Search found 394 matches

Return

Re: 2020 Player movement

At the moment it is only early November and it seems clubs are really active with early recruits this year.
To me more so than other years.
It would appear the smart recruiters will steal a march on the slow.
It shows how important the spending of restricted salary caps.
by VALE PARK
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

MJP1993 wrote:
blueandwhite wrote:Douglas maybe headed to the Western side of town......

Bloods ?

Haha don’t be daft ;)
by Brodlach
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2020 faviourites

Rucks are in short supply and high demand.
by DOC
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Where is that from ?
Email sent to Glenelg members today.
One last parting dig from Glenn Elliott before he retires ;)

Why didn't he call on the other 7 clubs to bring the passion and atmosphere?

I've been to Westies and South games (not involving Port) where the cracking of a can resonated around the oval.

Booney, you need to stop cracking your cans against West and South supporters' heads ;)
by bulldogproud
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Anyone is throwing in there membership about this is really targeting the wrong people. Fairly sure South didn't put there hand up and say yeah here have a ruckman on us.

The fact that South voted no means nothing. It's like Roy Laird yelling at clouds. The AFL treat all other leagues how they like and if the reserve teams were here or not would have made no difference.
by stan
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2020 Season

AFL have announced no AFL listed player will play State League footy this year so that would officially end any thoughts of Crows/Port in SANFL.

Heartbreaking. Yeah I know, I have said that for a while now and kept on saying it.

Enjoy the celebrations.

By the way yes I did actually know this would flop about AFL listed players and state league players, no it's not a football source but a health source. The Advice to the AFL on this matter was basically the most obvious thing you could imagine.

Basically state league players have jobs right, they aren't isolated right, generally won't be living in a bubble the AFL boys.....yep it was clear that the thing that defined these AFL sides will be the thing that keeps them out of the SANFL this season.
by stan
Tue May 12, 2020 2:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

with no player payments and no crowds, dont bother with 2020, stupid imho
by stampy
Tue May 12, 2020 2:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 2 Sturt v Eagles

The Eagles are going to be knackered after this weekend. According to Peter Walsh (on at least 3 occasions I heard) on the digital pass they are playing Westies this arvo. Does he volunteer or get paid for that quality calling?
by Grenville
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 5 Glenelg v Eagles 1405 Saturday

Thought Glenelg started the game well, the Eagles going the length of the ground to kick a goal against the run of play and then breaking the game open a little bit. Again in the 2nd it was a bit of an arm wrestle until the Eagles broke the game open in the last part of the quarter. The game had some similarities to the infamous 19 man Prelim Final. Eagles got out to a 45 point lead halfway through the 3rd before Glenelg started to get on top.

A brilliant chase down by Mansell preventing a certain goal to Glenelg just before 3 qtr time was crucial. There were enough desperate moments like that, a Hall mark back with the flight another example, to suggest this Eagles side has a bit more ticker, to suppress what was a storming comeback by Glenelg. Led by Bradley, Glenelg closed the margin to 15 points 10 minutes into the last term, before Rowe and Carcuro sealed the win with back to back goals.

I thought the Eagles played a pretty good team game - “all played well”. Foote very good again. Pudney was clean in his first game, a late in for Goldsworthy I presume, who’d prefer to play his 200th at home? Jones, Seymour and Giuffreda did well in Thompson’s absence. Jones taking on Glenelg’s main/only avenue to goal, the giant McBean and doing a fair job, even though McBean ended up with 5. Much of the play went in his direction.

The Eagles good start continues, albeit with a bit of a reality check in that last quarter.
by Aerie
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 7 WWT v West Adelaide Saturday 1335

West tried hard today but with their 'damage limitation' style of football and lack of depth, the Eags were too classy. Mc Neil played his best game for the club today and Lachlan Jones showed why he will be a one season player for us with a commanding display down back. New recruit James Tsitas looked like he will fit in well and has a footy brain.
by wedgetail
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 8 South Adelaide v WWT Saturday 1405

Redden is out injured and Thompson and Lornegan are having a run in the reserves
by arcadefire
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SA seem to have had most of the possession so happy with the win. Paul Hunter BOG with 24 disposals and surely 3 Magarey votes. Our Hayes boys held very quiet . James Tsitas showing a bit of quality and grunt for the Eagles.
by goddy11
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tsitas is a great get and presumably will only get better.

Rowe very good. Used more in the midfield, although still kicked 4 goals. Perhaps a precursor to how he’ll be used with the addition of Lowson to the side. He has all the tools to be a gun midfielder. Foote again played well and Hall ran all day. The defence again held water tight, under plenty of pressure.

South won just about all the stats except tackles. Eagles better skills for the most part.

Eagles have now beaten all teams and on paper at least, will only get stronger. The captain and vice captain returning from injury to play Reserves today and VFL star Lowson spending his last weekend in quarantine. Redden and Poole also to fit back in.
by Aerie
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thought the Eagles showed a lot of maturity in the last quarter to hold SA off. Seymour and Wehr are very effective down back and their kicks rarely miss a target. Redden will have to be managed very carefully for the rest of the year as West really isn't an option!
by wedgetail
Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SANFL salary cap to be reduced to $250k next season

Reserves to stay but to play for zero.

It was $380k in 2019 wasn't it?

Personally i think they should've scrapped the Reserves, have smaller senior list sizes (30-32 players max), have up to five or six players play in the u/18s and the rest go back to local footy if they're available and not selected in either but i guess playing for nothing is another option. Hopefully we can keep as much talent as we can but that is a big drop in pay for the senior list.

$380k for seven of the ten clubs; over a million for two of the clubs, and whatever they could fit into brown paper bags for the other club ;)

2005 Norwood were on the bones of their ass and coming off a wooden spoon whilst you guys were flush and in the midst of the competitions greatest ever winning spree. Don’t recall much complaining back in that decade so maybe suck it up Mary
by JK
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rd 9 Eagles v Sturt at Maughn Thiem at 2:10 pm

Davis has been in a good paddock (or bakery!). sturt won't win too many games with the negative style they played today. Lacked targets up forward as well.
J Hayes will not be playing next week (shoulder, hopefully not too serious) but will have back Redden, Poole and hopefully Goldy.
Another even team performance and well done to Zane Williams on debut today - our tenth debutant for the club this year. Well done Sheedy on promoting youth and refreshing the team.
by wedgetail
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A special thanks to DOC for posting the SANFL teams in and outs on all the individual game threads
Keep up the good work panther
by mal
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just my thoughts but could they not make out to show some respect and do this at seasons end.

A defender who was playing second division in the Adelaide Footy League last year is the shock selection in the South Australian AFL Draft Combine to be held at the end of the month.

West Adelaide 23-year-old Mitch Duval is one of 20 SANFL men picked to test themselves physically and mentally in front of AFL recruiters as the annual combine goes completely State-based for the first time because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Tough backman Duval, 188cm, joined the Bloods from the Unley Mercedes Jets at the end of last season and has shone across half-back, averaging 13 disposals and five marks while blanketing some of the competition’s most dangerous forwards.

“Mitch is a fantastic story,’’ West coach Gavin Colville said.

“He didn’t play a lot of junior football and then at 17 or 18 he decided to put a bit into it before having a knee reconstruction which set him back. He then had a fantastic year for Unley last year.

“We heard about him through one of our past players., Daniel Caire, who played with him last season and he suggested he could play league football, so we invited him to pre-season training.

“He’s been a fantastic addition to our club and while he was a bit raw at the start, once he found his feet his assets really came to the fore, his marking, intercept marking and rebounding.’’

The AFL will host combines in each State and Territory for a total of 96 male and 82 female players.

The SA camps will be held on Wednesday, September 30.

Duval has been joined in the elite squad by fellow mature-age SANFL recruit Tom Highmore from South Adelaide.

The 22-year-old rebounding defender from Canberra starred in the opening six rounds before suffering a knee injury against Norwood.

The 18 teenagers are headlined by potential No. 1 pick Riley Thilthorpe from West.

Crows father-son prospect Luke Edwards and Next Generation Academy candidates James Borlase (Sturt) and Tariek Newchurch (North Adelaide) also have been invited to the combine, along with Port Adelaide NGA hope Lachlan Jones (Eagles) and Power father-son prospect Taj Schofield.

2020 SANFL AFL DRAFT COMBINE
Boys squad: Corey Durdin (Central District), Kaine Baldwin. Luke Edwards, Luke Pedlar, Xavier Robbins (Glenelg), Tariek Newchurch (North Adelaide), Brayden Cook, Zac Dumesny, Tom Highmore, Phoenix Spicer (South Adelaide), James Borlase, Malachy Carruthers, Tom Powell (Sturt), Mitchell Duval, Jye Sinderberry, Riley Thilthorpe (West Adelaide), Lachlan Jones, Caleb Poulter, Taj Schofield, Henry Smith (Woodville-West Torrens).
by DOC
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glenelg breach Covid

Interesting that the last club to get their COVID plan up to scratch is also the first one fined.
by Brucetiki
Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 13 West v Eagles Friday 1920

Some saying it was a danger game for the Eagles what rubbish they have been and still are the best team in the comp by a long way and showed it last night .The flag is theirs to lose
by southernbulldog
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 Player movements

Both Crows & Power broke their contract with the SANFL this year. The comp has not been any worse without them (apart from clubs missing out on the money from the Crows). Perfect time to get rid of them.
by Mic
Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lets hope the AFL do slash lists making AFL clubs in the SANFL an impossible exercise.
This years comp has been such a huge breath of fresh air compared to other comps, only comp that was less compromised instead of more compromised.
Most enjoyable SANFL in possibly decades and easily the most interested I and others I know have been in it in many years.
Its been great seeing so many regular faces almost every week at games instead of every month or two.
by Wedgie
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R14 Centrals v Eagles Saturday 1410

Central's persistence gave them a deserved win. Clean ball handling has been a feature of the Eagles this year, it wasn't there yesterday. Expect up to 5 changes next week. We really missed Mansell's rebound from defence yesterday. Hall looks cooked for at least 2 games, Pudney showing he could be an adequate replacement though on the wing.

Hayes in for West
Jones in for Jungfer
Mansell in for Westbrook
Firns or Lee in for Hall (inj)

Goldsworthy and Lonergan would perhaps want to prove fitness in Reserves?

I think Pudney has grabbed his spot for the first final - played well and made the most of his opportunities.

I thought the absence of Jones yesterday proved how important he is to the team as well. Perhaps as important as Jack Hayes and Redden, given he can take a tall, as well as intercept, as well as provide run and penetrate with his kicking from the back lines.

If Goldsworthy is deemed fit I'd play him. Not so for Lonergan - not sure he has finished a match all year. I've thought Firns has been the unlucky one all year. Each time he has played he's shown something. Also by having him in the team it frees up Sinor to play a more attacking role over the clamp down role he often plays in the absence of Firns.
by Mr Fuller
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

My info Eagles have dropped three from last weeks side .
Lonergan is an in he should improve the midfield
Tsitas must start on the ground this week.
And Eagles must play their fast run game it’s time Eagles now it’s do or die .

Staggered that they would roll the dice on Lonergan. Yes he is a very good player but has he finished a match for us this season?

I didn't even notice that Tsitas as on the bench commencing the match last week. A puzzling decision.

Great to see Sheedy not accepting that mediocre performance last week. I will be very happy if it is Poole, Pudney and Commitogianni. Bring in Jungfer - he is young enthusiastic, has great attack on the ball and can play multiple positions. If he does come in this free up Jones for us to use him in a more attacking role.

Really hoping Mansell overcomes the concussion and is playing. I don't think we have someone who can play that small defender role which makes him so vital.
by Mr Fuller
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pre-sale Grand Final ticket problems.

Anyone else experiencing problems with buying pre-sale grand final tickets from Ticketek? So far, it won't let you but them, and it says the barcode password emailed to me by my club is not valid.

My youngest did it for me she had issues but we got our three tickets
Lucky you - I'm still frozen out, as is a mate of mine. :roll:

What issues did you have at your end,MJP?
by Magellan
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pre-sale Grand Final ticket problems.

What's the prerequisite to get access to pre-sale? I'm an Eagles member but not a season ticket holder. There doesn't happen to be a generic password someone can share to access this?
I don't think so, Aerie. I'm a North club member with a barcoded season membership ticket, and (supposedly) the barcode number is my password.
by Magellan
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2020 SANFL Grand Final North v Eagles

Well done Eagles, well deserved.
by saintal
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Congrats to the Eagles, best team all year.
by Dutchy
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We had a great day, plenty of friendly banter with North supporters. We did have 1 North supporter abuse 2 70+ Eagles supporters during the reserves game. But that calmed down. Eagles played the best 18mins of the year and it won the cup. Rest of the game was even. bad luck to North. well done the Eags
by schimma
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I was also near the original scoreboard at Woodville on Father's Day. Disgraceful behaviour from a group of North Adelaide people that are old enough to know better. They are brand damaging to not only their own club but the SANFL as a whole. It's about time Greg Edwards grew some and addressed this group once and for all.
by Eagles Nest
Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

goddy11 wrote:Rucci saying he expects Godden back at the AFC as a coach in their SANFL side.

Will the 2 AFL side be admitted back . If yes at what cost.

https://www.sen.com.au/programs/sen-sa-breakfast/

F**K Rucci!! :twisted: :evil:
by Groucho
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: EAGLES 2020 PREMIERS

Oh the memories
by goddy11
Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"They seem to have a strange outlook on footy and are a interesting supporter base . Not many of them and it seems a lot have no idea. I think its an old Torrens thing myself "

Please leave old Torrens supporters alone. We have suffered greatly over the years.
by whybother
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Eagles sign another player - Mitch Hardie, 24yrs old 185cm forward from the Canberra Demons. Two time NEAFL team of the year.
by Mr Fuller
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Footy fans come in all shapes and sizes, mentally - from the tragics, the quiet sufferers, the excitable and those who are occasionally OTT if not deranged - sometimes we are all of these at once.

To attribute particular characteristics to the supporters of particular clubs is a bit hazardous, however, it's fair to say that South supporters display remarkable strength, loyalty and eternal hopefulness - and the Southies I know, love the game - as do all of us - especially the SANFL and its authenticity.

Overall, we all have good supporters and shockers, and we love the former and try to ignore the latter - not easy! Most SANFL supporters are always up for a chat, depending on the stage of a game, but, being Bidenesque, there might be, in sober moments, more that unites us than what divides us.

While this is an excellent forum, it is a small sample, and most of the posters play the ball, only way to go, may the SANFL run forever, Merry Christmas!!
by Brendan M
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Footy fans come in all shapes and sizes, mentally - from the tragics, the quiet sufferers, the excitable and those who are occasionally OTT if not deranged - sometimes we are all of these at once.

To attribute particular characteristics to the supporters of particular clubs is a bit hazardous, however, it's fair to say that South supporters display remarkable strength, loyalty and eternal hopefulness - and the Southies I know, love the game - as do all of us - especially the SANFL and its authenticity.

Overall, we all have good supporters and shockers, and we love the former and try to ignore the latter - not easy! Most SANFL supporters are always up for a chat, depending on the stage of a game, but, being Bidenesque, there might be, in sober moments, more that unites us than what divides us.

While this is an excellent forum, it is a small sample, and most of the posters play the ball, only way to go, may the SANFL run forever, Merry Christmas!!

Great post Brendan.

I can talk footy all day with anyone who loves their club. SANFL supporters I guess who love their club, respect other clubs and players and can also see where their own club has faults. No opponents means no competition. It's only unfounded "abuse" that's the problem. I for one have been guilty of that.

I hope to be a gracious winner of a premiership very soon. Just like the last 56 years.

Enjoy the premiership,
by DOC
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2021 SEASON

Who needs who more ? TV Ratings were very good last year without the franchises.

Apart from TV exposure of the competition , who needs who more ?
by Brett
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

See, barely a week after their club is announced as back in the competition, already the Port supporters are causing mayhem and discord.... ;)
by am Bays
Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

And whilst we are at it, make sure Cicca is re-appointed as runner, absolute respect from the players and Sheedy .
Instrumental in our premiership this year.
by wedgetail
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I am sure you will find Sutcliffe remains at power reserves and Knight will land at north.
by Jackal1
Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They are trying to get a change to conditions to get Tim Broomhead and Sam Gray in too

Reports I’ve seen Chris Davies is saying they want the magpies to win the flag and the SANFL is putting to many restrictions on them and may go to another league if the restrictions aren’t changed . Surely Port can’t go to that extended VFL on the east coast cost them to much money Laters

Hope the SANFL calls their bluff.
The two AFL sides must never be allowed to win the flag, if they don’t like it hit the road
by Jim05
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Big internal issues at doggie land that the club are trying to hide/bury/stop from coming out.

All starting from the way the club handled the Jeff Andrews saga. If the Menzel boys wanted to go to another club for money they wouldn’t be playing in the sanfl. I think you’ll find there is a lot more to this that the club is not letting on.
by arvoteapig
Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Out for the Eags - Foote, N Hayes, Lowson, Jones (all premiership players and in best 22) plus possibly Wehr, Rowe as premiership players as well.
Poulter and Schofield a fair chance to play league this year given Sheedy's penchant for playing juniors may also get picked up hence the need to recruit aggressively which we have.
As a previous poster mentioned, with all this publicity about recruits, the SANFL would be all over this so unlikely to be under hand dealings.
Success and a great environment and culture obviously a big appeal.
by wedgetail
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

southernbulldog wrote:Sslary Cap ???????????????? non existent

Just like the Dogs in the decade they won all their premierships.
Something about a pot and a black kettle.
by ferret
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just remember the salary cap has gone up next year by 210k. It was zero this year.

Personally I think the Eagles are just recruiting in a smart fashion and have beome a club people desire to play at so are willing to make sacrifices knowing they'll have a red hot go at the flag. Their mix of young blood and well targetted recruits this year was top notch.
by Wedgie
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Draftees

Do I imagine it but I thought at one stage the clubs from whom players were drafted received some sort of payment and then a bit more if and when the drafted player debut in the AFL and then even another payment when they played 50 games. What happen to that system if it did exist

Know there was a system where money went back to the original junior club, think you had to have played so many games from U14 up to get that money, one drafted there was a payment, 1st AFL game some other payment and not sure after that.

Dont know if it is still in vogue or not, dont think Broadies got anything for Rozee and Woodcock when they were drafted, dont know if North did or not
North got nothing for having 5 players drafted in 2018 other than an 1/8th share of the SANFL dividend, the same as all other clubs.
This year North with 1 rookie draft will get the same as the Eagles with 7 drafted.
It is wrong. The Eagles got 7 drafted, they should be rewarded.
by robranisgod
Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The power were highly critical of the EAGLES for promoting Lachy so much before the draft because they didn't want him to go high so they would lose more points. Hypocrites!!!!!!

I was not the only one disappointed that another AFL club did not call Jones earlier (like #10), forcing the Power to match.
by spell_check
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Money use to go the club $50k from memory part of that to his local club
Now money goes into pool and evenly distributed to all 8 clubs.

No incentive, just leads to slackness and laziness.
The AFL is smart. They know SANFL clubs just want to improve and development is the cheapest and most efficient way of doing it. Clubs are forced to develop. We need the blame the SANFL and John Olsen for letting the AFL get away with it.
I can slightly understand juniors but overage player should get the club a transfer fee.

"goddy11" very good point about mature draftees. Our club should bring it up with the SANFL.

Refer Friday's Advertiser. The shite article written by simeon thomas-wilson "Bobby takes the credit" , about who at the power discovered our Lachy Jones. Never read so match crap. Heard they do very,very little development of their northern YP zone. NOT ONE mention of the Eagles in his development in this article. The power love to big note themselves and don't care about anyone else. The power were highly critical of the EAGLES for promoting Lachy so much before the draft because they didn't want him to go high so they would lose more points. Hypocrites!!!!!!
by ferret
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Money use to go the club $50k from memory part of that to his local club
Now money goes into pool and evenly distributed to all 8 clubs.

No incentive, just leads to slackness and laziness.
The AFL is smart. They know SANFL clubs just want to improve and development is the cheapest and most efficient way of doing it. Clubs are forced to develop. We need the blame the SANFL and John Olsen for letting the AFL get away with it.
I can slightly understand juniors but overage player should get the club a transfer fee.
by goddy11
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Have the Eagles got a 2021 season Motto. Pinching it from the Bullies of old a bit, "2021..Beak to Beak". :D
by goddy11
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |