFarlane and the different targets up fwd (led by underrated Vonvertouch).

Tough team to score against; no side is better at getting numbers back behind the ball.

Presbury continues his career best season and Grace is a classy forward.
Tom Graham was outstanding. Just weeks after being dropped, he worked off Redden including nine marks to two. Thoroughly beaten in ruck but helped negate those Eagle hit outs to the extent we won clearances.
by northerner
Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL MRP News & Discussions

Well part of the case against Hoskin looks better than it did with the player who was involved being able to play this weekend. No concussion or jaw injury.

I don't believe this was Hoskos finest moment but it's not the dog act or sniper action as some claim. It wasn't premeditated. It was a spur of the moment when he saw someone coming at him from side on. The argument could be that on the back of an earlier incident he felt vulnerable.
Swinging arm... not a good look. But not malicious intent... 2 weeks would probably be more appropriate.
by northerner
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R12 Norwood v Centrals Saturday 1410

Once again we got away to a poor start ,got away with it last week but against a good side like Norwood it is to hard to get back .TDJ44 as for selection you are spot on i wonder which of the big blokes will get dropped next week for a small to come in.Not counting Hosko who will return
Thought it was a fair call given the weather conditions. And Grahams game in the ressies didn't give the selectors reason to think they got it wrong.

As for the slow start... both league and reserves were 4 goal to zero down after 11 minutes. And both sides failed to take a single mark in that time.

Jarrad Schiller pulled out with a calf injury. Perfect conditions for him.

Our defence is really coming together with Morton and Llewellyn outstanding and Haydon keeping Barry quiet.
Grace looked really busy but would be disappointed that he didn't finish with 4 or 5 goals.

The newly refurbished opposition changing rooms (yes, that's plural!) at Norwood are really quite impressive.
by northerner
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ben knew that the Club would look at playing the youth ahead of himself at league level.

Will be sorely missed; a lovely lad with a great self-effacing humour and always time for every member of the Club.

An endearing moment that typified the bloke came when he accepted the Reserves Runnerup B and F in 2018. He made reference that he had won the same award back in 2010 and was consequently drafted by Richmond a couple of months later... "So I will be keeping my phone close to my side over the next few days" he added with his cheeky grin!
by northerner
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R13 Central v Port Saturday 2.10

Ill be the first to admit I haven't seen us up close in a while but try and catch as much as I can on the digital pass.

I can understand that if you were an outside looker in you would cast some big doubts over our playing squad.

I mean lets be honest, the likes of Gillard, Lleylwen, Weaver, Pisani, Olsson, Haydon, Barreau are all 30+ games into their career and can anyone honestly see them being part of the next premiership side, have we and they improved much in those last 30 games (2-3 seasons of game...….barely if at all apart from fleeting moments here and there)

Sadly we have this development stagnation where we have these players who are great at ressies level but fail to take the next step to becoming really good consistent league players, not sure why that happens but its been reoccurring over the last five years in particular. I know the fan who sits and watches every kick of both Ressies and league will make a case there is a 1% improvements they have seen on individual players but the cold hard statistics clearly state we are not improving.

My biggest concern is the club and Thommo in particular were talking a big game pre-season (yeah I know you cant talk the team down but the talk about being a top 3 side was extremely ambitious). I really hope the club don't believe we have squad capable of being top 3 because we are so far from that its not funny. If they genuinely think the squad is the top 3 but not fulfilling its talent we are in for another 30+ premiership drought.

Again, someone sees it different to me BUT I think Llewellyn has been absolutely spot on since returning from his 12 month layoff. He is fitter than he has ever been, is attacking the football and hasnt made errors with possession. Nor has he been beaten in any stage in the last 3 games.
I agree re your selection criteria in rating players.. ie "Can they do their role in a GF" but respectfully disagree re Ryan... he gets a definite tick in fitting that criteria from me.
Also believe Barreau and Weaver have more plus side to them than given credit for. Weaves is one of the few who acts as a leader on the park, and is showing more creativity this season; and Cuz has versatility, is courageous and can take a contested grab. All 3 of these lads are terrific role players, and as such they most certainly (IMO) could feature in a GF side.
by northerner
Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Pretty sure someone external has already been approached, an ex-Bulldog with pretty good credentials.
A new pokies venue out of Main North Road has been approved too.
I've been at the board for a few years now to invest money into other avenues, met with very negative responses so far BUT that might all change now.

Meggsy?

Marco? Has marketing background....
by northerner
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Luca's college had first dibs on him. The Dogs couldn't select him.
by northerner
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 SANFL Grand Final WWT Eagles v Glenelg Sunday 3pm

Should be a cracker of a game with both teams fielding a host of talent which clearly set them apart from the rest of the competition this season.

I think the Bays best is better than the WWT at their best. Can the Eags keep them "at Bay" for long enough to win? They did in the 2nd semi, but only just. I am thinking Glenelg will be better prepared this time around.
by northerner
Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 SANFL Grand Final WWT Eagles v Glenelg Sunday 3pm

Yes, the Eagles have always been strong in juniors and that is full credit to their programme over many years. But I think a large part of the Eagles success is they are a "Destination Club"; players with aspirations for success want to play there.
Decent players in their latter years who are chasing Premierships will head to the Eags. And they will often go TO the Eagles and ask to play rather than the Eagles have to chase them down.
Its a vibe momentum which is hard to gain, and needs constant changing approaches to retain, something the Eagles have done better than any other.
by northerner
Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Season 2022 Player Movements

southernbulldog wrote:Hopefully we can get players of league standard unfortunately we have picked up to many good reserves players who arent good enough for league footy .

Yep... but I would suggest 3 of our top 6 this season have also been recruits... Fort, Grace and Grant
by northerner
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

gazzamagoo wrote:The 'Dogs have signed up the Clarence Football Club captain, a full back, exactly what we need.

Zac Beuchner?
23yo who also spent time in the NEAFL.
Would have matched up on Grace in Tassie.
by northerner
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 Best & Fairest Winners

Jarrod Schiller wins centrals B&F

Im sure big phil will post all the awards

Presbury robbed

Schiller is the first 3 time Club Champion.
The SANFL are rewarding players with 10k when they play their 200th game from next season.
With that in mind the Club offered Fish to miss the last game of the season (and his 200th) so as to qualify for this incentive next year. In typical Schiller spirit he opted for Team First and played, rather than extra $$$.

Hopefully the SANFL are made aware and make allowance to fit him in.
by northerner
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Robbie Young announced he has left North
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Could be going further north?
He's not the player we need,so hopefully he has gone to Tailem Bend.
Have we signed anyone else yet,or should I say are we close to signing some players.
Obviously those Fruitful talks Northerner mentioned didn't work out.

You really believe its that easy? These discussions take forever, especially when jobs and accommodation are involved.
To me its a greater surprise that we have scored a decent defender already.
by northerner
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The other clubs look to be recruiting pretty well
At this stage we have signed a key forward and a key defender.
The Club is choosing to announce re-signings of current key players first. It's a fair call.
And the 7 announced re-signings are probably our best 7 players from 2021.
At this stage we haven't lost one player who the coaching staff would have in their best 22.
by northerner
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Disappointing to see Izzy MacKenzie return to the SANFL but to the Crows.

A sign of the times I suppose.

Not sure why but it appears on the surface the relationship between Izzy and Centrals has detoriated . Never came back to Centrals after his WCE experience and then a post on the facebook page and now playing for the Crows.

IIRC he seemed to be a bit of a scapegoat after losses at the end of the Lairdy era.

A shame we couldn't get him back, ready made SANFL footballer imo who could become an elite player.
Doesn't want to train 3 times a week, plus new child

This is why the integrity of sanfl is much less for having the afl clubs calling on top up players.
They get credited with league games for training once a week (as a group) with none of the dedication, commitment and passion that comes with being involved with an SANFL Club.
A guy with 20 league games playing for an SANFL Club has worked damn harder for that tally than one who is a top up player.
by northerner
Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Appear to have signed a quick mid with good credentials.

Now just a ruckman.
by northerner
Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

2 more from the reserves gone, the Kelly brothers, off to Norwood too,
Norwood are going to have a very strong reserves side next season!
Jackson unlikely to play until June and Ben even later due to injuries/operations.
If Connor, Tom Graham and the Kelly's are all expected to play league at Norwood next season then that's not a good sign for the Legs.

Dogs hoping to have some signings to announce in the next week or two.
by northerner
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Likely upcoming SANFL recruitment announcements:

Norwood-
Chris Jansen (Port Melbourne)
Jay Rantall (Collingwood)
Ben Kelly (Central District)
Jackson Kelly (Central District)
Any upcoming recruitment announcements for Centrals?
5 or 6 more that are league standard would be nice.

Hopeful of between 3 and 5 signings in next couple of weeks. The accent this year has been on signing guys who are ready made league players and who fill the roles that are required. If we can secure at least three of these, things will be taking good shape.
by northerner
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sounds promising Northerner ,are you fairly confident we can get them .
Of the 5 or 6 who are in line there is a positive vibe around 3.
The half dozen are made up of a ruck, 2 or 3 key defender/fwds and a mid.
The Club has been aware of seeking quality rather than just topping up the list.
Let's hope their hard work and positive approach pays off with these extra signings.
by northerner
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

This is Test match batting at its best.
Two of the world's best batsmen showing why they are ranked so highly.
Respect.
by northerner
Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just reviewed the ins and outs. South lead the way with 18 out who played league last year. Several others with previous league experience also gone.

On the surface of it, the Eagles have the least ins with 3. There will be more but I would guess they are well placed with good junior development.

West appear to have a like for like in/out movement. Similar for Centrals.

Norwoods outs would be a concern but they appear to have recruited to well. Similar for Sturt.

Glenelg and North have lost more than they have recruited so will be looking to their developing juniors.

Port and Adelaide have lost a few but have used about 2 million dollars each to replace them. Only slightly higher than the other 8 clubs combined salary cap. We are lucky to have them.
Westies recruited double than Centrals.
What do you really think of Dogs recruiting DOC.

From what I've heard, we've recruited 4 walk-up, KEY POSITION A grade players & we've lost only 1, Leek Aleer.
This makes our league side better than last year.
Sure we've lost players but MOST weren't going to go on & play regular league footy,
we'll probably lose a lot of reserves matches next year but so what, they're not there to win a flag.

I would loved to have seen a couple more names announced and think we definitely need a genuine ruckman.
(I know how hard the Club has tried).
I think the saving grace for us is that we haven't lost any of our top 7 or 8 players from 2021 and no other Club can boast that.
by northerner
Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This batting line up plays the short ball as badly as any Aussie line up ever..
Shocking judgment of when to leave and when to play and invariably happy to roll the dice. And some (incl Warner) look downright petrified.

Why? Maybe they face less bouncers domestically these days? Is that a throw back to Phil Hughes?
None of our current batch of quicks bowl a lot of short stuff. Back when we had quicks bowling short, our lads were very capable of not only surviving, but prospering, against bouncers.
by northerner
Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Unbelievable.
We have been bounced out... there's the template.
Yet no short bowling in return.
Bounce used to be our asset. Now its our weakness. Don't bowl them and can't play them.
by northerner
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Credit where its due... Carey had big moments in this game and was much better to his right.

I think the great thing this series is that the big guns took a back seat with Head, Boland and Green having much bigger impact than expected.

Cam Green ... wow, how exciting
by northerner
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |