Search found 10 matches

Return

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Booney wrote:
Gosaints wrote:
Booney wrote:Still only 17 cases

34 cases + some sprogs not yet counted

Watching the presser, she's stated no more positives after the 17 from this morning.

17 new cases = 34 active cases in SA
by Gosaints
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grade Cricket

at the near half way point of the season it already looks like there are 5 teams likely to fill the top 4. kensington, east torrens, adelaide university, sturt, glenelg, with one maybe unlucky to miss.

comments on better performers to date and those that have underperformed excluding 20/20s. mine are taken straight from stats as I don't get to see games these days.

better batters
Davis - sturt 362 runs @ 90
Conway - port 353 runs @70

batters batting top 6 struggling in this format. apologies if stats in mycricket are not correct
B Cooper - port 36 runs @ 7, 5 innings with hs of 20
Thomas - northern district 14 runs @ 2, 6 innings with hs of 4

bowlers
Boylan - prospect 15 wickets @ 19, 68 overs, strike rate 27
Medew-Ewen - port 15 wickets @ 23, 77 overs, strike rate 31

Laird - northern district 1 wicket @ 171, 42 overs, strike rate 252
Gautam - southern district 0 wickets 227 runs, 52 overs
by Gosaints
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The problem with programming is that it's democratic.

Clubs go along to their association meetings and decide when they want to start, how many one/two day games they want to play, how close to Christmas they go, whether to play the test match, how deep into March to play, whether to play on long weekends, how many teams in a division, how many rounds etc.

All those decisions get voted on and the playing dates go from there.

All associations including the school competitions operate independently.

Should SACA say "These are the playing dates for all competitions in South Australia"?

What about harvest... what about school holidays... what about football trial games... we don't get to start working on our pitch until October... what about association matches... we don't usually play the test match... what about intercol... we'll never get people to come back that early in January... our competition has a preliminary final as well... it's unfair to start with a two week bye...

undertand however should not be hard to align with atca and pdca at a minimum - maybe just a phone call?

ATCA provide their dates to the grade cricket committee each year in May, and each year Grade cricket then release a fixture in August/September that has the majority of two day games offset to the ATCA fixture.

In fact I know the ATCA dates have been set through to 26/27 already and yet there is little to no chance of them lining up with the dates SACA will put out.

thanks trader, looks like atca are organised and saca are cretins. no wonder cricket in this state is stuffed.
by Gosaints
Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Impressive recruiting spree from port can’t remember a club being this proactive before
Saca would be pleased clubs are trying to strengthen and making competition stronger
Going to be 8 contenders the usual suspects west Torrens Sturt Glenelg uni Kensington ttg port Woodville and 5 battlers northern southern east Torrens Adelaide prospect which will actually make 2 divisions in the one comp
I’d expect an influx of recruits from UK to bolster clubs squads as well
Have the new redbacks found homes yet

is all this just covering up the real issue with cricket in SA which is a hopeless (high performance, etc) saca?
by Gosaints
Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wes Agar, Redbacks rookie Aidan Cahill and Tasmanian (BBL Hobart Hurricanes) Josh Kann all Jets recruits

anyone know what happened at Salisbury oval. I see play commenced after an issue with the ground, however play discontinued soon after the 1st innings score was passed. With no further rain I assume the ground was considered safe to play.

huge dollars spent and in the most important season for many years and clubs pull the pin early with plenty time left in the game.

surely time playing with the recruits for some of the younger players would be invaluable regardless of the game situation.

I guess no amount of money and recruits can buy culture.

I heard that play didn't start until around 3pm and only 5 overs were played. I am led to believe the pitch was fine but there were some wet patches on the square. Apparently ND had no interest in putting any work in to the get the area playable so Sturt made them wait around until play got started. ND only needed a couple of quick wickets and they would have been right into the lower order/tail. I heard it was the Sturt people who put some work in on the square as ND were just sitting around with Cosi and their captain continually lobbying the umps to call it off. Obviously Sturt were keen to get the 20 points given all the games at Park 25 and elsewhere got away, which they are absolutely entitled to do. They peeled off the remaining 28 in 5 overs without losing any wickets and then play stopped. Probably walked off given no time for a further result and Sturt's NRR is pretty good with only losing 4 wickets and going at over 4 runs per over?
Yes - a lot of money spent to be bowled out for 135!!

Maybe Aary Gablett can tell us how it unfolded? Think his son played for Northerns on the day in the 1st Grade.

Have seen Cosi over many years try and bluff the umpires and try and get his own way. Been embarrassing the way he has carried on. Don’t know why he is getting involved this time, you are no longer the coach or captain, so keep the **** out of it :shock:

don't underestimate how hard it is to get a hose out that far........

surely, surely there is somebody at that club with a brain that would see the benefits of playing some cricket after a result is achieved given it is a team full of recruits? No one?

spending huge dollars, pissing off locals, no volunteers and the players are eating chips and watching races

I get that sturt would want to get out of there asap

I also get that Cosgrove would not want to play on however it is no longer about him, it is about the future - which looks ordinary - at least prospect have a plan.
by Gosaints
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

so the journey to a dysfunctional cricket system in SA continues.

clubs will spend up big on interstate recruits at the expense of investing in club pathways/coaching, as there is only so much money to go around.

when the money runs out there are no locals, no volunteers and many juniors have found better things to do in summer.

well done! - at least there are 8 clubs in 1st division and everybody in the saca high performance area keeps their jobs regardless of their performance.

muppets

I think some clubs have been outsmarted by the saca with this. They provided enough rope.

all on black....came up red!

I am not sure I would use the word 'outsmarted'

U ltimately SACA were able to have 2 divisions, they gave clubs the opportunity to sort themselves out to the best of their ability.

We needed an eight team first grade competition to improve the standard, and to improve access to coaching resources.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**** The current process where 2 teams will be replaced at the end of the season is the height of incompetence, they need to play finals with the bottom 2 from division 1 against the top 2 from division 2 to sort out the promotion/relegation for the next season.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4th grade is a waste of resources, third grade needs to be replaced by an Under 18 competition.

The junior program has way too many grades - let them play in individual competitions in under 13 and under 15 with one team each.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The connection between this restructure(which needs to happen) and the performance/culture of the Redbacks etc is very loose at best.

yes, a very ordinary arrangement when poor performing clubs over an extended period can just hand out buckets of cash for 1 season and be rewarded with division 1, if they make the 8!

culture. now there is a word.
by Gosaints
Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Interesting comment on the SACA Premier Cricket Facebook page. On their live stream post from today's one day grand final

A case of a bloke happy to give it on the field but then when he cops it in return doesn’t like it so much

So I’ll just use social media to instead where I don’t actually have to own it

looked to me like he did it under his own name and fully owned it. I don't think anyone could question the integrity of the poster of the comment.
by Gosaints
Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Northern Jets have pulled out their women's 1st Grade team from the competition. Scorpions going well but it leaves things a bit fragile at grassroots level if clubs are going to keep falling over.

Seems strange that we are happy to run 4 grades in the men's competition, yet in Women's first grade one of the clubs in the biggest growth areas in the state pulls out of the competition.

Something seriously wrong with the thinking about the way we can progress cricket in this state.

Why don't we change tack, let's forget about an eight team competition and change the culture of the Redbacks, more importantly the old boys club that still permeates selection of teams and squads in this state.

Will we win a shield in the 21st century?

I have no idea what point you are making here. Whilst the Redbacks set up is dysfunctional this issue relates to the culture of a "premier" cricket club, who withdraws their first grade team from the competition 2 days before the season starts. Pathetic.

Will Darcie Brown be playing second grade when available?

The standard of premier cricket has dropped to it's lowest standard ever in my view - SD would struggle against ATCA sides. Many sides are now just replicating what they see at state level with interstate/overseas recruits. When the money runs out, and it always does, there is nothing left other than a poor performing club with poor culture = shit standard of cricket.
by Gosaints
Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Surely they get to play for a flag in finals
Isn’t that why we play

Minor premier automatic
The premier if it’s not the minor premier goes up
If the minor premier is in the gf then the other gf participant

The division 1 teams that finish last and second last don’t get another chance stay up just because

The season will show that the top 3 or so in division 2 are competitive against all division 1 teams

I have heard that the team that finishes highest in division 2 will receive a certificate congratulating them on being the 9th ranked team in a 13 team competition.
by Gosaints
Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SACA U19 will not be promoted if they jagged the premiership, which they won't. Games involving the U19s are glorified trial games at best, and the standard will get worse and worse as the season progresses.

It should only be 1 team from Div 2 that gets promoted - 2 from essentially a 5 team competition is too many and the quality is not there - regardless of the cash spent.
by Gosaints
Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |