West
North
Glenelg
by northerner
Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australia Tour of Bangladesh

From a cricket's lover point of view... how good is Shakib? Easy to see why he is currently the world's premier all-rounder. And he has fire in the belly also. Love his work.
by northerner
Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Weak as piss, the majority of them. Our keeper was the difference.....M Wade 9 runs minus 30 byes equals -21 runs. Australia lose by 20!
You are not taking into account missed chances..... he is an average keeper, average bat and average bloke..... Alex Carey come on down.... big call but what the hey....
by northerner
Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So huge kudos for Nathan Lyon. Big pass mark for David Warner.... both appear to have learnt lessons from previous efforts in the sub-continent.
Round of applause for Cummins who appeared strong and with a heart of a lion. Handscomb also achieves a pass and I like what Agar has to offer.....

Not much after that.... guys like our own Travis Head and Alex Carey will be licking their lips at the thought of holes in the Test team that they could fill.
by northerner
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Finals Week 3- Preliminary Final Week.

The way I see it is the Eagles form over the last six weeks was about how I expected them to be all year. Their first 4 months was definitely a case of over-achieving, and Gooden deserves credit for that.
Definitely not enough players who hurt oppositions on the scoreboard.... some great defenders and some mids who accumulate without having an effect on the game.

Sturt have proven to be more than a one-season wonder. Mattner is one of the very few coaches who are not obsessed with the all-out chip and possess style of game. Excellent mids, and a good spread of talls.

As for this week? The SANFL are damned whatever the result... if Port win there will be the uproar that there should be. If they lose, the question of integrity will be raised..... "Do AFL-based players care enough about a SANFL Premiership?"
by northerner
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: INS and OUTS for 2018

Dogwatcher wrote:
Grenville wrote:Heard a whisper yesterday Trent Goodrem will retire and will be coaching Golden Grove.

As far as I can tell, it wasn't announced at presso night.

Reichert, Collier, Stevens and Edmead have announced departures.

Goodie is a definite for 2018, as is fellow veteran Alfie Jenner.
by northerner
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This probably needs a thread of its own but it is disappointing reading of the retirements of so many player in the mid to late 20s in SANFL. Its probably a sad indictment on the competition that players see no future and perhaps move to lesser leagues for more money.
http://sanfl.com.au/thanks-memories-2017/

It has been a big but unacknowledged problem for a long time IMO, but what to do about it?
Restrict training both starting preseason and during the week during the seasons? But does this then promote mediocrity? On the other hand, NFL players have written into their Agreement the number of times coaches can have contact with them.
Find new revenue avenues so we can compete with the lesser leagues? Not sure what the AFL would think of this, butYou'd think the AFL would acknowledge the importance of second-tier comps, especially for those delisted players who have only been footballers since school.
Acknowledge that, if so many players in their prime don't want to play at this level, or only seem to play for a couple years, then perhaps the SANFL is an irrelevant league and we should just wrap it up?

How is it that so many players leave in their prime? Lack of validation in this comp.... Kory Beard retires as a dual Premiership player at the age of 27; What the,,,,? He is in the BEST Club environment of any Club in the entire state, and its not enough.... not Sturt's fault.... the AFL has blood on its hands. But its blood from wounds they have knowingly inflicted.
The AFL does not show any interest in promoting the SANFL as a stand-alone comp. It continues to focus on having a list of causes it supports with its endless specific rounds, and has dedicated all its resources and finances towards a Womans AFL comp to the detriment of the second-tier comps. This they do in the name of PC and equity.... the day I read about a Thunderbirds Mens team competing in the National Netball League is the day I accept we have full equity in our sporting landscape,
by northerner
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If you are currently concerned your Club hasn't appeared to fare so well with recruits this off-season, then you can feel (simultaneously) safe and sick in the knowledge that most of the eight SANFL Clubs are in the same boat.

SAFE....... most recruits are returnees or players moving Club based on the GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER logic. I would suggest this appears our driest run ever as a collective for interstate recruits. Apart from some useful gets for Norwood and Tropiano to North there is no interstate guns of note with at least 6 Club supporters feeling they are coming up short-changed for 2018.
SICK..... this is reflective of the interstate lads not buying into what Clubs are attempting to sell re the SANFL. Club chiefs are frustrated and they are forlornly hoping the SANFL can offer assistance to allure players to the comp. The lack of decent name recruits, on top of the talented core of top SANFL players who have retired before their time, is the most significant PLAYER statement in the history of the competition. Without credibility, the league has nothing to offer.

Many of us may be at our lowest ebb ever in terms of off-season anticipation of (a) our own Clubs playing stocks, and (b) the standard of competition.
by northerner
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Ashes 2017/2018

Interesting to reflect on other poster's opinions on the playing XI. I find myself in agreeance with what most have written, particularly the in-depth summaries from boney and whufc.

The one player that I appear to rate differently to others is Tim Paine. This guy is a brilliant fit and a master stroke from the much-maligned selectors. He goes about his job with no fuss, barely being noticed, which is what you want from your keeper. He is a better gloveman (and less abrasive) than Wade and a better bat than Nevill whilst not losing anything as a keeper in comparison. The ONLY negative to his selection is his age, but this is covered because our next keeper WILL BE Alex Carey and Paine's selection buys Carey the 12-24 months he needs before he is ready to strut his stuff in the Test arena.... in the meantime he will pick up exposure in the National ODI side.
by northerner
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TDK's International Test Cricket Update's

Well done India... The locals served up a wicket they expected would favour the home team and the Indians turned it against them. Kohli has given this team a spine.
by northerner
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Tour of South Africa

Lightning McQueen wrote:
bennymacca wrote:almost as bad as Mark Webber

To Webber's defence, it must be hard picking up a root when you're an F1 driver.

Lightning McQueen would know? :D
by northerner
Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BBL 2017/2018

Thank God Pollard didnt hit the winning runs on that last ball... very average cricketer with plenty to say and would have whooped it up big time. Actuually his lazy attempt with the boot in stopping a boundary was the difference in the end.

I will defend Neser... but hard to build any case for Lehmann. Has not had any impact with the bat and certainly would have been the villain if we lost. We cant afford to be a bowler short ... and Agar or O'Connor would probably get at least as many runs as Lehmann and also Wells.

Weatherald is another Aussie international in the making.
by northerner
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BBL 2017/2018

Its hard to fully invest in a squad that has so few locals and in a game that can be dominated by players who don't have the mental toughness and courage to succeed at Test level.
But it provides tv viewing during low ratings season. And captures the 6yos interest. And there are always a couple of up and comers who get national attention... on this occasion Short Weatherald and Jye Richardson.
I see them as the equivalent of preseason cups in footy. Interesting to watch but results forgotten very quickly.
by northerner
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

He averages 63 > 126 per Test.

63 is his average per completed innings. Doubling it does not get his average runs per test, as there are a number of times he either doesn't bat twice or more importantly, remains not out in an innings.

Smith has scored 6100ish runs over 62 tests. That is, he averages approx. 98 per test.

And that average per Test is greater than any on the list from bennymaccas screenshot...except for the Don.
He is not my favourite skipper (S. Waugh for mine), nor the best to watch (Ricky), but despite all his quirks he has the same passion, and bloody-mindedness that typifies the greats.
by northerner
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Our next best bats after warner and smith are the marsj brothers... both who were not on selectors radar 6 months ago. Shaun fights hard and Mitch is almost there. After that we have nada. Bancroft should still be learning his craft and khwaja is on borrowed time. But handscomb does not have technique nor form. Ppl calling for renshaw to have been selected may not have read his form line in shield cricket prior to selections.
Travis head and darcy short might be next best options but they also arr works in progress.
Our strength is our bowlers... mt make for an interesting days play today. This is a reverse swing wicket.
by northerner
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Extraordinary outburst that.... bancroft aint mouthy and steve smith aint a flat track bully. Warner is mouthy but he did very well in backing up with the bat.
Hoping ur own team loses because of their behaviour? Behaviout which has seen far less sanctions placed on them in last 2 years that south Africa. And no mention of Rabadas indiscretion? By anyone on here? Gawd help us... if that was Starc this page would have exploded with venomous vitriole.
Bizarre.... in attacking the aussies (and ALL of them at that) we see insults as boorish and abusive as the perpetrators used in the first place.
Still... at least you kept Candace out of it
by northerner
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Another fascinating day. With batting to be easier in the third innings than the first we might well set a target that will present a challenge to SA.

Say what you like about warner and lyon but both accepted responsibility for their indiscretions. Meanwhile Rabada continues the trend of the Proteas... dekock appealed his punishment with his coach saying he did nothing wrong...Two officials with the masked fans said they just had photo and were not showing support for these louts...and Rabada says he didnt mean to make contact with Smith. This team has far more indiscretions than our lads yet somehow portray themselves as victims and the gullible and naive buy into it.
by northerner
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

De Villiers is a gun... a level above all the BS.

Need 350 to 400 in this innings. Will be easier than the first innings. Who is going to step up? Is Khwaja going to save his Test career? Can Warner shut out all the distractions? Can Smith turn his good starts into something of substance?

Tests are all about mental toughness... I am looking 4wd to see who can show it...
by northerner
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have always felt Smith was harshly dealt with by Aussies who seemed ready to knife him far too easily. Today I walk away from him. He is clearly not ableader of men and should be sent home along with Bancroft who will cop a suspension. And now it puts into perrspective his head shaking every time hes dismissed and the use of referrals when hes plumb. It also sheds light on his looking into the dressing room after being given out in India. The guy is a modern day WG Grace.
The ONLY saving grace is he fronted a presser and accepted responsibility...unlike dePlessis who holds similar undesirable traits as Smith but has never accepted fault for his or any od his team mates misdemeanours.
by northerner
Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I keep asking why I feel so saddened by this... so let down?
I am also aware that others have been found guilty and received fines and even Tendulkar was banned for a game. No further recourse. So why do people feel so strong about banning those involved for a lengthy period?
I think that this has awoken us all to what some already knew... the culture of this team stinks. Somehow we all believed we as Aussies played hard but fair.... that was Steve Waugh to a tee, and guys like Pidge, Punter and Warney. Have a sledge, have a beer....And this mob professed to carry on this same mantra, but they had blurred the lines. For two hours, Warner called deKock every name under the sun with foul mouthed insults about weight, appearance, characteristics, gait, but the one riposte that deKock replied with in earshot of just two people was supposedly 'crossing the line'... a line that the Aussies decided upon?

Carey said in the second test that he hoped the Aussies would lose. I thought that was a bizarre statement at the time... Carey I apologise, you were onto this mob whilst I was in denial.

Re the ball-tampering, based on precedents, I don't think we will see and long term bans. And apart from those players involved being given next week off, I don't see any further suspensions. But this must be the moment where the culture is addressed. Boof cannot be coach any longer; his hypocrisy has been highlighted. Smith cannot be captain; his integrity is destroyed. Warner cannot be involved in the leadership group as he is so often front and centre in any incident. David Sakers role msut be in doubt; he appears to have been involved with other teams that were guilty of ball-tampering and I would imagine he was sitting in on the mysterious leadership group.
by northerner
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What if Bancroft did it on his own and Smith has jumped in and taken the blame even though he knew nothing of it?
I had that thought when I saw Smith hang Bancroft out to dry in the presser... "You wanna explain that?" he said when asked what went down. My thinking went further... that Warner and Bancroft hatched the plan and Smith has taken responsibility as captain.

Time will tell... its probably me still in denial.
by northerner
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We will not see or hear of Dave Warner in Australian cricket ever again unless local media report how he is going in the Pakistan T20 comp
I beg to differ, the media loves to get controversial figures in the commentary box whether they are liked or not.
AND the same station will pay milliins for a 60 minute exclusive... we are a society that continues to reward those who dont deserve it.
by northerner
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Payne has been so gutsy with the bat in the last 2 tests when the top order have failed.

Ive always been really impressed with Payne, he's well respected & would make a good leader of this troop.

The best player isn't always the best choice as skipper.

How prophetic.... Paine has been a revelation this summer. Yesterday I wouldnt have thought this waa necessary... now this changes everything. Smith xannot carry on. Integrity is vital for a leader... and cannot be restored overnight. Smith would u have apologised if this had not been brought to light? So... how often have you been guilty of other forms of cheating? Your answer doesnt matter because you have no integrity and I dont believe you.

Sad day... beaten on the field by an arrogant nation and self destruction within.

Over to the footy pages now.
by northerner
Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I sincerely hope Smith is not given the same punishment as Warner. The remorse and contrition that Smith is exhibiting is immense. Unlike Warner, Smith is inherently a decent bloke who is not by nature a manipulative or conniving person. He comes over as naïve, not worldly in the slightest. I have NO doubt that Warner is the instigator, whilst Smith's biggest crime was not being strong enough to say NO. And it seems he was not the only one who needed to say NO to Warner over the past few seasons.
I would be happy if Warner receives a long enough ban to seriously consider walking away. I hope Smith receives far less. I hope the Aussie public cuts him some slack as person, if not as a skipper.
by northerner
Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Grenville wrote:Who would've picked that Warner was nothing but a cancer on Australian cricket, I detested the cretin from day one. How people were seduced by this arsewipe is beyond me.

Because he was good... simple. Not a good reason but it is what it is.
by northerner
Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hard on the three lads coming in when they havent had any time to adjust to conditions and bowlers. Especially when it is arguable that they are up to the job in the first place. No century maker in this line up. Paine is our best bat... should bat six ahead of Mitch who has headed south since the first test.
Sayers is just honest at best folks... and dont even think about comparing him to philander.
by northerner
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Khawaja and Marsh are done and dusted.
Despite losing 3 players long term they should never play again for their country.
Easy to say that and while I tend to agree we simply do not have the batting depth to just give them the flick forever.

My question to everyone (not just you AF) that says certain blokes have to go is who do you replace them with? Khawaja and Marsh and head and shoulders above the next tier of Sheffield Shield batsman. Please do your research on who's next in the cue and come up with logical replacements before saying certain blokes shouldn't be selected to play for our country again.

Its a sad fact but TDK is spot on, one thinks alot of pain ahead for Australian test cricket for sometime
Our batting has been reliant on those two convicted criminals for some time. And sadly Mitch Marsh also checked out same time that Davey Cam and Steve did.

Tim Paine and Pat Cummins are the only two Aussies who have any positives to come out of this series.
by northerner
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not up to Willaston standards, but exceeds Norwoods.
Seriously, the question has to be asked of Norwood.... a player who is sacked by a Country Club because he doesn't meet the standards required to play for them, then passes muster to play for the Redlegs? It beggars belief.
I know what Centrals would have said if he asked to play again under the current circumstances.
by northerner
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

carey wrote:Coke

Gee he was right when he said he needed to get his personal life straightened out.
The key will be when he realizes he isn't a victim and takes responsibility. Good luck... can play.
by northerner
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final teams.

another grub wrote:WWF

Grenville v J Redden ?

100m sprint? :D
probably be just as drawn out!
by northerner
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2018 Grand Final - Norwood v North Adelaide

Not always a fan of Ruccis ... but this from his column this morning sums it up for those of us not involved this weekend:

"Norwood will start the GF as the team everyone bar North Adelaide fans want to win to protect the league's "integrity" ...until someone stirs up the question of alleged salary cap breaches"
by northerner
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: INS and OUTS for 2019

I take it you're at the B& F. Who won the Best & Fairest?
T. Schiller by a mile.
Nason gone too.
And pretty sure Butcher is leaving too. Might be a couple more as well
Not nearly as many players moving on as some predicted. Not sure about Butch. I know theres lots of different rumours going around but his speech last night was all about team, and the Club moving forward. Made me feel he might indeed stay.
by northerner
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Central District annual report 2013

The players have enormous respect for Roy. Thats fact.
At times Roys honesty hurts, this newer generation are not used to receiving undiluted criticism.
And Roy is not always quick to change; and when the pressure is on he can revert back to his instincts.
There is no doubt some players are going around again despite some grumbles. Obviously this is a result of conversations between the coach and indivvplayers. Perhaps the coach was able to satisfy the players that there will be changes. There certainly seems to be a view that some very good recruits will be heading across.
by northerner
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lose or draw its time to recognise Ussie Kahawaja's effort. An outstanding effort. Amazing. And shows he is up to the mental ability that is a Test match necessity.
This innings shows how good the pitch has lasted. Its also highlighted the diabolical effort of the first innings. No input whatsoever from 3, 4 and 6 in this game. Hopefully 7 to 11 offer the necessary grit in the remaining 31 overs.
by northerner
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

42nd highest fourth innings total ever (2320 tests)Highest fourth innings total at the ground 12 tests.

Usman my man of the match. Australia's highest forth innings total in 46 years.

We scored 406 in 2009 against the Poms. Hussey said that in the telecast, must be in Asia.

I think he said it was the LONGEST 4th innings in 46 years.
by northerner
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Heres a thought... how much is this back to the walls result attributed to Langer? I am not sure Boofs approach would have got this result.
by northerner
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

clanger wrote:Irra Returns to South

https://www.safc.com.au/blog/new-irra-f ... h-adelaide

Good luck to him. What a waste of two years.
by northerner
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2018-19

A quick check of the Test batsmen in this round shows Finch, Handscomb, Khawaja, Head and (as I write) Shaun Marsh and Harris all making some runs on difficult wkts. Only Mitchell Marsh has yet to show anything with the willow.
Bit of discussion that Head and Handscomb are fighting for the final batting spot in the first test. Any chance that M Marsh misses out? He is NOT (repeat NOT) a Test bowler of ANY substance so that cannot continue to be his leave pass to get a game over guys who can bat.
by northerner
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

https://www.safc.com.au/blog/panthers-pounce-on-eagle-karpany

Hate seeing former players lining up against their original club when coming back from the AFL but that is the reality of the situation. With three ex-WWT players getting delisted from their AFL clubs in the same year it was always going to be difficult, if not impossible, to entice them all back to the club due to a lack of $$. Just bad timing.

Karpany will be a very good player for South so good luck to him.

Aside from West and Centrals (I think), it looks like the rest of the clubs have managed to sign an ex-AFL player who are all likely to make a reasonable impact next year. Its a good boost for the SANFL competition.

West did sign former Hawthorn player, Dallas Willsmore, 23 year old, 191 cm wingman/half back, played a few games for Hawthorn in 2017. Hopefully will make an impact on the competition

... and Central have signed Troy Menzel, so all clubs have a former AFL player newly signed for next season.
Cheers
P.S. More news to come from the Ponderosa.

Whilst the Club hasnt announced it, the local newspaper has... 3 Neagle Brothers, son of the late Merv and brother of Jay have signed with the Dogs. Matt at 23 is the eldest and had 7 AFL recruiters asking after him before suffering a compound arm fracture in August.
The Dogs were one of several Clubs trying to entice the lads over.
by northerner
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2018-19

Speak of the devil.. he's on..

Just quietly, it sort of annoys me people who feel the need to have a run through before bowling - especially if you're playing higher than community 4th XI cricket.

It was also a no no on the pitch too, so i never understood what a bowler got out of it, actually ive never understood what bowlers get out of playing cricket ;)

Great moment from Hookes' colourful career.
Bowler did his practice run alongside the pitch complete with a release of the ball towards the keeper who had also moved over from the pitch. Hookesy intercepted the ball by belting it out of the park.
BOWLER: "Hey that was just a friggen warm up!"
Hookesy: "Yep... figured if youre allowed a warm up bowl, I am allowed a warm-up hit"
by northerner
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2018/19 Australian Summer of cricket

Full credit to the bowling group. They kept us in the match with their efforts with the ball, and fared better than the bats to almost bring it home.

Average for the top six in second innings... 133 @ 22
Average for Tim Paine and the bowlers in the second dig,,, 148 @ 30

Good to see Virat getting a little anxious there!
by northerner
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

India winning the first is MORE to do with 2 of Australias greatest ever batsmen Steve Smith and David Warner being unavailable
Have a LOOK at the last series these 2 teams played in Australia
Take special note at how many runs the 2 stars made

This is purely a hypothetical
Imagine Smith and Warner playing in the Adelaide test and Kohli and Pujara did not
The teams were rated about equal favs in Adelaide
Make the 4 changes , Australia would be clear fav and probable winner

I can blame 20/20 to a certain/small extent, as an overall
But this fist test loss has little to do with 20/20 scheduling, thats because the BBL has not started as yet
The states have played 5 SS games before the first test, and one during ,thats a reasonable preparation for enough players

The BBL will/might make a BIGger difference from now on, with no SS matches until February

Mal, the reason we're shit without Smith and Warner is our next crop of batsman have poor techniques, no patience and simply don't bat well in long form cricket. Warner is the exception, not the rule.

Finch's first innings dismissal, going hard at the 3rd ball of the innings, the fact Handscombe is playing at all ( There's a text book for a reason, Peter, ever seen any of the world's best batsman play like you do? No. ) shows the flaws in our domestic scene. Nobody stands out at the next level.

Remember when Jamie Siddons, Stuart Law, Martin Love, Darren Lehmann, Jimmy Maher, Hodge, Di Venuto, Cox and I could go on and on were biding their time in the Shield waiting for a Test spot?

Correct. As I mentioned before, David Hookes had to rattle up 5 centuries in 6 Sheffield Shield Innings to get a Test call up.
Now we see media claim the selectors made a mistake not picking Renshaw because he carted a Grade attack for 350 odd. (Lets not worry about him not making one single decent score in SS this season).

Warner and Smith's exclusion has highlighted our lack of batting maestros. We have guys playing atm who are not up to it, but nothing to replace them with.
Without doubt, the worst crop of batting talent since forever, without question.
And the reason is clearly the Twenty 20 format which seduces talented lads away from technique in the quest for their Andy Warhol moment.

This problem is not unique to us. If India didn't have Kholi and Pujara they would be in similar strife. Their other batsmen all play sensibly for 4 or 5 balls and then attempt to smack the Bejesus out of the next one. Despite their troubles on Day One, how many sixes did they belt? And don't get me started on Pant's efforts... almost bordering on disrespectful to Test cricket the way he bats.
by northerner
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Armchair expert wrote:Unbelievable

Had to be that flog too

Flog is right... Handscomb. Cant play.
by northerner
Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nice to hear Crash and co praising Tim Paines keeping efforts. On this particular forum he is disected and readily discarded but IMO he is the best keeper in Oz and a wonderful leader of men esp given the current climate. And he is not as bad a bat as some on here suggest.
by northerner
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That wasnt a DRS. That was an AOD.... Act Of Desperation.
by northerner
Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Armchair expert wrote:Pujara batting for the draw

Test match batting... a lost art.
by northerner
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I want to say (regardless of hw this game pans out) MS Dhoni is the coolest calmest player when chasing totals since Michael Bevan.
by northerner
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dhoni... the. Best. Current. Player. In ODI chases. Sensational. Time and again he shows composure under pressure never letting the situation stress him. Focussed on red ink? Baloney... I would LOVE to have an Aussie batsman who "valued red ink" as he does. Surely you can only impact on the result whilst you are not out.
MS.. a star.

Meanwhile Siddle will never play another game for his nation again.
by northerner
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How poo was his opening spell, fast but so erratic

time the selectors grew some balls and pissed him off, he only knocks over average number 10's and 11's these days Will be interesting to see what we do for the Ashes when we have Hazlewood back with Richardson, Cummins and Starc to choose from.
All four offer something different. There will be pitches where Richardson will be a handful but I wouldn't play him at other venues which dont offer movement.
Cummins ia the only shoe in to play all Tests as he impacts on any surface.
Englands batting woes are every bit as bad as ours with reliance on wicketkeepers and all rounders for runs. I think this series depends upon Broad and AAndersons ability to stave off Father Time.
by northerner
Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The reality is only Trav Head has fully capitalised on his chances this summer. Uzzie (like Starc) will retain his spot in the XI along with Warner and Smith. So Labuschagne Harris Burns S Marsh Renshaw and Handscomb will be fighting for the other two spots. Renshaw probably ranked 6th in that list but as yet none deserve a regular gig.
Will P cannot possibly be selected whilst he is struggling with expectations. He would clearly be even more vulnerable on an overseas jaunt.
by northerner
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |