Search found 108 matches

Return

Re: EAGLES 2020 PREMIERS

I think so, Tea Tree Gully certainly was.
Another example of the SANFL screwing over Torrens.
We developed the area and it was even mooted that we set up home out there.
Then they gave the area to Norwood

Not sure you can say that the Eagles have been 'screwed over'. After all. you received the areas of two clubs: Woodville AND West Torrens. It was only right that some of your very old area was taken away.
The club has worked very hard in making success happen since then, but there is no way they were treated harshly by the SANFL.
Cheers

All 9 SANFL clubs have had equal zones well before the turn of the century. The Eagles don't have double the zone of everyone else.

It is no coincidence the lowest supported clubs (Eagles, South and West) have been shifted around the most over their history.

You can begin when Woodville was brought in in 1964. Then to compensate Torrens was given the north-east. Then it was taken away and handed to Norwood. Then the merger.

In more recent times, the Eagles lost Thebarton and that area to West in the early 2000's. Then when Port was turned into an AFL Reserves team, the Eagles were shifted out of the entire area west of the city and north of Trimmer Parade and even a suburb in Woodville was taken away. Glenelg and West the beneficiaries They have since been given a slice of the coastal area back to Henley Beach, beachside of Cudmore Tce and north of Henley Beach Rd.

The Eagles have taken over much of Port Adelaide heartland (good luck getting Eagles supporters from that lot - especially with the Magpies still in the SANFL) and have even built facilities in Wingfield of all places.

The club has still done a wonderful job of developing juniors and turning them in to AFL and SANFL League footballers, regardless of zones.

But yes, the SANFL have screwed over the Eagles, in both their forms, over the last 60 odd years. Hence they've gone from being the 3rd biggest club in 1963 (behind Port and Norwood) to one of the three smallest supported clubs. But, they've survived and prospered and the supporters who remain can be very proud of their club, which keeps battling on.
by Aerie
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

The SANFL management system is to bend over and grab their ankles, grin and bear it. They do whatever the AFL tells them to do. :twisted:
Yeah, I dont think I have ever seen such a weak knee organisation. Total weak as water and would not be able to make a decision to actually help our competion apart from feathering their own comfortable rich nests in their silver spoon environment. They should be ashamed of what they are doing to this states football league and to be frank they should all be sacked
by Reddeer
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 Player movements

gazzamagoo wrote:Apparently Dallas Hill back to Centrals.

Pity Centrals missed out on recruiting Knoll - the combination of a Dallas Hill, Elizabeth's grassy outer, and a Knoll could've been lethal.
by Magellan
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just remember the salary cap has gone up next year by 210k. It was zero this year.

Personally I think the Eagles are just recruiting in a smart fashion and have beome a club people desire to play at so are willing to make sacrifices knowing they'll have a red hot go at the flag. Their mix of young blood and well targetted recruits this year was top notch.
by Wedgie
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Longeran signed on for the Eagles next year
He will relish working with the new fitness coach.... ;)
Underrated player by opposition supporters but held in high regard at the Eagles for his leadership, game sense and clearing a pathway with his big arse for smaller players. Also a premiership player who didn't play in a losing game all year.
by wedgetail
Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2021 SEASON

Has there been any talk of an AFL hubs again due to recent Covid cases in the eastern states? Might impact the number of teams in our comp again this year.
by Mic
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 1

South dudded again.
After being the first club in Australia to have a crack at Good Friday Footy, and making a success of it , its fair to say we've drawn "the Crow "!
The game which sees us playing The Crows, will as per usual be a financial disaster for the club-its barely worth opening the gates.
The crows have very little or no support at SANFL level; and those few that do attend will drive in seated in their Toyota Camrys, bring their own Thermos of tea, a knee rug and Apricot slices, and spend zero at our food outlets.
A far better option would have been South playing Glenelg, which was the original Good Friday fixture which proved to be very well attended in the past. Also with former Glenelg favourite son Bryce Gibbs donning the Navy Blue and White it may have added a little more spice to the game. :roll:
by blueandwhite
Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 SANFL Fixture

With the Vic border closing again , will there be any impact on the SANFL if the Vic reserves teams are not allowed to play in their comp.

This is a good point. You would like to hope that the SANFL have considered a possible scenario as part of their fixture planning whereby an outbreak of COVID in Victoria forces the abandonment of the VFL (or whatever it is called now) that cascades and forces the Crows and Power to pull out of the SANFL.
by Mr Fuller
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: COVID

Lets hope so
by southernbulldog
Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Breaking their contracts with the SANFL,
boot them out.
by gazzamagoo
Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Booney wrote:
southernbulldog wrote:Last season showed we dont need them

Good sample size you've used to support your argument.

By god you're right, we need more data! Better keep them out for another decade or two so we can collect a decent sample...
by Pseudo
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The SANFL crows jumper for this season looks a lot better than the old one

Umm, why dont they both just wear their AFL guernsey and stop ******* around

Crows maybe but why would Port Magpies, a foundation club of the SANFL not want to honour their heritage?

You're not the real original magpies.

PA fvcked off to the AFL and a new team Port Adelaide Magpies was created to play in the SANFL and has sincce been taken over by PA Power.

You are Port Power AFL Reserves team.
by Groucho
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Booney wrote:DARREN CHANDLER: The Crows and Port have long term agreements to be part of the sanfl until 2028 and we’d like to strengthen that relationship.

Or until it doesn't suit either to which we will then let them walk away from the agreement no questions asked.
by whufc
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R3 Eagles v Adelaide Saturday 2.10PM

Eagles win the Hall-Stengle Cup.
by Gozu
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R9 Centrals v Eagles Saturday 1410

Come on "Doc" name the Eagles player you say is leaving at the end of June. You can't start an allegation without finishing it. Credibility is on the line here.

Fine. You win.

Cooper Sharman.

Just DON'T believe you. You mentioned the unnamed player was leaving after the end of June. When you originally posted your rumour Sharman didn't even know he would be drafted by St Kilda. Generally all newly drafted players would have been well gone before the end of June. You'll have to try better than that.
by ferret
Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A Port reflection.

My father, who grew up a good (Bob Shearman comes to mind) drop kick from Thebarton oval, occasionally joked (we think) that his life would have been happier if he had grown up as a Port supporter.

When I, as a Woodville boy, read the sometime heated contributions in this stub, I reflect on the history and psychology of the PAFC. Port's stance of 'us v the world' served them well in the SANFL as it galvanised their players and supporters, yet in reality, Port sides were also well-coached and they had the players who knew what was necessary to win the big games, especially in the finals.

In the current world of AFL, this disposition ('the world is against us') seems to have morphed into delusion (the Port Bs are the 'Magpies'), infantilism (the fetish of the prison bars) and despotism (attacking, at whim, imagined enemies, including, treacherously, the SANFL and its clubs).

As someone who, when very young, had a reasonable amount of direct contact with the Williams, McLeans, Motleys, Boyds and Gallifords (the last one is for the old cockledivers), this new attitude is foreign to the Port I knew. It seems to me that the new Port (or is it the current egotistical leadership) has a new shade which could see it evolving into yet another clever corporation which is attempting to dazzle its shareholders by fabricating new foes while living on the fumes of the past.

As a west Torrens boy who grew up in the 1970s I learned early from Port fans how feral they were .
Marrying into a port family wasn’t easy out of us three guys who married the three daughters in this family ones father was a head trainer at port . One was a sturt and hawthorn fan and me being a Torrens fan . The family tried to convert me to follow port nope and my kids cousins couldn’t understand how they didn’t and don’t follow port seeing we lived in the port heartland. Believe me not everyone that lives there were port fans more weren’t .
Now reading your post I’ve met both Geoff Motley and his son Peter Motley before his accident great people .

But the way Port bosses carry on like they’ve been kicked in the balls because they don’t get everything their own way must be embarrassing especially when one threatened to sack the coach on national tv then changed his mind
For myself Port are a tiny fish in the big AFL pond trying to live on their glory days in the SANFL
by MJP1993
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The June 2nd Draft

Good on Sturt. Don't think the AFL will listen, they have proven their only care is their needs and their needs only but good on Sturt for taking a bit of a stance.

Too many good people put hours on hours on hours of work in to have their season decimated halfway through in a matter of seconds.
by whufc
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL MRP News & Discussions

Hoskin’s suspension downgraded to 2 weeks.

https://sanfl.com.au/league/news/round-9-sanfl-match-review-panel-2/

The impact was downgrade from high impact to medium. No long term injury to Williams i suppose. They must want a player out injured to get full penalty. I wonder what the AFL would have thought on this verdict.

The interesting one was Fraser Fort. He received a fine and reprimand with early guilty plea however he fronted up on another charge and received the same penalty. One would think if her had a reprimand on 1st charge he should not get a plea deal on the second.
by goddy11
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sturt v Port

Good win to Sturt but that must have been the weakest team on paper PA have put out there this year.

Easily. Probably had 10 SANFL standard players out there.

Interesting post Booney it is Ports seconds team . So you should expect to play guys around and some below SANFL standard
I thought it was strange Hartlet got taken into the AFL side after his performance last week against the Eagles .
Well done to Sturt you can only beat the team on the park against you .
by MJP1993
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R13 South v Eagles Saturday 1335

These tough, muddy games in the middle of winter help set up your spot in the finals at the end of the year, but give little indication of what will happen on a fast deck in spring at the Adelaide Oval. A really good win by the Eagles to put a game and percentage on 4th spot. South with some work to do, but they are capable and shouldn’t be written off.

Redden was dominant. You would expect he’ll get better as the season progresses, given his whole off-season was spent recovering from shoulder surgery. Good to see Haylock and Coma step straight in and look comfortable at the level. A much better game from Mutch this week. Tsitas again very good. I thought Seymour played his best game for the season. His penetrating left foot could be very handy come September, he just needs to continue to back himself going for the ball and get his confidence up that he belongs at the level. Menzel and Stengle exceptional up forward and our win once again built on the solid foundations laid by Thompson, Giuffreda and Rowland in defence.
by Aerie
Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

DOC wrote:The umpires will as of today wear pink in all Eagles games.

That's what happens when you don't separate colours when you're washing clothes!
by nwdfanparade
Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R13 South v Eagles Saturday 1335

The Eagles weren't at their best on Saturday but their tenacity, perseverance and the ability to string together several excellent passages of play and compete for 120 minutes gave them a well deserved win. South's unwillingness to take on the game was costly, one goal in the second half was just not good enough. I thought the Eagles' backlines were tremendous. Under the slippery conditions Stengle's and Dan Menzel's goal kicking achievements were outstanding. Good to see "Big Red" getting fitter and being more involved. Special mention to Kobe Mutch, after struggling with a bad shoulder injury for a lot of the season he played his best game for the club in a different role.

It's been a messy season for the Eagles losing so many to the draft, interstate work and also trying to integrate new recruits and juniors in to the team.

Currently the Eagles have the best percentage and have the second best attack and the second best defence this is reflected in their ladder position

To date the Eagles have played 34 players in their twelve matches. Only four players have played every match of the season. The Eagles average only 12 players a week of their 2020 premiership 22. The team has included thirteen players new to the team this year. Significant injuries to Kobe Mutch, Clay Cameron, Troy Menzel, Jarrad Redden, Jordan West, Rory Lehmann and Matty Goldsworthy haven't helped the team get a feeling for each other and to gel smoothly each week. Throw in Stengle missing matches for a carry over suspension and a future champ in Cooper Sharman being kidnapped by the mid-season draft the efforts of the coaching staff must be recognised as outstanding by Eagle supporters. The Eagles continue to be a force.
by ferret
Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R18 Sturt v Eagles Saturday 1410

Ok I’ve been quiet on this game . Watched it on the pass less said about the pass the better but it’s better than nothing .
My take according to the internet Sturt ( excluding Glenelg as they are the form side ) was the form side of the league until yesterday’s game !
Eagles won to me it wasn’t pretty but the Eagles won after let’s say the bye . Eagles are known to drop a game after a bye .
Eagles do need to improve for the finals .
But the Eagles younger players stepped up and helped the team win !
And yesterday’s game was bigger for Sturt than the Eagles however the Eagles cemented second spot .
by MJP1993
Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R18 Sturt v Eagles Saturday 1410

Thought it was a pretty scrappy affair today. Eagles will want to lift significantly if we want to push deeper into the finals. Good to get the win though. The spread of goal kickers today shows that we are not reliant on any one forward to kick a bag which is a good because the pressure always goes up in the finals.

Does anyone know what has happened to Macfarlane and Cameron? They have been missing for a few weeks now. Will they be back in time to play a role in the finals? The eagles website is terrible at providing this information. A few years ago they were proactive in doing it but in the last 2 years they seem to have got lazy and outsourced the information it contains to the SANFL. Consequently there is no information on injuries, no match summaries, no coaches reports. I get they are trying to save $$ but would have thought it would take 20mins to post this information during the week.

I could easily see Sturt beating North next week but can't see South losing to West. Sturt are a decent team and probably at the moment just lack that one tall forward and polished midfielder that would take them to the next level. Their big ruckman is very impressive.

Doom and Gloom again from you "Mr Fuller". Not every match can be a pretty win. It was life or death for the Blues. Marty M. mentioned that Sturt's defence played very well, very easy to flood and be negative on a small oval. I thought you must have looked at the premiership table upside down, we are second to top not second to bottom. A premiership last season and second placing currently is a bloody good effort. With only four players playing every game, significant long term injuries and replacing many from last years team, it's been pretty hard to get consistency but will still have been winning. The crew at Oval Avenue have been doing a fantastic job, with the coach embracing all aspects of the club especially the juniors who are our future. So what about some positive encouragement heading in to the finals.
by ferret
Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 finals series

Must be going well if they can give free tickets away.

It’s to do with being a paid up member if you’ve attended all games or you have the home match ticket and attended all home games .
It’s also called rewarding fans who go every week :) I’m guessing the AFL seconds teams don’t do this seeing you follow one you’d know .
No offence
by MJP1993
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2nd Semi Final Bays v Eagles

Was anyone else expecting the game to go a couple minutes longer than it did ?
8 goals and 2 stoppages to blood rules in the last quarter.

There was only one point, suppose if there was the usual few more that would add another minute.

Hope the Bay player is okay, on the telly it looked like he was bleeding from his ear.
Hope is is ok. That did not look good.
It was the third gamer, Will Chandler.
25 min mark final qtr streaming through half forward, gets tackled & pinged holding the ball. Comes off with blood streaming from his ear. I thought it was one of the better umpired games vs the Eagles in some time but they got this decision terribly wrong at a crucial time. It was clearly high contact.
As said, can’t expect to play 1 qtr & win a 2nd semi, but if Hosie kicks that sitter to put us 7 pts up late, WWT wouldn’t have come back & won.
We’ll be better for the run, I expect to have another crack at the Eagles in a fortnight.
Never high tackle. It was a clash of heads. Not sure if that was why Tsitas had to come off with nose bleed later on.
by goddy11
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Jade Sheedy signs on !!

The Woodville West Torrens Football Club is delighted to announce that Jade Sheedy has agreed to a three-year contract extension.
Sheedy who joined the Club at the end of the 2019 season, still has a year to run on his existing contract, with this extension tying him to the Club until at least the end of the 2025 season.
On his decision to extend his contract Sheedy said, “I would like to thank the WWTFC in trusting me to guide the Club over the next 4 seasons. In the past 2 years, the playing group have built strong foundations, and we will all strive to continue to build upon these. I am very grateful for the support of all Coach’s & backroom staff that all make this Club great.”
CEO Luke Powell said the Club was thrilled to extend Jade’s contract and set the long-term direction of the football program.
“Jade has come in and had an instant impact at the Club in his first two seasons, and we couldn’t be happier to have Jade oversee our football program for the next four seasons. Not only has Jade produced great results on field but he has also shown the wonderful ability to develop and grow our younger players, as was reflected in losing four mature age players to the AFL at the end of the 2020 season. To have the services of a strong leader such as Jade for the next four seasons gives our football program great stability for the future and a chance for it to grow into something really special.”
by MJP1993
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 Magarey Medal

Booney wrote:Tsitas 31 SANFL games 1 x premiership 1 x Magarey

Won't be done again.

Try 2 premiership medal in 32 games.
by goddy11
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 SANFL Grand Final WWT Eagles v Glenelg Sunday 3pm

Like the Tigers of old…………
by Jim05
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wedgie wrote:Hayes for Jack Oatey? What a player.

How has he not been on an afl list?
Even rookie listed given some of the plodders in the afl currently

Every time I see him play he stands out.
by amber_fluid
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

well, what can you say, beaten all over the ground from 12 minutes into the first qtr.

we needed to quell the influence of menzels x2 and stengle, hoping our defence would do something different after the 2nd semi, that didnt happen!

at halftime the stats showed we were in front in most kpi's except rebound 50s and was hoping we might show something in the third.........WRONG!!!

10 minutes into the third and the game was over, no marks inside 50, forard line a shambles and the final margin was just. even in the last when the game was al over the eagles defence refused to relax and let us get some cheap goals, a total team effort.

Was glad Hosie had just one kick for the match. The way he struts around every time he gets a goal, or throws his head back or arms in the air wanting a free kick every time he goes near the ball is embarrassing!

Reynolds was soft and useless, McBean given bath by a rookie, whereas Eagles key forwards kicked ten between them!
I guess we can’t all have Coke heads and people facing sexual assault charges in our forward lines. Maybe all the other teams should try harder to recruit questionable characters.

Hmmm…
by Spargo
Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

After 30 years of almost always making the finals but only winning a few premierships, the Eagles have certainly got it all together in the past 2 years, with 2 one-sided grand final wins in a row. The fact that their coach has re-signed, and how well they seem to replace departing players, suggests they are likely to be on top for quite a while.
by Mic
Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Magellan wrote:What was yesterday's attendance?

22 WWT players
8 Glenelg players
by mots02
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Reckon one area of the Eagles game that’s gone a bit underrated is how well they withstood some serious pressure from the Bays in the 10-15 minutes before halftime. Bays jag a goal or two in that time (which imho they would have against lesser opposition) and it’s game on at halftime.
by JK
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

From the aftermath-
Guifreda retiring
Poole playing country footy with Von Bertouch and Nathan Batley (W A) next year.
Redden to go on for another year (opposition supporters can bag his weight all they like but he's been a major part in 3 premierships)
Great to see McNeil, Jones, Wehr, Rowe, 2020 premiership players along with Jack Lukosius and Izaak Rankine at the after party.
Jack Hayes played with a broken leg - what a superstar!
Geez Hayes is good on one leg!
Has to be drafted surely.
by tigerpie
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Reckon one area of the Eagles game that’s gone a bit underrated is how well they withstood some serious pressure from the Bays in the 10-15 minutes before halftime. Bays jag a goal or two in that time (which imho they would have against lesser opposition) and it’s game on at halftime.
Excellent point, JK.
by Magellan
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A brilliant 4-quarter performance by the Eagles.

I thought if the Eagles could match the bay midfield, their potency forward could provide enough to win the game. To have all of Dan and Troy Menzel and Stengle with goals in the first quarter was a great sign. Never under-estimate the work Angus Poole and Jack Firns do up forward though. Firns role didn’t just nullify Curran - he provided a genuine contest at CHF and often came out on top, every single time. His finals series was outstanding and he must be one of Sheedy’s favourite players. I thought he was next best to Jack Hayes. If that was Poole’s last game, I am very sorry to see him go. He was one of the few who always had what it takes for finals football. His courage and pressure is immense. His standards always high, he has been a wonderful player for the Eagles who I’d hope could be talked in to going around again.

The defence was impenetrable. A legacy of the set up left from the Godden era, Luke Thompson, Pat Giuffreda and Sam Rowland are often the last line and often come up with the ball. Every bit as brilliant at their defensive craft as the Menzel’s and Stengle are up forward. Luke Beecken was this years young gun who played with an inflated confidence Sheedy seems to be able to give. Jungfer and his kamikaze style and good use of the ball is a gem. Lehmann and Cameron made sure the ball was brought to ground and playing the extra tall in defence proved a good decision. On a different day, Cameron could be just as useful up forward.

Games are won in the midfield and the big triple premiership ruckman was influential in giving his midfielders first use of the ball. Tsitas, Lonergan and Sinor provide the much needed grunt a premiership winning midfield needs. Knowing Glenelg have the same caliber of players makes this win even sweeter. Knight has been brilliant and a great replacement for Foote. Mutch became better as the season progressed and had a great Grand Final and Finals series - always handy to be competent on both feet. Toumpas, I believe, is three Premiership wins from three Grand Finals and has been one of the leading possession getters on the wing in all three games. Pudney and Comma forced their way in to the league side through performance after just missing out this year. Comma looms as the new Gus Poole if Poole does retire. He is fearless.

Then there is Jack Hayes. The best player in the SANFL. The Jack Oatey medalist playing with a fracture in his leg. He leads from the front and is a force no other side has. Ruck, Ruck Rover, Centre Half Forward, he has all those old positions covered. He deserves a chance at the highest level.

The lead in the first quarter was handy. The 2nd was an arm wrestle - Glenelg did well to hold the Eagles for the first 15 minutes, the Eagles did equally well to hold Glenelg before half time. The half time wait was full of expectation of a Glenelg come back - but the Eagles through the dominant Redden, hit the scoreboard early and the tackling and smothers of Sinor in that 3rd quarter were proof Eagles weren’t letting Glenelg back in the game. The 4th quarter was pure bliss.

Back to back for the first time. The merged club now has 5 premierships and a Magarey Medallist. 1993, 2006, 2011, 2020 and 2021 sit forever alongside the flags of 1924, 1933, 1945 and 1953 at Oval Avenue. The stairway of legends continues to grow.
by Aerie
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"Geez Hayes is good on one leg!
Has to be drafted surely."

I had a quick talk with JH a year or so ago. He said that he had put up for the draft and wasn't (obviously) picked. So good outcome for Eagles. And aged 25, he may have missed his chance. More good luck for Eagles. With 6 x 3 and 1 x 2 in MM, he signalled his class.
Geelong will pick him up in about 6 years time.

When he was at that age most likely to be drafted 19-21 he was playing predominantly as a permanent FF or CHF. There's never been ever question that he can take great contested grab but I think the knock on him was his finishing in front of goal. It was probably enough to put question marks on him. A few years on from that the team structure necessitated him spending more time in the ruck and drifting forward. It is in this role he has broken out because it allows him to continue showcasing his marking strength but also his versatility and fitness. And for whatever reason he has hugely improved his kicking for goal. I think he is definitely good enough to play AFL but history shows it is unlikely that someone in their mid-20s will be given a crack which is a shame. Good for the eagles though!
by Mr Fuller
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Enjoying the Bays choke as much as I am it's been negligent of me to not acknowledge the Eagles efforts, not just in the last 18 months but in reality their whole existence.

From memory they've missed finals twice this century and stand alone when it comes to their junior program repeatedly producing AFL talent, helps with Henley and St Micks in their zone but they still do an amazing job producing talent.

Hats off to their whole organisation, they set the bench mark on field far more often than any other club has in the post-AFL era.
by Booney
Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Was this a joke. No one has mentioned this. I think he will take the Reprimand :D

Woodville-West Torrens ruckman Jarrad Redden has been offered a reprimand with an early guilty plea for engaging in rough conduct with Glenelg’s Matthew Snook in the SANFL Grand Final on Sunday.

Jarrad Redden (Eagles) – Rough Conduct

Conduct: Careless

Impact: Low

Base Sanction: $125 fine and reprimand

Early Guilty Plea: Reprimand
Someone at the SANFL has too much time on their hands. :?
by Wedgie
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes, the Eagles have always been strong in juniors and that is full credit to their programme over many years. But I think a large part of the Eagles success is they are a "Destination Club"; players with aspirations for success want to play there.
Decent players in their latter years who are chasing Premierships will head to the Eags. And they will often go TO the Eagles and ask to play rather than the Eagles have to chase them down.
Its a vibe momentum which is hard to gain, and needs constant changing approaches to retain, something the Eagles have done better than any other.
by northerner
Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just watching the Digital Pass version of the Grand Final and half way through the 3rd quarter scores are similar to both the Channel 7 version and the live game.

Anyway, I think the goal at the 9 minute mark of the 3rd quarter where the ball was scrambled forward, a ball up near 50, more tackling and pressure before Mutch ended up with the ball by himself in the goal square most typified the overall team effort. Last year it was 1 quarter of magic that blew the game open but this year was systematic, planned and executed to perfection.
by Aerie
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Want something other than Bay baiting? All righty, here's my loose change:

"Glenelg are a momentum side, we did talk about during the week...what we need to do if they get a run on" This quote, attributed to master coach Jade Sheedy after the 2nd Semi final, all but confirmed to me that this is not the Eagles sides you saw in the last two decades. Even 1994 if you like. Initially I thought during that run on in the last quarter "here we go again", but then "no, this is a Sheedy led side, lets see what happens". See above for the answer.

This leads me to the Grannie...I feel, Balboa vs Drago inspiration aside, that his coaching gives the players confidence to stand up against anyone in the finals. Partington? No Goldy? No worries! In the past, during those many failed finals campaigns, was there a fall back to combat when things got tough (invariably against sides donning red and white)? I rather believe it was more like 1:15 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTElSJExL4U&ab_channel=TheSimpsons .

Basically you could say about the big day, the first quarter was almost a carbon copy of the previous outing, right down to the score. The second was a modern day football tug of war, then the third and fourth quarters was the only time out of the 5 premierships, where that killer instinct which Port and Dogs sides once had showed, right down to that sweet end. While there were avenues to goal for the gold-green-blue, it was like Golden Grove for the Tigers - mostly cul-de-sacs. One to highlight the point was the smother by Sinor in the 3rd quarter. While it wasn't the biggest winning margin of the 5, it was the most crushing - consider the 2nd biggest losing margin by a minor premier in the decider; lowest finals score by Glenelg for starters.

To keep this post short, while nothing will top 2011, there was a particular constant with that game - both Jack Oatey Medalists were one of the two ruckmen on the day; Jarrad Redden was the other ruck both times (but was high up in the 22 best players this time around), and Jack Hannath was one of the opposing ruck players. I want to single out two other players - pleased for Comma after missing out last year, and Kobe Mutch for his best game of the year. The least visible player we had was Lehmann...but his opponent was not less camouflaged either!

The challenge is of course to deal with more player losses and go for a triple treat next year!
by spell_check
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Love the analysis spell_check.

Hats off to Sheedy, the move I think was the most important in us winning the premiership was the faith placed in Firns, Poole and Comma to contest and ensure we at worst broke even at CHF in the air and on the ground. Firns and Poole in particular are far better overhead than their height would suggest and made sure we weren’t out marked and used their pace and will to win the ball on the ground or pressure the opposition. The work rate of our midfield ensured numbers at the contest. Dan Menzel and Stengle were able to stay deeper because of this. He could’ve easily kept with the taller Von Bertouch - who we’d won a premiership with and were comfortably top 3 with getting towards the end of minor round, but he went all in on Firns. Even in the final when he bought Lehmann in for Goldy for more height, that extra height was used in defence. Hayes was able to maintain his role instead of being the only target.

In 2006 when we broke the drought it was the introduction of the athletic Grocke and Inkster up forward that gave us that edge we hadn’t had - together with the additions to an already good midfield of Cooper (inside grunt) and Jarrad (outside ball carrier) that finally got Fuller his premiership.

An avalanche of long goals, a mixture of youth and experience, a dominant ruckman and an inspired game plan by Godden saw us steal the 2011 premiership and finally end Central’s run of dominance.

2015 we lost our aggressive on ball brigade of Rowntree, Poole and Borholm to injury in the Prelim and couldn’t match the class of Westies mids. We had no avenue through half forward for most of those finals losses through the mid-2010’s, highlighted by the Grand Final Sturt beat us in - despite having a fairly dominant full forward in Wundke. To go with that we needed the workhorses instead of more ‘stars’.

Sheedy was able to get the balance just right and his players delivered.
by Aerie
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Season 2022 Player Movements

Mentioned on the GF thread but should be here - Giuffreda and Poole announced at the B&F as official outs for the Eagles due to retirement.

Giuffreda has never won a club champion award, probably never won a Magarey vote. But over 200+ games he has been an absolute champion of the club, rarely beaten and one of the key reasons why the Eagles have been such a difficult team to score against. His versatility meant that he could play tall or small. He can retire knowing that his formed never dropped right to the end.

Poole has been another vitally important player to the Club during his time with his toughness and tenacity. Initially started his career in the midfield then probably made his mark on the half-forward line where he’d regularly contribute to the scoreboard. For one of the smallest players in the competition he was very good overhead rarely fumbled and a tough tackler. I am convinced that his absence to injury in the 2015 GF was one of the reasons our team underperformed on that day. At only 27 he potentially had 3-4 years of good footy left but as has been mentioned on this forum the demands of SANFL can be tough on players with respect to work and family. A great clubman and will be missed by supporters.

Congratulations both on great careers.
by Mr Fuller
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sorry, I cant get enough of the Eagles. Got my shirt and cap today.
by goddy11
Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wolf Pack wrote:Gotta love Eagles supporters!!
The 2015 loss must still hurt!

Yes it did. W.A. peaked at the right time and deserved to win, but the Eagles haven't sat on their backsides and were motivated to do better. Good clubs respond positively.
by ferret
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Gotta love Eagles supporters!!
The 2015 loss must still hurt!

Yes it did. W.A. peaked at the right time and deserved to win, but the Eagles haven't sat on their backsides and were motivated to do better. Good clubs respond positively.
We didn't respond the following year to well. :evil: :(

We finally got there, back to back and it motivated us to create history.
by ferret
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

To go with the beer. That score looks great on the bottle.
by goddy11
Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"The best player in the comp massive out if St Kilda take him (JH)."

This was not the news I wanted for Xmas. Good luck to JH if that's what he wants, I suppose, but it would be a terrible waste if he ends up being a backup to a backup in the St Kilda VFL side . I hope his brother can talk to him about being a fringe AFL player.

Yep it stings mate, watching your boys clamp us in the Quali where we were crying out for a key forward who can take a contested mark, and knowing Jackson Callow taken in the MSD was just sitting around in Melbourne gathering dust, wasn't an easy pill to swallow. Rivalries aside I hope JH gets a (decent) crack at AFL because I've always rated him and enjoyed watching him play. But if an AFL club isn't going to give him a genuine opportunity then I hope he stays here and we can see him perform on a weekly basis.
by JK
Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |