Search found 12 matches

Return

Re: Stanley Cricket Association

I think if you did combine the Stanley and Rocky River comps you would have to divide them into north and south divisions. E.g north all Rocky River teams plus Brinkworth, Blyth and Clare. With South being Long Plains, Lower North, Auburn/Mintaro, Watervale and Sevenhill. Then at the end of the season the top 2 from each division play off in the finals.

Im not sure a combined team in the Barossa comp would ever work unfortunately.
by Angler
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Auburn/Mintaro knocking off Brinkworth on Saturday. Upset of the season so far.
by Angler
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You have had the better of Brinky during the season so anything is possible!

Not sure I agree with the association’s ruling regarding teams progressing in finals when games are called off due to the heat etc. Surely they could play the games on the Sunday or push the finals back a week.
by Angler
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Also Burra & Spalding/Boob already compete in the Stanley colts competition. So to me it’s a no brainer.
by Angler
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Agree whufc.

The logical thing to do would be to invite Burra and Spalding/Boob to join Stanley and then the Rocky River comp to join with the Northern Areas comp. That way it would basically emulate the NEFL and the NAFA in the footy, and reduce travel for Burra & Spalding/Boob.
by Angler
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It’s a credit to everyone involved out at Blyth/Kybunga that they continually put two competitive senior sides out on the park each week. Can’t be easy drawing mainly from one small town. Good to see them up and about!
by Angler
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think what happy hawk means is Gilbert Valley are looking at possibly combining with Auburn/Mintaro. GV have lost their thirds side this season and are short on A1’s players. Mitchell, Allen and Edwards would compliment their A1 team well. The rest of the Bullants team would filter through their seconds and also help get their thirds back on their feet. Geographically it would make sense also, given the close proximity of Auburn and Saddleworth.

I also believe that quite a few Lower North cricketers are now wasted in the Stanley comp given it’s decline. The only thing holding it back from joining the BLCA is the travel factor.

Interesting times ahead and still plenty of water to go under the bridge before any of this happens.
by Angler
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I’m gonna jump the gun and say it will be a Lower North v Sevenhill GF.

LN to win this week and go straight through. Sevenhill will be tested this week against Brinkworth, but with their depth in batting & bowling should get over the line.
Blyth have had a great season and have certainly improved. But I’m predicting they’ll go out in straight sets.

Just my opinion. Best of luck to all involved.
by Angler
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Northern Areas Cricket Association

Spalding made it 2 from 2 with a comfortable win over Belman.

Looks like Belman will be much stronger after Christmas when they get a few back after harvest.

Early top of the table clash next week with Spalding and Orroroo playing

First time I've checked into this site for years and staggered to see the changes and teams missing/amalgamated.
Distances travelled now remind me of the trips to Dawson - what a great venue that was.
Does Booleroo still play at the high school?
Good luck to all teams involved and make sure the tradition of northern cricket continues.

This is my first year in the comp so I’m not the best to ask about where teams play.

I only just found out we play some home games at Boob.

Booborowie is a good oval. The old Belalie-Mokota comp previously held association games there and not all that long ago either (maybe 12 years ago).

Changing the subject slightly, You won’t find many better opening combinations in country cricket than Burra’s Boh Wall and Sam Mattey. Both high quality players! Looks like they had a day out last Saturday!
by Angler
Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Having a real quick glimpse AM have won 3 games in 3 years so surely they would have some interest in developing some of their younger kids in the b grade comp.

I don’t think it would hurt the b grade comp as I imagine all 4 teams would be competitive with them based on what I’ve seen. You would also think having a bye in the b grade would be appreciated more than in the A Grade which is still primarily full of ‘serious’ cricketers.

Maybe give AM a five year plan to move back into the A grade comp in which time you hope to bring another team into the league. Not sure who that would be but maybe as suggested it’s a Georgetown, Redhill maybe even Burra, my experience Spalding won’t go.

The other key is Clare, if you get AM in the b grade and can some how get Clare to pull their finger out and develop a b grade you could get back to 6 teams in both B and A grade.

The other ‘swing’ team is Brinky who are hanging on by a thread, luckily having a few old boys staying on but how long can that last.

I think it’s inevitable in ten years that Stanley and Rocky will need to merge, maybe both leagues need to be proactive and really progress that to ensure all current teams stay alive.

Maybe you go something like the Mid North Super League. Top 4 from Stanley and top 2 from Rocky form the 6 team div 1 comp and then the remaining 6 teams form the div 2 comp. Promotion/ Relegation each year with the winners from div 2 promoted, bottom in div 1 relegated to div 2. My experience is that promotion relegation is great for teams coming bottomish to still have something to play for and helps keep numbers available, compared to when your season is done and dusted after round 3 and your zip an three.

The Bullants to the B Grade would be the most logical thing to do, but it’s up to the individual club to drop down unless the league decides to put their foot down. It’s a credit to the likes of Blyth, Watervale and Sevenhill for being proactive and having 2 senior teams and 2+ junior teams. Also Brinkworth do well to have the amount of juniors they do considering their small population base. You’d think Clare would be able to scrape together a B Grade- half old boys and half full of colts (they do have two U16’s teams).

Combining with Rocky River is an interesting one. Yes it would suit the likes of Brinkworth, Blyth and Clare. But what about Lower North, AM and Watervale. You’d be in danger of losing Lower North to either the Barossa or Northern Yorke Peninsula league if the merger was to happen. Maybe a Northern and Southern division with the top 2 from each progressing to a finals series.
by Angler
Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Plains Football League

Purchased a copy of today’s Plains Producer for the first time in a while and gee the coverage of the APFL has dropped off.
Hamley knock off the 3rd placed team in a nail biter and get a small article at the bottom of the page, while United get comprehensively beaten again and receive a friendly headline/article that takes up half a page. Bring back Les Pearson I say!
by Angler
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Liking the A1 & A2 fixture for the upcoming 2022/23 season.

6 teams in each grade and 15 games in each.
by Angler
Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |