Search found 112 matches

Return

Re: Adelaide Plains Football League

This year is the first year we have seen the rule backfire on the association, and i think it will happen more and more in future unless something is changed. I think the league should look at age classes. For instance, association should be compulsory for players under a certain age, e.g. 28 years old (???). Then I think it should be up to clubs to nominate those players outside of this age class, e.g. those >28 years old (??), that are keen to play and hence put their name up for selection. This would ensure that the team is filled mostly of young players that still have a chance of playing at a higher level, but also enables those older players to be involved but doesn't penalise those older players that would prefer a week off. Lets be honest those good enough at 28 years old have probably already represented the league in previous years anyway.
Can definately agree with the age class, I think that's only fair.

Up for discussion tonight - someone must be reading this stuff. Onya SA Footy :D
by Lame Choice
Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

You'd be the first bloke in history to rate pulling out.
by Zelezny Chucks
Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

I hate this new safooty layout!!
by Phantom Gossiper
Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BL&G Football League

That's an interesting proposition...

A dream of yours?

No not really, while we have this F$%@ up points system they are the only club that can keep us off the bottom.

Most at Freeling would oppose it and i suspect the APFL may also oppose it fearing Freeling would be too strong.

IMO Kapunda would be more likely to seek another league. When it gets a bit hard they are more likely to look for easier options

I don't think there would be many in that boat in the APFL. The BL&G is nowhere near the standard it was 10 years ago and the APFL is improving . I'm not for second suggesting the APFL is of the same standard as the BL&G, however, I'm sure Freeling wouldn't have been bottom in the APFL last year like they were in the BL&G, but I certainly don't feel that would have featured in the two 2 or 3.

Yep you got that right. The APFL is coming from a long way back though.
The fear would be more what the ceiling is as far as spending goes. I think the BL&G clubs spend alot more and Freeling has the finances to be one of the highest spending clubs. This coupled together with the fast growing town would have the APFL very wary.
Freeling just need to stick it out a bit and they will be fine in the BL&G.
As i said Kapunda are more likely to investigate other opportunities.
by daysofourlives
Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Froffies wins. Not sure how any APFL poster could compete with any of that.

I bet that Froffies has at least 1 more "most constructive player award" than any other poster on here!
by Mythical Creature
Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sheffield Shield SA v WA - Nov 13-16

Brodlach wrote:His pitching has improved so much

Edited for accuracy :D
by the wonder elephant
Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

OnSong wrote:Is Liam Whitwell coaching the Mallala SCs next year?

I believe so
by stork
Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Most blokes would train once a week and also do some individual training as in a run or weights.
by westy
Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ashes First Test Live Discussion

Dont think Trott would really care what the Australian public think of him
by Brodlach
Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: FISHING

I'll get a copy of the petition and post in here. I'm not sure of exact numbers....will advise.
by Booney
Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yorke Peninsula League

ricki keen from cougers, will be having a delayed pre season as he has done some serious damage to one of his hand. im led to believe it may be from chronic masterbation. it will be a long slow recovery as he still has no feeling in his hand
Poor bastard.

The 3 worst injuries in football are
1. broken ass wiping hand
2. broken masturbation hand (which is usually the same hand as #1 & yes I'm jealous of those who are ambidextrous)
3. nose picking finger
by cracka
Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

the joker wrote:
GIDDY UP! wrote:
the joker wrote:How many goals do people think that Jamie Solly could kick next year

Who is she?
she is probably the best player in the Adelaide plains competition

Goal shooter or Goal attack?
by GIDDY UP!
Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How many goals do people think that Jamie Solly could kick next year
Who?

I googled him and this came up. This is his highlight reel Ace.

http://afldraftinfo.blogspot.com.au/2009/09/jamie-solly-port-adelaide-magpiessa.html

I have heard he is pretty handy tho.
Where's the highlights in that reel?

You gotta be good to make that team but whoever was in charge of his draft prospects should be sacked!
by OnSong
Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I wasn't implying that either.

I was just saying (for those who've never witnessed Jimboss play) that he's an asset to any given side, despite what that video highlights feel suggests.

You'd hope that was the case, given he's an import. Who are the other three players heading out with him?

I'm not sure who the other 3 are (if I have been told, I've clearly forgotten), but I think there's one A Grader, and I think one, if not two, of the other two are fringe A Graders. Don't quote me on that though, I've been known to cock my information up.

If Solly kicked approximately 60 goals in Div 1 last season, what would that be worth in the APFL? Having never seen a game in this league, I'm unsure of the standard.

^?? I guess it depends on the foreign exchange rate between the SAAFLG / APFLG?
by The reigning Ben.C
Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Was a pro basketballer but was rookie listed by the Crows in a similar vein to Kurt Tippett.
by OnSong
Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I am white. On the bottom of my feet and the palms of my hands.

There are many of footballers in the YP that train with other clubs. I would say every club has.
by westy
Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

When the points system first came in 4 or so years ago, the original proposal by the board had a formula that also included losing points if your Senior colts had won a certain % of games the season prior. However this was unanimously voted out by the clubs and has never been apart of our points system.
by Mythical Creature
Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Roo, you forgot to mention Haseldine and Armstrong who along with greenwood left after 1 year.
The 3 mentioned were injured for parts of the year also which doesn't help.
The club has recruited the wrong people for a long time who have left after 1 year but most of Reds recruits have stuck around and even made team of the years, association teams, a mail medal winner and most importantly got the club off the bottom and playing finals.
It's unfortunate the club has gone back to its old ways and recruited 1 year wonders again because it really hurts a club in this day and age with the points system. I hope Stribling and Dowdell don't become another one of Hamleys 1 year recruits.

On hummocks.
I use to wish bad things on Joel Wilson and hummocks when they were so dominant in the early 2000's.
But really do feel sad to see a side who dominated for almost a decade struggling this badly.
We've had our lean trot and plenty of big losses and haven't seen any on field success for 10 years so know how hard it is to attract players to a struggling club for longer then a year.
Fingers crossed for the comp and for hummocks that they can recruit a good bunch of players to get them off the bottom of the ladder.
by BOMBERS
Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Five points on Saturday at Ma-lala:
1. The first quarter was all Mallala and they missed easy chances to score heavily then. Scooter was missing big time.
2. Fiest still has it in spades for this comp.
3. Birchmore will win a mail medal in two-three years - can't believe he wasn't in the best.
4. There were more people at the ground for the junior colts than A grade.
5. First time I've ever seen TW have to hand out jumpers in Senior Colts, although I thought they played ok - should have let the game continue as is.

Also - I think PM#27 might have a spell for the next two games :?
by Lame Choice
Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

oh - and the informer was fabo :D
by Lame Choice
Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Word on the street onsong is d. Wise to head back to two wells, one things for certain for any side with outs that can hold it's own against Mallala, who has been the bench mark or this competition as far as I can remember, is a plus.
I know Mallala had their own outs, however mallalas depth over the past 5 years has always been good.
No team that gets the points at the end of the day is going to complain about the win no matter who the opposition had missing.
Again who is complaining?????????????????????????
Are you a spud.?? I said no team at the end of the day is going to complain, that isn't a reference to anyone in particular complaining.
Was simply saying two wells would be happy with the result regardless of any ins and outs as long as they got the points..... Geee wizz
by Kcco
Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow Westy. Hit a nerve there. Typical small minded attitude from a bully boy club. Kadina have a massive advantage of having a population, juniors, and a point system that isnt structured to allow weaker clubs to improve. Div 5 players are 2 points. U dont have to be a brain surgeon to work out that the clubs like Ardrossan , Bute , Cougars will go to div 5 clubs to draw players to get as many players as possible to keep their clubs going. Kadina should be on 5 pts as should the Crows. Bet Craig Taylor is getting more than anything Ardrossan or Bute are paying for recruits this year!
Still laughing at the fact you think winning 3 games is a success. One could pull good things at of a season but to call it a success. You must set your goals high
I would guess that Taylor, would be getting paid 1000 bucks a game. Just a little bit less then some of the Bute boys.
If some of these other clubs are spending as much as Kadina I would be very suprised.Which players at Ardrossan , Bute and Cougars would be getting $1000 a game? None I would think. If Craig Tayloris on over $1000 I dont think Lee, Faulkner and Serle would be far behind that either.Just with those 4 you would be spending more than the other 3 clubs I mentioned. I dont have a problem with it as I think it would be good to see someone else win the flag other than the Crows. I just dont like seeing the big distance between the top clubs and the bottom ones.
Craig Taylor's payments have been slashed by the club as he is fined per photo of his child he posts on Facebook. Now owes the club money after a prolific few months.
Pretty sure he is sponsored by Baby Bunting.
by OnSong
Thu May 01, 2014 2:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

FroffiesMcVeigh wrote:Nope. Do you a line graph showing percentage of time you're a s**t bloke?

No, but I do have a 100% success rate of getting rid of little mouthy dweebs that have no balls. Goodbye once again.
by Lightning McQueen
Wed May 21, 2014 9:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

TW 40+ could they be the first team to break the 40 goal barrier since the Roseworthy days?
HB 1-39
Vag 1-39

My first A grade game in 1997 (I think....!) was against Roseworthy College, we won by 47 goals and our full forward Andrew Miller kicked 16 and did a hammy late in the 3rd quarter. Go the panthers... :D

Geez you are old! Must have old man hammy's! ;)
by Mythical Creature
Fri May 23, 2014 2:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How did Thach get a game before Galbraith?

He can take my spot, I won't be playing in this rubbish tournament again.
The quicker the league accept that this format is s**t, the better off it'll be.
Players sacrifice their Saturday on a long weekend to play 2x40 minute games.
We play our first game, then do nothing but wait around and let our body seize up, then play our final game 2 hours later.
Spoke with an U23 player and he said he too enjoyed driving 2 hours to sit on a 5 man bench and play 25% game time (which in this tournament equates to playing 10 minutes per game and 20 minutes for the day).
Why don't the APFL do what most other leagues do and play a full 4 quarter game against another league?
by THACHY_7
Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Because its on here do we assume OS that its a HWE player???

All the best whoever it is anyway.
Yeah, young HWE player.
I haven't got rock solid confirmation on the ID of the kid involved but from what I can gather, he's got a knock to the head in a run-of-the-mill training drill and it's turned into a serious situation.

Yeah I heard the chopper fly in last night, after hearing sirens earlier. Always know its serious when the chopper is involved.
Would have been quite scary no doubt. :(

Footy hit him in the chest from a metre away, got air lifted to adelaide and is in a induced coma.. Sending well wishes to buzz Taylor and his family! He is a good young talent hopefully he is okay!!!
by Snags
Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Surprised to see Anthony Johnston has retired.

Congrats Johno on a great career. Damaging player for an extended period and all the best for the future.

Still don't know how to spell your last name. :oops: ;)
by OnSong
Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Surprised to see Anthony Johnston has retired.

Congrats Johno on a great career. Damaging player for an extended period and all the best for the future.

Still don't know how to spell your last name. :oops: ;)

Johno passes on thanks onsong, He saids his body stuffed and cant make it to trainings.Goin to spend his weekends gardening :D
by AKA
Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Mallala strong winners over Virginia in all grades, just one matter>why did the rams have a 12yr old kid boundary umpire on his own both A/Reserve grades, they must have older people somewhere able of doing it.

Isn't there a league rule that for A grade the boundary umps are supposed to be over a certain age to stop young kids doing it?

The whole boundary umpiring thing is a joke most weeks. You see people doing it bare-footed carrying a can of coke or kicking the ball with their mates near the boundary miles away from the play.
by Lightning McQueen
Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This season has got interesting, which is good to see, Hamley once clear on top now clinging with finger nails, look at it this way, Virginia/Balaklava/two wells/hamley can get max 8 points>Mallala 10 points from there games remaining, now this is impossible due to having to play each other at some stage, Although one side could do it, what will it take to finish where you want?, will the draw Mallala had be there undoing? Only the next 5 weeks will tell.

Would there have ever been a situation in a 7 team comp where teams 1 to 5 have been separated by 1 win so late in a season? Scary close atm
I don't think there would be many competitions in this situation, no.

There will be a few mini-finals over the next few weeks, but with percentage the way it is, Balaklava look to be the most vulnerable.

You would think the Peckers have to beat at a minimum three teams out of United (H), Virginia (A), HWE (A) and Mallala (H).

Really like the billing of this weekend's HB v TW encounter. The Roosters getting some back, the Bombers desperate to recapture the form that helped them take control of the competition for half the season. Mallala could possibly go top after being sixth after round 5.

The top 5 have now all played each other twice with the following results:
Mallala 5-3
Hamley 4-4
Virginia 4-4
Balaklava 4-4
Two Wells 3-5

but looking at the most recent results against each other gives an interesting indication of form:
Mallala 4-0
Balaklava 3-1
Virginia 2-2
Hamley 1-3
Two Wells 0-4

Two Wells last win against a top 5 side was 17th May against Balak and last win against a top 4 side was April 12th against Hamley.

United 1-39
Mallala 40+
Hamley 1-39
by Bob Loblaw
Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Swamp Donkey wrote:I hear Newton (Westpac) Lyons is retiring at seasons end....... interesting to see the ramifications of this in 2015

*Lines :lol:
by OnSong
Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Are the association finally doing this to recognise its players????

It's actually a feather in the cap for players who have worked their butt off each year.
Just about every other league would be doing this.
If they want players to be proud of playing for the comp, then give them a TOTY jumper or something as recognition and maybe they will feel loved by the league.

Like All Australian for AFL players, its not the be-all but its certainly something nice to reflect back on after you have finished.

Just something a little professional that the league could do to improve IMHO.
by RooShootOhh
Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Birchmore a lock for the starting 18 IMO. Best players aren't always the best guide IMO. Blokes like James Wildbore hardly ever get in the top 6 but rarely lose their position. Slok has also only cracked the BPs twice. Hard one to pick without internal knowledge I guess. I try to compile one for the paper each year. Here's last year's (attached). I might get the Informer statistician to put one together this season. Which by the way, no one is reading despite making several changes this year. Don't know what to do about that. Anyway....
by OnSong
Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

On the budget, what improvements would you make? Feedback will help guide next year's. Made several big changes this year and will continue trying to improve it, or abandon it all together.

Pretty sure you'll never please everyone. The team lists are in there, not sure what else people expect to be in it. Buy the producer or bunyip at the local shop before you walk into the footy if your looking for more info.
You won't find Adelaide Plains Dream Team in the Bunyip or Producer! #91points
by OnSong
Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Recruit

RustyCage wrote:Welcome to the Magpies Johann!

If you spuds did your homework properly he would have been your player in the first place :roll: ;)
by heater31
Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Swamp Donkey wrote:
Who is Jamie Thomas?

Former Central District hard man defender. #59 for memory in the 80's, 150 odd games.

Has great coaching credentials through Salisbury North and Kilburn in the SAAFL.

His son is Paul Thomas.
by Lightning McQueen
Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Surely not surprising? Not very often that guys on big bucks hang around for longer than a year or two..
Not going to guess how much they would have been on so as not to start a shit fight but surely clubs should realise that players that come out for the big $$ haven't come out to hang around
I'm not suggesting Stribling/Dowdell/Duncan didn't give their all or weren't worth it.. Hamley came away with a premiership, but one would wonder where they would be without the sort of money they allegedly pay players

I won't get into the whole 'sustainability or bang4buck' issue, but these three players were arguably the most influential 'imports' the APFL have seen for a while - all 3 had great seasons and performed when it mattered.
Maybe over this season but certainly not taking guys like Whitwell, Montgomerie, Niklaus etc. into account 3 mail medals, 2 runner-up's and a few hundred goals between the three of them alone.. This is without taking a lot of other people into account as well

Over a long period I agree, absolutely. But compare the impact these guys had in their first year compared to impact the 3 HB guys had in their first year. That said, if I wanted three of these at my club I'd be taking Montgomerie, Duncan/Doudell and Whitwell for reasons other than just pure football ability.
Romantic interests?
by OnSong
Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have also heard cutting to Eudunda. And received a trailer for sign on and this came from one of his mates.

He's been recruiting for Barossa......... I'm confused.
Finally trying your hand in the BLG Swamp?

Ha... I'll pass on that Roo.

I definitely think that you should give the BLG a crack Donkey! :D
by Mythical Creature
Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Good to see mallala looking after the players who put alot of time and money into the club!!!! All to get a slap in the face.

James hasn't been paid a cent since playing A grade at mallala. Knowing he is a good footballer and having a family to support any other money in the pocket is a bonus. And im sure if mallala came to the party he would still be there. Oh well their loss.

I fail to see where the slap in the face has come from if this is all about the same guy.
As I believe if u are in the top 7-8 players in any A grade country footy (which james would be at mallala) being a local or not U should be getting a small or large reward for consistency over so many years and to be told no from ur own club would make ya feel pretty shitty. Agree or disagree?
Agree to a point but a club can't be held to ransom by local players requesting cash either...
by OnSong
Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My view is that finishing bottom is acceptable if the club fosters a community environment that is inclusive to those who live there. If the family enjoys going to their sport on Saturdays, does a club really need to throw around volunteer/donor generated money for their own self indulgence?

Let's not forget senior footy is a competitive sport, it's not really acceptable to finish bottom.

It's not colts. Finishing bottom is completely unacceptable. I like the comp how it is at the moment, I can't remember the last time we had a season that finished with top 5 or 6 so close. Two wells knocked of hamley and mallala pretty comfortably early in the year then didn't end up making finals..

Fair enough, but it's not AFL either. In context, finishing last in country footy is better than folding trying to be something you ain't. The extracted statement above wasn't about trying to finish last. Given most talk on this site is about cash players, I doubt that will sink in far.
There is an age old saying that a fish rots from the head first. Over enthusiastic country football club power brokers who think $1000 a game is market value need to reassess community priorities. I guess you can't really blame the players..
by Lame Choice
Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What is the rule in this league for clearances from club to club. I was under the impression that clubs can reject the first request for a clearance, but will basically be forced to clear the player on the second attempt, i.e. standard SANFL procedure as I understand it. This is obviously different to the Barossa league, whereby a club can refuse to clear to another club within same league (within 3 years of leaving original club???) ?

Anyone actually know?
Yeah, unless there's financial grounds, ie: player owing club money, then the clearance can't be refused.

Well, it can but ultimately the CFB grants it eventually. I think on the third attempt.
by OnSong
Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Interested they would let Beard go in Movember. Would think they would wait until December and then cut Beard free
by OnSong
Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Heard the 6'6" bar man at Pie land heading for Ardrossan. I guess you could call him a Pie Floater :lol:
by Lame Choice
Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Phil Hughes badly injured

Really nice statement from the Hughes family

Must have been real tough for Clarke and much respect for him reading the statement on behalf of the Hughes family

Since becoming Australian Captain Michael Clarke has consistently impressed and astounded in terms of his maturity, responsibility and leadership. Legend.
by jo172
Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

jakovasaurus wrote:
barrys antz wrote:Am hearing that Justin Zanandrea has signed at kapunda. handy local and 0 point player to return.

Old news. $800 a game to come back.

Hamley has paid for their premiership, they'll be shit again for next 10 years ;-)
by BoundaryRider84
Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[Former WWT and Sth Adel league player Greg Chapman? Yes, it was unfortunate he is now living in the UK. I think his brother Jack is the front runner in more recent times. Struggling to add to the list at the minute. Previous contenders include Corrie Eichner and the likes of Colin MacKay, Chad Baker, Kevin Jenkin and Jim Barker.

Nah not Greg. You missed Alan McKay! :lol:
by Mythical Creature
Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Swamp Donkey wrote:
RooShootOhh wrote:I assume you are all taking your better halves to 'Rock the Bridge' to support a community event in the plains...?

How much is it gonna cost me to get myself and the better half to this community event Roo?

Enough to cover a new ruckman and at least 3 onballers... You do the math :lol:
by Snags
Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |