Search found 4 matches

Return

Re: HFL Division 1 (Central)

By that logic, Blackwood shouldnt be in the hills competition either

no argument there ...... shouldn't let one bad decision justify another.

Well I am glad minds like yours are at club board level and not league level. Dinosaur views are what can destroy a league; SFL for example.

Anyway, great game Echunga today. Our boys had to work hard for the win. Anyone from Echunga able to enlighten me about some whispers I heard today? - I hear the Echunga B grade coach has been sacked and from what I have heard this may lure back a number of players. Whats the story there?
by BurntToast
Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Round one just a couple of sleeps away, who is everyone tipping? My thoughts;

Mount Barker v Echunga - Both sides with some handy ins as well as losing a couple. Mt Barker just looks to have a more even spread of contributors. Mt Barker by 20 points.

Onka Valley v Handorf - From all reports Hahndorf have had a poor preseason, both on the track as well as losing key players. Wouldnt be surpised if they slide this year. Onka Valley in a close one, by 10 points.

Lobethal v Uradlia - Busy offseason for Lobe with a number of players returning and a couple of decent recurits. Uradlia are looking much the same, but losing Amato is a huge loss for them. Tigers I feel with have just to much pace for the northern dees and expect them to enjoy the wide expanses at home. Lobethal by 18 points.

Blackwood v Mt Lofty - Blackwood have essentially the same side as last years. A couple have retired and one other leaving via financial incentive, but we have numerous youngsters coming up from the senior colts that should fill the void. I think its going to be another tough season for the Devils and I cant see them getting close in this one. Blackwood by 60 points.
by BurntToast
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In fairness Rams have solid Juniors and are certainly in a geographical gold mine. They have a very professional plan for their furore and from what I hear they are very well run.
It honestly made no sense for them to stay in Div 2 and I'd be very surprised if they finish bottom in any grade. I congratulate them on their decision, recognising a few hard years potentially for a much brighter future

I think the eye brows were raised that they came up after the year they had in Div 2. They certainly didn’t set the world alight in the A grade and they didn’t field a Senior colts either. I just question the timing. The biggest two changes from Div 2 and 1 is depth in teams and the speed of the game. Whether Nairne can adapt to this quickly will directly influence how competitive they can be.

You’re right though, it’s a better for the club long term in the div 1 then it is to remain in 2. I still don’t think we are far away from the HFL moving to a sole division. Div 2 is a mess. I think a 12 team comp would be an ideal scenario.
by BurntToast
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

OK now the season is over, Im just going to start the conversation about the divisions and junior comps. This is to promote some discussion;

The league announce that as of 2023 (this gives clubs 2 years to get it done) there will be only 1 x division with a minium requirement to field As, Bs, 18s, 16s.
The 14s and under age groups are not mandatory and will be a comp run on seperate days/nights
The league with support of the SACFL provides Div 2 clubs financial assistance for mergers to occur, those clubs that merge will get a 10% increase in salary cap for 2 x years and 4 extra APPs per year for 2 years and $1 for $1 to replace guernseys across all 4 x Div 1 teams.
The Senior womens footy games where possible play on Saturday game day between the 18s and Reserves
Any clubs with an excess of players in any grade are fielded in an extra comp open to all clubs in the HFL, if there is not enough teams then clubs can field these teams in a metro comp (clubs cant field a metro comp team if there is a comp available in the Hills).
The C Grade can continue if there is excess senior numbers.

If any club doesnt want to take up the opportunity in a Div 1 comp they play elsewhere in another league or they with any other Div 2 clubs that dont want to join start up a Hills Independant league, so basically come up to Div 1 level, merge or go elsewhere.

Again, just trying to start a conversation to get peoples ideas, not saying this is the answer, but all our brains put together will surely have something positive to contribute.

One thing that cannot be mucked around with is Div 1 comp. We need to lift teams up to this level not bring Div 1 down.

Merging clubs is a sign of the times, a club disappaering altogether is the worst outcome. At least with a merger each club brings their history to the new club. Emotions need to be put aside and either merge or they will fold and be lost forever.

Let the discussion begin. Its more appropriate to offer up in your comments ideas to improve the comp, dont just bag my ideas without an alternate solution :)

Personally I think a single division competition is the best way to approach the future for the HFL. A single division with 12 - 14 teams would benefit the league as whole in both the senior and in particular the junior grades. To accomplish this it obviously means the culling of some clubs. Whether that be mergers, folding or moving to another league. There are some proud small clubs in both divisions, and convincing them to do so (if that’s even possible) would be a mammoth task.
by BurntToast
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |