Search found 14 matches

Return

Re: 2020 Player movement

Magarey Medallist Luke Partington signs a 3 year contract at The Bay. He will be joined by ruckman Jack Hannath (Centrals/Freo).
Also, Glenelg juniors returning to the club are Billy Stretch (Melbourne), Matt Allen (West Coast), Curtis McCarthy (Geelong) & Jackson Edwards (Werribee).

Great signings but when you look at our loses we should have plenty of money left in the salary cap and a few more key players to replace hopefully.
A premiership can do wonders for clubs in regard to former players, IMHO.

Some sound player management from this point and your boys could be a force for a few years yet.
by StrayDog
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Clubs

Whats the point if spectators cant attend

SANFL are seeing this as an opportunity to get back before other major sports, and the opportunities that might come with that. Broadcasting would be an interesting conversation if SANFL starts playing a few weeks before AFL.

What opportunities?
sports-starved people will watch the SANFL because nothing else is on, might get some rejuvenated interest in the comp, or some new interest. There's the most obvious opportunity.
by gazzamagoo
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

RB wrote:
topshelf wrote:The possibility of getting extra money from channel 7 to telecast games

Extra money?

I thought the SANFL paid them to show it.

CH7 have the rights to one game per round, other games up are for grabs
by Dutchy
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Like all of us on here we love the SANFL and its been a real pity we havent been able to see our teams in action.If we get up and running will the competition comprise of just the 8 proper SANFL clubs , I reckon it looks that way at the moment. Most likely 8 teams.

Perfect. 14 game season for 2020. 21 games from 2021.
by Locky
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cant we just agree we have no idea what will happen? Know alls that know nothing.
Port wont be part of it as they will need the AFL lifeline as they did the SANFL.The SANFL does not need to be restructured IMO. The League competition will change but I think back to a 9 team fixture with the Crows just fielding a lot of top up players.

You've changed your tune :shock:
by LMA
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Port wont be part of it as they will need the AFL lifeline as they did the SANFL.The SANFL does not need to be restructured IMO. The League competition will change but I think back to a 9 team fixture with the Crows just fielding a lot of top up players.

It will 100% only be 8 teams this year, there is no way anyone on an AFL list will be able to mix with the plebs from the SANFL with their quarantine hubs they will set up.
If we are lucky that will continue into next season
by daysofourlives
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They can play with themselves. :? :D
by Groucho
Sun May 03, 2020 8:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Why would Port not be in the SANFL this year and going forward? Any list reductions are speculative and wont be happening immediately anyway even if they come to pass. The members want Port to stay and the club has stated they want to stay. The position seems quite clear. Because you are under control of the AFL now so ultimately they will be the ones who decide the fate of the Magpies
by Jim05
Mon May 04, 2020 6:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm confused why Port would want a zone. Their recruitment comes via the draft.

Correct - a nationwide recruitment zone......and a multi million dollar salary cap to go with it.

In 2010 the SANFL Port magpies merged with an AFL franchise-Port Power.
Prior to that the SANFL -holding the AFL license of the Power "helped it out" financially as it was very close to bankrupt on several occasions. In fact the SANFL borrowed money at commercial rates to keep them solvent. The total amounts of these handouts I was told was over 20 mill.
The Power and the magpies merged. The Powers reserve side was named the Magpies for marketing reasons of course, and was granted a license to play in the SANFL. The Port Adelaide Football club is not a member club of the SANFL and hasnt been since 2010. It does not have a delegate on the SANFL and hasnt since 2010. The Power moved to Adelaide Oval but in the week leading up to their first home game were found to be short of $$ and again asked for 1 mill from the SANFL , even though the SANFL had sold the license. The SANFL obliged of course.
The SANFL owe Port Adelaide nothing.
by blueandwhite
Mon May 04, 2020 3:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

I hate to say we told you so but we told you so.

Pack up your shite and get out.

What’s the difference between a one legged, stuttering, homeless guy with severe Tourette’s who has been unemployed for 5 years and Port Adelaide Magpies ????

The homeless guy might one day have a future. Hahaha bang.

Reckon that will be the end of the reserves sides in the SANFL. Only took a global pandemic but it finally happened.
by stan
Tue May 12, 2020 4:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2020 Season

Has anyone checked on how George Fiacchi has taken the news ??
by UK Fan
Tue May 12, 2020 4:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

AFL have announced no AFL listed player will play State League footy this year so that would officially end any thoughts of Crows/Port in SANFL.

Heartbreaking.
At least one piece of great news has come out of this mess.

YES! Even better if it continues next season on and beyond. Fingers crossed. :D
by Groucho
Tue May 12, 2020 4:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bet they're back in 2021

SANFL will be told as there will be no $$$ for an AFL reserves comp when they've got to fund AFLW next year with reduced revenue. Doubtful there will be limited $$$ all round I would say

Reduced lists they’ll be farming Unused players back to SANFL to get games into players at zero costs imho.

The sanfl clubs use to pay the afl players $350 a game from memory. Money they can earn outside the cap.

I can’t see why Carlton would kill off Preston if they were going to be back next season
by UK Fan
Tue May 12, 2020 4:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

goddy11 wrote:Ironic that the Magpies 150th year could also be its last year.

And last game was a GF loss to Glenelg :-)
by UK Fan
Tue May 12, 2020 5:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic