Search found 21 matches

Return

Re: Grade Cricket

Adelaide University no overseas players next season I'm led to believe.
I wonder if a few of their regular players have been a little put off by getting shuffled around to accommodate these admittedly high quality overseas players. The ones who are there all the time, do full preseasons, drive the culture of the club etc are forced to play second fiddle at times.

This isn't based on any inside word or anything - just how I'd imagine it might be.

Without doubt anyone would be annoyed...…. It's amazing how a club an preach longevity, prestige, all that but can't field a side with at least 75% South Australia representation in there A grade. They've been around for 150 years only to have no one from SA in there top side. I know for a fact there are life members upset with this!!
by the smokey
Tue May 29, 2018 9:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

TTG have appointed Matt Weaver as there coach this year - with assistant Matt Primer a former player and playing life member of the club as his main assistant.

other coaching/assistants to be named in due course.
by the smokey
Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There was a famous grand final maybe late 90s where Adelaide went to tea on Day 2 needing a handful of runs. Then Peter McIntyre took a bunch of wickets for next to nothing to win it. Anyone remember the details?

1995/96
Yea the photos and story are on the walls @ TTG still.

tea was taken with only 4 runs needed with 4 wickets in hand (I am led to believe that the batters at the time were offered if they would like to take tea and they accepted.

After tea Woodcock and McIntyre operated for approx 10 or so overs and Woodcock bowled 4 or 5 maidens from one end while peter Mac took the wickets at the other.
Was TTG's first A flag.
by the smokey
Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Unfortunately, the grade system is nowhere near as strong as it was 10-20 years ago.

This means that the leap from A grade cricket to state cricket is as large as it ever been. There are fewer state players playing A-grade cricket than now than I can remember at any point in the time. This means that the standard is nowhere near as good and the fringe players dominate.

The junior system is very strange and the majority of the youth of today are more mentally fragile than ever before. This means that they want everything handed to them on a silver platter with only a few willing to accept criticism - You find the ones that are will to take this criticism/feedback on board are the ones who tend to make it.

So this means that when things get too hard they look for alternative easier options such as changing clubs, not playing at all or going to play a lower standard of cricket elsewhere with their mates. None of those are bad for the individual but do not help the overall standard of cricket in SA.

this has been happening for numerous year and there is no quick fix. Yes the SACA is culpable and it always seems to come back to the number of sides in the grade comp.

I know this has been mentioned before The SACA are never going to get rid of sides and never going to force 2 sides to merge. So i think that a relegation/ promotion system may be the best bet. 6 or seven in div one and the remaining in div 2. Have the one day comp and 20/20 comps include all 13 and go from there.

In relation to what happens at the top of SACA nothing is going to change there until there is a massive overhaul at the top which may never happen or not for a long time.
by the smokey
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: COVID-19

Not knowing when footy could return I’d like to see SAAFL give clubs a fresh start, return of clubs such as Salisbury west & any club that was on the brink of being booted.. this is a huge wake up call for everyone & there’s more to life then just footy so hopefully SAAFL can dish some chances out

---
Why would they do this? Some of these clubs have been given way more than one, two or three chances over many years.

Who's liable if they let some of these clubs back into the competition only for the same thing to happen again and again. I'm a believer that Salisbury West have had way too many opportunities presented to them and they can stay out for at least the next 5-10 years if not forever
by the smokey
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ATCA

Matt Cuconits signed, sealed and delivered will be @ Ingle Farm next year
by the smokey
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The clubs can not have a say anymore it has been proven time and time again that this will not work.

They need to announce that this will be the last year that the competition runs as it has done, and that a new competition of 8 clubs will commence in 2021/22 - and that these announcements will be made in Feb March of 2020/21 to allow some clubs to close out their time in the SACA competition.

the 13 clubs if they wish should have a chance to present to a committee (not the SACA board) and should present a strategic plan (on and off-field) as to why they should be in the comp.

Then 8 teams should be selected and the remaining 5 should then be reallocated to the ATCA comp and move on from there. Sides moving from ATCA to grade have happened before as well as some clubs fielding sides in ATCA comps as well.

At no stage should the clubs have a say in this decision other than their pitch about what they can bring to the new competition. Mergers could be considered but everything would need to be ironed out and the pitch/presentation presented as one club at that time.

During this process, there are going to be a lot of people and clubs that get their noses out of joint and get really upset but in the end of the day this isnt about individual clubs or individual people this is about making cricket better in SA not only for the short but long term as well, and just like in business when you are future planning sometimes people and in this case, clubs need to be removed.
by the smokey
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dgrade cricket at Grade level is a farce and has been for a while. I have said this before my son (22) now, in his 1st year at senior level straight out of 16s one his clubs Dgrade bowling trophy, the following year he couldn't get a game because of older blokes in there 40s and 50s were being selected first. Surely grade cricket is about prepping guys coming through with the hope of playing shield cricket?
No shield player ever came through d grade.
Unless he was 12 when he played.
Would certainly strengthen the case for changing grades if they put some facts and figures to it

Out of our local state and national representatives, how many played U14 Whites on their way through? U16 Whites? 4th Grade? 3rd Grade etc

Or maybe it wouldn't

Either way it would be interesting to see

Travis Head definetely played D grade criccket but did it at 13 or 14 and was playing A grade cricket by 15
by the smokey
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: COVID-19

With the season approaching a close, any clubs that potentially may look to negotiate a movement in grades next year?

Will Portland come back into D3 - or request to return lower? D4 perhaps and maybe Pembroke go up?

Rosewater (D5) and Hectorville (D6) look an adequate swap, as does Houghton (D6) and Brahma Lodge (D7).

If Hackham come in that would be swell also.

Can't imagine there will be many changes unless clubs are genuinely struggling to get some players back - Brahma Lodge should be given no favours and have to play in D7 again next year after delining to go up earlier.

Houghton should be rewarded for taking the opportunity and if there is no other way then may have to go back down - I could easily see Greenacres potentially wanting to start again in D7 - if they have numbers issues like they do from time to time. So i would say the only likely one for me is Houghton stay up in D6 and Greenacres start 2021 in D7.
by the smokey
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Was there an outcome from last nights meeting?[/quote]

AFL GF day to be a 20/20 game - Also fixtures to potentially be released by end of the week
by the smokey
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

should be a busy day for cricket staff today I am hearing.

Care to elaborate?? They are probably going to be forced to suspend the season today by SA Health.

I'm not here to start a debate but if this does happen it will be one of the biggest overreactions of all time! and all it will do is drive more people to the golf course
by the smokey
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tony Clifton wrote:Still nothing adjusted on MyCricket.

I wonder when a final call will be made?

It has been made - clubs have been notified
by the smokey
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hopefully, one more merger to happen - This is great that this happens and I have been an advocate of shrinking the number of clubs for a long time.
It Will be interesting to see if the reduction of side comes into this as well ie removal of 4th grade etc

Dont be surprised if Reynella start circling a few of the Southerns boys trying to get them to come and play A1 cricket instead
by the smokey
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 Adel Footy League - Division 3

Exciting news for the Kookaburras!

https://www.teatreegully.sa.gov.au/Council_business_news_and_information/News/Latest_news/12_million_community_complex_at_Golden_Grove_receives_6_million_funding_boost?fbclid=IwAR3BBEkCAbMagCK5sBO9GRiqzFGwmUArMYHxSvQdhc09J7L9Qbff3ODDDGQ
Cant believe this club is still in div 3. I know no promotion last year but with the resources and number of junior teams they have had for 10 years, should be in div 1 by now.

Easy to say they should be here or there but the club is still very young compared to a lot of the other clubs going around. Starting senior footy in D7 in the mid to late 90's to now a lot has transpired at Golden Grove.

From changing in a tin shed to at the start and having to walk up the hill at Greenwith oval to use the showers at the community center there has been a lot of progression in a short space of time. Rome wasn't built in a day and your better off building from the bottom with a great base rather then trying to for instant success - many many clubs have not succeeded long term with that approach.
by the smokey
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lightning McQueen wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Does everyone just hate everyone in the SACA comp?
Think it's just the level of hatred that changes.

No wonder they can't get anyone to merge.

This may the most factual thing that has been written on here.
by the smokey
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Cricket 2020-21

I guess we can bang on about who we recruit now. We've been banging on for years about the grade system being a joke and nothing has changed there so we might as well hire mercenaries. Finally!
I’ve been saying this for years.

They have to come from interstate as the structure we have here in SA hasn't worked for way too long..... how many blokes who average 50-60 at grade level have been tried at first-class level and don't make it.
Try capel and I hope he makes it - bringing back Kelvin Smith who in 20 first class matches averages 20 - not worth wasting your time going back to the well on that one.

Let's hope Worden continues to show what he has and then he can have a go in 12-24 months but the grade system is turning out these blokes with high averages only to see that they aren't good enough and in some cases nowhere near good enough for first-class cricket.
by the smokey
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Carrington (WT) joining Adelaide. Promised top 4 batting spot apparently.

Smart move opportunity would have been limited at Torrens

Always amazes me how Clubs promise the world to young kids with parents who think their child is the next Steve Smith. To say you will bat Top 4 all year no matter what is irresponsible. What happens when he makes four ducks in a row, or he doesn’t turn up to a game because he is hungover from a big night out, or still got drugs in his system from the big party on the Saturday night before a Sat/Sun match? This will end in tears :shock:

Would have thought you could have left it at we wish him well at Adelaide, unfortunately didn't work out at WT hope he gets some of the off-field things sorted.
Rather than a bit of character assassination on the way out, and it doesn't matter if you think it's public knowledge by raising that all on the way out is ridiculous!
by the smokey
Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Always amazes me how Clubs promise the world to young kids with parents who think their child is the next Steve Smith. To say you will bat Top 4 all year no matter what is irresponsible. What happens when he makes four ducks in a row, or he doesn’t turn up to a game because he is hungover from a big night out, or still got drugs in his system from the big party on the Saturday night before a Sat/Sun match? This will end in tears :shock:[/quote]

Would have thought you could have left it at we wish him well at Adelaide, unfortunately didn't work out at WT hope he gets some of the off-field things sorted.
Rather than a bit of character assassination on the way out, and it doesn't matter if you think it's public knowledge by raising that all on the way out is ridiculous![/quote]

Bugger the "character assassination", what about all the officials and volunteers at the club he has let down by his selfish and undisciplined attitude.[/quote]

Yea and you have to feel for them but everyone at some stage has put time and effort in and been let down at some point. All im saying is when something like this occurs it's better to bite your tongue, suck it up and wish the other well. There's a lot going on in a lot of people's lives that is the cause of a lot of things and someone who should know better jumping on a public forum and spraying someone might not be the best way to go about it.
by the smokey
Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Trader wrote:So over the 7 2-day grades, 38 out of the 40 games played.

That is a great result and just shows that all people want to do is play cricket given the chance.

great work by all the grounds crew across the comp
by the smokey
Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AdFL Tribunal Listing

Anyone got a time stamp for the Eastern Park 8 weeks?
24min mark

Thanks.
High impact seems a tough rating but there's hardly a defence for his actions.

Exactly there is 0 defence - I am happy to see plenty of games for that action. It has no place on a footy field and only needs to connect with the wrong part of the head and it makes the news as the Hectorville bloke ends up in hospital.

I can't believe that these actions still occur on a footy field.
by the smokey
Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Minimum Chips wrote:I hear a whisper from a mate who knows someone from TTG that Nick Winter may be heading back there?

Your whisper was correct. Announced over Socials on the weekend. Big get for them. Be interesting to see if any other ex-TTG players follow him back!
by the smokey
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |