Search found 54 matches

Return

Re: 2020 Player movement

Magarey Medallist Luke Partington signs a 3 year contract at The Bay. He will be joined by ruckman Jack Hannath (Centrals/Freo).
Also, Glenelg juniors returning to the club are Billy Stretch (Melbourne), Matt Allen (West Coast), Curtis McCarthy (Geelong) & Jackson Edwards (Werribee).

Great signings but when you look at our loses we should have plenty of money left in the salary cap and a few more key players to replace hopefully.
A premiership can do wonders for clubs in regard to former players, IMHO.

Some sound player management from this point and your boys could be a force for a few years yet.
by StrayDog
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Clubs

Whats the point if spectators cant attend

SANFL are seeing this as an opportunity to get back before other major sports, and the opportunities that might come with that. Broadcasting would be an interesting conversation if SANFL starts playing a few weeks before AFL.

What opportunities?
sports-starved people will watch the SANFL because nothing else is on, might get some rejuvenated interest in the comp, or some new interest. There's the most obvious opportunity.
by gazzamagoo
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

RB wrote:
topshelf wrote:The possibility of getting extra money from channel 7 to telecast games

Extra money?

I thought the SANFL paid them to show it.

CH7 have the rights to one game per round, other games up are for grabs
by Dutchy
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Like all of us on here we love the SANFL and its been a real pity we havent been able to see our teams in action.If we get up and running will the competition comprise of just the 8 proper SANFL clubs , I reckon it looks that way at the moment. Most likely 8 teams.

Perfect. 14 game season for 2020. 21 games from 2021.
by Locky
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cant we just agree we have no idea what will happen? Know alls that know nothing.
Port wont be part of it as they will need the AFL lifeline as they did the SANFL.The SANFL does not need to be restructured IMO. The League competition will change but I think back to a 9 team fixture with the Crows just fielding a lot of top up players.

You've changed your tune :shock:
by LMA
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Port wont be part of it as they will need the AFL lifeline as they did the SANFL.The SANFL does not need to be restructured IMO. The League competition will change but I think back to a 9 team fixture with the Crows just fielding a lot of top up players.

It will 100% only be 8 teams this year, there is no way anyone on an AFL list will be able to mix with the plebs from the SANFL with their quarantine hubs they will set up.
If we are lucky that will continue into next season
by daysofourlives
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They can play with themselves. :? :D
by Groucho
Sun May 03, 2020 8:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Why would Port not be in the SANFL this year and going forward? Any list reductions are speculative and wont be happening immediately anyway even if they come to pass. The members want Port to stay and the club has stated they want to stay. The position seems quite clear. Because you are under control of the AFL now so ultimately they will be the ones who decide the fate of the Magpies
by Jim05
Mon May 04, 2020 6:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm confused why Port would want a zone. Their recruitment comes via the draft.

Correct - a nationwide recruitment zone......and a multi million dollar salary cap to go with it.

In 2010 the SANFL Port magpies merged with an AFL franchise-Port Power.
Prior to that the SANFL -holding the AFL license of the Power "helped it out" financially as it was very close to bankrupt on several occasions. In fact the SANFL borrowed money at commercial rates to keep them solvent. The total amounts of these handouts I was told was over 20 mill.
The Power and the magpies merged. The Powers reserve side was named the Magpies for marketing reasons of course, and was granted a license to play in the SANFL. The Port Adelaide Football club is not a member club of the SANFL and hasnt been since 2010. It does not have a delegate on the SANFL and hasnt since 2010. The Power moved to Adelaide Oval but in the week leading up to their first home game were found to be short of $$ and again asked for 1 mill from the SANFL , even though the SANFL had sold the license. The SANFL obliged of course.
The SANFL owe Port Adelaide nothing.
by blueandwhite
Mon May 04, 2020 3:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

I hate to say we told you so but we told you so.

Pack up your shite and get out.

What’s the difference between a one legged, stuttering, homeless guy with severe Tourette’s who has been unemployed for 5 years and Port Adelaide Magpies ????

The homeless guy might one day have a future. Hahaha bang.

Reckon that will be the end of the reserves sides in the SANFL. Only took a global pandemic but it finally happened.
by stan
Tue May 12, 2020 4:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2020 Season

Has anyone checked on how George Fiacchi has taken the news ??
by UK Fan
Tue May 12, 2020 4:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

AFL have announced no AFL listed player will play State League footy this year so that would officially end any thoughts of Crows/Port in SANFL.

Heartbreaking.
At least one piece of great news has come out of this mess.

YES! Even better if it continues next season on and beyond. Fingers crossed. :D
by Groucho
Tue May 12, 2020 4:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bet they're back in 2021

SANFL will be told as there will be no $$$ for an AFL reserves comp when they've got to fund AFLW next year with reduced revenue. Doubtful there will be limited $$$ all round I would say

Reduced lists they’ll be farming Unused players back to SANFL to get games into players at zero costs imho.

The sanfl clubs use to pay the afl players $350 a game from memory. Money they can earn outside the cap.

I can’t see why Carlton would kill off Preston if they were going to be back next season
by UK Fan
Tue May 12, 2020 4:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

goddy11 wrote:Ironic that the Magpies 150th year could also be its last year.

And last game was a GF loss to Glenelg :-)
by UK Fan
Tue May 12, 2020 5:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 3 Glenelg v North 1410 Glenelg

Oh sweet geezus we have HIM commentating the game, why oh why. And the chick. I might have to go to the pub I think.
by Wedgie
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SANFL salary cap to be reduced to $250k next season

Reserves to stay but to play for zero.

It was $380k in 2019 wasn't it?

Personally i think they should've scrapped the Reserves, have smaller senior list sizes (30-32 players max), have up to five or six players play in the u/18s and the rest go back to local footy if they're available and not selected in either but i guess playing for nothing is another option. Hopefully we can keep as much talent as we can but that is a big drop in pay for the senior list.

$380k for seven of the ten clubs; over a million for two of the clubs, and whatever they could fit into brown paper bags for the other club ;)
by bulldogproud
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 12 Eagles v Glenelg Saturday 1334 (not a typo)

Of course you can mention umpiring, you just can’t blame them for losing.
Everyone has said the the Eagles totally outplayed us, they were so much better in all areas. Made us look second rate.
But that umpiring today was as biased, inconsistent & embarrassingly one sided as I’ve seen in many, many years.

I watched the telecast last night. There were the usual 50/50 decisions but to call the umpiring inconsistent & embarrassingly smells of sour grapes. The bays were monstered. Even earlier comments on this thread by bay people were saying the Bay were finding themselves second to the ball. There were dumb high tackles even in ruck. So kicks out of bounds untouched. At least in the last 1/4 the Bays tried to run the ball out .You may need to go back and look at the vision.[/quote]

I usually have time for your posts, but you’ve missed the point here.
Every post from Glenelg supporters has lauded the Eagles dominance. Go back & have look, and it was posted before any comments on the umpiring.
It’s not sour grapes commenting on the terrible standard of the umpiring when you’ve already admitted being outclassed by the opposition & also stating the umpiring has no impact on the result. If you’ve gone back & watched the game again & didn’t think you had a good ride, then I question your look at the game.
We had 3 Eagles supporters in front of us, one who turned around late in the 2nd qtr & said “we haven’t had a run from the umps like this in years”.
It’s all relevant.
by Spargo
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Finals matches

No.

SANFL Finals need to be played on the 'big stage' otherwise they become even more irrelevant to the SA footy public.
by whufc
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Koch “If there are smaller (AFL) list sizes that would not stop us being the Magpies, but the SANFL have got to come to the party and make it a level playing field (ability to recruit) on the same basis as the other clubs.

"a level playing field".

https://media.giphy.com/media/Hqk8lQqi8ECsw/giphy.gif
by Pseudo
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

I'm not 100% sure they'll be in the comp.

If squads go 42 + 2 rookies

Any injuries plus taking emergencies interstate they may not field a full development squad team

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

They will probably be allowed to raid our lists to make their numbers up.

I wouldn’t be joking about this

Koch “If there are smaller (AFL) list sizes that would not stop us being the Magpies, but the SANFL have got to come to the party and make it a level playing field (ability to recruit) on the same basis as the other clubs.
They have to be flexible with that and love us or hate us, I think South Australian football is the better for having a Magpies in the SANFL and that history.'

So they want to spend more to be more competitive if lists are cut.

Contradicting the reason for list cuts Hope he was told to go **** himself
by Jim05
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm not 100% sure they'll be in the comp.

If squads go 42 + 2 rookies

Any injuries plus taking emergencies interstate they may not field a full development squad team

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

They will probably be allowed to raid our lists to make their numbers up.

I wouldn’t be joking about this

They have to be flexible with that and love us or hate us, I think South Australian football is the better for having a Magpies in the SANFL and that history.'

So they want to spend more to be more competitive if lists are cut.

Contradicting the reason for list cuts

It was a more level playing field prior to the AFL reserves, even if the Magpies were unsuccessful this Century. Koch using the "Magpies spin", anyone with a brain knows they're Magpies by name only, the team is an AFL reserves side. The SANFL is worse off having a Power and Crows reserve team in it. Having a true Magpie team in the SANFL on a level playing field is a different argument.
"But the SANFL have got to come to the party and make it a level playing field (ability to recruit) on the same basis as the other clubs" , what a disgraceful, ignorant statement on so many levels.
by Dogs64
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The salary cap is set at $200,000 for standalone clubs and $100,000 for AFL and aligned clubs. As previously communicated, there will be no licence fee payable by any club to participate in the 2021 second-tier competition with the AFL to subsidise all approved club travel for interstate matches.
Look! The AFL is bankrolling a reserves competition! And the naysayers said it would never happen.

If they can pay for other clubs to fly up and down the eastern seabord, then they can pay to fly an SA based team into Mexico every week. Off ya go Ravens, there's how you can save your $400K. Take your cross-city cousins with you.
by Pseudo
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 Player movements

Not sure if it has been mentioned already, but former AFL and West Adelaide listed player Gibson Turner is training with Glenelg.
by Big Phil
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2021 SEASON

so Stengle set to play at the eagles, who will be paying him i wonder, give them the pennant now ffs
by stampy
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

so Stengle set to play at the eagles, who will be paying him i wonder, give them the pennant now ffs

Bit of a joke really. Have mass recruited and kept one of the mid season recruits from last season. Lost a few senior players and a bunch of kids. Any Eagles fans that ever complained about Norwood cheating the salary cap with ten gardeners, etc can't say much anymore. The gardens have never look better.
by stan
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What a load of garbage. You don't know anything. Put up or shut up. You wouldn't have a clue how the Eagles operate. What ex AFL player are we fitting in now??????

Relax, why so angry? Stengle is the player in question, if it happens. Very angry you lot, lucky not many of you around.
They’re a special breed mate (you only have to look at last years’ GF thread) keep casting, they’ll keep biting :lol:
by Spargo
Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Relax, why so angry? Stengle is the player in question, if it happens. Very angry you lot, lucky not many of you around.
They’re a special breed mate (you only have to look at last years’ GF thread) keep casting, they’ll keep biting :lol:

The insolvents keep bleating.

You're lucky to still be alive. The council should have wiped your mob. Any other business you wouldn't be in existence.

Why?? It’s called a supporter base one day you’ll have o.... nah who am I kidding!
by am Bays
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

arcadefire wrote:Do Glenelg have a supporter base? I thought it died out in the 80's

You mean back when Torrens AND Woodville kept the turnstiles ticking over :lol:
You hybrids need to pick your mark a bit better than this...
by Spargo
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So let me get this straight

We have a club the was born out poor financial management that had to merge to continue it's existence complaining about clubs who have reduced their debt but with supporters who based on perception don't travel.

This own club's supporter base at home looks like an away crowd and when they do play away their supporters are as rare as rocking horse sh!t

Have I got it right??
by am Bays
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port writes to AFL over SANFL grievances....

Davies has a very punchable face.
by saintal
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port writes to AFL over SANFL grievances....

Totally arrogant flogs its a wonder Koch has weighed in and had a sook as well.Bugger off we dont need or want you .
by southernbulldog
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Now to open up the can of worms: Is this the best distribution of points among the various comps?

NO it's wrong.

The women's League is NOT the same standard as the SANFL Men. I would even say it is a lower standard than the u18 and maybe even the U16.

I would allocate the points as below.

League 100
Reserves 50
U18 50
U16 25
Women 25
by Groucho
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R3 Centrals v Glenelg Saturday 2.10PM

WTF is goi g on down there??

Any danger in Centrals paying power bill so the digital pass can work??

FFS!
by am Bays
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Digital Pass

Love when you pay for a product and you don't even get to see it.
by whufc
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"The Power president... said the state league’s management made Port feel 'a little unwanted'..."

Well yes Kochie, you and your bastard cousins are indeed unwanted in the SANFL. ******* off to the VFL would be most welcomed.
by RB
Fri May 14, 2021 3:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R12 Eagles v Glenelg Sunday 1335

hybrids getting their usual charmed run from the magots, 12-6 frees so far
by stampy
Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R12 Eagles v Glenelg Sunday 1335

Gazz wrote:Perspective is a wonderful thing, the Eagles may have shaded the bays free kick wise but jeez glenelg got the benefit in better positions.

Perspective? 5 of your 8 goals were from frees.
Jog on.
by Spargo
Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 SANFL Grand Final WWT Eagles v Glenelg Sunday 3pm

Reckon one area of the Eagles game that’s gone a bit underrated is how well they withstood some serious pressure from the Bays in the 10-15 minutes before halftime. Bays jag a goal or two in that time (which imho they would have against lesser opposition) and it’s game on at halftime.
by JK
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Word at the Bay last night was that we were supposed to use the Port rooms yesterday but apparently there were still 2-3 Port players in there still getting ready for their Preliminary Final….
by am Bays
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

well, what can you say, beaten all over the ground from 12 minutes into the first qtr.

we needed to quell the influence of menzels x2 and stengle, hoping our defence would do something different after the 2nd semi, that didnt happen!

at halftime the stats showed we were in front in most kpi's except rebound 50s and was hoping we might show something in the third.........WRONG!!!

10 minutes into the third and the game was over, no marks inside 50, forard line a shambles and the final margin was just. even in the last when the game was al over the eagles defence refused to relax and let us get some cheap goals, a total team effort.

Was glad Hosie had just one kick for the match. The way he struts around every time he gets a goal, or throws his head back or arms in the air wanting a free kick every time he goes near the ball is embarrassing!

Reynolds was soft and useless, McBean given bath by a rookie, whereas Eagles key forwards kicked ten between them!
I guess we can’t all have Coke heads and people facing sexual assault charges in our forward lines. Maybe all the other teams should try harder to recruit questionable characters.
by cennals05
Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2023 season

I know im talking a much smaller scale but many on here including myself have said for years now that the SANFL should try a 'round 1' quadruple header at AO to start the season and generate buzz for the comp.

This kind of 'event' should be on the SANFL agenda with the success of the AFL's Gather Round and demand for 'carnival of football' event.

They've missed a trick as usual.
by whufc
Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: GATHER ROUND - ROUND 5

Surely if it’s about the city as much as the footy then Glenelg oval has to be on the cards for next year.
by amber_fluid
Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SANFL need a Glenelg vs Sturt Grand Final or it could be a very low crowd.

Very little support for the Cows at the Second Semi

Those two clubs will bring a decent crowd and it could be a double in the GF if the Double Blues get up in the Ressies as well.

Hoping its Sturt. Should be no AFL in the SANFL.

With the poor crowd on Sunday it does ask the question again why not home finals in the first two weeks.
90% of the Sturt & Central District supporters left after their match. Very empty stadium for the next game.

Look at WA decent crowds for their finals and played at home grounds.

Imagine the Bay, Elizabeth, Unley packed for home finals would give it more of a finals atmosphere.

Why do you think the ADFL have home finals. Great crowd's fantastic atmosphere.
5600 combined at the WAFL QF & EFs over 8000 at the SANFL double header

Under 7250 combined at the WAFL SF1 and SF2, over 10000 at Adelaide oval last weekend

Plus the player who make finals love the reward of playing at Adel Oval

It’s one of the attractions of playing SANFL footy compared to community footy
by am Bays
Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Agree - try it for one year for the 1st week and see, although I would make it a neutral venue, give it to one of the clubs that doesn't make the finals. eg this year a double header at Woodville, Richmond, Prospect or the Parade would be huge IMO.
Surely the teams that make the finals deserve the gate takings.
EXACTLY!!

How about we just leave it as it is, looking forward to getting to Adelaide oval this Sunday even though my team isn’t playing

So good going to Adelaide oval and watching good footy without the Victorian bullshit
by am Bays
Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2023 Grand Final, Glenelg v Sturt

Was expecting a bigger crowd but the atmosphere was ok. It was a scrappy game, we didn’t really give them a sniff of winning all game which hurts the atmosphere a bit. I think since covid GF crowds have been down, what was last years? Might not see 40k again now.

Felt like the contest was over very early, your midfield had every answer and the pressure up at the ball carrier had them rattled. Your defence wouldn't have been too tired at half time.
by Booney
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Was expecting a bigger crowd but the atmosphere was ok. It was a scrappy game, we didn’t really give them a sniff of winning all game which hurts the atmosphere a bit. I think since covid GF crowds have been down, what was last years? Might not see 40k again now.
I was wondering the same thing about the crowds as to whether they just haven't come back since COVID.
Last year's crowd was 27,459 but remember it was shocking weather which must have kept a lot of people away. Today was the first real test as to whether crowds have come back after Covid.
North vs Norwood in 2018 was 40,355, Glenelg vs Port in 2019 was 39,105, Sturt vs Port in 2017 was 39,813 and Port vs Norwood in 2014, 38,444.
I was expecting 40,000 today. Would have the warm weather kept some people away?
Even though the winning margin was 24 points, as a neutral I never thought Sturt were a threat. It felt like an 8 goal game and that would certainly have impacted the atmosphere.
by robranisgod
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I was wondering the same thing about the crowds whether just haven't come back since COVID.
Last year's crowd was 27,459 but remember it was shocking weather which must have kept a lot of people away. Today was the first real test as to whether crowds have come back after Covid.
North vs Norwood in 2018 was 40,355, Glenelg vs Port in 2019 was 39,105, Sturt vs Port in 2017 was 39,813 and Port vs Norwood in 2014, 38,444.
I was expecting 40,000 today. Would have the warm weather kept some people away?
Even though the winning margin was 24 points, as a neutral I never thought Sturt were a threat. It felt like an 8 goal game and that would certainly impacted the atmosphere.

Cost of living is a major factor. As a neutral I wouldn’t be going, 8 beers and an entry ticket and I'm $130 in the hole. That's a tank of fuel.
by Vamos
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This threads going off

Not the best game, win ugly queue in the rack after quarter time really

Did what we had to do

I’ll take it after ******* up 14 other flags!!
by am Bays
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Port, always front of mind :lol: :oops:

That, or, port Nuffies trolling a game about crowd, atmosphere all week when they’re not involved.

Just remember, you get what you deserve.

Happily stand corrected if anyone else tuning in thought the atmosphere was amazing.

As for the crowd, it was disappointing. They hoped for 40,000 and fell short.

As if Port fans know anything about modern Grand final crowds.

They Haven't won a flag in 20 years.
by UK Fan
Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |