Search found 37 matches

Return

Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on a football field

Couple of things come to mind:

1) In a under 14's elim? final being held at Goolwa on a sunday a little old lady to proceeded to walk across the oval from the North Eastern pocket to the South Western pocket while the game was in play. Didn't alter her path, just kept on walking through as the game went on around her. It was found out later that she was going to church and had always crossed the oval to get to the church and wasn't going to alter course for a game of football.

2) Early days of night games at Strathalbyn and they were hosting Yankalilla. As both A grade teams are warming up out on the ground at their respective ends, the word comes out from the runners to the teams that there's been a major crash on one or the nearby arterial roads and that the Royal Adelaide hospital helicopter needs to land on the oval because it is most suitable spot; flat, vast and lit up like a christmas tree. So all players and spectators have to get off the oval. About 15 minutes later the helicopter comes in and lands at CHF at the scoreboard end spraying all in sundry with dry grass clippings. The Ambo drives out on the oval, delivers the patient/s and both it and the helicopter promptly leave the oval. The game was delayed by about 30 odd mins or so and Strath ended up winning the game.
by DoublebluTiger
Fri May 09, 2014 7:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Penbo's Blues

Didn't this guy publicly support that smug, sickening creep Malcolm Fox?

He's a POS. Don't like the fact that he's a Crows fan.
No, he gave a character reference for Fox; this doesn't mean he came out and defended Fox's criminal actions.
Tim Rogers (you am I) is also a massive blues fan.

Dave Graney is a blues fan also.
by DoublebluTiger
Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide radio industry - General Discussion

Would never happen but would love to see what Rowey and Bicks would do if all their callers etc wanted to talk about one topic that wasn't of the hosts choice e.g. People ring up and talk about say... Toby Price's great win in the Dakar rally. Would they give them the time of day or would they cut them off, have their own discussion about the sport they want to talk about (cricket or footy) and then call for listeners to ring up about it?

The summer crew are much better. I wished people realised how powerful they could be by switching off from inept presenters and watch the bean counters make the decisions after their commercial value falls when they don't rate but like a lot of other things in society we're just so apathetic to it all.
by DoublebluTiger
Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Aust tour squad v NZ announced - Sayers in.

Well done to Chadd Sayers for making the Australian Squad to tour NZ. Best of luck. :D

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/australia-test-squad-new-zealand-tour-bird-pattinson-sayers-hazlewood-siddle-warner-smith-marsh/2016-01-20?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nzvaus
by DoublebluTiger
Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great Southern Football League

field of dreams wrote:That's a big comeback JJ!!

Did strath hold on against bays anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They would have. Up by about 5 goals with only junk time to play.
by DoublebluTiger
Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

This is the thing crows fans don't get no matter how many times they're told.

It's not about standard or money, it's about a league with integrity.

I'm happy for the league to become like A1, if that's the standard and popularity then so be it, but at least compete against like clubs and not be a development league for others to play with like a toy.

I see the incentive for people to play in the SANFL diminishing because the league is not a real league anymore.

Well put, agreed.

Yep integrity for me too. Not fussed of standard but would like integrity and respect afforded to league at whatever standard it maybe.
by DoublebluTiger
Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Rucci and Cornesy on 5AA talking about it on main stream media. It's a topic, Get on the phone and tell em. Here's your chance for your voice to be heard!
by DoublebluTiger
Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer

Are channel 9 taking a few cues from channel 10's BBL coverage with boundary line interviews with players and viewing commentators reactions to dropped catches or am I slow on the up take?
by DoublebluTiger
Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vale Freddie Bills

Couple of Freddie Bills videos off SA football Archive Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KojtjX9mh-M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqwq3KYhxUQ
by DoublebluTiger
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Tour of South Africa

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/ball-tampering-episode-the-worst-australian-captaincy-crisis-since-underarm-incident-20180325-p4z63v.html

My thoughts:

Smith to go as Captain. Other guilty parties suspended for a good length of time with them to miss serious and meaningful cricket.
I wouldn't be surprised if Lehmann is relieved of coaching duties after this series either.
by DoublebluTiger
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Tour of South Africa

Can't wait for the Brett Geeves response to this situation
by DoublebluTiger
Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Another great article by the much respected author Martin Flanagan about the AFL and Australian Rules Football in general, using North Hobart as the example. Worth a read.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/a-vote-of-no-confidence-in-the-afl-in-tasmania-20180412-p4z9as.html
by DoublebluTiger
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide radio industry - General Discussion

RE SEN SA
I live just over an hour's drive from Adelaide CBD.
In the car, during the day, it's ok while i remain near the coast. Go 5 kms inland and beyond, it doesn't exist.
At night whilst driving I get better reception (Does fade out from time to time) from 1278 Macquarie Sports Radio and that's being beamed from Melbourne. I cannot get SEN SA.
I get better signal from 1620 AM 'Nostalgia Radio' music station and i'd be certain their budget tech / infrastructure budget isn't bigger than SEN/Croc Media.

This is clearly a 'dip the toe in the water and feel' effort from Hutchy and Co regarding conventional radio. Must be hinging on getting a truckload of downloads on apps on phones / devices etc for listening purposes.
by DoublebluTiger
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It does seem likely when Great Southern comp starts pretty much a month before the K.I. comp does and thus he would play three or 4 games for Yank before returning to Dudley for the commencement of their season.
by DoublebluTiger
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TDK's International Test Cricket Update's

Crawley seems to be a decent prospect. Looks to score but not stupid or reckless in his method. I was impressed in the last test how he coped with Abbas on a tricky wicket, trying to disrupt his length. He's cashed in too getting a big ton, a double ton on the horizon in this test. Will be interesting to see how he goes in Australian conditions.
by DoublebluTiger
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer 2020/21

Interesting to listen to cricket podcasts in recent days in the washup of the boxing day test. Some opinions from past players and leading cricket journalists. It's a bit of mixed messaging in my opinion with some experts saying Australia had poor run rate against the Indian bowlers and then they talk about poor shot selection or players either needing to play their natural game to succeed etc. :roll:

Opinions on Travis Head range from Dean Jones commenting to one of the experts before his passing that Head should move NSW to improve his game. Toughen him up in a more challenging system.
Head's a walking wicket where India aren't worried by him as they can get him out easily.
Ed Cowan think he needs to go back to Shield cricket and re-invent himself as a cricketer. He gets out too many different ways and his lack of tough first innings runs in shield cricket is a black mark against his name among other points made.
by DoublebluTiger
Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

old fullback wrote:I recall a few years ago in the program that when Strathalbyn had a Home Game then Langhorne Creek would have an Away game and Vice a Versa, this seems to have changed now,

I think you'll find that scheduling also applied to Yank and Myponga games and possibly Victor Encounter Bay games.
by DoublebluTiger
Wed May 12, 2021 5:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

:shock: Bit late to care about Clubs being fairly treated after the Player Points debacle :roll:
Yer I agree, but that was a quote from a GSFL email.

Their ‘thought patterns’ have now changed again since.
Games will recommence from Rnd 15 onwards all the way to the end of the season, and the missed Rnd 14 will be played as the final round (like a catch-up round), before finals. This is to save a scramble to move game locations etc. GRAND FINAL will be Saturday 2nd October.

October long weekend isn’t a great solution either, bucks shows, weddings, footy trips, holidays already booked in and paid for. You’d prefer to play AFL grand final day .[/quote]

It now clashes with the Yank Show and as Yank is hosting the GF there will be people who will be double booked, overstretched volunteering their time for both events.
by DoublebluTiger
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Same final in Hills Div 1 today between Hahndorf and Uraidla was 6 goal thriller!

2.16 to 4.14 Hahndorf's way. Comical scoreline.
by DoublebluTiger
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL media

Despite it needing to happen a long time ago surely Rowey has to go from 5AA at the end of the year. Latest ratings has 5AA just making up the numbers and in the business they're in that shouldn't cut it. Too much choice for people listen to, be it interstate and or overseas they can access. For the sake of decent media there have to be changes made.
by DoublebluTiger
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

West Indies v England 2nd Test @ Bridgetown, Barbados

England batting - Root another hundred, Lawrence 50

2/187 with still about 20 overs to play

Looks very much like an English dominant crowd, all on holiday which is a bit sad to see from the local front. Locals priced out from tickets??

You can view the play at the WI youtube channel link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTGW8FgtyDw&ab_channel=WindiesCricket
by DoublebluTiger
Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

With WA's win today, since SA's last shield win, every other state has won the shield at least 3 times. :(
You have to wonder about the SACA hierarchy and their self respect and character to not have their pride, not pricked, but well and truly stabbed to death by these ever increasing and damning stats.
by DoublebluTiger
Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2022 West End State Squad announced

It's Midday local time for the start of the game. Why on God's Great earth are we using a yellow football? First world gripe but it does my head in.... :evil:
by DoublebluTiger
Sun May 15, 2022 2:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Round 14 saw just the one minor upset with L Creek getting out to a 5 goal lead over Myp/Sellicks during the 2nd term and from that point, gripped on to secure a 2 point win to keep their slim Finals hopes alive.
Strath almost did what no other have done so far and beat McLaren. Leading for 3/4s, the Roosters couldn't hang on to see their Finals chances in peril as well.
Victor were having a % booster against Yank before the game was called off early due to a serious injury it was reported.
Can anyone add further to this ?
Bays ticked off the expected win against Compass to consolidate 5th spot for the time being
Willunga added to Goolwa / PEs miserable season with a near 200 point thumping which is never great to see.

4 rounds remain with 7 teams still in the running is great for the comp. I'm predicting the top 5 to finish as it is now but that could easily change on the back of an upset or 2 which invariably does happen.

My observations only - Mid way through the third quarter on the clubroom side wing area a Yank player got caught under a high bouncing ball where upon a Victor player jumped up to punch the ball forward, collecting the Yank play in the ribs/chest area. A pure footy collision with no malice or anything untoward. Full credit to the Victor player as he knew the Yank player was injured badly and stayed with him until trainers etc from both Yank and Victor came out to attend. No scuffles no remonstrating resulting from the collision. Just plain unlucky.

Initially the stretcher came out but it was evident by Yank officials moving to respective vehicle gate access etc that an Ambulance had been called. Unfortunately for Victor (Not as much percentage as they would have got but player welfare is a priority) the Ambulance was coming from Victor as the local Yank one must have been out on a call already. With time already ticking, factoring the time between Yank and Victor for the ambulance to travel plus the time the Ambo crew would need to assess and move the player it was going to be longer than the required time to allow the game to continue. Both teams duly shook hands and that was that.
by DoublebluTiger
Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Week 1 - Finals 2022

Has any team come back from a greater deficit to win a final since Essendon v Adelaide in 1993?

Not according to twitter. 2nd biggest comeback in AFL era.

I wonder if port fans are reflecting on last year's final debacle and feeling a bit salty again seeing a home side in a final pull off that sort of win? I certainly would be,
by DoublebluTiger
Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The SANFL History Exhibition at the State Library provides an opportunity to bring SANFL fans together to consider topics of interest today.

Join the SANFL History Committee in a discussion about the current state of the SANFL Football with consideration of the challenges of the future.

The public forum will be hosted by John Halbert, MBE, AM - Magarey Medallist, Premiership player and Captain of Sturt, State Player, SANFL Hall of Fame and AFL Hall of Fame in conversation with Darren Chandler, General Manager of SANFL.

DATE
Wednesday 21 September 2022
TIME
12 to 1pm

Lunch hour and retirees crowd only?
by DoublebluTiger
Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2022 League Grand Final - North v Norwood (Sun 18/9 @ 3p

So crowd, 20000??

I just went back and couldn't find one? Anyone with an official figure? 27,549

It's time to take back the weekend after the AFL GF slot because the WAFL have now got it, realising its potential to have some 'clean air' as they say in the business.

Great Southern, Southern, Hills Div 1, River Murray, Ammos, Spencer Gulf, Northern Areas, Barossa and probably other Country footy leagues too all played their GF on the Saturday. I'd suggest that a lot of neutrals, general footy supporters connected with clubs in those league probably would be focusing on their local club this weekend be it, hosting, supporting teams in GF's or even wind up days on the Sunday and if anything would be sacrificed it would be a late 'on the day' choice to go to the SANFL GF. I think SANFL needs to consider this if they want to maximise their GF attendance.

As mentioned you are an improved chance of better weather on the October long weekend than mid Sept and it gives the fans of the winning team a chance to celebrate on the Monday holiday.
by DoublebluTiger
Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2022/2023

The ABC cricket podcast have suggested they're going to do a deeper dive into state cricket in future episodes, suggesting they may get a guest on from the relevant state to discuss cricket. Ed Cowan touched on the SA cricket and suggested the difference between Tasmania, who Ed thinks are doing well and population bases are comparable is that while both states have policies of finding players from interstate to give them opportunity, it is Tasmania's ability for their locals to step up and contribute in the Shield comp versus SA who cannot or don't.

I hope they do take a hard look at it for each state.
by DoublebluTiger
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2022/2023

Premier to call for a state wide public holiday for Monday? :D
by DoublebluTiger
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You can listen to the Kiwis v Poms via the Rova Radio app. Black Caps Radio.
by DoublebluTiger
Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Round 3

Creek v McLaren - McLaren the clear tip here to make it 23 wins on the trot. Creeks are up against it coming off a 4 day break where they've lost 3 players due to concussion protocols.
What a game ! Creeks certainly had a point to prove after their poor showing Tuesday night and with the late withdrawl of Mitch Cleggett along with Helyer it was gonna be a huge mountain to climb for them. It was a game played under finals like pressure and a real dogfight for 3 quarters with never more than a goal separating the teams. Could the Creeks keep it up in the last quarter off a 4 day break? McLaren kicked the 1st to go 7 points up whilst the Hawks tried to hang in their. The move of Clifford from down back to up forward paid dividends as he provided a target and the Creeks then broke the game open in a 10 minute burst kicking 5 unanswered goals with Clifford with 3 of them to put them 22 points up close to the 20 min mark and one would think they'd had broken McLaren BUT a team doesnt win 22 on the trot by fluke and they kept the pressure on looking to get back into it with time running out. They threw everything at the Creeks and when the Hawks cracked twice with basic defensive errors to gift McLaren 2 goals they smelt blood. Creeks tried valiantly to hold on before a debatable HTB free to McLaren in front of goal put them in front with 2 minutes to go. They then quickly sealed the win with another to make it 23 on the trot and left the Hawks players and supporters pondering what just happened in the last 10 minutes
Myp / Sellicks should comfortably account for Goolwa / PE at Mudlark Park.
Mudlarks won by about 10 goals

Victor v Strath - This is the game of the round. Leaning towards Victor. Strath were good Tuesday night against Creek but without Clamp and off a 4 day break Victor have all the favours.
Well wasn't this a surprise result. Not so much Victor winning but the margin :shock: Clamp did play as wasn't required for the Crows but it made little difference as Victor ran rampant to win by about 14 goals
Willunga should be too good for E Bay who have had a tough start to the season
Willunga appears to have had a fairly regulation win over the Hapless Bays by about 6 goals

Yank v Mt Compass - Compass shouldn't have too many problems in chalking up a win here
Yank appear in for a very long season as Compass won by 13 goals. A positive for Yank tho is that they did win the B Grade which is at least some consolation and may be a sign that whilst Compass might not be too far off the mark in A Grade, depth may be an issue if they cop injuries ?

Yank Junior colts also won their first game in 2 years apparently.
by DoublebluTiger
Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

The 2023 season schedule release for the Tennessee Titans.

A vox pop on the streets of Nashville to guess Titans' 2023 opponents by logo only. Their responses are hilarious and yet somehow not surprising.

Great to see the Falcons change their twitter handle pic to acknowledge the fun

https://twitter.com/Titans/status/1656827454118412289?s=20
by DoublebluTiger
Fri May 12, 2023 1:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

West Indies v India is live on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/@WindiesCricket Look for the live page from here.

Once again there seems to be stuff all crowd at the game but I guess it's to be expected playing off broadway, in Dominica.
by DoublebluTiger
Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer 2023/24

The West Indies tour of Australia in early 2024 is surely headed for a major financial loss. With one dayers set for MCG and SCG the Windies would need a major reversal of form in the current one day and T20 home series against India and the upcoming home one day and T20 series against England for there to be any shred of interest in their tour to Australia, regardless of where they play. Has me thinking of renewing the Australia A format!
by DoublebluTiger
Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Round 14 guesses

E Bay by 46 over Yank
Victor by 78 over GPE
Myp/Sel by 16 over McLaren
Compass by 28 over Strath
Willunga by 34 over Creek

Bays got the job done over Yank by 22 points who have become a lot more competitive in recent times which is good to see.

Well GPEs huge 8 goal win over Compass only 3 rounds ago is all but a distant memory after copping consecutive hidings, this time at the hands of Victor to the tune of 156 points :oops: :oops:

Myp/Sell took a step further towards securing the double chance by demoralizing ladder leaders McLaren by 47 points who are showing some worrying signs in recent times but barring a complete meltdown will still be fronting up in the 2nd Semi Final so still have plenty of time to get their mojo back.

Compass after holding a comfortable 5 - 6 goal lead for most of the match survived a last quarter charge by Strath to hang on by only 4 points which will go a long way to securing their finals spot.

Well the mild surprise of the round came at the Creek who took care of a listless Willunga by 21 points to keep their slim finals chances alive whilst Willungas double chance hopes are almost gone. I didn't give the Creeks much hope, lining up without 7 - 8 1st choice players and then things got worse after half time losing their 2 key forwards in Mitch Cleggett and Clifford both to injury but Willunga still couldn't take advantage as they struggled to score. Clifford dominated up forward in the 1st half setting the win up with 5 goals and such was his dominance and impact on the game was still named 2nd best for the Creeks despite only playing half a game :shock:

How quickly things change, a few weeks ago Willunga and McLaren probably would have been favored to play off for the flag but now it seems Myp/Sell and Victor would be faves on form. In what has been a topsy turvy season so far i'm sure the trend will continue in coming weeks and into finals with injuries and availability of players the key to clubs hopes.

Had a brief look at the tigs - bays game and it was the third quarter where the game was won/lost. After being up at half time Yank controlled the early part of the third quarter with several forays into forward 50 at the end where scoring was harder but they just couldn't convert. Then the floodgates opened for the Bays slaughtering Yank out of the middle and converting pretty each chance they got to have an unreachable lead at 3 quarter time. Like most sides, Yank need a few big blokes to clunk a mark or two including when needed but the Bays took full value for their efforts and it was the difference.
by DoublebluTiger
Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer 2023/24

I suppose I could have summed it up like this…..

The Taylor and Waughs era both have a series they will always be remember for. Even the Ponting era will be remembered for ‘that’ Ashes series in England albeit we lost

What series is this playing group going to be remembered in history for….. if anything it will be the South African embarrassment or maybe the Windies drawn surprise……….? At present there is no great series win that we will be talking about in 20 years time.

We will talk about one of the great bowling attacks, we will talk about that amazing Steve Smith period he had, we will talk about the odd incredible innings from Head. But as a team I’m not sure we have ‘that series’

I remember them for being the side to go back to Pakistan to play and win when no one else had. Sure security levels of a US president followed them but they won the series and from most reports did a good job representing Australia to Pakistani people and embracing the local culture when possible.
by DoublebluTiger
Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |