Search found 206 matches

Return

Re: SANFL Finals - Week 1

Not because we won but it was a very good umpiring performance
yesterday a couple of errors against both sides but they didnt influence
the result at all unlike the thoughts of Norwood supporters around me
who blamed the umps entirely for their loss
Umps definitely didn't cost us but that 25m penalty and resultant goal definitely appeared to take a bit of momentum away from us.
Live I thought the 25 was "lucky", but then saw the angle that the norwood player on the ground never let go of the Guernsey, to prevent Hoskin from playing on, so understand why it was paid.
by Dogs72
Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

INS and OUTS for 2018

Please take Cotton
by Jim05
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: INS and OUTS for 2018

Just out of curiousity, does Norwood actually have or adhere to a salary cap. Ins for 2017 Grigg Shenton Terlich McKenzie Ins for 2018 Surman Edmead Hamilton and Talia, and please don't give me that "ex players returning" rubbish because they still have to be paid. Retirements moving on ZIP

I know when you can't manage your own finances or recruit effectively it's easy to blame those clubs that can (Norwood fans were the same last decade), but at least get your facts straight when whinging.
Edmead will have to pay Norwood to get a game! :D :D
by GMcG
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great that he's gone back there. Good news.
by Dogwatcher
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Brodlach wrote:You surely needed to put Glenelg in there somewhere

I said Blah 3 times.
by Booney
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I want to punch myself after reading recent posts on this thread.
by Wedgie
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Big Phil wrote:Big Seb getting an NTL clearance from Nightcliff to Southern Districts.

Perhaps fed up with all the speculation as to where he was going to plan in Adelaide?

I don't think Big Seb would ever get fed up of the attention being on him. ;)
by whufc
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BBL 2017/2018

carey I've decided you're the biggest pessimist in the world - are you even a Strikers supporter? You never have any remotely positive to say about the Strikers lol.

Sure last night was a game that was a missed opportunity, but it was a shoebox of a ground, and that's the format that is T20, it's designed that any side can win really.

Archer was brilliant, landed most his deliveries and bowled with good pace, he won the game for the Hurricanes IMO.

Thought it was good to see Ingram make some runs finally as well, and people who are tearing shreds off Neser should remember it was less than a week ago he pretty well won us the game on NYE.

Shit happens, I don't care if we lose BBL games - and most of you on here shouldn't either considering a lot of you picked a bottom 2 finish and lucky to win a game... rather win the Sheffield Shield, but BBL is good to pass time each night.
by The Bedge
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

As northerner explained it makes perfect sense. Better to give agar and dean a decent go rather than throwing them into a final without previous experience
by bennymacca
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer

Stunned by the hate for Smith.

Tall poppy syndrome?
by Brodlach
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer

DOC wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Stunned by the hate for Smith.

Tall poppy syndrome?

The better players on here are very harsh.

I like it that he doesn't like getting out.
Exactly. He's a perfectionist who isn't afraid of wearing heart on sleeve. I love it and reckon he's a great role model.
by Q.
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Its hard to fully invest in a squad that has so few locals and in a game that can be dominated by players who don't have the mental toughness and courage to succeed at Test level.
But it provides tv viewing during low ratings season. And captures the 6yos interest. And there are always a couple of up and comers who get national attention... on this occasion Short Weatherald and Jye Richardson.
I see them as the equivalent of preseason cups in footy. Interesting to watch but results forgotten very quickly.

This for some of the imports, and in some instances add "the skill not to play at first class level" for some of the locals.
by FlyingHigh
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Reckon that's all for this season's signings?

Sturt didn't do anything to cover the big loss of Beard.

Guessing they're going to back Voigt to develop alongside Read.

Interesting to see how it goes!

Sturt didnt need to do anything else, everyone else has gone backwards even more. The only danger to Sturt winning 3 in a row is an injury free run to one of the Reserves sides
by daysofourlives
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Tour of South Africa

Nice to wake up to check the score and see that we rolled them for 162. Starc on fire, love when he goes around the wicket with the ball reversing and he targets the stumps, becomes almost unplayable.
by The Dark Knight
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

BoundaryRider84 wrote:handscomb must play 3rd test

If that’s the case just play 10 and a sub fielder
by Brodlach
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My take on warner v dekock...
Warners over-reaction was unhinged and out of proportion.
DeKock lied about what was said and backed away from his role.
Both got what they deserved.

Otis Gibson is spot on when he talks of "where is the line?" According to warners logic.. calling someone an effen sook aint personal but dont mention the missus... some one else mt think part a is personal and pt b is fine.

Reminds me a great Eddie Brandis (Zimbabwe) sledge to Pidge.
PIDGE... Why are you so fat Eddie?
BRANDIS... Cos everytime I make love with ur missus she gives me a cookie.

All of the Aussie fielders ensuing laughter added to Pidges discomforture...

Eddo, and I'm pretty sure he used the word f**k.
by Grenville
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Jim05 wrote:
southernbulldog wrote:Looks like Josh Glenn heading to Norwood easy for them
as they are the only club without a salary cap

Dogs under no obligation to clear him so it’s not a done deal yet. I’d be surprised if we cough up the transfer fee they want either

with his recent history, why would anyone want him.
by GMcG
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Right so 2 bowlers need to take the responsibility as well.....Sayers in, Lyon to Captain?

I think Lyon is part of the leadership group too - certainly after 70 odd tests he is a senior player.

That's why I think CAs response so far is the best it can be given the circumstances.

Found out:

1. Whose idea it was,
2. who was part of the decision making process,
3. who knew about it and didn't take action to stop it (off field staff)
4. what were the factors that contributed to the decisions madeat lunch (moot point because no matter how you slice and dice it nothing that has happened in the last four weeks (Dave/Candice/SBW/De Cock fiasco, Rababda, sledging, microphones etc) can be used to justify this action).
5. What evidence the ICC has (corroborate information)

Then take action (fines/bans/stripping of positions).

ATM it's hard to see Smith remaining as captain, and Bancroft playing the next test.
by am Bays
Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

valleys07 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Smith has stood down as captain for the rest of this test, Warner has too as Vice Captain

Paine to Captain the side

Deserves to cost them their careers, not just the captaincy.

That’s way too harsh.
Captaincy yes but not career over
by Jim05
Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm not saying its ok cause they are Australian. I am saying to all the other countries taking shots, have a look in your own backyards before slinging shit at us.
We are the only country who will deal with this properly, regardless of the wet lettuce leaf approach by the ICC.
by MW
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"Proven performer" was more intended in relation to his ability. If he has issues but they're no longer going to impact on your club, then I'd have thought you'd be happy at him becoming someone else's problem?

I'm trying to keep out of this conversation.

However, the one thing I will say is that the annoyance stems from disappointment at the opportunities afforded to Josh. It also stems from the fact that many of us wish we had half the talent he does and the opportunities he's had.
Football can give you so much if you choose to embrace it. To paraphrase - a beautiful talent is a shame to waste.
by Dogwatcher
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I sincerely hope Smith is not given the same punishment as Warner. The remorse and contrition that Smith is exhibiting is immense. Unlike Warner, Smith is inherently a decent bloke who is not by nature a manipulative or conniving person. He comes over as naïve, not worldly in the slightest. I have NO doubt that Warner is the instigator, whilst Smith's biggest crime was not being strong enough to say NO. And it seems he was not the only one who needed to say NO to Warner over the past few seasons.
I would be happy if Warner receives a long enough ban to seriously consider walking away. I hope Smith receives far less. I hope the Aussie public cuts him some slack as person, if not as a skipper. Do think Steve Smith and Cam Bancroft to a lesser extent will be able to rebuild their reputation. Warner on the other hand is cooked. His actions immediately after the event are someone who only ever thinks of themselves. Who gets on the gas with champagne and non cricket mates straight after being accused of a form of cheating second only to match fixing?
by heater31
Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They definitely deserved a ban and we can argue the length of ban forever and a day. Personally I think slightly to harsh but realistically we are all just making up 'numbers' as the precedent is far to lenient.

I really hope (especially for Smith) that CA don't just cut this guy cold turkey and provide them with the out of cricket support they require for their mental health during this period.

While the players are responsible for their actions I cant help but think the ICC's ridiculously lenient penalties have made 'ball tampering' a risk worth taken and while the CA penalties are needed they no doubt are a shock to everyone involved in cricket.

I hate to see this 'Sporting debacle' turn into a 'Sporting Tragedy', enough damage has been done to a fair few people already.

Yes they cheated, yes they have embarrassed us, yes they are a disgrace, yes they have punished significantly. Now is the time to offer the support they need of the park to rehabilitate them into every day life. There are much worse people out there in everyday life than these 3 blokes.
by whufc
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Smith will take this further IMO. Can see him getting a reduction on his ban.

Smith was guilty of covering up, being naive and not strong enough to stand up to Warner IMO, if he had come out at that first press conference and said what he has alleged to have told the ACB his penalty would have been at least halved. Steve SMITH IMHO is not a cheat, just a very gullible young man that thought he was doing the right thing to the media when this all came to light, unfortunately he was only digging himself a hole and a bloody big one at that.

As for the other two, I have no sympathy whatsoever
by locky801
Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Interesting view put forward by Border during the telecast, tonight.

Paine permanent skipper, gloves are off, bats higher, Carey in....

Probably not too many others in Australia that have the experience to lead the team apart from perhaps George Bailey.

Paine has been one of only two shining lights on this tour, the other being Pat Cummins
by locky801
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Khawaja and Marsh are done and dusted.
Despite losing 3 players long term they should never play again for their country.
Easy to say that and while I tend to agree we simply do not have the batting depth to just give them the flick forever.

My question to everyone (not just you AF) that says certain blokes have to go is who do you replace them with? Khawaja and Marsh and head and shoulders above the next tier of Sheffield Shield batsman. Please do your research on who's next in the cue and come up with logical replacements before saying certain blokes shouldn't be selected to play for our country again.
by The Dark Knight
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I’d be giving Ponting a call
by Jim05
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R2 North V West Sunday 1310

Both clubs have unfortunately lost a club member this week. Hope it is well attended.
by DOC
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not up to Willaston standards, but exceeds Norwoods.
by Dogs64
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rd 5 Glenelg v Central

Northerner, what do you make of our second half?

I'm really curious, as they outscored us and our second halves haven't been great.

I thought the pressure dogs applied in the first half was going to be very tough to match in the second.

Our first half was incredible and if not for kicking against a massive breeze in the first quarter we would of been 10-12 goals up at the half.

As for the second half. Whether we mentally got complacent or physically got tired I’m not sure yet.

Certainly think the dogs will play finals.

Two wins better than last year already
by UK Fan
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is from my recollections:

2011 - Centrals
2012 - Elizabeth
2013 - Centrals
2014 - Centrals
2015 - Gold Coast
2016 - Willaston
2017 - Centrals
2018 - Willaston/Norwood

From that record, you can see why Centrals might have been hesitant to take him back again after his Willaston incident.
It hurts as a supporter to see a player walk in/walk out like that. He hurt us Friday night and may do so in the future. But I'm not sure any club would welcome him back...again after such a fractious relationship. And it's not just been with the coach.
It will be interesting to see what 2019 brings.
I hope, somehow, that Josh can start getting the best out of himself consistently. An outstanding talent, who could easily win the Magarey.
by Dogwatcher
Mon May 28, 2018 9:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Norwood v WWT Fri 1920

Norwood put on a clinic after 1/4 time. Too physically big and strong, quick, skilful ball movement, attractive brand of footy .
Premiership favs without doubt.

That's what I noticed when the Legs belted us at the Parade a couple of months ago. Even when they won their Premierships, these were based on a defensive-first philosophy which would have bored even the most ardent Leg supporters. Now they have been given license to run and gun and stun, and are playing without fear of making errors.
2018 is their Premiership to lose ;)

PS.... why are Grigg and Panos not seen as AFL players? Grigg is like a man amongst boys at
SANFL level whilst Panos is a Pendlebury clone who kicks more goals … whats not to like?

:-S
Dearest 'northerner',
Your outrageously accurate appraisal is most annoying.
Will you please shut the f**k up before we lose what's taken 3 years to build ?
A quick 'whip-around' within the Cheer/Grog Squad has raised $1,369.50 to get you to delete your post before AFL
a*******s see it and destroy us yet again. Please stop being so candid mate. We want another dynasty just like you had.
Is that asking too much? Please, please mate, we're begging you. Stop telling the truth !!!
[-o<
Luv,
Sabre.

p.s. Pendlebury??? Surely Matty Panos is far more like Robbie Flower !!!
:YMSMUG:
by SABRE
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2018 Grand Final - Norwood v North Adelaide

Playing for the inaugural “Lack of Integrity Cup” with the BOG getting the prestigious “Joe Tripodi” medal.
:)
by Jim05
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2018 Grand Final - Norwood v Woodville West Torrens

I think all the bendover clubs should be disqualified and South Adelaide and Centrals should play in the GF.
by RB
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Congratulations North Adelaide Premiers 2018

I’m sure there will be a few beers or bundy’s for Skeff tonight and rightly so
by JK
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Congratulations North Adelaide Premiers 2018

Well done Cocks, too good. They play a tough, enterprising style of football. A few other clubs, mine included, could do worse than have a serious look at it.
by Grenville
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2019 AFL mid season draft

Whilst not exactly the same there are SAAFL clubs who feed players to SANFL clubs and they've dealt with it for years.

Devils advocate here, I don't like the prospect of SANFL players leaving mid-year but clubs below the SANFL have dealt with it for years.
I think Jason Sutherland might have been a case in point going back a few years, seem to remember he was contracted with Berri and debuted for us late in the season ended with an SANFL Premiership medallion. :?:

NB: I can't remember sure how much it affected his country club at the time, so happy for fellow 'Dogs fans to rip me a new one on this point regarding its relevance.

A generation ago and a different era I realise, but I can recall the gut-wrenching frustration and anger at losing Tony Lynn to Carlton mid season one year.

This, did anyone at the time cry bloody murder on behalf of Berri? I would doubt it, they would have been thrilled for the bloke to get an opportunity at a higher level.

I believe Centrals worked closely with Berri on the situation and pretty sure Sutherland played in both the Berri flag and Centrals flag that year (2010).
by cennals05
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: INS and OUTS for 2019

Nathan Grima is the new Sturt coach!

Another one of our players gone to a rival SANFL club. :(

Can we help you out with some players? Why don't you peruse our B & F placings and work your way down the list. :roll: :evil:

he's not one of OUR players, he came to us from interstate in the first place!
STRUTH! Stop funking moaning about everything!!
by GMcG
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TDK's International Test Cricket Update's

For how weak a team on paper that was they have put in our best fifth day Asian performance in a long long time

Well done.

Coaches determination rubbing off
by whufc
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: INS and OUTS for 2019

Because he wasn't getting anywhere.

Totally agree with this.

Fair dinkum, just because he is a nice guy Roy Laird should keep him??

He has had more than enough chances, at many clubs, unfortunately he is just not up to this Level.

Sometimes you just have to move on and go play Ammos or Country footy and accept it.

Most of the Dogs fans aren't saying we should have kept him. Most are saying that they respect his want and endeavor to play the highest level of football he can and simply not chase the money in lower level football. He is almost an extinct breed.
by whufc
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2018/19 Australian Summer of cricket

How'd that work out for us?
Constantly ranked top 2-3 in tests and World Cup champions as opposed to the rabble we are now and about to hand India their first series win on Australian soil ever.
All for a crime that the ICC deemed fairly insignificant

That's like being stabbed 50 times and blaming the last stab wound on your death...
by MW
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How'd that work out for us?
Constantly ranked top 2-3 in tests and World Cup champions as opposed to the rabble we are now and about to hand India their first series win on Australian soil ever.
All for a crime that the ICC deemed fairly insignificant

The rabble we are now isn't because two blokes aren't playing, the rabble we are now is because we took our eyes off the ball from the top of Cricket Australia down. This is the shake up we needed to have.

Now, if losing a series to India at home is the catalyst to wake the **** up the hierarchy who think spending 6 weeks a summer with ******* buckets on our heads paying some Afghani bloke $60,000 to chuck some darts for 4 overs a night is the way to produce Test cricketers then let them beat us 4-0 for all I care.
by Booney
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If Paine didn’t keep would his batting get him in the team? Reasonable form

Bring in Carey to keep, Paine at 6
Paine is technically sound, but don’t think he could play as a specialist bat.

Why on earth would you ever take the gloves off paine? His glove is work is unreal and much better then carey still.
by batmanbegins
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

**** off Finch, guess theres not normally fielders there in white ball cricket. You average 18 as an opener for a reason, how the **** the selectors thought it would be any different at Test level is beyond me. Arrogant pricks that think thery know better than the Victorian selectors who see him all the time
Oh well at least Warner can move back into the opening spot with ease and we'll never hear of Finch again
I absolutely agree that Finch is not good enough to play test cricket for Australia, but in defence of the selectors, he only got the gig by default when Matt Renshaw got poleaxed while fielding at short leg against Pakistan. Since then, noone has played well enough to replace him.
by Senor Moto Gadili
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Patience is extremly difficult to train. We see this in the health and fitness industry all the time, it’s easy to train one on how to do a bench press or dead lift but extremly extremly hard to encourage/train and motivate one to continue training the amount of time required to see results.

From my understanding patience is generally taught at an extremly early developmental age and even if one becomes more patient as a teenager/adult their preference is to still not be patient

We live in a fast food society unfortunately. The amount of times I will have someone and in a lot of cases 13-25 year olds message our work Facebook page to then send a secondary message 5 minutes later saying ?????. This despite the fact it’s generally at 9,10,11pm

Patience is also genetically expressed. But social patience isn't the same as being patient in the middle of a cricket pitch at an elite level of sport - that is something that can be trained via time spent in the middle of a cricket pitch at an elite level of sport.
by Q.
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re:

It is a myth that current generation is 'time-poor' - it's the opposite, with annual work hours in decline over the last few decades. And there's no evidence to suggest we are any less patient than previous generations.

What has increased, immensely, are entertainment options. Let's face it, cricket in summer was it during the 70's, then in the 80's we could play an Atari instead of fielding in 38° and now there's an endless list of things to do in your spare time that previously weren't there, but, to dismiss the notion that the modern generation isn't as willing to submit themselves to 6 hours of Test cricket, or anything for that matter, is foolish, IMO.
by Booney
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2018-19

Great shot by the skipper
Slashing at one that he needed a broomstick to reach. Again no foot movement. Any No. 11 can bat like that :oops:
The Redbacks are officially a JOKE of a team and an Embarrassment to the Shield Competition.

That was an absolutely disgusting shot, great example for the rest of the young team.

Head is the Only player in Australia who can continually play horrid shots and nothing ever happens about it.
Maxwell plays a terrible shot and he is bashed from pillar to post about it.
Probably because more often than not he makes runs.
He's averaging 50 at test level.
Maxwell isn't!
by tigerpie
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 1 - Live scores, results & comments...

Groucho wrote:You must admit it wasn't good and there wasn't anything positive to be taken out of it.

well that's bloody obvious BUT you don't have to be so constantly negative!
by gazzamagoo
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Central V Glenelg

We were very, very poor. Bays were toying with us. Our cause wasn't helped by being knobbled at the selection table, it was ridiculous the lack of height and size in our team.

Correct. Fraser Fort was the only tall to contribute. We have no genuine tall up fwd and Madden was our onlt tall defender and he has been dwarfed against Brampton and McBean in consecutive weeks. And we have no ruckman who is able to contribute in any meaningful way at all. Usually I see reason behind some of our selection/recruiting decisions but to release Hannath and take on 3 unknowns seemed bizarre given Forts elevation to AFL.

On the flipside, Glenelg were very impressive. Balanced and brave. Good decision making and excellent overhead. And decent players still to return.
It's called planning for the future! Hannath had to go, wasn't going to succeed & the new guys are young & will get better.

With the SANFL comp eroding in relevance before our eyes, planning for the future that far in advance is questionable.
I’d suggest the 3 young ruckmen in question will need another couple of seasons at least to be genuinely competitive. No guarantee they will still be with us then as it seems the competition trend is towards a more transient playing list. Maybe that’s where we are behind the times in our thinking as we know what price Roy puts on loyalty and perseverance.
by Hazydog
Wed May 22, 2019 10:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |