Search found 269 matches

Return

Re: 2018/19 Australian Summer of cricket

Jim05 wrote:You don’t banish one of the worlds best test players forever. You bring him in with strict guidelines and let him know he is on his last chance

Correct... he has done the time. Now he deserves another opportunity. Hes not a criminal.
by northerner
Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

OK. I love football but I find 3 games in a day too many. I would prefer if the SANFLW game was played at 9 am before the Reserves.

If that is the case (combined player presentations). I will be leaving at the conclusion of the League (male) game and going home and miss the player presentations, something I enjoy doing. Club miss out on me buying meal and drinks.

Centrals Presentations will be held after the league (Mens) game. They will be brought forward from the 6pm time slot of last year.
by northerner
Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2018-19

Rather not even reflect on SAs debacle.... it has an extremely familiar ring to it.....

The great news out of this round of matches is the stellar performances from Harris, Burns, Bancroft, Head and Patterson. Just what was required with not one of these lads scoring less than 50 in a total of nine innings between them.
Only Labuschagne of the Ashes prospects missed the boat but he still made a couple of starts.
by northerner
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ODI & T20 Tour of India

So full credit to the selectors ... Ashton Turner is the real deal.
Khawaja sticks the finger up at Warnes idea of leaving him out.
Marsh the only top order bat to not have an impact in the series thusfar although Finch is still causing headaches.
by northerner
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Female Footy

Allow me to be Devils advocate, why do men playing netball (I believe there is a National comp being held in Melbourne later this month) get no media coverage?

I am all for women having equal opportunity at taking on sports/jobs/pastimes traditionally seen as being a man's profession. But what about men wanting to take on pursuits that have been seen as traditionally female? Doesn't get mentioned.... why is that?
by northerner
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glenelg V Eagles

Makes you wonder why the current B&F gets dropped if in the best the week before.

Changing a coach can take time for players to understand it etc . However you did play a premiership favourite at this stage .

Not the first SANFL Coach to show displeasure at Boyd.
And I am led to believe that Godden made some concessions to his beliefs to accommodate Boyd.
by northerner
Tue May 07, 2019 2:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Central V Glenelg

I'm so happy what a wonderful day at the football.Living the dream. :D
Centrals top of the ladder undefeated Reserves team lost to bottom of the ladder winless Glenelg. Great start to the day.
Then the Red White and Blue traffic cones aka CD League Team were humiliated by Glenelg on our own oval. Never seen such happy supporters (needless to say they were Glenelg supporters).

Then the Crows lost by a point, I'm just waiting for Port Power to win to complete my great weekend.

In case you didn't realise, this is bitter sarcasm. Anyone got a rope? :evil:
At least the right political party won!!

Ah I see what you did there... the RIGHT party won...
by northerner
Sun May 19, 2019 12:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Central V Glenelg

We were very, very poor. Bays were toying with us. Our cause wasn't helped by being knobbled at the selection table, it was ridiculous the lack of height and size in our team.

Correct. Fraser Fort was the only tall to contribute. We have no genuine tall up fwd and Madden was our onlt tall defender and he has been dwarfed against Brampton and McBean in consecutive weeks. And we have no ruckman who is able to contribute in any meaningful way at all. Usually I see reason behind some of our selection/recruiting decisions but to release Hannath and take on 3 unknowns seemed bizarre given Forts elevation to AFL.

On the flipside, Glenelg were very impressive. Balanced and brave. Good decision making and excellent overhead. And decent players still to return.
It's called planning for the future! Hannath had to go, wasn't going to succeed & the new guys are young & will get better.
Agree with the investment in the future... but did Hannath have to go? He would hold down a Key Forward spot and help the lads with his experience...he is ex AFL after all.
by northerner
Sun May 19, 2019 2:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ODI World Cup 2019

Brodlach wrote:NCN :?

Is the reason we cannot win... he and Stoinis provide nothing. Sides need to take no risks against starc and Cummins and then make up against our change bowlers.
by northerner
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Centrals v Eagles Sat 1410

Ben Walter?
Connor McLean didn't play.

Apparently Connor has left Centrals.

Should have been playing league, why he didn't get picked I can't fathom.[/ quote]

Um, did you see his last game in reserves? One kick and one handball...

Meanwhile Falkenberg (5 goals) and Nick Lange (6 goals) in just his second game in 10 months showed the direction we should be heading...
by northerner
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Maxwells run out and a diving catch from Carey worth checking out.
by northerner
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Do not underestimate Maxis effort last night. Langer used him in his best role with the bat coming in at the death. A perfect cameo. And then an excellent effort with the ball against spin savvy SL.
by northerner
Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Langer has to walk surely.
Kept backing in that Uber spud Stoinis Can understand they gave him every opportunity to perform but now surely the faith in him has run out.
Cant blamr langer...we just dont have all rounder options. Marsh and Stoinis have had ample chances and proven not good enough...... there is nothing on the horizon. It was our weakness heading into the series and remains as such.
by northerner
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Central V Sturt

In the spirit of a Monty Python Classic...
At least the lads lost by 5 points and not the 12 goals you predicted.
And .. you won the lucky money draw!

I love my Dogs mate but the quality of my life does not hang on their results. Chin up fella.

Losing by 12 goals would have been better than losing like that. I won't be sucked in by them thinking they're going to win again.

I suggest you should not attend any more matches this year. It's affecting you far too much. Take up an activity that you can have control over. I am being serious mate.
by northerner
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Central V Sturt

What happened with the reversal free?

Soft off the ball free kick against doggies when coming out of defence.

It was silly but hardly worth a reversal.

Two players wrestling, Sturt player took a dive. F***en joke.

Steven Slimming... match winning acting. This guy is an outright tool. Week after week he antagonises and irritates and when players react he makes every effort to be seen as a victim. The umpires need to understand this passive aggressive freak should not be believed.
If memory serves me correct 3 maybe 4 opposition players have been reported for "belting" this guy this season. I am sure opposition players would have little respect for his actions. He isnt going to change his ways but hopefully the umpires will realise hes playing them as fools.
by northerner
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Ashes 2019

At least with Andersons injury we are both playing with 10 now.
Ive said it before but what ever happened to picking your best 11 and then choosing a captain from those 11, Its disgraceful that this bloke gets a game because they haven't got the balls to put a Cummins, Head or Khawaja in charge, **** me its only the captain of a cricket team not the prime minster. We cant win the Ashes with Paine, Carey must come in. Id also go as far as to say it would be the CA board that puts Paine in charge, the selectors would get no say in it
Its a dilemma for the selectors/Board... IMO Paine was the absolute Godsend we needed when our Brand stunk up the joint. His diplomacy and resilience was Gold when we needed a public face with experience, composure and charisma to wade through the Darkest Hours. He was great in instilling a change in direction in Culture.
Right now he is holding back Carey who is clearly a better bat, but maybe just behind as a keeper, but not enough to keep him out. However, I think the Board feels indebted to him for his efforts.
So, whilst I agree with your thought re Carey, I feel its harsh to call it a disgrace... the guy has served us well in difficult times.
by northerner
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just got to keep plugging away. Bowling well with not one ounce of luck. Burns looks likely to get out any stage.
by northerner
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Haters can hate....
But we are in the presence of greatness. Amazing.
The least deserving of the three to receive a lenghthy ban has his ultimate redemption.
by northerner
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Surely Starc replaces Patterson. Hazlewood and Siddle are not both required.

Mitch Johnson preempted the switch between Starc and Patto 24 hrs ago saying how the different angles of a leftie with the slope are invaluable. And a dry surface underneath means Lyon will enjoy bowling into Starcs footmarks.

The issue with Starcs bowling is he is likely to have that bad over that releases the pressure for the English bats. Patto had an over just like that in the second innings and was replaced straight away. Reckon it was his last over bowled...prob didnt help.
by northerner
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Roy Laird’s last season coaching

He initiated the change of the predominantly white guernsey & socks . He went about changing perceptions & standards.

NO. Daryl Hicks implemented the white guernsey and socks. Kerley wanted to change the guernsey but wasn't able to, he did bring in better socks though. In fact when the company delivered the new socks they were incorrectly designed in that they were white in the bottom third. Management were just going to take thenm but Kerley made them send them back and made the company send the correct ones.

Daryl Hicks also implemented a better playing culture.

Sorry, you’ve misunderstood stood me.
My post meant to say that Kerley wanted to get rid of the white guernsey/socks.
Depends who you talk to I guess, but Centrals people involved with the club that I know told me firsthand that Kerley was the one who changed the club.

Kerleys name is never mentioned when Club Culture is discussed. He was nowhere as impactful as the Club had hoped for. Clearly semi-retired as a coach at that stage.

Make no doubt Alan Stewart is the Father of CDFC! Roy is the Heir Apparent!
by northerner
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Marnie has clearly passed his examination. A genuine Test batsman mentality which seems to be scarce in modern times. Happy to occupy time. And brave.
Big question marks over Archer today. Many deliveries he just rolled his arm over and he looked agitated... probably unbelieving that he could go more than 20 balls and not take a wicket.
by northerner
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nice captains knock from Root, full respect.

Meanwhile our captain is a complete hack and has to go NOW It's hard to think of an Australian captain who's contributed less.
Large role played in turning our Team Culture 180 degrees in 12 months. Did it better than anybody else available at that time.

Sure hes likely to be replaced over the next few months but he deserves respect.
by northerner
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Maybe Starc would hVe been handy with a decent yorker or two at Leach at the end.
by northerner
Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I went to bed at 4-229 and thought we would lose it because of the way we were bowling. Just utter rubbish. Hardly any deliveries would've hit the stumps in the first session. 5 wides by Patto? Don't really know what he was doing but he looked ready for a spell.

I was surprised to get so close in the end. The comical part of it was that I hear we bowled bouncers to the tail again? What is that tactic? Can no one bowl a good yorker any more? Then to hear that we stuffed up a DRS and the umpires stuffed up a simple LBW chance just goes to show that the game is run in farcical fashion.
Yes I agree ... the bowling immediately after Roots dismissal was the period that really let the Poms in the game. I had to force myself to not leave at lunch cos I also was convinced we wld lose at that stage.

And lose we did. But I have to admit I am glad I saw it...
by northerner
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Really pleased to see Paine get a 50. His lack of runs has resulted in many critics and whilst he is unlikely to go on beyond next summer he deserves to be recognised in the future as a great conduit for the changing of the Aussie cricket team culture. He has a magnificent attitude towards winning and losing in a competitive but fair manner.
I think his attitude immediately after losing the 3rd Test and in between Tests was a major reason we did not succumb as many pundits thought we would.

Some pearls of wisdom that typified his mind set:

“I know from outside a lot’s been made. We’ve heard Jofra talk about momentum and the ball’s in their court, and all this sort of stuff,”

“You can believe in that story if you want to.”

Australia only “deals in facts”.

I for one love the astute wisdom and calm approach he has. Not saying he doeant make errors but his demeanour and good guy but still combative approach has been perfect coming at a time when we stunk both in Oz and overseas.
by northerner
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: End of season Retirements and move ons

News from Centrals BandF is that most players remaining for next season including Goodrem and Jenner (who finished 6th in the count).
Jydon Neagle and Brodie Mahoney only confirmed OUTS.
Troy Menzel has signed to go again.
Justin Hoskin did receive an offer from Norwood but is remaining with the Dogs.
Now for some recruits to help out the good bunch of kids coming through.
Sam Milne to return after 12 months overseas.
by northerner
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: End of season Retirements and move ons

Huge loss , had a great year I thought. Good way to go out but disappointing .
Agreed.
Losing White and Partington and possibly a few others will hopefully bring them back to the pack a bit

I never thought they were that far in front. It was fairly even this season again. Next season will be anyone's again at this time .
They were that far in front of the legitimate SANFL clubs it wasn’t funny

Agree. Their forward line was the most potent of any I recall in recent memory. The only Club who could have lost their best forward (mid season draft) and still had three talls running amok.
by northerner
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2020 Player movement

It appears that the Dogs may be close to nabbing a son of an AFL legend from Wagga, a quick mid who has played ressies at Sydney.
by northerner
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Josh Glenn Doping Ban

Sounds like Norwood are supporting him with counseling etc... as stated on tonight’s news/NFC website.

Sadly there are most likely a few more Josh Glenn’s in the competition (as with the general society).

Clubs need to set standards and do their research.
Would be plenty of guys in ammo and country leagues on the stuff. I guess when he was taking the stuff he didn’t see himself playing SANFL that season
Pending court case alone should have been enough to make Norwood think twice about signing him on.

A very talented footballer. Will surely be ruing his choices. His family will be important right now.
by northerner
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

UK Fan wrote:https://cdfc.com.au/news/experience-invaluable/

Menzel signed

That gives us our 5th quality star at SANFL level... Schiller times two Menzel times two and Hoskin.
Need another couple of top shelf players.
Maybe it comes from within? Presbury or Fort or a youngster such as East or Shaw?
by northerner
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Roy Laird’s last season coaching

Many good judges suggest that Digger (Ben Hanna) would have been fine under Roys regime. Shame he never tried league footy..

I also believe Sam will be a better player Post Roy...he is highly talented with great marking ability and a big engine. However rightly or wrongly he didnt enjoy Roys coaching style.

Just a side note..Milney never spat it under Roy. He had leg ops at end of 2018 that were ruling him out of half a season so he took advantage and had 12 months overseas. Was always coming back.
by northerner
Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trans Tasman Trophy

Could anyone here see Ponting ducking and weaving Wagner?
Imagine how this Australian team would've fared against the Windies of the 80s and 90s. Its poor batting that Wagner is made to look like he's bowling 150km/hr thunderbolts. Smith has a long way to go to be rated best after Bradman.
Ponting, Hayden and Blewett would all be playing him on the front foot through mid wicket, Wagners career would last one Test against those blokes.
I don't think it's so much the pace but the way the Aussies have played Wagner has alot to do with ego and temperament, aswell as Wagner's execution and accuracy of his bouncer. We all know with the way Aussies play they are always going to take the short ball on looking for runs and it's very hard for them to put away the pull and hook shot and look to duck, evade and leave the ball, it's unnatural and it's been hard to not full into the simple trap that Wagner sets. It's not great cricket to watch bowling like that and getting wickets that way, but it plays on the Aussie bastmans ego and has been very effective for him and you have to respect him for his effort and execution so far. Let's just see if he can keep it up in second innings and then the third test.
Agree.
Wagners bouncer is accurate and skids on due to his smaller stature.
But I think guys like Smith and Wade werent intimidated... they just dont want to take the risk. Smith was out twice last game to Wagner's short stuff so decided he would not play cross bat. This played into Wagners hands.. Wade also. It took Paines compulsive pulling before Wagner had to adjust. His approach was great. He smacked them when below eyeline and pulled out when they were above his line of sight.

Compulsive viewing though.
by northerner
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trans Tasman Trophy

Soft dismissal, Burns gives Santner his first wicket.
Smith looking to score early, maybe him and Wade will look to accelerate?

Send in Starc or Cummins next

Whole entire reason why we are batting now is to properly freshen up and prepare the pace guys for their onslaught tomorrow. Defeats the purpose if they come out tonight.
by northerner
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We have definitely recruited well in numbers but will be interesting to see what sort of quality.

The last two recruits the South bloke and the NTFL Thunder guy have played alot more ressies than league football which doesnt stack up greatly to being a successful SANFL league player.

I'm optimistic but very cautious.
but we really need the depth.

Agree we need depth but more importantly imo we need more league standard players, adding that would naturally add depth

I think our depth is fine... lots of guys who can play a reasonable role at league level.

Our issue is lack of elite players who can significantly impact on a game. Daniel Menzel is one such player, takes us to 5.... still short by two or three.
by northerner
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

hufc"]

Agree we need depth but more importantly imo we need more league standard players, adding that would naturally add depth

I think our depth is fine... lots of guys who can play a reasonable role at league level.

Our issue is lack of elite players who can significantly impact on a game. Daniel Menzel is one such player, takes us to 5.... still short by two or three.
Menzel, Menzel, Hoskin, Boyd, Schiller, Schiller,
I reckon Presbury will step up now as well, we're getting there.

Boyd was the one I didn't add, based on his last season.
You are right on Pres... also guys like Furnell, Dew, McLean and Fort. Several guys have not stepped up to that next level over the last 2 or 3 years and under a different coach/approach and a does of luck with injuries (esp Dew, Furnell and Connor) might yet be ready to become that impact player they can be.
by northerner
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2020 favorites

You forgot to add ZAC is a bayman.
That he is but you’re not disputing what I said.

Nope. He is great for the league. As is Warren Partland from the Tiser, who may be a Southie.
I thought Partland was a Centrals man?
Indeed he is although his weekly TIPS would not indicate that :)
Both guys are SANFL legends, end of story!
by northerner
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 2 West Adelaide v Central District

The Dogs had 7 replacements from Round One and a new coaching emphasis that they are adjusting too.
Plus a whole bunch of kids who are doing well, but are inconsistent as is to be expected with the youth.
Getting smashed in the clearances over the first two matches (lots of smaller frames), but look to be good on the break.

A few returning this week, depth isn't an issue. Just the experienced performers. Damn, we could have been a threat with Menzels and Butch up fwd.
by northerner
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 3 Centrals v South 1145 FFS Elizabeth

The Club has SIX proven elite players at SANFL level on their 2020 list...… only two (Boyd and Troy Menzel) played this week. The rest of Saturday's side was made of useful role playing vets and a bunch of youngsters; some clearly have what it takes but lack consistency, and others are yet to prove themselves at this level.
And whilst they are finding their feet, they are reticent to take the game on, to run hard with the ball, and to look down the ground for dangerous options.
I have faith in the coaching group; they will unearth some gems this year, a season which is clearly about rebuilding.

I saw little bits of your game on Saturday. and perhaps coming from the perspective of where my own club sits, I thought your mob - Whilst they're in a faze of trying to work up to being a legitimate contender as opposed to already being in that bracket - You couldn't fault their application and committment to the body and contested situations, which is in direct contrast to my own mob who's senior players should rightly be questioned about their committment on the field.

I guess that's my point. We only had two 'stars" in our line up; most of those who played would not be known outside those of us with invested interest in the up-and-coming Juniors. I share your view that Norwood's results are more alarming as they have a star-filled midfield and were GF aspirants just 3 weeks ago.
Still, I would think the Legs might yet turn it around, where as we have the (re)building construction signs up!
by northerner
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 5 Centrals v North Saturday 1410

No wrist slitting from this Doggies fan....

We clearly lack talls up fwd, not assisted by having Butcher, Menzel, Falkenberg and McLean on the injury list.
However, I have been most impressed by the efforts of Stephenson at CHF in the last fortnight. He has taken a couple of grabs and has competed at every contest. Looks fitter than I have seen for quite some time.
This is clearly a rebuilding year, with a whole heap of kids being given opportunities to test their ability at league level. Some are not there yet, while others have what it takes but don't have the experience or physique to stick at it for 4 quarters.
Jack Toner was the latest 18yo to get a debut this week.
At some stage we might see 17yo Lachie Grubb get a game, his pace and skill in the last two ressies outings have been very exciting. He won the sprint held at half time of last season's GF. A 4-bounce running goal from the centre towards the goal square in the last quarter was sensational.

North appeared a different side in the second half. They would be happy to have got the points without Wigg, Moore or Hender having to star. Harvey was far too strong (physically) and LeBois is exciting. Schwarz just gets the job done, decent Blue Collar worker.
by northerner
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 6 WWWT v Centrals Saturday 1410

Another loss but only by 30 points. Eagles should have won by at least 10 goals.

8 games left.

We outscored them after quarter time and we won 2 quarters. It that positive enough for you Northerner and Gazza?

What positive did you come up with this week N.
The outstanding game from Rhett was a highlight whilst Durdin and OBrien are developing nicely.

Which of the younger players are you enjoying see develop?
by northerner
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 10 South v Centrals Saturday 1410

I like the look of Barreau from central certainly a player who shows a bit.

Well spotted.
Marcus kicked his second goal at the 7 minute mark of the second quarter and at that stage had 9 possessions and plenty of hustle, and also a decent hanger in front of the Souths coaches box. On fire.... extraordinarily he picked up one handball for the remainder of the game.

And that is where we are at right at this point of time.
We have the Schillers, the Menzels (when fit), Hoskin and Boyd who can provide class in most quarters of most games. Then we have a batch of youngsters who show glimpses and then vanish again, sometimes back into the ressies a game or two after looking like they may have "arrived"
Emphasising the reliance on too few over long stretches of time, at three quarter time the Dogs had 60 tackles with 29 of theses shared by Travis, Jarrad and Pisani. At the same time 9 players had a TOTAL of six. No wonder we have guys running out of gas late in games.
Sustaining effort over 4 quarters, and match after match is the challenge for the next breed of Bulldog.
by northerner
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 11 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 1410

Murray Stephenson will not play this week after getting 2 matches (down to 1 for a guilty plea) for his dangerous tackle on Loneragen (has ended his season and is not in a good way), Not suggesting it was on purpose and it was graded as reckless.

I think he received a one match penalty (down to a reprimand) earlier this year against Norwwod for the same offence.

Without knowing the reasons behind citing players, it peeves me that Troy Menzels season ended after a Sturt player threw him to the ground in a tackle. Yet he wasn't referred to a tribunal...
by northerner
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 11 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 1410

So very pleased for Ben Nason... has anyone had such a roller coaster ride as he? A good fit for the game plan that Andrews is trying to instil.

A question for Redleg followers... were any of you surprised at what Chris Olsson served up today? He has been impressive this year with his fwd 50 defensive efforts but 2day he showed his attacking flair.
I am sure he was always struggling to get into a strong Nwd line up but I reckon he might be better than the Legs coaching group gave credit for...
by northerner
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glenelg breach Covid

Costing a fine of $5000 for dancing and drinking breaches.

The Dogs hierarchy aborted presentations last night after being concerned about crowd size.
Best to be safe rather than sorry. Clubs cannot afford the fines.
by northerner
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R14 Centrals v Eagles Saturday 1410

Full kudos to Jade Sheedy who came into the rooms to make a speech honouring Alfie and Goodie

Murray Stephenson also leaving, taking on coaching role in Wagga.

Youngsters such as Jackson Kelly, Toner, Olsson and OBrien leave us with plenty of hope next season (AFL call ups not withstanding)
by northerner
Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R14 Centrals v Eagles Saturday 1410

Looking forward to next season with plenty of optimism .If we carry over the type of footy we have played against Norwood,Eagles & Glenelg we will improve and win more than we lose thats the sort of footy we want to see .Both Menzels will be handy even better forward line if Butch plays on.

And a fit Izzy!

And some proactive recruiting going on... a couple of recently delisted AFL lads; "possible" on a Nth Melb player, and "promising" on a Bomber.
by northerner
Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: JEFF ANDREWS GONE!

He was on the phone speaking with potential recruits today so it's fair to say he was blindsided.

Not a great look for any prospective applicant from outside the Club.
Maybe an insider is in the loop...the Club must be confident that they have someone to step in.
by northerner
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I would sincerely hope that the reasons for his sacking amount to more than some of the reasons speculated on so far. Gazza alluded to some type of incident (unless I read into that wrongly) which would seem more likely.
The other concern I have would be if they have already appointed Thommo, who despite being a fan favourite, doesn’t really have any experience as a senior coach and may not be the best candidate in a year where a lot of well credentialed coaches are in the market. The official announcement will be (hopefully) very interesting..

Thommo may well have got the gig if he was available last year.
And he has been very impressive in his assistant role.
It would be the ONLY appointment that would be palatable amongst players and fans alike given the circumstances as they appear atm...
by northerner
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 Player movements

gazzamagoo wrote:
northerner wrote:Probably irrelevant now... Kobe Mutch from Essendon list was a big chance to come to the Dogs with his brother.

why irrelevant now

Jeff was the sole contact. I guess it depends how much the deal was based on Jeff being coach...
by northerner
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The club's stand on this issue is simple,
We're a different club at Centrals,
it's a different environment than the other clubs & we need to stick to what's best for us,
don't appoint from outside the club because they wouldn't understand how we operate & our culture,
it didn't work with Cowboy,
it didn't work with Kerley,
it didn't really work with Clarko,
success came from the hard work of people like Alan Stewart, Kris Grant, Bill Cochrane & Roy Laird & all the die-hard volunteers who bleed for the club,,
You couldn't get a better Red, White & Blue pedigree than Paul Thomas,
his old man is a legend of the club, as is Paul too & now we have a female Thommo running around,
Port stuck with this principle for years & look where that got them in the SANFL,
we've copied them before & it worked,
time to get back to basics, back to our roots & start to rebuild the winning culture.
At least we'll now have the 100% support of all the players.

Then why did they appoint an outsider for 3 years? Who is taking accountability for that decision?

This indeed was their biggest error.

As for how it's panned out, they have their man... the guy they who they would have chosen 12 months ago if he was available.
Now they get him, at half the price.
by northerner
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |